Forum DogMember since October 4, 2011
Habs fan since: 1981
Favorite current player: Subban
All-time favorite player: Naslund
- Comment on Subban, Habs submit salary figures; Lacroix new assistant coach (2014-07-30 13:13:13)
I just don't see how that tragic event should automatically preclude him from having a job with the Habs. The guy obviously has a lot to contribute, including teaching the youngsters the lasting impact their decisions can have on not only themselves, but on others. MB would not have hired him otherwise. Part of his sentence was to work with community groups in that way. And that is entirely apart from his hockey knowledge and his history with the Habs. I myself don't see it as a bad decision, but could be better persuaded if the arguments against weren't based solely on one (hugely negative) point in his life.
- Comment on Subban, Habs submit salary figures; Lacroix new assistant coach (2014-07-30 12:55:48)
That's where (IMO) they'd be delaying the inevitable. If they see PK as a franchise cornerstone, sign him up long-term now. If they don't, go one year and be prepared to deal him.
- Comment on Subban, Habs submit salary figures; Lacroix new assistant coach (2014-07-30 12:52:38)
That language is a bit strong. It is hardly despicable for a manager to try and negotiate the best contract possible for his team and its overall health. MB methodically playing his cards is no more despicable than it is for PK's camp to demand $8.5M. I agree that PK is a person/player of high calibre though, and that he should be Hab for a long, long time.
- Comment on Subban, Habs submit salary figures; Lacroix new assistant coach (2014-07-30 12:47:46)
Personally I don't see the value to a 1 year deal. It only delays the inevitable, unless there is a feeling among management that they may prefer to go with Beaulieu as the #1 offensive rearguard over the long-term. I guess keeping PK an RFA for one more year could let Beaulieu develop a bit more, and still let them trade PK for huge value depending on how next season goes. I have to admit, a long-term deal at $8M will make him hard to move if he stalls in his progression. If they are committed to him as a franchise player, I don't see how they can go 1 year now. Subban's asking price is only likely to increase and, if they dick around like that, he may just decide to play out his RFA years and sign elsewhere once he becomes a UFA.
- Comment on Subban, Habs submit salary figures; Lacroix new assistant coach (2014-07-30 12:32:16)
I would never excuse or condone drinking and driving, but I would suggest that Ramage has suffered considerably for his actions and there is no reason for anyone to hold it over him in perpetuity. He will do that himself. If the Magnusson family can forgive him and move on, the rest of us should be able to as well.
- Comment on Best wishes from HIO to young Habs fan battling meningitis (2014-07-30 12:05:58)
You right. Just hate the idea that he has even considered it. Here I thought he grew up a Habs fan!
- Comment on Best wishes from HIO to young Habs fan battling meningitis (2014-07-30 10:59:29)
I am actually somewhat encouraged by this. If PK is looking at $8.5M as an arbitration award, I am thinking that he could settle for something close to $8M on a long-term deal, and not be pushing for a $9M annual cap-hit. I didn't love his comments in the post about considering the possibility of playing in T.O. at some point in his career, but he is the motor of this team and figures to be for at least the next 7-8 years...
- Comment on Best wishes from HIO to young Habs fan battling meningitis (2014-07-29 14:47:19)
Good to hear the young lad is pulling through. Keep going Alex! Got to admit, there is some pretty good leadership and a real sense of community here at HIO, which seems rare for an internet forum. I myself really only come for the (generally) respectful hockey talk, but obviously for a number of you there is a lot more to it than that. Good on yez! Every positive contribution makes the world a better place....
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-28 18:53:53)
Not sure he has Gallagher's hands or nose for the net. BG had 3 consecutive 40 goals seasons in the Dub. Gregoire might get there next year though.
- Comment on Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open (2014-07-28 18:27:45)
Always enjoy reading about prospects. Surprised I didn't see Lehkonen in there though. Unless he is in the top-five..... Guy scored at a .65 PPG pace as a teenager in the SM-Liiga, despite being undersized. Plays an aggressive game, always around the net.