Chris Nilan and Jack Todd guests on this week’s HI/O show

Former Canadien Chris (Knuckles) Nilan is back as a guest on this week’s HI/O Show, joining columnist Jack Todd and sports editor/host Stu Cowan.

Nilan, who celebrated his 56th birthday on Tuesday, got a surprise when he was presented with a special Montreal gift: a smoked-meat sandwich.

Among the topics discussed are Team Canada’s decision to start Carey Price in goal for Game 1 at the Olympics and the fact P.K. Subban looks like he will be a healthy scratch against Norway on Thursday.

The panel also answers a number of questions from the HI/O community — including whether the Canadiens should trade one of their young defenceman for a forward who can score — and gives Canadiens coach Michel Therrien a grade on his performance behind the bench so far this season.

Nilan also reveals who he’d like to see in goal for Team Canada — and it’s not Price or Roberto Luongo.

(Photo by Sterling Agres/HI/O Show)

1. Mr. Biter says:

When’s Boone Live Blog gonna start?
    Also I’ll get worried when Putin is seen leasving the Ref’s dressing room with a smile on his face before a game.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

2. sCOTT1243 says:

Such BS that Subban is being treated the way he has been. Norris trophy winner and not a starter for Canada. PK should tell Hockey Canada to stick it up their behind and hop on the next plane outta there.

• Cal says:

That’s exactly what a loser would do.
      PK realizes it’s Team Canada, not Team PK.

• Timo says:

Yeah, team Canada run by racist dinosaurs.

• Luke is Canadian says:

And anti-Ontario, too.

I mean, PK… Duchene… Smith… all Ontario boys. Did you notice that? I bet if they were able to scratch more Ontarians they would.

This team is awful. Such a grossly mismanaged, bigoted and hateful group.

Agree, it is now beyond reproach how completely ignorant the rest of the entire country is regarding hockey. It is time that HI/O be given all the power for all decision making from here on out!

• D Mex says:

You’re going to have to back this one up.
          - NAME the racists that are running Team Canada.
          This comment is slanderous.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Strummer says:

It’s sarcasm Mex.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• D Mex says:

Then let’s see the sarcastic list of names of the racists that are running Team Canada. All in good fun, right ?

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• Mr. Biter says:

So the other 2 Canadian forwards and Smith should also hop a plane? Worst thing PK could do and won’t do it. Imagine the welcome he would get in every Canadian city he where play in from now to eternety regardless if with the Habs or any team. To be picked to play for your country and then leave because you don’t play in the 1st game would make you a loser.
        BTW if he was playing like last year, he’d be in the starting line-up. This year he’s not playing like a Norris Trophy winner IMO.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• CH Marshall says:

Donèt worry . Hèell be playing soon enough.

• habs-fan-84 says:

lol oh man, that was a brutal post.

• Strummer says:

People need to stop with the Norris references regarding PK.
      The Professional Hockey Writers Association doesn’t pick the team or determine playing time of those chosen

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

3. Cal says:

A quick shout out to Stu for taking questions from the Habs mad commentariat.
    Another fun show, as always.

4. jols says:

I’m a little bummed PK won’t be playing but I’m still looking forward to Canada starting their march to another gold.

5. scarboro_habitant says:

womens curling should organize some sort of calendar shoot or something. would def. help promote the sport lol.

6. ooder says:

honestly Russia needed to put more pucks on net and not be as fancy.
    second period was crap, glad they turned it up for the third.
    i honestly prefer these results to blow outs because it keeps people leveled and focused
    only gets tougher from here

7. Mondou6 says:

I was subjected to Mike Milbury for the NBC broadcast of the US game. It’s impossible to get away from that guy. I have no idea how he ended up with a career in broadcasting, he comes across as a no talent bitter old hack.

8. jols says:

Missed most of the USA game. Looked pretty one-sided. How did our boy Patches play?

9. Luke is Canadian says:

As some may know, I love to point out contradictions.

This is the extended 2 minute version of a Procter & Gamble “Olympic Moms ad.” It’s really well done.

There is a shorter version of just a mash up of the hockey component but skipping (or glossing) the Skating, Skiing & Snowboard portions.

January 16th, PK Subban scored an OT game winner in a pretty wild game in which Carey Price stood on his head and kept a Habs team in it, when they seemed intent on doing all they could to lose it.
    PK, after enduring a game full of rough and tumble play and non-stop booing celebrated his goal in the most controversial of fashions, we were told. The dreaded and disrespectful jersey tug.

Many of us had to endure days of Leaf Fans and Media Folks (Mostly TSN and Sportsnet… and probably Don Cherry) drone on endlessly about winning classy and being respectful. That this Dreadful Jersey Tug was the problem with PK.

Well, for those of you who watched the commercial I linked: Notice how the hockey guy celebrates?

10. Phil C says:

Anyone watch the Russian game? How did Emelin and Markov look?

11. Habfan10912 says:

Always enjoyable to see Chara walk off the ice on the losing end.

Russia happy to get that one out of the way. Feeling a little pressure at the beginning. They’ll be better moving forward.

PK healthy scratch. Babcock out of the will. :).
    CHeers all.

12. Chris says:

Valeri Nichushkin was the guy in last year’s draft that I was **REALLY** hoping Montreal would find a way to grab. I knew it was a pipe dream, but that kid is going to be one hell of a hockey player. And exactly the type of player that the Habs needed.

I love the way he drives the net. He did it in the junior tournament, and he continues to do it. As he gets more mass on his frame, he’s only going to become more effective.

• Kfourn says:

I saw him live at the Subway Super Series last year and was blown away at how dominant and big he was for such a young player. I too was hoping that the Habs could grab him, but alas it was not meant to be.

_______________________________________________________
      “It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

I think the whole world could see how big and talented this guy was. I thought he should have been drafted much sooner than he was, but last years draft was indeed top end deep.

• Kfourn says:

Ya, I almost wish that the Habs didn’t have such a great regular season to be able to grab some of that top end talent. Looks like next years draft should be deep as well. In either case at least the Habs are finally stocking the farm up, I have some high hopes for their prospects.

_______________________________________________________

13. Hstands4Hockey says:

Anyone know a good source to track the Olympic hockey scoring? (Live box scores)

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

14. 25Stanleycups says:

And another thing, I vote for no horns, buzzing, sirens, or any racket other than crowd noises after scoring.

The horn at the Bell Center, is annoying like most arenas.

What happened to just enjoying the ambient crowd sounds, much better.

Listen to that Russian crowd, Montreal fans can do much better with another 10 thousand people in attendance.

15. Luke is Canadian says:

Hey Dunboyne Mike!

In the previous thread you asked how I changed my name.
    It’s pretty simple.

If you go to “edit your profile” you can change your nickname.
    Then you select the new name from the dropdown “Display name as” box and save/update the profile.

16. Cal says:

And another game becomes a rout. Alas, Slovenia and Slovakia.

Russia taking control of game now.

18. DipsyDoodler says:

I’m watching the BBC feed of the Russia – Slovenia game. Commentator can’t even pronounce Varlamov, and is barely able to follow the play.

19. scarboro_habitant says:

looks like team russia spent too much time at the bath house last night.

20. Mondou6 says:

Love the big ice surface, really opens things up for the speed/skill players.

The players are so much faster than they were in the 70s and 80s, I think they are rapidly outgrowing the small sized rinks.

21. Danno says:

Could Slovenia pull off an upset?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

22. scarboro_habitant says:

vladimir puti-poo at this game?

23. BJ says:

Slovania gets a second goal. Russia 3 Slovania 2.

24. scarboro_habitant says:

russians feeling the pressure? how about that lol.

25. Danno says:

Forget about US vs Slovakia; at least Russia vs Slovenia is still a hockey game
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

26. sweetmad says:

How many saw Pleks play yesterday,this is the guy who is playing with or against some of the best and oldest players in the world,and I still see people say trade him.I have read that he is getting too old,he was playing yesterday with a guy 10 years older than him and against a guy 10 years older than him,Pleks will be great for another 10 years at least,just get him the line mates,and you will see what we have been missing for the past 10 years.

The Giants in Vancouver are having a Gallagher night on Saturday,they are going to honour him,by putting him into their ring of honour,you can even get to meet him.I am hoping I can go.

I read some one say we don’t have to worry about the Norwegians,what an idiotic statement,if you don’t respect your opponent,you can end up with egg on your face,just because they don’t have a lot of NHL players doesn’t mean to say they are no good,these are a very proud very hard working Nation,and will give it their all.It makes me embarressed when I read this kind of thing,You should never underestimate the under dog,you just might get bitten,and they do have an advantage’s,they are used to the big ice and they play a lot more international games than we do.
    GO HABS GO- GO CANADA GO

• Cal says:

Sorry, when it comes to hockey the Norwegians aren’t very good and don’t belong on the same rink as most of the teams in the tournament. There won’t be any eggs on faces today. It should end up about 10- 0 or worse.

27. I hope Slovakia is really bad because the Americans look really fast. Yikes,,,another one.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

28. Cal says:

And Budaj replaces Halak. The Slovaks suck.

29. scarboro_habitant says:

budaj gets the call.

30. habs001 says:

Canada will need to pile on the goals because of the nature of the tournament…not only do you want to finish first in your group to get the bye but you would want to have the best record of all the teams so in the quarter finals you would be playing the 8th seed team..The odds are that would be Slovakia or Switzerland but if there is a huge upset in the qualifying round for the quarter finals and if you are the number one seed you would play that team…

31. adamkennelly says:

a guy from the local CHL team here in KC – the Missouri Mavericks – is playing for Norway at the Olympics. that is great for him but not so great for Norway. The league is 1 down from the ECHL. name is Henrik Odegaard- he’ll be able to brag that he got walked by Sid and ended the game a solid -8.

32. Old Bald Bird says:

I see, above, that Briere will be a healthy scratch against the Blues. When exactly are we playing them? :)

33. scarboro_habitant says:

some of the panelists on cbc, sportsnet etc have been pumping karlssons tires, saying hes “the player to watch” in the tourney. hes offensively a bit better than PK but PK is better all around. I guess the swedes having a weaker blueline will allow him to be able to showcase himself on the big ice. PK/karlsson are very similar players though with PK being a more physical and a bit better defensively.

34. USA stopped shooting at the logo, could be a messy one.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

35. BJ says:

Slovania gets one in. Russia 2 Slovania 1

36. Phil C says:

Pacioretty with the assist. I think the US are gonna score a lot goals in this tournament.

37. habs001 says:

Hardly any reaction about Rask giving up 4 goals today to Austria..if it was Price the boards in Canada would go insane…

38. BJ says:

USA goes ahead 2-1 on a Kessler’s goal. Russia 2-0 over Slovania after 1.

39. 1-1 USA vs Halak, Jaro is stopping everything, Tartar just made Quick look weak with a nice wrister from the hash marks

Kesler scores with a one timer form the inside the blueline, Jaro down early.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

A Few Thoughts on Team Canada.

1. Canada must win gold. Anything less than that will be considered failure. Canada is the reigning champions and favourites to repeat. It’s also our game, our heritage and the tie that binds the country together. Leave the silver and bronze medals to the wannabes.

2. Norway and Austria are not worthy of being in this tournament. They are basically AHL teams. (Please save the clichés about anything can happen). I can’t wait to see how the headmaster fares as he tries to quickly type out the names of the players on these two teams.

3. With that point in mind, Canada only has to play and win four games to obtain gold.

4. The only way Finland beats Canada is if Tuukka Rask stands on his head. That is a bit of a concern seeing that he probably has been the best goalie in the world during the past 18 months. This is my only true worry this week.

5. PK Subban is not the face of the Hab franchise – Carey Price is. That may be splitting hairs but the Habs would be dead in the water this year without Carey. Take away Price’s three wins last week (when Montreal was on life support) and the Habs would be in 8th place, one point ahead of the pack trying to earn a playoff spot. Hab fans would be in total panic mode.

6. There is no PK Subban controversy. First off, the Team Canada management team made it well known that they would go with four left defensemen. Hab fans need to accept that fact. Secondly, Weber and Doughty were ahead of Subban on the depth chart from the get-go. Pietrangelo gets the nod over Subban based on the Bouwmeester pairing. Hab fans may not like it but I’m sure Hitchcock and Babcock came to that conclusion a long time ago. Lastly, Subban was great last year. This year, he was been very good but not great. Why is he sitting out today’s game? I’m sure that Babcock promised every player that they would see action in at least one game. Duchene and Subban sit tonight, while Hamhuis and St Louis sit the next night. Makes perfect sense to me and is fair to all parties concerned.

7. Canada has tons of depth up front as witnessed by all the controversy over the final few selections. There were 8 worthy candidates and only 3 spots. There really weren’t any clear cut choices for those remaining spots. Having said that, I never dreamt that Kunitz and Carter would be on one of the top lines. I hope everyone chosen can play an east-west style of play.

8. Team Canada is going to miss Steven Stamkos. This kid is the 2nd best player in Canada. Arguably, he may well be the 2nd best player in the world. No one can score goals like he can. Not meaning to be derogatory in any way, but players like Carter, Nash and St Louis can’t compare to Stamkos. Team Canada’s biggest weakness is usually struggling to score goals when they need them the most – something Stamkos does with aplomb.

9. Canada’s players by province of birth – Ontario (11), BC (5), Quebec (4), Saskatchewan (3), Alberta, Manitoba and Nova Scotia (I each)

10. Hockey championships are won by goaltenders, not skaters. Please consider these stats as we head into the Olympics.
    Last seven starts: Roberto Luongo > 0-7, 154 saves on 175 shots, .880 SV% / Carey Price > 5-2, 203 saves on 210 shots, .967 SV%.
    Luongo lets in 21 goals in 7 games while Price let’s in 7 goals in 7 games.
    Enough said.

• Cal says:

Fun list, Steve.

1. I don’t feel that way at all. Any medal will be fine. This “win gold or fail” sounds like jingoistic Nike-isms.
      2. Tournament has to be balanced out. Weaker teams will be included.
      3. Fingers crossed.
      4. I think Canada’s goalie will have to be the answer to Rask. Price can outplay anyone on any given night.
      5. Price thus far is enjoying a “career year”.
      6. Agreed. It’s Team Canada, not Team PK.
      7. No sh*t. Canada can field two good teams. Kunitz is to me the weakest selection on the team (next to Carter).
      8. The Stamkos injury is huge.
      9. IF I were a Newfoundlander, I’d be upset. ;)
      10. Can’t compare Olympic hockey to the NHL. Luongo’s team is a train wreck because of injuries and a poor choice of head coach. Price’s team is almost as bad, with many Habs not performing up to expectations.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Great analysis. However, I will be pleasantly but not hugely surprised if Canada wins this. There are some inclusions that make me wary.

Re. PK: I know it’s not-on for some reason on this Habs site to believe that it’s a mistake not to play PK, but that’s what I believe (if certain members of the commentariat will permit me that opinion). IMO you make a spot for a talent like his and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. It’s a bad decision IMO, and I will hold to this, even if they win without him. What will change my mind is if they play him and he is found to be wanting.

• 24 Cups says:

As I stated, I think it’s a simple case of letting every player play in at least one game so he can have a true Olympic experience. The best time to do that is when you are playing against cannon fodder and the game is not on the line. I imagine that seniority was the basis for deciding who played or sat out in the first game. I’m totally fine with that.

• Eddie says:

It’s certainly NOT Canada’s game when the tournament is played on the international ice.

Advantage Sweden.

• punkster says:

Welcome home!

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• 24 Cups says:

Dave – It’s a tough transition from the southern Caribbean back to the winter from hell. All I can say is that I’d gladly dump my Hab allegiance if Antigua or St Lucia ever gets an NHL franchise. After all, the future of the league is in the sunbelt. I know that to be true because Gary Bettman told me so.

41. habs001 says:

The Habs over the last few years have had the ability to win games where they are out played..This year again they have won more games where they have been out played than where they have outplayed the opposition…The roster they have has shown that they will not beat the majority of the other teams by pure talent…When they get on a roll despite being dominated and pinned back in their D zone they survive and get the clutch goal or save…or the lucky bounce…but unfortunately the opposite also happens when they go into slumps..there have been many games where the Habs lost and they did not play any worse than in games won…this is why the first round for them will be very unpredictable..

Former Hab Marcel Hossa on the ice for Slovakia. Had high hopes for him early in his career with Habs.

43. Propwash says:

I feel bad for the Slovenian goalie.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Finally game day for the Hockey I want to see at the Olympics. Torn between wearing my Team Canada Toews jersey or Habs Price jersey.

Either way, no matter who plays for Canada, Go Canada Go!

45. Cal says:

Anyone have a stream to the US game?

46. Captain aHab says:

Tough, tough day so far…Marianne St-Gelais mis-managed her quarterfinals, giving her the worst qualifying time and a bad position on the start line in the semis….and then François Hamelin falls by himself in the relay. At least the boys all qualified in the 1000.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

47. rhino514 says:

I´m pleasantly surprised how White´s return seems to have helped the team. It´s great that he and Galchenyuk will be back after the break and ready for what will probably be the make or break 8 game stretch of the season; I think maybe 6 of the 8 games are against powerhouse teams, and there are a couple of back to backs in there.
    If we come out of those games with a split we will be ok.

Reportedly, Bournival will be ready as well. I think the time has finally come for Moen to sit. The way I see it, Prust slots back on the right side, and even with Moen out, one of Weise or Bournival slots on the left side and one of them sits. Bournie is the natural left wing, but Weise is more physical. I wonder who it will be.

It will be interesting, I could see Weise sitting before Moen because Moen is the veteran. Having said that, I have been very happy with the energy and skating Weise has brought to the 4th line. Reality is in todays NHL there is almost always injuries, so I doubt for very long there can be too many bodies available.

• Captain aHab says:

I find Moen to be invisible most days…I’d much rather he sit until Wiese tails off.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

I don’t disagree, Moen doesn’t play a game where he is noticed much. He is extremely responsible in his own end, gets the puck deep etc, but when not playing a physical game he becomes very invisible.

I just don’t see a coach taking a veteran like Moen out of lineup for a younger player like Weise.

THe good news is that this is a good problem having multiple options, something we haven’t had in a while.

• scarboro_habitant says:

i think moens days in montreal are numbered.

48. the subbanator says:

I am not a very hateful person… but… Jack Todd disgusts me.

49. scarboro_habitant says:

subban and duchene out for game 1. both of those players should be locks.

50. clutch73 says:

People asking about PK, don’t know for sure but Ryan Rishaug said PK and Duchene scratched. Both play next game. https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug

51. clutch73 says:

The real question that nobody has asked is Where can i get a Hockey Inside Out coffee cup?

52. Say Ash says:

who was max practicing with?

I am going to go and look at the russian curling ladies team again.

Nice outfit today on Andi… yum.

So Subban is sitting instead of Hamhuis? You have got to be kidding me. Eff Babcock. What a a-hole. Man, this makes it so hard rooting for this team.

• Steven says:

My feeling is that he’s just starting the rotation in what inevitably will be a meaningless game. I fully expect Subban to be in the next game, and likely in every game that matters thereafter.

…Of course, if he’s still the odd man out, then that would be a load and being displeased would be completely justified. I’d join you in that.

• Timo says:

What is ridiculous is that Subban is not top 6 to begin with. There are 2 dman on this team who may be as good but that’s it. No other defenseman on this team is nearly as good as PK. Babcock and Jabba and the rest of the hockey canada dinosaurs do not like Subban because he doesn’t play the white way (whatever the F that means) and I hate that one of the most dynamic and skilled dman is not in the top 6.

• Marc10 says:

So special teams are key and Karlsson just lit it up for Sweden, and we’re sitting the one guy that most resembles the Flying Swede on the big ice?

No need to get any kind of cohesion on the PP. Let’s just play a defensive guy. I guess they either know what PK is going to give them on the big ice and are wondering about Hamhuis… At least I hope that’s what it is.

I don’t get it.

• The_Truth says:

It’s not like Canada doesn’t have any dynamic offensive Dmen on the PP. Weber, Keith, Doughty, Pietroangelo. C’mon now.

And with all due respect to those guys and Pk himself, no defenceman has the offensive skills of Karlsson in the world. I don’t even think it’s close.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

And Karlsson is defensively nowhere near as good as Subban. P.K. would also probably be instantly Canada´s second best LD.

• Marc10 says:

Oh I agree. Karlsson on big ice is extra special. I just think you know what you get from Hamhuis and you’re not going to need much of it, whereas with PK, you would want to give him a go at zone breakouts and the odd PP just to see how he gels with all that great firepower out on the big ice.

Leaving him for the second game leaves it too late, IMO. PK is a game breaker with elite speed and superb breakout ability. Hamhuis is a dependable defensive stalwart. I’d want to vet the X factor before going for the conservative pick.

But hey, the coaches should know what they’re doing… I’m not overly worried either way. Canada is a safe bet to win.

56. scarboro_habitant says:

i thought that molson canadian beer fridge in the canadian camp that could only be opened with a canadian passport was just a joke. turns out it really exists. would think it would take quite the effort to keep it stocked. does molson replenish it when it gets low?

57. Forum Dog says:

Thought on Ben Pouliot. Guy is 27 years old with 348 games played over 9 seasons (basically 40 games a year). Obviously he’s had a problem sticking in one place for a full season (his first was with Montreal in 2010-2011), but in the time he has played NHL hockey, he has 147 points (.42 ppg), 75 of which are goals (.22 gpg). He’s also thrown 398 body checks in 297 games (1.35 bcpg), has 16 game winners (.05 gwpg), and is a +41 (+.12 p/g).

Averaged over an 82 game season, that could be 18 goals, 35 points, 110 body checks, 4 GWG, and +10. For a guy making $1.3M per year, those are good numbers. And they’re even a shade better in the games played for Montreal. At least statistically….Which isn’t everything I guess because I remember shaking my head at times when he played there. Anyway, he’s a decent enough player and he’s probably got at least 6 or 7 more years of good hockey ahead. Good for him.

58. RiverviewCanadien says:

Puck drop tomorrow, awesome…Go Team Canada!

I have said this before, folks can harp all they want on some moves the new commander-in-chief has made, but think about this for a second. He turned a really good goalie, into a BETTER-really good goalie at 0 cap hit.

Price is going to do fine, Luongo will do fine. Great options having those two playing for the #1 duty.

To those lamenting over PK most likely being a scratch tomorrow…suck it up butter cups. Subban is not the tipping point for Canada when you have Price and Luongo battling for the net, let alone the D and the F talent they have. Get real, he will play game 2 and show what he can do, if he can contribute, he will play. Personally, I think he is going play…from Sunday on…to the medal round.

All our guys are going to come back either feeling like they have something to prove (for the most part, since we have a diversity of countries represented), or a feeling of victory. The post-Olympic Canadiens are going to be funinteresting to watch…

====================================
    Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
    ====================================

59. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Tokarski stopped 20 of 22 shots as the AHL Allstars beat Farjastad 7-2. Nygren had one of their 2 goals (was a -3 though).

24 cups and counting….

60. Willy the bum says:

I’m so Canadian when I find female athletes in baggy winter snowsuits and tuques very sexy.

61. CHicoHab says:

Price and Luongo most likely will have shutouts. Cant see either of them facing many shots. Our offensive power house will be the talk in the next few days. Who starts Sunday doesnt really matter at this point. So just enjoy the 15 goals for and 0 against in these first 2 games.

“take your time and hurry up”

62. WindsorHab-10 says:

Anyone having an issue with Babcock making Subban a healthy scratch for game one?

63. SUMO says:

Thanks Stu, Knuckles and JT. Great show guys. Looking forward to next week’s edition.

64. Willy the bum says:

So, how many points does the Tomas Jagr line has so far?

65. CJ says:

College Basketball fans;

Looks like Pittsburgh might interrupt Syracuse’s perfect season tonight. Hopefully the Orange fight back, but are losing the battle of the boards and are making some uncharacteristic mistakes with their ball handling.

66. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Best Olympic sport so far…women’s curling.

67. CJ says:

No disrespect to Mr. Nilan and Mr. Todd, but I would certainly enjoy another instalment featuring Dick Irvin jr.

Not sure about anyone else, but I can’t wait to see team Canada. I’ve enjoyed the Olympics, the pageantry of sports, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t only partially interested thus far. My partial interest will be replaced by full attention once the puck drops tomorrow.

Looking forward to talking hockey again tomorrow. Cheers, CJ

68. ont fan says:

Looks like its Prices net for the tournament starting against Finland Sun.

69. DipsyDoodler says:

Jack Todd’s least favorite player NHLer is Phil Kessel?

What did Phil Kessel do to deserve that?

• db says:

Agreed, I’m indifferent on Kessel.. the guy can score that’s for sure. Chara is still my least fave.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Kadri I would understand as he is an a#%hole but Kessel? Todd is great at finding reasons to hate guys. If he was a Toronto writer he would hate PK.

• Max says:

Kessel is Mr.Awkward and looks like a doofus.He also plays for the Leafs so there are lots of reasons to hate him for sure

• frontenac1 says:

Kessel is a pussy and a drama queen. Can’t wait till he gets decked.

• D Mex says:

Kessel has shown that he is All-World when it comes to dishing out 2-handers from behind, which seems cowardly to me.
          > WHO was it that you wanted to see decked yesterday ?

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• frontenac1 says:

Tim Peel. The Ref.He is a Gunsel.

Hey front the cdn ladies decked the ref today before the breakaway goal.

• D Mex says:

OK, I had to look that one up.
            Here’s what I found ↓

gunsel (ˈɡʌns ə l)
            — n
            1. a catamite
            2. a stupid or inexperienced person, esp a youth
            3. a criminal who carries a gun
            [C20: probably from Yiddish genzel; compare German ganslein gosling, from gans goose 1 ]

No idea what most of this means, but it doesn’t sound good at all :lol:

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• frontenac1 says:

Burly. Those were some good looking refs!. I wouldn’t deck them amigo. Maybe rub them up against the boards a bit.
            Saludos!

• adadi says:

Kessel is a whining coward. Prust got lambasted for an unintentional spear a few games ago. Jessel did it twice at the beginning of the season and got suspended once. He can skate and shoot but he’s a coward.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I agree, he’s a leaf for one and he’s soff! Also that stick swinging kicking nonsense against Buffalo at the beginning of the season comes to mind.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry but if you had a 6’7″ 275 lb goon in front of you who wanted to break your face, you would use your stick to defend yourself too. Anybody who says otherwise is either a UFC fighter or a liar.

• D Mex says:

Disagree.
          He not only delivered a few 2-handers to Scott, at least one of them was from behind while Scott was engaged with another Laff player.
          It was SO cowardly I had / have difficulty imagining that he could go back out there and face NHL fans and players – maybe he thought he was showing a bit of truculence …

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Everybody is all talk. It is easy to preach from behind a computer. I’m sure you would have dropped your gloves and got your face caved in…yeah right. I have ZERO sympathy for a guy whose job is to hurt people, not play hockey. Scott got what he deserved. That is why many members of the media didn’t blame Kessel for his reaction. They knew that if they were in the same position, they would have lost it too. They are not hypocrites.

• frontenac1 says:

Yup. No excuse for that. Pussy.

• frontenac1 says:

The Media? The Toronto Media? If that had been a Hab with that cheap cowardly shot, you don’t think it would be different?

• D Mex says:

And you are the moral high ground ?

If I were a pro athlete measuring 5 foot nothin’ and paid what Kessel is paid, I probably would have avoided pretending I was a ‘tuff ‘ guy with a monster like Scott, and focused on scoring some goals to help my team get off to a strong start early in the season.

Not sure who you’re calling a hypocrite but, from here, the language coming from your keyboard looks pretty ‘ tuff ‘ as well. Unless you’re here doing comedy …

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• boing007 says:

Brian Burke gave him a bag full of truculence before he left town.

Richard R

• Sportfan says:

Weird I’d have picked Kadri if it had to be a leaf or Phaneuf

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• CJ says:

Kessel is far from my favorite player, however I give credit to any athlete who overcomes such a significant illness. He doesn’t illicit the emotion that Darcy Tucker, Bryan Marchment or Rick Vaive has for me.

Chris Neil is at the top of my list of current chief punks.

70. bwoar says:

#4. Eh, I can take Nilan. Crumbs.

“thoroughbred”

71. monmick says:

So close to the podium…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

72. habs_54321 says:

boy did karlsson ever look good for sweden today unbelievable player

73. habcertain says: