habs4evr - (Raj Pande)Member since March 9, 2011
Habs fan since: 1967
Favorite current player: Price
All-time favorite player: Beliveau
- Comment on Hands up, everyone who’s surprised (2011-03-09 17:45:56)The decision is an outright farce. Murphy, Cambell and the others have shown more than once that they are in over their heads and unqualified to assess how to make the decision. And Murphy should have recused himself since he is Campbell's junior. This stuff should go to the courts or a special tribunal of independent experts outside the NHL - enough already. They are playing with lives and the livelihood of players and families, and investments by teams, all with serious monetary and life consequences (e.g., Crosby). It's irrelevant whether Chara intended to cause injury, that he is a good guy, or that he does not have a prior record. Chara knew where he was and he was in total control. The reality is simple - Chara was being reckless and acted with total disregard as to what might happen. This is the issue. This is the conduct that needs to punished and policed by the NHL - the game should be allowed to be pyhsical but without this part. Reckless endangerment of players on the ice is happening way too often - meaning, taking advantage of a player positioned badly or defenseless and making an illegal hit that can cause injury ought to be punished. If with that act, you can cause injury or ruin someone's year, career, talents, or their ability to play to their potential - you must suffer the consequence equally and be held severely accountable. That's the deal outside the rink and no person who is self-serving to the interests of the NHL should trump that.
- Comment on About last night … (2011-03-11 08:51:18)
1. Bettman is arrogant - what kind of businessman would tell a major sponsor (Air Canada) to hit the road, even if he is thinking that. Arrogance in the face of criticism shows fear, incomprehension and incompetence. His contract should never have been renewed, and he has never measured up to the commisioner's job. Roger Goodell's handling of head injuries in the NFL is an example of what Bettman needs to do. Set up an independent commission to study, collect input and make recommendations; show that you care and are paying heed to a problem or the perception of a problem; and take action to show you are handling the concerns or at least have given it thoughtful and full consideration. Blowing off every critic is not the skill we need in a leader. He does not have what is takes to handle this problem and protect the brand.
2. In all the talk by other NHL players. coaches, officials, past and present, some who are now talking heads, about how this is just a rough game and that Chara did nothing wrong - what is being blatantly forgotten is that it was an illegal hit that caused serious injury. There should be an automatic supplemental penalty - min. 2 games. Period. Reckless acts causing serious injury need deterence. If toss the puck opver the boards gets an auto. 2mins - why should serious injuries (especially the head) from an illegal playing have a similar consequence? Why is intent or good character relevant to a head injury from an illegal hit?
3, The league needs to clean up its image. What parent wants their kids to watch a hit like that or 100+ mins of brawling with blood on the ice for the sake of retribution? Its good if the sport wants to cater to the goons in pubs - but the future of the sport is at stake. Its time to elevate the image.
4. Geoff Molson has the leverage of a storied brand behind him - it has pumped a lot of money (the Mtl fans' money) into the NHL - use that leverage and let's clean up and deter reckless conduct on the ice. If the NHL does not police this - the courts will.