Habsbill24 - (William Swift)Member since November 29, 2011
Habs fan since:
Favorite current player:
All-time favorite player:
- Comment on (AUDIO) Habs sign Markov to three-year contract; Burns named to Hall of Fame (2014-06-23 17:54:43)
20M left with the Markov signing. Goodbye Gionta. PK probably gets 8, and the Habs need at least another big winger with some of the remaining dough. And we pray we don't have a broken down Markov in a year or two sucking up 5.75M of our cap.
- Comment on (AUDIO) Habs sign Markov to three-year contract; Burns named to Hall of Fame (2014-06-23 14:37:54)
We are doomed. Markov signing is horrible at 5.75 for three years. We will be regretting this day next year or the year after when he has slowed down some more and we have no cap space to sign Chucky and others. Way too much money.
- Comment on Habs sign Weise to two-year contract (2014-06-17 20:48:13)
- Comment on Habs sign Weise to two-year contract (2014-06-17 20:45:51)
Who says Pateryn and Tinordi are one year away. Maybe not.
- Comment on Habs sign Weise to two-year contract (2014-06-17 20:41:36)
Ancient history I know, but back in the Original Six days the Habs played two rookie defensemen regularly in 1963-64, namely Jacques Lapperriere and Terry Harper. They finished first that season (but did not win the Cup). We have to get over this we can't play rookies thing. If they are quality players hey will learn and get better. We can't keep waiting for a future day and overpay fading veterans like Markov. If he comes back at reasonable term and salary ( in my mind two years, 4M per) fine, but if not let him go and let another team foolishly overpay for a defenseman who is fading and will only get worse each season.
- Comment on Markov looking for three-year, $18-million deal: report (2014-06-16 15:43:26)
The Markov I saw in the playoffs could be replaced by an orange pylon. He got burned repeatedly, turned the puck over twice on St. Louis' overtime winner and basically looked finished. Even if we take a step back next year it has to be done because if you never play the kids, they never get experience and we need the cap money for others.
- Comment on Markov looking for three-year, $18-million deal: report (2014-06-16 14:57:18)
It is not relevant what Markov could get on the open market. All that matters is what his contract will do to the Habs Cap. The team cannot tie up 6M a year for three years on an aging defenseman with diminishing skills. After the 2014-15 season each of Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bournival, Tinordi and Beaulieu wil have to be signed to new contracts after finishing their entry level contracts. That will require beaucoup dough and the team cannot be spending 6M on Markov then. And I for one got tied of watching opposing forwards race by Markov or him shooting wide and high on back door plays on the PP or getting beaten down the ice for shorties. He was not nearly the player in the second half of the season that he was in the first and was downright scary to watch against the Rangers.
- Comment on Markov looking for three-year, $18-million deal: report (2014-06-16 11:58:22)
At this this stage of his career you will not win a Cup with Markov. He looked very old and slow against the Rangers. Worn down. It would be insanity to pay 6M for three years, I would not even do it for one. He will get worse rapidly and you will be stuck with a terrible Cap hit. He did very little the second half of the season. You replace him with the kids, Beaulieu and Tinordi plus Pateryn maybe Nygren. All of them together have a Cap hit of about Markov's asking price.
- Comment on HI/O Show: Habs will face more pressure next season (2014-06-13 23:51:28)
Plus Chucky needs to center a line next year.
- Comment on HI/O Show: Habs will face more pressure next season (2014-06-13 23:50:57)
I am not ok with this lineup. Pretty much treading water. No need to bring Gionta or Markov back. Too expensive and too old. Use the kids in their place. We would have gotten killed against the Kings. Too big and fast.