Monday Morning QB on HI/O Show

HIO-Nov-22-pic

Jack Todd joins Dave Stubbs and Stu Cowan on this week’s HI/O Show to discuss the upcoming changes to the format of his weekly Monday Morning QB column in The Gazette as well as the latest Habs news and suggests that Brendan Gallagher might be a good fit for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

Other topics of conversation include the work goalie coach Stephane Waite has done with Carey Price, Michel Therrien’s line changes, the surprising play of rookie Michael Bournival and whether there is still a spot in the NHL for an enforcer like George Parros.

1. Say Ash says:

Jagr scored his eighth last night, giving him 17 points on the year at a cost of $2 million. Explain to me why we didn’t sign him?

• Luke says:

I’m changing my reply ‘cuz it was snippy and I don’t like it.

Jagr had a poor playoffs with the Bruins. He looked exceptionally slow and couldn’t score. His play wasn’t “awful” but it wasn’t great. At his age (42?), expecting him to return to scoring form is less likely.

I wonder if his production will tail off at some point as the season wears on. Something to keep an eye on.

I wasn’t a fan of the Briere signing, but I don’t hate it either. It looks worse (as would a Jagr signing) because Bournival stepped up in a much larger way than almost anyone expected.
      I believe it was Briere’s injury that provided him the chance. Since Jagr hasn’t missed any time, we may not have seen Bournival at this point.
      I also suspect he wouldn’t be getting the 18-20 minutes/game on the
      Habs.

In hindsight, sure… not that we know what he asked for or what they discussed.

• Marcusman says:

It’s more like $4 million if he plays in 46 games….

I complete concur… we needed big, we needed scoring…he has at least this yr and next left in the tank….and we signed…..Briere.

2. shiram says:

What does the H stand for?
    Hockey right?
    But I always thought it was “Club de hockey” and not “Club du hockey”
    but lo and behold, on the Habs website it does say “du”

I know it’s weird to bring a grammar French question on here, but I got nowhere else to ask!

Are the Winnipeg Jets being sticks in the mud for not allowing the “Helmet Pardy” tonight when the Hawks go into Winnipeg?

Seems over the top to me that the organization wouldn’t have some fun with this.

St. Louis in Boston tonight, would be a good game to watch i think. Hope St. Louis lays the boots to them.

Go Jaro Go!

5. shiram says:

Do you think Habs should re-sign Budaj for the next season?
    I know there’s plenty of time, but it’s an interesting question considering the very solid work Budaj has put in here. Controversy never seems to reach him and he is reported as being well-liked by everyone.

Does Tokarski get a sniff?

• commandant says:

Budaj is on a two year deal. He’s already signed for next year.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Edit: Commandants post nullifies question. Question will be how good Fucale looks in the AHL next year.

• commandant says:

Fucale will still be too young for the AHL next year.

Like Price he will need to do two years post-draft in the CHL.

I’m ruining all the questions today, sorry guys.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Thanks Ben, that is too bad was looking forward to seeing him in Hamilton next year. I am not sure Hamilton has had a good up and coming goalie since Price.

• commandant says:

I’d agree with that… since Price and the “St. Louis Goalie who must not be named without starting a flame war” they certainly haven’t had a guy of starting caliber at the NHL level.

Tokarski is playing well and I think he might make a good backup. I don’t see starter though.

Robert Mayer is a disaster…. I really have never seen anything from the kid. He’s in his fifth AHL season and has a sv % about 50 points lower than Mayer (he’s in like the 870s). Thats embarrassing for an AHL vet. A rookie? ok I’ll forgive, but not a guy in his fifth year in the league. I don’t understand what management sees in Mayer, and it isn’t just the MB regime, but the Gauthier group also loved the guy. We shouldve cut ties when we had the chance.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

I was quite happy last year when it was reported he was going to Europe, every time I go see a Dogs game and he plays, it is less than impressive.

• Stevie.Ray says:

But Mayer was never really given a chance though, was he?

6. Habsrule1 says:

Love how people are jumping on the Vernon interview to slam Roy.

He may have made some mistakes but he’s arguably the best goalie of all-time. He deserves to have his number retired and if not for him, the drought would be getting close to 30 years instead of at 20 years.

Even after the interview, I think things could have either been smoothed over or delayed in order to get a better return….and what’s with including Keane? Roy wasn’t enough?

Go Habs Go!!

• stephen says:

Ugh. Don’t remind me.

Trading a Hall of Fame goalie, in his prime, for three unproven players.

You wonder what a competent GM could have got in return, assuming the trade was necessary.

edit: I don’t even have the heart to go back and check, but was there not anyone around (assistants, advisors, etc.) Houle at the time who could have helped him, or at least say ‘what the hell are you thinking?’ when Lacroix made the proposal?

• Luke says:

Interestingly, it wasn’t that different a return than what Boston received for Thornton. (Sturm/Primeau/Stuart).

Seems that a handful of decent NHLers has or is acceptable return for a star.

Y’know… I’ve said the Habs roster has many decent players, but the mix is wrong… Let’s go get a superstar!

• stephen says:

Hi Luke,

Yeah, that trade look equally imbalanced, to be honest. I guess the players’ potential carried enough cache to get it done.

Still, can’t imagine either one of a Roy or Thornton being traded in today’s league without a 1st round pick being part of the package.

• krob1000 says:

Subban Norris triphy, GAlchenyuk and GAllagher Calder both in Calder running, Price right now would be too 3 if not win the Vezina, Pacioretty one of these years will score 35-40. The only way to get a “sueprstar” is to tank….or get extremely lucky a la Subban pick or Gallagher, PRice and Galchenyuk came as top 5 picks.

• Luke says:

Or sucker a GM into to taking 3 or 4 decent (but not great – NOT: Price/Chucky/PK… um, and Patches) players. Like San Jose did to Boston or Avs to Habs.

Or a Patches + a Beaulieu like Dallas did to Boston for Seguin.

It can be done… I reckon it’s tough, that’s why it rarely happens.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Better than Kenny Dryden?

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Habsrule1 says:

Debateable. Imagine Roy with those teams in front of him. Hard to compare.

By the way, I don’t buy the pressure thing. I think Roy lost it, but regretted it later. If not for winning 2 more Cups, I’d bet he would have rathered play his whole career for the Habs, pressure and all.

Go Habs Go!!

• New says:

Instead of slamming Roy they might consider what unrelenting stress with no option to cope does to an athlete. Vernon was right. The way to cope is to leave the situation.

The Canadiens used to leave town during the playoffs for good reason. They’d say it was for team bonding but it was really to get the heck away from us.

• Cal says:

I’ll say that Dryden is arguably the best of all time.
      His record speaks for itself, and remember Roy was playing behind a very stacked team in Colorado.

• krob1000 says:

Roy’s “stacked team” in Colorado was nothign even close to some of Drydens stacked teams….especially when relative to the rest of the league.

• habsguy says:

for what its worth, Roy won 2 cups on terrible teams, IMO he’s the best ever. Dryden was a very good goalie, on some of the best teams ever !!!

• Cal says:

Yeah, the ’86 and ’93 teams were “terrible”. Get a grip, will ya?

• Habsrule1 says:

The 86 team was good, not great. The same could be said for the 93 team.

The fact that the Habs won those 2 Cups mainly because of Roy is very seldom disputed. Of course he did not win them alone, but he was the single biggest reason.

If you are in any way, shape or form comparing those teams to the teams Dryden played on….well, I don’t know what to say.

Go Habs Go!!

• Luke says:

I think this is one of those perpetuated myths that has become accepted as fact.

The Habs may not have been the best team in thew league or had all-time greats like Lemiuex or Gretzky (aside from in net) but they were by no means terrible.

The ’86 team featured Nalsund, Robinson, Smith, Gainey, Carbonneau, Chelios amongst others
          The ’93 team included Damphousse, Bellows, Muller, Lebeau, a stacked Defense, LeClair and Paul DiPietro!

• Habsrule1 says:

Sorry Luke…..
            both teams had good players, but I doubt anyone on them would argue that Roy was the biggest reason for the Cups.

I remember this quote from Gainey in 2008 about the 1986 Cup:

“(Roy) is the person who carried the team,” Gainey said. “This is the person who shouldered that good team, not great team, and dragged them through the playoffs and won the MVP.

Go Habs Go!!

7. Luke says:

I’m shocked to learn that 91% of people who vote in polls have no respect for PK Subban.

Much higher number than I was expecting.

8. shiram says:

Rumours about players being on the trade block.
    2 players that could interest the Habs.
    M Gaborik
    M Havlat

Both have a scoring touch and their value is lessened due to injuries.
    Gaborik is on hist last year of his contract, Havlat has one more to go.
    Would the Habs be interested, say if they were in doing good and off to the playoffs?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Havlat is pretty much finished as far as I can tell, but I’d be all for Gaborik if the docs checked him out first.

• commandant says:

Havlat would have been bought out last summer if he had not been injured at the time. His contract is very high for an injury prone player who really isn’t scoring over the past two years. I wouldn’t touch him with a 20 foot pole.

Gaborik as a rental… maybe, depending on where the team is at the deadline and what the price his. However I suspect the price will be high and that Montreal isn’t a true Stanley Cup Contender right now. We might be a playoff team, but not a true top team in the league, and I wouldn’t give futures to add the guy, not this year. There is a time and place to go all in and I don’t think our current team is at that spot… not yet.

Be patient, stay the course, and keep building for the future.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• mrhabby says:

They both suck..MB would not be interested in either.

• habs12 says:

Gaborik is exactly the player the habs need – pure goal scorer if he can get back to where he was just a few seasons ago. He is out until mid December though, but I would pull the trigger. A deal similar to the one they made to bring Kovalev over, and then potentially sign him to a new deal. I think he would look great on a line with Galchenyuk. Health is obviously a concern, but I would take the risk. I know we are not a competitive team this year, but I believe he still has a lot left in the tank.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Agree that he is a great player. His injury is listed as sprained knee, so not serious. He hasn’t had too many injury problems recently and I think he’s still a 25 goal 60 point guy. If we can get him at minimal cost I would like to see him in the holy red white and blue.

• habs12 says:

my mid- december point was more regarding the fact that players cant be traded while on IR, than the extent of his injury. Im with you on this one, I think he would be a great acquisition (depending on what we would give up of course).

If the Habs had room cap wise, I would be happy to see them pursue him as an UFA (Gaborik) this summer. Not interested in trading for a rental though. We are not that good that we can giveaway draft picks for a short term player, Been there, done that and still hate the tee-shirt.

9. DipsyDoodler says:

I was going to reply to Burly that Parros is so bad, putting him on the ice is like voluntarily taking a penalty.

So I looked it up and guess what – having GP on the ice isn’t like being shorthanded, … it’s worse! Much much worse!

This year he has been on the ice for 20 min and accounted for 5 goals against and no goals for.

The Habs as a team have been on the PK for 131 min and have given up 12 goals.

I realize the numbers are small but for 130 min on ice Parros would give up 32.5 goals.

In other words, we are THREE TIMES more likely to get scored on at even strength with Parros on the ice than shorthanded.

Putting Parros on the ice is THREE TIMES worse than being shorthanded.

But wait, hold on to your hats.

We have played down two men (5 on 3) for 2.8 minutes and given up 1 goal.

Yes this is silly, but mathematically, we have given up more goals per minute of Parros than per minute of 5 on 3.

• DipsyDoodler says:

And this doesn’t take into consideration that on the PK we are facing the opposition’s best attacking players, who do not have to worry (much) about defending. Were facing talented attackers who only need to attack.

• shiram says:

Clearly you are forgetting that Parros brings his own brand of North American Grit, this attribute alone scares the opposition so much as to being worth at least 2 goals!

Some professor keeps harping on about that, so it must be true, right?

• habcertain says:

What about the 4 other guys on the ice, to discuss Parros contribution/value through the lens of plus/minus stats is silly as you indicated.

• Cal says:

So, I guess the other 5 guys on the ice for the Habs at the time are all exonerated?
      Stevereno II, the sequel? ;)

Parros has one role to play on this team, that is to provide an answer to other teams bullies. Watching how he skated in Game 1 versus Toronto compared to how he was skating after his return looked like night and day.

I believe a reason he hasn’t played recently is he is still getting into game shape recovering from the horrific concussion and the teams we have played against did not require his presence.

Also please keep in mind that we gave up a 7th round pick, and the contract is minimal.

I didn’t realize you were expecting Parros to play like Iginla. Not to get too snarky, but I realize you hate the role he plays, and I understand and respect that. But the league seems insistent that other teams can and will play that way. For those games, our players need an answer, thus Parros.

However, if that concept is impossible to accept please continue the sabermetrics analysis on Parros.

Hopefully Parros can improve his play in 5 on 5 situations, but he really should only be on the ice for 5-7mins a game agains, Toronto, Philly, Boston, and perhaps a handful of other teams.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I still think it’s quite striking that having Parros on is worse by a three to one margin than having no one. It’s not like being shorthanded. It’s like having a guy deliberately trying to score own goals.

I agree he isn’t an above average skater or puckhandler. Next time he plays I will watch for those plays when he tries to put the puck in our own net. We need to get this information to MT, he probably isn’t aware that Parros is actually playing for the opposition while wearing a CH.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’m just having fun with numbers. I could just say “Parros sucks” ad nauseam like most people do on here (about Therrien, or Briere or Gorges or Moen or ….) but I tried to lighten it up.

I know, and I do respect your opinion. I do think Parros brings an intangible that stats don’t show. I wish he was a better player away from fighting as well.

• mrhabby says:

and when he (maybe) wins a decision over 1 of the goons from Toronto you will be up from your chair clapping..give me a break.

• adamkennelly says:

very scientific – comparing apples to oranges there buddy….since you have a lot of time on your hands find out who scored while he was on the ice and then determine if our coach was at fault for having our 4th line on the ice against the other team’s better players….

he gets paid to punch people in the face – that is when and why he should be on the ice…also – to allow for Prust to not have to deal with opponents heavies..

you can have a team with no players like that on it – I’ll take Parros and one of two more thank you..

• GrosBill says:

I have a feeling that if he had been able to remain healthy and have Prust and Moen still with him on the fourth line, those numbers would be better.

3 of those 5 minus are from one game where the fourth line was awful that night, yes, Perros included.

Perros will do what he was brought in to do when called upon.

10. habsfan0 says:

The Habs looked like a different team against Minnesota.
    They were moving their legs all night;almost seem to be possessed.
    Against one of the NHL’s best defensive squads,that’s nothing to scoff at.
    We’ll see if it carries over to this weekend’s games against Ovechkin & Crosby.

11. donmarco says:

@robertlefebvre, thanks for again posting the link to the Mike Vernon interview (scroll down to his post for the link, very interesting).

I am, admittedly, on the anti Roy bandwagon for what I believe was an act of petulance and disloyalty to his teammates, but if what Vernon says is to be believed, and I can’t think of a reason why he shouldn’t be, at the very least Roy should be called out to explain. This may not have been a spur of the moment reaction to frustration, and instead either a sign of a player about to burn out, or a purposeful tank to initiate a trade.

For those who scorned Price’s comments at the end of last season regarding the difficulty in playing in Montreal, this should send a cold shiver down our spines. There are many other ways Roy could have handled his growing frustration, ways far more private, but few will deny his actions ended up setting this team back for years.

We need to hear from him on this. His number is hanging from the rafters, and it’s the least he owes the fans of this organization.

• Cal says:

Hate to say this, dm, but Roy literally owes us zip. He forced a trade and unhappy players do that. And, it’s 18 years ago. As a by the way, I never wanted his jersey hanging from the rafters precisely because of what he initiated, great goalie or not.

• habcertain says:

Players have options just like the teams, Houle made the trade, a bad one, and that shouldn’t reflect on Roy, a better deal could have been struck if Houle was a little more savvy, which he wasn’t. Why do people think players are beholding to teams? why should it be any different for any employee who has a right to choose where they want to work?

12. rhino514 says:

The team´s recent scoring dry spell just keeps boggling my mind.
    I know there are many on here who don´t think this is a good hockey team, but I don´t remember a team in recent history having as much offensive firepower as this team. They are not a perfect team, but at least offensively, even if a couple of guys have off years, the offence is good.
    Nine games in a row of popgun offence, I just don´t get it. To me, a good chunk of that has to be on the coach (and I don´t hate the guy like many on here do). It just should not have taken that long to get out of the funk. If not for Bourque´s injury, you wonder if MT would have kept on with the same lines and ultra-defensive hockey.
    All teams have ruts, but after 4 or 5 games the coach shakes something up. Not nine.
    And if it is obvious that DD plays best with Pacioretty and the two have proven success and chemistry going back to the AHL, and you have decided you are going to play him come hell or high water, why would he ever take Wolverine off his wing?

• rljmartin says:

The offensive nature of this team depends on transition and the defensive approach up until last game has been way too conservative i.e. give up the blue line too easily, all 5 players cave in towards the net area and say goodbye to the transition game.

At least that is how I see it.

Interesting read from Larry Brooks related to Rick Nash and his concussion. Evidently Nash would like to see players take it upon themselves to reduce these hits.

Sadly, I don’t expect a single player to change…..

• Phil C says:

I read it as he hopes the union gets more involved, I assume through rule changes. It will be easier for the League to make changes if the union is on board.

You are probably right Phil, but the minute these players get on the ice, they don’t seem to give a rats ass about whether the opponent eats food through a straw after their career is over. I am taking a very cynical approach, but until the players show otherwise, this seems to be the case.

THe players union has done zero to help change the equipment they presently wear, which would be one of the biggest aids in reducing concussions.

Summit; Habs call up Leblanc
    Posted by Stu Cowan
    The annual HIO Summit was a success despite the San Jose Sharks beating the Canadiens 2-0 Saturday night at the Bell Centre.
    Close to 200 members of the HIO community were in town for the game and the summit, which is organized by Ian Cobb, a longtime Canadiens fan who grew up in St. Lambert and now lives in Belleville, Ont. The HIO Summit was first held in 2007, but had to be cancelled last year because of the NHL lockout.

On Saturday night, there was a sea of Canadiens jerseys at the Baton Rouge restaurant for an HIO pregame dinner and charity raffle for the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation. After the game, the HIO fans got together at Hurley’s Irish Pub on Crescent St. to discuss the game, catch up with old friends from the site and make new ones.

Cobb reports that more than $3,500 was raised for the children’s foundation through the raffle.

The HIO fans came from across North America and beyond for the summit. Among those attending were Eric Zeigenfuss from Philadelphia (photo above), who brought his sons Luke and Ryan along for the trip, and Rob Hing and his wife, Alayne, who came from Calgary. John Syed travelled from England, while Nicole Syed came from Austria and Jamie Galsim travelled all the way from Australia.

Former Canadien Rejean Houle, now an ambassador for the club, dropped in at the pregame dinner, bringing a stick autographed by the current team for the raffle. Houle had a chance to get reaquainted with former Montreal Junior Canadiens tough-guy Allan Globensky, who was also in attendance.

• Blondie says:

Grats on another successful summit Ian. There was too much going on for me to make it this year but I’ll do my best to attend the next one. Shouldn’t be too difficult, I’m only 20 minutes from downtown Montreal.

Cheers!

A few random thoughts on today’s thread.

I’m finding it difficult to not gloat over the notion that maybe Patrick Roy wasn’t quite so saintly as some people thought. Poor Rejean Houle, one of the true good guys in hockey who was put in an impossible situation.

Mikhail Grigerenko and Alex Galchenyuk were once neck and neck in the prospect rankings. Yikes.

Congratulations to Dennis Kane on his anniversary. Six years is a long time in the world of blogging.

Glad to see Robert Lefebvre posting again. He is one of the most thoughtful and insightful Hab fans on the web. His daily comments are missed by many.

Are Rick Dudley’s days numbered in Montreal? Right now he seems to be the best candidate for the GM position in Buffalo.

I enjoy reading Jack Todd’s comments. I realize that puts me in the minority but it’s just a matter of personal taste. It’s no big deal.

The Rob Ford saga is a big deal (no pun intended). It’s so sad to see my hometown go through this embarrassment as two lowlifes shred Toronto’s reputation as well as holding the democratic process hostage. This nutbar must be primed for a heart attack or stroke. Not sure if I should laugh or cry as Nero fiddles while Rome burns.

• Cal says:

Hey 24.
      The Ford Motor Company is considering changing its name. ;)

As our team approaches many decisions related to new contracts, who to keep, who to trade, I really hope Dudley stays with the Habs. MB is green at the GM position and I would want him to have Dudley there as an adivisor. I worry that without Dudley, MB may not have enough experience to help with key decisions our franchise faces.

The Roy story is definitely intriguing… Hopefully one day we can win another Cup to help put that saga behind us once and for all. Those were really dark years for the Habs, post Roy.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I know that Dudley has a great track record, but what is his exact job with the Habs? Was he implicated in the signing (trade) of Parros, Murray and Briere – all mistakes (though not crippling ones by any means)?

• Stevie.Ray says:

Isn’t he the assistant GM?

How was the Parros trade a mistake? He was brought in for a 7th round pick I believe, and for a specific amount of games. Murray when healthy, I still maintain helps this team and I realize both these views differ from yours. The Briere signing, yah a puzzler. But all those moves deserve more than a quarter of a season to fully judge on.

And he is the Asst. GM.

• Blondie says:

Mornin’ Burly. I second the notion that we’d be better off with Dudley than without him, I just hope Buffalo doesn’t feel the same.

I’ve always been mad at Patty Roy for bailing on us but I’ve also felt a bit guilty about feeling that way. After the recent revelations…a little less so. :)

16. Eddie says:

I noticed people talking trade below. I would love the Habs to land Simon Despres who is one of 4 first round pick defencemen the Penguins have playing in the AHL.

Maybe Pittsburgh would be interested in Rene Bourque.

17. Cal says:

Despite my distaste for Jack Todd, the HIO show was still 15 minutes very well spent.

18. scavanau says:

Finally, news I might like. “Black Sabbath to tour in 2014″

19. John Q Public says:

NHL are you listening ?
    Sticks and players are too big.
    Something has to give.
    Since you won’t stop tinkering with the rules how about mandating stick length.
    Shorter sticks equals more ice to manoeuvre and score goals.
    Give it a shot………he scores!!!

20. RobertLefebvre says:

I’ve reposted his back at the top, because this is worth your time to listen!

This is a CBC radio interview with Mike Vernon. At around the 6:30 mark, he begins to talk about a chat he had with Patrick Roy, on the morning of that fateful December 5, 1995 game. In a heart to heart over media pressures, Vernon told Patrick “You just need to get traded!”

Unbelievable

21. RAM_TOUGH says:

Morning Ya’ll

I was just on the TSN website. I just shake my head @ all the Carey Price bashers there. Wow, it is just mind blowing. There are some real idiots that post there. It makes posters here on HIO pure Geniuses LOL

Guts-Glory-Ram

22. twilighthours says:

No thanks to the jack Todd interview. I’ll pass.

If HIO is going to interview vitriolic pseudo-fans, my vote would be Timo. At least then we’d get to see if he’s wearing the skull cap and glasses.

(Just jokes, timo. I know you are a real fan, in your weird way)

• CranbrookEd says:

. . . Actually, it is not a Jack Todd interview. Instead, it is a nicely put together segment with three guys talking about a lot of topics. If you were an “anti-bowtie-ite” you would have a much harder time watching than if you were not a fan of Jack Todd! :)

These segments have certainly come a long way and are much more polished than they were . . . well done!

CranbrookEd
      Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

23. commandant says:

Deidre looks at how Pacioretty erased his offensive struggles last night

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

24. thehabsfan29 says:

Markov,2nd,Leblanc for Kulikov? (If Kulikov was available)

Is kulikov worth a 1st?

I think kulikov really needs a change of scenery and he could be a good replacement for markov

Thoughts?

Sens lost. That’s not bad.

26. DipsyDoodler says:

The walrus is finding out his “game plan” of goon it up and hope your keeper stops everything isn’t good in the long run.

27. RobertLefebvre says:

Worth your time to listen!

Unbelievable

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Question: …would Patrick ‘intentionally’ allow 9 goals that night for that purpose ?

• RobertLefebvre says:

It wouldn’t have been in keeping with his character, but it’s possible. Good question. Certainly, this new bit of news shows that there was lots on Patrick’s mind that day. Vernon’s tale is quite a game changer.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think Patrick can expect many questions on that possibility

• habcertain says:

There was no foresight that Tremblay would have kept him in nets to precipitate the confrontation, so I doubt it, if he wanted out he could have just made it known and departed without the drama.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…true, but should be interesting to see where people will take this

…allowing Yourself to be lit up the night before asking would soften up Corey’s resistance ?

…I’m just saying there will be many wanting to learn Patrick’s version of the story

• RobertLefebvre says:

Everything about that day/game spells TWILIGHT ZONE. There was captain Damphousse sleeping in until 6:15 pm, coach Tremblay breaking a team rule and allowing him to play, and Brisebois taking a five-minute major for boarding, in which the RWs scored three times. Add in Roy’s chat with Vernon, and we can see how all events conspired.

• montreal ace says:

All I can say is WOW, cause if Vernon’s tale is true, Patrick screwed the Canadiens big time. I am pretty sure Houle would have gotten a better return, if Roy just asked for a trade. I have always thought of Patrick, as being very calculating concerning his career. All these years of Houle looking like a dummy, while Roy got to look like a wounded hero.

• RobertLefebvre says:

I never once viewed Roy as a wounded hero – not even close. Between Corey and Roy, I sympathized with Houle. He was the one, the only one, forced into doing something he didn’t want to do.

• montreal ace says:

Robert an interesting interview by Vernon, about his chat with Roy and his asking for a trade. The chat if true, sheds a new light on the trade, in a way that is not favourable to Patrick.

• matt jordan says:

WOW.

If Patrick wanted a trade, I can understand. Media, fans, coach, non-stop pressure to succeed always or be mocked…

It’s still too bad Rejean Houle made the trade, I could’ve received a better return than Rucinski, Kovalenko and Thibault.

• PrimeTime says:

Great piece!! I can visualize Carey just nodding his head. Kind of tarnishes the shine off Roys legendary status as a Hab. Brodeur had it right!! MTL media goes too far.

• Propwash says:

This is HUGE imo…

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• New says:

Thanks Robert. That story makes a lot more sense, totally fed up with the whole situation (which still includes the coach :-). From a team viewpoint Nolan and Deadmarsh plus Fiset is nice but the same problem remains. The unrelenting pressure. You have to admire Brisbois for facing it like he did and realize why guys like Vinnie never wanted in.

28. Mavid says:

I love Gallagher

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

29. Say Ash says:

Karlsson one assist and a minus two on the night.

SUPERSTAR!!!

• The_Truth says:

The man does have 7g and 15 assists, ATOI 27:30 mins per game, in 22 games to lead all NHL defensman right now and is 23 years old. If that isn’t a superstar, I don’t know what is. He does have to work on his defensive game but the guy is definitely in the superstar level.

30. Mavid says:

Talk about a dagger..Sens lose to the Wild, game winning goal scored by none other than the hated Danny Heatly..and Neil gets his ass handed to him..all around lovely night..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

31. Habcouver says:

Too much TV face time given to Jacques Martin in Pens-Caps game!

Waiting patiently for #25

32. chanchilla says:

fake danny heatley twitter account is hilarious.

33. B says:

Methot deflects in the game winner, for Minny. 4-3 Wild.

–Go Habs Go!–

34. B says:

Anyone watching the Subway series who reads Russian? It looks like they have advertising on the back of their jerseys where the players name usually sits (the names are moved down towards the middle of the back). Is it really an ad where the name should be (or something else)?

–Go Habs Go!–

35. Sportfan says:

HOLY EFF TIGERS SEND 1B FIELDER TO RANGERS FOR 2B KINSLER! O.o For those who know baseball thats insane. Its in caps cause I copy pasted it lol :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

36. Sportfan says:

Does Todd do Heroes and Zeros!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

37. Mattyleg says:

Ah maaaan…
    Pens beating the Sens.
    Hope they end up tying each other and going to a shootout so that they are a bit more burnt out for our games.

Whatever happens, I just don’t want one of those teams blowing the other one out.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Jack Todd has been on and off more bandwagons than a musician. The one thing that turned me off about him was when he used to criticize athletes who expressed religious sentiment (who cares and NOYB). He would also add politics to his articles…not appropriate for a sports section. His “talking-down” tone was really a turn-off. I just can’t respect people who think they are better than others because of their different views and/or beliefs.

39. Mattyleg says:

Strange to be cheering against a team one night, and then pulling for them the next!

Go Minny!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…another way of looking at the Ford saga in Toronto: http://opinion.financialpost.com/2013/11/19/why-rob-ford-is-better-than-most-low-life-politicians/

‘Why Rob Ford Is Better Than Most Low-life Politicians’

• habs-hampton says:

At least Rob Ford’s antics are out there for all to see instead of boring expense claim scandals that only the accountants understand. Anyone can recognize a guy smoking crack as wrong.

41. slyCH says:

@FRONT, I’ve always been partial to the SHOCKING FRENCH VIDEO gal in the blue dress, alas, addblock. But I just finished Dark night rises and I gotta say Anne Hathaway looks delicious in her cat-suit. MMMMMMM!

42. donmarco says:

Tune in to hear Jack Todd boldly predict the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

43. Habitant in Surrey says:

David Letterman’s Top 10 list for Rob Ford:

• 1. Large-and-no-longer-in-charge
    • 2. Chin-fo-tainment
    • 3. Sweating enthusiast
    • 4. Shame-resistant
    • 5. Neckless
    • 6. Winning!
    • 7. The Round Mound of Unwound
    • 8. Molson-of-a-bitch
    • 9. Toron-toker
    • 10. Crack-nadian

44. Eddie says:

Does Jack Todd get a pass for ripping Carey Price every chance he’s had these past years?

Not from me he doesn’t.

Todd is an expert at judging people it seems.

He makes his living deciding who passes the Todd Values Test and who doesn’t.

Price has been failing the test since he first came up. And write this down, please; Todd will be the first one to rip Price to shreds as soon as Price’s season begins to level off even a little.

You guys can have your Monday Morning whatever, I will pass.

• adadi says:

That’s what he gets paid to do. If you don’t like what he writes don’t read it.

• Mattyleg says:

You and I don’t always see eye to eye, Eddie, but I’m with you 100% on this one.

Life is far, far too short for Jack Todd.

I don’t ever read his columns, I won’t watch this segment of HI/O.

His pathetic brand of holier-than-thou pseudomorality is an aspect of modern-day society that I can do without.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• donmarco says:

Since he did that hatchet job on Javier Vasquez of the Expos, I’ve tuned out. I’m taking a pass on this one.

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

Jimmy Kimmel: ” the Rob Ford saga; “It’s like Canada’s running of the bulls or something.”

He also says that Rob Ford is his “favourite new reality show.”

“If he lived in America, we’d be renewing him for a second season.”

Where was this version of Anderson last year in the playoffs? Ahh and right on cue, the Senators lose a lead and decide a fight will get them in the game….

47. jols101 says:

Heatley on fire. lol. Get’s another one against the Sens. He is earning his 7 million now.

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this Rob Ford guy is actually making Me like Toronto, and even more unlikely Torontonians :)

49. Buzz Lightbeer says:

A BIG NO from Ward and Biron on the tsn panel for PK in Sochi.
    They make it sound like he is deranged loose cannon who couldn’t play defense if his life and norris trophy depended on it.

• Marc10 says:

Good thing they don’t make the call. If PK were left off the team, I wouldn’t be surprised if that spurred him on to take his game to yet another level. Works for me as a Habs fan, but I would hope for him with all he brings to the table that they’d pick him for the big ice and the big stage of Sotchi.

PK was our best player in the playoffs and is consistently one the best guys on the ice in big games. Leaving him behind for ‘safe guys’ would do Canada no favours when the Russians will be going for broke.

PK’s speed, PK’s shot… And PK’s outlet pass out of the zone! Can you imagine those lasers hitting a streaking Crosby on the tape? C’mon man!

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

It would be a thing of beauty that’s for sure.
        The selfish habs fan in me sort of hopes he doesn’t make the cut and like you said bring his game to another level. A big FU shaped chip on his shoulder.

• adadi says:

Ward’s a redneck turd.

50. JF says:

Watching the Super Subway Series tonight and last night. Hudon and his line have been dominant, but I’m also impressed by Jérémy Grégoire. Big, tough, willing to park himself in front of the net. Don’t know whether he has any points, but he’s played a role in a couple of goals. Give him two or three years, and he might be exactly what we need.

• jols101 says:

Gregoire may be big in Habs’ smurf size standards but 6’0 ft. anywhere else in the NHL is considered average. But, I agree, they both look like great prospects.

51. Strummer says:

Sabres tried to send Grigorenko to the AHL on a conditioning stint but were overruled by the League.

Unfortunately players that are too good for CHL but can’t get ice time with their NHL squads are going to suffer.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

I understand the concept of the rule preventing players Grigorenko’s age from being sent to the AHL in order to protect the CHL, but you would think somehow there could be some exceptions.

• donmarco says:

There is one, and that’s if he’s on rehab from an injury. Didn’t apply in this case, so his rights are held by the Remparts.

• Strummer says:

Ya- much like they grant exceptional status to 15 year olds to play in the OHL

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

52. Phil C says:

Anyone else hear Elliot Friedman on TSN 690 today talking about Mike Vernon and the Roy trade? According to Friedman, Roy ran into Vernon at a restaurant prior to a game. They recognized each other so they started chatting. Roy told Vernon that he was not enjoying life anymore in Montreal due to living in a fishbowl, no privacy, etc. Vernon told him that having grown up in Calgary, it was the same for him with the Flames and that his life got a lot better when he was traded to Detroit. That night against Detroit, Roy had his famous meltdown. Vernon!! It was his fault!

53. jols101 says:

Not sure how Minny was 9-1-1 before they played the Habs last night. They look just as brutal against the Sens tonight. Score is only 2-1 Sens but the shots are 18-6. All Senators so far.

Maybe the 2013/14 version of the Wild are the same as the 2012/13 version of the Habs. Overachievers. They are just crashing back to reality sooner.

• savethepuck says:

In today’s NHL, lots of teams go through losing streaks after being hot. When we played the Sharks, they were probably the best team in the NHL before losing several in a row ( mostly in OT). They started 9-1-1 and are now 13-3-5. The Avs are now 15-5 after starting 12-1.
      You don’t have to just be the best team in the age of parity, you also have to be playing the best with confidence.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Say again? The Wild are currently better than any Eastern conference team, even with a #1 goalie out with a concussion. Slightly behind the Hawks & Blues.

54. Garbo says:

If we had to lose one player, would you prefer to lose PK or Price?

Totally hypothetical and just for fun. Reminds of a friend growing up who would always ask stupid questions with equally horrible outcomes, like would you rather stick a needle in your eye or have all your finger nails pulled off one by one.

Anyway, just thought it relevant given today’s poll and the various comments about it. I would rather lose Price, because there are many great goalies, but there is only one PK.

• Steven says:

Depends how you mean when you say “lose.” I originally thought you meant to injury, but by your opinion I guess you mean off the team entirely.

If to injury, Subban. Someone could step in and replace him until he got back. If Price goes down, Budaj won’t be able to replace him.

If off the team entirely, I tend to agree with your sentiment. Subban’s a unique player, and the only comparables I can think of(and they’re not very good ones either) are Karlsson and Letang. I can think of a few goalies who can be just as effective as Price in the net. Also, considering our current organizational structure, Fucale might just be able to replace Price should he ever leave, I don’t think we have that kind of player to replace Subban.

• Marc10 says:

Good question. Price is more important due to his position, but Budaj might be able to do a better job than the Dcorp in shoring up the loss to the team.

Tough one. Either loss would likely cost us a wild card playoff spot. I’ll say Price because we have no goalie depth while we do have a bit on D.

55. Stevie.Ray says:

Do you think either of Anthony Mantha or Jonathon Drouin would be open to faking their deaths and signing in Montreal under a new name?

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a real feel-good has been Markov

…I thought He would never recoup the quickness, but He has shown His former speed (never the fastest, but) is almost back to pre-injury

57. Psycho29 says:

What is with this “You might also like” feature? I just read:

“Hot new photographs of Howie Morenz’ perky flapper girlfriend”

I probably need to upgrade my computer

58. habs-hampton says:

Kinda off-topic, but I just watched CH24 and it came back to me. When Pleks got his penalty shot against the Blues, it was an automatic penalty shot because it was in the last minute. Now I can understand that if happened with 5 seconds left, but in this case it was tied and the Habs already had a PP. The PP would carry into OT. If the intent of the rule is to reward the team for having a blatant scoring chance taken away, then I beleive the team should have the choice of a PP or PS.

Maybe I should post the question to Kerry Fraser?

59. Habitant in Surrey says:

…MVP so far has to be Carey …I agree with the overwhelming majority, …for once :)

…still would like to see a bigger sample to conclusively determine Him for Sochi …but He’s trending

…picking an MVP for a below .500 Team is a bit sketchy, but all those listed as a choice certainly have been fun to watch this season

60. kmachabs27 says:

anybody have a link where i can watch 24ch, preferrably in english

61. frontenac1 says:

That lady Veronique Gabai-Pinsky up top of the page has a wicked set of hammers eh?

62. jols101 says:

I hope Minny is pissed about the sh!t-kicking we handed them last night and come out flying against the Sens. Go Minny Go.

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Monday Morning QB on HI/O Show’ on a Wednesday morning ?

…seriously, thanks Stu for adding this feature now on a weekly basis to HIO …I always look forward to, and enjoy, each and every one

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: please donate generously to Your preferred charities (World Vision ?, the Red Cross ?, etc.) for food, medical supplies and reconstruction in the Philippines for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan !!! …thank You very much :)

64. Cal says:

On the poll, I voted for Gally, so I must “hate” Price and I am “disrespecting” PK.
    Night in and night out, Gally does his thing, opening up space for the others on whichever line he plays. He takes way more abuse than anyone else and keeps bouncing back and doing more.
    Gally is my vote for MOAR BIGGER.
    20 more like him and the Habs would be hard-pressed to lose.

65. Danno says:

DennisKane.com Habs hockey blog celebrates its sixth anniversary

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Another fun HIO video men!

67. adamkennelly says:

since the Habs are making such good use of Parros – they should grab Lane MacDermid off waivers from Dallas.

10 years younger, decent skater and half decent player from what I’ve heard…

or not

Question of the day – Who do you think was the MVP for the Habs during the first quarter of the season? I voted for Carey Price just like most people. However, the highlight of the season so far has to be the play of Andrei Markov. I bet Mike Boone would concur. Markov has been lights out in almost every game. This at the age of 34 on a bad pin. Our D would be in shambles without him.

69. Bill says:

Enjoyed Jack Todd’s comments on the HIO show. He takes way too much flak.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• 24 Cups says:

I agree 100%, Bill. In this day and age of patronizing journalism, sound bites and know-nothing bloggers, Jack Todd comes across as a breath of fresh air.

• Bill says:

With all due respect to awesome guys like Stubbs or Hickey, Todd doesn’t have to trade his opinion for access. At the same time, he is close enough to the scene that I trust his knowledge of it. As a result, he can present a knowledgable view in a more unvarnished manner than a reporter can. This is not to disparage the Gazette reporters, who do a wonderful job, but I always feel that they are being rather politic in their columns. If nothing else, Todd is impolitic.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Cal says:

Todd is commenting from afar. He is as close to the team as the posters here. His schtick hasn’t changed for what, twenty years?
          HIO should try asking some of the RDS guys to join in on the discussion, as well.

70. Donkey Hoat says:

Brian Gionta is still crying in M. Therrien’s arms.
    Someone give the man a hug and end his suffering!

71. JM says:

Not going there with the MT bit but they have two young forwards who energize the team without them the Habs would be nothing. Gallagher, no matter what line he goes with he makes that line better. Same goes for Bournival. He just made a scoring line out of the 4th line. We need more players like these guys. The Habs would be a Stanley Cup contender in no time. They give 150% every game. They don’t know what it means to quit. Great job Guys ….

72. The Jackal says:

MT is the Habs’ best coach, ever.
    Discuss.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.