arya13 - (Arya Sajedi)Member since June 2, 2010
Habs fan since: 2005
Favorite current player:
All-time favorite player:
- Comment on Habs’ Subban already in gym training for next season; Gorges could be on way out (2014-06-30 09:14:16)
What do you think our chances are to land Iginla? He's looking for a two + year deal, probably in the range of 5 - 7 million. I think he would be perfect for two years, worth maybe doing three. Fills a hole perfectly for us.
- Comment on Habs’ Gorges has surgery on fractured hand, out four weeks (2014-03-10 15:16:45)
Johnny, I believe the speculation was that Tinordi was brought up because MB was dangling Murray in some trades. The pick up of Weaver seemed to bolster this theory as Murray seemed to be able to be replaced by a combo of Weaver on the PK and Tinordi as the big presence on 5 on 5. I think Trade Deadline hit and the asking prices were so low (I mean he got Weaver for a 5th rounder....) so he decided not to move Murray since he has the cap space. And you can never have too many bodies. I'm sure he didn't plan to be able to pick up Vanek for so cheap but when he did, he took that significant cap hit as well. Now, bringing it back to the topic of CJ, there isn't enough Cap Space for Beaulieu to come up. Once Tokaraski gets sent back down or Gorges makes it onto IR, they'll be able to bring Beaulieu up. That's my 2 cents. If he doesn't make it up when either of those things happen, then I'd start to speculate. Now I believe it's just merely a cap space issue. But I could be wrong. Cap Space Law isn't my forte.
- Comment on Audio: Habs make late deal to get Vanek from Islanders; Tokarski to start against Ducks (2014-03-05 18:38:47)
Seems like he's gearing up to ensure what happened in the Ottawa series doesn't happen again. Can't say that I blame him. Why not? Bring up Beaulieu, Leblanc, Pateryn, and Dubynyk as extra insurance. Let's just take 30 people into the Playoffs. We've go the Cap Space, haha. Update: Scratch that we now only have $662k left in space. Only $500 more than Pateryn (don't know if that's planned or not....). So it's only him we could call up at the moment. Unsure if even by the end of the season we could bring up Beaulieu since he has a $925k hit.
- Comment on Audio: Habs make late deal to get Vanek from Islanders; Tokarski to start against Ducks (2014-03-05 18:28:37)
I can see him giving Minny a discount but I doubt he's going to reject all other offers. Let's see how it goes over end of the season / post-season, that might be enough excitement to make him reconsider.
- Comment on Audio: Habs make late deal to get Vanek from Islanders; Tokarski to start against Ducks (2014-03-05 18:26:33)
Agreed. Also factor in a $7M rise in the cap. There's room to pay him $7-8M.
- Comment on Audio: Habs make late deal to get Vanek from Islanders; Tokarski to start against Ducks (2014-03-05 18:24:00)
Oh and that we outbid Boston for him. Icing on the cake. Oh and that somehow we outbid them while giving up nothing? Cherry on the icing. And since we're nearly guaranteed to face Boston in the 1st or 2nd round if we make the Playoffs, that makes it even better. It's an Ice Cream cake. Awesome.
- Comment on Audio: Habs make late deal to get Vanek from Islanders; Tokarski to start against Ducks (2014-03-05 18:18:19)
Those count as conditional picks. For instance the 2nd/5th involved with Islanders will not happen if Habs don't make playoffs. While it seems certain to happen, it would still be defined as future considerations under your definition. Its simply a way of saying nothing without killing the players' ego. I think it harks back to the days when there were 6 GMs with 20 year tenures and sometimes they would make a lopsided trade or give up a player because they knew they could come back in a year or two and be like, you kinda owe me. Not as relevant anymore...
- Comment on Audio: Habs make late deal to get Vanek from Islanders; Tokarski to start against Ducks (2014-03-05 16:54:40)
It was mentioned when he was not signing with Islanders if I remember correctly. But if I was on the Islanders, I'd say anything to get off that team so I don't take it as 100% fact it will happen. Probably a negotiation tactic he used with Snow. Popped out to the media and now it's a fact. I don't think it's that though.
- Comment on Audio: Habs make late deal to get Vanek from Islanders; Tokarski to start against Ducks (2014-03-05 15:56:20)
Let's look at the long term: Cap is going up to $71M next year. Habs currently have $27M of Cap Space. We let Gionta, Parros, Bouillon, Murray walk. We pay a bit more to resign Weisse, White, Eller, Weaver. Let's say $7M for them combined. They currently make $4M combined so that should be feasible. Beaulieu is an extra $900 k if becomes a regular. That gives us $19M to resign Subban, Markov, & Vanek. Doable. If Space is needed, move one of Bourque or Briere to free up an extra $2M. More than enough to ensure the numbers work for all three. That would give us (in no particular order): Vanek - Plekanec - Briere Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher Bourque - Eller - Galchenyuk Prust - White - Weisse Moen, Bournival extra Subban - Markov Gorges - Emelin Beaulieu - Tinordi Weaver extra Price / Budaj That looks pretty good to me. Then the year after with Bourque/Briere gone, Tinordi/Beaulieu with more experience under their belt, we move from very good to potential contenders.
- Comment on Audio: Habs make late deal to get Vanek from Islanders; Tokarski to start against Ducks (2014-03-05 15:40:43)
Who says? I heard one guy mention it earlier and then a lot of people parroting it. Did any actual reporters state that?