Young Oilers Debut Promises Fun Season

From the NY Times Slap Shot blog:

Who before the season was willing to take the Edmonton Oilers
seriously? Not too many come to mind. TSN, for example, ranked them last
in their preseason
rankings of N.H.L. clubs
. Hockey Night in Canada was a bit more

But if you watched their game last night (and the N.H.L. Center Ice
package is in free preview mode right now), you were treated to a hugely
entertaining performance by the Oil, highlighted by this excellent
Jordan Eberle shorthanded goal in his first N.H.L. game (video) which gave his team a 2-0 lead over the Flames. A nice way to break
in, eh?

(And if you want to hear an excited radio announcer, listen to new
Oilers play-by-play man Jack Michaels call it in the

highlights of his first N.H.L. game. That even impressed
the “Three Guys on the Radio” crew on Ottawa’s Team 1200, who replayed

Michaels’s call on their program today.)

Eberle scored another goal last night as well, the final goal of the
game on the power play (video) as the Oilers blanked Calgary 4-0. On the N.H.L.’s
first day of regular season action, they
threw the puck around pretty
well in what was the most aesthetically pleasing game, unless you’re a Flames fan. Remember
Calgary had won all its preseason games, including a pair over the
Oilers, so this is instructive to anyone thinking preseason games

Now, Edmonton may not make the playoffs; they certainly are going to
have some problems, evident in their play during the second period, when
the Flames outshot them 18-7. But they do have some of the same
ingredients that made the Avalanche one of the league’s big surprises
last year, specifically, a lot of good young forwards and a good

Continue reading at “The Morning Skate:
Young Oilers Debut Promises Fun Season

1. santeri says:

And a Gordie Howe Hat Trick for Pavel to boot! No worries of the 5th Lady Byng this season.

2. Hagar says:

The battle of Alberta is gonna be lame this year. Edmonton pulled a rabbit out their ass with this victory. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

3. showey47 says:

brendan gallagher also picked up a goal and a helper tonight in a 4-1 win. He is now tied for second in the whl in goals and points.

4. Hagar says:

“He makes the team competive every night but does take some nights off” *scratches head* That said, I do have a tremendous amount of respect for any player that can execute a one-handed wrister. I worked my ass off trying to do that before realizing I couldn’t do a wrist shot with both of them. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

5. Bugs says:

Apologies if you’ve seen this already, culled from the Bryan Murray interview:

“QMI: Bryan, what are your expectations of Alex Kovalev? I know a lot of fans were disappointed in him last season.

BM: I wasn’t as disappointed as what was written about and talked about. Alex Kovalev, I think, allowed Mike Fisher to have a career year. Alex Kovalev, playing with Peter Regin for awhile, made Peter Regin a legitimate NHL player. Alex has so much ability, he’s so good with the puck, when you watch him in practice you think, this guy can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Well, no player in the NHL can do that. I think Alex can help other players be better. I made the mistake one time of saying he was a complementary player. That’s not what I necessarily meant. He helps other players play better. He helps your team be better. Do I want him to score 25 goals? Absolutely. Do I want him to shoot the puck more on the power play? Of course. But if he helps our team as a second-line player … helps make it a competitive team every night … and he does take some nights off, let’s not kid ourselves. He’s one of those guys that, some nights I shake my head and I’m not going to stick up for him on those occassions. But when he plays a little bit, he’s a helluva player for us. I don’t know if I can give numbers or stats, but if he makes the players that play with him a good line … and he does, because every time he gets the puck people have to worry about him. They defend like hell. He finds open men. You watch tonight. I guarantee he’ll make two plays in the game that will allow somebody to get a great scoring chance. He does it every night.”

Decadently yours, I recline as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central:

6. JSP1990 says:

Man what a night. I live in the D.C. area and my mom is a huge Caps fan. I was watching the game with her and my girlfriend, and when Pavelec collapsed we were freaked. That was one of the scariest things I have ever seen. Right up there with when I saw the Zednik incident live. I really hope everything turns out okay.

7. Harani says:

Perry is a good player but he’s such an a**. He deserved a beating like that. He must have thought 4-time Lady Byng winner and an european, he ain’t got a chance. And seriously, can’t wait to see what excise Don Cherry will make up. I still remember that sucker punch on Markov after we scored to tie the game. Such a douche and wholely deserved what he got today. (Here’s the video)

“It must be love!”

8. DavidKB says:

I predict that Jordan Eberle goal will be in the top 10 all year long.

9. ooder says:

hey guys check out this goal by Markov:

this was in a final game in the euroleague in the 98/99 season.

the goal needs no explanation 🙂

88 is the new 23

10. Mattyleg says:

Excuse me, I sincerely doubt that anything in Ottawa could be dull!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. Exit716 says:

Three Guys on the Radio in Ottawa is really dull and annoying.

12. HABZ24 says:

ive never been an oilers watcher but these three newcommers appear to be the real deal so far. pays to tank an entire season to get first draft pix.

hammy still out, better to nurse it then rush it and get hurt again, marky and subban together looooook out. subban will be the next ray bourque u heard it here first.

pitt seeks revenge in their new arena after we knocked them out last spring, itll be a good game.

13. Mattyleg says:

Yeah really. But, I have no doubt that they’ll grind it out like every year…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. WestHab says:

First off the flames were terriabla. Give the season a week before  all this and that about the oilers and that team that stole water from lakes around here and Quecec to pour on their blue ice. Last night was not a good night in this house hold. DC and CBC made me a bigger Habs fan than ever and my kid a bigger flamer. I pledeged not to take hockey as seriously this year but damm those egocentric toronto……..(lots of words that could get me  kicked out on the cyber sidewalk)

this could be an old rant but I’ve been busy.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

New Jersey’s feeling the pinch of Brodeur being 38.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. Mattyleg says:

As I mentioned in another thread, the first few games of the season are always full of crazy goals etc because the teams don’t have their systems down yet, the D aren’t in full communication mode, and the forwards (especially the young ones) haven’t been pummled enough yet to know that the toe-drags they’re doing are super dangerous.

It’s very entertaining, but it’s going to change, and it’s the teams that can grind it out over the season that’ll do well, not a bunch of young hot-shots.

Look at New Jersey.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. SeriousFan09 says:

London Knight Jarred Tinordi gets his first two points (assists), was +2 and 2nd star of the game in a 3-0 shutout of the Belleville Bulls tonight. Captain of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles D Morgan Ellis recorded his first goal of the year, but his team lost in a 3-2 Shootout decision. D Mac Bennett recorded no points but enjoyed a 4-1 win with University of Michigan over Bowling Green State U, he’s playing on the 3rd defensive pair to start the season as a freshman. Ex-Michigan players in the Habs organization include Max Pacioretty, Aaron Palushaj and star sniper Mike Cammalleri.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. ProHabs says:

Funny video clip on TSN about the Oilers players razzing Everle about his goal last night. Funny stuff from Horcoff, Whitney and Vandermeer along with Hall and Everle himself.