Dick Irvin the special guest on this week’s HI/O Show

i

Legendary broadcaster Dick Irvin is the special guest on this week’s HI/O Show, joining columnist Dave Stubbs and sports editor/host Stu Cowan to share some of his favourite stories about the Canadiens from a distinguished career that included 33 years at Hockey Night in Canada.

Irvin, 81, recently received the Order of Canada for “his contributions to hockey as a beloved broadcaster and author, as well as for his charitable activities.” Irvin called Canadiens games on the radio for 29 years and also wrote six books. The last one, My 26 Stanley Cups: Memories of a Hockey Life, was published in 2001. Irvin was also the chairman of the sports celebrity dinner for the Montreal Children’s Hospital for 24 years and has appeared at charity fundraisers in every province in Canada.

On the HI/O Show, Irvin talks about what it was like growing up as the son of Canadiens coach Dick Irvin Sr., who won three Stanley Cups in Montreal, and recalls his earliest memories of the club and the time Habs fans threatened to burn down the Forum if the team didn’t fire his father. A recipient of the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for his contributions to broadcasting, Irvin also talks about his days playing hockey at McGill University, his favourite Canadiens players to watch over the years and his most memorable moments behind the microphone.

And Irvin gives his take on some of the broadcasters he worked with during his career, including Danny Gallivan, Howie Meeker, Don Cherry and Bob Cole.

Next week’s scheduled guests for the HI/O Show are former Canadien Chris “Knuckles” Nilan and columnist Jack Todd and they’ll be answering questions from the HI/O community. If you have a question you want asked on the show, email sports editor Stu Cowan at scowan@montrealgazette.com or put your question down as a comment on this post.

(Photo Sterling Agres/HI/O Show producer)

1. twocents says:

Did the last CBA leave the roster limit at 23 or was it increased?

• Maritime Ronn says:

NHL CBA

” 16.4 Active Roster Size; Playing Roster.
      (a) There shall be a maximum of twenty-three (23) Players on each Club’s Active Roster at any one time, provided, however, that, on the date of each season’s Trade Deadline, a
      Club’s Active Roster may be increased to any number of Players the Club, in its discretion, so determines, subject to Article 50. (HRR-Cap limits) “

2. DipsyDoodler says:

You know we all make mistakes in life. But the one Deryk Engelland made last night was a real doozy. Wow.

3. Easily the best show of the season, I don’t know a single Habs fan who doesn’t like Dick Jr. How the CBC went form Dick to Gary Galley is a Canadiens atrocity!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

4. BJ says:

Just finished listening to the Dick Irvin interview. Really a genuinely nice person. I remember speaking with him a number of times and he was always very welcoming and gracious. A short story, I was covering a game as a photographer when Gordie Howe made his first Forum appearance in a Hartford Whaler uniform. And Dick was doing an in between period interview with him for TV. I wanted someting a bit different and asked him if I could shoot some frames with him and Howe during the live interview, his answer was no problem. I can’t imagine anything like that now, as everything is so controlled.

Has anyone seen Gui!’s shirt on L’A today? Wow!

Just heard on CBC that Stamkos has officially pulled out of the Olympics… old news?

7. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Danny and Dick will always be, to me, the very pinnacle of sports broadcasting. They made a hockey game an epic poem. A classic novel. A grand adventure. Sublime!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

Another day passed… Therrien still the coach. Bergevin still the GM. Le sigh.

9. third generation haber says:

Greg Pateryn, praised for his defensive and physical play, now has 9 goals while playing for a sub-par Bull-dogs team. I wish this guy could catch a break with the habs.

For me, there’s something very exciting about teams bringing in young players and watching them battle to adjust to the NHL. Last season, I was thrilled to watch Gally and Chucky bust into the league.

j.p. murray

10. Alex says:

I have to say this has been my favourite show yet.

I unfortunately did not get the opportunity to listen to Dick broadcast for years and years, but my father, and my grandfather, always told me he was the best in the business. Great stories that’s for sure. How funny is it to hear about him and his father taking a ride around town during the riot.

11. CJ says:

For those following the QMJHL, what’s the scouting report on Marcus Power?

Are there other undrafted players who the organization might target?

12. CH Marshall says:

Not that I have a strong opinion about the Markov thing, but I think MB’s priority should be making the team better at other positions at forward and some D.

On another note, am missing Mtl already. My motto: make money in TO, spend it in Mtl.

13. Shobud says:

I never post on here, but would love to know who was the first broadcaster you remember for the Habs. (Not trying to find out your age lol)

• CJ says:

Growing up in an English speaking family, in Eastern Ontario, we watched Chanel 9, (TQS – I think). We didn’t speak French and I can’t say I recall the broadcaster.

One of my very first memories was of the Canadiens and Flyers when Hextall attacked Chelios. I have fleeting memories of earlier games, but this is the clearest point of reference. Dick Irvin called the game for CBC.

• melski says:

Being from Baltimore, the only way I could follow the team was on radio. Back then the only English radio broadcasts were on Sunday nights (station around 940AM); Danny Gallivan doing the play-by-play, Red Fisher in between the periods.

• Maroons1935 says:

@Melski: You’re right. The station was 940AM, the CBC’s English-language radio outlet in Montreal, and Danny Gallivan broadcast the Canadiens’ Sunday night games (usually on the road). Those were the days when the Habs generally played Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Was a treat to hear him two nights in a row — on Hockey Night in Canada and then on CBC Radio.

• Cal says:

Gallivan. He was the best. Later, Irvin took that spot and was excellent as well.

14. Sportfan says:

I agree with Irvin on the to many teams quote

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

15. joeybarrie says:

Why in God’s name would we TRADE Markov???

We would be ridiculous not to re-sign him.
    Fire the GM ridiculous.

• scarboro_habitant says:

for the same reason the flames traded iginla. and when it happens, it will probably be too late. just like when the flames traded jarome.

• Just A Guy says:

he’s looking for a 3 year deal which no arm chair GM is willing to sign. The 8 defensemen and 15 or 16 forwards is driving OCD people crazy with trade talk. Markov is the easy target I suppose.

I have to admit, I’m not sure how the CBA works when you have 2 players coming back from IR with an already full roster. Captivating stuff I tell ya. ;)

16. Sportfan says:

LOL What a great line “I was the fourth line center on a three line team” I think if I ever got the chance I would ask him to tell me as many stories as he could about the Habs, I would just sit their in awe.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

The Habs just might have some forward prospects after all, albeit still a ways away. I don’t like to tout EOTP but I will give props to RR who is a true gentleman and a scholar. Here’s his article.

18. Sportfan says:

Was Stamkos saying he won’t play a big surprise?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Stamkos out. Marty St. Louis in. :-) At least according to the TSN poll. ;-)

20. ClutchNGrab says:

I don’t care if Markov is re-signed or not. I just want it to be done with respect. I fear an end like those of Koivu, Kaberle or Alfredsson. Three different situations, but I feel the teams that drafted them could have shown more class.

The problem with trading Markov is that if he goes for a pick to a play-off team that pick will be worthless. No team that is tanking is going to trade a pick for Markov.

So the only win-win scenario is to a team that is in the play-offs, is a contender thus willing to gamble, and that gamble be willing to part with a first line forward prospect. Highly unlikely but this is the only trade route I would like to see MB pursue.

My big worry is that MB will offer Markov a mega year signing with a NTC and all the vodka and strippers he and Ovechkin can handle for the duration of the contract.

• SlovakHab says:

The thing is that in this league, GMs traded JVR for Schenn, and Niederreiter for Clutterbuck.
      And Gainey got a 1st plus Gorges for Rivet.

Of course there will be interest for him, if Bergevin decides to move him. And the package would be really interesting.

MB better not screw this up and trade Markey for a 3rd liner and a 2nd round pick. I don’t trust him anymore in light of his past decisions, but hopefully I’m wrong and he’ll turn this organization around.

• third generation haber says:

What we may be able to get for Markov, because there are teams (LA and Colorado) need a PP QB, is a good offensive prospect from the 2011 or 2012 draft.

After July 1, if Markov really wants to be a hab, he can resign for a more reasonable cap-hit. Prior to July 1, we can only offer to match his 5.75- he’s not worth it!

j.p. murray

Historically rental players are traded for draft picks. GM’s want to win and trading a pick which impacts the team 3-4 yrs down the road is far easier to do than trading young roster players or blue chip prospects ready to make NHL. If Markov is traded the jewel in the trade would be a first round pick in my opinion.

• Phil C says:

Every now and then a bluechip prospect gets dealt, like Forsberg for Erat. I would much prefer that to a draft pick in the mid twenties. Otherwise I would keep Markov as a rental you don’t have to pay for.

23. scarboro_habitant says:

tweet: Derek Wills @dogsplaybyplay
    For second straight game, @CanadiensMTL & @BulldogsAHL General Manager Marc Bergevin is in attendance. A great chance to impress the boss!

MB looking to make some more moves? lets hope so.

24. B says:

Hudon with an assist in a losing cause as last place Shawinigan stops first place Baie-Comeau’s winning streak at 10 games.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

Pateryn with the first assist as Dumont scores to tie it at 2. With Bergevin watching, might this be the game that earns Pateryn a chance?

Who would sit for Pateryn? Unless another damn is traded I don’t see why he gets recalled now.

• B says:

I don’t see any call up before the Olympic break. I do see Pateryn as the next D in the queue, but Drewiske should be available after the break giving them 8 D on the Habs roster. Stuff happens though and a healthy D corps can quickly get hit with injuries. I could see Drewiske getting a rehab stint with the Dogs starting any day now (probably after the Habs practices stop for the Olympic break).

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

I don’t think he gets called up right now either, but I firmly believe he is next in line. I still think there are changes on the horizon.

• B says:

Milwaukee scores an empty netter to make it 4-2. Pateryn had 7 shots to go with his goal and assist.

Leblanc’s stats line on the night is all zeros, I hope he did some good stuff that doesn’t show up on the stats sheet with Bergevin in attendance.

–Go Habs Go!–

25. WAR72 says:

Is a 40 goal 40 assist player worth 8 million per season?
    Well, pacioretty and desharnais are making that much combined.
    They are also on track as a duo to be 40/40. Not bad, even though i hate the latter’s size.

Dick irving, loved listening to his play by play. He would call a wrap-around: a turn-around/wrap-around shot! Also he might be the first i heard say- he zigged when he should have zagged…i think.

26. dpeet says:

Any rumour on this

4 hours ago
    Looks like LA and Habs are cooking up a deal…. A big one that is…looks like Markov, Plekanec & a 3rd rounder 2014 going there for Brown, Tuffoli, Muzzin and a first rounder 2014….. Report this comment!

27. Eddie says:

Just to give you a quick update on how Markv is being reported on RDS.

Vinny Damphouse says his TOP priority, if he was GM, would be to sign Markov

Benoit Brunet says trading Markov is throwing in the towel on making the playoffs.

Markov is a very tough file. Very tough.

Tougher than the Penske file was for George Costanza?

• johnnylarue says:

It’s impossible to predict this kind of thing with any degree of certainty, but I’ve certainly seen what happened to this team when Markov was injured in the past and it wasn’t pretty.

He may not be the game-breaker he once was, but I’m with Brunet on this one: trading Markov this season is white flag territory for sure. And I’d wager next season would be pretty ugly without him too.

• Eddie says:

What if part of the package we got back was a young dman ready to play top 4 minutes?

Or what if we got back a young scorer who could step right into our top 6?

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t see a team looking to strengthen for the playoffs parting with either one of those types of players.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• johnnylarue says:

I don’t like our odds of getting such a player for a rental–not even a premium grade A rental–but let’s say for the sake of argument that a contender’s GM is feeling generous:

Assuming Subban is our de facto #1 Dman next year, who on the current squad do you see as a serviceable #2?

Or how about on the UFA market?

I’m drawing a blank, personally.

Best case scenario:

If the team really starts to bottom out (see upcoming road trip to California) and MB officially decides to fold for the season, he could try to reach a new contract agreement with Markov in principle, and ship him off to a contender strictly as a playoff rental. Take the return (which I assume would be a late 1st-round draft pick and/or a decent prospect), and then re-sign The General in July (to something hopefully not exceeding a three year term.)

Best of both worlds! And I could see Marky agreeing to something like that if he felt he’d be a good fit on Contender X.

But to get rid of Markov is to truly Embrace the Rebuild–and accordingly, to suck for real for at least a full season. (IMO.)

• CJ says:

I think Andrew MacDonald is the only pending UFA who fits the bill. Dan Boyle is long in the tooth, while others haven’t shown signs of having a similar hockey IQ.

• CJ says:

A lot will depend on those elements that will remain behind closed doors, namely how many years and for how much is Markov willing to sign?

If Markov is willing to accept a 1-2 year deal at the same dollar value ($5.75 million per season), then a great case can be made to resign him. However, if he is locked into a position in which we is asking for 3-5 years at $6 – $7 million per season, you need to make a move IMO.

Lastly, if the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, to what end are you willing to stretch in order to accomplish said goal? Is Bergevin willing to cast aside a chance to win today, for perhaps a chance to win tomorrow? I say perhaps because nothing in professional sports in guaranteed.

28. johnnylarue says:

Fantastic show, Stu & Co.!

A rare treat to see and hear Mr. Irvin–still loquacious and gracious as ever.

I wish he was still involved in broadcasting in some capacity, although I can certainly understand why he would want no part of it.

29. jols101 says:

Re: Moulson or Vanek – I’m sure there isn’t many hockey fans who wouldn’t want these guys on their teams. I don’t think getting them at the trade deadline for a 1st round pick and good prospects is the way to do it. We aren’t winning the cup even if we add one of these guys. So mortgaging the future for a rental is pointless and I’m sure Bergevin won’t do this; it goes against everything he has been preaching.

However, on July 5th, when free agency hits, signing one of these guys would be great, both would be out of this world. We would no longer be boring to watch.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m not sure Matt Moulson would single-handedly make us that much more fun to watch, to be honest… Moreover, I suspect neither player will be worth the outrageous contracts they’ll be signed to in the post-new-CBA NHL.

Better to wait for Chucky to reach maturity, and pray that he becomes the kind of game-breaker who can turn whoever he plays with into Kevin Stevens.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

With the cap going up and every team desperately searching for scorers, these 2 will command ridiculous salaries. Don’t bother.

30. kempie says:

How the hell did HNIC go from Dick irvin to PJ Stock and Glen Healey?

31. Mattyleg says:

Fantastic HI/O Show.
    Dick Irvin is one of my all-time heroes, and I don’t really have heroes.

For me, he was the ultimate broadcaster. A great colour guy, and an amazing play-by-play guy.

His voice to this day takes me back to being a kid, in my bed, with the lights out, and my ear next to the clock-radio so my parents wouldn’t hear, listening to him on CJAD calling the game somewhere out west.

I still love some of his catchphrases, “and the whistle stops the plaaaay.” and “there’s a gathering of the clan in the corner…”

Great to see him looking (and sounding!) so well.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. frontenac1 says:

Whoa! Malkin undresses Miller. 3-1 Pens.

33. Eddie says:

Two weeks after my dad passed away, I was sitting in an arena watching my son on the ice.

Mr. Irvin sat down next to me. We talked for a few minutes and my dad’s life came up in the conversation. My father had dropped out of high school to go to work so his father, mother, and two siblings would make ends meet.

We shared stories about the past, and in his very modest way Mr Irvin helped me a great deal.

A class act all the way.

34. commandant says:

I’ve always loved Dick Irvin.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

35. GrosBill says:

Thanks for that, HiO.

Was great hearing Irvin talk of the past. The stories he must have. Great guest for the show.

I am sure many enjoyed it.

36. habsfan1001 says:

Great goal by Crosby

37. AceTen says:

Did Diaz score his first of the season last night? Yes
    Did he play the most minutes out of any player for Vancouver? Yes
    Did Vancouver lose 3-1 to a team we beat 4-1 a week ago? Yes

Great strategy Torts keep it up

• johnnylarue says:

Diaz was +1 on the night, meaning that he was not on the ice for any goals against. So if you’re criticizing Torts, criticize him for not playing Diaz MORE.

38. JohnBellyful says:

You know how all the top news organizations have a special feature they roll out whenever a politician makes a statement, the veracity of which begs to be challenged?
    Well, it’s time the Gazette introduced its own Reality Check here at HIO.
    Some of the stuff that gets said on this site just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.
    Take, for instance, the repeated proposition that so-and-so – and usually, its blankety-blank so-and-so – be traded for a bag of pucks.
    Guys, I just don’t think that’s going happen.
    I did a price check just now online. A puck at Canadian Tire – a Team Canada puck, I should add – retails for $4.60. A puck is one inch thick and three inches across.
    Let’s be generous and conclude that when the posters pose these preposterous proposals, it’s a duffle bag they’re referring to, like the Bauer Premium, which measures 22 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches.
    By my calculation, that bag could hold – rats, the abacus just broke and I can’t find my slide rule – let’s say 1,100 pucks. Or 5,060 bucks.
    Call me stupid – again – but I just don’t see any NHL general manager making that deal, trading away a player for a bag of pucks. Sure, it would do wonders for a team’s bottom line and the salary cap, but, really, you wouldn’t ask for hockey sticks to be thrown in as part of the deal?
    And, another thing, has it ever been established there are teams out there who actually need pucks? I’ve not once heard of a shortage playing havoc with this niche commodity market.
    That’s it, there are your facts. You can draw your own conclusions as to how credible these bogus deals really are.
    I’m hoping the Gazette picks up the ball and runs with it.
    I just haven’t decided what its first Reality Check should be.

39. HammerHab says:

Hey folks! Havent been around in a while but there’s plenty of talk about Buffalo moving Moulson and apparantly a dozen teams have expressed interest. Gotta think MB has been in these talks. He’s a proven 30 goal scorer and will provide some offense we’ve been sorely lacking up front. The question is what does Buffalo want/need? They also got a 1st and 2nd along with Moulson for Vanek and have a ton of picks stockpiled at the moment. Do they want more picks or are they looking for prospects? Does something along the lines of LeBlanc, Collberg & a 2nd get it done? Is that worth it? Do we need to move a roster player instead of LeBlanc? I doubt they move Gio….maybe Bourque?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• ffenliv says:

Hard to say with Buffalo. Bad as they are, and considering moving Miller, you’d have to say they want picks. But, at a certain point, picks have a sort of diminishing return, I think. You can have 10 picks in the first two rounds, but you can’t ice all those guys. So maybe you want to balance picks with a few veteran/grinder types to balance it out?

One thing, I think, is for sure: the price will be high. If there really are 12+ teams in the hunt…

• Phil C says:

The price will be high for those guys, I think TSN reported that the Islanders will be looking for three assets for Vanek, any combination of a 1st round pick, a prospect, and a roster player.

While lots of teams will be interested, not a lot of teams will have $7M in cap space by the deadline due to the cap situation this year. According to capgeek, only 14 teams currently project to have $7M in cap space, of which only a handful are in a playoff position.

Montreal projects to have $7.9M in cap space at the deadline,but I don’t think they could afford to give up three assets unless they thought they could sign him.

• JUST ME says:

I sure do hope that we are in the conversation and with all the draft picks and the kids they already have we could be a dancing partner in offering veterans. On our side we need to keep our draft choices and our kids so…

I would not be in the dance if it is just to get him as a rental though.

• HammerHab says:

Yeah I should have mentioned I’d only do that if he agreed to sign here. The cap’s going up next year so I don’t think 5-6mil would be outrageous for a guy who would flank Chucky and pot 25-30 goals a year for the next 4-5 years….I think Chucky is a step above a lot of our guys and they won’t be able to keep up per se…he plays at too high a level. If Moulson can keep up with Tavares he can keep up with Chucky. IMO Moulson is one of the most underrated guys in the league.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• CJ says:

It’s hard not to read between the lines.

Thank you for sharing.

• jols101 says:

I can’t read between the lines as well as you. What are you thinking this means?

• CJ says:

Honestly, if he was going to resign in Montreal, I don’t see the reason to have an agent. He dismissed Meehan and Newport sports under the guise that an agent wouldn’t be required to negotiate an extension. Essentially it was simply to exercise a formality.

An agent, if I’m reading between the lines, suggests that there will be a negotiation required, outside of the existing organization.

I might be reading way too much into nothing whatsoever, but that’s where I’m coming from when I suggested reading between the lines.

• jols101 says:

Cool. I was thinking the same. I really hope they trade him for a 1st rounder and good prospect or a young 21 year old with a high ceiling. I just think it is time to close this chapter. The Gio chapter should be closed as well.

• Eddie says:

I think it’s a very tough negotiation. We play him like a true number one dman in every situation. As such he’s worth a ton of money on the open market and it will be his last contract.

If I’m his agent I want 4 years and 6.5 million per.

That’s a real tough file.

• CJ says:

Agree with both posts. I agree with trading him, the result of his asking price likely to be what Eddie suggested. I said last month I figured Markov would table 5 years at $7 million per as a starting point.

• Habcouver says:

I love Markov for bouncing back from those serious knee injuries.
            He’s played admirably for our team but loyalty really is a thing of the past. Players will go where the money lead them: Markov will be no different. I hope MB does the right thing for the organization and get the most value back for him.

Waiting patiently for #25

I think you may be reaching, but I could be very wrong. Immediately after he chose to no longer be represented by Newport, his new girlfriend applied for a license I believe with the NHLPA to be a licensed agent accepted by the NHLPA etc…. Perhaps this wasnt able to be completed in time for the negotiation of his contract. So instead he gets an old buddy who is now an agent to represent him.

Or maybe he is just hoping Berezin can make sure Markov gets a Queen size bed in Sochi instead of a crib like Team Canada’s players will be sleeping in……

• habcertain says:

either flipping his friend some easy money, or playing hardball

40. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Great interview. I met Dick once and got an autographed copy of his book ‘The Habs’. He was as gracious and kind in real life as you would imagine.
    Too bad guys like that are a rarity in broadcasting now and we have to endure the talking niblet heads that pollute the games.

Any chance Yzerman was hedging his bets when he chose Stamkos over St. Louis and figured if indeed Stamkos indeed wasn’t ready St. Louis was the next option?

No reports, doctors etc…. provided analysis that Stamkos bone could have healed in time for Olympics, seems to me that perhaps Yzerman was playing good poker from the outset.

Granted if he doesn’t pick St. Louis, I’m not sure he is taking good care of the chips he has in Tampa.

• jols101 says:

I’m glad he is not making decisions that are good for Tampa Bay but rather ones that are good for Team Canada. It took a lot of balls to keep St.Louis off the team.

Edit: And I’m not even convinced leaving him off was the right decision. Kudos to Stevie Y for going with what the group wanted though.

• Habcouver says:

Yah, I don’t fault Stevie Y for stuttering through the announcement with that obviously on his mind.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Just a Habs Fan says:

It’s probably just me but I doubt Stevie Y makes all the decisions for Team Canada. He probably listens to some others point of view also. Don’t forget this is a hugely political process….

42. Habcouver says:

Great HIO Show! 20+ minutes interviewing the modest Dick Irwin Jr. was a treat that I wish lasted longer.

Waiting patiently for #25

43. CJ says:

Derek Wills (Hamilton Bulldogs play by play) is reporting that Bergevin is at the Bulldogs game this evening, his second straight game with the team. Great chance for a few players to make an impression. Sven must have left a positive impression last night. Hopefully Tinordi is on his game tonight. It’s too bad Morgan Ellis got hurt. He was starting to play some very good hockey.

• Habfan17 says:

Thanks for the update, I had heard Ellis was really coming around. I also heard that Dietz is struggling a bit, too bad for him. I still think he will be a solid player with the Habs one day.

Habfan17

• Habcouver says:

Is Pateryn close to NHL ready?

Waiting patiently for #25

He has been very good in Hamilton, whether or not that translates to NHL ready is another question. I don’t think he is ever going to be a top 4 dman (like Diaz…..sorry hard to resist) but I think he could indeed become a very serviceable dman in the NHL.

I would love to see him get a callup if possible, or at least have every opportunity next season to make the team.

• CJ says:

IMO, he and Tinordi playing together this year will help going forward. I could see them as our 5-6, with Beaulieu replacing Markov next season.

I will defer to others who have watched the Bulldogs closer then I have to say if Pateryn is ready. I don’t think it’s a leap to suggest Bergevin is with the team to gauge if there are qualified replacements ready should he make a move.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

Perhaps MB is there to see if there is anyone ready should he make a trade? Perhaps a D-man? One can hope there is something in the works.

• CJ says:

Pateryn just opened the scoring with his ninth of the season on the PP.

• Mark C says:

You mean he’s out watching real hockey games, not crunching Cosi and Fenwick numbers in the office?

Fire him!

44. CJ says:

I feel enriched and privileged to have listened to the interview with Mr. Irvin. There is nothing that I could say that’s within my grasp that would do justice to the timeless reporting of one of the game’s greatest on air personalities. A humble servant of his trade, Mr. Irvin’s iconic voice will remain with me forever.

Thank you HIO for sharing such a wonderful interview.

So I have to wonder if Chris Boyle and the other hockey writers who use statistical data as their primary source of evaluation would have hoped the Habs traded Craig Ludwig for a puck moving dman.

Craig Ludwig to me is a very decent comparison to the type of player Murray is. Don’t get me wrong, he isn’t as good, but this guy basically had phone books taped around his shins, blocked every shot known to man kind, cleared the crease like a snowplow down Portage Ave. in a Winnipeg winter storm and took zero crap after every whistle.

Too bad Ludwig didn’t name his childrean Corsi and Fenwick…….

• Habfan17 says:

I had read that Ludwig took a torch to his shin pads to flare them out to cover more area.
      Habfan17

• Marc10 says:

Good comparison. Ludwig was a more effective Dman and played on a much better team.

I don’t have any problems with stats. Where guys spend most of their time on the ice and how good they are at getting on with key aspects of the job is important information to process.

They most definitely do not tell the whole story. How could you quantify the impact on the opposition of Murray wall papering one of their players or getting them to eat a steady diet of ‘Sherwood’ every time they visit Price’s kitchen. How do teammates respond seeing the big man lay out Chara or shoving Lucic around. That’s impossible to weigh.

So making outrageous claims based on a few data points is taking it a bridge too far.

For my money, Diaz was redundant and undervalued across the NHL (ie, he had little to no trade value). It was good to get something for him. Job done. Beaulieu is a better fit and can have his job. Murray is still a good return for the specific match ups we use him in. If we can find better, great. But Diaz isn’t it.

What a treat to listen to Dick Irvin, the other half of the voice I grew up listening to on English broadcasts when I became a Hab fan as a child. It was always so special as a kid when the Habs did get to be on the CBC feed English in Winnipeg and I got to hear Dick and Danny!

What a treasure of information and wonderful memories Dick Irvin is to us Habs fans.

Great job Stu!

47. D Man says:

My wife and I were crossing into Detroit through the tunnel listening to the game on the radio in our 1967 MGB. We entered at 5-2, came out it was 5-3 and shortly after 5-4. Wow, that was great as was the whole series.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

48. AliHaba says:

Thanks for the great view. Dick Irvin is a wealth of hockey knowledge.

A question for Chris Nilan: At the beginning of the 1986 play-offs, did Larry Robinson actually threaten Patrick Roy telling him “NO MORE BAD GOALS”? Could you share the background to this story?

49. FlyingFrenchie says:

Dick and Danny are fondly remembered and sadly missed.
    Now we’re stuck with Bob Cole. Rare indeed is a man who can call the play by play and do analysis at the same time. (Pure Genius).
    In other news….
    Elliot Freedman’s hairstylist jumped off a highrise building at Yonge & Bloor in Toronto following last weekend’s HNIC telecast.

50. JohnBellyful says:

Why won’t the team dump the dump-and-chase and replace it with the flip-and-fly?
    You know, where Subban carries the puck with a full head of steam — no, I’m not calling him an airhead! — and he flips the puck high into the air as he crosses over centre ice.
    The wingers are also in full flight and ready to battle the defenders for the puck on the other side of the blue line where there’s open ice and not in the corner where they seldom win the battle.
    And when the defenders start cheating by making the turn as Subban prepares to flip it, he crosses them up by carrying the puck into the zone, to dish off to teammates on the move, or blast a shot on the net, with the forwards swooping in to pounce on a rebound.
    Maybe it’s not the answer but anything would be better for a team whose arsenal has declined from being a shotgun to a popgun to a blowgun — an offence that simultaneously sucks and blows.

51. Old Bald Bird says:

Thanks for the vid. It was nostalgia time.

52. GL says:

Moulson would be a good 2nd line left winger if we could get him for a decent price he probably has 5-7 good years left!!! Than a decent price for Thomas Vanek he has about the same amount of time left.

Imagine: Moulson Plekanec Vanek

For a 2nd line. you’d see Goals than.

Good 1st line, Good 2nd line a little tinkering with the 3rd line and we would have a pretty good team.

53. JUST ME says:

Always enjoyed listening to mister Irvin . A real gentleman very knowledgable and in a way a traditional figure of the MTL Canadians.

I miss his opinions and can help but to wonder why we have to suffer the Cherrys and Coles instead of him.

54. JohnBellyful says:

Loved the show.
    Never get tired of Dick’s reminiscences, or the voice.

55. MikeHabs says:

Thanks for this interview HIO! Much appreciated.

Habs prospect update: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/prospect-update-jan-27-feb-2/

56. thebonscott says:

I love Dick Irvin, grew up listening to him, wish he was still commentating the games, thank you for interviewing him and allowing us the privilege of enjoying it.

Sincerely,
    jgoulding

57. scarboro_habitant says:

go with neal. he can play both sides.

58. B says:

As of right now, Filppula is the only one of Yzerman’s top players in Tampa slated to go to Sochi. Stamkos, St.Louis, Hedman and Bishop are currently all looking at a couple weeks of rest coming up (Killorn and Purcell too). Yzerman also has a couple of rookies with > 30 points who could benefit from a two week rest in the middle of their rookie seasons. I would mention the rookies names, but one of them would cause my post to be blocked / discarded.

This could bode well for Tampa after the break.

–Go Habs Go!–

59. gumper says:

I just read the article on the previous thread about how the Habs bought into the myth of the stay-at-home defence man when they traded Diaz. That guy has his head so far up his numbers that he’ll never see the light of day. I’d like to see him behind the bench coaching a team with nothing but Diaz-type defenders. You could no more have a team like that than a team with nothing but Murrays at the blueline. The reason Diaz was traded was because the team already had enough players of his ilk and really needed to add some size and sandpaper. You can use numbers to prove anything, but every now and then a little common sense is needed.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

• To be fair, a team of Diazes would beat a team of Murrays every time. : )

But you’re right, of course — Diaz is a better player, but Murray fits our needs better at the moment. I’m disappointed we didn’t get more for Diaz, and I wish him well, but I wasn’t unhappy to see him go.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

60. Cal says:

Thank you very much, Stu and Dave for getting Dick Irvin Jr. on the show.
    It was absolutely tremendous. As soon as I head his voice, I was back in front of the tv watching the ’71 playoffs between Boston and Montreal. The Bruins led 5-2 after 2 periods and the best comeback in Habs playoff history occurred, totally upsetting the Bruins.
    Irvin is a living legend and I will always link him with the best play by play announcer ever (imo), Danny Gallivan. His play by play was like listening to a concert of the best band you’ve ever heard.
    Thanks again, guys. What great storytelling. You, too, Dave.

Thanks to SUMO for being persistent and asking guests to field a question or two from the rabid HIO Commentariat.

61. HabFab says:

Wow!!
    What a treat listening to Dick talk with the guys, truly enjoyable and hope he can come back for another visit. Any chance of seeing Red on the show?

62. zip by says:

thank you HIO for this interview with Dick Irvin

a class act all the way

63. Phil C says:

My money is on Giroux.

64. adadi says:

It sounds like it may be Neal who’ll replace Stamkos. Personally I’d pick St. Louis.

As for Price, I’m sure he will become the No. 1 goalie but I really hope Lu plays the first game. It will give Price time to adjust to the whole Olympics thing.

65. GL says:

Easy Decision – Marty ST.Louis For Stamkos

66. 1010 says:

3 goals in 3 games. How can these guys be in a playoff position? l don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

GO HABS…

67. Kooch7800 says:

Giroux not group….bloody phone

68. Kooch7800 says:

I think it is between Neal and St Louis. Group is not a sniper type. O

I am thinking st Louis but Neal fits the bill as well and is a good shooter as well who can also skate well

69. WindsorHab-10 says:

Stamkos officially out of the Olympics. Will it be Giroux or St.Louis?
    My money is on Martin.

70. Habcouver says:

Stamkos not going to Sochi.
    Sad day.
    Give him credit for healing as quickly as he has.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Ron says:

Hopefully St. Louis lights it up tomorrow night with a hat trick too solidify his pick for Team Canada. He can kill 2 birds with that, make the choice for Stevey Y easy and kill the laffs climb.

• Habcouver says:

I couldn’t agree more, Ron.
        St. Louis has been a class act since the snub. I hope he doesn’t get overlooked again this time.
        I’d bet if Stamkos had a say, he’d endorse MStL 110%.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Ktowner says:

My son played against Stamkos a few times in minor hockey and we were always impressed with him. It is a terrible blow for this young man and I hope that he heals and continues his on his path to be one of the greats.
      Of course not having him in the line up against our Habs is somewhat of a good thing.
      It would be really nice if St.Louis was invited, but the last I heard was that he would turn down the invitation. I hope he changes his mind.

71. Bripro says:

I second that motion, CJ!

72. CJ says:

Hello! Go team Canada!

73. johnnylarue says:

Thanks for sharing!

74. B says:

You had me at “I have no idea”.

–Go Habs Go!–

75. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Can you not try another place to post please? Getting tired of your anti-Habs rhetoric!

24 cups and counting….

76. joeybarrie says:

Actually, its Dick Irvin jr.
    longest serving member of HNIC.
    6 books.
    maybe its my particular age, but Dick Irvin jr. is the voice in my head of Canadian and Canadien…. Hockey.

I would LOVE to hear your examples or any explanation of how he is woefully biased.

Good thing our countries Politicians and Governor General have more sense than you do.

77. sprague cleghorn says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

78. FlyingFrenchie says:

The bus for Toronto leaves in ten minutes!

Mesmerized.

80. adadi says:

Of course Irvin was a homer. What else would you expect from someone who was born in the Habs locker room. And we loved him for it. We still do.

81. Kooch7800 says:

I don’t feel sorry for any player who makes millions to play a sport that they love rest of us have to pay to play

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

82. D Mex says:

No sympathy for the little fellas when they pout and cry ? Don’t let MaxPac hear about this … :lol:

ALWAYS Habs -