Michael Farber talks Therrien, Olympics on new HI/O Show

Former Gazette sports columnist Michael Farber, who now works for Sports Illustrated and TSN, is the guest on this week’s HI/O Show, joining Gazette columnist Dave Stubbs and sports editor/host Stu Cowan to discuss the latest news surrounding the Canadiens.

A recent HI/O poll had 68 per cent wanting the Canadiens to fire coach Michel Therrien and Farber notes how a coaching change probably isn’t the answer to the team’s problems. The panel also discusses what GM Marc Bergevin can do to address the Canadiens’ lack of scoring punch and how Max Pacioretty can improve his game.

Farber, who is headed to the Winter Olympics, talks about what he’s looking forward to most in Sochi and there’s a discussion about the impact the big international ice surface will have on Team Canada.

There is a new HI/O Show posted every Wednesday afternoon at hockeyinsideout.com. Next week’s scheduled guest is Dick Irvin, the legendary voice of the Canadiens and Hockey Night in Canada.

(Photo by Sterling Agres/HI/O Show)

1. GrimJim says:

If the Habs score first tonight it will be a barnburner.
    If Boston scores first, it will be a Timotional night…

2. WindsorHab-10 says:

Since our defense is really struggling does anyone think that Sylvain Lefebvre will be a welcome addition to the coaching staff even though he’s coaching Hamilton?

• Strummer says:

I think Lefebvre was installed in Hamiltion to learn how to be a head coach and ultimately take over the job with the big club.

It would be better to leave him where he is and let him continue on that path for now.

Coaches like Bruce Boudreau for example spent a lot more time in the minors leaning their craft and were successful in the NHL as a result.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

3. bwoar says:

@ New

Great post re the misuse of the word ‘race’ by the bureaucracy down below.

“thoroughbred”

4. WindsorHab-10 says:

Having a tough time posting to this site. Anyone else?

5. Just A Guy says:

So Christian Thomas gets called up? Still unofficial, but I’ve also just heard that Peter Budaj is starting the game.

Anyone else scratching their heads?

Quick check on the trade, guess who’s leading their AHL team in scoring as a rookie?

Sigh…

• John Q Public says:

I think they are throwing the towel in.
      Just when you thought it couldn’t get stupiderrrrrr………Boing stupiderrrrrr.
      If that’s the case.

• CJ says:

Kristo has 29 points in 39 games. Thomas has 14 in 23. Kristo is one inch taller and 2 years older.

• Strummer says:

Any stats on their respective toe count?

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Just A Guy says:

So..he’s not as big (I’m seeing 5’9″ vs 5’11”), hasn’t produced as much, doesn’t get used in shootouts, but he’s younger.
        Gotcha…
        P.S. I’m not trying to be aggressive, but as someone pointed below there could be something else going on, thus the head scratching.

• CJ says:

Thomas is the better goal scorer. Two years makes a significant difference with younger players. I’ve seen Kristo live, if he’s 5’11” inches, Pleks is 6′.

Lastly Thomas is used in shoot outs.

At the end of the day I was guilty of holding Kristo is very high regard, until I got to see him live. He has great speed, which is a tremendous asset at the collegiate level, but in the professional game it’s just one element.

Let’s revisit this conversation in two years.

• B says:

Brenden Kichton? Colton Sissons? Vincent Trocheck?

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

Hey buddy, how are things? Looking forward to discussing the prospects this weekend with you.

Mac Bennett has 10 points in his last 12 games. I still think a pairing of Bennett and Pateryn is a possibility down the road. They had tremendous chemistry in Michigan.

• B says:

Things are always good on Thursday, I play Thursdays and I am looking forward to watching the Habs play the Bruins tonight while enjoying some apres hockey cold ones with the boys.

Interesting thought about 2 ex-Wolverines down the road. Perhaps we could see them together in Hamilton towards the end of this season?

I hope Reway plays tomorrow night against Drummondville, the game is on Sportsnet.

–Go Habs Go!–

6. jols101 says:

How long has Chucky been out for? They said 6 weeks right?

7. mdp2011 says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 1m
    Christian Thomas stayed in Hamilton. Not traveling with the team to Western Canada in case of a call up. #canadiens

Trade on the horizon?

8. mdp2011 says:

John Bartlett ‏@BartsBytes 5m
    First signs of morning skate for #Habs indicates that Peter Budaj will start tonight against Boston. #Habson690

9. Ali says:

Budaj starting tonight?

10. jols101 says:

Big Bad Bruins. It seems like a long time since we had one of those. The boys always get jacked for a game against them. Should be a beauty.

11. La Duke 16 says:

On the train with a buddy right now headed to the game tonight!!

I can’t wait – nothing like beating the Broons in B-Town.

12. habsfan0 says:

Ben Scrivens faced 59 shots last night and stopped them all.
    I have a hunch Carey Price will have to be just as sharp tonight for the Habs to have a chance.

13. Hstands4Hockey says:

The guy I’d really like to see the Habs target at the trade deadline is Robidas. Team desperately needs another reliable Right-shooting defenseman and I don’t think the ask would be too much. Could help out our dormant 2nd PP unit and because he speaks french he immediately meets 100% of requirements needed to be on the roster. We have a logjam on the left side of the defense and somethings got to give.

I’m not oppose to trading Markov either, his return will never be higher than it is now. This is PK’s D-Core now, and as great as Andrei is, 2-3 years from now when the team has the chance to be a serious contender it’s Georges, Emelin, Beaulieau & Tinordi on the left side.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

• Luke says:

Pair him with Boullion.

Just like the good ol’ days.

(He’s older than Markov, for the record).

• Hstands4Hockey says:

He’s an upgrade over our current RD behind Subban. Watching Emelin play the wrong side is terrifying. Boullion, Diaz and Murray are not NHL defenseman. Realistically we could probably get him for a 3rd round pick. It’s about the cost/benefit.

——————————————————————–
        Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
        @Hstands4Hockey

• Ron says:

He is still recovering from a broken leg. Just put skates on yesterday and is along way from getting back and is still having pain. It is estimated he might be back around the end of March. Trade deadline is March 5th. He is older at 36 and at 5’11/190 lbs he would be a big problem IMO.

• Luke says:

I don’t think he’s what the team needs… well, he’s not the right type of player to fill that need (due to age).

If Dallas is shopping D, I’d be going after Oleksiak. But, I doubt that they’d trade him, or that we have what it’d take to get him.

I’d still make the call though…

MB do it!

14. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

trading Andrei Markov is STUPID!

why would anyone think this would be a good move for the team is beyond me? you dont replace this type of all-star defenceman. If this team is serious about winning a cup, you are going to need him on your team come playoff time. If you trade him how will that make the team better? what would the canadiens get for a rent a player? a draft pick you will see in 5 years from now? This Team needs another blue liner who can play close to 30min, not get rid of one, loosing markov to replace him with anyone one of our other defenceman is a HUGE downgrade, Bouillon? Drewskie? Murray? Emelin? Georges? they are not 30 min guys. And we all saw the growing pains of P.k Subban, who is an exceptional talent, the less talented Beaulieu and/or tinordi will take even longer to become complete players, as defencemen are known to take longer to develop. Replacing the bottom four with these 2 prospects makes alot more sense then trading your number 1 pairing defenceman. This team need 1 more big time D-man, not get rid of one. They also need a big winger, the only solution is through Free Angency in the off season. If they trade Markov, its a big statement that says to the team and its fans, that the habs are not looking for a cup run in the next 3 seasons. They need to resign him and let go some bottom d-man in the off season and bring up beaulieu and tinordi, they need another all star defenceman and give carey price a really strong d pairing on the ice for almost the whole game. 3 all star d-man is what it will take, with one more scoring winger?? maybe replacing geo (which is unfortunate cause hes been a fantastic team player and captain) anyway if you think trading markov is the soution then you dont want to see this cup push for the team now, thats what I want a cup now not in 5 years, they need to go for it now. stop rebuilding and the fans need to stop accepting this team not pushing their chips in.

• Habfan17 says:

Here is the reason! The team is not built to win a cup and the odds of them winning this year, or next are very low!

If they want to build a team that can truly compete every year, they need players who will be around for years. Trading Markov now, would give them pieces that will be around and be more valuable going forward.

Short term pain, for long term gain. Plus, don’t forget, the Habs proved they can play without him the two years he was out. They didn’t have Subban or Beaulieu then. Tinordi is not far away either. Not to menion that Price is much better now and could do as Roy did and steal games in the playoffs.
      Habfan17

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

well if they trade markov i guarantee you they wont be making a cup run in the next 3 season, so have fun follwoing 82 games of a rebuild. and hope 5 years from now we will be ready.

Were close enough time to make a move, stop waiting we been waitng for 20 + years. time to go for the cup!

• Kooch7800 says:

Markov has actually hurt the team playing the minutes he has of late. If they could get a younger version that will help us long term I would do it in a heartbeat. We also are in dire need of offense up front

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

we have a younger markov type player in beaulieu. IFF he pans out, but he wont be at markov level for at least 5-6 season.

• Blade says:

Angel…all depends on what is offered for Markov. I don’t believe that we should trade him if we can’t get some young size and semi-proven talent back for him. Some teams do weird things at the deadline and may think Markov is the answer to getting over the hump. It would be nuts not to listen to offers for him.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

If someone wants to give us an offer we cant refuse for any player even subban we have to think about it. Im not saying that. Im saying the cups have a strong enough team to go for the cup right now, they are only a couple peices away, they need another big time dman and a big time scorer, both thiose issues can be delt with in the off season, and then wed have a really strong team.

• Habfan17 says:

You guarantee that do you? You have a crystal ball! The truth is once in, any team can win if the cards fall just right. key injuries Injuries to key players, first round upsets, you never know!

I don’t want the Habs ” hopefully” winning the cup. They need players and Markov’s value will not ne higher than it will be at this deadline. Actually, the last 4 games have hurt his value bith to the team and as a trade asset!

Of course, if teams offers aren’t good enough, you don’t trade him. The Habs have many holes to fill and if they can speed up the retooling by making a trade, they should go for it.

Habfan17

• Kooch7800 says:

….hmmm will we win the cup this year….not a chance. Could you get a lot for him at the trade deadline…YES.

Markov had a great start but in the last two seasons after the 40 game mark has looked old and slow. Unless he is willing to take a big haircut in salary they should move him. I would imagine this is why preliminary talks have started. MB wants to find out what he is asking in terms of term and dollar. If it doesn’t match what the habs are thinking than he will be gone

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I disagree that we will get alot for trading markov. if you were the gm for lets say pittsburgh going for the cup, what will you give up for markov? a big time scorer? hell no!!! history shows that teams give up draft picks for rent a players, not their current pieces. I think markov as a number 3 dman give you a huge advantage over other teams 3rd dman, i think if the habs offer him a extra year to his contract that he will take a cut, he has shown that hes a team player over and over again, he loves the city and the country, and quite honestly would be the captain of this team if he had a personalty better suited for dealing with media and fans. thats a fact actually.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I don’t disagree that trading Markov decreases their chance at winning this year. But what is the chance? 1 in 20 at best? His value will never be higher. We have way too many Left Shooting D-Men and we have to make room from Tinordi and Beaulieu.

It’s not about trading him because he isn’t good, it’s because he IS so good and could help us fill 1-2 holes in the lineup. This team has some SERIOUS talent incubating right now, but there is a complete team ready to compete for a cup.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

why not make move for him be letting go bouillon murray drewskie in the offseason> I agree I dont think this team is built for the cup this season, but I can see them there in the next 2. and Having markov on your team then will be a tremendously better then having one of our bottem 4 replace him.

• bwoar says:

They will not win the Cup this year, without without Markov.

#79’s been my favorite player for years. But it’s time for him to move on. You’re way, way overrating his contribution. At 5 on 5 he’s not a very good defenseman anymore.

“thoroughbred”

• GrosBill says:

Trading Markov would obviously not make the team better today, I doubt many would argue with you.

But, does it make the Habs a better team in three to five years when he is likely gone/retired? That is the question.

Unless you think the Habs have a legit shot at winning this year or next (sure, they have a chance like all that make the playoffs), I understand the trade Markov logic.

• habsonly says:

Agreed, trade Markov and then you have to sign another 1st pairing dman to replace him via UFA, if you trade for what?…. a prostect and a draft pick that may never pan out.
      I would like to see Markov retire a hab, IMO.

• CJ says:

I will stand up and put my name to the comments regarding Markov. The signs are all there. Markov gets walked around on a game by game basis. I think he still has value on the PP, but if he is struggling today, can you imagine what he’s going to be like in three years?

Look, I really like Markov, but if don’t deal him and Gionta we will only be repeating the errors we made with the UFA’s in 2009. Now is the time to move on.

Trade him now for a prospect and pick. Imagine a Tyler Toffoli from LA. If you don’t think Beaulieu can replace him, look at spending the money on Andrew MacDonald, who is younger, bigger, more mobile and still has upside.

Melnyk appeasing the fans saying with new TV deal they can spend more money, perhaps the fans should wait and see before believing. Wasn’t Melnyk’s legalized drug business running into some difficulties?

• bwoar says:

Melnyk needs to consider the value of the loonie before shooting his mouth off, too.

Did he just say he was going to be a buyer at the deadline? “To make the playoffs”? Not what I’d call spending wisely.

“thoroughbred”

• B says:

Now Melnyk can afford more law suits and forensic investigations. Next up, how come only 9 of 284 NHL Dmen have a worse +/- than Erik “boo hoo I miss Alfie” Karlsson?

–Go Habs Go!–

16. Maksimir says:

I’ll admit I like Murray, but Bergevin made a mistake not going after Fistric… younger/big hitter.. still has issues with speedy forwards but not bad…

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Murray as well but you are correct. Fistric has looked decent in California. I think MB might have been looking for just a band aid as he probably thought Tinordi might have been ready this year. We do have some decent D men coming up the pipe and Murray is just a stop gap signing

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Maksimir says:

Fistric signed for one year with Anaheim.. same as Murray…

• Kooch7800 says:

I understand that and I am not arguing he isn’t more useful than Murray.
          I just think MB was hoping Tinordi would be playing in the NHL at this point and Murray would be the 7th D man. We also have Drewskie who will soon be kicking around as well

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• namgel says:

Maksimir…Fistric…Croatian much ?

• GrosBill says:

Maybe MB did try and Fistric told him screw that, I am going to play in Cali.

I love the we shoulda/coulda grabbed these guys talk, but it is a bit unfair to assume they all would have played in Mtl.

17. Steeltown Hab says:

1-Dimensional Players have no role unless they’re a high end player in that dimension (Kessel)

That’s why I’ll always take a guy like Leblanc over a guy like Thomas. Leblanc has 2-way ability plays an all around game and has some offense.

Thomas is streak down the wing and shoot and I’m not sure he does that at NHL top 6 level.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Steeltown Hab says:

Add Eller over Desharnais (because it’s me)
      Add Beaulieu over Gorges
      Add De La Rose over Collberg
      Add Dumont over Holland

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

18. mrhabby says:

Man I hate Leaf fans and Bruins Fans…I work with a couple of these idiots. Would love to see a great team effort tonight against the Bruins…

19. bwoar says:

Having read the words “Winnipeg Enterprises” and “Barry Shenkarow” down below I’m almost afraid to read any other comments. *Shudder*

So, Thomas in, Bourque a healthy scratch, is that the way of it?

If I were a betting man, I’d lay money on MB getting any planned player movement down before the break….

“thoroughbred”

• Phil C says:

It’s unusual to have two trade deadlines.

Trust me bwoar, I have no love lost for either of those, but was responding to LafleurGuy with regards to the name of the old Winnipeg Arena. Those were dark days for the Jets.

• bwoar says:

Winnipeg Arena. How those words, in all caps, looked so big overhead, going there hand in hand with my dad. Parked a ways beyond the train tracks so it was easier to leave. Section 12, row 2, seats 8 & 9. A 7up to drink and a program in hand, right up beside the dressing room entrance. Good old $7 nosebleed tix from 7-11 when the grandparents took the seats. The views were so poor up there they had 14-inch TVs in the rafters to see the game. That old barn was my 2nd home. Still feels weird to pass by there and not see a rink.

Boy, those WEC clowns did no favours to the Bombers either. Kinda like the current BoG. It’s a minor miracle that the current Jets have proper ownership. The MTS centre isn’t the giant cavern that the Bell Centre is, but it’s fine place for hockey and not a bad place to catch a concert, either.

“thoroughbred”

ChiChi’s after the game when I finally came of age. Yah great memories, I remember meeting Selanne at the Royal Bank ATM machine across the road near the old AutoHaus VW dealer, he was in there pulling money out after the game. Commented on how cold it was outside and he said he loved it, felt like he was home in Finland.

CHeers bud! The 7-11 seats were a great deal!

20. Eddie says:

I promised myself I would not rant against anyone or anything while travelling, but…..

I really like what Bournival brings to the team. And my dislike for the coach aside, I can never understand why he was shoved down the ranks and played for 6 or 7 minutes a night.

The Habs were playing so well when he was a factor.

So last game I was pleased to see that he was brought back up to play with Plekanec, after all Bournival has about 5 “first assists” (direct pass”) on Plekanec goals.

When people say that coach’s decisions about lines and time on the ice don’t make much of a difference because this team is not good enough to compete, are they taking into account the following players, and aren’t these players good enough to compete for any team in the league?

Price
    Subban
    Markov
    Plekanec
    Pacioretty
    Gallagher
    Galchenyuk
    Eller
    Prust
    Bournival

And some toughness from White and Moen.

You guys don’t think that’s enough quality players to compete?

And we have perhaps the best, definitely top 5, goalie in the world?

I just don’t agree.

• Eddie says:

And I should add the Gorges and Emelin would be good enough to be a “4 dman on almost every team in the league.

Not top 3, I agree.

But they are better than 3rd pairing defencemen throughout the league.

Most teams 5 and 6 dmen are relatively crap and not much better than ours, if at all.

• Phil C says:

So in otherwords, they are missing a #3 defenseman? Ideally a right handed one.

They are also missing a big defensive right-handed centre who is good on face-offs and can take some of the shutdown assignments against centres like Staal.

Plug those two holes, and I think the Habs may have something.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

IDeally they need a number one d-man to push everyone down a spot. Imagine a pronger, chara, or seabrook on this team to go with

subban
          markov,
          emelin
          georges
          beaulieu and tinordi.

sorry murray, drewskie, bouillon, its been nice, maybe you can be a depth guy, but nothing more.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

You can’t have 5 left-shooting D. It doesn’t work.

——————————————————————–
            Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
            @Hstands4Hockey

• bwoar says:

Josh Gorges would not by in a top 4 on a contending team. Emelin, if he gets back the form we’ve seen previously, might qualify.

“thoroughbred”

• frontenac1 says:

Anybody else notice that TU-74 hits more when Parros is on the ice? Maybe he is fed up getting mugged after he lays on one his bone crushers?

Yup, total agreement. Staubitz also for a brief time helped Emelin play bigger I seem to recall.

• bwoar says:

Definitely the big man makes ‘em all that much tougher.

“thoroughbred”

• commandant says:

How do you even notice this when Parros plays about 2 minutes a night?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• John Q Public says:

Parros vs Staubitz
            Brad wins w/ a KO!
            Bring him back !!!!!

Ben, I can ask you the same, how can you not notice how much braver the boys look knowing they got their backsides covered from the Heavyweight. You don’t have to like the fighting, I know you are against it and I respect that, but the players indeed know when they have Murray and Parros in the lineup.

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Commandant! How are you amigo? I noticed it the last game when TU-74 had three good hits when the 4th line with Parros was on the ice. And then in the Hawks game when he absolutely crushed a guy and Bollig wanted a piece of him.Parros skated in and Bollig went back to his bench. Hey, do you thing Sam Bennett will go in the top 10?

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I agree about emelin, him and markov would make a great second pairing if he gets back to form, and then they can get p.k a big time d partner and come 3rd period, just play those 4. you know team wont score agaisnt us very often then. build from the goalie out.

• scotland says:

GORGES IS NOT A TOP 4 ANYWHERE. ON SOME CLUBS HE’S NOT A TOP SIX AND WOULD BE A HEALTHY SCRATCH

• Cal says:

It’s not those players that are the problem, are they?
      The secondary cast just isn’t good enough.

• Eddie says:

Do teams win or compete because of their secondary players, Cal?

I’m not being sarcastic.

Teams win when their “best” play better than the other teams “best”

At least that’s what I believe.

• Cal says:

Actually, yes. One of those cases in point was Bickell’s play during the Hawks’ Cup run.
          Generally, he’s a third line plugger. During the playoffs, he brought more.
          Our pluggers, like Moen, Bourque, Parros and Gionta (these days), need to bring more than just a body that hits and blocks shots. Once every 8 games, they have to score. If they don’t and never create opportunities (even from the 4th line), they are a waste of ice time.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I agree. A dominant player can win you a few games but they can’t win the Cup alone. That’s why you see so many supporting cast heros in the playoffs.

• ont fan says:

So you go the free agent way and sign Sutter, Parise, and Pomminville. Spend millions and are in the same position as the Habs now. Never really mentioned as a contender.How upset are you if the were playing here?

• scotland says:

gionta getting a boat load of ice time is a huge problem.

gorges getting boat load of ice time is a huge problem.

those two should be the secondary cast. instead they are the captain and assistant captain. and opposing players are not the least bit concerned to play against them.

• GL says:

Eddy – All we’re lacking is a couple more 20-25 goal scores to go along with your list with some toughness and I would agree with you 100% this team could go toe to toe with any team in the league. we don’t need to dismantle this team get the two players I mentioned and we are set to compete with the best ….. Give up a couple of draft picks to get them because if we wait till the junior guys come into the picture there’s no forwards in Hamilton maybe 4th liners. The players we have right now is gonna be in their 30’s and here we are starting over again. we’ll never win a cup this way.

• scotland says:

well eddie i willnot argue that with good smart coaching this team could compete in the play offs. having said that i do not thin k they could beat pens or bruins in a seven game series. they could beat anybody else in the east though. but with therrien in charge, they would not beat anybody in a seven game series. they wont even make the play offs.

yes bounival has proven to be the best fit on pleks line. everyone knew that…………except the guy who gets paid to know it. the coach.

fire this guy

we all know he will never coach again……..so why the he11 is he coaching the habs!

• jacquesthemonkey says:

Bournival reminds me alot of Gallagher. A speedy forechecking pest that can cause turnovers and garbage goals. It would be great to have a guy like that on each line. Like Gallagher, if he is complimented by a playmaker and a sniper, he can be effective.

21. Lafleurguy says:

I can’t remember who no. 14 was!?
    “Bends but won’t break”
    P.S. Brain freeze. Tremblay. Got fooled by Scottie double-shifting Mario. Must’ve been icing 7 d-man, Chartraw, Lupien.

22. DipsyDoodler says:

On rds.ca Bert Raymond (I know, but bear with me) asks whether this is the end of the road for Louis Leblanc.

He hasn’t done much this year, but honestly he hasn’t been given much of an opportunity. Seems to that with White and Gally out for a long time he could get a 6-10 game tryout on the 4th line. He seems at least defensively responsible. And clearly better than George Parros.

But maybe the reality is he isn’t going to make it anyway.

• Cal says:

He’s a 3rd line guy. I don’t see why he’s dismissed by that old racist fart. Could it be because he’s not Lafleur?

• DipsyDoodler says:

In fairness, he’s not personally dismissing him. He’s coming to the conclusion that Habs’ mgmt are dismissing him.

• Mattyleg says:

Bertie ♥ Guy

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• wjc says:

French is not a race. Lablanc has had his look in Hamilton and has 9 goals.

wjc

• bwoar says:

One race, one blood my man. Cheers.

Leblanc, bah. Hope he likes watching tennis. He’s a marginal hockey player.

“thoroughbred”

• Mattyleg says:

The Royal Comission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism was set up by Pearson in 1963 to

“inquire into and report upon the existing state of bilingualism and biculturalism in Canada and to recommend what steps should be taken to develop the Canadian Confederation on the basis of an equal partnership between the two founding races, taking into account the contribution made by the other ethnic groups to the cultural enrichment of Canada and the measures that should be taken to safeguard that contribution”.

More here.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

Read something interesting the other day about how race is an outdated concept and doesn’t really exist, or at least isn’t necessary. Racism really is Ethnicism… etc etc.

I’m not going to weigh in on th etopic any further, but it was somewhat interesting.

• bwoar says:

1963, nuff said.

“thoroughbred”

• New says:

Likewise the actual report that took half a decade to prepare addresses the issue where the Wiki avoids it. The report quoted “The word “race” is used in an older meaning as referring to a national group, and carries no biological significance .” http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/301/pco-bcp/commissions-ef/dunton1967-1970-ef/dunton1967-70-vol1-eng/dunton1967-70-vol-part1-eng.pdf

Just for giggles and chuckles. But it shows how one zealous bureaucrat penning the terms of reference for a lengthy commission can throw disarray into the entire effort with a poor choice of words – the French version of the terms was “peuple” not peuple élu or and other meaning. They meant the two founding nationalities, nothing more, nothing less.

• frontenac1 says:

Tied with Tarnasky. Why not give him a look?

• Lafleurguy says:

Big mystery. Tarnasky will walk at season’s end.

“Bends but won’t break”

• Kooch7800 says:

Tarnasky isn’t a great skater and looks slow in the AHL. He had some nice goal scoring at the start of the season but since has really tailed off. He could be ok in a very limited role on the 4th line but that is about it.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Kooch, I think if Tarnasky were just a bit better at brawlin’ with the big boys he could replace Parros (as his skating is better than George’s) on the big club for that role.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Burly. His fighting isn’t terrible though either but he can’t hang with the heavy weights.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

Does “dismissive shit” work better for you, then?

• scotland says:

white has speed, toughness, grit and a real team player. playing with decent guys and given more than 6 minutes a game he can put the puck in the net and play make not bad for a 3rd liner.

23. CJ says:

Although nothing is official it would make sense IMO, to have a call up given that the Bulldogs are leaving for an extended road trip which starts on the west coast. This could be protection against injury, illness or a trade.

24. shiram says:

On Thomas, if indeed he is recalled it could be just to see what he can bring in the big League, to better assess the depth of the team before trade deadline.

• Kooch7800 says:

He hasn’t impressed me from the games I have seen in Hamilton. I am not sure if he isn’t fully recovered from his sports hernia.

In his previous AHL years he has done quite well but is average on the dogs squad

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• shiram says:

I don’t watch the Dogs, but it seems to me they are having about the same issues scoring as the Habs do.
        I’ll refer again to Gally, who was not doing great when he was called up, but benefited from playing with better players in MTL.
        Sometimes you have to give a chance, and as I said they probably want to take a look.

Timing is weird though, as the Bruins game is a tough start for a small rookie.

• Kooch7800 says:

The Bruins are never an easy team to get your first game against. Especially as he adds to our small column.

You are right about how some players do play better in the NHL. Gallagher didn’t look very impactful in the AHL either but in the NHL is a very integral part of our team

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• CJ says:

I personally have not seen a Bulldogs game this month, but Dan Kramer who follows the team says that he and Sven have been the two best Bulldogs recently.

• Kooch7800 says:

I haven’t seen him play since the End of December but I hope he has improved since then. He was a non factor in any of the games I have seen previously.

He has had success in the past and i think it may have just been rust

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• scotland says:

Tanarsky on the bulldogs. Wonder why he is not given a chance. Tough as nails. Bang, crash, fight with net presence…..scored 9 or 10 goals for the dogs. Won so many one sided fights for Rochester last year that not many takers patrolling the wing for the Bulldogs this season. Creates room for linemates.

nothing to lose playing him over brierre, bourque, gionta for a few games.

but then again MT may do what he did with Natinen…. 2 shifts for 80 seconds

25. jo_maka says:

Some below suggested a trade with WSH. If it’s that hard for them to bring Kuznetsov over, dare we gamble and send them Markov for him ? One on one ?

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”

• Habfan17 says:

He could come over for next season. He was drafted 26th overall in 2010. I think the Habs might have a better chance if they kept Markov as a mentor, but, if The deal was that The Habs could negotiate and have confirmation he was coming over next season, then perhaps. He is not the bigger winger most of us would like, but he has skill and might look great with Galchenyuk at centre!

From Hockey’s Future;
      Kuznetsov signed a two-year extension with his hometown team and developmental team Traktor Chelyabinsk in May of 2012. It looks like Caps management will have to wait at least until 2014-15 to get a glimpse of Kuznetsov in North America. He has all the makings of a top-six forward in the NHL with his gifted offensive abilities, so it just seems like a waiting game at this point.

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

Actually, just checked his stats, not great. I would rather they trade Markov to LA for Tanner Pearson or for Kyle Clifford and LA’s first round pick this draft.

Habfan17

• scotland says:

trades will not help this team. its glaringly obvious that before any moves are made……..mb has to look at the pink elephant in the office……………. CHANGE THE COACH. step one

26. DipsyDoodler says:

* He’s French Canadian
    * Captained his QMJHL team to the Memorial Cup
    * At age 21 has played himself onto the Canadiens’ #1 line
    * He’s fast, somewhat skilful, and never stops working.

Why isn’t he talked about more?

• shiram says:

Bournival right?
      I keep saying he’s got some of the same stuff that Gally’s got.
      And although he was somewhat wasted in a 4th line role, he kept plugging at it.
      Some here were putting him down, in defence of Therrien, but I always thought he should have gotten top 9 time.

You just stirring? Bournival gets lots of love here, in particular ask Habfan10912 and Habstrinifan about him.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Not at all.

I wasn’t referring to H I/O. I’m wondering why he isn’t a bigger star in Quebec. Remember how Latendresse and Lapierre were almost rock stars? Gallagher has a McDonald’s burger (OK that’s gross but still it means he’s being marketed).

He seems to be under the radar.

• shiram says:

He’s not been playing top minutes consistently enough I’d think, and his stats reflect that.
          To catch on like Gally did you have to score and be flashy, which Bournival was not given much chance of doing.

I think/hope after this season when a Gionta is moved out or moves on, Bournival can get a better spot in top 6 or 9 and then I think he becomes a marketing machine for the Habs.

I still don’t know where he finally slots in, he could end up being our next Keane or Skrudland I think.

• Mattyleg says:

This, I believe, is a good thing.
          Look what happened to Lappy and Guigui.
          And Ribeiro.
          And Theo.
          And Dagenais (?).

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DipsyDoodler says:

For sure (although all those players must have had some good times in Montreal. I mean really good times).

But my point is I don’t think it’s a conscious decision by the player or the team. Maybe it’s just the way he is.

Anyway, hopefully Therrien keeps him on Plex’ line.

It’s obviously way too early, but Bournival seems to be a no nonsense, leadership guy. I could see down the road him being a Captain or at the least wearing an A on his shirt.

Maybe he will be our Captain Serious, not sure how that translates?

• shiram says:

Capitaine Sérieux?
            Unless I’m missing a reference.

Nope Shiram, no other reference, I just didn’t know what the word was in french off hand and didn’t know if there would be a neat ring to it.

• frontenac1 says:

The young gals loved Yappy”s Long Flowing Hair. They”ve got to have their fun too amigo.

• scotland says:

sure does. but bounival was not signed by mb to 8 million for two years. so brierre gets chance after chance after chance ahead of him. now it appears that after all those chances and 50 plus games the coach knows what we all knew,,,,,, bournival in 013/014 is a much better hockey player than daniel brierre.

mb looks terrible on this one. and not just in hindsight. have lots of friend who are flyer fans…………..at time of signing they all said pretty well same thing….brierre is finished. not one flyer fan was disappointed he was leaving.

mb did not see or research that.

8 mill is fair bit to throw away on a wish

• Cal says:

All his stats from junior on haven’t been that impressive. Shows again what stats conceal. That average scoring may be why not much hype is surrounding him. He’s a keeper.

27. Strummer says:

Ben Scrivens’ record- setting shutout victory last night was truly Halakian

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

28. Steeltown Hab says:

Rumor is that Christian Thomas is being called up. Consider Bergevin traded for him and has stock in him, guarantee when / if he plays he’s not subjected to the Leblanc, Nattinen treatment.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

Saw some comments below regarding Bickell and how low his production is this season and that he is on a new contract, perhaps a bad one. Chicago Blackhawks knew and know exactly what they have in Bickell. A big strong presence who will battle through injuries (as he did in the playoffs with a bad knee and a wrist that required surgery after the Cup victory) and provide scoring from the dirty areas, responsible play on the ice, leadership and grit.

His point totals are down this year, he is getting used to wearing matching knee braces as he recovers from missing almost a month this season. His point totals in the playoffs last year almost matched his regular season output. The Hawks didn’t give him a contract to become a 20 goal scorer or 30 goal scorer. They gave him a contract to keep a great role player whom they developed on their team. A player who deserves much praise for helping win that team its second Stanley Cup in just a few years.

I don’t think Bowman made a mistake, he simply is keeping in house the type of player all teams wish they had. A warrior.

• CJ says:

Great points. You’re spot on. Bickell brings a lot to the table, including a physical presence and net drive. I’ve liked him since watching him with the Ottawa 67’s yeas ago. That said, I didn’t even notice him during the Montreal game. 9 points has to be disappointing, although not terribly surprising. I said last spring, Bickell and Stallberg were going to become very rich men based on their playoff performance. A four year contract for a big man with bad knees might be a good deal, but the jury is still out.

• Ron says:

Burly, yes the secret docs have been transported successfully uncoded. :D

• scotland says:

well said.

every team needs a bickell.

habs have not had one since corson.

prust tries to emulate that type of player

30. commandant says:

Scrivens Record Setting Performance

Patrick Roy and the Avalanche’s chase for the Playoffs.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

31. knob says:

It would be nice to see Bournival on a line with Plekanec in back to back games. I wonder if Terrien has it in him to continue with success?

• scotland says:

so far he has proven he does not.

one of the problems with therrien (and there are many) is that he just cant get out of the way. seems to really think tinkering with lines between games in his office is a sign of a hard working coach.

sometimes he should just shut up, leaves the lines together and d pairings for weeks (except for injuries) make up game sheet , run practice. and oh yea….shut up

32. Hobie Hansen says:

Since we don’t win Stanley Cups or regularly go far in the playoffs anymore, games like tonight against the Bruins are often one of the highlights of the season.

The Boston fans, media and team are flying high as usual. They’re 1st in the Atlantic and 2nd in the East. They look north of the boarder and see teams like the Habs and Leafs and just chuckle because they know that over the past five years they’ve gotten the better of both teams.

The Bruins beat the Habs and Leafs on the scoreboard and most often beat them in the alley. They beat the Habs in seven games a few years ago and crushed the Leafs hearts in seven last year.

Normally I don’t lump the Habs and Leafs together but boy do I ever hate Boston!

So lets hope that Subban and Paciorrety are on point with a few laser beams tonight and guys like Prust, Parros and Murray are ready to dish out some physical punishment and stand up for our team!

Should be a good one! Go Habs Go!

33. Chrisadiens says:

Stubbs saying Christian Thomas may have just been called up.

Weird if true.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

34. mksness says:

Wow scrivens was crazy good last night.

35. Lafleurguy says:

There is some marketing genius afoot, ’cause no doubt, some Super Bowl revelers were in attendance, and maybe they’ll warm up to the cool game of hockey. If these Heritage Classic games could entice Budweiser to air the Clydesdale-kneeling-at-the-Statue-of-Liberty commercial, I’m down with that.

“Bends but won’t break”

36. Lafleurguy says:

habcertainJANUARY 29, 2014 AT 9:40 PM
    I feel like I’m in the middle of a secret society……what’s the handshake!

I’m laughing like Dunboyne sometimes does!

37. 1. We are traveling to Regina for a ringette tournament today. Now watching my daughter play sports is so much fun, but the Bruins vs Habs are on tonight, I need my comfy room to watch it, not XM radio.
    2. Superbowl is Sunday, we’ll be on the road back to Brandon.

This is three times in the last 4 years, who does this?
    I own, coach, and run my Bantam team. First thing I do before I book any game/practice is work the 5 W’s.

Got a great deal on 90 minutes of ice on 14 Feb. Sorry team, but mom is the reason you’re here and how often does that day come on a Friday? We practiced last year on that day because well it was a weekday and truthfully most moms want cards and flowers and get out of their way, but this is Friday (2014), this is your chance to do a little more…..well not me though, we’re season ticket holders to the Wheat Kings, so I’m going there haha

Where was I, oh right, I remember when penny candies were a penny, and 25 cent Hostess Roast Turkey was awesome.

Bruins? BRUINS? Yeah, who gives a ______ about the BRUINS! They’re goin down!

One question, where would Michel Therrien be working had the Habs not hired him? Vancouver, New York Rangers? After all he’s that good right? Everyone was lined up to sign him, right? hehe just working Matty’s gears :lol:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOD MOOOOOOOOOOORNING MANITOBA! If you’re tired just step outside for one second, -20 will get you every time, and that’s a nice temperature here.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

38. habsguru says:

i say one every two years is plenty. maybe play the game on a pond.

39. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends.

Re; Outdoor Games

Enough! Can we just hold one of these things a year? OK, I’ll even give you two, one for the US and one for Canada but enough is enough. The play in this league is tough enough on the eyes on good ice. That crap we saw over the last week is an insult to fans everywhere.

This idea of this charming oddity played once a year was interesting. Now it has all the charm and interest of the Snake Lady exhibit at the County Fair.

It’s now been kidnapped by the Hawkers, otherwise known as the money grabbing greedy – millionaire owners – of the NHL. They saw HUGE $$$$ as they charge regular season expensive ticket prices to 3 times as many stools, er ah fans, as before.

And they don’t stop there. Then they have their shills in the networks tell us fans how wonderful it all is. They interview “fans” in the stands who will be sick for weeks, who like sheep, think they’re enjoying themselves because the press and TV analysis tell them so. Bahhhhhhh.

We’ll all hear from the Bettman shills and apologist soon about how revenues are up and the game is healthier then ever.

You keep throwing a garbage product out there like that and eventually most people will stop going and tuning in.

Over exposing a good product is one thing (See College Basketball). Over exposing garbage is something quite different. That hockey on the outdoor ice the last week was just plain awful.

Enough!

• Lafleurguy says:

And a good morning, sir! My thoughts were, a Ferris wheel in centerfield, shooting gallery in right field, a painted gold seat where that 12 year old Jeffrey kid converted a double to a winning Series-game home-run (yes, not factual, ’cause it happened in the House That Ruth Built), and Nuts and Cotton Candy in left field. Where were the mascots?

“Bends but won’t break”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy. Funny, but I’m an old fart when it comes to hockey. I don’t like all the artificial noise in today’s arenas. The game is filled with loud music, recorded chants and drums and there is little room for the fans personalities to come out.

I yearn for the days of Dutchie’s “GO HABS GO” chant, the bugle guy at the Forum, and the spontaneous cheers, groans and outright personality of a NHL building.

I go to a game now and its nothing like the ‘good old days’. Gosh, I sound like my father. :)

• Lafleurguy says:

Holy smokes! The Bugle Guy! I’m in complete agreement with you. Had absolutely the top row seats with my 10 year old little brother at the old Winnipeg Arena (I guess the naming rights were bought by “Winnipeg”), and still the game looked terrific. The nose-bleed section was 12 rows below us.

“Bends but won’t break”

Remember the arena Mgmt. company was Winnipeg Enterprises, gov’t owned and operated I think. I believe that was Barry Shenkarow’s big complaint how the City was making money off of “his” team. I remember all the gov’t handouts given, only to have team leave as soon as the “loans” and such ran out.

• Cal says:

I’m the same. Last game I took in was more annoying than anything else. It seems that there is no room to discuss the game anymore with your neighbour because the idiot DJ has to pump out crap at concert-level decibels. Then, there’s all the other stuff after the whistle that distracts and detracts from the game itself. I, too, miss Dutchy and his bugle, the organist cranking out tunes instead of that pre-programmed shite they call music and the fans themselves starting the “Go Habs Go!” chant.
          I blame a-hole marketers that no nothing about the sport and how to appreciate it for what it is. I loved the Forum. The Bell Centre is a money pit.

• D Man says:

I’m with you, Habfan. Last game I went to (Buffalo to se the Habs), I tried ear plugs. It worked OK but it made it hard to talk to my buddy. I hate manufactured noise at all times, I even mute hockey on TV. If the “music” they played was eliminated it would ease things a bit. That’s my rant for the day.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• I wanted to go to LA :) That would have been fun! But standing in the freezing cold? That’s a Bombers game in Oct!

MOOOOOOOOOOOORNING JIMMMMMMMMMMMYO

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• JUST ME says:

I tend to agree with your comment but i think that we will have no choice but to switch from what was a charming idea to what is now a fantastic commercial machine for the NHL. Cause it does reach it`s purpose to promote the game to more people.

Problem is that those have become more an event, a happening than a hockey game. Up there i doubt that you see the puck as you would want …This allows the NHL to have nothing more than an average show on ice cause the hype around the event boosts the expectations and the impression that it was something special.

We are very far from the spirit of the first one we have seen between the Habs and the Oilers i`d say…

The charm of getting back to the essence of the game, cold, outside, snow, shovels is once again wasted for commercial purposes.

• wjc says:

First off, you do not have to watch, I didn’t.

These ‘money grubbers, greedy owners’ are the owners of the game. They own the rinks, the players etc.

They are business men interested in maximizing profits.

People are eating it up, so what are you going to do.

The hockey was awful? I don’t know, didn’t watch, no big deal.
      I got no complaints.

wjc

• D Man says:

Not even one! But hey, it’s a CLASSIC don’t ya know.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• commandant says:

I went to the AHL one in Hamilton.

Never again will I go to an outdoor game. Bad ice, bad hockey, bad viewing angles and freezing cold.

No thanks.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• jackbutt says:

I’m with you! What I really don’t like is outdoor games in California. Now they’re talking about Arizona. Keep it in the snow for me.

40. Cal says:

Fun HIO show. And Farber is right; coaches don’t change much. It’s about the makeup of the team. The Habs simply don’t have the horses to contend yet.
    PK and Price, and sometimes Markov play elite level hockey. The rest don’t and, with their talent level, simply can’t. (Okay, okay, Chucky has a good chance to get there)
    The Habs remain a middle of the pack team with not much on the farm and a few promising 19-year-olds developing in the minors and overseas.
    I also agree with Farber on international ice. More room doesn’t necessarily make for better hockey: elite players do, and that’s why Olympic hockey is fun to watch (providing you’re watching teams like Canada, Sweden, the US, Russia, the Czechs and Finland).
    Can’t wait to see what Irvin has to say next week.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal. For me its not even about not having the horses to be elite. This team is not very entertaining even on their best of nights. When they don’t show up like last Saturday they’re unwatchable.

Couldn’t they be an average team whose entertaining to watch? I’d be down with that until we get more horses in the stable.

• Cal says:

Definitely, Jim. Why not play run and gun and at least make it entertaining to watch?
        This defense first mentality when you don’t have a team that can contend is utter nonsense.

• wjc says:

I agree coaches are basically the same. Hockey is not a great mystery. The players have to have the talent and execute.

Coaches always need the players, if they don’t what can they do, improvise, juggle, pat on the back, kick the ass? Hope for good players and when they are fired, go to another team and repeat.

wjc

41. Marc10 says:

I’m rather enjoying the 24CH episodes. It’s interesting to see how a coach motivates his troops. Lots of appeals to egos, character and pride in MT’s speeches. Gorges, White and Prust seem to do most of the cheering in the room. Clearly the guys know what they have to do and it’s about getting on with it.

Gotta say Therrien cracked me up with his joke about Prust’s new haircut and how he wasn’t responsible for enforcing that hatchet job.

Budaj seems like the best of teammates. Funny, outgoing and a solid backup to boot.

• Habfan10912 says:

May I add the humble ways of Galchenyuk. A couple of scenes in particular point out this young mans attitude.

One where Therrien is going over a blown defensive coverage between period of a game. Galchenyuk quietly says to the coach, “I’ll do better coach.”

The second is on the ice and he says to Prust, “I suck.” Prust smiles and looks at him and says, “You’re the best player out here man. You kidding?.”

Kind of cool, eh?

• wjc says:

The only thing one has to realize is, they know the camera is there. They know that reality is different from a staged event.

Players say the right thing, blah, blah, blah….but how much is real.

You put a camera on me and I am aware of it, I put my best foot forward when in ear/eye shot of the camera.

Remember it is not real.

wjc

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ben Scrivens, a 59 save shut-out over San Jose, 3-0 …whoa !

…100 total shots by San Jose towards net

..incroyable !

43. CJ says:

In the category of weirdest stats;

I just realized Bryan Bickell had as many goals in last year’s Stanley Cup playoffs as he has points (goals and assists combined) this season.

In case anyone’s wondering, the total is 9.

Our GM is far from perfect and has made his share of errors, but he is not without company. This is an imperfect science. Believe it or not, as badly as we have played these past two weeks, we still have more wins then either Chicago or LA over the previous 10 games, respectively.

Something to think about….goodnight all! Cheers, CJ

• SlovakHab says:

The main issue is that it seems MB doesn’t have what it takes to be an elite NHL GM, and you won’t win the Cup without one in a 30-team NHL.

Both teams that you compared us to are infinitely stronger.
      There’s losing streaks when you get super unlucky and although you play well, the puck won’t go into net. There are losing streaks when you get smoked and it will be obvious players have quit on the coach. Habs and LA aren’t on the same boat..

• third generation haber says:

With regards to MB. I hate many of his moves, but what hinders the habs most (in-terms of the path to recovery) is:

1) several years of wasting draft picks on college players.
        2) satisfying the needs of Quebecers (Especially the media)
        3) the smurf mess that MB inherited from the past regime(s)

j.p. murray

• piper says:

3) the smurf mess that MB inherited from the past regime(s)
          …….and added to.

• third generation haber says:

Very true! The Kristo trade (though happy the f%$& head was traded) blows my mind, and the Briere/ DD addition/extension can only be explained by a desperate attempt to add Quebecois players to the team. Hopefully MB will show he’s learned his lesson by sending Diaz to play for the Swiss Women’s National Team.

j.p. murray

• CJ says:

I agree Chicago and LA are both much better. It simply galvanizes my point, which is to say that even the best teams can go through dips. Again, Montreal was 8-5-1 in December and 4-2-1 in January before the skid.

Regarding our GM, I’m not sure I can say whether or not he has what it takes. I’m not really sure who are the elite GM’s either. That’s for someone much more knowledgeable then myself to say.

Lastly, just to clarify, LA has suffered recent loses of 7-1, 6-0 and 5-1. I don’t think it’s fair to say we are the only team to have gotten smoked. If, as you say and again to which I agree, LA is a much better team, would it not be more concerning when a great team loses 7-1 as opposed to an average team like Montreal losing 6-0?

Maybe you are right, LA and Chicago might have just been super unlucky.

• third generation haber says:

Our cold streaks are certainly more publicized than other teams; you’re right, good teams play badly during the season as well.

What matters is whether or not we are built for the playoffs and the answer is clearly no! Chicago and L.A. have the talent and toughness to go all the way. Slumps during the season are irrelevant to them.

The fact that we lose most puck battles (explains the fact that), we don’t control possession of the puck (explains why), we get out shot and out-chanced constantly (so it’s not surprising that), we are 13th in the conference in goals scored, means that we cannot possibly survive a playoff run.

Our slumps are indicative of how bad we are; they correspond with our season to date stats. Slumps for teams who have a hope in hell of winning the cup (L.A., Boston, Pitt, Anaheim, S.J., Col, ST.L, Chi.) are just anomalies.

The only anomaly in Montreal is our goaltenders’ ability to keep us in an undeserved playoff spot.

Were it not for the fact that there are so many other bad teams, we’d be on the outside looking in.

j.p. murray

• CJ says:

Good points. We are 13th in goals scored, but 4th in goals against (eastern conference) which is amazing considering how many we have surrendered this month. League wide we are 7th.

Again, you are right we have played really bad hockey recently. I don’t however agree with the notion that we don’t deserve to be in the playoff picture. If we don’t deserve to be there, what about the Leafs? 9 of their wins have come via shoot out. On 10 occasions they have been outshot at least 2:1, yet have won.

After 52 games we are where we deserve to be. If we continue to play poorly we will be out. If we can turn it around we will remain in. The team will decide it’s fate.

• third generation haber says:

Thanks for your well considered reply. I’m afraid I’m less optimistic (glass half MT) than u are .

I think our playoff position and the great GAA is explained solely by our goaltending. I know every team relies on good goaltending, but if u have to be carried into the playoffs on your goalies back, then u don’t deserve to, and are much better off, not being there.

Price will “carry” us into round 1, possibly 2, and we will then be rewarded with a crappy draft spot. Long-term it will mean no super-stars in our pipeline and perpetual mediocrity.

j.p. murray

• CJ says:

Good points. I respect your opinion and don’t necessarily disagree. I’ve been very outspoken regarding what I think this franchise needs to do to turn the corner. It starts with moving Markov and Gionta.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

@HabFab

…Frank, the e-mail bounced-back as undeliverable

…meanwhile, I will try to obtain something for You, and We will discuss after :)

45. GL says:

Coaching change right now won’t help the Habs. If MB can make a good trade or two. That will help the Habs but only trades that will help the team for a long time to come.

• third generation haber says:

If u are talking about “helping” them to become a cup-contender this year, no coach or trade could possibly do so. We are not an elite team!

If u are talking long-term, now you’re talking! Markov is the one (expendable) asset we possess that could bring us serious benefit long-term. I’m talking a big prospect from the 2011 or 12 drafts. A player who could join our young core for the next 10 years.

j.p. murray

46. Sportfan says:

For those who didn’t get a chance to see it, here’s my article on big money contracts.

• rhino514 says:

This is an old argument, but the counterpoint is; if there were any attempt at controlling players salaries, it´s called collusion. The money saved on players contracts would go into the pockets of the owners, who are either billionaires or close to it. I´d rather have it go into the pockets of the player, personally.
      It´s like capitalism; an intensely flawed system, but better than any of its alternatives. Preserving the free market is healthier than any attempt at artifical, autocratic market control.
      I live in Europe and the irnony is that most north american athletes earn peanuts compared to first division soccer players; and yet Europe is home to the Welfare State and supposedly a more just society.
      So if Europeans, who are the closest thing we have to moral human beings on the planet, endure and even propagate such a free system, you can be sure it is far less evil than any other structure that currently exists.

47. Propwash says:

Carcillo being his usual self.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

48. CJ says:

Watching the stadium series game, I thought I’d spend some time taking a deeper dive into the salaries and contract status of players in the game.

Firstly, I can’t think of anyone due a bigger raise then Andrew MacDonald. He currently makes the league minimum, $525,000. He might be able to add an extra zero as a UFA. At 27 years of age, he is the kind of puck moving defencemen a team could justify going longer term on.

If Kyle Opkso and John Tavares played in Canada they would be regarded as two of the game’s best players.

Lastly, it’s amazing that three Islanders are in the top 30 in league scoring. If they could get any kind of goaltending this could be a team to contend with. One could argue that if they would have gotten even average goaltending in last year’s playoffs they would have beaten the Penguins.

When did Tavares start being regarded as less than one of the games best players? Okposo I don’t think is in that elite status, but Tavares to me is a player that if push came to shove, I would offer PK for. To me that is elite status.

• CJ says:

Oh trust me, I feel the same way about Tavares. He is often overlooked though among fringe fans. Perhaps I should have framed my comment more effectively. IMO he is among the top five.

Okposo is really carving an identity. Without looking, I don’t think more then 3/10 fans would realize he has over 50 points. He is very solid. At $2.8 million dollars, he is among, if not the, best values in the league.

• Ozmodiar says:

>Firstly, I can’t think of anyone due a bigger raise then Andrew MacDonald.

PK Subban? ;)

Too close to home? Okay, how ’bout RNH?

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

…funny and ironic watching latest installment of 24CH with My Boy …scene of Therrien addressing the Troops in the locker-room …sans Carey (asked to leave the room) …this happening after Habs collapse in the Brodeur/Devils’ game

…essentially lambasting the Team for deserting and letting down Price

…to paraphrase, ‘We must play as a Team, We let down Carey, don’t do it again,I know You won’t because I believe in Your character…’

…ha, I guess ‘the message’ never got through to His ‘character’ team-mates :)

• CJ says:

The scene followed the game against the Sens. It was in Toronto before the game against the Leafs.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…You’re right CJ, it was following the Sens game, not the Devils

…yet it remains it took a few games before the message took hold before the Carolina game

• CJ says:

Agreed. The original point is entirely valid. I almost began to believe that the entire team had the flu.

• habcertain says:

that whole scenario of Therrien asking a player to leave then blast the rest for non-support, qualifies him for dismissal from his job, how amateurish can he be.

• jsmar10 says:

habcertain: Therrien didn’t ask Price to leave the room to blast the team. Price and Plex I believe were called out of the room by an unknown source, Therrien said something along the lines of “while Carey isn’t here…yadda yadda yadda”. He never asked Carey to leave so that he could cuss out the team.

50. JUST ME says:

Perfect timing for a good ole matchup against the Bruins.
    After all we went through ain`t no time for meaningless games against another team that are maybe maybe not.
    With the Bruins we need to show up . Perfect timing just before superbowl weekend 2 games in 2 days usually in front of a younger daytime audience.

Some players may not be with the Habs by this time next week so it is up to them to either give it all or play to be in the showroom to be traded..

And then Olympics time for some ,rest and reflect on your future for others cause after the games it`s the final run for the team and for some in a Habs jersey.

I have a feeling with everything happening on the planet and especially in russia these days that the NHL players will not make it or stay for long in Sotchi..I don`t know if feel like anything close to a sneeze will trigger the NHL to come back home…

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘FRANK MAHOVLICH APPEARANCE ON FRIDAY JANUARY 31ST'; http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/news/releases/?article_id=714

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…can’t wait to see and listen to Dick Irvin jawing with Stu & Dave next week

…Dick knows stuff behind the scenes that few do …at least from ‘the Golden Era’

…hope Stu & Dave will ask the ‘right’ questions :)

53. GL says:

I hope at least on trade day MB can make a move to improve the team for a long time. No more bandade moves. Good ones or nothing!!!

54. AliHaba says:

Heading to Montreal tomorrow for the family week-end. Taking my son and daughter and her boyfriend with me. Gonna be a blast!

• slapshot777 says:

Same here only wife and myself are coming in for the weekend taking in the weekend games and the game on Tuesday versus Calgary can’t wait.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• AliHaba says:

Wow! Three games. But i think by Sunday Super Bowl time I will have had enough.

• AliHaba says:

Our seats are on the players’ bench side on Saturday and behind the visitors’ net for two periods on Sunday.

• slapshot777 says:

We are up in the Club Desjardins for Saturday and Sunday and Tuesday in the corner of the visitors end in the reds

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• AliHaba says:

If you see someone with a home Habs’ jersey with #14 Plekanec on it, it might be me.

• Rats says:

Crazy!! I’m flying in tomorrow night for 3 games with my son. Saturday behind montreal players bench and Sunday behind visiting teams end.

55. SteverenO says:

How many Canadiens have lined up on the left wing with Plekanec and Gionta this season (counting only those that have played at least 30 minutes)?

a) 2 to 3
    b) 4 to 5
    c) 6 to 7
    d) 8 or more

Give up? the answer along with each players production can be found here:

Comments welcome!

regards,

Steve O.

56. Habs Fans!! Do you think Andre Markov being in a Habs uniform next season?

57. Habfan10912 says:

Anyone know or hear from Bill, Clay or Zepfan. I miss them.

58. BJ says:

Yesterday I suggested a Habs-Washington trade Markov for Erskine, Wilson and a second. It certainly adress size and more toughness.

• Grimmly says:

I cant see a team thinking Markov as a rental would get them into the playoffs, and from the Habs perspective, Montreal losing Markov would solidify them NOT making the playoffs

• Hobie Hansen says:

What? I don’t think the purpose of obtaining Markov would be to get a team in the playoffs but rather help their PP in the playoffs.

Would you rather not trade Markov, make the playoffs and lose in the first round or trade Markov, miss the playoffs and get a 1st round pick or a good young player back?

• Marc10 says:

If we’re not resigning Markov, than we have to trade him. Same with Diaz (if we can get anything for him), and Gio.

Not resigning and worth something… we deal for prospects and/or picks at the deadline.

That’s the big call MB has to make. If we’re yet again in a position to make the playoffs with little hope of going all the way, do you compromise those chances and the $12mil payday to the team’s coffers for one playoff series.

That’s a big call. Long term it’s a ‘yes’, but $12mil is hard to walk away from. It takes guts to pull that trigger, but imagine if we had done that with Souray, Koivu, and Komisarek. Look at the return we got from Rivet and AK46…

• Phil C says:

If the goal is to make as much money as possible every year, then keep your vets. If the goal is to win a championship, then it should be an easy call to dump them unless you are making a serious Cup run.

• Habfan10912 says:

Markov and Ovie are buddies as well.

• CJ says:

I would take that trade in a heart beat. Wilson and a second would be an amazing return.

• Habfan17 says:

After the Forsberg for Erat trade, The Capitals may be a bit gun shy!
        I could see them possibly doing it is they were solidly in the play off picture

Habfan17

• piper says:

If that trade was possible MB should do it now. I’d take Wilson straight up for Markov. Washington wouldn’t do it though.

59. Marc10 says:

To add to the MOAR bigger debate.

A nice overview… It would appear we are not alone in Hobbiton.

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice link, M10. So Detroit is also smurfish.

“Bends but won’t break”

• Marc10 says:

Yep. It does help when two of your players are bonafied top 6 forward game changers and they’re surrounded by a skilled and experienced core.

But yeah, not much size in the Datsyuk and Zetterberg replacements… I think they’ll suffer mightily unless they find some trees to surround their elves in this league of North-South giants.

60. Dunboyne Mike says:

I like Callaghan.
    (Don’t like Nash).
    But that looks a bit overpriced to me.

61. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi all.
    Only able to skim today, but lots of great exchanges. I thought this site was supposed to go to muck when the Habs were sucking. Seems like the opposite today (last night’s win notwithstanding).

Two brilliant laughs:
    Eller looking as uncomfortable “as Stephen Harper in a mosque”.

And Larue, posting his theory about how the competing cholesterols in poutine actually neutralize each other, thus creating what is in fact a very healthy dish.

Both first class!

Couldn’t watch the game, but it sounds like the best thing — apart from Price — was the lines. Also Murray having his best game as a Hab.

Boston will be tough — when are they not?

• Lafleurguy says:

All’s busy, so hi on his behalf.

“Bends but won’t break”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Well thank you.
        Got those figures you posted – thanks again. Should you go back and delete them now? I’m the mother in “A Christmas Story”: “You’ll shoot your eye out.”
        Hey, it will be weird!

• Lafleurguy says:

Accepts text messages, and at worst, I would have to change a number I’ve had since 1993. At best, and if time allows, I’ll treat you to a Bulldogs game where barring injury, Leblanc and Tinordi should be playing.

“Bends but won’t break”

• Lafleurguy says:

P.S. It appears you have DeNiro-like range in your performance arts skills.

“Bends but won’t break”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“Are YOU looking at me?”

(No seriously, choking up here. Slim odds because carless and under time constraints. But what an offer — would love it.)

62. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Habs were able to draft players like Max, de la Rose, Fucale etc., because they traded declining upcoming UFA veterans for 1st and 2nd round picks. People need to put emotion aside. There is no reason at all to carry a +35 multi-year contract with today’s CBA if you are not a Stanley Cup contender. It’s time to move on…

63. Habs Fans!! How about Andre Markov for Paul Stastny? Both are upcoming UFA’s for next season. Col is looking for a TOP 4 D.

• CJ says:

I think Markov nets a better return. I like Statsny, but where does he fit? He’s a great 1B centre, but we have Pleks. I’m all for him over DD, provided we could rid ourselves of DD in the offseason. That said, if Statsny wants to play in Montreal, we can sign him in the offseason as a UFA.

Markov could net us a solid prospect and pick. Depending on the market of course. Look at the returns for Murray and Kaberle the last few seasons. LA, a team with a need for a PP specialist would be a great fit.

64. Mavid says:

Sorry but I missed the talk about Poutine on the previous thread..stupid work is always getting in the way of fun stuff. When I went to the CT center I had a smoked meat poutine at Berts Bar..I tell you it was the BEST poutine I had ever eaten..now I am one of those who believes you should not mess with such a wonderful dish..however feeling brave I tried it..man oh man it was soooo goood

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice tip on something interesting to try at the CTC; thanks M. Smoked meat sounds like a good match, but I remember purists slapping down a honest inquiry as to where to get good pulled-pork poutine in Montreal at around the time of the Summit. Look at it this way, if I enjoy Montreal smoked meat in Burlington, how exquisite the chow-down experience when I get it in Montreal (after a Habs win).

“Bends but won’t break”

• What about Ryan O’Reilly (Col) at the trade deadline for Markov?

• monmick says:

Have you tried the Smoke’s poutine at the CTC? I was wondering whether it was any good…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Stimpy007 says:

Best thing at the ctc are the golden palace egg rolls, hands down!

Smoke meat on Pretzel bun are second! Get them in the box all the time.

65. HabsWin-nipeg says:

The problem with the poll about firing Therrien is the question is too limited. Firing Therrien is not THE answer to the Habs problems, but I believe it is ONE OF the answers. I also happen to believe there are serious roster holes that need to be addressed through a combination of trade/not re-signing some players, and bringing in new blood/elevating players from the AHL. I would like to see MB accelerate the process by identifying the core group that he will absolutely not trade, and test the market to see what he can get for anyone else. Whether slowly or quickly, our roster needs to change -I prefer quickly.

• JUST ME says:

That is (in my view) exactly where Bergevin is right now but people want actions NOW ! And now is the worst time to act. When you are down others will take advantage of your despair and when you are on top ,others know you won`t let go your best asset.

I think the core is there ,time now to make place for future veterans but this does not happen overnight. Other G.Ms are not stupid either and you will not get rid of your weaknesses against gold…

So as long as the team hovers close to the playoffs and unless a major injury arrives MB will take his time to make the best deal possible and he must keep in mind that other teams are in trouble or will be so ain`t no rushing things up either. I do expect some move maybe before Olympics but for sure before end of the season.

• Lafleurguy says:

I am in agreement, JM, but it shows how very few are genuinely in the rebuild-with-high-picks-philosophic-approach camp. Without Markov and Gionta for example, Habs would be at the level of the Flames/Sabres. Oilers are a enigma, and could suddenly rocket upwards very soon.

“Bends but won’t break”

• JUST ME says:

We have the kids in the farm team, they need time, we have our draft choices to keep and make every year so this season it is time to trade veterans to put a little different experience around a young core of promissing players.

Problem is that people would trade the future for results now wich is the wrong way to go. I know that the team is going through a rough patch and that we want the Cup but one must follow a plan.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Isn’t our problem that we all see the sense in this but involuntarily park our brains the minute we see the jersey hit the ice?

• zephyr says:

firing martin midway thru the season resulted in a disaster. I think mt is safe until season’s end. I’m sure mb has a core group he won’t trade. we can prob guess what it is. I’m sure every gm has a list.
      we have no depth at fwd so briere & gio will continue to play. we might be able to trade gio at the deadline but I don’t see him back next yr.. who knows with briere. it’s only a matter of time b4 pateryn & tinordi are up.
      it was nice to see eller firing on all cylinders last game. his line played well. be nice when chucky gets back on it. bournival was also flying.
      it’s not good to see markov get caught up ice a few times a game leading to primo scoring chances against us. people like to criticize murray but he’s been rock solid as a def dman.

• Cal says:

I guess Markov’s great pass to Patches for the tap in 3rd goal last night doesn’t count as good D?
        All Dmen get blown by. It’s happened to the very best like Robinson and Ray Bourque. Markov’s offensive upside makes up for those times when he gets bested.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Core Group: Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Beaulieu, Tinordi.

Not sure if I would ABSOLUTELY not trade anyone but those are the guys the team should build around. Currently.

• Marc10 says:

Eller is a bubble player. He’s developing into a nice Plekanec replacement. A responsible two-way center with some skill, but not really a top 6 forward. He’s bigger and more physical than Pleky, but he doesn’t have Pleky’s skills and high hockey IQ.

With Pleky and Markov, he’s definitely a piece you could move that would yield something of value if you wanted to do a true rebuild and bring on top 6 forward or top 4 Dman pieces via prospects. Those guys would be a decent rental for a contender looking for rental talent and depth for a true cup push.

66. johnnylarue says:

Props to the HI/O Show people.

Farber’s great, and I’m really looking forward to the Dick Irvin Jr. spot next week.

67. tuffguy69 says:

COACHES DON’T MAKE A DIFFERENCE? You’ve gotta be kidding me. A moronic statement. How about St. Louis and Hitchcock? Scotty Bowman leading three teams to Stanley Cups? Dallas Eakins stifling an offensively potent team? Or Therrien righting Martin’s errors?

The Habs aren’t a great team, and I think Therrien has got as much out of them as we can expect. A change of coach won’t make a bad team better, but a good coach can make a bad team play above its level. Case in point, last year’s Canadiens.

• HabsFansince49 says:

I agree. Pretty dumb statement by Farber. Follow his logic and all you need is a cardboard replica behind the bench.
      The problem with these telecasts is that they usually defend the status quo. I don’t think the Habs have a contending team. We can thank years of gross mismanagement for that. But good leadership often on and off the ice brings out the best in players and their play exceeds normal expectations.

• frontenac1 says:

??? That’s Weird. I thought Farber knew his stuff?

• Bripro says:

He did in fact point out a few exceptions.
      I would argue that he was referring to the majority of coaches not making that much of a difference.
      I doubt he would argue with you regarding Hithcock.
      It might have been perceived as a generalization, but I doubt that was his intent.
      And he’s far from moronic.
      When he left the Montreal Gazette to go work for Sports Illustrated, the quality of sports coverage took a hit.
      This with all due respect to most of the current sports writers.

• scotland says:

i turned it off right after he said “i will let you in on a little secret, changing the coach does not really make a difference”

lol. funny how many times arrogance translate into stupidity. not only is he Mr. Sports illustrated blowing wind, he does it while supposedly enlightening the rest of by “letting us in on a little secret folks, changing coaches does not make a difference”

only an idiot would think it will fix all the problems…….no, getting rid of a coach only fixes one problem……. a rather glaring poor coaching one.

68. J.J. of Turku says:

Where can I buy those supercool coffee mugs? Doesn’t matter how much it would cost…

Twitter: @jjturku

69. Danno says:

Turd

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

70. Hobie Hansen says:

So the Rangers are pretty much in the same boat as the Canadiens. They’re currently sitting in a playoff spot and have a couple of pretty big UFAs as of next year on their hands.

The Rangers have Girardi and Callahan, the Habs have Markov and Gionta. The Rangers have come out and said they will trade both their players at the deadline if they don’t reach deals. Both players are said to want big bucks. $5 million for Girardi and $6 million Callahan, both want long term deals. I think Girardi wants five years and Callahan wants seven!

A few thoughts, I’d take both of those players on the Habs in a heartbeat but would be nervous about the tail end of those contracts. I’d be a bit nervous about Callahan’s offensive output as well. For $6 million a season you better be scoring 25 goals!

Bergevin’s situation is a bit different. I don’t think he should resign either Gionta or Markov and trade both at the deadline and get something back.

• CJ says:

Agreed Hobie. Removing the emotional component it should be a very straightforward exercise here. Both are 35. Gionta is small and has had two major surgeries in the past two years. Markov has also had major surgeries and gets beat to the outside because he can no longer pivot. As much as I respect the contributions both have made to this organization, if we could turn these players into a second round pick and young players like we discussed earlier this week (Toffoli, Vey) then you simply have to make the move.

The lack of depth we see today is the result of our previous administration not recognizing the value of the pending UFA’s in 2009. This, in addition to all the draft picks we flipped for short term solutions (Tanguay, Schneider, Wiz) is the reason we don’t have a top tier talent waiting in the wings or on the roster.

• johnnylarue says:

I am also hedging in this direction.

As much as I’d like to see Markov retire as a Hab, if a contender were willing to part with a first round pick+ for him I’d be hard pressed to turn them down.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup. If Bergevin is as smart as people claim he is, he’ll move those two players and get something in return.

• johnnylarue says:

While I realize this isn’t the 80s anymore (tell that to my vintage synthesizer collection!), does the notion of paying someone $6 million/per for a measly 25 goals strike anyone else as completely preposterous?!

#hurtinforgoals

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

Love Markov, but if the return for him in trade would stock our young talent/prospect/draft pick larder (which I imagine it would) I would be in favour of trading him. His value on the Habs must be measured in the 1-3 year range maximum – his value in trade would be measured in a much longer term if MB plays it right.

• scotland says:

lol. “gionta a big UFA”

thats a laugh. nobody and i repeat nobody improves their team by finding a spot for this guy. he belongs with gomez

71. habcertain says: