HI/O Show: Nilan throws an elbow as Habs head to playoffs

The Canadiens are headed to the playoffs and it looks like the Tampa Bay Lightning will be their first-round opponents.

What kind of series will it be?

That’s one of the topics discussed on this week’s HI/O Show as former Canadien Chris Nilan joins columnist Jack Todd and sports editor/host Stu Cowan.

Other topics of discussion include:

Douglas Murray’s elbow that knocked out the Lightning’s Mike Kostka;

The extra days off coach Michel Therrien has given the Habs this season;

P.K. Subban’s limited ice time during the game in Tampa;

How Nilan would shut down Steven Stamkos;

A three-year contract for Andrei Markov?

Why Leafs fans are ‘the Charlie Brown of the NHL';

Can the Habs win the Cup?

(Photo by Sterling Agres/HI/O Show)

1. Jimmy9Toes says:

Halfway down the thread, someone suggests trading Eller to the Canucks for Kassian, I don’t think the Canucks would go for it straight up. I was thinking Eller and our second to the Isles for Matt Martin and the Isles second, which would be a pretty good pick.

2. Hobie Hansen says:

Random post…

They were showing the top 10 passes of recent memory on TSN last night. Lemiuex was there with a couple of dandies, Gretzky…

The player who caught my eye in today’s game was Patrick Kane. I’d seen some of these passes before but my goodness is this guy good. Outside of the Habs players, this guy has to be my favourite. The dude is slick.

• jimmy shaker says:

Definitely talented, but not my type of player. Seems to float around too much for me. Great, great, great offensively hands down. On the topic of passers, adam oates and craig janney were two that I can remember that were pure class. In today’s game, as much as I don’t like him, spezza can make some magic out there off the pass.

Shaker out!

• Donkey Hoat says:

I caught that as well; what a fine game it is when the thuggery and trapping are removed.

• jimmy shaker says:

How many more points would gretzky and lemieux have in today’s style NHL. Could they really have dominated more than they did? The logical answer would be yes….what would their point totals look like? But goalies and team structures are a lot better nowadays as well. It’s crazy to think about it!

Shaker out! I

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think they’d be 20-30 points above Crosby’s point totals. Still the best players in the world except the defence and goalteding is way better than before.

They’d get 130-140 points not close to 200 or above.

IMO…

• frontenac1 says:

No Instigator Rule back then,which helped Gretz.Mario didn’t need a minder. He took care of business himself.

• Hobie Hansen says:

LOL. Those were the days my friend. Before all the softies started complaining…

When we could crack a beer and enjoy a Scott Stevens hit or a Marty McSorley scrap.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Enjoy a Scott Stevens hit! Imjust watched his top 10 hits and EVERY SINGLE ONE was late.. Including Lindros. He is probably the worst hockey player in the HOF in my opinion.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

I just listened to the podcast. This is real high quality stuff. I love it. Is it just me, or does Stu Cowan look a bit like Keith Acton?

Two quick points. When talking about MT, the panel mentions how he has been able to learn and adjust during his second go-round in Montreal.

They also mention the possibility that Montreal might well be the only Canadian team in the playoffs. Let’s examine each team to see why that may well be true.

Montreal – Gutsy move drafting Price #5 and the luck of the Irish getting Subban half way through the second round gives Montreal major building blocks.
    Toronto – Maxed out their cap on the wrong players.
    Ottawa – Anderson’s performance last season gave the team a false sense of security. Not re-signing Alfredsson was a major blunder. Watching Anaheim pick 6th in the draft is going to hurt big time.
    Winnipeg – Let’s not forget that this team is the Atlanta Thrashers. Little has changed since the relocation took place. Pavelec has to go.
    Calgary – Missed the rebuild boat by about three years. Will be on the outside looking in for another three years.
    Vancouver – This team is Calgary Part 2. Torts has to go. So does Gillis. Inability to move the Sedin twins is a huge problem.
    Edmonton – In a perfect world, the tanking of the past five years should have set up the framework for another dynasty. Way too much inbreeding on the management side. It would take a lot of guts but I would fire everybody, from Lowe down to Eakins.

• jimmy shaker says:

I wanna see Nilan behind the habs bench, that would be epic! What ever happened to the corners of his mouth? Looks like the Joker from batman. Respect to Heath Leger.

Shaker out!

4. Luke says:

‘Mornin’, Folks.

5. Mavid says:

non hockey related..I honestly do not know what this world is coming too..who the hell does this kind of thing..it makes me so angry

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

6. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Crankshaft gets the call from the Principal today. My guess is 3 games.Maybe less if he explains that Fore-arm shimmy was to protect that Bolt. If he hit him with his full mass, that guy would have needed a stretcher for sure.

7. Black Horse says:

He is the walrus, goo goo goo joob goo goo goo joob
    Goo goo goo joob goo goo goo joob
    Goo gooooooooooo jooba jooba jooba jooba jooba jooba
    Jooba jooba
    Jooba jooba
    Jooba jooba

8. sCOTT1243 says:

Toews out for rest of year…ouch.

I take it the Habs will start Budaj on Friday and then go with Price on Saturday. A win on Saturday ends the regular season for the Habs.

10. Hobie Hansen says:

So I just just passed out a bunch of those pocket Kleenex things to all the Sens fans who have been shooting their mouths off over the last year in my office. Their blood was boiling.

I got the expected insults on how the Habs will be out in the 1st round anyways. I have a bet with another guy on tomorrow’s game and he’s saying the Sens will beat our ass. I told him I don’t really care, it’s just an exhibition game at this point cuz Montreal is in and Ottawa is out lol.

11. Cal says:

Another 15 minutes very well spent. My only question is this: where can we get one of those mugs?

12. jon514 says:

Anyone have any info about Martin Reway? Does his game translate easily to the pros? 15pts in 4 playoff games… You’ve got to be kidding!

• Marc10 says:

He impressed greatly out of training camp. Does things at an NHL speed. Just not big and strong enough to suit up… But if he bulks up, he’ll be in the League. Thing is… he’s on the small side.

• Loop_Garoo says:

He was 175 lbs when drafted, probably listed about the same now. He would need to put on 10-15lbs of muscle to be able to compete without getting thrown around like a rag doll. It’s not uncommon for people to do that, and if he can gain strength without slowing down or losing any of his dexterity, he has the skills.

13. Mavid says:

Lets finish them off tomorrow night.. here is to you walrus face.. I almost wish I was going..so I could throw something at him… :evil:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

14. DipsyDoodler says:

Magnus Nygren watch.

Farjestad won their quarterfinal series 4-0. Yesterday they won the first game of the semifinals against Vaxjo.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

…In Hamilton, Beaulieu is -17 in 53 games , Tinordi is -4 in 47 games and Morgan Ellis is +7 in 53 games

…is Morgan a sleeper ?

…the Swede, Thrower, Dietz, Didier, Bennet, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis …plus, P.K., Gorges, Emelin, and likely Markov for a couple more years

…somethings have got to give

• Timo says:

Don’t forget Franky Bouillon – 5 year extension

• SUMO says:

don’t forget Pateryn…….

• Loop_Garoo says:

Morgan Ellis was a really good, well rounded defenceman in junior, and will be that in the AHL as well, there have been questions though about whether his skills are quiet good enough to play in the NHL or not. I can see him taking spot duty on an NHL roster, maybe a number 7 spot, moving up to 6 or 5 when needed. He strikes me as a bit of a Davis Drewiski type, everything is really close to being good enough, but just not quite. You never know though, if he develops and is smart enough, he might make it work as a solid 4-6 type.

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Stu Cowan

…re the HIO Show …I eat this kind of stuff up Stu …wish it was an hour long :)

17. Habcouver says:

What’s the story on Paul Ranger and his Masterton nomination?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

18. Un Canadien errant says:

After the Wings’ win against the Boston Pukes, the Maple Leafs’ odds of making it in the playoffs drop 1.6 points, down to 6.9%. Their win against the Flames gave them a bit of an uptick, but let’s end the agony. Soon.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

19. CJ says:

Turning in folks. Thanks to everyone for engaging in the debates and conversation otherwise this evening. Pick it up again in 6 hours.

Ottawa lost, yippee! Yippee sounds a lot like Youppi. Just realized that…. Ok, I’m tired. Good night. Cheers, CJ

20. HabFan in Edmonton says:

The Ducks just can’t score on that tough Oiler D tonight. Only 14 shots in almost 2 full periods – WTF!

21. Un Canadien errant says:

Good article on RDS, Patrice Brisebois giving his take on the Nathan Beaulieu situation, and other youngsters like Mac Bennett and Dalton Thrower. It’s en français, but you can use Google Translate to get the gist.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• CJ says:

So, and please excuse my poor comprehension of the French language, sounds like Nate was confused with the decision. Told that when Bergevin called the coach he needed to hear that Nate was the best defenceman. Goes on to say that Nate is a great young player who will play in the NHL. If that’s truly it, I’m totally confused. There either has to be more, or I’m misremembering what I watched while Beaulieu was with the team in January. On many nights he was our best defender. He was not a liability and moved the puck with fluid skating and precise passes. Keep in mind he was on his wrong side, yet he was effective. He and PK, IMO, would be great together.

• ProHabs says:

Looks like for some reason management wanted to send this kid a message that they were in charge of him. Like he was making the NHL to soon and things were coming to easily for Beaulieu. Almost like they are playing head games with the guy. Oh, well, maybe this is their way of building Character in a player.

• Un Canadien errant says:

CJ, we’re all trying to read less than what is said. Mr. Brisebois, while trying to be diplomatic and protect internal affairs, allows that he didn’t take being sent down very well. That’s the polite way he puts it. That’s the polite way all the RDS guys have put it since we’ve been asking the question, why is he not recalled since the Olympic break.

We can’t deduce from it that he was disappointed, and carried on gamely. It was a more tangible, negative reaction. According to one poster, his game when the Bulldogs played in Montréal during the Olympic break was horrible. Yet we discount this report, poo-pooh the management team’s acumen when it comes to handling players, and conjure up a situation where Nathan is the victim, as opposed to the author of his fate.

Unless a leak develops, and we get told what happened, we’ll never find out. That the Canadiens didn’t call him back up should be telling though, in light of the struggles and injuries. Why don’t we trust our management team that they have their reasons.

Watching Nate play tonight, he’s a good-to-great talent, but he still has lots to learn in the AHL, it’s not like he’s wasting his time down there. Let’s let him develop, and not flip out about it.

• Ozmodiar says:

” he didn’t take being sent down very well. ”

Where does it say that?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Quand l’équipe a rappelé Tinordi après la pause, il l’a mal pris, a admis l’entraîneur attitré au développement des défenseurs de l’organisation. Il était frustré, il ne comprenait pas. Le jeune se cherchait. Il a connu quelques semaines difficiles, il ne jouait pas du bon hockey. Nous avons eu un bon entretien avec lui et il s’est ressaisi. C’est un bon ‘kid’, il va jouer un jour dans la Ligue nationale. Quand? Ça va dépendre de plusieurs choses, mais surtout de lui.

• Ozmodiar says:

He was already down in Hamilton when Tinordi was recalled, no?

The disappointment was with Tinordi being recalled instead of him.

Had Beaulieu pouted about being sent down, one could argue that it factored into the decision to recall Tinordi instead of him. However, seeing how Beau’s reaction was after the recall, it didn’t factor in at all.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re right, I’m misquoting the article, Patrice Brisebois states that it’s the Jarred recall that provoked the issue, not the initial send-down.

Having said that, the RDS wags were talking about his dissatisfaction about being sent down during the Olympic break, that pre-dated the Jarred recall, and so does the poor game in Montréal.

• Ozmodiar says:

I find it hard to believe that he’d complain about being sent down during the break.

Oh, those RDS guys. They do entertain, though. :)

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes, there’s more. The story starts with him being disappointed by not being recalled after the break. The missing (“more”) part is – why was Tinordi recalled instead of Beaulieu in the first place?

Based on the games I saw during the break, I think it’s because Tinordi outplayed him.

Folks claim the Habs have a hidden agenda in keeping Beau in Hamilton. If he’s better than Tinordi right now, I guess that agenda trumps winning hockey games.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sometimes I think short-term pain is fine if it leads to long-term gain.

There was a time when Luke Schenn and Carlo Colaiacovo helped the Leafs win a few games, but they might have been better served learning their craft in the minors.

• Ozmodiar says:

You’re saying that Beau is better off developing a bit more in the minors? If so, I agree…. but, don’t see how that would be short-term pain for the team.

Maybe you mean Beau’s short-term pain?

• Un Canadien errant says:

No, I’m saying we might win a few more games now with Nathan in our lineup, but that may not be the best path for him right now, so we take our lumps and lose a couple more games for the good of the team and the player long-term. Thus the short-term pain for us now, for everyone’s long-term gain.

• Ozmodiar says:

Ah, I see. Makes sense. I was thinking -> Short-term pain == playing the rook.

Yeah, you’re not alone in thinking they’d be better off right now with Beau in the line-up.

Me? I’d rather have Tinordi in there, but not by much.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think short-term pain goes both ways. A few seasons back, I wanted Jaroslav Spacek and Tomas Kaberle to sit, desperately so, so that his minutes be given to Alexei Emelin, who was in the pressbox for weeks on end, and to Raphaël Diaz. I didn’t care how steady the vets were (which they weren’t), I wanted the youths to learn the game instead of sitting. If we have them in the NHL, let them play, there’s no sense in them watching so Jaro Spacek can be pulverized by Mikhail Grabovski.

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing and helping to clarify. Again, I’m not reading too much into this because there is a significant language barrier on my part and secondly, and to which I agree, Breezer is playing the role of company man.

He will need to make the most of his opportunity next time it’s earned and learn from this setback.

• Habcouver says:

Thanks all for your takes.
      I hope Beaulieu puts all this drama behind him and dons the CH next season. I’m sure he’s not the first player to need an attitude adjustment.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

He’s young and he’s more immature than many – many star hockey players are (and he’s shown enough to say that’s true). He seems to have gone on a pout. Fair enough. He’ll grow up. Montreal’s a tempting town and the team has lost some good talent to the cheers. It appears to me that Beaulieu is currently a spoiled young man with dynamite skills who needs to slow down and grow up a little. Immaturity is a passing thing, and unless he’s not very bright, he’ll get over it and be solid on D for years to come. Remember Latendresse?
      He’s confused. He’s special and a team mate with a different skill set gets called up ahead of him. But he’s special and why can’t he get called up? His reaction would appear to have been a bit of a sulk. There’s nothing confusing about that – it’s predictable, commonly observed teenaged drama boy stuff. It means he wasn’t ready between the ears. Give him time to figure out cause and effect and we’ll have a good defenceman.

22. Sportfan says:

DD in the Masterton Trophey race, what’s the criteria for that trophy again?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Wings win and Turds lose. I say it’s a pretty good night.

24. Ozmodiar says:

Dat Nyquist goal!!

Chara – :oops:

25. AceTen says:

Great episode guys! I’m glad to see people are finally starting to come around and realize Markov deserves a 3 year contract. I’m sorry but trading him at the deadline for picks like many people on here were suggesting would have been the stupidest thing we could have done.

• HabsPooch says:

Depends on what would have come back to us….obviously nothing much or Bergevin might have pulled the trade.

• CJ says:

Fair enough. Honestly, what has Markov done since the trade deadline that would validate a three year extension? He will be turning 36 in December and is not likely to get better.

From the comfort of my couch, I’ve seen two complete games since the trade deadline (ducks and second bruins game). Otherwise, I see a guy who still makes an excellent first pass, is capable on the PK, is a good set up man on the PP, but who makes a lot of mistakes and no longer has the speed or mobility to course correct.

I’m not suggesting we should have given him away for nothing, but if we enter into a 3-4 year deal at $6 million plus per season I think we will be making a mistake. IMO, the best case scenario is somewhere in the middle. Either a 1-2 year extension, or move him for a strong younger player who could address another deficiency.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I would agree, no way he should be getting 3-4 years at 6 million per year. However he is a UFA and has some leverage now. I think the decision should have been made 1 way or the other at the trade deadline.

• CJ says:

Agree. That was the time to fish or cut bait. Now Markov has leverage as we won’t get anything more than maybe a third to fifth rounder for his rights. You almost have to sign him now. I just hope we don’t lose in the first round otherwise there will be a lot of should have, could have, would have going on.

26. Ozmodiar says:

With piqued curiosity, I traveled back in time to the previous thread to check out Christopher’s ‘exploitation’ C post.

It was an excellent post, IMO. You don’t have to be a ‘stats’ guy to appreciate it either.

27. jimmy shaker says:

Okay, should we be worried a little bit about the wings? If we lose on friday and they beat buffalo and then come into town and beat the boys , they will have 90 points and a game in hand. Yikes. Enough of that, beat the sens and all is well! Dress Parros, Neil is going to be gooning it up all over the place.

Shaker out!

28. Un Canadien errant says:

Hamilton Bulldogs 4, Oklahoma City Barons 5 (SO)

I watched the game on a jumpy stream, with an Oklahoma City play-by-play team calling the action, and I caught up to it a little into the second period, but here are some observations.

1) Nathan Beaulieu has another gear compared to everyone else, his skating is as smooth and effortless as ever. Early in the second, skating in on a three-on-one, he makes a good pass to Gabriel Dumont for a clean shot on goal, and then gets back on defence and breaks up a two-on-one going the other way.

2) Louis Leblanc’s skating has a dog-in-the-bowling-alley quality, like Dale Weise or Michaël Bournival. It’s not always focused or instantly productive, but it pressures defenders into rushing their plays.

3) Robert Mayer was in nets, the OKC play-by-play man spoke of the Bulldogs’ strength in nets, with Devan Dubnyk and AHL All-Star Dustin Tokarski. He mentions that Head Coach Stéphane Lefebvre is playing it as a ‘win and stay in’ situation for his goalies until the end of the season.

In the third, Mr. Mayer made a boneheaded clearing pass that almost ended up in his own net, he had to scramble back in his crease and sprawl to make the save. Then he did it again. He’s creative in how he creates business for himself, I’ve got to give him that.

4) Speaking of coaching, apparently the Bulldogs received two too-many men penalties during the game. I’ve mentioned before I thought that maybe the relatively young staff needed an experienced assistant coach to help out.

5) Brady Vail served the second too-many men penalty, which was odd since he’s being groomed as a checking specialist, but I guess it makes sense to not use him to kill penalties on his first AHL game.

6) Brady Vail, Connor Crisp and Nick Tarnarsky were playing together on the fourth line in the second period. In the third, Louis Leblanc played on right wing with the two rookies. It was nice to see them skating together.

7) Morgan Ellis and Drew Schiestel, both right-handed defencemen, were playing together on the same pairing. With Dalton Thrower, another rightie, joining the team next season, we’ll have a glut of righties, and may have this odd situation of righties playing on the left occur even more often.

Meanwhile, Davis Drewiske and Nathan, two lefties, are on another pairing.

8) Sven Andrighetto ties it up at 3-3 early in the third, on a wrist shot off the rush, assisted by Greg Pateryn. Red #27 was darting all over the ice the whole game.

9) Gabriel Dumont scores to make it 4-3, he created the goal off the rush, then converted on the goalmouth scramble. Earlier in the game, he stood up to Ben Eager after a whistle, wanting to get even for a hit he didn’t like. We need to perform a sack-ectomy on him and graft it on René Bourque.

10) Greg Pateryn and Joël Bouchard bungle a two-on-two and it ends up in their net, 4-4. The game goes into overtime.

11) Davis Drewiske is not as good as you might expect, seeing as he’s spent a few seasons in the NHL. You’d want him to stand out a little more.

12) Andrighetto and Holland look good during four-on-four play, they can really use the open ice.

13) The Barons win in seven rounds in the shootout, 2-1. Andrighetto scores, Gabriel Dumont, Patrick Holland, Nathan Beaulieu, Mike Blunden, Martin St. Pierre and Christian Thomas miss.

Robert Mayer did his job in the shootout, the shooters didn’t for the Bulldogs.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• HabsPooch says:

So Leblanc plays on the fourth line….wow has he fallen.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not necessarily. He was put on with the kids to see what they can do, it felt like. At the time, the ‘Dogs were down 3-2, and Sylvain Lefebvre was trying to find a spark. They looked good skating together, but didn’t get close to scoring or do anything concrete. By that point, they weren’t necessarily a fourth-line, it was more like they were double-shifting Louis, and had removed Nick Tarnasky to create offence.

It seemed that Louis was the third-best forward, after Gabriel Dumont, and Sven Andrighetto.

• HabsPooch says:

Just like Beaulieu, I think Leblanc would play better in the NHL than the AHL. I remember when he was up a few years ago and played half a season, I thought for sure he’d be an NHL regular…perhaps a perfect fit on the third line right wing…then injuries hampered his progress and he’s never recovered. He also had a very good training camp if I recall back in September…it’s too bad. A change of scenery might be the answer.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thank you for the summary! Much appreciated.

• Ozmodiar says:

” I watched the game on a jumpy stream, with an Oklahoma City play-by-play team calling the action, … ”

You’re a trooper!! The ‘fan of the day’ award goes to you, sir!

• ProHabs says:

thanks for report. Point number 2 – it is nice to read something good about Louis Leblanc.

• HabsPooch says:

Maybe size being a factor? I really thought Dumont would have been a great fourth line centre for the Habs. He was given a few shots but just didn’t pan out…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Everything Michaël Bournival is doing for the Canadiens this year, I thought Gabriel Dumont would be the guy doing that, but he got hurt in camp and couldn’t win a job. I thought he’d platoon as the fourth-line centre with Ryan White.

3) You’ll notice that Gabriel Dumont is not listed among the forwards in the most recent ‘roster’, and that’s because we have a hunch that he’ll start the season in Montréal. Local kid, can play a lot of different roles, some snarl to his game, a coach’s favourite, we think he’ll win a spot to centre the fourth line.

He’s eligible for waivers, so next season we might not be able to sneak him off to the AHL after camp.

• Habcouver says:

Thanks for your observations. :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• SUMO says:

Thanks for the analysis Normand. Something else to add about Dumont is he is very strong on face-offs. I remember when he was platooning on the 4th line how he almost always had a winning face-off %

Not sure if there will be a fit with the Habs down the road but he could be a good pick up for another team looking for a gritty, 4th-liner who can win face-offs.

29. HabsPooch says:

I hope the Bruins are in a foul mood tomorrow and destroy the Leafs’ hopes once and for all!

30. Habs4LifeInTO says:

OKC wins… sorry I got knocked off!

31. Habs4LifeInTO says:

save on st pierre….

32. HabFan in Edmonton says:

The Bruins will be ticked after blowing a 3rd period lead. I feel sorry for who they play tomorrow night. Oh wait ….

33. Habs4LifeInTO says:

for the win st pierre…

34. Habs4LifeInTO says:

6th shooter OKC Miller…save..

35. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Tied at 1..here comes Mike Blunden…save…

36. Habs4LifeInTO says:

OKC has to score…scores….

37. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Nate Beaulieu…save…

38. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Chase OKC…save…

39. Habs4LifeInTO says:

dogs Holland….save

40. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Ewanyk…OKC…Saves…

41. Habs4LifeInTO says:

sven andrighetto..scores!

42. Habs4LifeInTO says:

OKC Hunt a Dman..blcker save.

43. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Dumont …misses the net

44. Habs4LifeInTO says:

OKC Combs …save!

45. Habs4LifeInTO says:

SO coming…

46. ProHabs says:

What would you guys think of in the summer the Habs trading Eller to the Canucks for Zack Kassian.

Almost the same age, both underachieving and the Nucks get a center to perhaps replace Kesler who will be traded while the Habs get a big physical winger with some upside.

• CJ says:

It’s not a bad deal. My only concern is we are trading Eller at his lowest value. Do we give him one more shot next season, or was this the end of the road?

Personally, and I’m not necessarily suggesting Eller, I believe there will be some big changes this offseason. More so if we don’t advance past the first round.

• The_Truth says:

I would definitely do it. But would the ‘Nucks? Eller could never come close to replacing Kessler.

They Have Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk (plays Wing & Center) in the pipeline, all likely to be a fair amount better than Eller.

I have high hopes for De La Rose to eventually replace Eller. He really impressed me at the world juniors.

The question is, is it too early to trade Eller, or do we give him one more year? Depends on the return I guess. With Kassian, I think we get a good young player (big and mean), who has probably more upside than Eller.

• HabsPooch says:

I suggested that exact trade a few months ago. Second or third line winger and would replace Gionta and give us a much needed power forward on the right side.

I’m sold. Cheers, CJ

• ProHabs says:

DIdn’t see that Pooch. Sorry for stealing your trade. I agree CJ that Ellers value might be at a low point. I had high hopes for him and I thought this year was the year, especially with his start to the season, but those 2 penalties yesterday, both 200 ft. from his net, in the words of Benoit Brunet, oy yoi yoi.

47. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Must be my age but I like to listen to play by play over the radio! ! minute left in OT..

48. Habcouver says:

The Joe has a lot of empty seats.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

49. Habs4LifeInTO says:

OKC 35 shots to 26 for Hamilton…Mayer played Tokarski is a healthy scratch..back-up is Dubnyk. Play by play guy talked about solid depth in net for the Dogs..Tokarski AHL AllStar/ Dubnyk was an NHL starter and Mayer…

50. The Jackal says:

The Red Wings are such a good team even with all their injuries and passing of the torch in key positions. Just so well coached, very good drafting and signings, just very well run overall. This is what the Habs need to be.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

51. Habs4LifeInTO says:

OT …

52. PrashadHabs says:

Hopefully, one day Andrighetto or Reway turn out like Nyquist of Detroit.

• CJ says:

Absolutely! We should all hope.

• The_Truth says:

Nyquist is 24 years old and only now getting a solid shot because of injuries. A lesson for impatient Habs fans on bringing along young players slowly and when ready. Those wanting Chucky as a #1 center at 20 years old, take notice.

MT and his staff are protecting their young players and grooming them, not ruining them as some say.

• HabsPooch says:

If that’s the case, Galchenyuk should not have been on the team last year and instead training for his drafted position in the juniors. The kid looks like he’s lost his confidence.

53. The Jackal says:

Nyquist is such an awesome player!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

54. HabsPooch says:

Wings lead 3-2! Under six minutes to go

55. Habcouver says:

Wings pull ahead 3-2.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

56. Habs4LifeInTO says:

I believe it is 4-4 now…I stepped away for a sec…

57. Habs4LifeInTO says:

4-3 dogs…Dumont..

24 cups and counting….

Jays going to blow a great start from Buerhle?

59. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Play by play guy loves the goal. Calls it a snipe and something that had been missing from the Dogs recently….

60. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
    Gotta chuckle.
    Watching Carlyle talking to the media, saying ‘we got through it’.
    Like a single win is ‘through it’.
    When they lose their next game, they’re ‘back in it’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Sven Andrighetto scores…snapper…3-3.

62. frontenac1 says:

Wings hanging in 1-1

63. CJ says:

I think I’ve made it pretty clear that I can’t stand Ottawa. That said, I’d swap their defence for ours in a heart beat. Methot, Gryba, Karlsson, Weircoch, Ceci vs our top five, PK, Bouillion, Markov, Emelin, Murray.

Thoughts?

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I can’t say that I follow Ottawa closely enough to give an intelligent reply. I think Karlsson is the best puck handling defenceman on the planet but really don’t know enough about the rest.

• CJ says:

Methot, at 27 is the oldest. Karlsson is the smallest, but the slickest and the most offensively gifted. He is brutal defensively, but does things offensively I’ve not seen since Coffey. Karlsson aside they are all big and mobile. Ceci is going to be a good one. 27, 25, 23, 22, 20 years old. 6’2″ to 6’5″. Cowen is the sixth. He is young and big, but is having a tough year. Phillips rounds out the group and is the elder statesman.

• The Jackal says:

They do have some good young D guys, but I think our D will be better when our young guys make it.
          PK > Karlsson – no question about it.
          Markov is the best vet out of that group.
          The other young guys – Cowen and Ceci are good but I think Tinner, Beaulieu, and Emelin edge the group on the whole.

I understand your criticisms about PK’s game this season, but this is definitely an aberration of a season for him. He is not as confident in his game this year and it is probably a combination of the Olympics, PK trying to do too much at times, his D partner situation, and possibly MT.

The knocks on PK were the same as when he was holding out, and it’s pretty much the same as when any player is having a slump or off year – they are just not as good as they “used to be” or their value had previously been inflated.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CJ says:

No question our defence will be better when (if) we graduate some of our younger players. I don’t see a future for Pateryn. There simply won’t be room and he will want to sign elsewhere when he graduates to UFA status.

Maybe we do a complete about face and try two guys under 24 next year at the same time with Tinordi and Beaulieu. Maybe our defence will be, PK, Marky, Emelin, Gorges, Weaver, Tinordi. I don’t know.

• scamorza says:

A good group but overall one of their problems has been the GAG so was it Anderson not standing on his head or others faltering? karlsson a great offensive D but in his zone… And Cowan has regressed this year no.? Don’t see as many games as you but have to agree that Ceci looks really good and Methot always seems to play the habs well.

So will you be having sweet dreams after tonight’s result???!!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• CJ says:

Firstly, yes, very sweet dreams! Couldn’t be happier.

A lot of the defensive zone issues surround the entire five man unit having no cohesion. Wingers don’t support the defenders. Spezza is very weak defensively. He and Karlsson are liabilities when on the ice together. Chances are they will either create a goal for or against, but something is going to happen.

Goaltending has been a major weakness this year. Yes, Cowan is having a very tough year. Despite the Senators struggles, Gryba, Weircoch, Methot and Ceci are a combined plus 8.

Again, very young, very big, mean, skilled, and cheap.

• HabsPooch says:

How about if it were Subban, Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu, and Tinordi….

• shiram says:

Gorges might be hurt, but for such a question I’d include him over one of Bouillon or Murray.

• Frozen Village says:

I see you left out Phillips and Cowen. I like Ottawa on paper all the way down to Binghamton. Like Ceci over Georges too.

I do like though our blue line down to Hamilton and across the pond in Sweden.

Our blue line would be more interesting if our coach could coach for more than just today, his methods of stewarding youth, makes the old school vomit in its own mouth.

Ottawa is much better than they showed this year. Can’t help but think Melnyk, is behind the low balling of Alfredsson, they miss him big time, bad karma. Sorry for the tangent CJ, as you write it I agree, cheers

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing. I agree with your post. Ottawa is young and would be better if Melnyk would back off. I’m being somewhat opportunistic, but why do other teams play younger players, not just the future but the present, yet we cling to the past?

• Frozen Village says:

I think the notion that we need to insulate the youth from the beast of Montreal itself?

Brave it I say

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

• CJ says:

Agreed. We don’t even trust the Norris trophy winner to play the PK. Heck even Karlsson is on the PK in Ottawa and he’s not a half, third or even a quarter of the defender that PK is.

And, it sounds like it’s a certainty that we are bringing back Markov. At various times there has been a push to resign Murray and Weaver. With Emelin and Gorges under contract and PK likely to get signed, there is almost no room for younger players to develop.

• The_Truth says:

There is room next season on the bottom pairing, even if a Murray or Weaver is resigned. If Tinordi or Beaulieu prove they are ready and make the most of their ice time, they will force the depth guys to the pressbox. Having 7-8 dmen is a good thing for competition.

Nothing wrong with bringing guys along slowly. Especially defencemen.

• CJ says:

Depth is good. Can’t argue that. It just appears that one of Pateryn, Tinordi or Beaulieu will have no chance, no matter what they do.

IMO, one of the steadiest players in Hamilton following an unsteady start has been Morgan Ellis. Since December, his game has grown leaps and bounds.

• The_Truth says:

You coach to win the next game. This is the NHL not a developmental league. When a young Dman (or forward) proves he should overtake someone else to make your chances of winning better, you make that move. Until then, you don’t.

That is how it is for any playoff team. You look at Subban when he came in, Gally, Chucky, Bournival. When guys prove they are ready, they play. You don’t just guess and hope. This is the NHL and there is a lot riding on the results

• Frozen Village says:

Agreed. Winning.

But a professional staff puts young players in situations to succeed. Not just his vets.

How many brain farts have the vets on this team made this year, and are admonished. Tinordi is ready, Beaulieu maybe, still think he has coachability issues.

Coaching by gesture for the most part, isn’t the whole ball of wax anymore.

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

• CJ says:

I agree. Therien’s job is to win. Setting that aside, and again, I agree fully, my point is simply that Ottawa has a better defence than we do. It’s better today, and should be significantly better in the years ahead.

It’s not yet been mentioned, but look at the salaries too. Ottawa’s defence cost less than half the price we pay our defenders. Of course, that will be adjusted going forward, but for the next few years Ottawa will be getting excellent value.

• The_Truth says:

I think I agree with you on Ottawa’s D vs the Habs. For me, Karlsson is unbelievable. He is not doing well defensively this year, but past years hasn’t been so bad. Definitely good enough to balance out his all world playmaking skills.

• CJ says:

Agreed. It frustrates me. Young, big, mean and cheap. Almost the opposite of what we have. Older, smaller, passive and expensive. If Markov gets $6 million plus and PK gets $8 million plus, we will have one of, if not the most expensive defences in the league. Off the top of my head I can’t think of another team who has more money tied up in their defencemen.

• Ozmodiar says:

Your list of the Hab’s top 5 includes Bouillon and Murray. These are just depth guys.

PK, Markov, Emelin, Gorges, Weaver

That’s the top 5.

• Habs1962 says:

I normally agree with your posts CJ, but I would take our D group ahead of sens. The standings and the numbers give our D the edge, however I recognise out goaltending is superior this year.
      I think Karlson is very poor defencively and plays too many minutes and teams have learned to exploit his side defencively. They will never win with him as the lead D man. Our top 4 of PK, Markov, Gorges, Emelin.. I believe are superior to their top 4. IMO
      Our 5 /6 guys compare well to theirs and our 3 or 4 guys in the AHL are going to be better than Cowan / Ceci IMO

• CJ says:

Fair dues. I respect that. Always room for different opinions. Nice to debate the issues and I like your post. It’s a very subjective debate.

Any consideration to salary? If it was even close, salary could be a determining factor. Looking ahead, with PK and Markov set to sign new deals we will have a significantly more expensive group. As it stands today we are about twice as expensive.

I think Ceci is going to be a steady pro. Size and skill. Weircoch is also very underrated. Very big and mobile. Karlsson at 6′ is the smallest, than there is a big jump as everyone else is either 6’3″ or 6’5″. It’s not just the size, but the combination of size, skill, skating, aggression, youth and costs that tip the scale IMO.

Again, lots of room for debate and I respect your opinion. Cheers, CJ

• Habs1962 says:

yes, thanks… RE: $ .. we have more money to spend so that is a good thing. Don’t see Melynk having any succes with that team unless he or a partner decide to spend some money.
          Ceci does look like the real deal.
          I don’t watch them much so don’t know much about weircoch and Gyrba?? will get a better look Friday night.. hopefully with our guys blowing past them !)) I dislike much of the attitude of announcers, fans and media so don’t watch much unless the Habs are playing them.
          appreciate your thoughts and your general dislike of them !
          ha!

64. 24AW says:

I believe The Habs can beat Tampa in a series if they show up every game, should they show up like last night, they’ll be gone in 5 or 6 games …

65. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Crap 3-2 OKC….

66. Mattyleg says:

This might be my favourite CBC headline of all time:

“Rob Ford votes against honouring Mandela, congratulating Olympians”

Please stay Mayor forever, Rob.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ozmodiar says:

Really? Sooo many “Rob Ford” headlines to choose from. How did you decide?

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Matty. Weird city that Hogtown. When I lived up there we had a Mayor named Tiny Perfect, then Crazy Mel Lastman. Never a dull moment.My current mayor up here in the sticks plows my driveway and snuffs the beavers on my lake.Great guy. Saludos!

@habsfan0. Would this be worst case scenario for Bills fans?

• habsfan0 says:

Before Donald Trump attempts to buy the Buffalo Bills, I will have to examine his balance sheet.
      I will have to ascertain if his net worth is in fact more genuine than the atrocity that sits atop his head.

68. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Only 77% of respondents to the poll (so far) picking the Habs to prevail in a series over the Lightning. C’mon, folks, once you’re in the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen! 100% should believe that the Habs could win the series!

69. CJ says:

20 more minutes Islanders, 20 more minutes….. Please!

70. Habcouver says:

So true with PK’s game tailing off of late.
    His defense partners have not given him the ability nor confidence to be… well, PK.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• habsfan0 says:

Both PK and Eller’s confidence seem to have gone downhill this year.
      What’s the common denominator?

Both play hockey for a living and are young players in a men’s league?

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

That’s two denominators. :)

• Habcouver says:

You can have two common denominators…. or does my C+ in high school math fail me? :D

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
            Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

C+! Wish I had sat beside you in class, I copied off a guy with a D average. Granted it was summer school.

• 24AW says:

same as every other year with the Habs, he’s a 4th liner. if the Habs want to do better next year try and get a 20 goal scorer for him.
        if the Habs can sign Vanek and pick up a couple of 20 goal scores, they’ll be right up there fighting for 1st place in the Eastern conference …

• The_Truth says:

Both were overevaluated by small sample sizes of play.

Both guys had pretty big years in the lockout shortened season, but are pretty much playing up to the level they have shown outside of that.

PK being a very good defenceman, but not all world in his own end, and Eller being a 3rd line grinder with limited offense

71. Mattyleg says:

Hey Christophor, -hope you read this-

Sorry for making fun of ‘exploitation centremen’.

I just have problems with this kind of stats-based, analytical approach to hockey, and I find the terminology a bit self-important.

It’s not so much you as current trends that elicit this response from me.

Call me a boring old fart if you want, I probably deserve it, but don’t take offense, it’s nothing personal, you write well and express your thoughts well, and I’m just messin’ around a bit.

…and I don’t respond to your posts because I don’t get most of the things you’re talking about, and I’m happy in my ignorance!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• punkster says:

Hey Christopher…I can attest to the fact that Matty is a boring old fart…though not as old, or as boring as me it seems.

You see, I got into a bit of a minor scrap on the last thread for just the opposite…asking for more facts to support someone’s theory.

I want too many facts, Matty ignores them…couple of boring old farts right here.

And get the heck off my lawn, ya young whippersnappers.

Release the Subbang!!!

72. Habs4LifeInTO says:

2-1 Bulldogs…Holland just scored. As reported earlier by many, Vail (player number #17)and Crisp (player number 48) are in the line-up…Kind of nice to hear their names on the game play by play…

73. Dr.Rex says:

Solid show Stu!

74. jimmy shaker says:

First runner up!

shaker out!

75. JohnBellyful says:

First!
    [dances in circles, blowing kisses, eyes all lit up. Looks around, sees nobody, frowns, slouches away, red-faced, and disappears off the screen]

76. Habfan10912 says:

Morning John. You’re a little more harsh then I but essentially the fan in me wanted to see more of Nathan B and Tinordi and even Pateryn.

This organization hasn’t always done a good job of player development in the past. Bergevin has surrounded himself with people who’s resume includes player development as a high skill. Bergevin himself has been quoted as saying that he’s never seen a player hurt by being called up too late.

I guess I’m still on the fence and yield to the experts here but as a fan…….

BTW – I liked the “leaking” reference.
    CHeers

77. JUST ME says:

Totally disagree. It has been proven time and time again by organizations that keep their kids in the minors until they are satisfied and ready that this procedure is for the player`s and the team`s own goods on the long term.

In the case of D-men it`s even more important. I just do not understand what is so difficult to get here. Those are kids,immature and not ready for prime time hockey. Furthermore as much as you like to single our Montreal as the only guilty organization, it still is the toughest circus to get thrown into whatever age and/or skills you have. So you basically want them to live through their growing pains and make their mistakes in a market that does not allow such weaknesses ?
    It`s as if we have never been through that phase in betwen teenage and adulthood. Their level of confidence in themselves is not as it will be once they are experienced and an error in the majors is a totally different ball game given that the NHL is not kindergarden and that the opponent will devour you …The NHL in that case is not the place to be for everyone.

I think that this new management has made it possible for youngsters to have their place if they deserve it. Subban,Gallagher,Galchenyuk,Bournival and yes at times Tinordi and Beaulieu but this is not a given job. One has to deserve the spot and take it step by step. I for one would rather see those guys stay in Hamilton 2 or 3 years if needed but understand that given the situation of empryness in the organization, some will graduate faster than others until we can build up a decent pool of future habs.

78. Maritime Ronn says:

That’s a funny comment about Boston.
    They trade away the number 5 and 6 leading scorers in the Nhl this year and guess what? They’ve won a Cup- got to a Cup final- and have the best record in in the NHL this year and will be solid for years to come all the while, managing a salary cap
    Of course they don’t know what they’re doing.

As for Subban, he isn’t part of the Norris conversation this year in an 82 game schedule. A great offensive talent that clearly lacks awareness and hockey smarts in his own end.
    With a past 33 game performance of 3 goals Minus-14,, here’s wondering if the habs are thinking his ceiling isn’t much more than Karlsson lite.

79. CJ says:

Regarding Subban, and I agree with your point, how did we get to a $8 – $9 million a year deal? I see people throwing around those figures all the time, yet I don’t see it. As I said last night, there is not one, not ONE, defenceman in the NHL with a cap hit equal to or greater than $8 million annually. PK, IMO, and I know it’s not popluar, is not as good overall as Pietrangelo. He might end up better, but based on his play this season he is not there yet. Pietrangelo signed this year, long term, for $6.5 million. I’m not so sure that an PK is worth an extra $2 million a year. Again, I know that I am in the minority, but wathcing a lot of games, PK’s play has fallen off tremendously this season.

80. CJ says:

Good morning. You make some great points. The model and process you have identified is the exact process that Detroit has used, with success. What has helped Detroit is that they graduate players, when ready, but in the interim their old guard is still effective.

They play a very specific system and are coached by, IMO, the best hockey coach in the game today. Add in Ken Holland and you have a recipe for success.

Contrast this with Boston, who brings up players with either no NHL experience, or are rookies. They find a way to make it work. Despite having a 19 year old Hamilton and Torey Krug with one game of NHL experience, they went to the Stanley Cup final last year.

Both systems can work and neither process should be dismissed. I think the common theme is the GM and coach. Both GM’s are among the best in the business. They identify talent and place them in positions to succeed. They bring Hamilton up and immediately pair him with Chara. We bring up Tinordi or Beauliau and immediately pair them with Frankie or Murray. With all due respect, that is a major difference. Ottawa did the same thing with 19 year old Ceci this season. He is brought up and paired with Methot. You need to put your players in a position to succeed. I don’t think Montreal has done a good job of that, which is why we continue to have issues on defence, at game 77.