PuckCast, Vol. 5., No. 3 [Podcast]

placeholder-Puckcast

It is a month into the NHL’s regular season and the Canadiens are in first place in the Northeast Division and survived the first part of a tough week on Tuesday with a 2-0 win over the Vancouver Canucks. The next test is Thursday night in Boston against a Bruins team that is four points behind the Habs, but have four games in hand heading into action on Wednesday night.

In today’s PuckCast, Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone and Kevin Mio discuss Carey Price’s play, the struggles on the power play, scorers who are not scoring and Andrei Markov’s return to action.

The PuckCast | Download it now
RSS | Add the PuckCast to your RSS reader
iTunes | Add the PuckCast to iTunes

1. HabFanSince72 says:

i the worst signing decision in NHL history

Rejean Houle / Mario tremblay.

2. NightRyder says:

That happens all the time.

Having Halak succeed, Price fail and be correct is more important than the team. Those aren’t fans.

I’d like to point out that I consistently still cheer for Mr. Gomez, even though he is somewhat putrid.

3. gumper says:

One more GA for St. Louis tonight, and their season total increases by 50%!!

4. NightRyder says:

Fleury is up and down like a yo-yo and people are worried Price is washed up at 23.

5. NightRyder says:

Really?

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Penguins just blew a 4-2 lead over the Bruins, now even Brent Johnson is letting them down in nets.

7. NightRyder says:

So he didn’t win with crappy goaltending and he didn’t win with great goaltending.

Hmm.

Thank God we’ve got such a genius teaching us how to win in the playoffs.

8. Jordio-oh says:

go halak go. best goalie in the world. hahaha

9. ABHabsfan says:

Remember when the Habs were eliminated from the play-offs and some fans trashed Jose Theodore’s Porsche? Even though he went on to win the Hart and Vezina? It would be something like that. Of course that incident may not have been hockey related…

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Brent Sopel, Brian Campbell and Niklas Hjalmarsson, oh and two-way forwards including Toews, Bolland, Hossa, Sharp and Madden.

The best defence you could find in the NHL last season, bar none.

11. Bill J says:

8-1 – No kidding! lol

12. NightRyder says:

If you don’t mind, I’ll just shoot my thoughts to you first, so you can edit them with your personal Pollyanna program.

That way no one’s feelings will get hurt.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Ouch, that’s the worst beating I think this season.

Kovalchuk without a point with NJ again, was his choice the worst signing decision in NHL history? He fits with the Devils the way Matt Cooke fits with a Lady Byng trophy.

14. Bill J says:

Hmmmm

Not my reaction.

BUT… What we could see…

“Call up Mayer & drop Price to waivers!”

lol I’m kidding, but I bet we would see it…. By at least one poster.

15. InGaineyWeTrust says:

You’re very much welcome. It always makes me feel good to help those less fortunate than me.

16. Bill J says:

At least the Habs only lost to Columbus 3-0

In hindsight, I prefer the score we had…. Yikes…

17. TomNickle says:

There’s only one other explanation.  That they are Habs fans but that they’d rather be correct with negative assumptions than watch the Habs win.

Either way.  I feel bad because I don’t wish Halak well, I don’t want him to win a Cup and I have no interest in him winning the Vezina.

That’s not to say that I want him to fail.  But I’d rather see us win a Cup and Price win a Vezina.

And yeah, with all of the bullshit that Price’s has had to deal with, I’d much rather see him succeed.

18. NightRyder says:

What would the reaction be here if Price and Auld both pooped themselves in a massive loss like that?

19. NightRyder says:

Doubles are fun.

20. TomNickle says:

Every member of the St.Louis Blues is in the minus category.

21. InGaineyWeTrust says:

My favorite band.

And they were solid. Sounded great. Older, certainly, but in peak form and there aren’t any complaints to be had.

22. NightRyder says:

Thanks for the pointers. I’ll be sure to take them to heart.

23. Bill J says:

It balances the playing field a bit more.

That being said, some members who where in hindsight rather unfair to Price in the off-season have laid off him.  Deservedly

There are a few who remain skeptics, but I fear a chunk of those are not really Hab fans.  It is the only explanation I come up with when I think “Why would they want Price to fail, or throw Halak’s success in our faces for some reason ?”

24. NightRyder says:

Anti Niemi won the Stanley Cup last year.

What’s your point?

25. joeybarrie says:

They are gonna have to pull Conklin and put Halak back in…. 8-1…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

26. InGaineyWeTrust says:

Not that I think Martin is by any means a great coach, you can’t fault him because the Sens rarely ever showed up in the playoffs, and he certainly couldn’t rush out on the ice to stop pucks from squeaking through Lalime left, right, and center. It’s pure ignorance to bring up a coach’s playoff winning percentage and ignore all factors involved in it.

Further, no one actually said that he knows his stuff. Just that he’s trying to teach a specific style of hockey to prepare for playoff hockey. At least learn to read before you decide to sarcastically jump down someone’s throat like a condescending child. Perhaps even present arguments rather than just kick up a fuss; it’s much easier to take someone’s posts seriously when your eyes aren’t rolling into the back of your head at the sight of them.

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Now 2-0 FLorida. (in the 2nd, not the 3rd)

Broonz losing 4-2. SOG are 34-20.

28. Chuck says:

I mean, 2-0. Powerplay goal late in the 2nd.

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

29. Chuck says:

Florida still up by one… 5 left in the 3rd.

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Jacques Martin spent most of his coaching career in Ottawa and he never had a goalie worth a damn the whole time he was there. Patrick Lalime is not big-time goaltending.

31. habs001 says:

the way the team played yesterday is the formula for success for the habs based on our scoring talent….now we do need the pp to start scoring at a better pace and maintain the pk….the scorers we have will start scoring but that will not really increase our goal production as some of the non scorers who have contributed will just go into their usual 14 game scoreless streaks…we have very limited scoring talent but in todays nhl this seems to be a pattern…just scoring 4 goals every 15 games makes you a 20 goal scorer but even that is a huge challenge for many forwards….

32. TomNickle says:

Haha.  Whoops.  I wish I could say that I feel bad for him, but I really don’t.

The golden egg is crapping the bed.

33. NightRyder says:

Halak’s save percentage plummets to .911.

The horror!

34. Bill J says:

I also loved them in the 90’s – how where they ?

35. NightRyder says:

One bad game won’t cause a ripple in St. Louis.

It is cause for a riot in Montreal.

36. NightRyder says:

Ahh yes, because his .452 career playoff winning percentage means he really knows his stuff.

The “I think we should let them outshoot us 51-19 every game and hope like hell Halak bails us out” playoff strategy really brings to mind Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake and Al Arbour all rolled into one.

37. secretdragonfly says:

Loved them in the ’90’s – haven’t heard anything since then.

38. hab_skill says:

Off topic but… Anybody watch Soundgarden on Conan last night? Anybody LIKE Soundgarden?

39. joeybarrie says:

I haven’t been watching too many Blues games. But it seems to me Halak has had 2 really bad games and the rest really good games. 3 shutouts??? I think, and then 2 bad games. This will hurt his sv%…

Keep in mind that I am sure the St. Louis faithful wont be calling for his head tomorrow. They will chalk it up to a bad game and be done with it.

Sad to see though. Bet you next game he gets a shutout. If they let him play again.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

40. fbkj says:

they all have bad nights

jaro will bounce back

being said

lol @ t3h trollz

41. avatar_58 says:

6-1 Columbus??

Suddenly losing to them doesn’t feel so bad.

You know what JM is doing.

He is teaching his players how to win in the play offs. He will teach this style of hockey all year. Defence first and foremost from all that get on the ice. If you do not take care of your defensive responsibilities, you don’t get ice time.

43. punkster says:

Hmmm…can’t find a scoresheet on line.

44. avatar_58 says:

Did he get an assist? I thought he did too but I didn’t hear his name called for it

45. punkster says:

Louis bangs it out from behind the net.

Edit…oops, after the assist then he takes a penalty

46. HabFanSince72 says:

Flashback of the Philly series.

47. showey47 says:

Halak pulled,conklin now in.

48. dre1744 says:

4 goals on 14 shots  man even that crappy Goaltender we kept here in Montreal hasn’t let in  4 on 14 shots!!!!!!!!  Halak  it alot!!!!!!!!!  hahahahahah

49. db says:

Reasons why I love this site:

#47  I generally don’t have to click the links to know what they’re about.

50. geo_habsgo says:

I see no reason why O’byrne can’t split time with Hal Gill. At least give him a chance to prove that he at least has something in the tank. I always liked him and think he can play. He isn’t as much of a liability as people think he is. Certainly not any more dangerous that Spacek on an off night..

51. ZepFan2 says:

Have you seen the second goal?

Price would have been crucified here if it had been him.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

52. mike g says:

Hey, just having a little fun….

I don’t wish failiure upon the guy, on the contrary actually.

I’m just really anxoius to see how all the multiple personality members on HIO react to this.

Because I’ve seen them bash Price when he allows a goal on a 5 on 3 in the 1st period, and were trailing in the game.

They’ll blame an empty net goal on him, and say he was weak on it.

Just throwing some of the crap back into their faces, but in a nice way, you know…

Just for fun though, no name calling…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

53. mike g says:

It has to be…

It’s impossible. The trolls will all melt away and vanish forever if it’s true.

Unless they’ll start making excuses that maybe he’s tired or something, or “due for a bad period”.

But legends and automatic 1st ballot HOF’ers don’t have those types of games, now do they?

LMAO.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

54. secretdragonfly says:

Unfortunately, living in the GTA, my copy will likely feature Kadri instead of Subban :(

55. avatar_58 says:

C’mon guy, don’t do this.

56. Malreg says:

You mean the holy Impenetrable One allowed 3 goals in 10 minutes? Must be a typo.

57. WestHab says:

I enjoy the puckcast. It’s the antichamber on weed. Imean that in a good way.

58. avatar_58 says:

Anyone have a bigger image? You know, being a PK fanboy I kinda want it….:D

59. fbkj says:

yeah it will, still, jaro got pulled first

60. mike g says:

ATTENTION!!!!

BIG, BIG news alert here!

Click here to see what it is…

Wwww…..wwwwwhaaaaaatttt??!!!

Who’s that??

Must be a mistake in the score right?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

61. VancouverHab says:

Gionta & Gomez: 3 Stanley Cups, age 30-31. 61 mil for 5 years (approx.)

Sedin Sisters: ZERO Stanley Cups, age 30. 60 mil for 5 years

So for $200,000 a year for the five years we get three Stanley Cups to the Sedin’s zero.

I think that this is the very example used by the Oxford English Dictionary to exemplify the word “bargain”.

62. kempie says:

I thoght they were pretty good.

63. Mikey_39 says:

Lol what rebuild? In order to rebuild you need to have draft picks

64. NightRyder says:

Luongo pooped himself in both elimination games, making their efforts moot.

One year, they were both excellent in the last game. The next year, they got their doors blown off thanks to Luongo and it didn’t matter.

I’d take them both in a heartbeat.

Wouldn’t you trade them straight up for Gionta and Gomez?

Because that’s what we’ve hitched our wagon to for the next half decade or so.

65. Bill J says:

LMFAO!!!

Yeah winning feels good…

66. CBrady12 says:

OH SO NOW YOUR ACCUSING ME OF STARTING SH*T EH WELL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WANT A WAR YOU GOT ONE BUDDY WHY I …hahaha just kidding!! man what a nice couple of days its been

67. TomNickle says:

How are they doing in elimination games?

That was my point.

68. TomNickle says:

Not that it’s a popularity contest.  But I’m fairly confident in saying that if you surveyed every HIO member and asked who the bigger jerk is between you and I.

You’d win by a landslide.

There’s a first time for everything!

69. CBrady12 says:

Lol guys, please, don’t flatter yourselves, I was just kidding around…no need to be rude…were all friends here

70. Bill J says:

Sorry wasn’t trying to “jump in”

But am enjoying the civilized nature of this thread tonight lol.

Just wanted to nip that “flame war” in the bud fast lol

71. Everlasting1 says:

You give a new definition to the term knee-jerk. You’re just an all out jerk on this site.

72. NightRyder says:

I’m pleased to say that I’ve moved past Gomez’s salary as a prime sticking point and on to the fact that he’s just not that good. So that gives me lots of new material!

Some days I come here to engage in intelligent, well-reasoned and researched debate.

Other times I like to stir the pot a little.

It’s generally the newbies and/or the Pollyannas who take the biggest umbrage to my positions.

73. CBrady12 says:

Lol…I know, I was just teasin ;)

74. Chuck says:

5 goals on 12 shots in the 5rd period. Who spiked Brent Johnson’s water?

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

75. Say Ash says:

Naw, much better than facing a team after they get blown out. Pleasant dreams, Bruins.

76. habaholic68NJ says:

Bruins with 5 goals in the third come back from a 2 goal deficit against the penguins.  I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

77. Psycho29 says:

I heard the same thing before the Canuck game yesterday…

78. TomNickle says:

What do you mean become?  His denial about the capabilities of his team will be the deciding factor in making the Bruins a perennial Cup contender.  At one point I thought Chiarelli could screw it up with a lack of depth on defense.

But hell, the guy has exponential depth at forward and he can trade for some defensemen whenever the hell he wants.

Their second round pick was better than most of the first rounders(even though he is requesting a trade at the ripe old age of 18).

79. SeriousFan09 says:

Brent Johnson’s flash of greatness over? 6 GA including 4 in the 3rd. Hopefully the Bruins are a bit worn out from the comeback for tommorow night. Penguins are vexed by their goaltending it seems.

Let’s hope the Leafs don’t suck too badly, can you imagine the Bruins selecting in the Top 5 again? Burke would become an honoured builder of the Boston Bruins.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

So is it true that reports that his lock on the Vezina Trophy are premature?

81. Everlasting1 says:

Are you re-hashing the post season AGAIN? You’re an insufferable hack troll.

82. TomNickle says:

Halak is a good goalie.  But people quickly forget that this same goalie would have been the deciding factor in us not making the playoffs had we not gotten a point against the Leafs in the final regular season game last year.

He was borderline terrible in the last two weeks of the season.  This same goalie allowed 9 goals on 50 shots in the first 3 games of the Capitals series and let in some very bad goals in a series where we controlled play against the Flyers in all but one game.

He’s human.  A good but inconsistent goalie.  I hope some more people start to realize this.

You have got to be kidding me!!! au qu’un rapport mon ami

Dude. I am satiring Loverboy. You are plagiarizing them.

Here’s another thing. I don’t visit your blog.

I used to be beautiful? Who cares what you think. You’re entering troll territory lately.

84. TomNickle says:

Sergio(Everlasting1)

Halak got traded because Price is better.

Ouch.

85. HabFanSince72 says:

This is how the Leafs beat us. They know they can’t touch us as Canada’s team. They know they can never equal our record. They know they can’t even compete with the current less than stellar version of the Habs.

But they can make our mortal enemies stronger by giving them top draft picks.

It’s all a conspiracy.

86. Bugs says:

1) aucun rapport

2) a radio excerpt being played in the background isn’t plagiarizing; using another’s idea is

3) that’s your right and I heard you the first three times, Hopefully, you’re repeating it again because you’re simply forgetful and not childishly vindictive

4) no, you used to be beautiful for being able to tell when I was being unreasonably offended as I was in this case

Which is why I’ve been telling you to take it easy.

Also the rationale you use to conclude with your troll comment doesn’t hold water. Trolls say you’re no longer beautiful and we care what they think? … See, it doesn’t work. No, you just threw that out there to somehow make YOUR position seem more “true” and “pious”. Unfortunately, it has no rhetorical value and seems again but a rather cleverless puerile safeguard, not to say gratuitous barb.

One must be careful not to degrade one’s logic when losing cool. Again, suggest you take it easy, Double-H.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

87. HFX-HabFan says:

Well, I reckon Slovak won’t be posting on here for a while…

88. PrimeTime says:

Holy Sh/t ….didi you hears the fans on Kovy II after his SO flub??? wow…

89. TomNickle says:

No he’ll show up.  He’ll come in and either begin touting the Blue Jackets as the best offensive team in the league or he’ll pull a Sergio and blame everybody other than Halak who puts on a Blues jersey.

90. Everlasting1 says:

Funny. I never heard Price’s name come up on NHL.com, ESPN, TSN about early Vezina candidacy. Maybe he made the top 3 stars of the week list? Nope, not that either.

Anything else I can throw in your face?

91. king ddd says:

May be we should give this guy another shot to solve our PP issues.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=543103 ;)

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

92. Bill J says:

I will look forward to reminding him that Price only allowed 3 goals against Columbus. :)

93. ZepFan2 says:

Clay, I’ll wait to say anything until you take someone like Slovak or xtrahabsfan to task when they come here after a Halak win and gloat.

Fact is, you never say anything to those trolls, just stick up for their right to post their “opinions”.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

Pffft. Pittsburgh sucks. How does a team let in 5 goals in one period let alone a game?

95. Chuck says:

The only thing worse would have been for him to lose the puck AND fall over while doing it.

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

96. TomNickle says:

Yeah.  And those analysts are usually as accurate as you are.

They thought Thomas would repeat as a Vezina winner last season?

They thought Taylor Hall would walk into the NHL and be an impact player.

They thought that the Habs would fail and that Price was doomed in Montreal.

They thought the leafs would make the playoffs.

They thought the Sabres would repeat as division champs and that Myers would be a Norris candidate.

They thought Plekanec would get $7 million on the open market.

They thought, they thought, they thought.

This is why they play the games Sergio, something that you might not realize is that if all of the predictions were destined to become true, there would be no need to play the games.

He’s inconsistent, and that kills you.

97. SeriousFan09 says:

Penguins are a house of cards, if their Top 2 picks aren’t all playing and aces, they struggle.

98. TomNickle says:

In fairness to them they don’t have any goaltending and Boston is the best team in the NHL.

99. Everlasting1 says:

They were shut-out. You’re sounding like a Leafer.

100. The Kid says:

We don’t like you. Your arguments aren’t going to change our opinion nor will they bring your beloved Halak back. Like the Sopranos brother; it’s over, find a new show.

101. Bill J says:

Slovak cheers SOLELY for Halak, thus the reference to the better goaltending against the same team.

You sound like an idiot.

Why should I care if you think I’m a Leafer ?

102. Everlasting1 says:

That’s silly and you know it. They report and update who the present leaders are, no more no less. Get some perspective.

One bad game and he is inconsistent? I can set my watch to your predictable rambling on here.

103. CERF says:

how awesome is mr.$100? .. well hes this awesome!!

104. Everlasting1 says:

Oh no! Some bloggers don’t like/approve of me..I feel so alienated.

Who’s trying to change your opinion? Think I care?

105. FB says:

The king Halak let in 4 on 15 shots tonight as St. Louis lost 8-1 to Columbus

106. Bill J says:

In the words of a not-so-great man.

“aye aye aye!”

Bugs – why not lay off your snooty attitude, and recognize “talking-down” to posters, has generated some animosity towards you.

I agree with HH, and lately you have been borderline trollish, perhaps I would just label it properly as ignorant.

Just my opinion.  You can get offended and go ballistic on me, or you can just come on here and enjoy the Habs and be nice to the other posters…

Again just my opinion. ;)

107. SeriousFan09 says:

Prospects Update:

AHL: For those of you who missed it, Bulldogs got walloped in an 11:00 AM Start (No idea how that was worked out) in a 5-1 loss, Robert Mayer again struggled in nets allowing 5 goals. David Desharnais had his 5th goal of the season, Palushaj assisted. Desharnais has scored at least a point in each game this season.

OHL: Jarred Tinordi’s LDN Knights dropped a 5-4 game to the Windsor Spitfires, Tinordi with no points, one minor for tripping and an even differential.

QMJHL: Not a solid indicator for the Q, the league’s top prospects dropped their 2nd game of the Super Series to the top Russian prospects in a 4-3 loss. Louis Leblanc had an assist and a minor penalty. Q prospects ended up outshooting the Russians 49-22 including 25 shots in the 3rd period but couldn’t tie it up.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

And you sound like someone who’s butt is hurting today. For sure if Halak had shut-out Columbus you’d be here bragging about it. I don’t see you have any comments about Price’s stellar performance last night. Just sayin’.

One more thing. Bill J is a Habs fan through and through and a damn good one at that. He has class and you’re just crass.

109. avatar_58 says:

Bwahahahahahahahaha

ahahahah

ah

110. Everlasting1 says:

Am I Slovak? I’m about the team. I said you sound Leafy.

Don’t pollute the water.

If you didn’t care you wouldn’t be here. And you are alienated and it hurts you.

112. NightRyder says:

Apparently, the Russkies have become converts to the Jacques Martin coaching system.

113. Habs Proud says:

A hundred million really isn’t THAT much…..looks good on Lou and the Devils, only place it could be better would be the Rangers…..bury that one in the minors!!!

114. NightRyder says:

As Sweet Lou is clearly losing his marbles, think he’d take back Gomez?

115. Say Ash says:

49-22, eh? Who’s got dibs on the next Tretiak?

116. Harani says:

From @dtolensky on Twitter: Just a reminder that there are still great tickets available for the Maple Leafs’ Skills Competition next Sunday. Tix are $25.75 & $19.75. LOL!!

“It must be love!”

117. Everlasting1 says:

HardHead, I don’t get butt hurt from ONE loss. I don’t brag, I comment. I don’t expect you to discern the diff. You must’ve missed my comments on Price’s play thus far.

118. RJB says:

I just can’t comprehend why a Blues fan would spend his time on a Habs blog.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

119. Habs Proud says:

Never know, might even swap straight up for Kovy II tomorrow

120. linp says:

It is still autumn and the leafs continue to fall.

121. Chuck says:

Well, that’s not good either. Saw the replays, and one of them looked like something that you’d see in a Timbit game.

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

122. Everlasting1 says:

I can’t comprehend why you care. It’a hockey blog.

123. RiverviewCanadien says:

So who shit in the sandbox first here tonight?

124. RiverviewCanadien says:

I thought at one point, it became a soccer blog…for way too long. Lighten up, sheesh.

125. SeriousFan09 says:

Today’s Interesting Stat: Ryan Miller, last year’s Vezina winner and the other two nominees Ilya Bryzgalov and Martin Brodeur have started 35 games so far, they’ve lost 25 of them.

Carey Price has started 14 games, he’s won 8 of them. Just saying…

126. Everlasting1 says:

I care about what exactly? I’m deeply wounded yes lol

Don’t pollute the water.

No. It’s a Habs blog. It’s not a hockey blog nor is it a Blues blog nor is it a Halak blog. It’s a fan site dedicated to the Habs for Habs fans. You and your posts are an unwelcome intrusion and your purpose to post here is intent with malice. You enjoy being an incognito jerk.

128. punkster says:

Betcha the $19 ones are reds and the $25 are greys.

129. NightRyder says:

I’d do that in a heartbeat.

I’d even wait about 20 games before I started snivelling about how Kovalchuk and his albatross of a contract needed to be sent to Hamilton!

130. Seps says:

LOL

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

131. observer says:

Leafs in serious trouble after losing Phaneuf. Habs/Bruins game #1 of the biggest rivalry this year starts tomorrow night.

132. sholi2000.com says:

I can’t believe I joined the “Click Twice Club”

Sigh, bed time.

They Call Me Shane

133. Seps says:

Is that a joke?  Boston is not even close to being the best team in the NHL.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

134. sholi2000.com says:

I enjoy the Laffs losing, however I do not enjoy what they are building in Boston.

Here’s to kicking their tired butts all over the rink tomorrow night.

They Call Me Shane

135. Courny12 says:

Man, it’s gotta be tough if you’re Ron Wilson and the Cats go all truculent on yer guys!

136. Bill says:

Lots of incredibly stupid posts tonight, more than usual even.

137. Courny12 says:

Phaneuf will look upon this injury as as thing of beauty!

138. sholi2000.com says:

Trust me I know.  I took Brodeur and Bryzgalov as my goalies………..

They Call Me Shane

139. Courny12 says:

This site peaked in its first season and has been downhill ever since!

140. observer says:

the only ones who lost their marbles concerning gomez are the dynamic duo gainey and gautheir who lou and sather – i said sather were lucky enough to find the 2 most dim witted GMs in professional sports history. The laughing stops right here!

141. Everlasting1 says:

Gee, the last time I checked there are many posts re other games/players throughout the league. Not to mention posts pining for a plethora of players they’d like on the Habs. I’m seeing many posts bashing they’re own players too. Why do you care/ so preoccupied in what I have to post? No intent oh jealous one.

142. Bugs says:

RDS showed the goal average of the Habs when the Kid’s in net from last year to this year.

With him in net last year, avg was 2.37

This year, it’s 2.35.

We’re scoring LESS and we’re winning.

Please consider that from now on, the old “last year we lost cuz the guys wouldn’t score for the Kid” argument is TOTALLY and COMPLETELY debunked.

No. THIS year, the difference is he’s makin the big saves.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

143. Courny12 says:

Gotta stop posting here and lace them up. Actually, it happens quite often at pickup.

144. observer says:

like phoenix last year looks like columbus is the one bettman wants propped up this year. habs followed their required orders last week – they did NOT show up for the game.

145. Seps says:

I’ve never heard of a Vezina trophy awarded in November…  Isn’t it handed out at the end of the season, oh wait, then your beloved Halak can’t win it cuz he gets tired, just like in last years playoffs.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

146. Courny12 says:

The NHL is a glorified house league Bugs. Just get to the show healthy and all things are possible with this roster. (Came damn close last season!) The players are right. We go mental over each game, but at the end of the day they are forced to play 82 games to eliminate 13 hockey teams and the Leafs. I’m takin’ the pledge and refuse to “B” until we are eliminated from a playoff spot.

147. Seps says:

It’s because he gets tired.  He’s a good goalie don’t get me wrong but he gets tired too easily to be a top-notch starter.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

148. Castor says:

And Oshie broke his foot!

149. Bill J says:

“Well, I reckon Slovak won’t be posting on here for a while…”

This was the original post, Tom addressed it & added a poke at you.  The world does not revolve around you.

150. light_n_tasty says:

Right, but dontcha remember, last year Price played all the HARD games, while Halak got all the easy ones.  Now Price gets the easy ones too.

151. light_n_tasty says:

Yet it’s more popular than ever, so…

152. Bugs says:

Aw, hell…

I guess there ISN’T any discernible difference in his play this year then.

I tried, Kid, I tried!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

153. christophor says:

Carey was emotionally affected by the earthquake in Haiti.

Halak only cared about advancing his career.

How cold can a guy be?

Considering this, we obviously kept the right keeper.

154. Bugs says:

That’s what happens when you kick azz too hard.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

155. Say Ash says:

That’s not that bad – my buddy’s got Fleury!

We just heard you made another save
    And we’re hoping that’s the way you’ll play
    Up to now that is what we see
    It’s not yet half the season’s games
    We heard you stop them when they try to score
    Well track that puck that’s what your lookin for
    As you watchin out through those screens
    And it makes you shut the door

How do you like his posture?
    How do you like his glove?
    How ’bout the way he stop those pucks?
    and his rebound control?
    How do you like that scrimmage?
    How ’bout his hybrid style?
    How do you like game’s in the books
    and the stats so far compiled?

The kid was hot last night
    Whoa so hot last night
    But Boston’s to play tomorrow?
    The kid, was hot last night
    Whoa so hot last night
    But Boston’s to play tomorrow?

157. Bill J says:

Even when it was a soccer blog, it was Hab fan “friends” so-to speak.

EverlastingNoobee1 is just plain annoying, and you know it.  You can choose to be annoying too or have good constructive conversations & thoughts.

158. Castor says:

You remember in 2002 I think it was when Denzel won best actor and Halle Berry won best actress at the Oscars? Everyone was saying how it was the first Black woman to win an leading actress Oscar and only the 2nd to win best actor? I remember thinking “We will truly have evolved when we no longer say things like ‘this black actor won’ and just say ‘this actor won’.

Eventually, no matter what Halak and Price do, we will stop talking about the two of them as competitors and just appreciate their play. They play on two different teams, with different defensemen in different leagues for goodness sake. Can’t they just be goaltenders rather than rivals? (except, of course, when they play each other)

Halak is a good goaltender who will have bad games. People here saying “I told you he’s a chocker” are feeding the flame (and know very little about the NHL).

Price is a good goaltender who will have bad games. People here saying he is going to get shut-outs every other night are feeding the flames (and setting themselves up for disappointment.)

I was a big Halak guy, but he’s like a girl I broke up with (or broke up with me) I wish him well and I hope he does well.

I’m a HABS guy. So now I’m dating Price…so to speak.

We will truly have evolved when we treat them both just as players.

They are just goaltenders. For different teams. They aren’t arch enemies. Let them be. Focus on the Habs winning.

159. Bugs says:

Disagree. We have no intentions to stop laughing at you, Obie.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

160. Bugs says:

Nice edit.

We already did that at Habsbros Central.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

161. Bugs says:

Buddy’s rippin off Our Services!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

162. ooder says:

i agree with your post man…

you don’t need to bash one to appreciate the other.

halak and price being is is not mutually exclusive.. they are both good goalies who will obviosuly have bad games sooner or later

——————

88 is the new 23

163. JIMVINNY says:

It’s not his first.  He gave up 4 goals on 20 shots to Nashville.

164. Everlasting1 says:

Where did you hear that? All they’ve mentioned was an ankle injury, but not sure of the severity.

165. andrewberkshire says:

Gotta say, on the third goal against Halak tonight, his team-mates completely *** the bed. He makes a highlight reel save and they just stand around watching until Nash buries it a couple seconds later. Lazy.

166. forskis says:

Switching to the Leafs for a second…I hope Tyler Bozak has learned his lesson…when he was a college free-agent that many teams went after, his agent said one of the signing conditions was that Bozak would be with the NHL team and not start in the minors….he has the size and skill (according to his college stats) to be a very good centerman but by rushing himself straight to the NHL and skipping the minors…he has shot himself in both feet and has done a lot of damage to his career and NHL reputation.

Also…this is Year 3 where several Habs fans have claimed that the Leafs were going to be a better team than the Canadiens, a team with a better identity, better players, better physicality, better in a lot areas.  I want to know what went wrong…on paper, the claim could be believed to some degree.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

167. Number31 says:

Bad game by the whole team. Oshie breaking his ankle right at the end doesn’t help. Not only was it stupid, but it was useless as the BJs were going to get an interference penalty for a poorly timed clean hit that caused a scrum he decided to jump into and fell backwards with someone while his leg was the wrong way…

168. andrewberkshire says:

Davis Payne said he broke his ankle and it would require surgery.

169. Bill J says:

Well said.

Remember that & call it out then when you see “certain” posters gloat when Halak succeeds.

Tonight, was a good example of why those people should put it to rest once & for all.

They read the posts tonight, but only a “few” dared speak up.  Thus a nice civilized conversation.

;)

170. fbkj says:

because the world was holding its breath what was going on at habsbros

and by world i mean NOBODY

171. Courny12 says:

Reefer became more popular over time, but was it better?

172. Say Ash says:

Can’t remember.

You should be flattered not jealous Bugs.

Let me paraphrase from below:

The funny thing Bugs is that you using the Kid is what made that Loverboy song run through my head so I couldn’t resist. I would so not plagiarize HabsBros. I wouldn’t even quote you guys. I mean I’d have to actually read it first right? Which I don’t. So get over yourself. I was doing something that I thought was complimentary which was running with your the Kid reference.

174. Courny12 says:

Me neither!!! LOL!!!

175. Everlasting1 says:

Pathetic post.

176. HabFanSince72 says:

Let’s introduce a new feature on Habs I/O. Similar to SF09’s prospect update, an update on players we might have signed, could have signed, were rumoured to sign,  etc … to see if we made the right decision.

Alexander Frolov (Rangers)

GP = 15. Goals = 2. Assists = 4. +/- = -1.

Projected totals: 11 goals, 33 points.

Salary = $4M

—-

Dan Ellis (Tampa)

Starts: 7. Won-lost: 4-2. GAA: 2.11. SV%: .924. Shutouts: 2.

Salary: $2M

—-

Sergei Kostitsyn (Nashville)

GP: 7, Goals: 1, Assists: 0, +/-: -3.

Projected totals: 11 goals, 11 points.

Salary: $585,000

177. andrewberkshire says:

I know he’s older, a bit slower, a bit smaller and much more fragile, but god damn I’d rather have Saku Koivu on this team than Gomez.

178. smiler2729 says:

Halak got S-Halak-ed. So what? All the Halakian trolls are quiet, that’s the good part. They have the Blues… (cue the Muddy Waters riff)

The funny thing is that Bugs using Kid is what made that Loverboy song run through my head so I couldn’t resist. I would so not plagiarize HabsBros. I wouldn’t even quote them. I mean I’d have to actually read it first right?

Your post has 0 comments

180. Everlasting1 says:

Talk about adding injury to insult.

181. andrewberkshire says:

Sergei actually has 2 goals and 1 assist in 9 games.

182. HabFanSince72 says:

(Sorry, Yahoo had the wrong info.)

Alex Tanguay (Calgary)

GP: 14, Goals: 4, Assists: 5, +/-: -1.

Projected totals: 24 goals, 54 points.

Salary: $2.5M

183. fbkj says:

weve been through this, the fact that french was his fourth language makes him linguistically retarded

184. fbkj says:

the fact he pimps it in his sig is giggleworthy

at least myspace has hot chicks

185. andrewberkshire says:

Heh, I’d still take him back.

186. andrewberkshire says:

GWG!

187. SeriousFan09 says:

There’s a reason I drafted Saku in multiple pools this year, always there for a clutch moment. 20% of his career goals are GWGs.

188. Bugs says:

What post?

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

Aw geez. Here we go. The 11 looks weird on him.

190. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t care about the number much, but I’d like some productivity.

191. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve got him in 1, and I foolishly sat him this week as it’s a weekly pool.

192. Bugs says:

Flattered to be so shamelessly and maliciously plagiarized? Oh. Ok, um… thanks.., I guess.

And you’re not paraphrasing; you’re repeating.

But Double-H? Take it easy. Ain’t no big thing, aw’ight?

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

Plagiarized means I read something and repeated it. I never did that. I don’t visit your site. Show me your link. I want to see this ripped off idea.

I am paraphrasing my post from below.

194. light_n_tasty says:

He’s older, slower, smaller, more fragile, and better.

195. Bugs says:

Again, you’re makin a big deal outta this for nuthin. It was more than two years ago and I KNOW you didn’t “plagiarize” it. I was just being me, Double-H. Take it easy. But here’s the link anyway. Two things: 1) cute but far from our best efforts and 2) Charlie Chaplin’s birthday.

To paraphrase is to say the same thing differently. You copy/pasted. That’s not paraphrasing; that’s repeating. You can discount my word if you’re a mind to but I would advise you not to hold the same debate with a dictionary. Cuz you would lose.

All that aside, Double-H, what happened to you? You used to be beautiful.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

196. Clay4bc says:

What a stupid thing to say. Are you so jealous of Halak that you have to do this after his ONE bad game this season?

Let’s put it this wat…after letting in his 4 goals last night, he is still among the elite goalies in the league.

You’re just pathetic, really.

__________________________

Code: We’re shaking up the lines to add offense.

Translation: I’m pulling names out of a hat and hoping it works.

197. Clay4bc says:

I’d even give up a first round draft choice to do the deal. Worth it to get rid of him and his loathsome contract.

__________________________

Code: We’re shaking up the lines to add offense.

Translation: I’m pulling names out of a hat and hoping it works.

198. Bill J says:

No – pathetic (since you feel it is so easy to label people) is defending a player who no longer plays here.

Pathetic is gloating about his success and calling the Jaro trade a bad one on a daily basis.

JARO does not play for the Habs, and some of us could care less what he does.  It’s the PAST.

People need to start moving towards getting over him.  He is not coming back!

199. Clay4bc says:

You’re right, Bill – people need to start getting over it. Especially idiots like the OP here. Funny how you all condemn what you call “trolls”, but you can’t recognise real trolling if it bit you in the backside. His was an obvious troll looking for a reaction.

And in case you’ve missed it, I have been very happy with – and vocal about – Price’s play this season. And I still think the trade was stupid.

__________________________

Code: We’re shaking up the lines to add offense.

Translation: I’m pulling names out of a hat and hoping it works.

200. Bill J says:

Clay – I’m sorry – but I do not accept your logic.

Your implying that it is OK for people to be negative on a daily basis (why ? Price has played VERY well, and has NOT p00ped the proverbial bed) and make a point of using Halak’s success this season (not last night granted) and throw it in people’s faces.

Last night, allowed some of the rest of us an opportunity to call out that type of posting.  And it felt cathartic TYVM.

If you saw people trashing Jaro on a daily basis, I would see your P.O.V. – I hope you can see how some of us are sick & tired of the select few who still persist to trash the trade.

201. Clay4bc says:

At least I have logic, Bill.

I literally laughed when I read your line “I hope you can see how some of us are sick & tired of the select few who still persist to trash the trade”!

Wow…so now trashing a trade amounts to trashing a player who was not involved in the trade (Price)? How is that logical, Bill???

I hate the trade, Bill. I am happy Price is doing well (so far), and he has nothing to do with my dislike for the trade. My dislike stems from namagement making a poor, knee-jerk reaction and trading away someone who may be an elite player in the league for nearly nothing. Without shopping him around. Eller will not be a star, Bill. But the Blues had so many youngters who likely will be, and it was stupid to settle for Eller and change. That’s why I hate the trade. Again, that’s nothing to do wirh, and nothing against, Price.

__________________________

Code: We’re shaking up the lines to add offense.

Translation: I’m pulling names out of a hat and hoping it works.

202. PrimeTime says:

True story I posted this morning after listening to J.S comments on his teammates efforts…..After Sat’s loss to Buffalo, many Laff players were partying “like rock stars” at a very upscale club called Muzik until closing. A friend of mine was with them in the VIP “Bottle Service” section. I asked who was there and she wouldn’t say…I don’t think she knows many anyway lol. I know she got home with another friend @ 5:00am.

203. TomNickle says:

Habs lose = Price’s fault

Blues lose = Everbody other than Halak’s fault.

204. Propwash says:

Funny when any Habs game is lost, it’s all our goalies fault……

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

205. OneTimer says:

Oh I get it, it’s the injuries now! Hahaha what a moron…

By the way, re: “pretentious and phony”, we’re only responding because dipsticks like you pollute HI/O with Halak talk in the first place. Go away, and I guarantee Blues talk will decrease.

One more thing: which team hasn’t allowed more than 3 goals in regulation again?

206. Everlasting1 says:

Alas, the Blues were due for a bad loss. That’s one aberration they’d like to erase from the memory banks. The D were completely inept. They are a banged up bunch..Perron, Polak, Colaiacovo, Jackman, Winchester, all out with injuries. The biggest concern is Oshie..did not look good getting off the ice.

For those who claim they don’t care to follow the Blues, Halak you sure seem to be watching, and quite vocal when Halak doesn’t stand on his head. So pretentious and phony.

Don’t pollute the water.

Maybe he shouldn’t have taken that 5rd sip.

208. Propwash says:

LOOOVE seeing the Leafs fall…

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

209. Bill J says:

Wow that about sums it up … lol way to simplify it!

210. TomNickle says:

Gotta keep it simple for the simpletons.

211. TomNickle says:

Gotta keep it simple for the simpletons.

212. Everlasting1 says:

Search the archives and find a post where I’ve stated any such thing. Fail.

213. NightRyder says:

We’re so dumb he told us twice!!

214. TomNickle says:

LOL.

I didn’t lump you into that category.

215. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s really bad that we’re to the point that we hope 18-year old kids turn into draft busts so Burke’s wheelings and dealings don’t end up meaning a Bruins dynasty. They had two picks in the 2nd round as well, Jared Knight with the TOR pick is doing fine I’d add, they can afford mulligans in the draft.

Ottawa’s improving I’d mention, I agree with your overall assessment of their roster but like I said, Clouston gets blood from a stone.

216. NightRyder says:

What a blowhard he is. One of my favourite old Burkie tales from out this way.

A camera crew wanted some file footage of him watching a game for a feature they were doing. So, knowing the camera’s going to be on him, he untucks his shirt, musses up his hair and starts grimacing like it’s Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

See Canadian hockey fans, the man cares – just look at how rumpled he gets!

217. NightRyder says:

Goalies are up and down all the time.

Osgood is a Cup winner, then a bench-warmer, then shuttled off to nowhere, then a Cup winner, then putrid again.

Fleury is a stallion, then in the minors, then a stallion, then can’t stop a beach ball.

Thomas is a Vezina Trophy winner, then a backup, then unbeatable.

Niemi wins a Cup then turns into the goaltending version of Scott Gomez.

The list is endless.

The difference between the goalies these days, with their athleticism, coaching and equipment is much, much smaller than in the halcyon days of franchise guys like Dryden, Parent or even Roy and Brodeur.

So our choice of the bigger, younger, more athletic goalie with the championship pedigree over the smaller overachieving Cinderella story – based on having either one of them for five to 10 years – remains a sound one. And even if he completely falls on his face, finding an adequate replacement (see Michael Leighton, Brian Boucher, any of three dozen guys) isn’t that tough.

But goaltending has never been our biggest problem, so constantly fretting over it, or gloating when Halak sucks or Price had a good game is plain silly.

If the rest of you can just join me in my Gomez Must Go crusade, this will be a much happier place!!

218. PrimeTime says:

Ahhh…always consider the source. Many of the so-called hab fans also wanted Burke to save our franchise. How’s that working in TO?? (not as good as it is /will be in BOS)

Prejudice + No objectivity = No credibility. The result: Partisan warfare is on the rise, and truth is on the decline

219. christophor says:

I’m also here if she calls.

220. TomNickle says:

You’re hilarious.  You point to Price’s inconsistencies as a reason to suggest he might not succeed over the long haul this season but Halak’s past isn’t fair game?

You’re insufferable.

221. nick says:

Can’t help to feel a little bad for AK.

He had a bad season last year, everyone knows it. He comes to the team this year focused, firing on all cylinders and putting up excellent numbers with Plekanec… Only to get stuck on the same line as Gomez.

Right now, OByrne is better off playing in a top 4 pairing in Hamilton than he is sittin on the bench in MTL. At the very least it gets his trade value up if your thinking of moving him.

I don’t understand whats going on in JM’s head… Keep guys like Gomez on game after game after game despite the performance, and then keep Eller nailed to the bench with the exception of all but 4 minutes last night. He just seems underconfident in all of the younger players, and over confident in all the older players… It’s almost as though he’s holding the clipboard a little too tight. One loss and their out of the playoffs, so he sticks with his elders who he feels will come through…

222. showey47 says:

Problem is,obyrne would never clear waivers. He would probably be picked up by the first team who gets a chance to take him. I do agree with you about AK though.

223. HabFanSince72 says:

Everyone agrees that Gomez and Gionta are struggling. But the idea of benching Gomez is preposterous. Eller has potential, but he is not better than Gomez at this moment.

And you can’t send O’Byrne to Hamilton. I think only Eller, Picard and Subban could go down. Maybe Pyatt. Anyone else would have to be submitted to waivers.

224. Danno says:

Final – Felines 4-1 over Laffs

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

225. Bill J says:

He now joins Guy Boucher as another “former” lock for their respective trophy’s who where with the Habs Org. last year.

NHL engravers are pissed, they had the plates all prepared.

226. Everlasting1 says:

There were COUNTLESS posts about the game before I said a word. All because of me? lol Pretentious art thou.

227. Julie H says:

JM really did give AK the short end of the stick in terms of lines, didn’t he? I hope he’ll keep getting stronger and eventually move to a more “motivated” line
    “I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

Julie. Are you getting any pictures to put on the Summit page.?

229. OldGrover says:

Yeah, some team would take a flier on a big stay at home d-man with potential – there’s lots of teams with weak D and he’d get snapped up.  He’d never see Hamilton.

I don’t think loosing him for nothing is good for Montreal.

230. sholi2000.com says:

I feel a move coming, and OB will be back in the lineup.

I also had nachos for supper so it could be indigestion.

UDAMANSHOweyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

They Call Me Shane

231. zak says:

So BG hired JM to develop tthe young guns.Put Nomez on waivers and hope he doesn’t clear. What a waste of money.At least if JM keeps AK, Plec and Cammi together  they would have two scoring lines and two 4th lines.

After listening to the puckcast I started thinking about the power play. Something about the Habs depending on goaltending in the past and how a few of us started indicating that this was a crutch. The PP over the past 3 years has had it’s own crutch, the cannon from the point. So this is my suggestion. No MAB, no Streit, no Souray, no way. No more dependance on this type of one dimensional player. The team needs to get creative and start popping goals in on the PP without the need for the blast from the blue line or the tempatiion to put a player like Weber there who can blast one but is weak in most of the other aspects of the defensive game.

233. Mark C says:

It’s not that Montreal was dependent one a strong shooter from the right point. Rather, having that shot opened passing and shooting lanes for the four other players on the ice. Markov’s backdoor play relies on having his check play off of him. Kovy’s half-wall play worked because checkers had to play high to protect the point shot, or overpay Kovy, which opened the point shot.

You are quite right David, play making and rebounds produce more goals. Shot from the point is nice if it is low and on net. They are playing pitch and catch with the goal tender trying to blast it through people.

Sell it north and pass it west. Play making, power play and our face offs need work yet. But it will come.

235. mike g says:

Are people really feeling bad for AK?…

You guys really think HE’S getting the short end of the stick??!!!!!!!!

I’m sorry, but when it’s 4 years that the kids been grabbing his behind, HE should be feeling bad for not producing and not improving this team.

With a consistent, focused, and producing AK, this team would be sooo much more dangerous. But, because he often falls asleep for a weeks at a time, his line is left playing in a duo instead of a trio.

Where was he last year in the playoffs, apart from his hat-trick vs the Caps? Where was he in the other 18 playoff games?

And now, WE have to feel bad for HIM??!!!

This is CRAZY!

A 10th overall pick, who we threw $9.75 mill at, who was drafted over so many extablished superstars in the league (some who have won a Cup already), and who hasn’t develloped into a reliable NHL scorer, YET WE HAVE TO FEEL BAD FOR HIM THIS YEAR?

Wow….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

236. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s stil a Hab, he’s showing the right stuff and he’s stuck with a non-productive player when he and Pleks were lighting it up to start the season. We’re allowed to be in favour of the guy when he’s doing his job but doesn’t have anyone to play with really. AK and Pleks should not have been broken up.

Sooner or later, you’ll have to get over MTL not selecting Mike Richards.

237. habs365 says:

put him in pittsburgh on crosby’s line and see if he developes into a reliable NHL scorer….there’s no one on the Habs that can come close to crosby….that’s what ak needs to be a good scorer….and what ever you do don’t tell me pleks is anywhere near the player crosby is….pleks is a good player but not a crosby calibre and never will be.

the Rocket said so.  ( this guy was a real hockey player )

238. punkster says:

My take is somewhere between the two of you. I was an AK disparager last season, couldn’t stand the lack of focus. This year I’m a born again AK supporter, like his fire. So my take is that JM has put him there to spark something. The guy is back to banging, crashing, looking for openings and generally looking to take advantage of any opportunity. Pairing him with Gomez gives Gomez a different type of “go to guy” from Gionta. Maybe that’s the spark Gomez needs. Bottom line I think it’s a compliment to AK and not a punishment. Once things start to click and both Gomez and Gionta are producing I think AK will be back with Pleks.

239. ed lopaz says:

The fact that Martin broke up Ak and Plekanec is totally bizarre.

It was SHOCKING how effective Ak had become – and then BOOM!! – like Martin had missed those games, he goes ahead and breaks them up.

Write it down.

Because each time I mention how CRAP Martin is as a coach, I’d like you to have this example on file.

Here is another example of a pure crap coach.

Eller – who has tons of pure skill (AND A GREAT WORK ETHIC ON EVERY SHIFT!!), is BENCHED after he makes 1 bad pass last night.

This is exactly what Max Pax was talking about.

Its great that the Habs won, but if the price to pay is killing Eller’s confidence every time he makes a mistake,

maybe he would be better off in Hamilton with a real human being as his coach.

I can’t stand Martin’s arrogant style – 1 rookie mistake and your benched.

I’d like to ask Martin – hey, big shot, maybe you should be benched for all of your mistakes; and how many cups have you won in THIS LIFETIME??

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the Habs management.

240. SeriousFan09 says:

JM completely outcoached his opponent last night I’d point out.

Eller has been benched, but that’s a coach’s option when he wants to run a particular game. He chose to play match-up and wanted to run a shortened bench against a tough opponent. He was also on the ice and was a big part of AK getting the OT marker to beat PHX not too long ago. Martin’s bringing him along slowly and so far I haven’t seen Eller’s confidence shaken in any game he’s played. He didn’t have an easy road to get into professional hockey coming out of Denmark of all places but he has and he’s not going to let a few short nights in his first NHL season be the end of him.

Pacioretty said the right thing the wrong way on the radio (with Marinaro conducting a bad interview no less with leading questions), at his stage in development, the AHL is where he should be because he never got the proper development the first time around for certain skills.

Today at practice, Eller was tested as a PK player. JM knows Eller’s talent level and likes his instincts and he will continue to bring him along but at a pace he determines appropriate.

241. mike g says:

This is not about Mike Richards…

This is about the most hyped-up Habs player of the past 5 years.

AK plays when he wants to, he’s proven it year in and year out, I don’t have to show the facts.

He’s gone 6 games without a point, don’t give me this BS that because he’s not playing with Pleks he CAN’T PRODUCE IN THE NHL.

Scott Gomez is a pass 1st, shoot never player. I think AK who’s a “shooter” should get his fill of shots on goal, no?

And second of all, if AK is trully this sniper, with a wicked shot and great accuracy, I highly doubt he needs Pleks to shoot the puck for him. Put Getzlaf on a 4th line and he’ll still score becuase he’s a natural scorer AND workhorse.

AK isn’t that.

He plays when he wants. And playing with Gomez on the 2nd line means AK plays vs the oppostions 3rd/4th defenseman. If you ask me, he should be producing more since he isn’t playing vs the oppostions top defensive unit.

And where’s this “physical force” that AK’s supposed to be?

6 games ago when he was scoring, he was hitting. But now, nope. Gone asleep. Pouliot, LMAO, yes Pouliot looks more physically engaged than AK!!

But it’s true, I guess when we need to adress the AK situation and/or it’s time to re-sign him, we can at least say:

“2007-2008 was still a good year for AK as well, 26 goals, 27 assists and 5G, 3A in the playoffs.”

Please, give me a break. 1 decent year and playing somewhat up to a natural scorers ability doesn’t make this guy a gem. And we shouldn’t re-sign him for big money.

We will end up in the same boat. It’s 4 years were hoping for consistent scoring. It’s 4 years he’s playing top 6 minutes with our best players.

And one decent year in return? And were supposed to feel bad for HIM?

No, I’m sorry. Not me…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

242. ed lopaz says:

when Eller first came over, he was interviewed. he was excited to “PROVE HE COULD BE AN IMPACT PLAYER”.

He went on to say, how he likes to hold on to the puck, be patient, see the opportunities and make the plays.

I don’t care how strong a kid he is, this is tough to swallow.

I can tell you from experience as a coach, kids look to the coach for reassurance that they are “good enough” and that they can be “trusted” in key situations.

So what if Eller makes a mistake on November 9th.

Its not April yet.

Let the kid play and let the kid make his mistakes, and then BOUNCE BACK and PROVE he won’t make them again.

That would be my approach.

But that’s the difference between a “liberal” minded person, and a freakin conservative, control freak.

I think there’ s a sense of insecurity in Martin – and maybe that’s what’s stopped him from winning a championship.

The truly great coaches (in TODAY”S hockey), they are SECURE – and patient with their players.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

243. mike g says:

You’ve gotta realize on thing about JM…

When you look at our team, were not a powerhouse. Plain and simple.

Playoffs are no guarantee. Our team is able to win 6 in a row and then lose 6 in a row. I think were an above .500 team, but by how much?

Do I think we will make the playoffs, yes. And I think Martin does too.

But when you’re in the situation he’s in, coaching a bubble playoff team, a mistake in November can cost you 2 points and an eventual playoff spot.

So, while I do believe he’s harsh with the young kids and their time on the ice each game, his job is to win games and make the playoffs.

He’s not given the luxury of having a stacked roster, so every single move and change he makes is gonna be crutial to this teams positioning at the end of the year.

That’s how I see it….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

244. SeriousFan09 says:

Yet I still detect a pinch of “He’s not Mike Richards” in your general complaints about him. Sorry he doesn’t blindside players in the head and put his elbows into each hit.

Players aren’t allowed to have small scoring slumps either? If anything Mike Cammalleri should be apologizing for taking not getting the C so personally and getting back to scoring, rather than going wide on every shot from his own favourite sniping spot by 10 feet. Until a week ago, he was still leading everyone in his draft class save Ryan Getzlaf in points.

You haven’t had to deal with a brother who won’t clean up his act. You have not been targeted with bigoted articles run by yellow press that won’t even retract their false statements against you. If you think it’s the same old AK this yaer fine, but I don’t recall him every having this good a start to the season or backchecking like he is now.

245. SeriousFan09 says:

Eller has to learn to work those opportunities quicker though, he paused too much last night in the O zone at certain points and pausing leads to turnovers. Yes we can point at Gomez’s work right now but it isn’t JM’s job to completely remake Gomez as a player (he can’t and neither could Boucher), he can choose to develop Eller to react quicker and remind him that in the NHL he doesn’t have time like he did in the A last season. He wants to make him a highly responsible, two-way player like he did with Hossa, Havlat and others before when he ran Ottawa.

If he gets PK time, he’s being placed in a key situation isn’t he? If he plays an OT period, that means something as well right? But he will be taking a back seat to veterans who have bailed out this team time and again in key situations last year.

Right now, the Habs need to build up a lead in the season and 2 points is 2 points, they’re harder to get towards the end of the season so they might as well bank them now. As injuries strike Eller will likely get his opportunities and I wouldn’t be surprised if he started being regular on the PK but let’s not flip out.

Martin couldn’t win a Championship in Ottawa because management never gave him a goalie that could win. Even Osgood in DET could shut the door now and then.

246. ed lopaz says:

Well, that’s certainly possible. And all you’re really saying is that yes, martin is insecure, but he has a legit reason to be insecure, because the habs can’t afford to make mistakes in november.

If you ask SF’09 – and he knows I respect his opinions as much as yours Mike – he has the habs at 110 points

this season.

I need to step out and do some work.

But if I’m Eller, or OB, or Max Pax, I’m hoping Martin wins a lottery and retires.

Enjoy your evening.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

247. SeriousFan09 says:

I have the Habs at 100 points this season actually, I said going into this season with fewer injuries, Subban and a more coordinated team, 12 extra points on last year wasn’t a crazy expectation. 110 points happens if the team has ridiculously good health like they did in 07-08 and basically no one misses more than 3 games from this point on. Toss in some really big scoring streaks by the stars as well of course.

248. mike g says:

Players are allowed to have small scoring slumps…

Problem is AK has about 20 scoring slumps per year.

He scores in 3 straight games, then goes dry for 10 games.

And don’t compare Cammy to AK. You wanna say that Cammy’s having a bad year so far, fine, he is. Can’t argue with that. But Cammy’s proven he can score 30+ on a regular basis in this league, every year barring injuries (that last part goes for every player). So please don’t compare the goalscoring abilites and dedication to winning of Cammy to AK. There’s no competiton.

And unitl a week ago, Jeff Halpern was perhaps our leading scorer. Problem is, the season was only 2 weeks old. So AK catching fire then instead of in December is irrelevant. That argument won’t fly with me.

Finally, please Rob, stop with the Mike Richards bashing. It’s more than obvious you don’t like the guy because he plays for the Flyers and we can’t stand that team. Also, he’s been on the wrong side of some borderline hits. So what, that’s his game. He plays that style, and lives with what happened later. 100% of people you speak to, NHL employed or not, will all tell you that Richards is one heck of a hockey player. One of the top young centerman in the world. And they’d all take him over AK, with eyes closed, even if they were blind.

Don’t tell me for one second you’d rather have AK over Mike Richards.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

249. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t like Richards because of how he plays. I don’t like Matt Cooke either. I don’t like Chris Pronger before he was a Flyer either and I don’t like Steve Downie. I don’t like the dirty players regardless of their uniform. You think I’d have no problem with Richards if he wasn’t a Flyer? Please. Richards doesn’t live with what happened to David Booth after the hit, Booth had to live with it. He didn’t exactly seem like he was sorry when he took advantage of a bad NHL rulebook that until this year allowed him to target the head without a penalty. Do you think all the dirty players in the NHL that aren’t Flyers are okay with me?

This year, AK’s done more to live up to his contract than Cammy has it what I argue and right now I’m seeing a different Andrei than I’ve seen to any point in his NHL career. If he scores points tommorow, is that acceptable? I believe in the guy and I’m sorry he isn’t living up to your standards but I’m not changing my mind on a talented young player who came into the season with the right attitude.

I’m also tired of this stupid crap of where you play for your money, you’re a filthy mercenary but if you play on the edge and target the head you’re just a tough competitor and worthy of admiration.

250. mike g says:

Ok wtv, agree to disagree…

But I’ll finish with this:

I like Mike Richards because he plays, and I don’t like AK because he only plays sometimes.

And if I’m building a team to win the Cup, I’ll take the guy who shows up to play every night.

(not to mention he puts up a point per game, almost)

And please, please watch some Flyers games. I’m not the biggest fan of their team, I follow them second to the Habs because of Richards. And I’ll tell you that he’s seen as a dirty player because that’s the clips the media shows you. Watch 3 Flyers games in a row, and you’ll notice he’s one heck of a hockey player.

Jeremy Roenick hurt people because of his style, and so do many other great players. But in the end, they all put the puck in the net on a consistent basis.

And that’s the bottom line when playing the game of hockey; can’t say that about you know who.

Hope he turns it around, but I can’t see it in him. Hope he proves me wrong..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

251. bwoar says:

It’s not so much being on Gomez’s line that’s bad for AK46, it’s also having to play with Lapierre, who can’t finish to save his life.

252. le_vrai_jacques says:

Pyatt and Moen are as unproductive. You’re like Singlemindeddog with Gnomez.

253. HNS says:

Feeling bad for no one……Awesome game by Price and stealing that one for us. Price needs to prove me wrong….

254. SeriousFan09 says:

Marc Antoine Godin of Cyberpresse has a piece on Lars Eller and his limited TOI with the Habs, Eller relates the experience to his beginning in the Swedish Elite League and is fine with his situation.

Translated through Google

The orginal article

255. punkster says:

You can quote all the media sources you like, even get it from the horse’s mouth, there will always be an element on here who will insist on stirring the pot.

256. showey47 says:

Great article and also congrats on the HIO gig. Looking forward to the prospect updates.

257. mike g says:

BTW…

I see 95 pts for the Habs this year, if everyone stays healthy.

And that’s based on the way we’ve played over the past 2 years. We seem to be able to compete and more than often get points against strong opponents, but we also are often able to lose to weaker teams and play horrible against them.

Maybe it’s JM’s game plan. Maybe he’s preaching a system that is built to play vs the strong teams, and uses that for all 82 games so that we can perfect it, and it causes us to look dumb and out of place vs the weaker teams.

That’s what I see….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

258. SeriousFan09 says:

Pyatt’s on a 1-way deal, he’s not getting moved down.

259. NightRyder says:

Why is the notion of benching Gomez preposterous?

The pud has 1 goal in his last 29 regular season games.

Fortunately, he’s such a playmaker, his 30 assists in that time frame more than make up for it.

What? Oh, sorry. There’s no 30 assists either. 11.

Well, 30-point men are a reasonable deal at $750,000 a year.

What? TEN times that? Oh damn.

I’d rather see someone else get his 18-20 minutes a game, complete with PP time, and see what they can do.

A little pine might actually break him out of this funk, because Lord knows if he doesn’t even you Pollyannas aren’t creative enough to come up with new ways to defend him.

260. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m aware, but I’m sure some people would like to read about Eller anyway.

261. Habhopeful says:

Thanks! Great read and so true…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

262. SeriousFan09 says:

Thanks, having the format worked out means next week’s update will be neater, I’m including tables to make it tidier to read for full scoring.

263. yathehabsrule says:

Hey guys,

Must read material here for Remembrance Day.

Shane: This is the one I was telling you about at the Summit!

___________________________________________

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

264. punkster says:

Excellent! Good work on this one guys.

265. SeriousFan09 says:

Late-Night Prospect Update;

WHL: For just the 2nd time in 21 games, Brendan Gallagher failed to get a point and was stymied in the shootout with the VAN Giants, they ended up winning out over the Red Deer Rebels though, it was the first time this season neither he nor fellow scoring ace Craig Cunningham registered a point in a Giants game.

266. Bryan says:

Bust

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

267. since1988 says:

just a little light reading…looking forward to tonights game against the booins lets hope we can pull out the win since boston has games in hand

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

268. Top Corner says:

ohh man , were already talking about games in hand…ha ha ha

Its a toss up for bonehead plays of the night last night between Oshie and Kovalchuk:

I guess both of them feel like idiots today, more so Kovalchuk for two BLOWN breakaway attempts (one in a shootout of course…which was embarassing)

Oshie for breaking his ankle in a pointless takedown at the end of a 8-1 loss….snarf snarf

——-Advantage > Kovalchuck < ———–

Anyways , HUGE game tonight against the baby B’s….PUMPED!!!  No respect tonight , lets destroy these fools…GO HABS GO  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great Rememberance Day everyone  11:11  11/11/10

269. TomNickle says:

It’s completely different and you should know better.

Martin’s style of hockey takes a lot out of a hockey team.  It’s quite a grind emotionally to win by one and lose by one all season.  The strengths of our opponents has been relevant for the last couple of years but I expect a better season overall.

The team will grow more confident as they continue to get familiarized with each other.  We need Picard in the lineup though and time’s a wasting.  We need PG to play some let’s make a deal and ship out at least one defenseman.

270. Danno says:

4-0 Panthers. Leafs are imploding…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

271. Sith says:

Kovalchuck just choked big time in SO. WOW!