HI/O Show: Bring on the Rangers!

Columnist Jack Todd and HI/O blogger Mike Boone join Gazette sports editor/host Stu Cowan on this week’s HI/O Show to discuss the Canadiens’ Game 7 victory over the Boston Bruins and look ahead to the Eastern Conference final against the New York Rangers.

Todd, who correctly predicted the Canadiens would beat the Bruins in seven games on the HI/O Show before the series started, gives his prediction for Habs vs. Rangers and is asked if Montreal fans can get ready for a Stanley Cup parade this year.

Boone and Cowan also give their predictions for the series and the panel looks back on some of the highlights and lowlights  of the Bruins series, including Milan Lucic’s comments during the post-game handshakes.

(Photo by Sterling Agres / HI/O Show)

1. Psycho29 says:

Very Cool!! Milan Lucic and his handshake tirade just made the CTV National News….he must be so proud!!! ;-)

2. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe of “Down Goes Brown” looks at which goalie(s) are having a good playoff, and which aren’t.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

3. habs-fan-84 says:

Like the series against Tampa, there’s not a lot of players I dislike on the Rangers (with the exception of Carcillo). It’ll be a bit of a change after facing the Bruins.

4. habsfan0 says:

Brad Richards of the New York Rangers commenting on playing the Habs in the playoffs in Montreal:
    “I’m not going to lie, it’s the best place to play,” Richards said Thursday. “I’ve been fortunate enough to see Super Bowls, I was at Yankees-Red Sox at old Yankee Stadium Game 7, World Series, I’ve played in the Stanley Cup finals.
    “I can’t imagine any other sporting event that is this amazing of an atmosphere. It’s very special.”

5. Mr_MacDougall says:

This is 100% serious.

My beloved grandmother had dementia, and she remained sharp as a tack up until, and including her last days. That is why I give Don Cherry the benefit of the doubt. He is what he is, an unapologetic Bruins and leafs fan. When those teams are not involved he can make some good points, especially in the regular season, in the playoffs his emotions get the better of him, and he is unable to control himself.

He doesn’t like to talk about the stars because he knows we’ve been told about them over and over. He is very far behind the times, and at the very least, he gives listeners a window into the past… For me, I just get a kick out of him.. It’s all an act, he plays a character on television.. Almost like a heel in wrestling.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

6. Sportfan says:

Saw photos from MTL Blog at the Bell Center and I saw a photo they took of me and my friends its always awesome to see stuff like that.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

7. fastfreddy says:

Every team should be placing a bounty on Lucic next season for his stupidity! Totally classless.
    CH = Les Glorieux!!!

8. This is all I’ve heard from Leaf fans. You guys will never beat us we’re bigger and faster and we have the best goaltender. Those fans come April then went on to say. You got lucky to get into the playoffs. They then said we’ll never beat the Lightning, (started cheering for Lightning) then after we did it was because Bishop wasn’t playing, and then continued to say you’ll never beat Boston, Go Bruins Go…..Finally after 8 months of yapping they’re quiet, I’ve even read that a few think the Habs are good, and Carey Price is great.

Now the next series is around the corner and we’re up against the GREAT LUNDVIST. Aka Mr. “when the going gets tough, Lundqvist gets going)….never have a seen a goalie pull himself from a game so many times. Unlike Rask, Lundqvist can win a series all by himself. He’s that good, but I got a feeling he’ll be pulling himself two or three more times next week.

We have absolutely no pressure. Beating the Bruins was a challenge, now it’s just hockey.

No Marchand, No Lucic, No Bog Z, and no Goon Thornton.
    We didn’t poke the bear, we gutted him!
    There Endeth the Lesson (thx Cal)

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Don’t Poke The Bear

• piper says:

My wifes brother inlaw (a know it all blow hard leaf fan) told me last fall that there’s no way Price should be going to the olympics and that he’s the most over rated goalie in the league. My wifes brother inlaw is pretty quiet these days.
      HAHA!!! Don’t poke the bear? The bear just got saudomized! Good one Booner.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’m not usually one to notice these things..,but he’ll be pulling himself 2-3 times next week lol

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Habcouver says:

I believe MT, management and players will not rest long on their laurels in disposing of the Gooins. There appears to be a mechanical approach that the Habs have adopted to achieve its Goal. It’s all business.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• jimmy shaker says:

The only thing that worries me about this series is there really isn’t a hate for one another, not really a big rivalry. The habs didn’t have to dig very deep to get up for the cubs, they will have to vs the rangers. I think Vanek and Patch, although they did put the puck in the net vs the cubs will have better looks and opportunities vs the rangers.

SHake and Bake and I’m done!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Jimmy, wait until the second intermission Saturday.. We’ll be hating Staal.. And a few others.. zuccerello is a Gally type..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Huge hate for the Rangers, they (upper Management) haven’t forgotten the great comeback, but yes as for the players, they’re a team like us, bunch of blue collar players. They’re one superstar hasn’t scored since the early millennium. But they have the great Brad Richards ok ok I like him cause he’s from PEI, and he’s not performing either. They shut down the Pens, but really all they had to do was shut down two players, after that the Pens were pretty bad. Sean Avery isn’t with them anymore, and they have no goons. We’ll have to make crap up about them to get the rivalry going..

From the AP
        RANGERS HAVE HABS LOGO IN DRESSING ROOM
        Martin St Louis disgruntled about the Habs not drafting him has the Canadiens logo in dressing room floor for everyone to walk on it.

From The Hockey News
        Lundqvist says Price is a Joke
        King Henrik laughed Carey Price’s gold medal quoted as saying my mom could have played goal for Team Canada and won.

TSN
        Alain Vigneault Wants Retribution
        Still upset after being fired by the Canadiens Vigneault has a picture of Therrien in his office. The staff use it as a dart board backing.

Shane Oliver
        @sholi2000
        A Little fun during the Intermission
        Don’t Poke The Bear

• murfdog says:

LOL you are right for sure, I even started hearing “Im cheering for Canada”

9. Danno says:

They’re the talk of the town…

Cover Boys

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

10. BigB says:

I drove home after work (the Habs game had just ended). Mind you, I live in Scottsdale (Arizona) and my car plates read VA HABS.

As I am driving still very high because of the win, I see this dude jogging with a Habs shirt on! I started honking and yelling WE WON WE WON!!!!

The guy looks at me, jumps up with his arms raised and starts crying.

Boy did that feel awkward! I know it was tears of joy but I had never made a grown man cry.

Anyone know a good shrink on the West coast of US? I think I’m scarred for life :)

Habs forever!

11. zorro says:

Something has to be said about the person, and team player Daniel Briere has been.
    I was never a fan of him, especially after he snubbed the Habs for the Flyer’s a few years back. I thought he would be too soft for us, and that we had enough small player’s on the roster.
    He has conducted himself with utmost class and a team guy this season. He hasn’t had big point number’s, and MT has been sitting him out here and there. He play’s his role, doesn’t whine or complain and add’s veteren leadership to the group.
    For a player of his size, slotted on the fourth line going up against other team’s thugs, and playing 8 minutes a game, he has helped the likes of Wiesse and continues to add to his own playoff numbers with timely goals.
    Good job Danny, great to have you aboard.

***Cuz the playoffs are a new season***

• BigB says:

Z,

I totally agree. I was never a fan of his, but we should give him lots of credit.

Habs forever!

• JF says:

Agreed. Brière has been very classy and utterly professional, making the most of the rather limited minutes he’s been given. He seems to genuinely want to help the team and to be willing to sacrifice a large and splashy role for himself to this end. He’s having a good playoffs and had a great game last night. He was also key in our OT victory in Game one against Tampa.

• Habcouver says:

Bravo Briere!
      MB was expecting this playoff performance (so far) from Danny Boy. During the season, he seemed lost still times but all will be forgotten and forgiven now… and if our Boys go further!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• 100HABS says:

good post, good point. Briere has been showing excellent attitude and showing that he can help in the playoffs.

• kalevine says:

absolutely. I was predisposed to disliking him but he continues to make a lot out of minimal ice time

12. ClutchNGrab says:

A rangers blog explains why montreal is the worst franchise in the nhl:

Warning: it’s not serious.

13. mdp2011 says:

Apologies if this has been posted already, but great story on Dale Weiss and the type of player the Canucks tried to make him into.

14. punkster says:

Found it…last night’s CBC opening montage.

Artist- Wintersleep- Experience The Jewel

Release the Subbang!!!

15. Mr_MacDougall says:

I had no idea there was a “code” to. OT repeat what was said in the handshake.. This “code book” must be 70,000 pages long, all hypocritical.

I don’t remember it being referred to when Marty didn’t shake Avrey’s hand…

Also, Weiss was asked,by a reporter that saw Lucic acting like a moron.. What was he supposed to say?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

FYI Dennis Potvin said he never heard a negative thing in a playoff handshake. It was about respect. He also called out Weiss.. Idiot.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

Dennis Potvin can take a long walk off a short pier. He is, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst colour man in the entire league. I don’t know a single Sens fan who can stand him.

My only saving grace is I know his story from Florida and why he’s no longer employed in the sunny south.

• zorro says:

Im not so sure Emelin understood a word that thug was saying. Does Emelin speak English ?? but I do know DD heard it all.

16. Tis Himself says:

Great thing about being in the metro NYC area? A friend who is a Rangers’ season-ticket holder invited me to Game 4 at MSG probably next Friday night. Yes, life is good!

17. Un Canadien errant says:

Suhprise, suhprise…

Milan Lucic controversy overblown, says Don Cherry

“It’s much ado about nothing.”

“He shouldn’t have said it, he’s just lost the seventh game, but he’s honest anyhow.”

“I’m a little disappointed in Weise saying anything to him. I mean, here I am, uh, you know, victim, I mean uh, so what, he said it, you think a lot of things haven’t been said in those handshakes and that?”

“I’m more concerned that the Bruins lost. We outplayed them, outshot them, outhit them, and we didn’t have the goaltending they had.”

“I’m here to talk about the hockey game, I’ve already said what I said about Lucic, I wish he hadn’t said it but he said it, what are you going to do?”

“They were the better team, they just didn’t have the better goalie.”

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• stephen says:

Thanks, UCe.

I stopped the clipped once Cherry said:

“…he (Lucic) had just lost game 7 in overtime…”

Wonder how many ‘pops’ deep ol’ Grapes was when did the interview.

• habs_54321 says:

Time for Cherry too drink his prune juice and retire

• Mad Habber says:

“They were the better team, they just didn’t have the better goalie”

HAHAHA Whatever Don, keep telling yourself that. Put it all on Rask, no wonder you never won a cup.

18. Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

As far as the time and date of the games. NBC wins cause the Habs and Ranger fans will watch no matter when…Even fans living overseas will figure how to watch. So just the casual fan will be watching. Someone brought up the thought before that which teams would you like to see playing each other if you just dropped a few billion on the TV contract. Is this too good to be true for NBC? Gooins to dirty for prime time?

Only the leafs have a lager fan base of those still in the playoffs. I guess even a few billion can’t buy them a playoff round .

19. Seda Moss says:

OMG. Boone stole Lucic’s hat: http://imgur.com/czrHKjg

20. Stevie.Ray says:

Why is a semi final Stanley cup game between two original six teams, being played at 1 pm on a Saturday???? I can’t imagine how much only having Montreal play one Saturday night game so far this playoffs has hurt the Nhl.

21. Fransaskois says:

I don’t think this is a series we should take lightly. The Rangers are built very similarly to us. We saw how the speed of Tampa Bay wreaked havoc with the Emelin-Markov pairing (imagine Murray) and the Rangers are just as fast and efficient. Their top-3 defenceman are some of the top in the league (McDoughnut, Girardi, Stall) and their bottom end guys are just as proficient (Stralman, Klein, Diaz, Moore). This is going to be a hard-fought series with a lot of speed, skill, and good goaltending. I wouldn’t expect anything easy!

• JF says:

Agreed. I watched quite a few Rangers games in the second half of the season and thought they were a team that could go far in the playoffs. I picked them over the Flyers and then over the Penguins, who have flamed out in the playoffs every year since winning the Cup.

This Rangers team is nothing like the Tortorella-coached team that we used to beat with relative ease. They play a much more dynamic, aggressive game, they move the puck well, and their defence is solid. If we’re to beat them, Price will have to outplay Lundqvist, our special teams will have to continue solid, and we’ll have to be as opportunistic as we were against the Lightning and Bruins. I’m hoping Pacioretty will continue playing with the urgency and physical edge he showed the last couple of games, and that our top line will be reunited. I thought Desharnais actually had a strong series, despite not putting up many points.

Lundqvist’s poor record against us, especially at the Bell Centre, might give us an advantage. In fact, I wonder if it will turn out to have been an error on Vigneault’s part not to play Lundqvist at the Bell Centre this season, opting for Cam Talbot instead. Lundqvist may have felt that his coach didn’t have confidence in him when the games were here; if so, he’ll be under additional pressure.

The other factor that favours us, of course, is the two seven-game series the Rangers have just played, with a very compressed schedule at the end of the first and the beginning of the second. All that hockey will have to get to them at some point. We had a lot more rest.

• Mad Habber says:

I predicted Habs would get this far at beginning at post season. They beat the lighting quicker than I thought they would, and the Bruins a game longer (though they had a good chance of sweeping them).

Next series will all come down to consistency. If they Habs skate, and check like they have so far, they are going to be tough to beat. But I could see them letting off the gas a little.

22. Habcouver says:

Are there any players that we can despise on the Rangers?
    I have always liked Dominic Moore as a Hab. I can not be upset with McDonugh a la Gomez.
    They seem like a mirror to our Boys.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

Sorry! no group tickets left for this round boys and girls. Even game 7 is sold out.

24. habs11s says:

Other than Game 1, is there a schedule out for the ECF?

_____________________________________________________________

25. Danno says:

Will Don Cherry point out what a poor sport and lousy role model he is for the kids?

Milan Lucic

The Ineffective Man-Thing

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Haberoooo13 says:

“Well I tellz ya…I don’t like those handshakes……What do you expect???….. An another thing…Gilmour…..Leafs….Stan Jomathan….Refs…”

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Mondou6 says:

Yeah, exactly. He’ll be on about “back in my day, there were always things said in the handshake line but we didn’t have the media to lip read and blow it all out of proportion.”

• SUMO says:

Probably not. He’ll make some jackass comment abt “the code” of what is said on the ice, stays on the ice BS. It’s actually really good to see that even in the Boston media that Lucic is getting called out for disrespecting the greatest tradition in all team sports, the end of series handshake.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Actually, no, it was too much to hope for. See my post above.

Etcheverry 92

1st of all Sam #92 should not be your handle. He would never stoop so low and cry me a river, after being taught a lesson like the Hab’s did to Boston.
    They brought a water bottle to a gun fight! Hab’s are moving on my friend!

27. BigB says:

My head’s still spinning from last night. I really hope it wasn’t a dream.

Only question I have about that team whose butt we kicked out is regarding lowlife Lucy. If he truly threatened other players, which I believe he did, then why isn’t the NHL doing something about it? Is there a reason the league won’t pursure disciplinary actions? A death threat??????? wtf?

Habs forever!

• Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

remember the Chara incident. Chara threatened to get Max back. Nothing was done and we almost watched a premeditated murder happen on the ice. It was written off as a hockey play…. So if Lurch actually goes after Weisse and Emelin and injures them it should be treated just the same .

Also if you wach the hit that injures Emelin last year you can see Lucic bring his knee up on purpose to hurt him… Nothing done. This guy is a Bertuzzi / Mc Sorley waiting to happen

• Hobie says:

In the regular season, when there’s 82 games, guys like Parros and Murray get to see the ice. Teams want to win but it’s a long stretch and players and coaches are willing to put games at risk to engage in extracurricular stuff like fighting with each other. So they will dress certain players accordingly.

I hope for Weise’s sake that since Parros is on his way out the door (not that he did much) that Bergevin goes out and gets somebody that could potentially step in and cut Lucic off at the pass. Otherwise Weise has a serious beating coming his way, unfortunately.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Gallant in the Islanders.. He’s smallish, but from pEI so it evens out.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

Crisp, Nevins or Tinordi will make life difficult for the boys from the back bay in the next few years.

In the short term, Tanner Glass or Anthony Peluso could help take care of the boys.

• piper says:

The league will pursue disciplinary action if he follows through with his threats.

28. Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

Hypothetical while we wait for our regular scheduled programming to return. MTL CHI Stanley cup based on speed and skill. MTL wins do all teams start re-tooling to get smaller????

• Hobie says:

That’s a very good question. I wouldn’t say smaller but faster for sure. The tide might be turning a bit in terms of building teams following the Bruins blueprint.

It was a crazy night last night, long day today as a result, so I can’t analyse things any further than that. Head still a bit woozy.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Might it be the end of the days of Tom Wilson-Tyler Biggs-Mike McCarrons being drafted in the first round? Teams would suddenly stampede towards the 5’11 speedy forechecker, à la Michaël Bournival or Andrew Shaw.

I cannot click onto the show????

Whats up with that??

30. Hobie says:

Anybody know a good place to catch the game in Tremblant on Saturday?

31. Danno says:

Stu, Mike and Jack.

Thanks gentlemen for the great discussion.

It was worth disabling my Ad Blocker temporarily! :mrgreen:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

32. Mr. Biter says:

Perhaps it may not be wise to ” Poke the Bear” however it may be even more unwise to “Poke the Sleeping Ghosts of the Habs Past” who awoke from a long slumber and reigned down Hell upon the Bear.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

33. Habsfan43 says:

Weaver and Weise were two gems of late season trades, I’m loving how they’re playing.

• BigB says:

All the credit goes to MB!

Habs forever!

• CJ says:

Both have been great. Absolutely great. Funny, Vanek has 8 points but I’ve yet to see him take over, if even for a shift. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but I’d bet the majority of Vanek’s points have all come on the PP.

Amazingly we basically got Weise and Weaver for nothing. The fifth round pick we received from the Isles, which will turn out to be at least 20 places better than where we would have picked covers Weaver. Diaz will be in the Swiss league within 2 years, if not sooner.

We gave up something for Vanek. As it stands, the second round pick is going to be very late 2nd rounder. Collberg is something, but his ceiling won’t be known for at least a few years.

34. WindsorHab-10 says:

Lucic’s threats last night has been a hot topic on all major sports stations in Canada & the U.S.. The response has been unanimous that Milan is a piece of crap whose IQ matches the # on his jersey. Most feel that the NHL has a code of conduct after each series that’s not seen in any other sport(the hand shake) and Lucic broke & dishonored that code. For that reason, they believe the league should fine him. One local sports-radio host went as far as to say that the league needs to suspend & fine him.

What’s funny to me is that the Bruins can taunt, intimidate & bully you but God help you if you do it to them. I think our Habs exposed the Bruins for what they really are & I believe that people are beginning to view them as no more than dirty & whiny.

35. Fransaskois says:

I’m not sure if I’ve processed the victory yet…..

36. jmsheehy19 says:

Haven’t posted in long time, but had to chime in on this subject. I am immeasurably sick of people saying the refs called penalties that they, quote, ” can’t call in game 7.”

Shut up.

Shut up everyone who is saying that, regardless of credentials.

I’m so sick of the “let it slide” mentality of the playoffs.

A penalty is a penalty. Period.

And when that little rat Marchand, who game in and game out, cheats and cheap shots his team to victory, gets called for a snow shower; it’s the right call.

The NHL is the only league that backs up this kind of insanity, and good for the refs for finally calling the Bruins on all of their fecal matter.

• JF says:

Totally agree. Marchand gets away with a ton of crap.  That snow shower looked very deliberate. But the fact that the refs called it and some other things suggests that they’re no longer prepared to let the Bruins cheap-shot their way to victory.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I was sickened by the Bruins cup win in 2010; not because I hate them (I do), but because they cheated and were not penalized for it. The refs and daddy campbell allowed them to win a cup they never deserved to win.

I’m a sports fan: NHL, NCAA basketball and football, NBA, and NFL; I’ve hated teams before, but I’ve never thought a team won a championship they didn’t deserve.

They dive and cheat every game, then complain when anyone else even remotely does the same.

They are the classic embodiment of the schoolyard bully.

They’re tough and rough till someone stands up to them; then they cry like the spoiled children they are.

I’m hoping for a Habs – Hawks final; but regardless, I’ll watch the finals knowing it’s going to be a great display of hockey. If the Bruins were still in, I couldn’t say the same.

• Chris says:

I have a basic rule: if I would have lost my mind had the officials called it on a Hab, then I will concede to Bruins fans that they have a legitimate beef.

Had that been called on Brendan Gallagher in Game 7, I would have literally lost my mind. The snow shower unsportsmanlike penalty gets called maybe 20 times in a season (I would guess lower than that, but let’s go with 20). I wouldn’t give myself solace that the Habs are actually a team that does that a bit too often (both Gallagher and Plekanec are particularly guilty of it at times). I would have been livid that the refs would call such a BS penalty in such a pivotal game.

There are a million things to call Marchand for in a game. Call the actual fouls, like the punch on Plekanec, instead of something that almost never gets called a penalty.

That being said, the penalties had absolutely zero bearing on the game. If anything, they derailed Montreal more than Boston, so Cherry and the other Bruins supporters pointing at penalties can stuff it. They lost because their top guys weren’t playing their best, and Montreal was out-hustling them all over the ice in 5 of the 7 games.

It’s Marchand, so I ultimately have no sympathy for him as a player. But I do have some sympathy for the more reasonable Bruins fans I know.

But I just remind them that they now know how teams playing the Bruins have felt the past 2-3 years. :P

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Eller had it called on hi in these playoffs my man. I agreed with the call.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris, the reason the snow-shower penalty gets called so seldom is that it rarely happens anymore. I think it was two years ago when P.K. did it blatantly, and the league had told everyone it would clamp down on this, and sure enough he got sent to the box. This was when P.K. was still wild and undisciplined, he goofed and paid for it, and I think we got scored on and lost the game as a result. Very quickly, guys stopped doing it so overtly.

Nowadays, a forward charging at the net will make a show, when tangling with a defenceman, to come to a stop to avoid contact, and the ice shavings will fly. The forward will look innocent, angelic even, since all he’s doing is trying to not crash into the tender.

Brad Marchand did a full-on, little punk snow-shower from three seasons ago, right at the start of the period, with no one around him, no contact. There was no reason for him to spray Carey, there was no loose puck in the vicinity, it was inexcusable.

Brad Marchand often straddles the line of legality and fair play, he’ll push things and push them until you think it can’t go any further, and he gets away with it, which is awful for the sport of hockey. On this one though, maybe he was starting to think he’s immune to discipline, that he regularly gets away with murder, so why would this instance be any different. Compound that with the Game 7 factor, and he badly miscalculated what garbage he could pull without going to the box. Good for us, good for hockey.

• Paz says:

I’m sick of anything that has “code” in it.
      You want “code”, watch tape from the 60’s or 70’s when we had bench clearing brawls, wood sticks, players who couldn’t skate, and goalies who really sucked.

It’s 2014, not 1964, and it’s really high time that the NHL figured this out.

• frontenac1 says:

Whoa amigo! There is a code for Walkabouts that I adhere to. Sometimes it is a Modified version but the essence of The Classic Code is still there.

37. Haberoooo13 says:

Wrote it last night but wasn’t it great that Price stoned ratman with 3 seconds left in the game.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

Boyle and Havlat are toast in San Jose.

24.6 Cups

39. SnowManHabs85 says:

It’s funny how Bostonherald.com view the late Boychuk interference penalty on Bournival. “Michael Bournival, who did a good job of throwing his head back as soon as contact was made to get the call…”

Seriously? You can see on Boychuk’s face how hard he cross checked Bournival in the face.

• Habcouver says:

Wonder if the ref’s consider that Bournival had suffered from a recent concussion to make the call.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• kalevine says:

it’s moot. The puck was long gone. The call was interference, and it was the right call

• Haberoooo13 says:

For all their acting shocked when they did get a penalty, Boychuk knew it.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• boing007 says:

In the throat.

Richard R

• Chris says:

Bournival sold the call in that he did jump into Boychuk. But it was 100% a penalty, so I have no issue with it.

Bournival had a terrible dive in the first period, so I was nit-picking him in the 3rd on that play. He can continue to do the latter, but I hope we don’t see another blatant dive for quite a few games…he doesn’t need the reputation of being a diver with his speed. He should draw lots of penalties in his career, but he needs to avoid antagonizing the officials.

40. The Jackal says:

I don’t wanna jump the gun or be too optimistic. That being said, I think the Habs can beat the Rangers and make it to the cup final. But once there? That’s the real scary part – can we beat the Hawks, the Kings, or the Ducks in a series? The best match-up seems to be against the Ducks, then the Hawks… LA? No thanks. Still, we may be good enough to be the best in the East, but for years the best of the West have been better than the rest. Hopefully we can play better than we did against the B’s and shock everyone by winning #25.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

41. Mavid ® says:

wonderful…just wonderful…. :-)

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

42. Lafleurguy says:

GM Marc essentially picked up TWO top six forwards and one top four defenseman near the trade deadline. Game six was the best played game by the Habs said Max after he read my mind. But the exhilaration of course was best with the events of game seven.

• JohnBellyful says:

Laffy, you got it wrong. I’ll let Dupont set you straight in an otherwise good article:

As the series played out, the cost of general manager Peter Chiarelli not replacing Seidenberg at the trade deadline proved deadly. But again, March is a horrible time to fix the roster, especially a void in the top shutdown pairing. No team traded for a true, effective shutdown back liner at the deadline. Chiarelli came up as empty as the rest of his fellow GMs on that score. And confronted with Montreal’s quick-strike attack, Julien ultimately had no way to counter it, his defensemen too inexperienced and mistake-prone and his forwards absent scoring touch.

No hockey on the tube tonight… that sucks.

44. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I’ve always looked at the ice surface as a stage, with players playing parts. I don’t like Lucic’s role, or Marchand’s or a very big handful of other players in the league, but it’s still only a show. Yeah, Lucic acted like a maroon, but that’s his role, he was just a little slow coming out of character.

45. Puck Bard says:

I’d never watched the program. I was at a wedding with Jack Todd about 20 years ago. I like these guys; Stu, Boone and Jack are a fun bunch. And very thoughtful.

46. DipsyDoodler says:

This is going to sound crazy, but I think if Marchand got some therapy (intensive therapy) he might be salvageable. I always thought he was actually a good hockey player. This urge to bother people, maybe it can be conditioned out of him.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

47. Danno says:

Do you think there will be a Stanley Cup parade in Montreal this year?

Boone needs to burst this bubble of ill-advised optimism as only he can.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

48. HairyHabist says:

The play in Habs / Rangers might be too fast for geezers such as Jack, Booney and myself to watch in real time.

49. Chrisadiens says:

Boone with an interesting thought about Marchand. Could the Bruins send him packing? Please send him out west so the Habs don’t have to deal with his crap. I would be overjoyed.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

50. JF says:

A good piece by Arpon Basu on how the Habs took the Bruins off their game:

51. DipsyDoodler says:

Good show today. Boone should be doing colour commentary.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

52. Puck Bard says:

“Thoroughly Sodomized The Bear”: right on, Boone!

Did anyone hear from Jack Edwards?

54. Lafleurguy says:

Beatin’ a dead horse after beatin’ some live bruins:

Everybody said before the series, that the Mantra was, “Don’t poke the bear… don’t poke the bear.”

They didn’t poke the bear, they sodomized the bear.

The bear is in the woods rubbing his sore behind against a tree.

– Mike Boone

• FlyAngler says:

And the bear shit the bed big time in games 6&7 at the Bell Centre & the T D Garden, so it might be a few days before he shits in the woods again.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

56. punkster says:

The Boone stylin’ the chapeau and providing the Boone reverse jinx anti prediction.

Love the Boone.

Release the Subbang!!!

57. Un Canadien errant says:

In other news, RetroMonkey is nailing it. Love that new sig.

And I need to grovel and apologize to Chuck. I didn’t say anything, but I thought his signature was unreasonably optimistic. Premature. I was afraid of what might be, like maybe only one or two x’s before we get bounced.

I’m saying this as I pick black feathers out of my teeth, but I do declare I love Chuck’s signature.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

58. SaugaHab says:

look at the girlfriend on the left….shes not a hockey fan you can tell…she has a smirk on her face….love it.

59. Seda Moss says:

Where’s the video of the show? I don’t see a link anywhere on this page.

60. Danno says:

Bruins’ coach Claude Julien is a sore loser too. He disrespected the game of hockey by not going on the ice for the customary post-game handshakes with the players.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

61. FlyAngler says:

For your reading pleasure- new Dupont piece ….. fresh off of the presses on the Boston Globe website- most enjoyable reading in the aftermath of the Habs victory!

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

62. gumper says:

Hey, happy birthday PK. What a way to celebrate. BTW anyone else having trouble viewing the show? Not “clickable” for me.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

63. BJ says:

From our good friend Sholi2000.com. Its worth a watch if you haven’t already done so. Very well done:

64. AceMagnum says:

Boone looks freakin cool

65. CalgaryHab says:

I felt compelled to watch the b’s/leafs gm 7 fan highlights again – even better this year for some reason. If you’ve never seen it, it’s enjoyable.

66. Frank2468 says:

Lmao at Boone “Don’t Poke the Bear Don’t Poke the Bear no they sodomized the Bear and he’s rubbing his behind in the woods” to funny nice one Boone very nice I was laughing my head off thanks for the laugh.

67. Danno says:

He’s a huge embarrassment. Even to the Bruins. And that’s saying a lot.

His antics with his stick and biceps made him look like a fool. His disrespect to the Canadiens played a big part in his teammates now buying new water skis and golf bags.

Milan Lucic

The Ineffective Man-Thing

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

68. Danno says:

Boone’s been seeing Pernell Karl for fashion advice.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

69. BJ says:

OK 2nd-make that third.

70. UKRAINIANhab says:

1st

71. gigolo aunt says:

Butt hurt Leaf fan?…Or butt hurt Bruin fan?

Doesn’t matter…neither of those teams will play again this season but the Habs will.

Suck it up,buttercup.

72. punkster says:

My girlfriend made over $2000 today and she didn’t even have to leave her living room.

Find out how you too can make a fortune from your own home by watching this:

Release the Subbang!!!

73. The Jackal says:

que?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

74. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Silly wabbit.

75. Prop says:

You just elaborated on one slot of the Bruins wheel of excuses.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

76. kalevine says:

referee fetish?

77. JohnBellyful says:

What, more vomit from retcheverry?

78. Danno says:

Spin it!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

79. Puck Bard says:

Turn me on, Dead Man.

80. Lafleurguy says:

Hey! Nice sportsmanship by contrast by ceedee of Bruinsville last night.

81. HabFab says:

I thought you swore me to silence on that one…oh well!

82. Puck Bard says:

Sweet

“arrest this girl, her hitler hairdo, is making me feel ill”

83. punkster says:

hey, our boy must just crapping his drawers in anticipation.

Release the Subbang!!!

84. HabFab says:

He will be releasing the Brisebois for sure…