PuckCast, Vol. 5., No. 3 [Podcast]

placeholder-Puckcast

It is a month into the NHL’s regular season and the Canadiens are in first place in the Northeast Division and survived the first part of a tough week on Tuesday with a 2-0 win over the Vancouver Canucks. The next test is Thursday night in Boston against a Bruins team that is four points behind the Habs, but have four games in hand heading into action on Wednesday night.

In today’s PuckCast, Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone and Kevin Mio discuss Carey Price’s play, the struggles on the power play, scorers who are not scoring and Andrei Markov’s return to action.

The PuckCast | Download it now
RSS | Add the PuckCast to your RSS reader
iTunes | Add the PuckCast to iTunes

1. punkster says:

Every time the TSN camera gets a shot of Ron Wilson he’s checking what looks like his game plan.

No wait…it’s an MLS list.

2. NightRyder says:

My two pet causes have long been Gomez Sucks and Price Will Be Fine.

I aim for consistency, if not obnoxious repetition.

All the others are minor annoyances because they will eventually sort themselves out and don’t tend to be as polarizing (read: boring) for debate.

3. CBrady12 says:

He didn’t say anyone sucks though…why you gotta put words in his post?

4. TomNickle says:

I wasn’t serious.  Thought you’d pick up on that since I singled one person out too!

5. VancouverHab says:

That’s just what I think. Cammi is in the same boat as Gomez, AK & Gionta — really low points (& Pleks isn’t exactly burning it up either.)

Let’s treat them the same — not so sure about AK, but the rest (a.) are notorious slow starters and (b.) always bring ot to the playoffs.

You have to think that for Cammi, Gio and Gomez, they have been around the block so many times that they just know the relative unimportance of these early days and the supreme value of the playoffs. Ask me then what I think of them. The Sedins put up big regular season numbers. Who cares? They, like Luongo, disappear when playoff hockey starts — and I mean, the can’t raise their game to match the intensity of true playoff-style hockey.

6. punkster says:

Leafs digging in for a long winter.

7. PrimeTime says:

Just poking a little fun……Xtra doesn’t take it as personal as the other GREATEST GOALIE IN THE WORLD fans.

8. Psycho29 says:

OUCH

8-1 Columbus over St.Louis….

It’s a S-Halaking….

9. matraque says:

Halak got pulled! haha.

It happens… It will also happens to Carey 🙁

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

10. TomNickle says:

That’s not really fair of you considering how long the list of people is that should accompany his name.

Everlasting1 isn’t lighting up the board tonight with his Vezina proclamations.

11. PrimeTime says:

Well last night and tonight should calm “the debate” for a little while.

Where’s Xtrahabsfan???

Prejudice + No objectivity = No credibility. The result: Partisan warfare is on the rise, and truth is on the decline

12. TomNickle says:

True but I could make just as big of an argument in favour of those fans who consistently denigrate Gomez; that some of them aren’t fans either.

I haven’t read much about Cammalleri not trying lately, and he isn’t.

Not seeing many comments about Andrei pulling his latest Houdini act.

And those people were shouting for Dustin Boyd have grown quieter.

13. NightRyder says:

That’s why you need a larger sample size before forming a full opinion.

A sample size like 1 goal in 29 games or 3 in 48.

Then you can say someone sucks.

14. HabFanSince72 says:

i the worst signing decision in NHL history

Rejean Houle / Mario tremblay.

15. NightRyder says:

That happens all the time.

Having Halak succeed, Price fail and be correct is more important than the team. Those aren’t fans.

I’d like to point out that I consistently still cheer for Mr. Gomez, even though he is somewhat putrid.

16. gumper says:

One more GA for St. Louis tonight, and their season total increases by 50%!!

17. NightRyder says:

Fleury is up and down like a yo-yo and people are worried Price is washed up at 23.

18. NightRyder says:

Really?

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Penguins just blew a 4-2 lead over the Bruins, now even Brent Johnson is letting them down in nets.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. NightRyder says:

So he didn’t win with crappy goaltending and he didn’t win with great goaltending.

Hmm.

Thank God we’ve got such a genius teaching us how to win in the playoffs.

21. Jordio-oh says:

go halak go. best goalie in the world. hahaha

22. ABHabsfan says:

Remember when the Habs were eliminated from the play-offs and some fans trashed Jose Theodore’s Porsche? Even though he went on to win the Hart and Vezina? It would be something like that. Of course that incident may not have been hockey related…

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Brent Sopel, Brian Campbell and Niklas Hjalmarsson, oh and two-way forwards including Toews, Bolland, Hossa, Sharp and Madden.

The best defence you could find in the NHL last season, bar none.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

24. Bill J says:

8-1 – No kidding! lol

25. NightRyder says:

If you don’t mind, I’ll just shoot my thoughts to you first, so you can edit them with your personal Pollyanna program.

That way no one’s feelings will get hurt.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Ouch, that’s the worst beating I think this season.

Kovalchuk without a point with NJ again, was his choice the worst signing decision in NHL history? He fits with the Devils the way Matt Cooke fits with a Lady Byng trophy.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. Bill J says:

Hmmmm

Not my reaction.

BUT… What we could see…

“Call up Mayer & drop Price to waivers!”

lol I’m kidding, but I bet we would see it…. By at least one poster.

28. InGaineyWeTrust says:

You’re very much welcome. It always makes me feel good to help those less fortunate than me.

29. Bill J says:

At least the Habs only lost to Columbus 3-0

In hindsight, I prefer the score we had…. Yikes…

30. TomNickle says:

There’s only one other explanation.  That they are Habs fans but that they’d rather be correct with negative assumptions than watch the Habs win.

Either way.  I feel bad because I don’t wish Halak well, I don’t want him to win a Cup and I have no interest in him winning the Vezina.

That’s not to say that I want him to fail.  But I’d rather see us win a Cup and Price win a Vezina.

And yeah, with all of the bullshit that Price’s has had to deal with, I’d much rather see him succeed.

31. NightRyder says:

What would the reaction be here if Price and Auld both pooped themselves in a massive loss like that?

32. NightRyder says:

Doubles are fun.

33. TomNickle says:

Every member of the St.Louis Blues is in the minus category.

34. InGaineyWeTrust says:

My favorite band.

And they were solid. Sounded great. Older, certainly, but in peak form and there aren’t any complaints to be had.

35. NightRyder says:

Thanks for the pointers. I’ll be sure to take them to heart.

36. Bill J says:

It balances the playing field a bit more.

That being said, some members who where in hindsight rather unfair to Price in the off-season have laid off him.  Deservedly

There are a few who remain skeptics, but I fear a chunk of those are not really Hab fans.  It is the only explanation I come up with when I think “Why would they want Price to fail, or throw Halak’s success in our faces for some reason ?”

37. NightRyder says:

Anti Niemi won the Stanley Cup last year.

What’s your point?

38. joeybarrie says:

They are gonna have to pull Conklin and put Halak back in…. 8-1…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

39. InGaineyWeTrust says:

Not that I think Martin is by any means a great coach, you can’t fault him because the Sens rarely ever showed up in the playoffs, and he certainly couldn’t rush out on the ice to stop pucks from squeaking through Lalime left, right, and center. It’s pure ignorance to bring up a coach’s playoff winning percentage and ignore all factors involved in it.

Further, no one actually said that he knows his stuff. Just that he’s trying to teach a specific style of hockey to prepare for playoff hockey. At least learn to read before you decide to sarcastically jump down someone’s throat like a condescending child. Perhaps even present arguments rather than just kick up a fuss; it’s much easier to take someone’s posts seriously when your eyes aren’t rolling into the back of your head at the sight of them.

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Now 2-0 FLorida. (in the 2nd, not the 3rd)

Broonz losing 4-2. SOG are 34-20.

41. Chuck says:

I mean, 2-0. Powerplay goal late in the 2nd.

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

42. Chuck says:

Florida still up by one… 5 left in the 3rd.

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Jacques Martin spent most of his coaching career in Ottawa and he never had a goalie worth a damn the whole time he was there. Patrick Lalime is not big-time goaltending.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

44. habs001 says:

the way the team played yesterday is the formula for success for the habs based on our scoring talent….now we do need the pp to start scoring at a better pace and maintain the pk….the scorers we have will start scoring but that will not really increase our goal production as some of the non scorers who have contributed will just go into their usual 14 game scoreless streaks…we have very limited scoring talent but in todays nhl this seems to be a pattern…just scoring 4 goals every 15 games makes you a 20 goal scorer but even that is a huge challenge for many forwards….

45. TomNickle says:

Haha.  Whoops.  I wish I could say that I feel bad for him, but I really don’t.

The golden egg is crapping the bed.

46. NightRyder says:

Halak’s save percentage plummets to .911.

The horror!

47. Bill J says:

I also loved them in the 90’s – how where they ?

48. NightRyder says:

One bad game won’t cause a ripple in St. Louis.

It is cause for a riot in Montreal.

49. NightRyder says:

Ahh yes, because his .452 career playoff winning percentage means he really knows his stuff.

The “I think we should let them outshoot us 51-19 every game and hope like hell Halak bails us out” playoff strategy really brings to mind Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake and Al Arbour all rolled into one.

50. secretdragonfly says:

Loved them in the ’90’s – haven’t heard anything since then.

51. hab_skill says:

Off topic but… Anybody watch Soundgarden on Conan last night? Anybody LIKE Soundgarden?

52. joeybarrie says:

I haven’t been watching too many Blues games. But it seems to me Halak has had 2 really bad games and the rest really good games. 3 shutouts??? I think, and then 2 bad games. This will hurt his sv%…

Keep in mind that I am sure the St. Louis faithful wont be calling for his head tomorrow. They will chalk it up to a bad game and be done with it.

Sad to see though. Bet you next game he gets a shutout. If they let him play again.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. fbkj says:

they all have bad nights

jaro will bounce back

being said

lol @ t3h trollz

54. avatar_58 says:

6-1 Columbus??

Suddenly losing to them doesn’t feel so bad.

You know what JM is doing.

He is teaching his players how to win in the play offs. He will teach this style of hockey all year. Defence first and foremost from all that get on the ice. If you do not take care of your defensive responsibilities, you don’t get ice time.

56. punkster says:

Hmmm…can’t find a scoresheet on line.

57. avatar_58 says:

Did he get an assist? I thought he did too but I didn’t hear his name called for it

58. punkster says:

Louis bangs it out from behind the net.

Edit…oops, after the assist then he takes a penalty

59. HabFanSince72 says:

Flashback of the Philly series.

60. showey47 says:

Halak pulled,conklin now in.

61. dre1744 says:

4 goals on 14 shots  man even that crappy Goaltender we kept here in Montreal hasn’t let in  4 on 14 shots!!!!!!!!  Halak  it alot!!!!!!!!!  hahahahahah

62. db says:

Reasons why I love this site:

#47  I generally don’t have to click the links to know what they’re about.

63. geo_habsgo says:

I see no reason why O’byrne can’t split time with Hal Gill. At least give him a chance to prove that he at least has something in the tank. I always liked him and think he can play. He isn’t as much of a liability as people think he is. Certainly not any more dangerous that Spacek on an off night..

64. ZepFan2 says:

Have you seen the second goal?

Price would have been crucified here if it had been him.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

65. mike g says:

Hey, just having a little fun….

I don’t wish failiure upon the guy, on the contrary actually.

I’m just really anxoius to see how all the multiple personality members on HIO react to this.

Because I’ve seen them bash Price when he allows a goal on a 5 on 3 in the 1st period, and were trailing in the game.

They’ll blame an empty net goal on him, and say he was weak on it.

Just throwing some of the crap back into their faces, but in a nice way, you know…

Just for fun though, no name calling…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

66. mike g says:

It has to be…

It’s impossible. The trolls will all melt away and vanish forever if it’s true.

Unless they’ll start making excuses that maybe he’s tired or something, or “due for a bad period”.

But legends and automatic 1st ballot HOF’ers don’t have those types of games, now do they?

LMAO.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

67. secretdragonfly says:

Unfortunately, living in the GTA, my copy will likely feature Kadri instead of Subban 🙁

68. avatar_58 says:

C’mon guy, don’t do this.

69. Malreg says:

You mean the holy Impenetrable One allowed 3 goals in 10 minutes? Must be a typo.

70. WestHab says:

I enjoy the puckcast. It’s the antichamber on weed. Imean that in a good way.

71. avatar_58 says:

Anyone have a bigger image? You know, being a PK fanboy I kinda want it….:D

72. mike g says:

ATTENTION!!!!

BIG, BIG news alert here!

Click here to see what it is…

Wwww…..wwwwwhaaaaaatttt??!!!

Who’s that??

Must be a mistake in the score right?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.