Your Habs dream job awaits

dream_job_downturn_economy

The Canadiens want to hire an on-air host for their in-house video productions.

You’d get to travel with the team, hang with the players, meet Pat Hickey … muy cool!
“This full-time position will involve extensive travel and in-season the candidate’s schedule will largely follow that of the team’s.  Availability on nights and weekends is a must and flexibility to work a variety of times and hours is essential.”

Polish up that CV. (No need to mention the time spent in prison.)

Apply now, before Rebekah Brooks gets the gig.

• Hickey: Peter DeBoer won’t be Jacques Martin’s assistant

Arpon Basu looks ahead to training camp

Analysis of Canadiens shooting stats

Rating the prospects

Swiss feature on prospect Alain Berger

Comment on Stamkos deal

Ovie likes Hamrlik signing

Remember hockey coins?

1. cvfvghghgf says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF
    COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you
    ur friends’adress by EMS,DHL,UPs
    click my link under here!

2. Mike D says:

Looks like we’ll be treated to the stylings of Patrick Lalime on RDS this coming season. He’s hanging up the goalie pads.

- Honestly yours

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…did I read right today ??? …ANDREW BERKSHIRE, ESQ., is a contributing writer for eyesontheprize.com ???
    …tell Me, dat ain’t true …plueeeeze !!!
    …it’s been awhile I visited EOTP since Robert L went on to ‘udder tings’
    …cripes, it appears EOTP’s credibility is quickly goin’ downhill since Robert left, if Andy is involved

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

4. JohnBellyful says:

I’m thinking the assistant coach gig’s not comin’ through.
    I was gonna get serious about playin’ hardball and make an ultimatum: Either hire me or the candid pics of Martin go global. But then I thought that’s not who I am. I’ve had 53 jobs and everyone I got on merit and a federal wage-subsidy program. No. 54 isn’t going to be because of blackmail (accidentally deleting the pics on the camera guaranteed that).
    No. 54 will be because I deserve the assistant coach’s job. Even though it appears they’ve changed the job description and made it harder.
    Now I don’t mind being the face of the club on TV and YouTube, and I look forward to preparing reports, coming up with new ideas, scripting plays, handling the team’s video sessions, being charming and spontaneous – but expecting me to be versed in pop culture and various media that appeal to Hab players and the 18-34 demographic (music/TV/film)?
    What am I, a freakin’ babysitter? They listen to MY music, and watch MY shows and films in the dressing room, or it’s hello, Hamilton. If they can’t get roused by a Boxcar Willie bio they haven’t got a pulse.
    They wanna listen to their boomboxes, they can do it in the parking lot. They wanna watch slasher pics, watch them on the VCR in their home.

Who am I kiddin’. The generational gap is just too huge. I’m withdrawing my name.

I guess I’ll hang up now. 27 hours on hold is way too long to wait for an answer.
    I hope that crossing guard position is still open.

5. mike3131 says:

Another trade proposition:

Kostitsyn and a late pick for Ryan Malone?

I know we will have to deal with the $4.5 M cap hit but it’s worth it IMO (look at Boston paying Lucic over $4 M) and if Cole’s decline comes early, Malone would be a more-than-capable replacement for the top-6.

6. kakey says:

Introduced in Columbus, Wisniewski, while recounting all his previous teams’ experience said (I’m paraphrasing): “…Montreal, the New York Yankees of NHL, spotlights is always on you”.

We’ll take that as a compliment.

7. durocher says:

FWIW, Campoli is good buds with Pricey and trains with other Habs players like JG.

8. HabFab says:

If you click on PK’s Tweeter link in Arpon’s story, you will notice that Patches is getting married this weekend.

9. Un Canadien errant says:

Sports Illustrated is running a feature asking its writers which is the best team they ever covered.

Michael Farber chose the ’89 Canadiens, the team which was stronger than the ’86 or ’93 version in my estimation, but lost in the Finals to the Calgary Flames.

I’ll post the link and read it, let’s all come back when we finish and discuss.

I hope this means Mr. Farber is recovering well.

———————————
    For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Many great lines as always from Mr. Farber, but my favourite is how he describes that Claude Lemieux often played two positions for the Canadiens, “right wing and prone”.

———————————

• LA Loyalist says:

omg thank you for posting this.

I saw that series in a back room in Caesars’ Palace in Vegas (why is another story) with a bunch of lunatic Canadians trying to get by on American beer (Coors, generally) cheerfully screaming at the TV.

There were more Flames fans than Habs, due to the geography, but a great time was had by all.

The heartbreak was only slightly softened by Lanny MacDonald getting to skate around with the Cup.

I loved the Pat Burns team. Really.

• Mike D says:

Great article! Thanks so much for sharing, friend.

- Honestly yours

10. Stev.R says:

Is Campoli comparable to Gorges? Nearly the same size, nearly the same age, 364 NHL games for Gorges, 397 for Campoli.

9 goals, 59 points for Gorges (.16 ppg). 33 goals, 135 points for Campoli (.34 ppg). Campoli has been more established for longer. Both were about on the same path for points last season though.

I being this up because Campoli was trying to get 2.5m from arbitration. Chicago knew he would get it so they let him go. Campoli’s resume is a better better than Gorges so maybe Gorges we will get Gorges for slightly less than 2.5m.

• Talik Sanis says:

They aren’t really cast in the same mold. While Campoli has a greater offensive upside, he cannot kill penalties as well as Gorges, is significantly less physical and isn’t as gifted at shot-blocking.

Quality of competition shows that Campoli was generally (relative to Gorges, certainly) protected from the opposing top players, while Gorges was deployed to neutralise them. Gorges is a superior defenseman with respect to his ability to play difficult minutes.

Campoli has been, and is, more of a secondary offensive defenseman, while Gorges is a solid defensive defenseman with leadership abilities. Their stature and birthdays are comparible, but their styles of play, locker-room presence and the success they’ve had in their respective roles are not.

John you can use all of as references on your resume for the new position, don’t forget to wear stilletto’s to the interview!

12. hansolo says:

@JohnBellyful:

Hey JB, you are truly DA MAN!! You always come up with these extraordinarily witty posts. You have me in awe, when I’m not doubled over laughing.

Say, I guess the assistant coach gig is on hold? How about applying for the on-air host position, instead? And I’m not jesting!

Has anybody hear how dubinsky arbitration went? Assuming they went to arb.

Purcell gets 4.7M for two years.

Hawks walk away before arbitration on Campoli making him an UFA.

15. punkster says:

So is it the heat or the humidity?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

John, brilliant post, sitting in the airport bored and people started looking at me laughing hysterically as I read those.

• JohnBellyful says:

I got that reaction, too, when I started laughing hysterically at the airport last week. Luckily, security found my meds where they had fallen out of my carry-on.

17. Bugs says:

Sorry if already mentioned. Got it off ESPN somewheres. K Junior has a few words about our club. Busted up automatic translation again. (Avise le fin!…hey, that one actually MAKES sense, sorry, Avise LA fin, yeah, that’s the one off its rocker)…anyway:
    “Slava Malamud, a Russian journalist who covers the Caps among other things for Sport-Express, is all about a SK74 interview this morning. He gives this link to the article (in Russian, of course) and tweets the following tidbits (@SlavaMalamud):
    SlavaMalamud Slava Malamud
    S.Kostitsyn rips the #Habs in his Pressball interview:
    -’They wanted to make me a 4th line checker. Me a checker??’ #Preds
    -’Have no idea what they (#Habs) are doing to my brother, playing him on 3rd and 4th lines… #Preds have much better atmosphere’ S.Kostitsyn”
    As for the job, I’d love to, but then, who would do MY job? My mom’s basement ain’t gonna appear lived in rent-free by ITSELF, is it?!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• shiram says:

Yea it was posted, but it’s a great reminder why it’s not such a bad thing that this guy is not with the Habs anymore.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Bugs says:

How come?
        Prefer a delicate doilie won’t speak his mind instead?
        If he understands the implications of what he’s saying and is prepared to face some hockey-pc heat, let him give his dang opinion, I say.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• shiram says:

He can say whatever he wants, for sure, but the attitude behind the words speaks of a primadonna, and he seems to expect everything being given to him.

And even if not for that, bridges seems to have been set ablaze between him and the Habs org.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Everlasting1 says:

The attitude speaks of self-confidence, belief in himself, and honesty. He backed it all up last season with a great performance. The only bridge he burnt down is with the current management/coach.

——————————————————————-
            “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HabFanSince72 says:

He is a prima donna, but he has a point.

• Bugs says:

Ennnh, that speaks more of your interpretation of these facts than the facts themselves, no?
            I will say this, though: Grabby was much better at it. It took SAKU to step in for him to pull back on the crazy lever.
            Remember: when we actually SAW Saku DO somethin, that meant it was biiiiig.
            Ribeiro comes to mind…
            ‘Member the Comeback of the Millenium? The tying goal by the Artiste, when he fell over on his back and had a turtle sunbathe for a sec? Saku didn’t tackle him in joy..; he just stood over him arms raised…it didn’t make SENSE sports-wise. That categorically CONFIRMED for me once and for all that: These Guys Are Not Friends. And surely Bob could see that too then. … Offered Kovy a contract, not Saku..; prima donnas ABOUND, Shira.
            If they help you win, you take’em; if they don’t, you flush’em, same as aaaaaany other player.
            (Edit): man, this post is all over the place; sorry, folks.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• LA Loyalist says:

Great post, bugs. Thumbs up.

• SmartDog says:

I agree with you Bugs. Winners sometimes sound like this. SK has balls, always had. Balls are not always welcome on the Habs. Its s’posed to be “yes sir” and “no sir” and “I love it here sir”… blah blah blah “history and tradition” blah blah.

Fact is that SK does most of his talking on the ice, and I think he’s still angry at the Habs for trying to deprive him of that outlet.

• G-Man says:

“I think he’s still angry at the Habs for trying to deprive him of that outlet.”

They traded him to a place that would play him and a year later it’s “I think he’s still angry at the Habs for trying to deprive him of that outlet”?

Sorry, SD, but that just doesn’t make any sense.

• CanadienBoy says:

What this about SK ask you,re self what would have
            happen if Bowman will have been is coach

• ZepFan2 says:

Winners? What exactly has SK won?

On the topic of winning. I wonder how many of these guys would whine about being on the 3rd or 4th line if they were on a cup winning team that was competitive every year?

I wonder how much guys like Tremblay and Lambert complained?

———————————————————————-
            Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• LA Loyalist says:

Bowman kept everyone both insecure but confident that Bowman was doing what was best for the team. Fascinating guy. He also helped bind the players to each other as they could always complain about him to each other. I’m re-reading Dryden’s book, great summer reading if you’re looking for something.

• ZepFan2 says:

@ Canadien boy

Think Pierre Larouche when you ask what would happen if Bowman was SK’s coach.

Imagine the screams for Bowmans head if the internet was around back then? :razz:

———————————————————————-
            Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• HardHabits says:

I thought those were HIO rules?

• Trisomy 21 says:

I like to think of it as someone who mans up and does the job he’s told to do. Nose to the grindstone. Basket cases get passed around the league. SK won’t be an exception.

• Bugs says:

Basket cases get passed around the league at the very exact same rate non basket cases get passed around the league.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Everlasting1 says:

Coaches are no exception either.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• 100HABS says:

It’s true. AK should never be on 3rd and 4th lines or any line number that includes Gomez. In fact, better a 3rd line with Eller than a 1st with Gomez.

As for SK, his head is too big. He needed to check for a year or two to learn defense before going on offense. Such is the Canadiens way.

• Bugs says:

K Senior should play where he’s most effective, in my opinion, wherever that might be.
        With my own eyes, and again, in my opinion, I thought he was never so good and so consistent as when he was with Eller. Yeah, that’s right, I said it: Eller.
        Thing is: I have Eller centering the 4th. Reckon to GIVE HIM THE LINE all year long. HIS line. You want him to grow? That’ll make him grow.
        4th line. All his. It’s “not seen well” by pundits everywhere, who often see line numbering as a hierarchy, but tactically-speaking, nothing could serve our future 3rd-line shut-down, even possibly somewhere in the distant future should-he-learn-how-to-score 2nd-line centre better.
        And play K Senior with him. In my opinion, their speed, size and smarts would allow them to find a measure of success against opposing 4th-line checkers and their ice-time would slowly rise as a consequence.
        Dezzy on 3rd. If, after the first month, he has more pts than Gomie, Dezzy on 2nd, Gomie on third. Hey, it’s just business.
        And no one touches Eller’s castle all year long.
        Then we’ll see what’s what.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• myron.selby says:

Given that Martin usually plays his 4th line less than 10 minutes/game, what do you expect Eller (or Kostitsyn) to learn from getting 4th line ice time? Hell, there were a number of games in the last 2 playoff years where the 4th line averaged less than 2 minutes.

I thought Eller looked really good for the last 20 games and the playoffs. Especially considering he’s a setup man trying to pass to Moen, Pyatt and White who couldn’t score into empty nets. Why not give him the 3rd line with AK & Desharnais for the first 30 games and see how they look?

• LA Loyalist says:

Martin would have tried to turn Cournoyer into a freaking grinder.

Wikipedia says:

“Cournoyer was initially regarded by Canadiens head coach Toe Blake as a defensive liability and undeserving of a regular shift, though he was still frequently used on the power play.[1] That changed after Blake’s departure following the 1968 Stanley Cup Championship, when incoming coach Claude Ruel granted Cournoyer a full-time shift. Cournoyer went on to have his first forty-goal season in 1968–69[2] and was named to the NHL’s Second All-Star Team.”

• When I first saw that SK interview, it reminded me why he was traded. If Lafleur can start his career in the bottom six, so can Sergei F. Kostitsyn.

• Everlasting1 says:

Some are not cut-out for certain roles or have the attributes. It takes the handlers/coaches to recognize the qualities they possess and utilize those player’s abilities to perform to their strengths.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• That was never an issue with SK, but nice try. He was a very good checker when that was his assignment.

• Everlasting1 says:

That’s your observation (as a grinder?). If he performed admirably in that role why was he given reduced ice-time and benched? You can’t expect him to light it up on a 4th line either.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• hansolo says:

Well, “Little Tits,” as he is called on FHF, is not going to shoot 25% next year. If he once more gets only 90-odd shots on goal playing first line minutes and the PP, he’s gonna have some ‘splainin’ to do — to Trotz, not JM, and it then won’t be JM’s fault (or PG’s, for that matter).

No matter how offensively gifted a player you might be, you can’t ignore your defensive responsibilities. No-one expects SK to be Carbonneau but if he implied he shouldn’t have to back-check at all, I don’t know what he was smoking — or more likely, drinking. Perhaps Cournoyer became the player he was BECAUSE Toe Blake was on his case about his defensive liabilities.

18. JayBee says:

It’s truly ridiculous how some people criticize Gio. The guy scored 29 goals last year on a defensive first team that can’t score.

2 less than Martin St. Louis
    3 less than Ovechkin, Nash, Toews
    2 less than Kovalchuk
    He scored more than Duchene, Kane, Brown, Franzen, Heatley, Cole, Giroux, Kopitar, Hossa, Lecavalier, Zetterberg, Clowe, etc….

Gio is a solid player and the great thing about him is he’s consistent and stays healthy.

• shiram says:

I can agree with all that and still feel that he is overpaid.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• JayBee says:

Why are you so caught up into who’s overpaid and who isn’t? Is the money coming out of your pocket?

I loved the days when we had no idea what players made and only judged them based on what we saw on the ice. Now you have people trying their best to determine who’s overpaid and who isn’t.

You’re worth what someone is willing to pay you, period.

• shiram says:

Not sure I am ” so caught up in into who’s overpaid and who isn’t” as it’s my first post today about such a thing, and probably first since Cole got signed.

I think we overpay guys, but that’s fine by me, as long as we ice a great team.

But you know, that’s just my opinion.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• LA Loyalist says:

Jaybee, you are entirely missing the point, or the context.

What someone is paid is significant because of the Cap.

A team can no longer spend its way out of a mistake.

Gomez’s 7 point whatever millions is two $3.5 Million dollar players who would actually be valuable.

That is the point. It’s not a moral judgment (except about Gomez).

• JayBee says:

Most players in this league are overpaid, so I don’t get the point in bringing it up every time a player’s name is brought up.

You’re missing context as well. You think it’s a coincidence that Gomez’s worst numbers came in Martin’s defensive system? 29 goals in Montreal is probably the equivalent of 40 in Philly or Pittsburgh. 45 goals in Vancouver is the equivalent of 25 in Nashville.

Not excusing Gomez, but enough with the whining about his salary.

• Bill J says:

So what you are saying here is you are both a Habs fan and an accounting fan ?

I do agree far too much weight is put on the salaries, it’s getting out of hand.

• LA Loyalist says:

The cap has tied every players’ salary to their performance in a way that makes it almost impossible to consider one without the other. It’s basically a “value” now comprised of each years performance and the cost of said performance vis a vis the cap hit.

It’s kind of like wine, one has a higher expectation of a first growth than a cru bourgoise, mais non, because one paid a freaking lot more for it.

As for Martin’s system (which I loathe, but that’s another post) is it Martin’s system that calls out for Gomez to check by waving his stick at a player as he blows by? Is it Martin’s system that calls for Gomez to never shoot and just lose the puck when he crosses the blue line?

I agree that some of our skilled guys would score more on other teams. Don’t you see that as totally damning of Martin?

And finally, I don’t enjoy having to frame everything in terms of a cost analysis, not at all.

I miss the days when the players played because they actually gave a crap. I remember the Eddie Shack Christmas tree lot and Dickie Moore starting his construction business and the Rocket making freaking fishing lures in his basement to meet ends.

But those guys brought it on the ice.

Wish Gomez would bring something, maybe some nice sandwiches? Cut in triangles with some cucumber and Boursin and some of that BC smoked salmon.

Now that’s context.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I like the wine analogy LA L.
            Guys i don’t understand why you don’t grasp the concept. It’s not unlike any other job where if someone’s not pulling their weight, they’re under fire. Those who have higher pay usually have a more important role. When you see the guy with the biggest salary on our team it’s frustrating to see them perform poorly because you look at what the equally paid guys on other teams are doing in terms of production and there’s a noticeable discrepancy.

• Bugs says:

I guess it’s truly ridiculous how some people criticize a LOT of things, JayB, but especially so if you disagree with them.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• JayBee says:

I have no issue with people disagreeing with me. But at least state why you disagree. There’s too many people who will disagree, not state why and then patronize you. See it here all the time.

The good ole “instead of stating why I disagree, I’m going to make a condescending remark and wait for others to jump in and give me the LOL’s I so desperately crave” technique.

• joeybarrie says:

Your trying to compare Gio to St Louis, Ovie, Toews, etc etc etc..???????
      St Louis had 99 points…..53 points more than Gio. 600k dif in salary and St Louis had more than twice the points…
      Ovie had 85…
      Toews had 76….

Im not trying to criticize Gio. I would like people to see how crazy their own criticisms are for Gomez.
      31 assists for 7.3 million is not far off of 19 goals for 6 million…

I just wish people would have some common sense.

• JayBee says:

I hear what you’re saying but it’s all about context. Look at who Gio played with then look at who Ovie, Toews and St. Louis played with.

Gio has mostly played with Gomez his entire time here. How exactly is he supposed to rack up assists with a centerman who scores 7 goals?

The guy has 57 goals in 2 years. According to the market, 30 goal scorers get paid pretty handsomely.

It’s just tacky when a guy leads his team in scoring for 2 years and then someone comes along and says he’s overpaid. Tacky.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Brian Gionta is only overpaid if he can be replaced for less money.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

19. JohnBellyful says:

Here are the headlines you’ll be reading in the next 12 months:

Gauthier names Gainey new assistant coach

Price tells fans to ‘chill’ after shooting three-over in charity tournament

Oiler-Avalanche trade nixed; Edmonton player died in ‘07

Cole to use teleprompter on HNIC broadcasts

NESN announcer ‘flattered’ newly diagnosed mental disorder bears his name

Beaulieu fires French instructor after ‘merde’ miscue

Leaf fans win class action suit, team ordered to pay $3B

Coyotes begin Drive to Survive with OT win in Chicago

Winnipeg opens season with shootout win; fans treated for hyper-exuberance

Three Bruins injured in Pouliot spill during national anthem

$50,000 top bid in online auction of Coyotes

Yemelin a hit with opponents

Bettman, Jacobs say affair was platonic

Plekanec lumberczech undershirt launches fashion craze

Phoenix sale falls through after financing collapses

‘I wuz framed!’: Cherry

Eller serenaded with ‘Danish Boy’ after netting fifth game winner

Third loss in 20 games has Hab fans in panic

Bruins’ hiring of Shanahan second cousin under investigation

Markov to miss one game after run over by Zamboni

Lucic, Marchand hospitalized, Gionta suffers bruised knuckles in scrap

Moen teary-eyed after All-Star selection

Gomez’s 30th sinks Islanders

Chara suspended 20 games for hand on puck in crease violation

Habs land Pyatt at trade deadline, miss out on Konopka

Cammalleri remains mired in assist slump after potting a pair

Vancouver recalls Luongo from minors ‘for insurance’

Subban odds-on Hart Trophy winner after hattrick

Budaj extends winning streak to 15

17th straight win lifts Leafs out of basement

Desharnais chosen player of the month

Martin’s pranks keep team loose down the stretch

Spacek rethinking retirement after finishing season plus-87

Four Top 10 scorers first in ages for Habs

Price sets record with three assists as Montreal wins playoff opener 3-1

Hab fans give up talk of tanking after third series sweep

Sedins trash talking as Canucks look to avenge Cup humiliation

OT winner ‘no fluke’: Cup hero Gill

Fans clean up streets, wash windows, plant flowers following Cup victory

Fire Martin petitions gather momentum

20. joeybarrie says:

Garbage play…………..
    What a croc of crap.
    I would have to say that making the Conf finals and coming in 6th in the east is not Garbage… It takes a whole team you know. One player is not holding everyone down.

• Malice says:

“Habs land Pyatt at trade deadline, miss out on Konopka“

“Bruins’ hiring of Shanahan second cousin under investigation“

hahaha too good

————————————————————————————
      -Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness was-

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Great news: former NFL players suing the league over brain trauma.

The gist of the lawsuit is that the NFL withheld information from players (much like tobacco companies got done in partly because they hid data about nicotine).

This might make the lawyers who run the NHL less cavalier about the risks to which they are exposing their players. (Or maybe not – they know if anyone ever pays the price for the current willful disregard of players’ health, it will be someone else.)

• Bripro says:

Interesting article. Given that the NFL knew for so long, you have to think the other leagues knew as well?
      Someone should put a helmet on Buttman, and send him out there.

22. Neutral says:

it’s not about what gomez done on the ice . it’s about what he’s getting paid and he way under performed. if he was getting 3.5 mil you probably wouldn’t have heard a peep. the money he’s being paid he had better come through this year or he’ll get it again….

• IMHO you have it 100% backwards. ITS ALL ABOUT WHAT HE DOES ON THE ICE! I don’t give a rats a$$ what he gets paid, IT’S NOT MY MONEY, I only care about his performance.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

• Neutral says:

that’s your opinion, the money he’s getting paid is holding the team back from getting two good scores, so it would appear you’re not concern about winning a cup any time soon…

• joeybarrie says:

Its as if he has complete control over how many points he gets….
      Yes over paid….So is Gaborik and a bunch of others.
      Not his fault they offered him money. Not his fault they traded him.

I just hope we are all more productive this season. Try to remember that 29 goals for 5 million and 19 goals for 6 million are also under performing.
      But of course we concentrate on Gomez…. Cause its easy. But in reality it is not.

• HabFanSince72 says:

His fault that he smirks and jokes around while not producing, agreed?

• There’s no debate. Gomez himself has come out and admitted he played like garbage. The poster above is just being an apologist for some bizarre reason. We concentrate on him because it’s easy?? Uhhhh no, people concentrate on him because of his garbage play and his albatross contract that really affects a team in a salary cap world. This a pro sport, and when players don’t perform up to their big contracts they get criticized for it, thats just the way it goes. They aren’t babies, they are men. They get paid millions to play a game and criticism is part of the package. Unfortunately rose-colored glasses fans like the guy above live in fantasy world.

• joeybarrie says:

Yeah, I mean why would you try to stay in a positive mood. He is under performing so he should be in a bad mood to gain people respect???????
          Makes no sense.
          He doesn’t strike me as a guy who quits or sits around. And I doubt you have ever seen his training habits… But we can all assume we know everything that goes on cause we read a guys face just before a commercial break….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• 29 goals for 5 million is under performing?? lmao.

• joeybarrie says:

You think paying 5 million for 29 goals is a good deal????
          Factor in only 17 assists and you have probably 75% of the forwards making over 4 million doing better than you are.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• I think if you’re expected to score goals, 29 goals is a respectable amount. Of course I rather have him score 50 goals for 5 million, but the guy’s who score 50 goals get between 6 and 10 million.

• joeybarrie says:

David Jones, Danny Cleary, Rene Bourque, Mike Knuble, and Scott Hartnell all had similar numbers last season…
            Out of players who had under 50 points last season who leads them in salary… Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez….
            Its a team thing…

• Bripro says:

The frustrating thing is he admitted he was under par last year.
      You would think he would have noticed earlier on in the year, and stepped it up. The only time he’s shone was in the 2010 playoffs.
      He seems to add a great dimension to the dressing room, but let’s hope he adds some on the ice next year.

• PeterStone says:

well, he didnt even bring 3.5M$ worth of effort last year. At this point, its money spent, hopefully, he has a little pride, and brings the effort level up a few notches this season.

23. Bripro says:

Is everybody on vacation, or am I a little slow?
    I log on now, and notice that you guys were posting for “hot chicks” at 7 this morning. Even MAB was looking for a chubby at that hour.
    I tried to encourage my wife to apply for the Hab’s job.
    She looked at me like I had two heads….oh well, so much for a cash cow position.

24. B915 says:

NHL players care about winning the Stanley Cup…not the city they win it in…does it matter if it’s won in Edmonton, Pittsburg ,
    Detroit,Boston or Montreal it’s the Cup that matters most. I haven’t heard of any players complaining when they win the Cup saying I wish it was in Montreal.

But there is not a player in the National Hockey League who doesnt know that winning the Stanley Cup IN MONTREAL will be a huge highlight of a career as well as a lifetime.

• joeybarrie says:

Better to win a cup than none at all… Goes without saying.
      But when a team comes on your radar that has the potential its in a persons mind.
      Winning a Cup in TAMPA is not the same as winning one in Montreal.
      A few weeks after the Lightning won, I was in Tampa, and the Airport still had a Congratulations to the Bucs for winning the Super Bowl 1.5 years prior… But nothing about winning the Stanley Cup.

Also ask yourself how bad do you want the Habs to win the Cup? Now how bad do you want to help them win one???

Lastly, ask yourself if Bourque would have rather won a cup in Boston or Colorado???

Yes its great to win a Cup, but nothing better than to win one in the best hockey city in the world…

25. secretdragonfly says:

Apologies if this has already been posted. Looks like the goalies of a certain age are starting to call it quits.

Patrick Lalime retires, joins RDS

26. BONZOHABS says:

I WISH I could have that job! I’m not 100% percent bilingual so I’m already out of the running. lol. Things I would do to just even have a quick meet and greet with selected players. Just to be in that dressing room and Bell Center for me would be an honor! I live in Windsor, ONT. and am planning on going to Bell Center to watch a game! I cannot wait! That job would be icing on the cake! Basically a Habs groupie with his/her own show! Go to every game, meet/interview players and speculate! It would be a dream! This summer is way too long! Can’t wait for season to start! Go Habs Go!

27. Malice says:

Anyone care to share their thoughts on Alain Berger? Need some more to read at work.

Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness was

28. Propwash says:

I guess it’s easier having a constant negative outlook on the Habs, one would never be disappointed.

• joeybarrie says:

I think that there are two types of people. Positive and negative.
      I am happy that i am positive. Gives me something to look forward to.
      I sometimes feel sorry for negative people. Seems to me they can never be happy.

• Malice says:

lol still a good vid nonetheless
      Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness was

29. joeybarrie says:

Lots of talk (again) about how UFAs come to Montreal or any team.
    Anyone thinking its simply about money is wrong. Anyone thinking its about going to a team they like is wrong, and anyone thinking they are looking for a certain city is also wrong…
    It’s a function of the 3 (with a high emphasis on the money). It also has to do with the staff, the reputation and the facilities. And I believe finally it had to do with the fans themselves.
    Who wouldn’t want to play for the Montreal Canadiens? Who wouldn’t want to be one of the guys to help this team win a cup?
    But in the end it simply comes down timing. Every player has a contract they want and think they can get. No one is choosing NYI over MTL for 500k and one extra year… No one who really wants to win a Stanley Cup.
    You got usually about 2-5 teams who are on your radar and want you too. You usually pick the best contract after that.
    But there are a few factors that help and hurt the Habs.
    MEDIA………. Negative
    Taxes………. Negative
    Cost of living… Also currently negative. (cdn dollar is stronger and things are more expensive in montreal than most US cities)
    Weather……Negative

FANS……….Positive… (sometimes negative)

• JD_ says:

Are you married?

• joeybarrie says:

Yes, to an Italian American.

• JD_ says:

Then I’m a bit surprised you didn’t mention the Happy Wife, Happy Life factor. There’s a fair amount of high-maintenance babe action out there and I’ve heard too many first-hand stories.

For the record, I don’t think cost of livin’ differentials play any material role in the decision-makin’. Guys who gross in excess of seven figures are more concerned with bigger picture issues and, frankly, the only NHL market that could ostensibly stretch the average NHLer’s take home is New York City. Even then, there is huge quality of life upside.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ah I thought you were asking him out.

• joeybarrie says:

I agree with the cost of living in retrospect.
            I should also mention when i talk about players decision based on liking a city, I put in there the likes and desires of his family he is bringing with him.

• JD_ says:

Vicarious disappointment, doc?

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm.
      I disagree with your negatives.
      Media: not negative. The players generally don’t read the papers, so I don’t think it’s an issue. Ask Alex Kovalev about how negative the media is here. I’m sure he’ll look at you like you’re crazy.
      Taxes: I originally thought that because players have to pay 50%, they wouldn’t want to play here. Then I read an article (and a number of posts) that proved that that percentage is not too far off any other state or province’s highest bracket. That really isn’t an issue.
      Cost of Living: When you’re making significant money, like they are, it’s not cost of living, but STANDARD of living that is important to a hockey player (especially those with families). Montreal (and its environs) regularly places in the top 10 of places to live in North America. In 1994, Pointe Claire was voted best place to live in Canada, the same year that Canada was voted best place to live in the world (by one of those big organizations. Can’t remember which one).
      Weather: I love the Montreal weather. It’s why I love to live here. Hockey players don’t give a crap about the weather. It’s hockey. It’s supposed to snow throughout their season. Ask any Canadian player who plays in the Sun Belt and they’ll say that it’s strange to be on the beach before or after a game, and that they prefer to play hockey when there’s snow on the ground.

Finally, ask most Russian players who come from crazy little towns in Siberia how bad Montreal is.

Point being, I’m not saying that you’re knocking Montreal, or anything, but I don’t think that those ‘negative’ points really come into UFA decision-making.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

I did a back of the envelope calculation based on wikipedia data (so take with a grain of salt) and found that the tax disparity is approx. 10% in Montreal compared to an average US town like New York or Philadelphia. It would probably be higher compared to Texas or Florida.

So not nothing but not a huge factor either. It may mean the Habs need to overpay by 10% or so, however people actually don’t look at tax rates when making relocation decisions, especially young adults.

The US/Canada tax disparity is actually much greater for people earning 100-300K. In Canada the max tax bracket starts at 128K. In the US at 375K.

• LA Loyalist says:

Canadian taxes are trending down.

US taxes are trending up, unless Obama is turfed in 012 and there are tax cuts.

The strong Canadian dollar should really help all Canadian teams this year and hopefully going forward.

A nice house in Outrement or Westmount costs far less than a comparable house here in LA or down in Newport Beach (Ducks).

My house in LA is 1700 sq ft on point .15 acres and is just under $1.4 million.

When I think about what that would buy in Canada I just cry.

30. OneTimer says:

Timo, this is your chance buddy! A job opening with the big club! You know how you’re always sarcastically whining about this and that. Show’em all what you can do, and work your way to the top! It’d be a shame to let such a …confident… hockey mind go to waste!

Go Timo!!!

31. Hobie Hansen says:

I have a feeling Scott Gomez might just pull a Carey Price this year and make a lot of people eat their words.

I for one never trashed Price like a lot of people but I have certainly voiced my displeasure about Gomez many times.

I think it is very possible Gomez comes back next year and plays 82 games with a healthy Pacioretty and Gionta and puts up 60-70 points.

Then just like with the Carey Price situation, the other cities are going to be telling us we don’t deserve Gomez because we booed him and didn’t support him through the tough times.

Just a thought!

• HalifaxHabs says:

I sort of have the same feeling about Gomer this year to Hobie…

I’m just scared to say it out loud in here!

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve said that for a little while.
        I have a feeling he’s going to bounce back.
        He’s too good a player to carry on the way he did last season.
        I’m looking forward to seeing him play this year.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• naweed235 says:

and to really make us all choke on our words he scores the Stanley Cup winning Goal in OT!!!

one can only dream

• Hobie Hansen says:

An then you’re going to hear everybody claiming that they never said anything bad about Gomez!

• Ian Cobb says:

Gomez is just fine,! there has to be one player each year to be picked on consistently by the negative non thinker.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gomez reminds me of a MLB baseball player who gets off to a brutal start and hits .185 for the first two months of the season. Even though he improves, he his never able to get that average over .240.

At the end of the year the player hits .240 with 16 HRs and 60 RBI.

That same player comes back the next season, starts hot and finishes the season batting .290 with 25 HRs and 100 RBI.

• RGM says:

For just an extra $130K per year you can get a guy that’s 21 years old and has scored 50 and 45 goals in the past two seasons. There is a very legitimate reason that Gomez gets picked on to the extent that he does.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I guess it comes down to what you mean by “you can get”

because no team other team in the NHL besides Tampa(including the Habs) “could get” a 21 yr old with 95 goals in the past 2 seasons for 7.5 million/yr.

I hear what you’re saying, and I agree that there is a VERY legitimate reason why Gomez gets flogged so bad in here, but you say it like any team can get that player for that money, eventhough I’m sure that’s not what you meant!

• Propwash says:

Well, it definately can’t get much worse.

• LA Loyalist says:

I suspect I am one of the leaders of the “hang Gomez from the nearest gas lamp” brigade, but I hope to hell you are right.

I will say though I don’t think the situation is comparable with Price at all, as Price was, and remains, quite young and the future was unknown (as with any young player). Though sometimes young players flame out, youth is no guarantee of improvement.

Gomez is much more a known commodity, and therefore there is much more data available about him which makes projecting his potential performance much more potentially accurate than projecting performance of talented but mercurial young guys (Price, many other examples around the league).

That’s all. I don’t buy the argument that he will play better out of personal pride. You don’t just suddenly grow pride. If pulling on the jersey of The Montreal Canadiens doesn’t make you an inch taller and a step faster I don’t know what will…

32. CHasman says:

It’s a tough job being a GM. Do nothing and you get roasted. Do something big and you get raked over the Coles. Gauthier picks up a big forward who can hit and score, we should be happy. With a younger,faster D, and blossoming forwards (Patch, Eller, Desharnais), not to mention a Goalie who is destined for even greater things, all that remains is the ‘intangibles’ and that my fellow Habs fans is always the most exciting and sometimes disappointing part of the season.
    Some predictions for the next season….Gomez puts up better numbers,(but never 8 miillion dollar numbers), Cammy doesn’t finish the season with us, and PKSubban becomes a star. (Super stardom on the horizon.)

• kempie says:

I’m actually loving what I’m hearing from the experts this time. That the Cole signing is rated as the worst UFA signing of the year followed by the Markov “gamble”, how we’re still a small, soft team, PK isn’t that great and Cole can’t score without Staal, the team hasn’t improved and we’re an easy out in the first round. That should take enough pressure off the boys and piss them off at the same time

I agree about 2 of your predictions but Cammy’s not going anywhere.

• G-Man says:

I agree the Habs are set to do well this upcoming season. However, under what circumstances do the Habs rid themselves of their best playoff scorer in recent memory?

• CHasman says:

I have two reasons for making the prediction, neither of which is that I want it to happen. First, it’s happened twice in his career already and I can’t say exactly why because I’m not privy to that insider info, and second because he will be in demand come the trade deadline. Predictions are just that, predictions.

• GenerationYHabs says:

I can’t think of much I would rather have to trade Cammy for come trade deadline, considering he’s been one of the best playoff preformers of any team the last couple of seasons.

• savethepuck says:

Do you seriously think this team will be a seller at the next deadline? Highly doubtful unles they have more injury problems than last year and a lot of players have to play well below their abilities and expectations.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• LA Loyalist says:

PK is especially exciting. It really brings home what a drag it is now with 300 teams that PK won’t play regularly against Doughty, Weber and other talented young defencemen (of which we’ve had a great crop lately).

Why do you think Cammy won’t be here? (though admittedly he’s one of our few tradeable assets) Do you think we’ll flip him for a couple of non-scoring 4th line guys (I know this is what Martin has spent the summer fantasizing about).

33. RetroMikey says:

Gionta’s first choice was Buffalo NOT Montreal when he signed with us.
    Also, any Habs free agent that signs a fat contract with us is going to tell the media and the fans “how great it is to play in this city, the great history of this club”. etc..
    But I do like Cole, and hope he will play what is expected of him, which is????

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Timo says:

Block shots, play defensive shell, watch and learn from Gomez.

• J_P says:

Seriously. Its like the people who said that gionta and Cammy came here because we acquired gomez. We gave them $25M and $30M reasons, respectively, to come to montreal.

I liked the cole signing, and was even advocating that cole should be the guys that the habs target. I just dont like the term and dollar value we gave him. However, teams are almost always going to overpay unrestricted free agents, and we got the guy I wanted, so cant complain too much about it. Lets hope he learns to like Montreal real fast, and earns that fat contract that PG gave him.

I expect him to grind along the boards, go hard to the net, and create some space for our skilled players.

• Kooch7800 says:

I love the cole signing. If we didn’t pony up on term and cash he would still be in Carolina. He has already said that.

I am happy to have him as a hab.

Cole’s contract is nowhere near the worst on the team. Look at the Tim Connoly (sp?) singing toronto for 4.25 when he is always hurt. Cole will be 36 when the contract is done. That is just fine

• LA Loyalist says:

My personal opinion is that Cole was the closest guy to our real need that was available and his deal is competitive. We could not have gotten him for much less. He certainly always played well against us.

Is he Kovalchuk? No. But he should be a piece of the puzzle. If MaxPax is healthy, if BigK brings some consistency in a contract year… a lot of ifs, but I think we can be competitive this year.

Can we win a cup? Not with Martin and Gomez here, but I think we’ll be better than last year.

34. RGM says:

Habs talk from the 30 Thoughts:
    “17. Sounds like Erik Cole was set to go back to Carolina for three years, even at slightly less money than Montreal was offering. Then, Pierre Gauthier added a fourth season and the Hurricanes backed off. That was the difference.”

And now we know how it is that Gauthier convinced Cole to come north instead of staying in his comfort zone in Carolina. Smart move? Time will tell. I hope it pays off.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

@RGM, so you don’t read that as, thanks to the call from Gionta and the fact I like Montreal as a kid that’s why he came to Montreal! lol

I think PG did what he had to do to get him. Obviously we had him targeted as the UFA we wanted. I think it was a gamble adding that last year, but it was the only to get him.

I am happy with the move.

• Chrisadiens says:

I also heard Gionta played a part as well. I believe they are both from upstate NY.

I’m hopeful Cole will open up some space for Cammy to score 30+.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

35. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Direct requirement from the job posting:

“•At ease talking with new people; charming, spontaneous and can think on her feet”

Does that mean I would have to wear heels and a spot of mascara on my demo reel?

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

36. thehabsfan29 says:

Would you sign chris drury to a 1 year contract for maybe 1-1.5?

What about todd white? he could be very useful on the 4th line and wouldn’t be that expensive

thoughts?

• Chrisadiens says:

No, I think Drury is done. We already have one NYR throwaway.

As for Todd White, I dont hate the idea, but I’d rather give Engqvist a shot. The more I hear about him the more I like him.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

• thehabsfan29 says:

i like engqvist but i think a verteran 4th line center is needed
        halpern played very well for us last season and i think white could fit that role very well

plus i dont think it can hurt engqvist very much if he spent one more season in hamilton

White 1 year/ 875k? maybe 1 mil at most

37. Chrisadiens says:

From Francois Gagnon via twitter:
    Petit coucou de la Floride: n’écartez pas le nom de Mark Crawford pour succéder à Kirk Muller… http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon/2011/07/20/disney-la-mer-une-nouvelle-job-des-beaux-cadeaux-pour-les-vacances/ bonnes vacances!

Mark Crawford a possibility for assistant coach? What do you guys think?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

38. Too bad we couldn’t get DeBoer, I got to watch a lot of him here in Florida and he’s a very smart coach. He’s very good at developing a plan based on the players he has to work with. He can play a defensive minded game, but he’s also not afraid to give the offense the go-ahead to turn it on when appropriate.

39. eurekabru says:

Nice discriminatory job offering.

40. Mattyleg says:

Okay, here’s an open question:

What’s the stupidest thing you’ve heard at a Habs game? Like, from other fans?
    (booing isn’t allowed)

I’ll post mine in a bit.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• G-Man says:

Benoit Brunet*

*I know it doesn’t count but I couldn’t help myself.

• Mattyleg says:

Thing! Not person!
        … but he certainly came up with some crackers.
        Like “Il faut qu’ils continussent…”
        That ain’t French. Not by a long shot.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

Enoueye, rentes y la tete dans la bande.

• Timo says:

Let’s go Bruins.

• Mattyleg says:

Okay, the stupidest thing I heard was when we were playing San Jose, and every time Danny Heatley touched the puck, the guy in front of me would yell: “You killed your best friend!! You killed your best friend!!” and laugh like a retard.

It was very awkward.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• G-Man says:

That has got to be the stupidest. Wow, talk about no clue.

• LA Loyalist says:

What was that dopey old pop song? “People let me tell ya ’bout my best friend…” — they should have played that on the ice in San Jose everytime Heatley came on.

I think the last time I posted something about Heatley I got in trouble on here. Oh, oh. But you guys started it.

• centre hice says:

Personally, I’ve always hated the OLE OLE OLE chant.

For an organization with such long standing tradition, I hate the fact that the fans had to adopt a soccer chant.

• longbow says:

And an ex baseball mascot.Especially one that comes in the wrong color.

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Centre Hice, I couldn’t agree with you more. That chant has got to go.

• LA Loyalist says:

When I was a kid at Maple Leaf Gardens (sorry) there was always a drunk up in the greys with a broken (I’m sure) trumpet. I doubt he’d get it through security now, but back then it was pretty funny. His timing was of course, horrific.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I have two. My uncle, who was a bit of a wag, would shout: “Tuuuuuuue” (Kill) whenever a Canadiens was lining up an opponent for a check. He was very proper and droll, so even as a boy I knew he was kidding and mocking other blood-thirsty fans, but he cracked me up every time. He would start real low with the ‘u’ and drag it out, sometimes while polishing his glasses. This was the same man who would excitedly exclaim: “S’il avait pas manqué le filet, elle etait dedans!” (If he hadn’t missed the net it would have gone in!), or “Si le gardien l’avait pas arrêté, c’était un but certain!” (If the goalie hadn’t stopped it that was a sure goal!) He would make these absurd pronouncements as if they were profound, and made watching hockey a hilarious event.

One other was told to me by my buddy Scott who grew up a Jets fan. He said the Winnipeg Arena could be very quiet, with reserved but knowledgeable fans watching the action. One night he had tickets in the upper reaches of the arena, and nearby there was an enormous fan with a grease-stained jersey stretched tight on his belly. He had a booming voice that carried well, and he would shout his observations at strategic moments, the usual stuff about the Jets sucking. At one point however, during a lull in the action while players waited for the faceoff, the fan stood up again and took in a deep breath. “Neufeld!…”, he thundered, in a deep low voice, with a slight pause to get everyone’s attention, “…you’re a n*****!!!!”

Now Scott is a good story teller, and he has been caught embellishing a couple of times, but he swears this ricocheted around the arena and that the players on the ice heard it and shuffled around, embarrassed. Ray Neufeld was also waiting for the puck to drop, but didn’t react. The good people of Winnipeg in the area absorbed this and there was a hush in the crowd, as they sat there in disbelief. A couple seconds later, a couple of fathers and concerned citizens in the crowd, some of who had already talked to this guy and had asked him to keep his mouth in check a little, turned on him and started to let him have it. The creep shot right back and swore at everyone trying to talk sense into him, they started swearing back, it very quickly escalated into a shove by the creep. He instantly was swarmed by a half-dozen men who pounded him and got him to the ground, until security showed up and dragged him away, to a standing ovation from everyone in the section.

———————————

41. joeybarrie says:

I saw some comment below about Tampa. The only thing I see as a long term issue in Tampa is the fact they will be forced to sign or keep third line players for their 2nd line. If Stamkos, LaCav or St Louis go thru a slump or get injured, they are not looking good. If two of the three go out, they are in serious trouble.
    However, in my estimation the Stamkos contract is not terrible. 21 and can pot 50-70 goals if he plays well all season…
    Their problem is once those players are on the bench.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

Mr. Friedman from CBC here are his recent 30 thoughts good reading. Interesting comments on the Wiz!

I have a suggestion for this job being advertised. She is a mature lady who grew up a Habs fan in Northern Ontario. Not sure about the dual language capability (actually quite sure English only).

Recently Divorced and Remarried. We would have instant street credibility. The reason she would be available is due to recent stress in her life, her voice is not capable of singing as she once did. But she is fine for speaking.

Yes folks, Shania Twain will be the next PR person for the Habs!!!

Thoughts?

• G-Man says:

Drool.Drool…. oops!
      Shania has a tv series on OWN.
      Doesn’t impress me much.

I just remember she did that video wearing a Habs uniform, kind of sold me on her for the job. I mean we are the Habs, we wouldn’t put just anyone in that job.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Only problem is, she also appeared wearing a Sens and *barf* Laffs jerseys.

Loyalty is now questioned! :)

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• Chrisadiens says:

LOL…i see what ya did there.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

• Everlasting1 says:

Another travelling gig is the last thing she needs. A recipe for another failed marriage.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

44. Chrisadiens says:

Sergei is like that psycho ex-girlfriend that cannot get over you.

Article is in Russian, but you can get the main idea from Google translate. Any Russian speaking members of HIO out there?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

• kempie says:

Pfffffffft.

Did a quick scan through best I can tell, he mentioned he liked not having to backcheck in Nashville, country music has grown on him, and he is happy their is no expectation to perform well in the playoffs in Nashville.

• Chrisadiens says:

Thanks Burly. Maybe Google translate isn’t the best. Hah. Thought I read complaints about being made into a checker in Montreal and about his brother playing on the 3rd line/4th line recently.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

• habaddict_andy says:

No expectations!!!! Definitely not made for Montreal. I’m glad he’s gone. I hope no one else mention him again to make a point about management’s faut-pas.

Go! Hockey! Go!

• RGM says:

If an interviewer asks him a question, he’s going to answer it.
      Habs fans have the option of not bothering to read the interview, let alone posting it. Given the number of times that Sergei’s name has come up this summer, it sounds more like Habs fans are the ex-boyfriend that pretends to be beyond a person but just can’t let go.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Chrisadiens says:

Touche. Maybe I get a little sensitive about my Habs.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

• RGM says:

It’s understandable – we all love this team and don’t take kindly to ex-players that talk down about the organization. But I’m of the view that there’s a sliding scale of importance out there – when Roy left and gave his reasons, THAT was something worth talking about a great deal. A never-will-be like Sergei is barely worth the digital ink.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Chrisadiens says:

Great point!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, the first and only father-son tandem on HIO.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Imagine if we’d had HIO during the days when Roy threw up his arms, crossed back on the bench, then was traded…

The server would have had a heart attack, let alone crashed.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• HalifaxHabs says:

LOL… there would have actually been servers exploding.

45. GenerationYHabs says:

I was just looking up some stats on Yemelin and while I knew he was supposed to be physical and enjoyed throwing his weight around on the ice, I had no idea he was that big.

He’s 6’2 and and not insignificant 220lbs and to put that in perspective Eric Cole is the same height and only 205 lbs while pouliot is an inch taller and only 199.

• Ian Cobb says:

Pouliot’s heart was very light, is the main difference, me thinks!

• pmaraw says:

lol ian, nice one :D

• krob1000 says:

disagree…..his confidence may have been light and at times his focus…but I do not question his heart. He was willing to muck it up, drop his gloves and was not hesitant about stepping into a scrum for a teammate…signs of a heart to me. He did however have issues with Jacques’ system and sometimes got sucked in and took dumb penalties. He was hot/cold offensively and that is usually a confidence thing as well. I don’t think his heart is an issue though…in fact I am of the mindset that he will thrive in Boston. He will not have unrealstic expectations thrust on him , he will not have to look over his shoulder every second and second guess himself, he will be surrounded by a big strong tough team and let to play. Boston is still a very defensive team but they are also modeled like our teams of a few years back where they are very deep and guys stuck on the third line and even fourth line in Boston will still be able to produce. I would be shocked if Pouliot doesn’t score a minimum of 15 goals this year, lay out some thunderous hits and generally improve. I think we gave on him 1 year too early …. this year with PAcioretty back, Cole signed, Eller and Dessy a year wiser…I think the depth was there for him to have a little success….not sure he and Martin get along well enough though so maybe it wouldn’t have worked out but the depth would finally have been there.

• habs03 says:

I agree with krob1000, confidence was a huge issue for him, he seems like a nice guy that had his confidence ruined with the way the Wild developed him. But I have to disagree, he shouldn’t have signed with the Bruins, CJ will be even harder on him than JM was. The best thing for him would have been to go to a small market team like the Panthers, Stars, Islanders, teams that don’t have any pressure to win.

• G-Man says:

The unrealistic expectation that he has to bring it every night? Seriously, the man falls on his face by himself, and that’s expected up to peewee, but afterwards…
          Pouliot was let go for all the right reasons. A player shouldn’t have to be convinced to play; that fire to play should be innate.

• krob1000 says:

apply your comment “A player shouldn’t have to be convinced to play; that fire to play should be innate”
            to scott gomez and now were talking …a vet making one of the top salaries in the league..this is Pouliot….something tells me though it is ok for gomer but not POluiot to have a rough stretch desptie the fact he has never really ahd any success and is still growing as a player. I would bet anything that if POuliot got consistent pp time and stayed on the top line all year he would have outscored and outperformed Gomez…heck maqthieu SDarche would have but our coaches/fans choose to protect vets Gomez and hang out to dry the kids who mistakes are expected of…

• G-Man says:

reply to you about Gomez.

A vet having a terrible year does get the benefit of the doubt from his coach because the coach has seen what he can do and is aware of his capabilities. EVERY VET HAS BAD TO POOR SEASONS during their long careers.
          Every time Pouliot was given the opportunity over a period of time, he failed.

• J_P says:

I dont think pouliot’s heart was the issue, its his lanky frame and total lack of balance that was his problem.

• Mats Naslund says:

Yemelin may or may not be 6’2 220. I don’t really see that size in most of the (admittedly limited) footage I’ve seen. Not that he’s small, but I’d say he’s only a tad bigger than say Gorges or Subban (although with Subban’s summer workout regimen, he may play significantly bigger than last year). Until I see him standing beside comparable players (in size): Brooks Orpik, Johnny Boychuk, Andrej Meszaros, Aaron Rome, Brent Seabrook – type players it’ll be difficult to say how accurate those numbers are.

This much is for sure though – he’s got decent size and likes to lay the body – but people shouldn’t be expecting a heavy weight. Watch the youtube clip of him VS Svitov for evidence of that. He’s a balanced defender who can move the puck well and contribute a little bit offensively. I think ultimately he’ll be an upgrade over Hamrlik physically, although the old Czech’s hockey-sense is undeniable. If Yemelin can ensure that his defensive game is up to NHL standards he may be like found money for the Habs at a sub-$1M contract.

46. toinz says:

Can hickey or another Gaz journo ask the Habs organization if the following is a typo…

“At ease with talking with new people; charming, spontaneous, and can think on her feet”

If it is a typo, can they follow up with a question if the Habs are looking for a copywriter hehe…

Peter DeBoar–Is an excellent coach, and would have been a good fit here for us, replacing Kirt. But there is another move that would make a great deal of sence.

That is hiring DeBoar assistant coach, Jim Hulton, whom I think is the better coach of the two. Jim has been successful as head coach at every level thus far.
    He would fit Martin’s style and knows how to take care of the special teams, winning face offs and teaching systems. He also teaches winning hockey and attitudes.

I only wonder if DeBoar takes Jim with him to Jersey.

You heard it here first, (just maybe!)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Never heard of Jim Hulton but I’m guessing that’s not how it’s spelled so won’t bother googling.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Yep, that’s how it’s spelled.

however if you actually googled it, you’d see Florida Panthers fans had started a facebook page called “Fire Jim Hulton”… it shocks me that there enough passionate Panthers fans to start a facebook page about having an assitant coach fired.

• Ian Cobb says:

Hulton is from Kingston, he was first hired by Don Cherry as head coach when Cherry owned the Mississauga Ice Dogs of the OHL many years ago. He was head coach of the Belleville Bulls, Kingston Frontenac’s and the St. Mikes Majors, (same team that came 2nd in the Memorial Cup last year) Jim also coached the under 18 juniors to a gold medal.

48. wild flower says:

A team that has Leblanc and Eller as top six forwards with Kristo on the checking lines would be….interesting. I think the pucks would be going in at the wrong end. Not sure Eyes on the Prize has had eyes on the prospects.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Louis LeBlanc is miles away from being a top 6 forward in the NHL.

• Mike D says:

Are you talking time-wise or skill-wise? I know he’s got a few years of AHL time to put in, but I thought his skill projections were that of a second line NHLer?

- Honestly yours

• HalifaxHabs says:

I’m no scout Mike, and I’m not trying to bash him. I’ve just seen him play live this year a few times in Halifax, and he certainly doesn’t look to me like he’s ready to be a top 6 NHL forward anytime soon.

Hopefully, it’s just time-wise, but it’s probably a combination of both time-wise and skill-wise… and that’s not saying he won’t hone those skills significantly in the next few years, so I’m definitely not writing him off.

It’s just sometimes you see guys in junior and you can tell by watching them they are ready to make the jump very soon, and he doesn’t look to me like he’s there yet. All that being said, he played most of this year with a injury(shoulder I think). So we’ll see what happens this season.

• ed lopaz says:

I believe that Leblanc was miscast as a winger until after the World Junior tournament, and he had already been injured in November, so his play at Center afterwards was also affected.

Certain players need to have the puck on their stick to be effective.

Eller was also miscast as a winger by the Habs – he is a pure center.

centers like to skate with the puck, they like to pass the puck, and they like to skate the whole ice.

Cammy is a great example of a guy who seems to have adapted well on the wing – he has become a shooter – a scorer – and thats great for the habs.

leblanc can score goals – he has a quick release and a very accurate shot.

with a healthy body, leblanc can work the boards as well.

he protects the puck very well with his body, and is lightning fast with his first stride coming off the boards with the puck.

he is too light weight right now to play wing at the NHL level – his build has always been very small although he is about 6 feet.

I am going to say that if the Habs insist on leblanc playing wing, he will have to change his game and become more of a pure goal scorer than a puck mover and distributor – like Cammy has done.

I see leblanc as a guy who has the mind and the heart to adapt.

But it will take 1 or maybe 2 extra years of development.

• wild flower says:

and Kristo is very shifty with an exceptional release – if he makes the NHL it won’t be for his shutdown capabilities on the 3rd or 4rth line.

• G-Man says:

Geez, those eggs haven’t hatched yet. Eller is on the 3rd line, so why project him as a top 6?

• J_P says:

because theyre doing just that, “projections”, so the article is projecting where they see eller fitting in when he reaches the prime of his career. Its definitely not outside the realm of possibility that Eller takes gomez’ spot at center in three years when gomez is gone (or sooner).

• AllHailTheFlower says:

If Gomer plays the first 20 – 30 games like he did all of last season, I think Eller’s elevation to top 6 duty is a given. Personally, I’d love to see a line of Pacioretty-Eller-Cole…I think they could do some damage!

• shiram says:

Eller got 17 points last season. For him to take Gomez’s spot, he not only needs Gomez to not perform well, but also to increase his own production.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• RGM says:

He scored as many goals as Gomez with much more limited ice time. Pretty unfair to bring up his point contributions vis-a-vis Gomez as justification to keep him out of the top 6.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Kooch7800 says:

I personally don’t know if Eller will ever be top six. I think he will be a third line Centre and a good one at that

If he was so great at offense I think he would have had more than 17 points last year.

It is the same as I think AK plays better on the third line with Eller. Eller plays a more simple game than say Gomez and AK can pot more goals that way. AK is good player who can play in the top 6 when needed but I think benefits more from the third line style play.

That is just my opinion though.

• G-Man says:

Agree. I am really hoping Eller and AK explode for some goals early in the season, forcing other teams to worry about 3 lines.
          Much depends on the Gomez and the Pleks line coming through with goal production. If it all pans out, the Habs may be transformed into a scoring team with good to great D and an elite goalie. Of course, all the players would have to add grit and sand to their resumé, otherwise all is lost. ;)

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree I think they would be a deadly third line AK would benefit from the less coverage as well.

Not sure who the other Winger would be on that line…Darche, DD? I still Pouliot would have been worth keeping at 1 mill a season for the third line

• Mats Naslund says:

I think if you play Lars Eller with line mates not named Ryan White, Travis Moen, Mathieu Darche, Benoit Pouliot, etc you would see much higher points totals. He wasn’t pretty for most of last season, but there many moments (especially later in the year) in which he was clearly the best player on the ice. He has very good vision, great puck handling skills, above average speed, and size enough to make an impact when he does into a corner. When he reaches physical maturity he’s going to be a very good forward. This is not to say he doesn’t need a whole bunch of work to get there.. but considering he’s an ’89 birthday – the future is very bright for him.

• Kooch7800 says:

White actually doesn’t have that bad of hands for a grinder and really Darche doesn’t either but I get your point. Don’t underestimate what a solid third line centre. Look at Jeff Carter

49. Mattyleg says:

“Steven Stamkos was the first pick in the draft. The things an organization has to go through to get those kind of players is difficult and painful.”

Ha!! That’s got to be a candidate for quote of the off-season.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

Do you think he meant the negotiations are difficult or tanking for years is painful? Both I guess.

• Mattyleg says:

Probably.
        And ‘difficult to keep a team afloat when sucking so badly’ and ‘painful to watch’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HalifaxHabs says:

I think the tanking for years part is painful is what he meant.

But the negotiations were probably about as fun as getting kicked in the junk.

• J_P says:

I have to say though, tampa did pretty well for themselves. Sure, Stamkos is getting a lot of money, but he could have easily demanded one of those 12 year deals.

• HalifaxHabs says:

agree, the kid is 21 and he’s lead the NHL in total goals over the last 2 years… we knew he was going to get stupid money in his deal, so good on Stevie Y for getting it done without crippling his franchise for years to come (see Vinnie’s contract)

• G-Man says:

TBay has put themselves in the wonderful position of having to lose Lecavalier or St. Louis, especially during the 2012/13 season when Hedman is due for his contract.

• RGM says:

Not likely. While they will certainly have to re-stock the cupboard after this season they’ll have $26M in payroll free, and Hedman’s cap hit for this year is $3.5M anyways.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

50. G-Man says:

I know Johnny Bellyful has applied for the assistant coach’s job, but this might be right up his alley!

51. BeeGee says:

Subtle: “…charming, spontaneous and can think on her feet.”

52. Curtis O Habs says:

What is stopping you? Your age?

Glad to see Arpon Basu back from holidays. He’s one of the top Hab writers on the scene.

Barring injuries, we should begin the season with three rookies – White, Engqvist and Emelin. That’s always a healthy sign in terms of regeneration although I’m not sure how I feel about two kids being together on the 4th line (I’m not too keen on having DD as our 4th centre on a full time basis). It will certainly be a boost if Engqvist can take a regular shift and kill penalties. It also would be great if he can be over 50% on face-offs. That’s still a major problem for the team in general. It’s difficult to have puck possession when you lose it in the circle so many times. Maybe the new assistant coach can address this problem. Or we could bring in Yanic Perreault as a training camp consultant.

• BeeGee says:

I read somewhere that Engqvist was good on faceoffs + he’s big, has good defensive instinct and shoots right. Now it’s up to him to prove he can make it in the bigs… I wish him luck!

• Chris says:

Do they have enough spots to play both White and Engvist?

The team has 10 sure-fire forwards, barring injuries:

Cammalleri, Plekanec, Cole, Pacioretty, Gomez, Gionta, Darche, Eller, Kostisyn and Moen.

That leaves White, Engqvist, Palushaj and Desharnais to fight it out for the remaining two spots on the roster. I suspect White and Desharnais have the inside track, to be honest.

And I think Yanic Perreault would be an excellent choice. That being said, if Plekanec couldn’t learn how to take draws better by having coaches like Guy Carbonneau and Kirk Muller, I’m not sure he’s ever going to truly get it.

• habs03 says:

Habs carry 13 forwards so I think its White, DD, and one spot still open for someone else.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Don’t forget our team specialty: too many men on the ice penalties.

• Mats Naslund says:

My take is 13 forwards (very seldom do teams carry less):

Cammy-Plex-Cole
        Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
        Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn
        Moen-Enqvist-White

Utility forward to be subbed in when needed: Darche (he’s so versatile and there will be planty of opportunity with injury)
        First call up for offensive lines: Pulashaj

I wouldn’t be surprised if PG makes a move to bring in another centre with size for the 4th line if he isn’t comfy with Enqvist starting the year on the 4th line. I’m not opposed to him being there personally. He’s got a big frame (6’4″) and as long as he’s been hitting the weights over the summer could be a good/cheap option. He’s got PK skills and was decent in his limited 3 game span with the Canadiens last season.

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Well I know I do not have the looks for this job, but good luck to all perky women under 25 with good… Assets.

55. shootdapuck says:

Watchout!

Bugs, Tom, and emann all have it it the bag!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

56. MTLForever says:

what a sick job that would be

57. Haligonian-Hab says:

trying to convince my girlfriend to apply

58. Chris says:

I’ll not hold my breath that they find somebody remotely competent for that position.

Generally, you need to be attractive to be on T.V. in such a role. Knowledge or competence is an added bonus, but not historically necessary.

• adam76 says:

I doubt she will know the difference between a slap shot and a wrist shot.

They will go one of two directions – a hot chick (I would bet hard money on this) or try to find someone “funny” like Garry Dee.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I dare say gaining knowledge of hockey isn’t a huge challenge. It isn’t only not rocket science. Complexity-wise, it’s not even baseball or football.

In fact, is there a single topic that is easier than hockey?

59. HabsPEI31 says:

Based on your profile pic, adam, it may be a stretch :)

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

60. habs-hampton says:

Sounds to good to be true. Kinda like George Costanza getting the “Assistant to the Travelling Secretary” gig with the Yankees!

• centre hice says:

That’s hilarious!

I can just see myself in the Canadiens’ offices and telling Geoff Molson to his face how his running the team into the ground, and Molson blurting out “HIRE THIS MAN!”

Man, I love Seinfeld.

61. HabsPEI31 says:

No kidding, dream job… will they pay for my relocation from PEI to Mtl?!

I might even consider giving up the CF Reserves – the full time civvy job can suck it – for a job like this…

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante