songles - (Matthew Higgins)Member since January 18, 2011
Habs fan since: 1990
Favorite current player: Tomas Plekanec
All-time favorite player: Steve Yzerman
- Comment on About last night … (2014-10-17 08:52:12)
Sad to see we have a men's rights activist in the HIO community.
- Comment on Bouillon hopes to keep playing after being released by Canadiens (2014-10-07 10:36:34)
I disagree. The English language is so useful and beautiful because it has such a gigantic vocabulary and evolves so quickly to capture subtle new expressions and meanings. For example, hockey folks have borrowed "upside" from the finance world, i.e. "an upward movement of stock prices," because it expresses the fact that, from a GM's perspective, a hockey player is an investment or an asset. As for "trending pattern," I've never heard this phrase before, and it's certainly redundant -- a trend is a type of pattern after all. But the word "trending" is way more precise than the word "moving." Moving is vague and can describe any random action. Trending specifically suggests an observable pattern.
- Comment on Manny Malhotra set for Habs debut vs. Avalanche (with Patrick Roy video) (2014-09-25 13:32:42)
And now that you've made this joke the Habs will tank and the Leafs will win the division. WAY TO GO.
- Comment on Habs will go with four alternate captains this season (2014-09-15 10:32:00)
Oh. Wait. You're being sarcastic? I'm relatively new here.
- Comment on Habs will go with four alternate captains this season (2014-09-15 10:30:17)
Why would an NHL coach deliberately try to "ruin" a hockey player?
- Comment on Habs will go with four alternate captains this season (2014-09-15 10:27:51)
GMs have to manage the fans and the media, lest they lose public support for their mandate. From that perspective, this quadruple-A thing is good strategy, because it signals that this is a team in transition that is still rebuilding and still finding its cup-contender identity. In other words, expectations have been lowered.
- Comment on Odds against a Habs rookie cracking lineup this season (2014-09-12 11:48:14)
Sports events are popular because they serve as safe and effective outlets for our inherent love of tribal aggression. If we didn't have organized team sports, we'd probably have a lot more political and violent conflicts (we need some way to satisfy our natural desire to be part of an "us", as defined against "them" -- it's far from rational). The way I see it, singing the national anthem at sports events serves as a reminder that these types of events are part of the privilege of living in a well functioning state, and that in the end we're all on the same side and that therefore the competition should remain honourable and respectful.
- Comment on Fans pack Bell Sports Complex to watch final scrimmage at development camp (2014-07-14 18:19:47)
If he's a generation player, then why not pay him $10M?
- Comment on Update: Habs development camp continues in Brossard (2014-07-09 16:11:01)
I think the big question will be what happens to Patrick Sharp in 2015.
- Comment on Update: Habs development camp continues in Brossard (2014-07-09 16:03:59)
True, but the only reason Chicago might consider such a trade is because next year's draft is supposed to be historically deep; it's for that same reason that Bergevin, who is trying to stock the cupboards for the long-term, will be unlikely to trade a first round pick for 2015. (That said, Sharp is a 30 goal scorer with an affordable contract, so who knows...)