HI/O Show: Nilan says the ‘curse of Ovechkin’ cost Russia at Olympics

Former Canadien Chris Nilan and Mike Boone were the guests on the latest episode of the HI/O Show, discussing the Sochi Olympics and Team Canada along with Gazette sports editor/host Stu Cowan.

Nilan had a simple explanation for Russia’s early elimination in Sochi.

“It’s the old curse of Ovechkin,” he says about the star player who was limited to one goal at the Sochi Games while Russia was eliminated in the quarterfinals by Finland. “The Washington Capitals are stuck with the curse of Ovechkin … he’s never going to win anything there. …. I don’t think this guy will ever win a Stanley Cup or a gold medal.”

Among the other topics discussed on the show are Team Canada coach Mike Babcock’s strategy and his decision not to play P.K. Subban, Sidney Crosby, the pressure of playing at the Olympics and whether NHL players should return to the next Olympics.

You can watch a new HI/O Show every week at hockeyinsideout.com.

The next episode – with Nilan and Gazette columnist Dave Stubbs as the guests – will be available at around 5 p.m. on Thursday. We’ll look back at the Sochi Games and ahead to the Canadiens’ returning to the ice after the Olympic break on their drive to the playoffs.

(Photo by Sterling Agres/HI/O Show)

1. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Heard Healy earlier in the Oympics talk about the goalie equipment being worn here at the Olympics. The standards are different from the NHL according to him, and he also alluded to the fact that there was a number of different officials doing the measuring of it prior to games whom he stated weren’t being very stringent in their measurements. The upper body armour they are wearing appears much larger than the present NHL equipment.

Lundqvist looks like he covers the entire net like a sumo wrestler. I wonder if Price has adopted a larger body armour also? And if so, will there be a re-adjustment when coming back to NHL standards?

2. L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

@Jim.

Don’t worry about Price. There is a reason he is there, and we’re all biting our nails, over here. :)

3. habstrinifan says:

Congrats to Team Canada womens hockey and Curling.
    Olympics still kinda hard to deal with though… too much stuff not in spirits of game.

4. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

My take on the upcoming Curling Mens Final. Canada caught a bit of a break with David Murdoch’s Scottish rink upsetting Niklas Edin’s
    Swedish rink. While Murdoch is a past world champion that was a different team he had. His new team is obviously very good, but Edin’s team was last years World Champion and perhaps Edin is the best non canadian curler in the world at throwing big upweight.

Today’s game will be great, and I really hope Jacobs team can continue their momentum. Canada vs Scotland, the birthplace of curling versus the current Kings of Curling. A classic matchup.

• L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

It’s nice to read the inside scoop on the curlers. For curling dummies like me, it sure helps a lot. :)

• Habfan10912 says:

I always thought curling was similar to shuffleboard but it really isn’t, eh?

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I think curling has a great deal more physical element to it. If you know what i mean. ;-)

• habstrinifan says:

Watch one match and you will be hooked completely. Especially if the commentators are good at their stuff. I dont think the people who do it on CBC are as good as that former TSN crew when Women’s curler Marilyn Darte was in her prime. They got me hooked on the game with all the explanations of the strategies.

And of course Marilyn Darte’S TEAM … but we wont go there LOL.

• PsyCONADIAN29 says:

Good Morning Burly,
      I really find it difficult to cheer for Canada in curling this year. There’s a young up and coming curler who should be playing by the name of Rocks McFadden. He was brought to Sochi but has had only practice time. It’s a absolute travesty, a slap in the face that he has not seen any action. He should be at least a third on this team. He’s much better than Ryan Fry! What is Curling Canada thinking???
      If they don’t win gold skip Jacobs will be held accountable. Will he be coming to Montreal soon so we can all boo him and make him feel bad????

;-)

• Habfan17 says:

When I was a kid, there were 3 sports I could not stand watching on TV, Baseball, Golf, and curling! They were too slow moving for me.
      fast forward and I still can’t watch golf, but I was fortunate enough about 20 years ago, to be asked to curl in a bonspiel as they needed an absolute rookie on each team. I gained a healthy respect for the game and really enjoyed it Now I like to watch it since I understand the game so much better.

Habfan17

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Curling also adopted a rule where the first 4 rocks of the end if not in the rings cannot be removed, they call this the Free Guard Zone. This has been a huge development in curling as it created a much more exciting game. In the past teams with hammer would just hit rocks until they needed their winning point.

5. L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

“He doesn’t have too many weaknesses, so I’m not going to tell the boys too much obviously,’’ Pacioretty said Thursday after practice. “He’s one of the best goalies in the world. He’s been playing great hockey this year. Just like any goalie you got to try and not let him see the puck. It’s the only way you’re going to beat him.”

6. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Speaking of McGuire, actually, he said yesterday on the radio that EVERYONE was talking about Johnny Oduya, and that will be the one truly great story out of the olympics.

…what’s he talking about?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. Saintpatrick33 says:

I wish Pierre would just shut the F up already. Gets on my last nerves

8. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Ice conditions look awful again, puck just refuses to lay flat, constant bouncing.

9. CJ says:

Good morning folks!

Weather has derailed my original plan, which was to see the Bulldogs in Montreal tonight. Instead, as B suggested yesterday, I’m going to head over to Gatineau to catch the Olympiques play Baie Comeau. I look forward to sharing a report on Reway, Hudon and Gregoire following the game this evening.

I have a few thoughts regarding team Canada, which I will share after I get the little guy fed, bathed and transported to grandma and grandpa’s.

For those who are mobile today, safe travels. Cheers, CJ

10. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Jimmy Hughson (that’s my inner Pierre McGuire coming out) just said exactly what I was thinking: Finland showing waaay too much respect for the Swedes.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. Maksimir says:

WOW – Rask out for Finland… flu bug.

12. Prop Is Canadian says:

The 1-2 finish at woman’s freestyle skicross propelled Canada to #2 in medals!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

13. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

No Rask, out with flu, huge hit for Finland again.

14. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Nilan mentions the Curse of Ovechkin and he might be on to something…

In the past years 6 years of playoffs, the Caps have lost 4 Game 7 playoff series – and those Game 7′s were on HOME ice.
    They did that 3 years in a row- 2008-09-10, and again last year.

Put in perspective, the last time the Habs lost a Game 7 on home ice was back in 1985 against the Nordiques.
    Before that it was 1980 against Minnesota, then way back in 1964 against the Leafs

• Cal says:

Morning Ronn,
      Ovechkin’s play is due to Leonsis handing him that insane contract. He’s a uni-dimensional player who is pretty useless if he doesn’t score.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hey cal

They put that “C” on his sweater way too young and before he proved any leadership qualities.

Now they’re stuck between a rock and a hard place.
        They can’t rip off that C, and he may not be as easy to trade as many may think.
        First, Caps fans would boycott, then it would take a special team to pick him up.

I still get the feeling he’ll pull a Kovalchuk one day…

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Also means the Caps have been in four Game 7s.

15. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. Will be glad when this one us over. Just can’t enjoy this one at all. I feel the weight of a nation is on Price. Totally unfair in my opinion but such is life.

• Cal says:

Ought to be a better game for Canada, but it probably won’t be. Your US team is playing the kind of hockey I enjoy watching.
      This won’t be on Price if Canada doesn’t get through. He’s not the one dictating the style of play Canada employs. It’ll be on Babs, Fatso and Jabba, otherwise known as the Idiot Three.

• Habfan10912 says:

Cal, I keep looking at the roster of players on Canada and I just think its only a matter of time before their skill takes over. Wouldn’t
        surprise me the least if it didn’t start this afternoon. CHeers.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Jim

Fair or not, this will boil down to Price vs. Quick…and who can take the pressure.
      Many claim Price is the best in the world.
      It’s time for him to prove it

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I am as big a fan of Price I think as there is, I don’t recall saying he is the best in the world. I do believe he is in the upper echelon, but he hasn’t had a chance to prove that. The best in the world usually play on the best teams. They tend to help make goalies look the best.

Price has played his NHL career on an average Habs team.

I hope after today he is considered one of the best.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I don’t believe Patrick Roy would buy into that
          :-)

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

And that is why in his era he was the unquestioned best goalie in the world. Hasek for a time did the same.

Edit: And after Roy left Montreal, didn’t hurt him to play on a talent laden Colorado team.

• Maritime Ronn says:

burli

Price has been fantastic this year and great when actually called upon in these Games.
            I don’t know how much Stephane Waite had to do with it – only those 2 know for sure.
            I’m looking for a huge game from him

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Ronn. It’s not the fair criticism of Price that worried me. There is an unrealistic expectation placed on this guy by way too many fans. It borders on the insane and if continues could very well begin to interfere with his game. That’s what worries me. He’s the most important player moving forward on our team.

• Habfan10912 says:

I hear ya Ronn but isn’t the pressure on Price nowhere near what it is for Quick? Quick could walk anywhere in California and no one would know who he is. Price? We all now that story.

The type of pressure Price is under can crush strong men. I’ve seen it. That’s what gives me stomach pains. That’s why as an American, proud I may add, is so friggin torn today.

• SPATS says:

Keep Calm & Carey On ;)

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

16. gmur says:

I noticed that a lot fewer Americans were crying yesterday despite a heartbreaking loss… looks like they’re used to Olympic silver now.

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

17. zephyr says:

it’s a travesty that subban isn’t playing. team Canada is run by a committee because they are covering their butts in case they lose. this risk averse behaviour has been manifest in the way the team plays & even in their decision not to dress subban. it’s like they’re playing not to lose. 2-1 over Latvia? c’mon. good thing we had hamhuis, vlasic & bouwmeister back there instead of pk – who is the most dynamic dman Canada has.
    I’m afraid for Canada today. be interesting to see who the officials are for this game. you have to wonder why bettman, the thug, is in socchi fighting with Olympic officials. why is he threatening to withdraw nhl players from future Olympics? is he trying to influence something?

• montrealtilldeath says:

I will be reluctantly cheering for team Canada today but only because of Carey Price. This absolute humiliation of PK by this Team Canada coaching staff has me extremely upset. If Therrian continues with his attitude towards PK he will leave. He loves Montreal but one must have respect. It will be Patrick Roy repeated. Journalists mocked him in his first playoff when he said he was going for the Stanley cup as the Habs were a weak team. I liked that attitude as it reminded of the glory days. For the true Canadiens there is only on objective.

18. thehabsfan29 says:

Eller, Collberg,Lekhonen & high pick for E.Kane?

Or would we have to add more value wise?
    Would rather not give up Tinnordi or Beaulieu if we don’t have too
    (And Yes i’m aware this deal wouldn’t work cap wise just curious if something like this would work value wise)

19. GL says:

I look at it this way. Will they play like our Girls all Heart or will they play like over paid NHL Bums. Our Girls don’t make their kind of money and they’re GOLDEN GIRLS!! I love every one of them all great players with tons of skill and all Heart to go with it. I have to pay a compliment to the USA girls. They played one heck of a game. I think both teams should have won GOLD.

Kaitlyn Lawes is also very awesome, btw.

And I think Tessa Bonhomme should become the regular cast member for TSN. I’ll watch.

After watching Canadian girls pulling of a heroic win I just can’t bring myself to feel anywhere the same about the men’s team. Everything about it reaks – player choices, lack of performance, lack of heart and passion, $$$, the “r” word… you name it.

23. Habilis Canadianis says:

I’m trying to think of how many teammates will be playing against each other tomorrow. It’s a lot.

Top of my head:

Price vs Patches
    Doughty and Carter vs Quick and Brown
    Toews and Sharp vs Kane
    Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester vs Oshie and Backes
    Nash vs Callahan and McDonagh
    Kessler vs Hamhuis

I must be missing some.

Edit: Missing Crosby and Kunitz vs Martin and Orpik. Also missing Vlassic and Marleau vs Pavelski. Also Duchene vs Stastny. Plus I forgot Shattenkirk for the States with the St. Louis guys.

24. chilli says:

It really feels like everything is riding on Price’s shoulders.

That’s a lot of expensive firepower up front not scoring at all. For Price, no different than playing for the Habs – - it still just comes down to him as his forwards only score 1 or 2 goals.

Tre

25. Sportfan says:

Seing the Bulldogs tomorrow at the Bell Center aside our D any players I should keep an eye out for?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the Bulldogs was perceived as an overall talentless, dull Team, coached by a dull Coach from my recent attendance of Their recent game in Abbotsford

…aside from Tinordi and Pateryn

…one game is a VERY small sample size, so hoping You’re experience will be opposite of Mine

…I would still be hopefully looking closely for any form of Life from Louis Leblanc

…Andrighetto was invisible that game, yet I hear others talking enthusiastically about Him …so He should be on Your radar

…Christian Thomas did not play in Abbotsford

Crosby is team Canada’s DD.

27. Sportfan says:

LOL Doughty tells his teammates to shoot high on Quick, Patches tells his teammates Price is hard to beat and he has no weakness. Thanks Patches!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…BIGGEST game of Carey Price’s career tomorrow

…win and the ‘doubt demons’ have magically vaporized in the ether

…lose, and it will re-fertilize the Halak/Price storm like it was a picnic at the beach

…as a Habs Fan, this Olympic tournament has very much more riding for Carey and the Montreal Canadiens than it does for P.K.

• piter says:

It’s unfortunate that Price doesn’t have any goal support. It wouldn’t even be an issue if they scored more than 2 goals a game.

• Cal says:

Sorry HiS, I can’t agree. This is all on Babs, Fatso and Jabba. Price has been played because he has simply played magnificently this season. The “dissing” of PK will bring him back to Montreal ready to prove the Idiot Three wrong.

29. Curtis O Habs O Canada says:

I feel better about the 2012 woman`s soccer loss now.

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I can’t question Babcock replacing any of the present top-6 D for P.K., but Hamhuis over P.K. ??? :( …oy vey !!!

…is that confirmed ?

• Phil C says:

It is completely ridiculous. I can’t believe the media is not on them more for that. The coaching staff better hope they win because this decision is right up there with putting Ray Bourque in the shoot-out over Gretzky.

31. Sportfan says:

Kevin Dineen singing oh Canada with the coaches was awesome and really funny at the same time.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

32. habsfan0 says:

If it’s true that that !$#%&! Babcock is benching PK and Canada loses tomorrow or on Sunday, I wouldn’t want to be in Babcock’s shoes Wednesday when Detroit visits the Bell Centre.

• Timo says:

What makes you believe he might not bench PK? I think he was pretty clear that PK will not play. And I do hope some ill will happen to him when Detroit visits Mtl.

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…to Me, Szabados looked literally bigger in Her net than Carey Price …would like to see what padding she has underneath her sweater

…or, …maybe safer I don’t :)

34. Sportfan says:

Imagine if Jordan Eberle and Marie-Philip Poulin had a kid Lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. Luke is Canadian says:

I cannot even describe the assist Bennett earned on the OT winner.

Holy. Poop.

36. DoopsyDiddler says:

Ovechkin had the same number of points as Crosby against stronger opposition. But he’s Russian so he’s not a team player.

That’s not analysis. It’s noise.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Crosby is playing like crap too. He shouldn’t have a musical chairs selection of wingers to get him going. Babcock is taking a page out of Therrien’s playbook. If your first line center isn’t producing screw chemistry, break up lines that are working just so you can get one player going. If he’s the best player in the world Crosby needs to get Crosby going.

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I only just reached the ladies’ tying goal and awaiting the over-time intermission

…I know it’s like enjoying a fly squirming on the end of a needle, but am sadistically enjoying the disbelief on American fans’ faces in the crowd :)

…NOTHING like a little S & M among friends :)

38. BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Feast your eyes people!
    Assuming those ahead don’t win any more medals, if our hockey team were to take either gold or silver, they’d take either 2nd or 4th place in the medal count.

I know. It’s not finished yet. But good luck to our Canadian men’s team.

39. SUMO says:

Love Knuckles. His analysis is concise and thoughtful. Listening to him rip Ovechkin then discuss Markov and Subban reminded me of a younger Don Cherry on early editions of Coach’s Corner before his schtick became old and tired. Also Nilan, unlike Cherry, doesn’t talk over the moderator or hog the mic.

Thanks Stu another good show this week. You do a great job of moderating, getting all the guests involved in the discussion.

One suggestion, I noticed you added the names of each panellist during the introduction. Its a nice touch. Something else you guys may consider is when you switch to the close-up is to add each guest’s twitter handle on the bottom of the screen or in Knuckles case add his career stats or seasons with the Habs. Or Boone’s relentless blogging of Habs games and ALN since HIO’s inception.

Cheers.

40. 1010 says:

I can`t really figure out why everybody is so upset because a penalty shot wasn`t awarded. I`ll take a 4 on 3 powerplay over a penalty shot every time. If you don`t score on the shot, the other team instantly grabs momentum. Two minutes of an extra man with all that room…. I liked our chances more that way.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I’m not upset, if I was the U.S. I would be upset, I’m sure they would have rather Canada had one kick at penalty shot instead of the player advantage. As you said, 4 on 3 is huge advantage.

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

And a very strange call at that.
        It was clear tripping (skate on skate), but the player was called for cross checking.

And honestly, when the US had the man advantage in overtime and were called for the slashing penalty, that was a very weak call.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I also said as much. In fourteen paragraphs.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

The slash was beyond weak and the skate contact was incidental as best. I do remember a Canada US womens game years ago dominated by U.S. powerplay after power play, so perhaps the cards were turned this time.

I am glad the goals themselves were clean and good goals, but I do understand the US team not liking those calls if they were or do complain.

41. UKRAINIANhab says:

3-1 Canada! Book it

42. boing007 says:

The girl who scored the bronze medal winning goal for Team Switzerland today is 15 years old. Keep women’s hockey in the Olympics.

Richard R

43. jimmy shaker says:

If ur referring to mike babcock…..yes, I feel he’s a good coach, and would take him over our beloved MT. He is unfortunately keeping PK in the presser based on his at times erratic/high risk play, compared to Hamhuis. Sure and steady is babcock’s play at the moment, although I do think he is wrong and a weapon like PK needs to be on the bench just in case!

Shaker out!

44. JohnnyCanuckful says:

Price must have forgot he plays for the Canadiens.
    If he was any kind of teammate he would have taken out Hamhuis during practice today. Accidentally, of course.
    Mock fight. Playful slash. Jocular elbow.

45. BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Timo was talking below about Jennifer Jones’ reaction today.

I had to travel today, so for the first time in these Olympics, I PVR’d something. Both the curling match, and the women’s hockey game.

That recording is staying on there. I guess I’m stuck with Bell forever now.

But her reaction brought tears to both my wife’s and my eyes. Watching her during the close-up interview with her teammates, talking about the year she’s had, her newborn…..

I love our athletes. And although our women curlers might now be quite as attractive as the Russian curlers, I’ll take ours any day of the week. Wayda go girls. All of Canada is very proud of you.

Curling and hockey.

46. Danno says:

What’s the word on PK?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

47. Un Canadien errant says:

The gold medal game in Women’s Hockey is an instant classic. It was tightly contested, hard-fought, and I caught myself on a couple of occasions literally on the edge of my seat, rather than comfortable lounging on my couch. I was watching a couple of hours behind everyone on my trusty PVR, and I repeatedly had to fight the urge to skip ahead or check online to find out how it turned out. Am I ever glad that I didn’t start fast-forwarding when the Americans made it 2-0.

The final’s narrative will be different depending on which side of the border it is spun. The cool thing will be that it won’t evolve independently, and go in different trajectories. We’ll bicker as neighbours over the facts of the case, and argue each other’s conclusions, but in this age of livecast television, live streaming, Twitter, etc., we’ll have started with the same source material, at the same time, with roughly the same instant analysis.

As we headed to certain defeat, I formulated the thought that the American team was clearly populated with better athletes. They seemed faster, more explosive skaters, for one thing. Their shots were more dangerous, a couple of their blueliners could really blast the puck at the net, something which the Canadians seemingly couldn’t do. A lot of our shots seemed to be flip shots, instead of true wrist shots, they fluttered to the net instead of whistling in. Sometimes we had clear possession of the puck but failed to clear it effectively, the puck would hit the boards and die instead of rattling around and out of the zone. Or we’d try to clear through the middle, but the American players would easily intercept those.

If I’m the Canadian coach, starting tomorrow, I put my girls on a daily regimen of 100 pushups a day, every day, for the next four years, on top of all the other training they’ll have to do. It’s harder for ladies to develop upper body strength, but they won’t be able to generate shot velocity if they can’t flex the shaft of their stick, and that will only come with strength from the chest and shoulders, from the arms, from their abs and hips and core.

So nice job ladies, but hit the deck and give us a hundred, we have to defend our gold in Korea. No time to waste, this American team won’t go away.

Oh, and we’re going to need to match their explosiveness, so we’ll have less hiking and more running stairs, less yoga and more deadlifts. It was scary on a couple of occasions how much faster the American players looked, notably on races to retrieve the puck in the Canadian zone. It seemed the American forwards were taking two strides for every sluggish step the Canadian defence player took. At first I thought the Canadian must have been at the end of a shift, and out of gas, but it became evident that there was a large gap between the fastest Americans and the more ponderous Canadians.

Where the Canadian team shined was in goal, with Shannon Szabados making spectacular saves all game long. The coaching staff played a hunch there, in making the change mid-tournament from Charline Labonté, and it paid off. Ms Szabados never seemed bombarded or overmatched or lucky, just athletic and sharp. And fantastic.

Another aspect which the Canadian team dominated was in terms of their system of play, their team game, their cohesion. The team was more than the sum of its parts. Whereas the Lamoureux sisters and Hilary Knight on the American side were noticeable individually, it wasn’t enough to overcome the steadiness and veteranship of the Canadian team. They passed the puck well, would circle back and be patient when they found their way blocked, they defended well as a group, at even-strength and on the penalty kill.

The fact that they didn’t lose their composure when down by two goals late in third, but kept fighting, while I was already trying to reconcile myself with the silver medal, speaks volumes.

Mark Lee spoke of Coach Kevin Dineen’s bench management during the tournament and the game in particular, how he never stopped coaching, and trying different line combinations, notably trios that had played well together in the previous Olympics. They never gave up either, so the coaching staff deserves credit as well.

Kevin Dineen just probably earned a chapter all to himself in the “Encyclopedia of Coaching”. Taking over a team in disarray two months prior to the Games, while having precious little experience coaching women, but turning the tide and taking them to the gold medal is a magnificent result. He can probably write his own ticket from now on.

He took on the job on a temporary basis, after having contacted Hockey Canada about opportunities, which he admittedly thought were more likely to be at the Men’s World Hockey Championships in the spring. So with a two-month interim stint he covered himself in glory. He’ll probably get some NHL offers soon, but I wonder if he may be tempted to sign up for another four years.

You have to think that in the last few weeks he thought to himself many times how well he could have done, how much more he could have accomplished, if he’d just had more time to mold his charges, to polish their game. Well now, he can have all the time in the world to take this program and try to catch up and surpass the American team, which has been superior overall in recent years. I can’t believe that he’s not charged up by the experience, that he’s not seduced by the possibilities.

It’ll be up to Bob Nicholson of Hockey Canada to make him an offer he can’t refuse, that could make him put the NHL on hold. It can wait. After all, Mr. Dineen has proven to be nimble and flexible. For example, he’s not that dogmatic that he absolutely has to play a leftie with a rightie on his blue line. He seemed to have the revolutionary notion that when it came down to it, he was better off putting his best players on the ice…

There will be some debate about the competence of the refereeing crew. I must admit that when I heard the referee was from the U.K., I thought that was equivalent to having a Ugandan judge for the ice dancing competition. I know it would have been near impossible for a Canadian or American to act as officials in this game, but are there not any others from traditional powers like Russia or Sweden, that might have more experience? And I say this without having any knowledge of the résumé of the refs, maybe they were on paper the best choice, but in practice the results suffered.

I don’t have a problem with the slashing call on Jocelyne Lamoureux in Overtime. I generally detest the concept of not penalizing trips or hooks or other infractions based on the severity or the score or time left, etc. An infraction is an infraction, whenever it happens. To ‘let them play’, as is often heard, equates to ‘let them cheat’. Ms. Lamoureux couldn’t see the puck on the play, it was frozen by the Canadian goaltender, she showed indiscipline when she swatted at her pads. Maybe she was trying to score, but maybe also she was trying to ‘instigate’. And maybe hockey players shouldn’t hit each other with sticks. Just because an NHL ref wouldn’t have had the spine to make this call doesn’t make it the wrong call.

Further, the referee had made a specific trip previously to the U.S. bench to warn Meghan Duggan and the rest of the team generally about a slash to the Canadian keeper. They had been told not to do it, but Ms. Lamoureux couldn’t muster the discipline to heed that injunction. So the blame rests with her.

There were some other whoppers though. Hayley Wickenheiser was hauled down from behind on a clear breakaway, bringing the ref to whistle the play dead and point to centre ice, the sign for a penalty shot, which would have been the right call. Except she reconsidered mid-stream, and then awarded a penalty for cross-checking. Which was bizarre.

Ms. Wickenheiser was tripped by Hilary Knight as the latter was desperately trying to catch up. Ms Wickenheiser protected the puck from a stick-check attempt, the American forward tried to switch sides and their skates collided. Whether it was intentional or not is immaterial, the Canadian player was brought down illegally, and the act had to be penalized. What is very strange is how this was deemed to be a cross-checking penalty.

The lowlight which could have forever lived in infamy as an instance of bad officiating is how, late in the third with Canada playing with an extra attacker in the offensive zone and trying to tie up the game, a lineswoman backed into Canadian defender Catherine Ward and caused her to cough up the puck. An American player managed to clear her zone, and the puck headed for the empty net, but ended up gently bouncing off the post.

This could have been catastrophic. The game would have been sealed due to official incompetence, but as we know the refs are part of the playing surface, there would have been no avenue for appeal. The goal would have counted, we would have groused that we could have made a comeback, the Americans would have told us to be realistic, and accept that the game was as good as won for them, and we would have gone round and round. And we wouldn’t have known what could have been. Oddly, this bobble by the officials will now just add to the lore of the game. But that specific official should never officiate in any major event again. Until she learns to skate, at least.

Watching the American players receive their medals reminded us of the infamous Nike commercial that claimed that the silver medalist ‘is just the first loser’. In the specific case of women’s hockey, that’s possibly accurate. Both teams came to Sochi with one goal in mind, which was to win the tournament. Coming in second held no allure at all to either team. Silver didn’t mean you beat all the other teams but one, it meant you lost to your only real adversary, the only one that mattered.

The tight smiles on the American showed how little value they put on the silver, how they considered it another karmic kick in the rear, considering how they now regularly beat the Canadian team in regular competition but come up short when it counts every four years.

Meanwhile, the Canadian players were fixated on the medals, hypnotized by them on the trays held before them, and while they were being unfurled by Dick Pound. They were looking at the little trays of medals and bouquets with the same covetousness I’d eye a tray of free doughnuts with.

And the poor Swiss team, good on them for being overjoyed with their bronzes, but a handful of their players definitely do not look like athletes, they looked like nice enough girls who got scooped along for the ride, and it again spotlights how big a chasm exists between the North American teams and all the others.

Finally, did the Canadian team commit a breach of protocol by, after receiving their medals, going over to the Swiss team to shake hands, but then foregoing a handshake with the American team who were glumly, gamely waiting to fulfill this chore before repairing to their dressing room? Instead, the Canadian team joined up for a team picture at centre ice, and the American team gave up and left the ice.

Now, the Canadian team and American team had already shaken hands before the medal ceremony, in the traditional hockey handshake line, but even that had taken quite a while, the Canadian women celebrated their win extensively and kept their counterparts hanging an uncomfortable amount of time I thought.

And the CBC’s Mark Lee had been quite clear that it’s customary for the gold medal winners on the podium to shake hands and congratulate the silver and bronze medalists. I’ll be interested in finding out if this was an oversight or more of a snub.

Speaking of Mark Lee, he has done a tremendous job in these Olympics calling games. I’ve noticed his work before, he usually gets a late game on Hockey Night in Canada, and I wonder why. The CBC has already lost Chris Cuthbert to TSN while they prop up an embalmed Bob Cole in front of a microphone every Saturday night, you would think they wouldn’t want to lose this guy and give him a more central role. Even if it’s for naught, and Nick Kypreos will soon be running the sport. Into the ground.

Kudos also to Mr. Lee’s analysts Cassie Campbell and Jennifer Botterill. We already appreciate the former’s strong work on HNIC, but Ms. Botterill is a revelation. She was polished and informative from her post between the team benches. I can envision her playing a role on the NHL coverage of the CBC, she’s that strong a communicator.

So all that remains now is for the men tomorrow to, as the famous cartoon from 2006 read, “Play like girls.”

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Timo says:

I wonder how many people on this board can do 100 pushups a day?

• Timo says:

Oh, and UCE, holy crap, dude.

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Wow Norm. I’m sitting here with my restraint from carpal tunnel and your blog is making my arm throb.
      I’d be lying if I said I read the whole thing, but I’m a pretty good scanner, and you raised a few interesting points.

For one, I would think that the girls would rather continue to do yoga and maintain their flexibility, as opposed to doing all those push-ups.

As for the comparisons in style, I’d have to think that the teams are so even, that either team can win on any given day. The styles are indeed a little different, but they’re both so exciting to watch, especially against each other.

As for Kevin Dineen, I wouldn’t be surprised if he took the helm for another 4 years. The girls appreciate his coaching style and I think he has the demeanour and certainly the experience to take them up another notch or two.

And if he choses not to, he can always come and replace MT. That will certainly make more than a few happy.

With a few veterans retiring, I think the average team speed will pick up.

Anyhow, it’s been good talking to you. We should do this more often.
      I’ll go back to my natchos, salsa and beer. Cheers!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I’m talking out of my hat, I’m sure these girls already work extremely hard, but the U.S. seemed to find an extra gear, maybe we tweak their training regimen.

• JohnnyCanuckful says:

Excellent read, as always. As thread lengthens, it should include link at top of page to what you’ve submitted.
      Your posts are also the reason the Reply function should be at the bottom of a post. Man, that was a lot of scrolling to get back to the start of the piece. :]

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…fine reading as usual normand

…I do take issue, though, that there is that wide a chasm between their relative athletic ability

Post Script: I’m just watching the beginning of the third period on cbc.ca …so My conclusions may change :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, about the athleticism, it was an impression I got, it kind of jumped out at me, but I may be wrong. I just only really noticed Natalie Spooner as a Canadian with jump. Captain Caroline Ouellette for one was underwhelming. I saw her grab a loose puck in open ice, start to wheel around, and just get swarmed, she was so slow.

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Which I’m sure is part of the reason she’s retiring.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, she was one of the smart ones, made good decisions with the puck, was pretty agile on her skates, so I was surprised when she had the puck and open ice and didn’t do anything with it. Her and Hayley’s experience were very useful, but it will be a great time and a great opportunity for a changing of the guard.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks guys.

We had a high school guidance counsellor who used to start his harangues with “I’ll be brief.” We’d facepalm before it came en vogue, because he never, ever was brief. Or cogent. Or intelligible.

I’m turning into my guidance counsellor.

• monmick is Canadian says:

I apologize for the length of my post, but I did not have time to write a short one…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Habspark says:

Nice article, but in response to, “I must admit that when I heard the referee was from the U.K., I thought that was equivalent to having a Ugandan judge for the ice dancing competition”… It was British soldiers who got the sport going in Canada; Britain was a founding member of the IIHF with Canada; it was Britain who took gold from Canada in ’36; and, ok, maybe they’re not a superpower of the sport today, but there are more female players in the U.K. than there are in that winter wonderland that is Norway: Not quite the Ugandan equivalent to ice dancing! It’s her third Olympics, but hats off to the officials who clearly thought she was the girl for the job – even Swedes make mistakes – and good to see other countries other than the big four in women’s hockey represented in an international competition.. Otherwise, nice article!

PS Britain popped three goals past that Latvian goalkeeper in the Olympic qualifiers, one more than another team closer to home!

48. GL says:

Golden Girls in Hockey and Golden Girls in Curling Congrats to Both.

49. Caesar is Canadian says:

Congrats to the Canadian women they earned it. They fought every second of that game for the win. They can only play the cards they are dealt and play to win I understand. If the tables were turned I think Canadians would be furious at the reffing in that game. The refs and linesmen were absolutely out matched by the talent on the ice. What a horrible way for the US to lose. If we get reffing like that tomorrow all the strides made for promoting the greatest sport on earth will be for nothing. What a terrible job they did and they should all be forbidden from ever reffing INTL hockey ever again.

@D-mex in answer to your question of 4:51 not a joke. PM was talking about this yesterday at 5ish in Montreal

Just watched Jennifer Jones reaction as that last rock was sliding for the gold. Almost tears. Fantastic!!!

51. boonie says:

I remember my kindergarten teacher wheeling a TV into our classroom to watch the ’72 Summit Series. School kids in the U.S. started to think about hockey after the ’80 Olympics. International competition can have a huge lasting effect and create life-long fans.

Tavares getting blowing out his MCL is a HUGE immediate issue. Forget the Isle’s slim playoff chances. John is a young NHL star, the league’s third leading scorer and the face of a NY metro team. Isles management has probably spent the past 48 hours figuring out the severity of the injury, how long Tavares will take to get back to full speed and how the team plans attract new fans when they move to the Barclay Center next season.

I live in NYC. NBC shows U.S. stuff — hockey, curling, any bizarre sport where an American might medal. The interest is nationalistic, not sports-specific.

The U.S. win over Russia got extended play. I doubt very much it had any impact on ticket sales for the Isles, Devils or Rangers – or, for that matter, any U.S.-based NHL team.

In fact, I’ve noticed that TSN has fewer comments, that HIO has fewer comments and that – frankly – no one down here thinks about Olympic hockey because NHLers play in it. It’s about the uniform.

Let me refocus this rant on the Habs. If that had happened to one of our players, specially a Plecs, MaxPac, Subban or Price, there would be hell to pay.

As I started, I’ve loved international hockey since I was 5. NHLers don’t need to be there.

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

Your point on the Tavares injury, including the re-focus back to the Habs, doesn’t jump out at me : ” there would be hell to pay ” – really ?

John Tavares was sidelined by a hockey play – I saw nothing untoward in the play, and haven’t read the slightest suggestion to that effect. The Habs have lost their share of players under very similar circumstances over the years – Andrei Markov is the 1st name that comes to mind – and there has never been ” hell to pay “.

Could be that I’ve blown past something very obvious in your post – not my intention, but I don’t get the point.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Ktowner says:

Kindergarten? I was in high school and they gave us the afternoon off to watch the final game at home. Fantastic even though it was a small black and white TV. We watched most of the other games in the cafeteria.

52. Lafleurguy says:

A game for the ages. Burly and Dunboyne are gregarious and classy dudes to whoop and holler avec. Cool place, Real Sports Bar and Grill. Good thing there’s no such thing as superstition, otherwise, the three of us would have to get together again if and when the Habs are in the finals.
    Be a wall, Carey. Where’s George Orwell?

“May you live in interesting times.”

53. Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

Questions for the panel (next week):

Dear Panel,

I’m writing this ahead of Canada’s Men’s Hockey showdown with the USA… but now that you know the result and with the benefit of hindsight…

1) What did Canada’s coaching and management get right this Olympics?

2) What personnel decision did they get wrong, ie, omissions from the roster that could have helped ice a better team?

3) What did you think of the demeanor of the team heading into the top games. From the outside looking in, the guys looked quite calm and focused… but they didn’t appear to be having any fun. The Americans in contrast seem to be fully charged and enjoying every minute.

Sub-questions on that theme:

3.1) How much of that is this a reflection of Canada’s coaches and management? Are we getting a team that’s in line with Stevie Y’s persona or Mike and his coaches?

3.2) How much of that is this a reflection of the leaders on the team? Crosby and Toews aren’t exactly the most extroverted of people. Are they too serious and not inspirational enough to bring a team of strangers together into a cohesive unit? Would Drew Doughty or Shea Weber be a better role model… Those two seem to have put the team on their back and are thriving under the pressure. Shades of Mark Messier…

4) How can you explain St Louis and Duchene’s omissions from the line up during the qualification round? They appeared to be playing very well once they were asked to slot in. I didn’t understand their retraction from the roster. And why all the love for Rick Nash? I didn’t see much of a spark from the big man.

5) And finally… your fearless prediction: Who out of the Olympics comes out super-charged and takes his play to another level down the stretch? Name any player and predict his impact (eg. Drew Doughty leads the Kings to the Cup…)

That should give you some material. Feel free to pick and choose from my questions. Thanks in advance for humoring me if you do choose to answer one!

Warm regards from Oz,

Marc10

PS: Big fan of Knuckles. Thanks for beating up Jay Miller (my recollection) that one night Kenny ‘the Rat’ Linseman and Brian Skrudland started a bench clearing brawl at the Forum. We won the game and the alley fight! Good times!

• Lafleurguy says:

Oh Citizen of Oz, did you get to watch the Golden Girls of Olympic Hockey live?

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

I sure did. Woke up at 4am. Saw the whole thing. Loved every minute of it.

Do you believe in miracles?

How bout that crazy linesman/ref getting in the way only for the goal post to save Team C? That was insane! Still can’t wrap my head on how they did it. Maybe it’s because the Americans had a Kessel on their team… :-)

• frontenac1 says:

Knuckles is the Real Deal amigo. My kinda guy.

• Caesar is Canadian says:

I am part of a charity event in Montreal and last year Knuckles showed up uninvited but definitely not unwanted. He heard what was happening and got in his car. We found him a chair and table and he pulled out a bunch of pictures and started signing them for anybody who asked. I showed up after the lineup was gone and everyone had a signed autograph. He was alone with my son just talking. I didn’t want to stop them, but I knew Chris had to leave so I walked up to give him a chance to break off the conversation. Well 10 minutes later he and I were still talking…. after he left my son was showing me pictures that he took of Chris and Chris took of him. On a few pics you can my son with one of his rings on. He’s absolutely a great man who loves Montreal and deserves Montreal’s love.

Just got home from spending a day in Banff. Wow, what a day for Canada and what a win for the ladies hockey team… unreal. Does anyone know when they are airing that game again?

Congrats to the curling ladies too. Phenominal… went the entire tourney undefeated.

… and I see Therrien is still an as$ as far as Subban is concerned. But we all knew that.

55. montrealtilldeath says:

Knuckles did not pull any punches in the treatment of PK situations. Chris like Wayne G (“play your game ” ) knows. The comment”try to put PK in his place” was very strong as was they are trying to “dumb him down” I imagine Phil Kessel is very happy camper with this Team Canada no PK strategy. Our one hope is TSN guys say the US is going to win and those guys are “dumber than a bag of hammers” My apologies to the hammers.

Go Canada! Go Carey!

56. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

HI/O delivers again. Had the good fortune today of getting to watch that wonderful hockey game at RealSports bar in T.O. and was honoured to watch the game with two wonderful posters from HI/O whom I had never met before. Dunboyne Mike and LafleurGuy. As usual meeting people from this community was wonderful and I couldn’t have met two finer gentlemen. Mike brought along his son, brother and brother in law and they too were great people.

Thanks to those two for making todays game an even better game to watch and enjoy.

• frontenac1 says:

Huh? Mike was in TO? Hope you took him on a Walkabout amigo. Is he coming up to God”s country north of Kingston? Let me know.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Had his son with him Front, but did manage to tell him stories from our Summit, may have included a story of that table of exchange students from Germany we met at Hurleys!

57. Luke is Canadian says:

I just kicked Craig McTavish out of my spot. Rick Dudley us walking around here tonight as well.

Sam Bennett for Kingston is playing.

58. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I respect the speed, skills, size, and gung-ho spirit of the US players …Canada will have to play the game of Their lives to beat the Americans

…but it’s not the American players that I most think is the biggest challenge tomorrow, it is the coaching of Dan Bylsma vs Mike Babcock that will determine which team wins

…I think Bylsma is the best coach in the NHL and gets the optimum out of whatever players he has, whether they are Malkin/Crosby or fourth-liners

…Bylsma is a master motivator

…the depth and pride of Canada’s players I hope is enough, but it will be one Hell of a game tomorrow

…4-3 Canada

Outside of hockey (and to a lesser degree men’s curling) , I was wondering how many medal events are left between now and the end of Saturday.

60. thebonscott says:

Good Day to be an Islanders fan:

1) Your franchise player just tore his MCL in what is really a meaningless tournament for your organization
    (though you could make the argument the whole NHL season is really a meaningless tournament for the islanders)
    2) You are going to finish in the bottom 3 of the league for sure now

3) You gave away your first round pick for a guy who said he is NOT re-signing with your team

4) If you opt to give buffalo your first round pick NEXT year, you’re missing out on Connor Macdavid’s draft year

The Buffalo GM is probably sitting in a pool of his own urine now cause I’m sure he’s p***sing himself laughing at that trade…

Tell MB to put garth snow on speedial please

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• habs_54321 says:

well Darcy Regier is not the gm of the sabers anymore so he can’t be laughing that hard.

i agree though sucks for the islanders losing tavares

• Ktowner says:

You pretty well summed up why Garth Snow should never, ever, ever be involved in running, scouting or advising a hockey team. A slew of bad decisions have followed this guy from the day he was hired as a scout.
      I feel for Tavares, he was having a great season and is the franchise player for the Islanders. I first saw him as a peewee player, same spring team as Stamkos, (playing against my son) and he showed great potential then. Hopefully he will recover and come back next season strong and ready to challenge as one of the elite NHL players.

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

For some reason, my recollection was that Snow went straight from the crease to the NYI front office. Didn’t realize he spent time as a scout.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Retired from hockey as a player in July 2006 after playing that season (limited action) and was named GM in July 2006. Zero experience as GM, but had plenty of time to scout pro players from his spot on the bench during his NHL career. :)

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

I get the tongue-in-cheek, but you can see the ref to ” the day he was hired as a scout ” so I had to ask / thanks.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

61. frontenac1 says:

Great day at the Saloon cheering on our gals today. You guys whining about Womens hockey miss the whole point. It was a great” come from behind “game.Once they figured out “the box out” we had it made. Congrats for a great Medal performance ladies.Saludos!

62. jols says:

For the many of you who couldn’t watch the USA/Canada women’s final earlier today, TSN has a replay at 7:30. Worth a watch for sure.

• Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

It’s also available at olympics.cbc.ca

63. govenah says:

Its a bit curious that every defencman chosen for Canada is from the western conference. Only a couple of the high scoring forwards are from the east – JVR, Kessel, then you Pacioretty Callahan and Stepan. I think PK would be more experienced in the dealing wtih the first three of those forwards. Our other defenders would rarely see those players. Just sayin that it is a another reason to stick him in the line up.

The glass is MT.

64. JohninTruro says:

So I guess Price has the best numbers as far as goalies go at this point. Has allowed 3 goals in 3 games while Quick and Lunqvist have both allowed 5. Would be amazing for his confidence and for the respect around the league, and the “Price never wins anything” motto if he takes Canada to gold, and wins “goalie of the tournament” honors. Up for grabs for him right now..

65. habsfan0 says:

Does anyone know at what time women’s gold medal winning hockey game will be replayed?

66. Cal says:

As usual, another entertaining HIO show. The BIG question is where can we get hold of those mugs?
    Nilan is getting better and better at these internet tv spots and so is the whole crew.
    With the Olympics, I didn’t expect many questions from the HIO commentariat, but I did expect a couple. There’s always next week.

• Stu Cowan says:

I actually didn’t get that many questions from HIO this week. The ones I did get were pretty obvious ones. But please keep the questions coming. Knuckles will be back next week.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Stu, …I guess, ‘in retirement’ Mike is ‘a free-agent’ …but Mike shouldn’t be sharing His game blogs with other sports writers interupting Mike’s unique flow and humor

…disconcerting, and after a few minutes of His first Olympic blog I regrettably tuned-out and passed-on reading His Olympic blog

…can’t wait ’til Habs playing again, and following Mike, Pat and Yourself

67. Storman says:

Tomorrow’s game,,,Winner goes for Gold Loser keeps Bieber Hilarious

Canadian Heroes
    Gilmore Junio
    Denny Morrison
    Canadian Coach who replaced Russian Skiers ski after it broke during race
    Shannon Szabados Marie-Philip Poulin and the rest of Team Canada Womens hockey team
    Alex Bilodeau and the rest of all of Team Canada Olympic athletes.

Canadian Zeros
    Justin Bieber
    Doug Ford
    Wallin, Duffy Brazeau, The Senate, and 99% of all politicians.
    Conrad Black did we have to take him back

• CJ says:

I always avoid engaging in political dialogue, but interesting that Doug makes the list and Rob gets a pass. Not suggesting its right or wrong, just interesting.

• Storman says:

Rob makes me laugh, walking into cameras, falling over taking a snap, crack, enough to eat, etc..I do not like to put special people on a zeros list,, Doug I think still has all his capacities and he just makes me nauseous..,,

• CJ says:

Oh I agree. I think Rob is comedic gold.

Having been raised within a political family, where great aunts and great uncles were members of parliament (Provincial, federally and municipally), it chafes me, perhaps more so than others, to watch our current politicians banter about.

68. UKRAINIANhab says:

Price needs to play a HUGE game tomorrow, he will.

69. bwoar says:

Each week Nilan gives me more reasons to disregard the potent wisdom that comes from the mouths of former pugilists. Thanks HI/O team! It’s all good.

“thoroughbred”

70. D Man says:

Think maybe B Gally might help Team Canada?

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• Caesar is Canadian says:

I seriously expect him to get a look for Korea. Not kidding at all I think he would be a big addition to this team.

• Bald Canadensis says:

Y’know, I was thinking yesterday that they needed someone like BG to stir the pot — or apply the spoon. :)

• CJ says:

I don’t think there is a hockey team in the world that a guy like Galley wouldn’t help. When I see him coming off the ice, he litterally has nothing left. He gives it his all and never takes shortcuts.

I trust that the management team recognizes the unique player we have in our fold and will make every effort to surround him with players who both compliment his skillset and can protect him going forward.

At the risk of bringing up a name we all love to hate, his good friend – Milan Lucic would be the kind of player who would work well on a line with Galley, for the reasons noted above. Perhaps McCarron, down the road, might be that kind of player for us.

71. JUST ME says:

Every now and then we get a reminder of what it`s all about .What passion brings us back here even though it gets ugly sometimes.

Hopefully the guys will be inspired by this afternoon`s ladies game. If you did not get to see it, you have got to see this one, it belongs in the history book.

• CJ says:

It was a great win. I was very proud, as much for the ladies success as I was being able to share the moment with colleagues, of various titles and backgrounds.

Truly, the Olympic spirit touched us this afternoon.

I have every confidence that the men will demonstrate the same resolve. Win or lose, you can be sure that they will compete until the game ends. Anything can happen, especially in a single elimination event such as the hockey tournament. That said, I have every confidence that team Canada will prevail tomorrow.

72. StevieM61 says:

bronze
    maybe?

play Subban

question answered

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

73. Mavid is a Canadian fan and thinks they should free PK says:

sneaky devil… first…I think

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

✔ … photo finish :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Caesar is Canadian says:

Did you guys get the inside scoop on Halak and how he pulled McGuire aside to tell him he’s not playing anymore?
      I was thinking about this whole scenario in my mind they way Pierre tells it

Halak :hey Pierre you got a minute
      PM :sure
      Halak: I’m done they are not playing me anymore
      PM :wow that’s terrible what a bunch of aholes and that’s just not right.
      for the next 10 minutes Halak looking for a way out of his conversation while intermittenly hearing Bowman and Burke blah blah Malmo blah up for the job in…blah blah

Halak ok Gotta go bye

74. frontenac1 says:

Pour yourself a Double amigo,and enjoy the moment. Saludos!

75. Da Hema says:

It might be a bit harsh, but when I think of Jaroslav Halak, Steve Penney comes to mind — a guy who also played over his head for a couple playoff series only to come back down to earth with a thud.