twocents - (Eric )Member since June 24, 2008
Habs fan since: 1972
Favorite current player: Andrei Markov (others: Eric Cole, P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, Lars Eller, Alexei Emelin)
All-time favorite player: Larry Robinson (others: Ken Dryden, Saku Koivu)
- Comment on Habs recall Bournival from Hamilton; battle for jobs on fourth line (with practice video) (2014-10-21 08:34:43)
So how do scouts see players with their own eyes if they are not playing? Of course coaches make line up decisions 99℅ of the time.
- Comment on Habs recall Bournival from Hamilton; battle for jobs on fourth line (with practice video) (2014-10-21 08:03:51)
So, if a scout from team A is scheduled to attend a Team B game in an effort to gather the information you describe above on a player, a player who has not played regularily, and the coach dresses the player so team A's scout can do as you describe, is that not showcasing? If scouts want to see stuff with their own eyes, the stuff has to be seeable.
- Comment on Canadiens trade Peter Budaj to Winnipeg Jets (2014-10-05 14:29:48)
Hi Steve, hope all is well. We will know soon enough. Hear's hoping.
- Comment on Canadiens trade Peter Budaj to Winnipeg Jets (2014-10-05 14:14:29)
Just speculating on a best case scenario outcome.
- Comment on Canadiens trade Peter Budaj to Winnipeg Jets (2014-10-05 14:12:01)
Oh, and thanks, Peter. You were an excellent teammate to all and the perfect compliment to Price, for the time you were here. Happy 25 starts on Portage and Main.
- Comment on Canadiens trade Peter Budaj to Winnipeg Jets (2014-10-05 14:07:57)
Have to say, this looks very good on Bergevin. It's the sort of subtly complex move that separates good GM's from very good GM's. -He makes a veteran happy, Budaj, because he doesn't go to the minors and gets to play the role he is very well suited for. -He saves significant cap space. -He further develops an asset, Tokarski, that he can move in a year or so time with increased value. -He gives a prospect a better chance at seeing the show, Holland, cause face it, that kid was buried with our current depth chart. -He adds a bigger body for Hamilton, Tangradi, and a useful call up, that has already cleared waivers and so can be moved up and down all year in the case of injuries. -He sends a positive message to four players that undoubtedly reverberates with players around the league. If he can do good by Boullion(player/coach in Hamilton) and Moen(trade to a team with little depth) he will make future negotiations all that much smoother and cheaper. He's looking very astute and is growing as a G.M.
- Comment on Habs’ Subban expects arbitrator to decide on his contract (2014-08-01 10:54:32)
Apparently, the reason players want bonuses is that they are payable even in the event of a lock-out/strike situation.
- Comment on Habs’ Subban expects arbitrator to decide on his contract (2014-08-01 10:44:10)
That's not accurate, bonuses are calculated into cap hits. Hit the ? beside bonuses at capgeek and you'll see. The reality of Weber's contact is that he is not likely to play the last three years of his contract at 1 mill per. So if you base his pay over 11 years instead of 14 and 107 mill instead of 110 you'll derive a cap hit of 9.73. In light of this, I think 8.5-9 mill/8 years for P.K. would be reasonable.
- Comment on Best wishes from HIO to young Habs fan battling meningitis (2014-07-30 09:37:56)
Exactly. Those who see this as a sign of reasonable demands on P.K.'s part are mistaken. He is likely asking in the 10 mill. range for a long deal including many UFA years.
- Comment on Former Hab Kovalev announces his retirement (2014-07-03 16:02:23)
I was reading on the previous about the relative merits with regard to timing the aquisition of a sniper. I fully agree that now is not the time. However, I do think that as teams sort out their cap situations later this summer is ideal. Late in the first half of the season is good too, but the idea of waiting until the trade deadline never sits right with me. Firstly, you usually overpay, though MB did well with Vanek. More importantly these players never seem to fully mesh with their new team in time for the playoffs. Very few Cup winners have acquired an impact player at that year’s deadline. Role players yes, extra scoring depth yes, but deals for top players seldom work out. Sometimes they end up contributing to a Cup in ensuing years, but in the same year is a rare occurrence. So Patrick Kane in August please Mr. Bergevin. If dd has to go the other way… so be it.