toinz - (Anthony Di Domizio)Member since July 10, 2008
Habs fan since: 1990
Favorite current player: Carey Price
All-time favorite player: Patrick Roy
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-27 10:37:38)
like most high school students, the real delay in many of these situations is a real deadline. The arbitration hearing is a perfect example. How many guys ever get to a hearing? Expect a deal Thursday.
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-27 10:33:21)
Shea Weber (by Phi) Ryan O'Reilly (By Calgary) Ryan Kesler (Philly again) Nick Hjalmerson (SJ) Dustin Penner (Edmonton) Thomas Vanek (Edmonton) David Backes (Vancouver) That's all since the previous lockout, so yeah, one or 2 per decade. There might be more. These are just the ones I remember. "Pissing off" not really. You're forcing Boston to move a roster player, making them weaker. The Hjalmerson offer sheet allowed the Sharks to get Niemi when the Hawks could no longer afford him. Vanek making 7 million in Buffalo handcuffed the Sabres for a while as they were a low spending team. Weber's contract severely hampered the Preds as it was very frontloaded. Not a wasted comment at all. Montreal should definitely offer sheet Smith. He would give the team great depth. I am just sure the Bruins would not allow Montreal to get their hands on him. FWIW, I was never afraid of a PK offer sheet because it would be insta-matched.
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-27 09:50:09)
There is a difference between a 7 million dollar cap hit and a 10 million dollar cap hit. If this was pre-salary cap, I'd say break the bank! A GM needs to maximize every cap dollar.
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-27 09:47:00)
Gorges and Gionta were 9 million cap dollars for a meagre amount of production. You can't have that much dead cap space. It kills you!
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-27 09:44:36)
Reilly Smith is worth more than a 2nd rounder. Chiarelli knows it, and would match and trade him. The Bruins would be insane to allow that kind of talent to go Montreal. Montreal should offer the max offer to require only a 2nd round pick changing hands. He's 23, plays big, coming off a 20 goal 50 point season. He's better than Parenteau and Bourque. If Chiarelli is dumb enough to take our 2nd rounder, Bergevin will be even more of a genius!
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-27 09:39:10)
Bergevin knew he had money for either Markov or Gionta and went with Markov. The Gilbert for Gorges trade-off netted Montreal a 2nd round pick, 1.1 million in cap space, and a grateful Alexei Emelin who can now move to his natural left wing. It's very smart cap management. Montreal's bottom 5 D now make roughly 10 million. With that kind of wise cap management, it allows a GM to splurge 15 million on your top pair.
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-27 09:25:40)
Offer sheeting Smith won't even cost the Canadiens any money, cuz the Bruins will match and trade Smith or somebody else to get under the cap. Maybe Marchand, maybe Boychuk. In any case, I hope Bergevin doesn't mind sticking it to the Bruins. Anything that makes a division rival weaker should be considered.
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-27 09:00:15)
The good news is that even after Friday, when PK's cap hit will be known, the Canadiens will have some spare change to throw around. I still think Bergevin should offer sheet Reilly Smith, just to force Chiarelli to make a trade. They've already lost one top-6 forward in Iginla. Losing another would put the Bruins in bad shape going into next year.
- Comment on Fans pack Bell Sports Complex to watch final scrimmage at development camp (2014-07-13 18:11:15)
By your definition, Milos Raonic shouldnt play for Canada.
- Comment on Fans pack Bell Sports Complex to watch final scrimmage at development camp (2014-07-13 18:04:41)
watch what you eat... Ozil was born in Germany Klose was born in Poland to german parents while his dad played for a Polish club. Podolski, who didnt even play this tournament, moved to West Germany when he was 2.