Yet more preview stuff…

The nerve centre of the Montreal Forum’s ice-making plant, mid-1970s. Not a computer in sight.
Gazette photo

From CSNwashington, a look ahead to the Canadiens season. The Habs will finish 12th in the Eastern Conference according to these guys – who see the Toronto Maple Leafs finishing 11th. They see only Atlanta, the Islanders and the Florida Panthers finishing lower than Montreal.

• Without letting the facts clutter its view, wonders whether the price for Price is too steep.

• Pierre Boivin reportedly to name his son, Patrick, as Canadiens’ director of hockey operations.

• Habs prospect Louis Leblanc wasn’t in the lineup last night as the Montreal Juniors beat Gatineau 7-5 at Cynthia Coull Arena in Greenfield Park. It was the Juniors’ preseason opener. Michael Clark had two goals and an assist for the winners, who scored five times in the third.

• Here’s an upcoming event they likely won’t be celebrating in Quebec City.

• From The Hockey News, Adam Proteau’s thought-provoking look at the business of covering hockey 13 months a year, providing an “infolanche” of things that often aren’t news at all.

1. LA Loyalist says:

Greedy is a pretty nasty term and I’m calling you on it, that’s all.

Is Scott Gomez greedy? I’m just asking you.

I’ll admit maybe I’m a bit sensitive about Domenic Moore because I got to watch he and his brothers at their hockey camp in Toronto last week working 7+ hours a day with a group of young kids with dedication, kindness and pure love of the game, when he could have been off skiing at Gstaad or riding rodeo like Carey Price.

I also got to explain to my 7 year old son and his team-mates why Habs organization no longer had a spot for Domenic Moore despite how well he played for us in the playoffs. And I was angry that I had to do that, and I was not proud of Habs management. This a few months after I had to explain about Halak and a year after I had to explain about Saku Koivu (that was the hardest one of all).

So when I hold you accountable or Habs management accountable that’s my right and it’s your right to argue back, too, not get pissed because I called you on it. That’s all.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

2. Richrebellion says:

Even tho a goalie is given the win or a loss doesnt mean it is his fault, this is a team sport isnt it? Plus it also makes a difference which teams each goalie is playing, I know halak never faced washington during the regular season so price must of faced them all 4 times. Now not saying halak couldnt have won some games Price had lost but to judge solely on wins isnt right. I dont know who they matched up against but I know Price did face alot of hard opponents which Halak didnt. As in 1 of the articles above hockey is a game of uncertainties and each game is played because anything can happen. Even if Halak and Price did play the same team this past season, maybe a player was missing or just didnt show up that night. To judge them solely on wins and losses makes no sense.

3. Bill J says:

Prolly cuz he wanted to play a bit of Golf ?

😉 lol

4. HabsFanInTampa says:

The Bolts have been playing golf since early April. Why did Vinny wait until now to have this surgery? Kinda strange.

5. habstrinifan says:

Principally, SIZE!!!

And expectation (of the club) based on pedigree and potential….. club’s evaluation.. not mine.

And remember Eller was second in scoring among rookies in AHL.

Desharnis did tremendously well in Hamiltion but the club obviously considers him a longshot (if ever) to make the NHL as a regular.

So assuming then that Eller is ahead of Desharnis in the depth chart, then I am optimistic that he will be an important addition to the team… points wise.

6. New says:

I like his stuff. He’s usually right as well.

7. New says:

Sort of. Halak was 5-7 after Markov was hurt. With Markov playing in the playoffs he was 4 and 3. I don’t think it is fair to blame one goalie for losses and credit another goalie for wins when hockey is a team game. Some others disagree, like John Davidson in St Louis. I am glad folks like him are around.

8. Bill J says:

Shawn Rourke should stay away from nickname creating.

He sucks at it!

9. DavidKB says:

Yeah, I saw the comment and had my reply of disapproval removed as well.

Also, the “Little Bird” label for PK has been credited to Shawn Rourke of

10. HFX-HabFan says:

Just reading this now, and I have no idea a) what you’re referring to and b) why anything I’ve posted today would have been deleted.

11. K-hab25 says:

Actually Halak’s was .924 and Price’s was .912, a “huge” difference of .012. In my post, like all the Halak is better than Price post I read daily, I was strictly going on W-L records and what there W-L records would’ve been if the goal support that led to those records, was flipped to other goalie. Based on there winning %’s and how often they each got 3+ goals of support, or less than 2 goals of support, Price would’ve had the winning record and Halak the losing record. Despite Halak having superior individual stats, like SV%. It was to show people like you, that there is alot more to a W or L, than just how the goalie played, it’s a TEAM stat.

12. K-hab25 says:

They don’t play 84 games numb nuts!! Halak had 26 wins not 28, his GAA was .37 better than Price’s, not .40, they scored a.65 goals a game more for Halak, not a half goal and the difference in there SV% was .012. Research your “facts” or don’t post them.

13. Clay4bc says:

Good…I understand your point. You’re overthinking it, though, and not accounting for save % – which is also important. Price was at .910. Halak was at .923. That makes a difference..

Now understand my point. Stop saying “Clay hates Price”. I have never said that, and I never get into his personal life.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell —

14. SeriousFan09 says:

PK’s nickname is PK is what the dope who coined it seemed to forget. I have no idea where Little Bird came from but it’s a pile of crap.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. Propwash says:

I apologised above, however my offending post wasnt aimed at any individual, it was aimed at the whole situation that was happening much lower down the page.

Funny how the posts with personal threats and insults are still there though.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

16. solomio says:

Asham signing…Asham singing….? oh… oh… Penguins resigned him. Yeah liked him with the Habs first time I saw him fight. He’s a good fighter. Kind of languished a long time with the Islanders I think but showed good hockey sense with the Penguins. For 700 grand..definitely a good signing and would be way more effective than say Darche or Lapierre for example.

On another note someone tagged PK with the nick name “Little Bird ” ? Aw c’mon..who would do that to you even if it were true? Perhaps a hommage to Larry “Big Bird” Robinson? Maybe but lets hope for PK’s sake that one doesn’t stick

17. K-hab25 says:

Halak was better than Price last year, there is no debating that fact. His GAA and SV% were superior to Price’s. The point of my post is Price wouldn’t have been 13-20-5 had he gotten the same goal support as Halak. He was 9-4 in the 13 games he did get adequate goal support. Meaning if would’ve gotten it 26 games (multiply by 2) like Halak, he would’ve been 18-8, 2 -11 in the other 13 (divide by 2) and finished the year 20-19. Halak with only 13 games of adequate goal support would’ve been 11-2 (devide by 2) and 6-24 in his other 30 (based on his 4-17) without adequate goal support. Making him 17-26 if he would’ve gotten the same goal support as Price. Again W-L record is a TEAM STAT. Halak clearly had better individual stats than Price but even with those, he would’ve had a losing year with the pitiful goal support Price got last year.

18. Propwash says:

It was me who posted that, but the quote wasn’t my saying. It was something I saw on another forum I frequent and I posted it due to the fact there was some maaajor ugliness going on.

I used to be a volunteer Special-O bowling coach in the Recreatheque in Laval in 1999-2000 with my then girlfriend.

I sincerely regret offending anyone and apologize.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

19. Clay4bc says:

In an unusual show of solidarity with you, I agree totally. I never saw the post in question, but Special Olympians deserve even more respect than other athletes, IMO. Your last 2 sentences sum it up nicely.

— George Orwell —

20. Chuck says:

Get off of the analogy thing. I’m not comparing one to the other, so there’s no analogy being made.

21. Chuck says:

Whatever you want to believe, Tony. You’re just talking in circles.

22. observer says:

no kidding? all players have bad 13 game stretchs including stars. that is what i am saying – it has nothing to do nor is it any analogy to price and his 69 game stretch over a year and a half. it is a terrible analogy – there is nothing to compare or equate to here.

23. observer says:

i do not believe it! you rhink that roy on a 13 game 3 week stretch after long proving he was a great goaltender is an apt analogy to price’s situation today after a year and a half 69 game stretch and what little he accomplished in the nhl after 3 years here? absolutely unbelievable. i remember when montreal canadiens fans really were the most intelligent and open minded fans in hockey let alone sports – obviously no longer.

24. RJB says:

I saw that as well and commented on it, my comment was deleted with the original post. It’s pathetic what has happened to this site, it used to be a great place to discuss our Habs, now it seems you can’t read more than 2 posts without a mention of discrimination or hateful speech. Heres hoping the fools who post with the intention of insulting others go away once the season kicks off…Although that seems like wishful thinking.

25. Clay4bc says:

How ’bout the Hubba-Bubba?

“There’s gonna be a gum fight”.

— George Orwell —

26. showey47 says:

Whoever made that post before it was deleted about making fun of the special olympics. That was classless dude. My sister is a special olympian who i train in powerlifting and i volunteer in their group bowling nights. They are they only true athletes in this world. They do it for the love of the sport,not for the glory and fame.

27. Chuck says:

So what you’re saying is that goal support had nothing to do with the goalie’s won/lost records… correct?

28. Clay4bc says:

Ah…but see, you missed his posts earlier – which the mods deleted (imagine that? Mods, here, doing their jobs???). It would have revealed the point to my post…

— George Orwell —

29. Clay4bc says:

FFS man, stop saying I “hate” Price. Those words never came from me.

Let me be clear on this – I DO NOT hate Price. I simply think he is not as good as Halak. Why can’t you get that through your head?

And can you not see the difference between 22-4, and 9-4 (your numbers with “adequate” goal support)? Are you suggesting Price would have won 13 in a row with adequate goal support to tie Halak here? Because if not, your point is moot. And if so, it’s a reach.

— George Orwell —

30. TomNickle says:

Price wasn’t ready?

Tell me, from Los Angeles, what did you see in Price’s play that would lead you to that conclusion?

From what I hear it’s hard to get Bulldogs or Americans games on the tube down there.

31. observer says:

goal support? maybe the exact same team played better for halak because they had more confidence in winning when he not price was in goal. price constantly allowing some soft goal totally deflating them? halak also had 5 shutouts to prices zero. habs scored about a half goal more when halak was in but that includes empty net goals habs scored AND halak allowed about a half a goal(.4) less than price allowed so that basically washes out your argument completely. halak had the 4th best save percentage in the entire nhl ,price behind the exact same team was 20th. halak won 2 games for every game he lost 28 wins but 13 losses and 5 ot losses, price had 13 wins and 20 losses and 5 ot losses halak was the NHL’s LEADING GOALTENDER IN THE ENTIRE PLAYOFFS.

32. habstrinifan says:

I too hold Robinson in the highest esteem. I think he was the best of the big three. And I have not seen a better habs defenseman live. So I agree with you that calling Subban a “little bird” as if to compare him to Robinson is wrong. Robinson is in the rare echelons.

However, even if it is more hopefulness than objectiveness on my part, I do see a similarity (potential) in style of play.

Robinson was awesomely gifted offensively. To the point that when he made his rushes fans would get out of their seats in comparison.. I think Subban should develop nicely there.

Robinson was selectively punishing with body checks. Subban seems to show the readiness to dish out some punishing checks when the need arises. While Robinson’s height was his forte in this area, Subban’s stockiness and powerful built should compensate for his not being a big defenseman as far as height goes. He sure looks big enough built wise.

Robinson skated with amazing vision of the ice and his stick handling and dekes were slow motion poetry. Subban seems similarly gifted in this regard, although he plays more with a dervish characteristic than poetic grace. But as he matures this will change.

And last but not least, Robinson would drop his gloves to stand up for his teammates or change the momentum of a game. Subban shows the readiness to do the same.

And Robinson was an on-ice leader. Subban will be.

What I wouldnt give to sit and watch a game in the next season or two and have ‘little bird’ come to mind as Subban grabs the puck or wipe out an opposing forward in his own end. WOW! It would mean that we finally have drafted and developed someone who may be worthy of being called ‘a true habs great’. We havent seen any player in such a long time come close to earning that accolade.

Premature.. yes! But let’s cross our fingers and keep the name ready. Would be great if he earns it.

33. observer says:

No way! Roy was a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup winner in his very first year at 20 years of age. Price will be in his FOURTH year with the Habs this year and 24 years old and comes into the season on a streak of 20 wis and 49 losses out of his last 69 decisions over the last year and a half. Uh oh, they are now going to call me a troll or some name because some facts are very disturbing to them and what they don’t want to see. Because maybe the Gainey Gauthier thinking about how great Price was is possibly wrong.

34. adam76 says:

other then a win loss record?  that is a huge indicator.

You didn’t see how this team played a different and nervous game in front of Price form Jan 2010 on?

35. Chuck says:

Proved me wrong? You don’t even have a grasp of what I’m talking about.

36. Chuck says:

Strike three, Tony.

I’m not comparing Roy’s swoon to Carey’s. Merely stating that best-of-the-best, even afer having been well-established as a star, are subject to stretches of not playing well…. and then turning it around.

37. K-hab25 says:

Speaking of last year Tony, Halak had 26 wins Price had 13, correct. Do you, in your infinite wisdom, know how many games each won when they didn’t get adequate goal support, (3+GF), FOUR. Four freaking wins when they didn’t get adequate goal scoring. Halak started 43 games and got adequate goal support in 26 of them, more than half. He was 22-4 in those games, 4-13 in games he didn’t. Price received 13 games of adequate goal support, exactly a third of his 39 starts. He was 9-4 in those starts and 4-22 in games with less than adequate goal support, including 12 games he got 1 goal or less. Halak got 26 starts with adequate goal support and Price had 26 starts without adequate goal support. Halak had 17 starts without adequate goal support and Price had a whopping 13 with adequate goal support. A goaltender can’t win, If his team can’t score. It’s a TEAM game no matter how you, Clay, Bugs, Adam, Terry, Xtra and the rest of your Price hating clique, want to try and twist it.

38. derfab says:

Weird that they waited. Sounds like a minor scope but you never want a guy to face surgery unless it’s absolutely needed. Some people forget the fact that he is a physical force making his mediocrity (70-80 points) easily better than our 2 best (whom I would give up for him without blinking).

If Boucher doesn’t screw it up, because of Vinny, this team could be a real threat.

character is derfab destiny.

39. LA Loyalist says:

Yeah well Price’s “stretch” is 2 years and counting.

He’s got 20 games. Post up then and we’ll if any of the PriceBots show.

*for the record, I don’t blame Price. I blame management, specifically Bob Gainey. I can hardly type that, it makes me feel so lousy on so many levels.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

40. observer says:

looks like i proved you completely wrong with your ludicrous post. better start calling me a troll or a tony whoever that is. oops – you already did. if you cant debate them call them a name. no wonder so many people think many sports teams fans are lunatics.

41. punkster says:

Darche. He’s the more dependable all-round player, much bigger and doesn’t lose his cool.

42. observer says:

are you a dim wit? because youre proving it. you are comparing roy a cup winner 7 years earlier and all the accomplishments in the next 7 nyears and him having a bad THIRTEEN GAME stretch to a goalie who never proved anything at the NHL level and lost 49 of his last 69 decisions and say my comment that is a ludicrous analogy is wrong. well i am so darn happy i am not as smart as you. so darn happy. thrilled.

43. TomNickle says:

You’ve got some nerve.

You’ve commented that the Montreal Canadiens version 2009-2010 had no confidence in front of Carey Price with absolutely no merit other than a won loss record.  I won’t bother to get into how stupid it is to assume that Michael Cammalleri isn’t confident in his shot because of the goalie that’s three zones away from him when he’s attacking or how dumb it is to imply that Andrei Markov’s passing ability goes out the window because Carey Price eats away at his valour.

But then going further and calling someone else out for not having any knowledge of Dominic Moore’s contract negotiations is hilarious.  Hypocrite would be the name you’re looking for instead of LA Loyalist.

Saying you aren’t looking to pick a fight or be mean doesn’t give you an alibi to do so, it’s transparent.

You seem to have a firm grasp on every HIO member’s knowledge.  You must be a smart cookie to have conquered all of that in eight weeks.

44. madcap_habsfan says:

Of course he will be because as far as i remember watching that series i was thinking the whole time..”what is up with ovechkin? i thought he was the best player in the league”..i was expecting alot more from him against us and he didn’t impress, so back to my inital statement, of course he’s going to be pumped to play us again, because he’s going to want to actually prove he’s worthy of the best player in the nhl title, unlike during the playoffs

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

45. Chuck says:

It’s almost time to pull out the water pistols!

46. TomNickle says:

I really hope that you see this reply.  If not, I’m sure we’ll catch up on another day.

I’m not assuming that each shot in a game is of equal psychological importance.  I’m not assuming anything.  If a goaltender sees 30 shots in a hockey game and stops 28 of them, your team had better win the hockey game unless they themselves have run into a hot goalie.

Giving up a goal in the last minute of a hockey game when you’re up 1-0 is a big deal, and you can be sure that the message isn’t lost in the five guys that play in front of the goalie.  Whether it’s Price or Halak, it doesn’t matter.

If we’re down 1-0 late in a hockey game and we need Price to shut the door because the play is consistently in our zone, I’m sorry to burst your bubble la la land, but the team isn’t worth a spit if that’s happening on a regular basis.  If it takes 59 minutes for us to score a single goal on most nights, we’re in trouble through no fault of the goaltender.

Your assumption that the players have no confidence in Price is based on Halak and Price’s records respectively with the team in front of them.  What you’re failing to realize is that neither goalie played poorly during the regular season.

I need to watch a lot more hockey?

Haha, well, I’ll tell ya what, when I get a breaking from scouting it I’ll sit down and turn the tube on a bit more.

47. adam76 says:

None of ,y avatars are photoshopped.

48. Bill J says:

LMFAO!!! Nice one!

49. Bill J says:

See Clay, the posters below have you pegged on this post.

Your post is all personal & Non-Hockey related.

Calling out someone’s intelligence who ONLY said he skips over Bugs’s posts, in as polite a way as possible.

Is also out of line.

Have a beer, and get some sleep.

50. Bill J says:

Yet another reason (like we needed one) to NOT want Vinny in MTL.

Horrible luck for the guy though.

LMFAO @ the “Yzerman Cures all”

51. aemarchand11 says:

Ok there, Sean Avery

Tony makes Eklund look like the Oracle at Delphi.

53. observer says:

Not as the Habs GM.

54. HFX-HabFan says:

Still slinging?  I have no interest.  Have a good night.

55. Chuck says:

No, I didn’t.

56. observer says:

i meant “greedily: sarcastically(moore accepted LESS than he made last year off a strong impressive finish to his year). if moore accepted but $1.1 and that QUICKLY from tampa bay he would have accepted the same or close to it here if they wanted to keep him. he seemed very happy to play here and it was the best playoiff run he ever was involved in. but no gauthier signs darche in JUNE for a half million and raises pouliot in JUNE when he didn’t deserve or need to be raised. then they compound the problem by trading a goalie away BEFORE signing the other which will cost them more money and as of today still has them not even knowing how much room they will have. there was room to re-sign moore.

57. RGM says:

Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said anything remotely close to that and you know it.

Josh Gorges for Captain!

58. Chuck says:

Another swing an a miss, Tony. Time for you to take another long, slow walk back out into left field.

59. Clay4bc says:

Looks more like you missed his, Chuck…

— George Orwell —