Young Oilers Debut Promises Fun Season

From the NY Times Slap Shot blog:

Who before the season was willing to take the Edmonton Oilers
seriously? Not too many come to mind. TSN, for example, ranked them last
in their preseason
rankings of N.H.L. clubs
. Hockey Night in Canada was a bit more
charitable

But if you watched their game last night (and the N.H.L. Center Ice
package is in free preview mode right now), you were treated to a hugely
entertaining performance by the Oil, highlighted by this excellent
Jordan Eberle shorthanded goal in his first N.H.L. game (video) which gave his team a 2-0 lead over the Flames. A nice way to break
in, eh?

(And if you want to hear an excited radio announcer, listen to new
Oilers play-by-play man Jack Michaels call it in the

highlights of his first N.H.L. game. That even impressed
the “Three Guys on the Radio” crew on Ottawa’s Team 1200, who replayed

Michaels’s call on their program today.)

Eberle scored another goal last night as well, the final goal of the
game on the power play (video) as the Oilers blanked Calgary 4-0. On the N.H.L.’s
first day of regular season action, they
threw the puck around pretty
well in what was the most aesthetically pleasing game, unless you’re a Flames fan. Remember
Calgary had won all its preseason games, including a pair over the
Oilers, so this is instructive to anyone thinking preseason games
matter.

Now, Edmonton may not make the playoffs; they certainly are going to
have some problems, evident in their play during the second period, when
the Flames outshot them 18-7. But they do have some of the same
ingredients that made the Avalanche one of the league’s big surprises
last year, specifically, a lot of good young forwards and a good
goaltender.

Continue reading at “The Morning Skate:
Young Oilers Debut Promises Fun Season

1. DavidKB says:

I predict that Jordan Eberle goal will be in the top 10 all year long.

2. ooder says:

hey guys check out this goal by Markov:

this was in a final game in the euroleague in the 98/99 season.

the goal needs no explanation :)

——————

88 is the new 23

3. Mattyleg says:

Excuse me, I sincerely doubt that anything in Ottawa could be dull!

errrr…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Exit716 says:

Three Guys on the Radio in Ottawa is really dull and annoying.

5. HABZ24 says:

ive never been an oilers watcher but these three newcommers appear to be the real deal so far. pays to tank an entire season to get first draft pix.

hammy still out, better to nurse it then rush it and get hurt again, marky and subban together looooook out. subban will be the next ray bourque u heard it here first.

pitt seeks revenge in their new arena after we knocked them out last spring, itll be a good game.

6. Mattyleg says:

Yeah really. But, I have no doubt that they’ll grind it out like every year…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. WestHab says:

First off the flames were terriabla. Give the season a week before  all this and that about the oilers and that team that stole water from lakes around here and Quecec to pour on their blue ice. Last night was not a good night in this house hold. DC and CBC made me a bigger Habs fan than ever and my kid a bigger flamer. I pledeged not to take hockey as seriously this year but damm those egocentric toronto……..(lots of words that could get me  kicked out on the cyber sidewalk)

this could be an old rant but I’ve been busy.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

New Jersey’s feeling the pinch of Brodeur being 38.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. Mattyleg says:

As I mentioned in another thread, the first few games of the season are always full of crazy goals etc because the teams don’t have their systems down yet, the D aren’t in full communication mode, and the forwards (especially the young ones) haven’t been pummled enough yet to know that the toe-drags they’re doing are super dangerous.

It’s very entertaining, but it’s going to change, and it’s the teams that can grind it out over the season that’ll do well, not a bunch of young hot-shots.

Look at New Jersey.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. SeriousFan09 says:

London Knight Jarred Tinordi gets his first two points (assists), was +2 and 2nd star of the game in a 3-0 shutout of the Belleville Bulls tonight. Captain of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles D Morgan Ellis recorded his first goal of the year, but his team lost in a 3-2 Shootout decision. D Mac Bennett recorded no points but enjoyed a 4-1 win with University of Michigan over Bowling Green State U, he’s playing on the 3rd defensive pair to start the season as a freshman. Ex-Michigan players in the Habs organization include Max Pacioretty, Aaron Palushaj and star sniper Mike Cammalleri.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. ProHabs says:

Funny video clip on TSN about the Oilers players razzing Everle about his goal last night. Funny stuff from Horcoff, Whitney and Vandermeer along with Hall and Everle himself.

12. santeri says:

And a Gordie Howe Hat Trick for Pavel to boot! No worries of the 5th Lady Byng this season.

13. Hagar says:

The battle of Alberta is gonna be lame this year. Edmonton pulled a rabbit out their ass with this victory. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

14. showey47 says:

brendan gallagher also picked up a goal and a helper tonight in a 4-1 win. He is now tied for second in the whl in goals and points.

15. Hagar says:

“He makes the team competive every night but does take some nights off” *scratches head* That said, I do have a tremendous amount of respect for any player that can execute a one-handed wrister. I worked my ass off trying to do that before realizing I couldn’t do a wrist shot with both of them. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

16. Bugs says:

Apologies if you’ve seen this already, culled from the Bryan Murray interview:

“QMI: Bryan, what are your expectations of Alex Kovalev? I know a lot of fans were disappointed in him last season.

BM: I wasn’t as disappointed as what was written about and talked about. Alex Kovalev, I think, allowed Mike Fisher to have a career year. Alex Kovalev, playing with Peter Regin for awhile, made Peter Regin a legitimate NHL player. Alex has so much ability, he’s so good with the puck, when you watch him in practice you think, this guy can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Well, no player in the NHL can do that. I think Alex can help other players be better. I made the mistake one time of saying he was a complementary player. That’s not what I necessarily meant. He helps other players play better. He helps your team be better. Do I want him to score 25 goals? Absolutely. Do I want him to shoot the puck more on the power play? Of course. But if he helps our team as a second-line player … helps make it a competitive team every night … and he does take some nights off, let’s not kid ourselves. He’s one of those guys that, some nights I shake my head and I’m not going to stick up for him on those occassions. But when he plays a little bit, he’s a helluva player for us. I don’t know if I can give numbers or stats, but if he makes the players that play with him a good line … and he does, because every time he gets the puck people have to worry about him. They defend like hell. He finds open men. You watch tonight. I guarantee he’ll make two plays in the game that will allow somebody to get a great scoring chance. He does it every night.”

Decadently yours, I recline as

17. JSP1990 says:

Man what a night. I live in the D.C. area and my mom is a huge Caps fan. I was watching the game with her and my girlfriend, and when Pavelec collapsed we were freaked. That was one of the scariest things I have ever seen. Right up there with when I saw the Zednik incident live. I really hope everything turns out okay.

18. Harani says:

Perry is a good player but he’s such an a**. He deserved a beating like that. He must have thought 4-time Lady Byng winner and an european, he ain’t got a chance. And seriously, can’t wait to see what excise Don Cherry will make up. I still remember that sucker punch on Markov after we scored to tie the game. Such a douche and wholely deserved what he got today. (Here’s the video)

“It must be love!”

19. Yeats says:

For those of you in the NYC area and those that have MSG, they are showing The Rocket at 7:30pm EDT this evening!

20. Qais says:

Anybody watching Atlanta- Caps game? Pavelec, their keeper, just fainted….

21. petrov14 says:

No but I just caught the news on TSN.ca. You never wanna see that happen. I hope hes okay!

TSN link Here.

______________________________________ Gionta IS Captain.

22. Everlasting1 says:

Impeccable timing..all alone at the other end of the rink after an icing call.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Latest news is he lost consciousness and is being evaluated, no further details available.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. petrov14 says:

The Atlanta Journal Constitution is reporting that Pavelec has since regained consciousness.

______________________________________ Gionta IS Captain.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Louis Leblanc has 2 assists in a 6-3 win for the MTL Juniors over the Halifax Mooseheads. Fellow prospect Phillippe Lefebvre had a goal and 3 assists but their teammate Eric Chouinard stole the show by scoring the first 5 goals of the game. Morgan Ellis has his first goal of the season for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles as well.

Jarred Tinordi has his first point in the OHL, an assist on the opening goal for the Knights over the Belleville Bulls.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. petrov14 says:

Ahhhh my Mooseheads, so terribly terrible.

P.S. I love the Junior/AHL updates on our boys you guys post.

______________________________________ Gionta IS Captain.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Do what I can, big night for the junior prospects and it’s always nice to see the kids doing well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. habs001 says:

the habs right now are not an elite team…we have some nice pieces….many of our games will be tied in the third or be one goal scores….if we win a good portion of those and get some breaks we can finsih with 100 points plus but just as easily we can be on the losing end of those games and end up with 80-82 points…100 point or 80 point season would not suprise me…

29. kempie says:

Evander Kane (a friend of hockey fans everywhere) is owning the Caps in ATL tonight where it’s 3-1 after 2 and they’re singing olé.

30. petefleet says:

Nice penalty shot goal.  He’s a talented kid.

”’Gonna Be A Long Season Without a Goalie”’

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Good for Kane, anyone who still give Cooke what’s coming to him is a good guy.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. petefleet says:

I went to the Montreal Juniors and Halifax Mooseheads game tonight.  #20 Louis Leblanc was a threat to score every shift he was on the ice.  He played a regular sgift, PP and PK.  THe night ended MTL 5 Halifax 3 with Louis getting 2 assists.  He could have easily had more.  He might make the Habs next year.

”’Gonna Be A Long Season Without a Goalie”’

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Cool, thanks for the report, the boxscore can only so much at the end of the day. I think Leblanc will get the AHL next season though, Habs have had issues with bringing their kids in a bit early and seem to want to take a slower DET-style approach.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. adam76 says:

I was there as well.  Does Corbeil remind anyone else of Price?

35. petefleet says:

6-3 (forgot about the empty netter)

”’Gonna Be A Long Season Without a Goalie”’

36. kempie says:

Is there anything to not like about Kane?

37. habs4ever2894 says:

Datsyuk just fought perry and did pretty well…..Although perry is canadian i was still rooting for daysyuk to win and he did!

38. SeriousFan09 says:

That was like the oddest fight to happen that I can remember, Datsyuk V Perry? Granted, Perry’s a ***** and has such things coming.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. scrowe21 says:

Perry is a tool, Im so glad Datysuk held his own. that was great.

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

In an alternate universe, where there is an OilersInsideOut, a poster by the name of OiledGlories, yes his nickname would be OG, would create avatars picked from the following selection.

Yeah baby!!!

42. Mattyleg says:

No indication as to why Pavelec passed out, but they’re keeping him for observation.

Freakin’ scary, man.

Here’s a story I just read about the Jiri Fischer episode. Really amazing stuff.

Hug your kids, guys, life’s a funny thing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—