kazmojoMember since January 16, 2008
Habs fan since: 1977
Favorite current player: Saku Koivu
All-time favorite player: Guy Lafleur
- Comment on About this season ... and next season ... and the one after that ...
Counterpoint to Boone's analysis: Chicago has a similarly undersized defense corps, and finished last in the league in hits.
- Comment on Therrien: "We've got to make sure we go back to basics."
Habs have both speed and skill, but missing that third ingredient: size. Not many opportunities this offseason to address that shortcoming, save for Ryder's roster spot. I'd like to see someone like David Clarkson in that spot instead.
- Comment on Subban's stock falling with each Habs win
This year's pro-rated cap is $70M+. Next year it goes down to $64M+. And next year, Desharnais will likely be seeking a big bump in salary, which crowds the cap even further. Bergevin's ace card: one more player can be bought out next year without a cap hit, like Gomez this year. I'm guessing that's Kaberle, given his salary and underproduction. Would be interesting if Subban got Kaberle-like money.
- Comment on Blake Geoffrion expected to make full recovery
Your math skills need some work. Obama had 3M+ more votes. Not lopsided, but decisive nonetheless.
- Comment on Audio: Price signs for six years, $39 million
Love the signing of Bouillon, if only because it rights half the wrongs Gainey perpetrated the summer of 2009. The other, bigger part was swapping out Koivu for Gomez. Like the other contracts too, except Armstrong's. SJ signed Adam Burish (similar size and also right handed) for less of a cap hit -- albeit over longer term. He can play both RW and C, won almost 56% of his faceoffs last year, was a key penalty killer, and plays with grit too. Add the Stanley Cup experience in Chicago, and he's more valuable than a cheap shot artist like Armstrong.
- Comment on Saku, Gainey back in NHL picture
Gainey also tried to re-sign Kovalev and Komisarek when they went UFA. Gionta and Gill were plan B.
- Comment on Devils OT win pushes Panthers to limit; Bruins-Caps decide Game 7 tonight
Great post. Couldn't agree more.