songles - (Matthew Higgins)Member since January 18, 2011
Habs fan since: 1990
Favorite current player: Tomas Plekanec
All-time favorite player: Steve Yzerman
- Comment on Manny Malhotra set for Habs debut vs. Avalanche (with Patrick Roy video) (2014-09-25 13:32:42)
And now that you've made this joke the Habs will tank and the Leafs will win the division. WAY TO GO.
- Comment on Habs will go with four alternate captains this season (2014-09-15 10:32:00)
Oh. Wait. You're being sarcastic? I'm relatively new here.
- Comment on Habs will go with four alternate captains this season (2014-09-15 10:30:17)
Why would an NHL coach deliberately try to "ruin" a hockey player?
- Comment on Habs will go with four alternate captains this season (2014-09-15 10:27:51)
GMs have to manage the fans and the media, lest they lose public support for their mandate. From that perspective, this quadruple-A thing is good strategy, because it signals that this is a team in transition that is still rebuilding and still finding its cup-contender identity. In other words, expectations have been lowered.
- Comment on Odds against a Habs rookie cracking lineup this season (2014-09-12 11:48:14)
Sports events are popular because they serve as safe and effective outlets for our inherent love of tribal aggression. If we didn't have organized team sports, we'd probably have a lot more political and violent conflicts (we need some way to satisfy our natural desire to be part of an "us", as defined against "them" -- it's far from rational). The way I see it, singing the national anthem at sports events serves as a reminder that these types of events are part of the privilege of living in a well functioning state, and that in the end we're all on the same side and that therefore the competition should remain honourable and respectful.
- Comment on Fans pack Bell Sports Complex to watch final scrimmage at development camp (2014-07-14 18:19:47)
If he's a generation player, then why not pay him $10M?
- Comment on Update: Habs development camp continues in Brossard (2014-07-09 16:11:01)
I think the big question will be what happens to Patrick Sharp in 2015.
- Comment on Update: Habs development camp continues in Brossard (2014-07-09 16:03:59)
True, but the only reason Chicago might consider such a trade is because next year's draft is supposed to be historically deep; it's for that same reason that Bergevin, who is trying to stock the cupboards for the long-term, will be unlikely to trade a first round pick for 2015. (That said, Sharp is a 30 goal scorer with an affordable contract, so who knows...)
- Comment on Habs’ Subban already in gym training for next season; Gorges could be on way out (2014-06-30 10:07:00)
You think Subban would have accepted a long-term deal at $5 million per year? Subban took a short-term, short-changed deal knowing that it was in his best interest. He went out and won the Norris and became the most dynamic, money making franchise defenseman in the league. Bergevin has to pay the guy now, but he knew that going in. He got his "proof", and now he'll pay fair market price, and P.K. will be the face of this franchise for 10 years. In the meantime, we've got Pacioretty on the cheap, so in a sense it evens out anyway.
- Comment on (AUDIO) Habs sign Markov to three-year contract; Burns named to Hall of Fame (2014-06-24 13:51:11)
Yeah I suppose this year will be a sort of 'window' year for them before a minor retooling that may take a couple seasons.