You be the general manager

What should Marc Bergevin do during Free Agent Frenzy on Canada Day?
Our panel of experts at HIO believe the Canadiens general manager will try to fill two two urgent team needs by signing a veteran defenceman and a forward who can compete for Top Six minutes.
Fearless prediction: It won’t be Ryan Suter and Zach Parise.

And it won’t be Justin Schultz.

The highly sought-after UFA defenceman has signed with Edmonton.

Unless you think René Bourque or Blake Geoffrion fits the bill, the Canadiens need a winger to play on the second line with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta.

Pierre-Alexandr Parenteau may be the man. Like Gionta, Parenteau is a RW who shoots right. But once you get past Parise, the choice of LWs thins out quite a bit.

Jiri Hudler is only 28 and has played in a great organization. But Parenteau is a homeboy who had an 67-point breakout season for the Islanders.

Impressive, for sure. But Parenteau was playing with John Tavares providing a quality of playmaking that will not be available in Montreal, at least until Alex Galchenyuk is ready.

On L’Antichambre, François Gagnon  has been pumping Parenteau’s tires for months. Frankie had the right call on at the draft – as did HIO – and we think he may be on to Bergevin’s UFA thinking.

As for a Dman, here’s an off-the-wall suggestion: Sheldon Souray.

Hey, don’t laugh. He’s still got a cannon from the point on the power play, and Souray had a nice bounce-back season with Dallas.

Canadiens fans remember him as a pylon in his own zone, but Souray was plus-11 for the Stars. That would have put him second, behind Josh Gorges’ plus-14, on the Canadiens.

Souray would provide veteran leadership and would not be expensive on a two- or three-year deal, covering the gap until Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu and Morgan Ellis are ready for The Show.

The bottom line: Bergevin does not have to hit a home run on July 1.

All but the most delusional fans realize the Canadiens are a work in progress. Bergevin has assembled a top-notch off-ice team – including Rick Dudley, who will provide invaluable input on the strengths and weaknesses of available UFAs. The Canadiens, by all accounts, had a great draft in Pittsburgh.

There is talent in the pipeline. Good times are coming.

But the Canadiens are unlikely to contend for the Cup in 2013. So Bergevin and his staff will be in the market for quality, affordable players that improve, rather than transform, the Canadiens.

TSN begins its free-agent coverage at noon on Sunday.

There will be live blogging on HIO.

1. jhab93 says:

If i were GM first call would be to Jordin Tootoo.

Thats the way the cookie crumbles

• Ian Cobb says:

He would be my last call, he has a great life story, but as a team player with team first attitude, sorry, he is missing a few priorities.

2. steve17 says:

Free agent snooze day is here! I don’t see how anyone can call it a frenzy, especially when there is not much available.

I don’t see the big love fest with Parenteau! Sure he had one good season playing with Tavares. He may be good but I see him more as a 3rd line upgrade than a second line player. He is a right wing, who may make a successful switch to the left side, but why risk it when there are left wings available.

If Bergevin is really building a team that will be legitimate contenders in the not too distant future and for years, then why sign over priced older players. Unless they are signed for one or two year deals to give time to the prospects to develop and the contracts are resonable and could be moved if need be, or bought out. One intriguing development could bebrought in with the new CBa is that players over 40 would not count against the cap. Apparently that is something the NHLPA has brought up.

For those who say that Kaberle and Gomez can’t be moved, I say it is more a possibility this off season. With the cap floor up at $54 million and the fact that the contracts are only for two more seasons, there are teams that could benefit, especially with Gomez. His cap it at around $7 million would raise their cap hit while only having to pay put around $4 million a season. Remember that too if the Habs bury him in Hamilton, they are actually paying his salary, not the cap hit.

Kaberle still put up points and with what is available on the free agent market, there will be teams that need to do something, As long as MB doesn’t ask for much in return, I can see Kaberle getting moved. If the Habs want to move him at all.

I think bringng Allen or Souray in for 2 seasons would be good as long as they don’t over pay. Souray may want to go to the west coast with his daughter in Calirornia.

I would say that a chance on Wolski. Even with the injury problems he has had, he still has 258 points in 424 games. He is over 6″ and 200lbs and is still young. With the player development people MB now has in place and a coach like Therrien, he may be the 2nd line left wing that they need.

Habfan17

3. Newf_Habster says:

If I were Bergy, I would do:

Assign Gomez and Kabrele to Hamilton unless there is an amnesty clause in new CBA. Trading them would be no good thanks to their hefty contracts.

Trade Ryan White plus 2nd or 3rd draft pick to Dallas for Steve Ott.

Trade Bourque for a middle round draft pick, although I want to give him a second chance.

Signing UFA:

Parenteau to three years contract
    Konopka to two years contract

I would love to sign Souray for two years at right price only.

4. Newf_Habster says:

Happy Canada Day, my fellow Habs fans!
    I had not been to this site for a while cuz I was busy with my family who was coming to visit here in Ottawa from the Rock. :)

I am very thrilled with the signings of Travis Moen and Alexei Emelin although I think Emelin should be given a three years contract instead of two years contract. I cannot wait to watch him drop his famous E-bombs for next two years. :)

5. neutral says:

Stay away from colby armstrong. he’ll be around for 20 games and concussed again. Burke ain’t getting rid of him because he’s ugly’ damaged goods that will come cheap and like I said play 20 games or less or become a floater not to get hurt. no more damage goods we’ve had enough.

6. aj says:

Its a great day for our team to shop around the NHL.

7. Habziefan09 says:

Now this is what I call fun with a capital CH. The opportunity to play GM. While some may go back to the days of Frank Selke opening the safe and say…”How much do you want Jean?”, we are forced to work within the confines of a salary cap. While everyone has his/her own opinion who MB should be signing or not signing, I am cautiously optimistic at who will adorn our “holy jerseys” this upcoming season. I can pretty much guarantee that Alexander Semin will NOT be in a Habs Jersey…that is a pipe dream no one dares to ponder…. let alone taking money out of the kitty for Price and Subban.

As I read this article, the more it makes sense of the off the wall selection of Sheldon Souray…. a sort of Return of the Prodigal son if you will. Remember, this is a guy who WAS our power play after the not 1 but 2 reconstructive surgeries on a wrist in which everyone had written off as finished. He still has jam and picks his spots in dropping the gloves. If you wanted to add some size, grit and bring back the PP to what it was 3 years ago, this is exactly how it is done. If anyone can be a beacon for P.K. Subban, Souray can shine the way for the kid. Give P.k 2 years with Souray and he will be the P.K the whole league fears to play against.

Defensive signing: Sheldon Souray 2 yrs @ 1M per.

Selecting someone who can compete with TOP 6 mins is a little more daunting to say the least. With some in the media including HIO calling for PA Parenteau, something that no one has thought about is how this one or that one will play in a system with Therrien at the helm. For this I cannot go through the list without looking at what won the cup for L.A this year, in particular Ethan Moreau and Dustin Penner. Now if anyone is going to break the bank, it will be these 2 simply by being champions this year. However, this is not PG’s team anymore. Anything is possible. I can assure you I am not on drugs… but my dark horse signings as forwards this year…

Dustin Penner 4 yrs @ 5.5m per
    Ethan Moreau 2 yrs @ 2m per.

____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

• Habziefan09 says:

BTW Happy Canada Day to everyone back home :)

____________________________________________________________
      Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

• Cal says:

Um, Moreau is the Habs Western Canada scout.
      Souray won’t come that cheap. He’ll be at 3 mil or so. Worth it for 2 seasons? Sure.
      Penner got hurt eating pancakes. Get him just to see what bizarre injury occurs, but he’s not an upgrade on Bourque.

• Habziefan09 says:

Yeah… I should have remembered… Moreau is our scout… My bad for following TSN’s list of UFA’s… he is still listed on it..

____________________________________________________________
        Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

• halifaxhab says:

5.5M on Penner!? Long term!? No thank you.

And BTW Ethan Moreau retired and is now our Western Conference Pro Scout. Soooooo…..

I love Barry Manilow .

-Scotty Bowman

• Ncognito says:

Souray will be getting at least 2 per year from someone.
      Not a Penner fan – and don’t think he is worth 5.5 per.
      Ethan Moreau has already signed with habs early last month……..as a scout.
      Parenteau is intriguing – although I fear he will end up being over paid coming off the career year with Tavaras.
      I’m liking Gaustad for 3rd/4th line minutes and faceoffs – but I have a hunch Boston may come knocking.

8. HabFab says:

People are so dumb!!
    Why give Price grief on twitter because his sister wears a Flyers cap?
    And if you don’t know why his sister wears a Flyer cap, find out!
    Nah!, I had better tell you because you are all so dumb…his father was drafted by the Flyers and played in their minor system.
    Dumb,dumb and dumber!

9. LizardKing1967 says:

OK. Here we go.

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

GO AZZURI!!!

Now, MB, sign Hudler and trade Pleks, Weber and a pick next year for Patrick Kane!

Let’s pray today folks. Habs get better.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

The Hab’s are the most loaded team in the league with 3rd and 4th line players. We only have a few top 6. Will Bergevin develop and wait for the kids?, or will he go after a couple of free agents who will prove to be very expensive.

Either way, it is going to be a lot of fun watching Bergevin put this roster together this year!

11. rogieshan says:

Will we see Rick Dudley’s influence here today? If so, there could be a few players from his previous stops who may be targeted:

UFAs Colby Armstrong & Joey Crabb.
    RFA Evander Kane.

HAPPY CANADA DAY !
    BOY”S AND GIRL”S!

For Oct 27th Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

Looks like a record number of Summiteers will be going this year. Get your money order and self addressed envelope to me ASAP.

13. Cal says:

Happy Canada Day everybody!
    With luck, MB will light some fireworks with an unexpected trade and good UFA signings.

14. commandant says:

Forza Azzuri!

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

15. aj says:

Good Morning to everyone here. Let’s see what’s in store for the rest of the day on this Free Agent Market frenzy. Other than that,

Happy Canada Day Everybody!!!

16. John Q Public says:

It’s hot and beautiful outside.
    We need to make a splash with either/or/and free agent signing,trade.
    I hope this summer I am not cringing about the next season!

17. wildwilly says:

When you sign a big-name free agent you are generally overpaying in terms of salary, term, and flexibility. Few players will leave money on the table to play for a specific team. As a result, you are taking on an unmovable contract because nobody else was willing to pay that amount at the time the contract is signed. This is why I don’t think signing free agents is the means to winning a championship.

IMO, we need a left winger and have a surplus of centres and small, puck-moving defensemen. One of either Plekanec, Gomez (obviously), or Eller should be on the way out. Weber, Kaberle, or Diaz should be going, as well. Apart from Gomez, I think there is a market for these players.

We need a 2nd-line left wing. Latendresse is a retread but has lots of upside. Ray Whitney is small but would fit nicely with Plecs and Gionta. Perhaps one of the young guns will win a spot out of training camp.

In any case, we need to take a long-term view…

• rogieshan says:

Signing the 40-yr-old Whitney would not be considered part of a “long-term view”.

If Bergevin is a strong man, he may resist the urge (and local pressure) to hit a home run right out of the gate and focus squarely on resigning his own RFAs. Hiring a new coach and supporting staff may already have been the biggest move he will make all year.

• wildwilly says:

Signing whitney wasn’t meant to be a long-term solution. It is a short-term solution until the youth can have a year or two to mature. But I respect your opinion… I am contradicting myself a bit but (as all fans) we don’t like losing (now or in the future).

18. Lizardking89 says:

Going to be interesting to see what MB does. This will be his first opportunity to make his mark on this team. Will he pull a Gainey and overpay for marginal talent or will he make some smart signings that will improve the team long enough for the prospects to develop? I’m hoping for some decent talent that will improve the team next year without breaking the bank. I’m also hoping we add some size and toughness. I have a good feeling that Bergevin will make the right moves tomorrow.

• Captain aHab says:

I doubt he’ll be looking to overpay for marginal talent when he’s still on his honeymoon with fans. If I were him, I’d try to off load a couple of vets and try to get draft picks for next year. I suspect if he does anything, it’ll be through trade.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• rogieshan says:

I concur. With the unsettled CBA, a poor UFA market, and a promising draft year ahead, unloading overpriced vets for picks in ’13 may be the wisest course to take.

19. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

if we dont trade pleks I hope we bring his fellow country man Jagr in here.

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have the Preds confirmed no-interest to re-sign Radulov and Andrei K ? …if so, I would offer one-years for $ 4 to 4.5 M (Rad) and $ 2.5 to $ 3 M for Andrei
    …low-ball just on chance they may not be generally hot-commodities with other teams at the moment
    …if not, then PA Parenteau, but not at any longterm inflated price
    …Semin ?, yes, nervously, but at only 3/4s his current $ 6.7 M (so, I guess that rules him out :) )
    …Parise ?, …is an ideal of a player to be a Montreal Canadien …but I wouldn’t pay what he will be demanding, and be patient to wait for the Kristos and Collbergs in Our Organization to ripen
    …put a decent Team on the ice for 2012/2013, but DO NOT mortgage the Bank, or the Future

_________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Cal says:

My feeling is that both are KHL bound. After their pre-playoff game night of drunkenness, their values dropped like stones.
      Parenteau is a 2mil/season whose numbers were inflated by his linemates.
      Semin will be snapped up by a KHL team, unless some team is desperate for a heartless floater that’s more expensive than AK.
      Parise will get 7mil/season and term. Not worth it.
      Agree that the only way for the Habs is to move players. My “move” list is Diaz, Weber, Kaberle and Gomez, although the last 2 are almost immovable objects right now.
      Hope MB signs 5’8″, 200lb Boullion for a couple years while we await Tinordi and company.

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I thought Shultz would choose the Canucks as he is from BC and that was the speculation from MacKenzie …but I guess he opted for guaranteed ice-time with the Oilers
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• commandant says:

Since his contract is so bonus heavy… getting pretty much guaranteed ice time on the PP with those forwards, is probably his best bet.

He won’t find another city that needs defencemen for the PP right now, like the Oilers do, and has that level of talent at forward.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Me ??? …the GM ???
    …hehheh (rubs hands together, with an evil twinkle in eye) …FIRE !!! The Drooler ! …Patrick Come Home Baby !!! …because JJ is gonna be da Soap Boy in the showers, as I just got Larry’s John Hancock on da dotted line as Your D Coach !!!
    …how dat ??? for My first 5 minutes in da job ???
    …By da bye M. Molson, …I DON’T come cheap !!! :)

____________________________________________________________
    Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
    ____________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

23. Habs1996 says:

Foward-Jagr:good player despite his age and wont be seeking a long term contract .Hes in his 40s and i highly doubt he will ask a monster contract.2 year 3-4million at most.Jagr is a risk thought because of its age.Not a safe bet but the rewards are high.
    Prust:Hitter,Fighter,Penalty
    Killer,GF is a montrealer.What can you ask more from a bottom six foward?safe bet IMO
    Defenseman-Bryan Allen:6″5″ and 225 lbs.Physical while being able to play well in his own end.Another safe bet IMO

24. Un Canadien errant says:

I got 9/10 on this week’s Canadiens quiz, better than last week’s 8/10, but still not good enough to win the prize, which this week is a copy of the Canadiens magazine signed by Erik Cole.

Now don’t cheat and Google the answers. Play fair.

Rumours abound. Habs are shopping Bourque and Diaz.

According to one league executive, the Canadiens are actively shopping the likes of right wing Rene Bourque and restricted free agent defenseman Raphael Diaz.

It’s also good to know that the Habs have assets to flip if the deal is right. Given the dearth of quality free agents it appears that players once thought of low value in a trade are becoming potential hot commodities.

One league source indicated that the Habs have received some interest in center Tomas Plekanec and right wing Brian Gionta, though a trade involving either player is not expected.

source – http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl120630.html

• Habsolutely says:

Any deal concerning Gionta would have to be OK’d by him. He has a no-trade clause with no restrictions. He decides if he’s gonna be traded. I seriously doubt he’s gonna uproot his family to go to some dump of a city or organization. It would have to be worth his while.

• alwayssunny says:

Bourque has the tools, I really wanted him to work out. Wow what a sad sack though. Got his change of scenery and a chance for a revitalization and nothing. How do you change that? Hope Bergevin can find a sucker. Dallas maybe?

• harpman says:

Bourque`s change of scenery was to come to a lame duck coach and a dysfunctional GM….let us see how he will perform now with a new coach and GM in place.

• kempie says:

Honestly, I’d be surprised and fairly pissed off if they weren’t shopping Borque & Diaz. I’ll bet that they’re also “shopping” Weber, Kaberle & Gomez.

• Bill says:

Haha. Even the teams considering trading for Bourque are shopping him to the team they’ll trade him to next.

Full Breezer 4 Life

26. jols101 says:

It is funny how 2 guys with the same avatar can have totally different wish lists for the big day tomorrow…

Edit: suppose to be a reply to nickster13

27. bwoar says:

Um.. Snootchy boochies?

Please, not Armstrong. The Fat Kid is younger, can play LW and has more talent, if we’re on injury reclamation duty.

Garrison, yes please. He’d be my #1 target tomorrow.

Why would Cam Barker enter the discussion? What’s he got that anyone would really want at this point? If it’s a rugged D you want I humbly suggest Carkner or possibly Bryan Allen.

28. alwayssunny says:

Don’t get people who want to limp into next season with the same roster. We just came 15th in the East. There are exactly zero prospects expected to make the jump to the big team in September.
    “Lets be patient and wait for the prospects” (in my best sissy voice). Same thing every year. What a bunch of sheep.

• alwayssunny says:

get a clue. I’m out of patience. Act like a big league player. This roster is pathetic, anyone can see it needs fixing. Bergevin drafted some good looking players (just like all the other teams in the NHL did) and he hired all his friends, and he has re-signed some of the guys who were part of our worst season in 100 years or whatever. Now let’s see if we are serious about improving, or if we are going to spend another year crying about how Markov’s knee is keeping us from greatness.

• db says:

We lost last season on intangibles. The team couldn’t come together under the cloud, everybody was nervous. There’s a new energy and it’ll show on the ice. A guy like Moen, who wants to win and gives you everything just signed here for 4 more years. IMO he’s showing his trust in the new management because he would have been able to get that contract as a UFA.

• Derek2 says:

I think we lost last season because we have a very soft D, one decent scoring line and, no complete lines in the bottom 9 forwards, and Carey wasn’t lights out every game. Yes, very dysfunctional and poor coaching, but we really have a talent problem. As it stands now, we are icing pretty much the same roster as we did last year. Therrien will probably be able to squeeze a little more out of these guys than either Martin or Cunneyworth (agree he was a lame duck, but also just not a great coach). I am confused by all the sentimentality about keeping players who landed us in 15th spot. Somebody’s got to go and I will be disappointed if we don’t try to get some help for the second line at least.

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise

29. nickster13 says:

If im the GM im signing Cam Barker, Jason Garrison and Colby Armstrong. Discuss.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Habsolutely says:

They are free agents. You don’t just “sign them”. You make them an offer and hope they sign with you. I always see comments like that here, people saying “Sign Him! Sign him now!!” Like the GM has some magical power to make free agents accept his offer. It just doesn’t work like that. The GM gives the players agent an offer, the players agent tells the player what the offer is, and then the player makes the decision on what team’s offer he would like to accept. What you people should be saying is “Accept our offer Garrison!!! Accept our offer!!!” It would be more realistic that way.

• Dulljerk says:

Habsolutely, the GM does have a magical power that entices any UFA, it’s called money. So…..SIGN THEM!

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Habsolutely says:

Ya, well 29 other teams have the magical power of money and they can all submit offers to. So as I said. The GM can’t just “sign” whatever UFA you as a fan are in love with. All he can do is put forth the offer and hope the player accepts it over the other offers he has recieved. People really have to stop looking at stuff like this from a fanboy point of view.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

more money!

• Clay says:

@ HABSGUARDIANANGEL

2 words: Salary cap.

__________________________
            ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Bill says:

If you’re the GM, you just added a couple of soft D-men (55 PIM combined last year for the two of ‘em) and a useless, perpetually-injured forward who was just bought out by the pitiful Toronto Maple Leafs. So if you’re the GM, I’m thinking you’re Rejean Houle.

In fairness to Garrison, he managed 16 goals last year, but it’s so far beyond anything he’s ever done in his professional career to this point – and he’s 27 – that I’m suspicious of this monstrous output in a UFA year. And again, he’s soft. Like butter.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• commandant says:

Garrison is not soft at all. He’s a good defender, clears the crease and hits in the corners. PIMs is not a sign if you are tough or not, look at Emelin

Barker cant play D, he’s completely useless.

Armstrong is always concussed.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

30. H.Upmann says:

@bwoar thanks for clarification. Was something my memory bank brought up from the dusty archives of yesteryear’s hard-drive..But yeah Doan would be a nice fit w Habs !

31. hockeyscout101 says:

So less than 12 hours and counting..I am not expecting much from the Habs. Many fans here want Suter, Parise, and such well thats not going to happen. Shane Doan won’t even come here.

Look for the Habs to sniff at P.A. Parenteau and that type of player. Look for some depth signings such as Arron Asham, or those type of players for the toughness or fighting department. (Not saying Asham is coming). Francis Boullion is going to get some interest here..don’t be surprised if he ends up in Montreal if all goes well…

For tomorrow I am expecting Suter to go early, and the likes of Carkner, Konopka and company to go mid day or later. George Parros may go early (if the Leafs want him over Colton Orr)

As per Nick Kypreos…I don’t expect Parise to sign tomorrow..if he does it will be with the Devils. Adam Burish could very well be a Hab tomorrow he is well liked by Bergevin and comes cheap…so look for Adam Burish as the 4th line center or RW.

32. H.Upmann says:

Lot of Doan talk here… but didn’t the guy have some controversy a few years ago about using the word ‘frog’? That alone guarantees he won’t be coming.. French media would be all over that one

• bwoar says:

Just so it’s clear, he never did actually say that, nor any other slur towards anyone. The story was a complete fabrication, the fact of which is now pretty well known.

• Chris says:

I don’t know that the story was a complete fabrication.

Doan admitted that a player on the Phoenix bench DID make the comment that got him into hot water. He just denied that it was him.

It was a mountain out of a molehill, however, as this type of crap gets spewed frequently during games and most of the time the plays have tuned it out and don’t even register the comment, as was the case for Doan.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not a fabrication, but as Chris points out Shane Doan was accused of shouting the epithet ‘frog’ at the referee, which everyone is now confident he wasn’t the one to say it. The relevance was that Shane Doan was the Captain of the Canadian team at the World Championships, and Denis Coderre, a Cabinet minister at the time, thought he was unfit to fill that role.

• boing007 says:

Frog legs taste just like chicken.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

33. kempie says:

My 2012 UFA wish list: 1. Bryan Allen 2. Somebody to play LW on the 2nd line 3. A cheap, rugged 4th line centre who can win a God-damned faceoff.

I hope that MB has no reservations about spending a little over the cap (10% I believe) as allowed by the current CBA if there’s something to spend it on. With a cap of $70.2M, 10% works out pretty close to $7,357,143.

34. JayK-47 says:

I cannot remember if I’ve ever so… relaxed? unterrified? unanxious. (that’s the word) unanxious the night before the UFA frenzy.

35. aj says:

One more sleep till the NHL’s UFA shopping spree frenzy starts tomorrow noon. Keep everyone’s fingers crossed and hope that Bergevin and company do the right signings and/or trades.

36. jols101 says:

The Fourth Period has an article on Shane Doan. It says he won’t sign a contract with any team until July 8th. Doan wants to give the ‘Yotes every possible chance to re-sign him so he is giving them an extra week to get a deal done before he entertains other offers…

• K-hab25 says:

What’s the date on the article? HH posted, from a hockey insider tweet, that Doan’s going to sign here tomorrow at 4:00pm. Maybe he’s changed his mind, or maybe the tweet is false.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• ProHabs says:

If HH is wrong on Doan signing here tomorrow, then he owes EVERYONE a drink at the next summit.

• jols101 says:

Dated today and the source is Doan’s agent. So pretty credible

• K-hab25 says:

Ya that sounds alot more legit than a hockey insider tweet. Kinda sucks, I really like Doan and think he would be a great addition.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• hockeyscout101 says:

This hockey insider guy that goes by hockeyyinsiderr is nothing more than a fake. I know that for a fact. He makes things up so people will read it..he said that Kovalev was going to take a walk with Bergevin in another tweet last week or 2 weeks ago. Hey the funny thing is that at least Eklund has some credible people. As far as I know people don’t like Eklund but he does have contacts within the NHL. He just happened to make the mistakes on Ryan Smyth signing with the Oilers (a few year ago, that never happened)..but he did call the Heatley to Ottawa trade 4 hours before it happened..so he knows something but most of his rumours come from other sources…he needs to show his face however…

• Newf_Habster says:

Why are you following fraudsters like hockeyinsiderr? He is a complete BSer who loves to invent false rumors to attract delusional and gullible fans like you?! Just do not follow him along with eklund and the_creasy! Oh my God that is pathetic!

Even TFP is much better than Eklund but I do not follow him anyways.

Just follow Bob MacKenzie, Darren Dreger, Keith Allen and others who work in hockey media world.

37. Bill says:

We do still need a point shot on the PP. Just as much as we need a LW. Could do worse than Souray, though I see him staying close to his kids.

Parenteau: no. The Habs are knee-deep in RWs. And we don’t have a Tavares for him to play with. If he played LW, I’d be like, great, but he doesn’t, and therefore I don’t care if he is a homeboy.

Yes, the Habs are a work in progress, therefore no need to go crazy on the UFA front. There’s no quick fix there for what ails us. Gauthier actually made probably the best dollar-for-dollar UFA signing of the year last summer acquiring Cole … and the Habs still missed the playoffs. Let’s let these prospects mature.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• naweed235 says:

couldn’t have said it better myself

• punkster says:

Yup.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• K-hab25 says:

What do you think of the rumor about us signing Doan? He’s a RW, but is definitely a better player than Parenteau.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• Bill says:

Here’s what I think about Doan.

I think he plays mainly RW but has also played centre.

I think the Habs don’t need another RW, and as a centre, he’s not as good as Pleks or DD in terms of offence, not as this stage of his career.

I think he’s likely to stay with the Coyotes, unless some team gives him WAY too much money for his 20 goals and 55 points, and I hope that team isn’t the Habs.

If the Habs spend UFA money in the off-season, it should be at offensive LW, 3rd/4th line sandpaper, or a shooter on D. Doan doesn’t fit any of those, and he’s on the extreme downside of his career.

EDIT: If only the Habs had gotten him (they really wanted him) in the ’95 draft instead of Terry Ryan. He went one pick before the Habs picked at 8th.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Agreed, I would rather see the Habs do nothing than overpay on someone like Parenteau. I like the kids coming up, no point in wasting cap space, in 2 years the Kaberle and Gomez contracts will be behind and I am confident Bergevin will do the right things.

38. Sir.Plekers says:

Berge is keeping plekkkky………..targetting a solid winger!!!!!!!!Id like to see A nice hometown guy like Parenteau

Lol at Nashville……Gaustad

39. Mattyleg says:

Great stuff on the Emelin signing.
    Can’t wait to see him hit his stride (and a bunch of opposition players) this year.

I have no worries about tomorrow. I am going in with very few expectations, and will be happy to see pretty much anything that Bergie has up his sleeve.

I get the feeling that there won’t be much action from our camp. We’ve got a pretty solid team already, and a lot of the talk is pretty much about trading like for like, or losing defence for more offense, or vice-versa, which ends up being the same kind of thing.

Bring it on!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Derek2 says:

We have a team that finished dead last in the conference. If we are truly waiting for the prospects to mature, I can get behind that. Wouldn’t mind seeing us pick up a large forward with decent offense, if it makes sense to do so. But I think that with the roster we have, don’t look for any drastic moves up the standings. Other teams will get better as well, so I see a few long seasons ahead of us

Our chief weapons are fear and surprise

40. Adidess says:

@Adam

You’re asking everyone to suspend disbelief. If my brain could get so creative when i’m bored, i’d be longing for boredom.

There must an ounce of plausibility to a scenario for it to generate any kind of reaction -)

Gomez all ripped and effective as a player is as realistic as Mario Lemieux coming back in the NHL and winning the Maurice Richard trophy. Can’t happen. Gomez is done like dinner.

People forget BG traded for Gomez hoping a change of scenery would revive his career (he had slowed down quite a bit by then already).

Gomez did show some signs of life here and there notably in the playoffs, but he’s been largely ordinary as a Hab for 3 years. in 2012-13, he’s not going to recapture the magic of his Stanley Cup years in New Jersey…

41. 69HABS says:

MT better not break up our top line of EC, MP & DD

2012 HIO Fan Summit Game Tickets. As many as you want! But act now!

Oct. 27th against Koivu and his Ducks.
    Total Summit Weekend Itinerary to follow.

I have been given as many tickets as we need for a very short time limit. But I must pay for them ASAP.
    So this is the procedure to follow! Two prices, the first 56 seats are together.
    And the rest will be scattered in groups of 1 to 5. Both prices.

IMPORTANT!
    Do not order or send your information to me, other than by sending me a money order with a self addressed envelope and stamp on it, to send your tickets back to you.
    FIRST COME FIRST SERVE.
    (international money order works best from U.S., Courier also works best)

Two levels of seats, two prices. $90ea. and $110ea.
    This includes game ticket, Hall of Fame Tour ticket and one ticket for the draw at the Montreal Canadiens Children’s charity Foundation Raffle.

All orders must come to me in the form of a money order (only, not a check) with a (self addressed envelope and stamp) so I can mail your tickets back to you.

We only have a short window for this deal so get your money orders to me ASAP. Cut off date for this deal, is coming up soon.!
    Everyone is welcome, but we ask that you attend the Pre Game dinner and participate bringing a gift to the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation Charity Raffle.

Send to Ian Cobb
    63 Village Dr.
    Belleville Ontario, Canada.
    K8P 4K2

For Summit tickets, News, Pictures and comments

43. HFX-HabFan says:

Anyone think that there will be a signing that breaks Mattias Ohlund’s record for quickest deal announced with a new team?

I remember when he signed with the Lightning, it was announced at like 12:03pm…apparently Mattias’ agent took the first offer that came, and all the paperwork was filled out in a few minutes…riiiight

44. sreuel says:

Can’t do a big trade or sign a big name anymore since Gomez takes a lot of this away

So I see HH has raised the ante on Mr. Nickle and included a Shane Doan rumour for us! The gifts just keep coming!

I’ll see your “What a maroon.” and raise you a “What a gulla-bull. What a nin-cow-poop.”

47. HFX-HabFan says:

Kaberle for Ott, make it happen!

48. slapshot777 says:

I thought for sure that Eller would have been signed by now. Hope this is done by tomorrow.

49. Boomer says:

I Like Garrison out of Florida but he might cost a pretty penny.
    If we could get Whitney at a decent price for a year or two until some of the young ones can mature in Hamilton that would be nice aswell. I’m anxious to see who MB will sign for our bottom six.

50. Good Habit says:

How about picking up Armstrong off waivers and signing Byron Bitz and Adam Burish. That would solidify a nasty bottom 6 with size and some skill. Bitz is an awesome player when healthy IMO. Don Cherry might even start liking the Habs with players like that on the team.

So Toronto doesn’t believe he is healthy enough to play, his last contract was uninsured! Guaranteeing the next one certainly won’t be due to concussions, why are we signing him exactly? Not directed just at you Good Habit, but all the people calling for him.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Bitz and Burish are essentially the same player. Only one would be necessary. I’d sooner try to find a solid, physical fourth line C who can win faceoffs and play minutes on the PK.

• Good Habit says:

Bitz is a fair bit bigger than Burish and more offensively gifted. Plus, he’s a natural winger whereas Burish is a centre. I think MB likes Burish from his Chicago days. Burish is a good team guy and possibly the best trash talker in the league. Not that it matters. I guess I was hoping that Armstrong might be healthy come next season, but it would be risky. What about J.F. Jacques instead of Armstrong?

• boing007 says:

Who cares what Cherry would like? Think he’ll switch allegiances if we sign the new millenium’s version of the Hanson Brothers?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

51. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I would be more then happy with Doan, Carkner, Brookbank and Prust/Asham

52. HFX-HabFan says:

Biggest UFAs to ever come to Montreal:

Mike Cammalleri
    Brian Gionta
    Erik Cole
    Sergei Samsonov
    Doug Gilmour
    Yanic Perreault
    Hal Gill

Any other names you’d add?

53. Say Ash says:

So, we’re signing Doan, Parise, Kane and Brodeur for a backup? Am I up to date?