truebeliever - (Scoop)Member since July 13, 2013
Habs fan since: 1964
Favorite current player: Plekanek
All-time favorite player: Beliveau
- Comment on ‘I feel like it’s my home,’ Habs’ Markov says about Montreal (2014-06-26 09:07:43)
First off, I'm not sure why Tallon would make that trade and gut his team of depth. The Sam Pollock rule is ALWAYS get the best player out of a trade. That's why the Habs were comfortable in their trades for Turgeon and Damphousse those many years ago. Not sure whatever comes of the top of the draft class, you'd ever end up with as interesting and dynamic a competitor as PK. If you had a phenom like Mario Lemieux or Connor McDavid this year, sure ... maybe you go for it. Same if Florida or Edmonton goes for the hostile signing of PK as an RFA. But Habs have the core of an excellent team for many years to come -- Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gallagher, Chucky, Eller, MaxPax, etc. Why risk gutting it? MB will grow it incrementally and look to add key puzzle pieces when he can.
- Comment on GM Bergevin says Habs are a team that still needs to mature (with video and audio) (2014-06-02 16:00:55)
At $3.5M, DD's only market value is in Montreal. It's possible that if Montreal took back a big chunk of the contract, someone else would want him. But he's not a liability, he's just part of a complicated log jam at centre.
- Comment on GM Bergevin says Habs are a team that still needs to mature (with video and audio) (2014-06-02 15:47:06)
Eller seems finally ready to be ugly. It takes a while to build up the bent nose and battle scars, but he's getting there and is really starting to throw his weight around. He's bigger and stronger than Malkin and almost as big as Kopitar, but he has always played with a seed of doubt in his mind. That seems to be leaving him a bit as he figures out the speed.
- Comment on GM Bergevin says Habs are a team that still needs to mature (with video and audio) (2014-06-02 14:35:46)
It's sad, but Pleks is going to be unfairly tarred with that "dive" for the rest of his career. He hasn't really been that kind of a player through his career, but that was a bad one caught on tape. Will he go? It's a numbers game. DD can't go anywhere and unlikely the rights to Eller would be traded unless it was something pretty great in return. If the goal is to get Chucky into the centre position, then there's just no room for Pleks, and his market value to any number of teams would be huge. He'd plug right into Anaheim (losing Koivu), Vancouver, or even Calgary.
- Comment on GM Bergevin says Habs are a team that still needs to mature (with video and audio) (2014-06-02 14:29:49)
The sense was Vail's skating was always going to be a problem, but that he'd make up for it with smarts. The problem is that the Canadiens have a whole lot of those kinds of players and he wasn't about to beat out De La Rose, Dumont, Crisp, Leblanc, Holland, McCarron for playing time. So why use up one of the 50 contracts on a long-shot.
- Comment on GM Bergevin says Habs are a team that still needs to mature (with video and audio) (2014-06-02 13:49:20)
It's a little alarming that there was no mention of Markov when MB was talking about leadership and keeping the team together.
- Comment on GM Bergevin says Habs are a team that still needs to mature (with video and audio) (2014-06-02 13:47:36)
Muller is most assuredly a St. Louis Blue. Maybe Guy Boucher is ready to return from his Swiss exile. But would MT welcome another Francophone who could take his job?
- Comment on “This is the tightest group we’ve ever had,” Price says of Habs (Video) (2014-06-01 21:15:02)
Tinordi should provide some meanness. Maybe Connor Crisp, but that might be a year or two off. For next season, I still like Ben Eager, who skates fast and hits. Hasn't cut it in Edmonton, but that might be situational in a club that's rebuilding. He's still just 30 and a handful. Maybe being closer to home and on a team that is already full of leaders would be the right place for a guy like him.
- Comment on “This is the tightest group we’ve ever had,” Price says of Habs (Video) (2014-06-01 16:55:12)
Louis Leblanc is no Ryan McDonagh. He's just a really average hockey player with little or no fire in the belly. McDonagh was probably never going to sign with Montreal and was looking at heading to free agency, like Justin Schultz. It's part of what UWisc coaches kids to do -- it convinces kids to not sign, stay 4 years, play like maniacs their last two years and sign where they want. The owners looked to try to close the loophole last year in the CBA talks and failed. Now, should Gainey have traded his rights for a stiff like Gomez? Of course not. Should never have punted Koivu for Gomez. It was bad karma and, turns out, a bad hockey decision.
- Comment on “This is the tightest group we’ve ever had,” Price says of Habs (Video) (2014-06-01 16:43:05)
Good players make their way to the top. No one wants Leblanc to succeed more than the Canadiens, as you only have to imagine what he would do to rally Canadiens hometown support. Instead, that is DD and Bournival. It could just as easily be LL, but he's not making it happen. Stop blaming the system. Good players push through. Too often, Habs' have either simply goofed on their draft picks or let them revel in their self-perception of their own greatness and then asked "what happened?".