Yet more preview stuff…

The nerve centre of the Montreal Forum’s ice-making plant, mid-1970s. Not a computer in sight.
Gazette photo

From CSNwashington, a look ahead to the Canadiens season. The Habs will finish 12th in the Eastern Conference according to these guys – who see the Toronto Maple Leafs finishing 11th. They see only Atlanta, the Islanders and the Florida Panthers finishing lower than Montreal.

• Without letting the facts clutter its view, bettor.com wonders whether the price for Price is too steep.

• Pierre Boivin reportedly to name his son, Patrick, as Canadiens’ director of hockey operations.

• Habs prospect Louis Leblanc wasn’t in the lineup last night as the Montreal Juniors beat Gatineau 7-5 at Cynthia Coull Arena in Greenfield Park. It was the Juniors’ preseason opener. Michael Clark had two goals and an assist for the winners, who scored five times in the third.

• Here’s an upcoming event they likely won’t be celebrating in Quebec City.

• From The Hockey News, Adam Proteau’s thought-provoking look at the business of covering hockey 13 months a year, providing an “infolanche” of things that often aren’t news at all.

1. Chuck says:

It’s almost time to pull out the water pistols!

2. TomNickle says:

I really hope that you see this reply.  If not, I’m sure we’ll catch up on another day.

I’m not assuming that each shot in a game is of equal psychological importance.  I’m not assuming anything.  If a goaltender sees 30 shots in a hockey game and stops 28 of them, your team had better win the hockey game unless they themselves have run into a hot goalie.

Giving up a goal in the last minute of a hockey game when you’re up 1-0 is a big deal, and you can be sure that the message isn’t lost in the five guys that play in front of the goalie.  Whether it’s Price or Halak, it doesn’t matter.

If we’re down 1-0 late in a hockey game and we need Price to shut the door because the play is consistently in our zone, I’m sorry to burst your bubble la la land, but the team isn’t worth a spit if that’s happening on a regular basis.  If it takes 59 minutes for us to score a single goal on most nights, we’re in trouble through no fault of the goaltender.

Your assumption that the players have no confidence in Price is based on Halak and Price’s records respectively with the team in front of them.  What you’re failing to realize is that neither goalie played poorly during the regular season.

Duh?

I need to watch a lot more hockey?

Haha, well, I’ll tell ya what, when I get a breaking from scouting it I’ll sit down and turn the tube on a bit more.

3. adam76 says:

None of ,y avatars are photoshopped.

4. Bill J says:

LMFAO!!! Nice one!

5. Bill J says:

See Clay, the posters below have you pegged on this post.

Your post is all personal & Non-Hockey related.

Calling out someone’s intelligence who ONLY said he skips over Bugs’s posts, in as polite a way as possible.

Is also out of line.

Have a beer, and get some sleep.

6. Bill J says:

Yet another reason (like we needed one) to NOT want Vinny in MTL.

Horrible luck for the guy though.

LMFAO @ the “Yzerman Cures all”

7. aemarchand11 says:

Ok there, Sean Avery

2010-2011

Tony makes Eklund look like the Oracle at Delphi.

9. observer says:

Not as the Habs GM.

10. HFX-HabFan says:

Still slinging?  I have no interest.  Have a good night.

11. Chuck says:

No, I didn’t.

12. observer says:

i meant “greedily: sarcastically(moore accepted LESS than he made last year off a strong impressive finish to his year). if moore accepted but $1.1 and that QUICKLY from tampa bay he would have accepted the same or close to it here if they wanted to keep him. he seemed very happy to play here and it was the best playoiff run he ever was involved in. but no gauthier signs darche in JUNE for a half million and raises pouliot in JUNE when he didn’t deserve or need to be raised. then they compound the problem by trading a goalie away BEFORE signing the other which will cost them more money and as of today still has them not even knowing how much room they will have. there was room to re-sign moore.

13. RGM says:

Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said anything remotely close to that and you know it.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

14. Chuck says:

Another swing an a miss, Tony. Time for you to take another long, slow walk back out into left field.

15. Clay4bc says:

Looks more like you missed his, Chuck…

_________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell –

16. Clay4bc says:

His intelligence goes over your head, I guess…

__________________________

— George Orwell –

17. RGM says:

There will never be another Roy, just like there will never be another Dryden or Plante or Vezina or Hainsworth. Instead of always looking for “the next …” why don’t we hope he just turns into the first Carey Price?

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

18. Chuck says:

Tony, you’ve completely missed my point. Thanks for playing.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Jeff Marek of CBC tweets that Vincent Lecavalier will have an arthoscopic operation on his knee Aug. 24th with a 3-4 week recovery period. Off-season surgery again, that guy has no luck at all and neither does Tampa having to deal with that contract.

Unless of course, Yzerman through the mere act of shaking Vinny’s hand heals him of all injuries he’s ever suffered.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. showey47 says:

No prob, now that i know you meant no harm. I take it to heart when people make fun of the mentally challenged. I grew up in a small town of about 1000 people and pretty much spent my youth protecting my sister against other kids who would pick on her because of her disabilities. Lets just say i spent alot of time at the principals office at school and having upset parents coming to my parents house because i pounded the crap out of their kids for making fun of my sister. It was really tough for her because not only was she mentally challenged,we adopted her and was native. So not only did they tease her about her mental disabilities,she also had to deal with racism. She is now the 3 time northern ontario gold medal winner  for power lifting in her weight category.

21. observer says:

By 1993 had Roy ever proved he was a great goalie? Wasn’t he already a star at least 7 years before that? Bad analogy.

22. Bill J says:

Price is worse ?

Oye.  He is 23, Jaro is 25.

I know that is but 2 years different, but 2 VERY important years in a goaltenders development.

The fact that Price’s record up to his injury, the fall-apart of the “11 departed” and then the complete rebuild in chemistry this past season.

None of those things in your opinion had a negative effect on Price’s record ?

Jaro @ 25 adapted better to the new “team chemistry”, whereas Price struggled with that task.

If you believe the players, coaches & GM of the team.  Sounds like Price has improved on that front, and realistically speaking.  It is time for him to affirm himself as the #1 in Montreal.

Let’s just see how this season plays out, I really do feel good (perhaps not Cup good, but good) about this upcoming season.

23. Clay4bc says:

I am tired of arguing against this kind of stupidity and revisionist history…

So if this is what you want to hear, than I will say it…you’re right. Halak was not the difference. Please tell me where to get the full frontal lobotomy that you have, so I can officially join the crew…

__________________________

— George Orwell –

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Here’s a stat for you on the 09-10 season:

Halak: 45GP – 125GF by team while he played, team was scoring 2.77 GPG for him.

Price: 41GP – 87GF by team while he played, 2.12 GPG for him.

Seems like someone benefitted from the team scoring more regularly.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. observer says:

You are talking about completely different situations. A terrible analogy. Not 13 games over a couple of week stretch but 69 games over more than the last year and a half. AND even more importantly when the same team used the other goalie(Halak) they went from that poor losing record of Price’s to an excellent winning record with Halak. Last season it was almost 2 wins for every loss when Halak was in the nets. But the team ended up with a losing record solely because of when Price played. And they kept him if they wanted to get rid of one of the two(remember Gauthier said he was happy to have TWO good goalies and everyone also believed him then)? Mind boggling.

26. Habsforlife 1959 says:

I didn’t miss your point. You just have no faith in Carey Price. That’s the bottom line here. As you thinks Auld probably will get the start. Goes to show who you would rather have in nets. If Halak is playing, Carey Price wouldn’t miss an opportunity to face him and put it all to bed once and for all. Hope Carey wins and cut down the bashing on this site.

27. LA Loyalist says:

Please retract “greedy” from your post on Domenic Moore.

How did you negotiate in your last review?

What do you know about Moore and the negotiations?

If you want to project it onto his agent and argue that his agent mis-judged the market, well, that’s a arguable point – except Tampa Bay thought he was worth it – and for two years. Is Yzerman an idiot?

Don’t think you can just insult people here and not get called on it, that’s all. I’ll graciously accept your apology.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

28. Clay4bc says:

*sigh*

Give it a rest,Kenny…if anyone has shown to be a one-hit wonder, it’s Price…you know, they goalie who had one good season, and then sucked afterwards?

__________________________

— George Orwell –

29. showey47 says:

I agree,asham is a very under-rated player. Tough,i think his hands are better then we know about and can kill penalties. Would have fit well on our bottom 6, i would have taken him over darche anytime.

30. Clay4bc says:

I’m trying too, man…but it’s like beating your head against a wall sometimes…they just don’t get it. It was all Halak in that series. Sure others played great, but Halak was beyond great, and we were really an awful team against the Caps.

__________________________

— George Orwell –

31. Chuck says:

I don’t mean to in any way imply that Price will be the next Roy. But if he turns out to be half as good as Roy was, we’ve still got ourselves a hell of a goaltender.

My point was to show that even the greatest of the greats — seven seasons into his Hall of Fame career and with a Cup under his belt — was prone to going through rough stretches. Hopefully this has been Price’s rough stretch and it’s onward and upward from here.

32. K-hab25 says:

NOBODY will be the next Roy!!! He was, is, and always will be, the best damn goaltender to play the game.

33. HFX-HabFan says:

I tend to skip past his posts altogether.

34. showey47 says:

You know what is strange? Posters who think hockey is a game of individuals. Posters who think halak’s play is the only reason we went as far as we did. Does his play even matter if cammy and gio don’t score 22 post season goals? You take away one or the other it means a 1st round loss. Halak could have had a .970 save percentage and it would not have mattered without the heroic efforts of cammy,gio,gorges and gill. No matter how you slice it,its a team game. Goaltenders tend to get credit because they are the last line of defence. Where were those 2 out of 3 wins during the last week of the season or against the flyers?

35. observer says:

If I’m not mistaken Markov was missing and the Habs and Halak just made their best playoff run in 17 years?

36. K-hab25 says:

“Do the players have that confidence in Price? Hell no they don’t.” Who the hell are you again. NOBODY!!! Exactly!! You’ve probably never talked to a current Hab player, let alone know how they feel about Price. You don’t have confidence in him, fine. Don’t lie and say the team doesn’t, to justify your opinion. Your 2 scenarios were very spot on, unfortunately for Price. He did tend to give up that goal late in a 1-0 game. He didn’t get the goal support Halak got, so he had to be near perfect to get wins. It’s alot easier to close the door up 4-1, when the other team has all but given up. The reality is neither goaltender won alot when the team scored less than 3 goals, which happened to Price alot more often than it did Halak.

37. derfab says:

Asham is a good signing. He knows Pitt is a contender who will use him well. D’arche is a good guy who might be offered a coaching or PR gig at similar pay when his job is taken (soon).

character is derfab destiny.

38. adam76 says:

Agreed – he could be the next Roy, but the laws of probability are not on his side.

39. Clay4bc says:

We had to back into them, yes…and again I will make the same point…

Funny how Price didn’t “nearly cost us the season” by losing 2 of every 3 games…yet Halak did “nearly cost us the season” by winning 2 of every 3 games.

Your argument is moot.

__________________________

– George Orwell –

40. Clay4bc says:

See, that’s yet another point where we disagree…I wish no good luck to Jaro on that night. Other games, yes, but not against the Habs. I hope we exploit him for many goals. Or at least we get enough to win.

Somehow, though, I think Auld will be playing that game…just a hunch.

And don’t ever get the idea in your head that I will now pull for Jaro over Carey. Not the case.

And way to miss my point.

__________________________

— George Orwell –

41. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Price played Washington 5 times last season.

42. derfab says:

I’d say something to agitate you if I could but I have no idea what you’re saying.

character is derfab destiny.

43. LA Loyalist says:

Let me support Clay4bc here a little, not that he needs it, but to clarify.

We are not against Price. He may yet do what he was drafted to do, but as of the end of the season Halak was far better. how can you argue not? Can you defy gravity, too? Can you drink beer and your glass never empties?

The point I want to make, and if you haven’t done so pls read the great article on the big 3 (Savard, Pointu, Robinson) and notice how carefully those guys were groomed and prepared and gradually brought on to the big team. That’s good management.

Price wasn’t ready, management wasn’t patient, he should have played another year in Hamilton. And here we are.

Can Price recover from it? I guess we’re going to find out pretty quickly.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

44. New says:

Optics are everything. Remember John Leclair manhandling McSorley (I think it was McSorley), just bulling through him in 93? Like that video of Butch Bouchard shrugging a player off his shoulder. Or Gilmour taking the Cup away from the Habs in 89 while everyone raved about Fleury and Vernon? Remember Osgood declaring himself great after the Wings totally dominated a few years ago.

I think a lot of people, me included, see what the announcers call or the fans around us react to. That happens to be near the crease most times. Everyone remembers Crosby coming off the boards in the Olympics, quick as a cat, and the game is over. Does anyone remember how it all got there? How possibly the best goalie in the game didn’t have a chance to get set?

Goalies are great to have around but they should be heard not seen. A few, Millar, Brodeur, they will be remembered as outstanding. Halak? Likely (I hope not, but likely) the Kjell Dahlin of Montreal goalies.

45. K-hab25 says:

Hey Ericson I read your site the otherday for the first time. Your brothers article, “Habs Didn’t Want Cup Anyway”, was pretty damn funny.

46. derfab says:

I do admit the bias.

But consider:

Not yet 22 , he’s just very impressive to watch when on. Big and smooth. Now, apparently, 20 pounds bigger.

He was told to do the dirty work and got rattled last fall with zero support or protection from the smurfs or anyone else on this tiny-tot version of the Habs: separated shoulder because of it. Gomez and Gionta, if they play together, need a veteran brute like Fergie or Hartnell on the wing not a talented kid who’s learning.

Would you go to the net for these guys? Imagine how reassuring it must be for a kid to have scary back-up like Pleks , Gomer or even Lappy when you’re in trouble with Pronger or Chara.

Point a game pace with lots of penalty minutes  through college and the AHL ’til his first callup.

He may not win a scoring title but I think he is soon going to show himself to be the best of the Habs recent prospects. Top six guy for sure.

character is derfab destiny.

47. LA Loyalist says:

thank you. I’m so glad I don’t have to respond to ALL of the posts on here. i’d be exhausted.

Let’s see how Price does in his first game against Washington. Think Ovechkin won’t be pumped for that one?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

48. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Mar 10, 2011 is when the Habs meet the Blues in St Louis. Just maybe they will play against each other and then debate when that game is over? Good luck to both goalies!!!

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Playoffs almost didn’t happen because he didn’t make the saves when it counted.

I don’t forget the playoffs, but I don’t forget that we had to back into them because Halak couldn’t make a save in the final week when at the time, the team needed him to play well the most. Can’t argue he always comes through when the team got in because of loser points in that final week playing 3 of the weakest teams in the entire NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

50. K-hab25 says:

Maybe because he was comparing Price to veteran goaltenders, not one hit wonders.

51. LA Loyalist says:

Tom, how do I say this without sounding mean spirited? “Price stops 9 out of 10 shots so his play is irrelevant?”

You’re assuming that all shots and goals in a game are of equal psychological importance, and they absolutely are not.

Giving up a goal in the last minute of the third when you’re up 4-1 is no big deal. Giving it up when you’re up 1-0 is huge.

If we’re down 1-0 late in a game the out players need to feel confident they can pinch and attack harder because they have confidence the goalie will back them up if there’s a 2 on 1 or a breakaway.

Do the players have that confidence in Price? Hell no they don’t. He’s got 20 games to show he’s matured.

And flip your argument the other way – if we score 3 goals a game and give up 4 or 5 we lose. Duh.

You need to watch a lot more hockey, it’s not just statistics. It’s why you can’t always trust statistics.

There, wasn’t I nice?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

52. Clay4bc says:

Boudreau did not “get schooled”…in fact, his team outplayed us in EVERY FACET OF THE GAME, save one – goaltending.

And his goalie did not play badly – it’s just that ours was other-worldly. Or did you not watch that series?

__________________________

— George Orwell –

53. Clay4bc says:

You’re just an ornery bugger, aren’t you?

Here are the facts…and the point I make is clear.

Halak has a career .919 save %, and a career winning record.

Price has a career .912 save %, and a career losing record.

They have played a similar amount of games, as I pointed out. The big difference is that Price was the starting goalie when the team was the highest scoring team in the league, while Halak was the starting goalie when the team was one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. It makes his accomplishments in regards to having a winning record that much better.

Ergo: Halak is better.

Double Ergo: Price is worse.

Dispute it as you please…

__________________________

— George Orwell –

54. New says:

I think you’re right. It is a good deal if you have the room.

55. New says:

How many of those games he lost had Markov playing 20 or more minutes please?

56. Clay4bc says:

And conversely, the whole thing about Price is that he doesn’t win (or make the big save) when it counts…

And you only belittle your argument by forgetting to mention the playoffs. Did it “not count” there? Because Halak delivered, in spades.

__________________________

– George Orwell –

57. Bill J says:

Ruh oh – The Tankaholic is back!

58. Clay4bc says:

What is also a fact, Priceberg, is that Halak played in the playoffs – AND WON – against the top team in the league AND the defending cup champions, in truly spectacular fashion.

And the better record will tell the story definitively, will it? Because they play for different teams now, in case you missed it, I would think that their records WHEN THEY PLAYED FOR THE SAME TEAM would be more of a true indicator. And who had by far the better record when they had the exact same team, pray tell?

__________________________

— George Orwell –

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Whoa, when did the Tanker movement start up again?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

60. SeriousFan09 says:

In Montreal he was a lot more timid than he ought to have been and I saw him in the AHL this season. He is not afraid to work in the corners and was not getting knocked over all the time, not even close. I don’t think he’s going to be a 30 goal player but he certainly has the commitment, size and grit to bring the physical impact into each game he plays. When he first came up in 08-09, he had no trouble banging in the corners and since then he’s become a much better conditioned player as well. Also, Cooke and Carcillo are complete tools and I wouldn’t want them on MTL. A ‘wrecking ball’ is a guy like Cal Clutterbuck, Dustin Brown or David Backes, guys who live to hit and aren’t dirty about it.

Pacioretty’s fragility is kind of being blown out of proportion as well, he had a fracture of his collarbone and he’s the next Salo? Please.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.