TorontoHabsFan - (THF)Member since July 10, 2008
Habs fan since: birth or shortly thereafter. French Dad - 'nuff said ;)
Favorite current player:
All-time favorite player: Beliveau.
- Comment on Liveblog: Canadiens lose a classic to Tampa Bay in OT (2015-03-10 20:40:52)
I'm guessing that DD's playing for the tip and not so much the screen.
- Comment on Liveblog: Canadiens lose a classic to Tampa Bay in OT (2015-03-10 20:26:59)
If Petry is going to stay then Emelin has to go. (do I have that right?)
- Comment on Lightning vs. Canadiens preview (2015-03-10 13:23:21)
Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I wonder though, at the end of the day, is the current age a net benefit or not? Basically I'm trying to decide whether busts are actually good or bad. They're obviously bad for the teams who make the picks - they represent lost assests. But for the players? I think it's a bit murkier. They do get that signing bonus which is obviously huge, but then there's the fact that they have to somehow get past the notion that their life is a failure by the time they're 21 or 22 - I'd be interested to see the stats on depression and substance abuse amongst failed elite athletes. (the things you think of when you're proctoring a midterm!)
- Comment on Lightning vs. Canadiens preview (2015-03-10 12:44:13)
Thinking about Leblanc and 1st round busts in general. I wonder, would everyone be better served by raising the draft age to 20? On the one hand it likely would cut down on busts, on the other hand the current system at least allows for some young men to at least earn a signing bonus (and the potential to parlay early name-recognition into a career overseas). I'm not sure where I stand on this one...
- Comment on Lightning vs. Canadiens preview (2015-03-10 12:34:39)
BrianWilde @BWildeCTV · Mar 7 Wow has JDLR become a MT favourite. That's really incredible. That's a narrative crusher that MT doesn't trust youth.
- Comment on Lightning vs. Canadiens preview (2015-03-10 09:23:40)
Trade that Bergevin should make happen: Ellis or Dumont or Bournival for Grigorenko.
- Comment on Carey Price or Sidney Crosby as No. 1 draft pick today? (2015-03-08 20:52:50)
He did draft that big #1 Centre you speak of - Galchenyuk. Give him a year or two and he'll be better than Kopitar :)
- Comment on Carey Price or Sidney Crosby as No. 1 draft pick today? (2015-03-08 20:43:19)
Something about this current team that I'm really enjoying is just how well the young talent has stepped up this year and taken on more important roles. I remember a few years back when we were all hoping that the Kostitsyns and Plekanec et al. to take some of the pressure off the vets like Kovalev, Tanguay, Cammy, Gomez, Gionta and Koivu. For the most part they were unable to do so and we sputtered along as a veteran-heavy team that frankly wasn't very good. Now the team very much is being led by the young guys. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Beaulieu...these are the engines that make the Habs go (no disrespect intended to Markov or Plekanec. They're having wonderful years, but we're not leaning on either of them in quite the same way we had on veterans in the past). It's refreshing and gives me hope that Montreal will be a competitve team for the near future.
- Comment on Canadiens vs. Blue Jackets preview: Smith-Pelly to make Habs debut; Thomas a healthy scratch (2015-02-25 19:47:29)
Looking through that UFA list, and man...there's some slim pickin's over there. Kinda weird how Erat doesn't get mentioned at all as a potential rental (for any team). I know he's fallen on hard times, but has he fallen that far off the cliff?
- Comment on Canadiens vs. Senators preview: Tokarski, Pateryn, Sekac in lineup for Habs (2015-02-18 10:33:50)
His 5v5 numbers are abysmal though and he's starting to catch heat from the Toronto media - he's starting to be seen as a player who only plays when he wants to. I could see him being moved, but only for a bluechip prospect and a 1st.