HI/O Show: Nilan returns from ‘upper-body’ injury

Former Canadien Chris Nilan, recovered from an upper-body injury (dental surgery), returns as the guest on this week’s HI/O Show on The Gazette’s hockeyinsideout.com website, joining columnist Dave Stubbs and sports editor/host Stu Cowan.

The main topic of conversation is the Canadiens’ four-game sweep of the Tampa Bay Lightning in their first-round playoff series and how they pulled it off.

Other topics discussed include:

The impact anthem singer Ginette Reno had or didn’t have on the Canadiens.

Will the long rest before the second round help or hurt the Habs?

What happened with Rene Bourque?

The four set lines and depth the Canadiens now enjoy.

Who should the Habs want to meet in the next round: Boston or Detroit?

Ron MacLean’s comments about French referees at the Bell Centre.

What play was more dirty: Matt Cooke’s knee or Milan Lucic’s spear?

(Photo by Sterling Agres / HI/O Show)

1. johnnylarue says:

Know what scares me about meeting the BeeJays in the third round (i.e. once we’ve disposed of Boston)?

R. F. J. Umberger.

Was there any other scenario under which Habs would play a team other than the Bruins-Wings winner?

3. Haberoooo13 says:

I’ve watched some of the Pit-Cbus and Dal-Ana game…not stellar goaltending

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Just A Guy says:

Just saw the replays from the 4 goals by Dallas, CBC is painting them as beautiful shots, but some of them should have been saves. I also watched with a bit of schadenfreude as Fleury let in that overtime softie. Then again goalie Bob was a bit of a sieve in the 1st.

Rask on the other hand….

Sucks against the habs lol.

Oh F. MAF was so bad on that OT goal. Man, he sucks. He needs Michael Therrien Personal Development Program and pronto. Good BJs!!!

5. monmick says:

Ugly goal. Good call Johnny…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

6. Mattyleg says:

Holy BJs.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. Captain aHab says:

Wow was Fleury ever bad on that…………….

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

8. johnnylarue says:

Woooooooooot!

Never count out MAF POWER!

9. Prop says:

Fleury SUCKS!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

10. AceMagnum says:

Big wet sloppy BJs!!!

11. Haberoooo13 says:

CBUS

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

12. CharlieHodgeFan says:

You know who isn’t mentioned in the MVP poll, and whom I wouldn’t have picked first, but would have put top three?

That guy there, you know, must I say his name, Mich, ach, okay. I can do it.

Michel Therrien.

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I can’t believe what I am reading. We have a guy in charge of player safety WHO PLAYED FOR THE HABS and people are complaining? Sure his decisions are not perfect but you want to go back to the last two cretins? The Leafs did the league a favor by transferring Shanahan’s stupidity to Toronto where it will blend in nicely. Things could be a helluva lot worse.

Geezus…I’m turning into PrimeTime…LOL.

So CBC is going to stick with the Hawks game online and not BJs? ;)

Nevermind… found it.

15. scuba says:

Big win for the Mooseheads tonight. Drouin is too good for Junior hockey. 5 more points tonight.

Tough to see Fucale left on the bench after giving up 3 goals on the first 4 shots he faced the last two games. I’ve never seen him play this poorly.

• johnnylarue says:

Tough for the kid, but if anyone can rebound from that (no pun intended), it’s Fucale. Seems to have a very good head on his shoulders, that one–especially for a goalie.

• CJ says:

Fucale is struggling. I wonder if it’s a health issue? This is as poorly as I’ve ever seen him play too.

On an aside, Mike Condon continues to shine. I’d be shocked if doesn’t make the Bulldogs roster next season and backs up Tokarski. Mayer was leaky this season and didn’t provide the consistent goaltending a young team requires to win

16. Phil C says:

Not to make excuses for Fleury, but you don’t see a puck bounce like that very often. It was really dancing.

17. Just A Guy says:

What is going on in Pennsylvania tonight?! (I’m sure Bob thinks he’s in Pittsburgh :P)

18. slapshot777 says:

Man did Fleury misplay that.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

19. CJ says:

Yes! Great goal Jackets!

20. Haberoooo13 says:

Oh MAF…WTF

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

21. johnnylarue says:

OOF. Fleury.

Vintage Fleury.

22. Willy the bum says:

If there’s a poll that says who will win for the second round: Boston or Detroit, Boston will win 100%.

Does anyone vote for Red Wings, or am I the only one?

23. johnnylarue says:

Pens/BJs game: I get the impression it’s a done deal. Fleury is on his game tonight, and this just feels like one of those games where, even if Columbus manages to tie it, that’s all they’re going to get.

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was part of the 49 % saying Bourque was the opening series MVP …yet, I would have made Lars Eller the second in the vote …Lars should have earned at least in the 25 % range

…We did this, winning the series 4-0, without a productive first-line …it will be very interesting if Our DD line can begin putting the puck in the net consistently and the other lines maintain Their present effectiveness

25. CJ says:

Good evening folks.

Enjoying Baie Comeau on TVA Sports this evening. I love the intensity and desire exhibited by these young men. There are but few occasions during an 82 game regular season where the paid athletes bring this same level of compete. Strangely enough, the pay checks stop and these guys bring everything they have to the postseason. Players earn their money in big games (playoffs). To this point, Bourque has drastically improved his value, while Eller and PK has improved their leverage at the bargaining table. Vanek however has not shown me enough to earn the kind of paycheck that would put him on par with Phil Kessel.

New stars will be born against the Bruins. Best case, Bourque, Eller, PK and company sustain their play, while Prust (who is clearly injured), Price, Vanek and our 5/6 defence pair all elevate their game.

Perhaps I’m showing a degree of bias, but if our team plays their game, and backs up the opponent’s defence with speed and skill, we will be a very tough out. We can not touch Boston physically, nor do we need to. We can beat them playing our game. We are an irritant, an annoyance to the mighty Bruins. The key, IMO, will be Price.

As I said this morning, Price will need a save percentage north of .930 to beat Boston. I’m not suggesting every goal this series has been stoppable, but right now pucks are finding a way to get behind him. Boston, perhaps better than any team in the league, will exploit a weakness and will pounce if they detect Price being off at all. Further, what implications does Budaj’s last starts have on either the Bruins or Price’s confidence? Will the big win on January 30th be a case of short term gain, but long term pain? The last two wins in Boston were both on the back of Budaj’s strong play.

The good news is, Price has time to adjust and course correct. Additionally, it’s great confidence when you can win, despite your best player not being at peak performance level. Nobody (subjective, I agree) wants Price to succeed more than I do. I want to win and I want to win with him. I believe he’s the right man for the job and every fibre of my being tells me he can lead us to the conference final and beyond. Yet, despite all this, when I watch him play in the postseason, whether live or on television, I find myself holding my breath each time the puck enters our zone.

So, in closing, I don’t know what to expect. Will Price be the hero we saw in Sochi, or will we see a repeat of last season’s performance against the Senators? I don’t know. That said, I’m behind him and this team 100%. A guy has to believe in something, right.

Go Habs! Cheers, CJ

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…when Our D and back/fore-checking forwards play like Team Canada played in Sochi, Carey will be super, because He is a great ‘positional’ goalie

…but, when not, Carey is vulnerable

…Carey will be as good as the Team in front of Him

• HabsPooch says:

I think the best is yet to come for Price. This is HIS series (facing the Bruins) to prove all doubters wrong and he will defintely have to outplay Rask to win the series.
      Our defense played well for most parts of the series against Tampa but let’s not kid ourselves, the Bruins are a different animal and healthy so far. There definitely will be great opportunities for the Bruins in front of Price and he’ll have to respond in brilliant fashion.
      I really hope they throw in Tinordi over Bouillon. This is the type of series that he was drafted for.

• JF says:

I feel the same way you do about Price. He has all the tools to do the job, and his performance in Sochi has given him the confidence. But at the moment, although he’s playing generally extremely well, he’s letting weird bounces and flukey goals get the better of him. He has to be able to handle those kinds of things if we’re to beat the Bruins. I feel pretty confident he will.

26. Butterface says:

7 games for this multi multi repeat offender is a joke.

He may have lost millions in revenues for the Avs. Maybe the Avs should sue him civilly.

Or Marc Savard.

When do they ship him to the KHL ?

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• D Mex says:

Well, the good news is that it will probably carry over to next season as MIN is unlikely to advance beyond this round … you getting this Tomas ? lol – :-)

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

27. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

The sad thing about the Cooke suspension is that it comes during the playoffs when the players technically don’t get paid. I don’t think that he will even have to forefit any salary.

28. Ton says:

Question for the posters> I always said PK is at his best when he uses his speed and edges…….noticed this year he’s playing heavier on his skates……..will bulking up do this?…..wonder if he needs to fine that right balance so he can get that lighting fast quickness back. Certainly he doesn’t he doesn’t get pushed around for he’s as strong as an ox……..but like to seem him a little faster!

29. Haberoooo13 says:

ouch another weak one on the Ducks goalie…bring back Guy Hebert

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…would love to hear the story of why Nilan lost His teeth :)

…and, Cowan asks ‘what if Lucic had speared You ?’, Chris grins and says ‘there WOULD have been a response’ :)

…funny stuff

31. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

I’m not going to hope for the Bruins or the Wings; each team has benefits for a matchup as well as drawbacks. We’ll get whomever we get. I just want to beat either team at their best. That would be most satisfying.

32. Dunboyne Mike says:

Here’s the ruling.

Everything Quintal says makes sense and is solid. Except the risible tameness of the punishment.

33. Haberoooo13 says:

Benn scores…and a weak one…45 foot wrist shot beats goalie…I thought only Price gave up those according to some here

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

34. johnnylarue says:

Seven games for Matt Cooke proves the “repeat offender” trope is utterly meaningless. Absolute hoax.

Quintal might just be a puppet in this situation, but regardless he’s just lost some major respect points in my books.

Edit: I’d have started with the rest of the playoffs + 20 regular season games, and worked my way up from there.

35. D Mex says:

Cooke gets 7 games according to HNIC.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

36. frontenac1 says:

So one of the poster boys for the Elimination of The Instigator Rule,Matt Cooke gets 7 games? Justice missed again.

37. HIO Dev says:

Hi all,

If you’re unable to view the Show, I’d like to help.

***IMPORTANT: You will not be able to see the show with an ad-blocker software, you’ll have to switch it off to load the video.***

If you do not have ad blocking software and still have trouble seeing the show, please respond to this comment and

1- What browser are you using (eg.: Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9 or 10, Safari, Chrome, Firefox?)

2- What do you see? Is the video loading and not playing? Not loading at all? Is the little coloured wheel spinning endlessly?

Thanks,
    Sebastien
    Gazette Developer

• Chrisadiens says:

Hmmm, HIO Dev eh? Don’t trust it. Account created a few days ago. Next you’ll be asking for phone numbers and credit card numbers.

Nope, not buying it. ;)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• AceMagnum says:

Is your name Sebastien or Dev?
      I don’t trust you…you’re like a French referee

• D Mex says:

Hi Sebastien
      I did have an issue viewing the video with safari. It goes blank (white screen) in full screen mode but worked OK in normal screen.
      Gracias –
      D Mex

38. Rockhabsfan says:

Anyone have any intel on the start date for round 2? Debating whether to buy tickets on pre-sale tomorrow…

39. Danno says:

Bluejackets:

Not…

Dead…

Yet!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

40. Willy the bum says:

Love to see the Habs-Bruins war in the second round. But as many wins from the Red Wings gives more time for the Habs to heal and the injured will come back, if there’s spots in the winning line-up.

I wouldn’t mind a Habs-Red Wings meet-up as well. Therefore, they should keep the line-up as it is. Against the Bruins, Habs need size in Murray, Tinordi, White, Moen, and Parros (the latter player may be unlikely, but I rather see him in hope of not getting a Habs forward in the line-up injured by a Bruin).

• punkster says:

So you would gut a winning line up to insert these 4?

Exactly who do you displace?

Release the Subbang!!!

• habcertain says:

It would be hard to pull a forward since all played well, Weaver or Cube could sit for Tiny or Murray, my concern is the Bruins would look to rag doll us in the 1st game and set a tone, we can’t fall into the scenario of the Sens like last year. MT will not change anyone until he loses. If we go with the current line up the Bruins go for the goon attack immediately.

• punkster says:

So when, exactly, did the br00nz “rag doll” the Habs this season?

Therrien and this team team are not likely to be as panic stricken as some Hab fans, and likely have far more self confidence.

They’re in a groove..you win with your best on the ice and playing your game, not the other team’s game.

Release the Subbang!!!

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed amigo. There was no Rag dolling because Murray, Parros and White were in the line up. Expect to see them again! Saludos!

• johnnylarue says:

I understand the logic, but outside of 1-2 games in the past two seasons, physical domination has not been a factor in Bruins victories against the Habs.

You don’t beat the Bruins at their own game–they’re absolutely peerless when it comes to playing like slimy turds on skates. You beat them by out skating them, by exploiting their relatively sluggish D corps, and most importantly by getting into their heads by playing the game of hockey and not engaging in their remedial schoolyard bully antics.

The Bruins are easy prey once they lose their cool and concentration, and the Habs are among the best when it comes to triggering their idiot rage.

• Willy the bum says:

I don’t really know, in my opinion. I’m glad I’m not the coach.

But it will be hard that if it’s the Bruins who advance, there will be injuries, and likely valuable to the series.

For example, let’s say Markov gets injured, who should be replaced? Tough to say, because there’s hardly a player who can match Markov’s skill and talent. Or a forward like Pacioretty, who came out swinging from the game-winning goal. With him out, who can replace him with Deshairnais and Vanek? And if they have the time to gel in together?

Again, not sure who should be in the lineup. But I do worry that as many days off resting before an Original Six match round, there will be valuable injuries during it.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…these Guys should only replace Our Tampa Bay roster if We struggle

• punkster says:

And Chucky would be the first forward choice.

I can see Murray in the event of a D injury but would prefer Tinordi.

Release the Subbang!!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I can see those Guys eventually may be put in, but the group that zeroed Tampa should be trusted/allowed to start the next series

…for Myself, Bouillion and Weaver defy all logic to be playing rather than Tinordi and Beaulieu, but will not argue with results so far

…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix-it

• punkster says:

Exactly…they’re rolling and anybody expecting to crack this roster now better be ready to play head and shoulders above their regular season play…and in that group I only see one guy with the raw talent and potential to do so in the short term.

Release the Subbang!!!

• Willy the bum says:

Murray is more experienced than Tinordi, therefore he goes first to replace.

41. AceMagnum says:

I love the SAIL commercial with the Sasquatch. That’s exactly what they look like. I saw one at Bear Skin Lodge between Sudbury and Sault-St Marie in 2000.
    —————————-
    CBC sucks ass

The pundits are having a hard time giving credit where credit is due.

I am not a fan of Corsi/Fenwick, at least not to the point of poring over data. However, puck-possession and the amount of scoring chances created versus given up, are highly important indicators (as are takeaways/giveaways and plus/minus). The Habs dominated in all these categories and more. I am not even so sure Bishop would have made all that much of a difference considering the plethora of quality scoring chances the Habs had. During the regular season play was very peripheral, whereas in the series with Tampa Bay, Habs players were constantly driving the net and getting into scoring position. It remains to be seen who they will face next round and whether or not they will be capable of doing the same.

One thing’s for sure. I prefer this aggressive forecheck, bottling up the neutral zone, turning over pucks, generating quality scoring chances style of play than the reliance on shot blocking, unable to clear the defensive zone, lack of puck possession, giving up too many shots one.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m equally stunned by the metamorphosis this team has gone through in the past week or two… They’re virtually unrecognizable.

We could maybe cite 1 or 2 games from the regular season (Chicago shutout comes to mind) where the Habs played a truly complete, 200-foot/60-minute game, but the degree to which they owned the ice against the Lightning was ridiculous. They absolutely destroyed TB in the neutral zone, and limited the majority of their chances in the Habs end to those of the ‘one and done’ variety.

Getting 100 points in a season is absolutely respectable, but I saw nothing in their play this season that suggested they’d be capable of taking a series against the Lightning in 4, Bishop or no Bishop. Weird, wild stuff.

43. frontenac1 says:

Bruins vs The Habs. Playoff match up I’ve been waiting all year for. Habs in 6 maybe even 5. Bring it on!

• Mr. Biter says:

How can anyone argue with this prediction?
      When series dates are finalized, might have a chance to go to a playoff game. Supplier said he could get me a ticket n/c but I have to fly in. Where would be a good place to stay near the Bell Centre and what bar would I find some H/IO’s posters before and after the game?

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

44. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I can’t believe Cooper is getting any criticism at all after watching d-bags like the Walrus over the years. Cooper is a class act compared to the other losers out there.

• frontenac1 says:

Cooper is great with the kids. He made a rookie mistake, firing up the Habs in game 3. I like the guy though, but who gives a sh#t now? They’re playing Golf. Bring on the Bruins.Saludos!

• Willy the bum says:

True, but people thinks he’s no Patrick Roy.

To me, I actually like Cooper. Really love his interviews. He has a second career as a laywer, so he knows what to say. Civil, logical, with a dash of deadpan humour. Plus he looks like Michael Keaton. I somehow picture there’s Batman behind the Lightning bench.

But Cooper is a rookie playoff coach, and he got so much learning on this series, along with the rookie players on the team. Hope they’ll come back in the playoff spot next year.

• L Elle says:

I liked Cooper during the regular season, but during the playoffs, I found him to be incompetent, probably due to lack of experience.

After the 1st game, he said, they worked so hard for home ice, and now they’ve lost it. At the expense of overusing and over relying on Bishop. Goalie mismanagement.

After the 2nd game, he said, it’s not a must win game, not like they were about to be eliminated. Wtf Jon? Every game in the playoffs is a must win game, especially going back to the Bell Centre, down 2 games.

Having 5 guys all in a line along one side is a crappy system to win games.

I could go on, but the number 1 reason he annoyed me was, instead of giving our Habs credit, he whined about calls and bad luck. He was outcoached, dare I say, in this series, MT ruled.

I hate it when grown men whine. :)

• Willy the bum says:

Bad luck, sure. But I didn’t hear Cooper whine about bad calls. During the post-interview in Game 3, he explained the refs have the final calls and there’s nothing to do. What he said about calling the Callahan’s goal good was his own opinion. I don’t think he whined about it, but he’s pissed off, and has the right to be pissed. Like all NHL coaches.

Claude Julian on the other hand, to explain his team as classy and very respectable in the league… hilarious.

• L Elle says:

Bruins are in their own stratosphere of shame, no doubt.

Habs made Tampa look very bad. I don’t doubt Cooper needed to come out and say that. But, the over emphasis on other elements, other than he was outplayed and outcoached, to me at least, sounded like whining. Like, “Poor us. nothing went our way, or we were winning this series”.

Tampa was not winning this series, notwithstanding luck or calls .

45. Danno says:

Bobby very shaky in nets for CBJ – the hook?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

CBC Video; ‘Hockey Night Online: Habs’ momentum halted?’

47. DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but Surrey has got me impressed.

( and interested to hear more)

—–
    Moving. Forward.

48. UKRAINIANhab says:

Pretty cool story.

So my son just won his battle with that awful disease called cancer, not only was it the hardest time of his life but also mine. I sent an email to my friend in the Canadiens organization, he knew about all my son went through and I told him “If you get my Cam a signed Plekanec jersey it will make him forget about everything and move on”. So I got a call from Canada Post this morning, and boom. There was Cameron’s signed jersey and a nice hand written note from his favourite player Tomas Plekanec. We truly do support a first class organization my friends!

So where’s the show?

50. montreal ace says:

HIO with its small budget puts on very interesting shows, while HNIC with its mega budget,, is offending and boring lots to times.

51. Prop says:

Weird…the video isn’t coming through for me…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a good thing McLean’s brain-dead remarks were made post-Quebec election …or We’ll still be persevering Herr Marois as Premier

• JUST ME says:

With all due respect sir , this kind of comment stems from the same free hatred spilled innocently by McLean..

• Loop_Garoo says:

I don’t think there was any hatred in Mclean’s comment, a bit misguided yes, but not hatred.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

You know what..it’s the people that react to Ron’s comments like JUST ME that has an agenda of their own. You guys are eithere joking or plain dumb. Yes McLean’s remarks have sparked a storm but he didn’t mean them as most are choosing to spew here. So I see it as your problem and not his. Actually you make me kind of sick with your petty twisting of things.

53. habsfan0 says:

My predictions, so far:

APRIL 14, 2014 AT 8:43 AM
    Predictions are for gypsies.
    Nevertheless,here are mine:
    Montreal over Tampa Bay √
    Detroit over Boston
    Columbus over Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia over Rangers
    Chicago over St. Louis
    Colorado over Minnesota
    Anaheim over Dallas
    San Jose over LA

Somewhere next round I can see media types like McLean and other laffs blowhards saying that Habs can’t complain about questionable refereeing because blah blah blah, TB series, more blah blah, french refs, more blah blah.

I hate HNIC crew.

• Mavid says:

you are so right..hell on us if we complain about any type of questionable officiating because after all look at all the gifts we were given..friggen right bla bla bla bla…bla bla

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

55. Dunboyne Mike says:

Is there a delay with news about Cooke? Or is this normal? His in-person hearing was scheduled for this afternoon.

56. mark-ID says:

So in the Canadiens last 20 games including the playoffs…their record is 15-3-1. Not too shabby, I must say. Somewhere, Timo is impressed.

57. JUST ME says:

Just heard Elliotte Friedman explanations on TSN on the McLean affair that happened yesterday and you can feel that the fit had fit the shan today.
    Still it was not very intelligent on McLean`s part to go on that subject as it seems was not supposed to be discussed or planned in production meeting. It was a well thought subject from McLean that did not come instantly… Friedman did want to let people know that he took full responsability for adding the word french in the conversation wich McLean was not going to add…
    Who to believe or not…It`s just that if i make that kind of mistake at my private company when i am supposed to be the image of the company , i`ll have a meeting with the boss and get a 4% gift..Not a chance it happens at the CBC.

58. mcmikel says:

Ginette Reno > Rene Rancourt

59. Say Ash says:

So we’re drafting bottom eight? Disappointing.

• johnnylarue says:

I know. Epic fail in the draft position contest.

The people responsible for making this team win need to be fired immediately. (Starting with the Francophone referees, obviously.)

• Habfan17 says:

I really think that the draft positions should only be determined by the regular season final standings, not the playoffs! Teams should not be penalized for doing well in the play offs, especially if they squeezed in as the 16th team.

Habfan17

• Loop_Garoo says:

I thought the only one that was determined by the playoffs was the Stanley cup winner, everyone else by regular season adjusted for the cup winner. No?

60. RockinRey says:

Very cool montage on Canoe

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

61. 24AW says:

Boston and Habs series will be nothing like the Lightning one, toughness will be the difference. toughest team wins. not saying the Habs didn’t deserve to win, they played great but they didn’t have to play tough, Bruins will change that, beat them in the alley or go home with nothing.

62. 24AW says:

What a joke with Marchand, limping on the right leg and was hit on the left, below the knee. when he skates off the ice all his weight was on his left leg/knee supposingly the one that got hurt in the mean time bending the right as if it was hurt, that has to be the joke of the playoffs so far. sure sucked the refs in, too dumb to notice what leg he was holding up when he was helped off the ice.

63. Ozmodiar says:

Erik Cole – healthy scratch tonight.

/ semi-retired?

Where’s the 5%’ers who thought it was a bad trade?

64. JUST ME says:

Although i did like Cooper`s style as a person i did not find that he was a very good coach. He took many wrong decisions that had a definite impact on the final issue of his season. Way too easy to sum it up with injuries, you are supposed to deal with those as every team should.
    Defense was awful,Callahan was invisible,Paquette was sticking like a sore thumb, wrong choice of goaler, no offensive variety,left experienced veteran on the bench and chose to play rookies. Not impressive.

• Lafleurguy says:

My perfect hindsight, TBay was the easiest possible matchup, easier than Columbus or Detroit (Blueshirts and Broadstreet Psychos were on a collision course for weeks in accordance with the new playoff rules).

• JF says:

I agree. I can excuse or understand his choice of goaltender; Gudlevskis is only 21 and had played all of one NHL game, and Lindback had done very well in the last week of the season. He was also solid in Game three after the first goal. But the defence had trouble with our speed and made a lot of errors, and Cooper did not adjust to the Habs’ aggressive forecheck. As for Paquette, it’s certainly puzzling that he was on the ice in the last minute of the game, especially as he had been at fault on two of the three goals the Habs had already scored.

65. Commandant says:

I’m sick of all the crap. Goalie Injuries, Latvian goalies, french referees, all of it is crap and none of it was the difference in the series. The Habs were the better team, my rant/analysis.

• Ozmodiar says:

Don’t worry, Boston series coming up.

That should put an end to all the crap, right? RIGHT?!?!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Well said.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Danno says:

I’m mad as Hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Loop_Garoo says:

Again though, every major news outlet, from the CBC to the hockey news to TSN, has said clearly, that the Habs were the better team. They talked about why, and part of it is goaltending, and the rest is about how to increase ratings for your channel/web site. I think most of this controversy on this site was invented here, besides the Mclean thing.

• 24 Cups says:

Commandant – Two very quick points. Stamkos was injured part way thru the series so I think that’s a factor in his regard.

As for Bishop, you really think his absence was not a factor? Do you think the series would still be going on if the Habs didn’t have Price in net?

Montreal really stepped up and played a great series. However, they caught some major breaks. Let’s leave the homerism on the sidelines. I’m ecstatic about the Hab win but I’m also grateful. I think there’s a middle line there in all of that discussion.

Bring on the Bruins!

24.4 Cups

• Commandant says:

I honestly believe that you put two equal goaltenders in this series and its still a sweep. Montreal had more and better scoring chances in every game.

Is Ben Bishop a better goalie than Carey Price? I don’t believe he is. Maybe he takes the first game when Price was off his game, but overall, I think its still 3-1 Montreal, and probably over in 5.

Then you had CBC telling us that if they only started the Latvian kid they would have won game 4. Sorry, not buying it. The kid had a .901 save percentage in the AHL…. Yeah he had a great game in Sochi, but it was just that, one game… not a career. Anyone remember Andrei Mezin, and what he did to the Swedes in Salt Lake City? How’d that NHL career work out? How many Stanley Cup playoff series did Miracle on Ice goalie Jim Craig win?

66. CH Marshall says:

Lol. Cooper trying to get his little insults in with his comments.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I saw Cooper as very high school with his schtick. I was surprised at how unprofessional and unsophisticated he appeared to be.

24 cups and counting….

• ont fan says:

Heard Cooper interviewed today. Surprised he would go on radio so soon after lose. Very articulate, gave full value to Habs. A week ago, was getting ready for first game and it’s already over. Big let down and a little embarrassed they couldn’t extend series.

67. Un Canadien errant says:

It always happens, I spend more than a couple minutes on a post, and by the time I hit “Submit”, there are already a dozen posts up on a new thread.

Here’s a ***Repost***:

What a crock that apology from Ron McLean is, and the statement from his boss, that said it had “nothing to do with francophone…”

First HNIC and TSN, to feed their news cycle, hype up a controversy about a disallowed goal, when experts like Kerry Fraser and Stéphane Auger clearly explain that it was a correct call. They blithely ignore them and immediately pass the mike to Jeff O’Neil and P.J. Stock so that they can ‘disagree’ and ramble on how that goal should have counted.

Then Ron McLean, after the win, when the series is over, keeps feeding the ‘controversy’, clearly stating that the French-Canadian referee shouldn’t have been appointed to work that game, to quell any suspicion Tampa might have had. Yet Tampa was quite sober in its post-game comments, they were measured and fatalistic, not really blaming the officiating. Ron still took the two extra steps to feed the beast.

In the olden days it would have been phone calls he’d have to worry about, but now it’s instantaneous, he gets shelled on Twitter, and clumsily backtracks, trying to indicate that it’s the ‘local’ angle he’s worried about, not French-Canadian refs per se. Except in his decades on air, he’s never, ever raised the issue of a Port Alberni ref working a Canucks game, or a Brampton ref working a Leafs game. Canadian citizens John Smith or Joe Brown can work any game coast to coast to coast, but Canadian citizen Jean Côté must be restricted to only certain games.

HNIC used to be a quality program, almost stodgy in its approach. Dick Irvin, Dave Hodge, there were excellent broadcasters working there who provided valuable programming to the Canadian public. Now that they’re a lame duck, I get pangs of regret, I fear what the clowns at Sportsnet will do, the onslaught of cretinism and commercialization that will swamp us next season, but I have to be realistic. The putrid corpse that is being “Weekend at Bernie’s”‘ed as the current incarnation of HNIC, with P.J. Stock and Don Cherry and Gary Galley and now even Ron McLean, must be interred.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Habfan10912 says:

Well THIS is what ALWAYS happens to me.
      I posted something early this morning with my personal view on HNIC and the lack of fair journalism and sensationalism that rules the day their. All for the almighty dollar.

You sir have said it much more distinctly and concise then I. That is what always happens.

• Ozmodiar says:

The apology is useless. The genie’s out of the bottle. We now know MacLean’s thoughts on such matters.

• Habfan10912 says:

I thought the apology was worse, Oz.

• Loop_Garoo says:

yes, we know that as a referee himself, he was worried about how other people would react to this ref if something went wrong. Mclean bores me and I wish HNIC would drop him, but what he said has been grossly twisted and mis-interpreted. Yes, it was mis-guided as well, as he should have known some grab this comment and run with it. I can guarantee what the CBC bosses said to Mclean “listen , we all know this is stupid, so just throw out and apology and we’ll all move on”

• hansolo says:

You are absolutely right. It was a crock and nothing he could say will ever make it otherwise. I remember watching the Bruins-Habs game where PK took out Marchand with a massive butt-check and all Maclean could go on about was an imaginary slew-foot PK delivered.

I’m old enough to remember Rene Lacavalier, Gilles Tremblay, Richard Garneau and Lionel Duval. None of them would have stooped to this level, not even for Chris F Lee.

• habcertain says:

actually there have been many occasions where it has been commented on, what part of Canada a ref was from vs the game he was doing. my only explanation is passions run so high for teams and the game, local media has a hard time thinking refs can overlook their personal favorites. this really is a distinctive Canadian thing, never hear of it in any sport in the US. International soccer maybe guilty of it also.

• The Jackal says:

Great post UCE, but haven’t you heard? As the old Valyrian saying goes, all posts must die (assuming you’re a Game of Thrones fan anyway). And credit that last saying to our resident poster Captain Pike.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

68. BriPro says:

I think we just lived through the fastest series of the season, and I don’t mean a 4-game sweep.
    I mean foot-speed.
    These two teams were faster than any other team I’ve watched in this first round. And I’ve watched all of them.

If Montreal can keep clicking and stay healthy and deep, (at risk of sounding over-confident and cocky), I think they go the distance.

Although I was wrong in my prediction for the first round (I took Habs A-team in 5, their B-team in 7), I’m hoping that I’m right this time.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hey Bri. A Detriot/Hab series would be s good one as well. I really though Tampa’s defense had trouble with the Canadiens speed.

Watching the Habs transition game is one of my favorite things to see in sports today. We saw a lot of that the last week.

69. DipsyDoodler says:

Surrey

Yeah lower St.Laurent is slowly but surely being gentrified. The one holdout is Cleopatra, a strip club. The owner’s been refusing to leave for years now.

There’s a Facebook page dedicated to saving the Main:

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I think I saw Mclean coming down from the second floor. ;)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…are You old enough to remember Le Beret Bleu (corner St. Laurent & Ste. Catherine) night club Dips ?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Oh no. I’m not even old enough to remember Ginette Reno or brown buses.

Found this Gazoo story on the Beret Bleu. Seems like they had a lot of trouble with the law:

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

:) Beret Bleu’s zenith was pre-Drapeau, when ‘anything’ went

…it’s where the City’s mayor, police chief, priests and rabbis, and if there were any Mullahs in the day, that’s where they would be with a half-naked stripper on each knee :)

…it was where this precocious 13 year old learned of the birds and bees …a tenant in My father’s building in NDG was a courtesan of one of The Gazette’s best sports writers, often left alone she would ring Me up to ‘change her light bulbs’ (at least that is what I explained to My concerned Mom :) )

…she was an 18 year old, bodacious platinum blonde, a mix of Jayne Manfield and Pamela Anderson, whom Our intrepid sports savant met at the Beret Bleu

…anyhow, bored waiting for his infrequent visits to her apartment, she would take Me down to the Beret to schmooze with her girlfriends

…well, for a 13 year old sitting at the back of the club or in the strippers dressing room was an eye-opening experience

…she enjoyed pointing out to Me the customers of the day, …’that’s the fire chief’ …’he’s the big boss of Sun Life’ …he’s the Chief Rabbi of …. ‘ …he’s Monsigneur ….. ‘ :)

…My Goodness, I grew up fast !

…Montreal pre-Drapeau was a hoot :)

70. hansolo says:

(Repost from the end of the other thread)

Great win by the Habs last night. To quote our fearless leader, “Never in doubt.” Although, to listen to the Canadian media, you wouldn’t be blamed for thinking Tampa Bay was on the northern shore of Lake Ontario rather than the Gulf of Mexico. Cooper and the Lightning did such a wonderful job against insurmountable odds: the penalty, the goal that didn’t count, obvious French-Canadian bias, 12 playoff rookies (all of whom NOW know “what it takes to win at this level”), Bishop’s injury, blah, blah. Yes, but they got swept! Don’t the Habs deserve any credit? We’ll get to all of that LATER, at least on the NHL network.

On another note, now that I see them more, I must say I don’t get what’s so special about the Western Conference. At least the Avs have some flair. Hawks-Blues and Sharks-Kings hardly will win fans over to hockey. The word that comes to mind is “lumbering. ” And the high sticks and the headshots? Over 100 hits per game for the Sharks-Kings series, and I can’t think of anything I’d rather watch less. At least the Hawks can play a skilled game when it’s needed. I’m not sure the Kings could to save their (playoff) lives.

71. ont fan says:

Cooper on Habs, Their top 4 defense and goalie played better than ours. They were very good. They also played a lot in our end, which they didn’t do during the regular season. They deserved to win.

72. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Ronn

…I also am impressed by Gerard Gallant in what He brings to making the work required under Therrien ‘fun’

…J.J. I have been more circumspect as I have felt Tinordi, Beaulieu should have been integrated by now …and, Pateryn given some ice during the season to encourage Him

…but, in the end, what can I credibly say against Bouillion and Weaver …We are very deep, up front, on D, and in goal

…Bergevin, so far, has been a magician

…the whole Organization, from marketing, management, player development, coaching and the Boys on the ice …We haven’t seen this professionalism in decades

…and, finally, ‘great’ organizations start at the top …Geoff Molson has enabled all of this

…I hope Geoff is rewarded with a Cup

…has been fun so far :)

73. Dunboyne Mike says:

For those who missed it this morning, here’s video of Brad the Lad taking a knee from a Red Wing, falling to the ice, rolling and writhing… while holding the OTHER knee!

Habfan10912 posted the story earlier, but now here it is in the BOSTON media:

Taster, from Bradley, responding to a question about how his faking is all over Twitter:

“That’s why they’re on Twitter and I’m in the NHL,” Marchand said, according to CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty.

You just can’t beat the bit of class, eh?

• D Mex says:

If he can figure out which leg it was, he should arrange to get it looked at by Dr Recchi … a prescription for mustard & embellish with the hot dog :?:

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Ha ha… dumbass.

Wait… I thougth that according to coach Julien that the didn’t embellish.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Jim! Come on! Do the inane thing! You know you want to!

• peiKC says:

yes, welcome back Chris. I think from now on, being a staunch Habs fan and true Canadian or en, I was surprised and rather shocked to hear mr. maclean say that the NHL shouldn’t have used a “French” referee for last nights game. My playoffs will be observed on RDS even though I can;t speak French.

To suggest that the Montreal Canadiens get favourable calls is absurd and places a pall over the entire playoffs. We have our share of poor calls but lately we are rising above that and playing through the adversity.

This is becoming a very special playoff……….things seem to be going our way, not only because we are managing to get a few calls in our favour but the team is playing as a team for the first time this year and I think Mr. Gallant has a big part in that.

My friends, enjoy the ride, I think we’re going far.

PEIKC

• BriPro says:

What were you doing Jim?
      Re-loading the page so that you could post first on the new thread?

Geez buddy…. are you bored? There are still at least 7 days to go before the next round. Time for the worm farm!

74. monmick says:

Jacques Martin will replace Bylsma after first round exit…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

75. Loop_Garoo says:

They should have traded Fleury and something for Luongo

76. JF says:

I’ve been saying for a couple of years that Bylsma is over-rated as a coach. Every year his team is undisciplined and sloppy in the playoffs, in addition to having no goaltending. They also lose their composure easily and get drawn into extra-curricular stuff instead of playing hockey. This pattern was apparent against us four years ago, and has been repeated every year since.

77. Willy the bum says:

Love to see that happens.

78. habsfan0 says:

Does The Count still scribble behind the bench?

79. Un Canadien errant says:

Bob Hartley apparently says: “Show me a good goalie, and I’ll show you a good coach”.