gmur - (George Murphy)Member since June 15, 2011
Habs fan since: 1969
Favorite current player: Josh Gorges
All-time favorite player: Larry Robinson
- Comment on Leaving Habs was ‘family decision’ for Brisebois (2014-07-24 08:24:31)
Hey! We took Scott Gomer off the Rangers' hands in exchange for star talent... why not Richards?
- Comment on Leaving Habs was ‘family decision’ for Brisebois (2014-07-24 08:22:53)
Interestingly enough, your list shows several players who disappeared once signing a big money contract. Clarkson, Richards were busts and it's safe to say that Phaneuf is far from meeting expectations. The exception is Richards. When Subban gets a big money deal, I almost expect that his play will suffer for a season or two. How do you see Therrien and Subban's relationship flowering once Subban makes 4-5 times Therrien's salary?
- Comment on Habs, Eller far apart heading into salary arbitration (2014-07-23 14:05:08)
Around 3 million for Eller... around 9 million for Subban... Let's hope these players, if and when they receive these contracts, set an example for the younger players in Montreal by keeping up their work ethic and not falling into questionable work ethic patterns after signing their deal... especially Subban. As much as I love how he plays, there's a cockiness that just might go out of control when he becomes one of the richest defencemen in the league. How will he deal with Therrien after signing? In any context where a specific business deal dwarfs others, risk is magnified. In Subban's case, the risk is not his play, but how a big contract will affect his mindset - attitude. As for Eller, I would definitely try hard to keep him... not a whole lot of players with his size and talent available for under 2 million a season... not even under 3.
- Comment on GM Bergevin says Habs are a team that still needs to mature (with video and audio) (2014-06-03 08:22:46)
Lots of talk of getting rid of Gionta and Pleks due to their playoff performances. Bergevin's comments seem to indicate that he won't be getting rid of veterans who guide the team through the gruel of a 82-game season. Some players help you to make the playoffs, others help you get through the playoffs. In my opinion, Gionta and Plekanec are solid veterans who will help the team make the playoffs next year. Unless you find other veterans to replace those two, why not keep them? In any event, if one goes, I hope it's Gionta. Plekanec is a coveted player around the league. In a trade for Plekanec, I would expect there would have to be a top-tier young player in the mix or a steady veteran with size and grit.
- Comment on Liveblog: Conference Final Game 6 – A long, fun ride is over (2014-05-29 23:27:17)
Well, when Bergevin took over, I didn't think he'd bring the team this far, this fast. Very astute moves so far and I'm pretty sure that will continue. He knows his players and he clearly knows how to find good talent around the league. Too bad about the 3rd period. They came out flat and couldn't get it into gear. They had trouble dumping the puck in... man. Frustrating hockey to watch. The rangers played good shut down hockey. What a weird series... from 7-4 to 1-0... Eller had it right after last game. A truly bizarre series... to the end.
- Comment on Liveblog: Conference Final Game 5 – Canadiens win wild one to stay alive (2014-05-27 22:10:10)
Here we go... help.
- Comment on Liveblog: Conference Final Game 5 – Canadiens win wild one to stay alive (2014-05-27 22:09:32)
- Comment on Liveblog: Conference Final Game 5 – Canadiens win wild one to stay alive (2014-05-27 22:09:06)
I'd agree with Stock all the time, but then we'd both be wrong.
- Comment on Liveblog: Conference Final Game 5 – Canadiens win wild one to stay alive (2014-05-27 22:08:25)
True... hopefully, the weak link isn't Bergevin's heart or we may be looking for a new DG this summer.
- Comment on Liveblog: Conference Final Game 5 – Canadiens win wild one to stay alive (2014-05-27 22:07:07)
Drive him to commit to rehab...