Yeah, but they signed Alex Henry

On the day Dominic Moore signed with Habs South, aka the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Canadiens have announced the Hamilton Bulldogs captain has put his Alex Henry on a two-year contract.

Just be thankful the Bell Centre isn’t Citizens Bank Park.

And to get the weekend rolling, check out the gold standard in goal celebrations.

AKlucE-5nIM

1. observer says:

Pronger’s teams seem to go farthur with him than without – a bunch of them – yet fans in other cities dspise him.

2. ed lopaz says:

also, I’d rather have moore than boyd.

we could have started Eller on the 4th line and maybe boyd is an extra body.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Nicely put. And you know what I would have respected? If they would have just come out last summer and said, “ok, the chemistry in the room is bad, for whatever reason, and we’re blowing it up for kids and draft picks. It’s gonna take 5 years.”

Instead we get a B.S. dog’s breakfast that finally gets on a roll and then they partially blow that up, methodically getting rid of the main guy – Halak that made it possible. It makes no sense, if someone would just have the poutine to make a plan and stick to it, I wouldn’t be so pissed.

“to failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

4. observer says:

Rather have him than Darche.

5. LA Loyalist says:

…and how many KEY goals has Eller ever scored for ANYONE in the NHL? You’re talking apples and oranges. Eller is a risk, Moore is more of a known factor who played great for us in the playoffs. Last time I checked, the playoffs are what count if you’re a Habs fan.

Eller may turn out great, or he may tank like Scott Gomez. Oh, sorry, I can guess Gomez is your favorite player.

6. observer says:

It’s not Eller vs. Moore. It’s who would you rather have on your roster? Darche or Moore who you just happened to give away a possibly high 2nd round draft pick for. There was absolutely no need to sign Darche in June to a $500,000 deal add to that the un-needed half million raise to Pouliot after a terrible near last 30 game performce and you have just about what Moore ended up accepting. Moore could play any forward position. It really was a choice between him or Darche. And Gauthier chose Darche.

In the meantime gave that money away quick and easy to both Darch and Pouliot but not Moore or Price now. What is absolutely unbelievable is that anyone even supports any decision of Gauthier. I can understand not knocking him, but supporting him for these assinine moves? Unbelievable.

7. Storm Man says:

At best he can make 1.3 mil?

8. petrov14 says:

I dont have any links, but my first guess would be the trade of Chris Pronger.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

9. TripleX says:

Some very well thought out analysis of the subject from Oiler’s fans.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

10. Storm Man says:

That is what I said also today as Yzerman picked up the god of thunder moore.

11. Bill J says:

Unfortunately the only information I have found.

It is a Performance Bonus.

I would dare say though, if after 40 games Eller has not hit 15-20 pts, he will be demoted to the AHL.

And will NOT hit his bonuses. In any way!

So if he does hit 20 pts at 40 games, IMO he is worth going forward for the full 82… and hope he can be consistent through those 82 games, and get 40+ pts.

Which IS an improvement on Moore.

Just saying.

12. Exit716 says:

I say Molson should inform the league he is forfeiting all games this year due to the awesomeness of Steve Yzerman.

13. Storm Man says:

He will be making 1.3 BTW how is your other account semi doing?

14. ed lopaz says:

Eller might become a great player one day.

I have no clue. I;ve never seen him play 1 shift.

I mentioned that in my posts above.

We could have kept Moore as the 3rd line center and broken in Eller slowly on the 4th line.

There was a time – back in the days when the Habs were winning – that a guy who had 7 games of NHL experience would be broken in as a 4th line player.

Then it comes down to moore vs boyd.

15. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Would any of you guys care to offer a quick analysis or a good link to an article on how Edmonton went so wrong after their last good play-off run a few years back? It might be of interest to look at on a fine summer evening.

16. Bill J says:

I dunno about that.

Seems like the same posts, just swap Price for Eller & swap Halak for Moore.

Same Sh!t different day/names.

17. Bill J says:

Too early to judge the off-season changes.

BUT, Moore being brought in at the deadline was a KEY move that DID pay off.

That with the value of Plekanec’s deal… has me impressed enough to give Eller a fair chance, PG has made moves we questioned perhaps, but some are paying off or paid off…  Can we agree on that ?

Demigod started this, you do not have to complete it.

He made a bold statement by implying the Habs could do things to become a legit Cup contender THIS year.

It’s virtually impossible to attain THAT certainty today.  Who knew the Flyers & Chicago would be the teams competing for the Cup this past season.  But IT happened.

18. Storm Man says:

Bill don’t you know Moore was a superstar as he was with the other 6 teams before he came to the Habs. Now he is going the cup winners for this coming season Sheesh get with the program here. The sheep here at HIO spew the same old crap over and over again as they have nothing better to do over the summer. The sheep have no clue what a team is as they cheer for names on the backs of jerseys.

19. RGM says:

You make Lars angry!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

20. punkster says:

Kind of a refreshing change from Price versus Halak.

FREE TIMO!

21. ed lopaz says:

Andrew, maybe you can tell me what Eller’s bonus structure is??

I can’t find it anywhere.

that’s why I didn’t know how easy it would be for him to hit his bonuses.

some guys get bonuses for GAMES PLAYED, for example.

do you have that information????

22. RGM says:

All of these moves would be possible if not for the salary cap. Unfortunately, there is a system in place that means sometimes change has to happen. Let’s at least wait until the current team has played a few games before we get all gung-ho that we’ve downgraded across the board.

It’s easy for us to say move Kostitsyn & Hamrlik to make a couple big upgrades – it’s a lot tougher to convince another NHL GM to take on a floating enigmatic player who can either dazzle all night long or perform such that he may as well not have dressed for the game at all making $3.25M and/or a 36-year old defenceman making $5.5M. There are a lot of teams in salary cap trouble, including our Canadiens, and those are high-risk moves for them to take on when – as Bill pointed out – there are many less expensive options available to those teams. A big top-6 power forward costs money. As I’ve noted above, the Habs
    cannot take on any large new salaries at this time. Next year, yes, as
    there’s some big contracts coming off the books. But unless the
    Canadiens are able to move dollars-for-dollars right now, there’s not
    too much they can do to get that elusive power forward in the summer of
    2010.

It’s easy to say keep Halak & Moore – it’s a lot tougher to pay Halak $3.75M plus whatever the team ends up signing Price for in the coming weeks. Long, long gone are the days when a team will spend big dollars for two goaltenders; since only one can play each night, imagine leaving the salary equivalent of Jaro Spacek or Andrei Kostitsyn just sitting on the bench for long stretches. It’s simply not feasible. Moore is a journeyman player who scored a big goal and thus won some hearts. There are numerous players in the NHL like him, and the Canadiens opted to go younger and less expensive. Yes, Moore signed today–July 30th–for $1.1M per season, but we don’t know what he was asking back in late June and July 1st when the Canadiens made their decision to look elsewhere.

I like some of what you’re suggesting, I really do. I like Hamrlik, but I hate his contract. If there were a way we could make that only be a $3M cap hit, we could totally sign an impact player either up front or on the blue line. But this is the situation we face, and it’s very restrictive for our GM. Next year, there will be more flexibility.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

23. ed lopaz says:

so what moves would you have done differently than Gauthier???

24. Bill J says:

I disagree, you did not.

You told us how PG should have handled the internal issues.

But in no way does the team YOU ice, contend for a Cup.

What Player(s) are/is acquired that makes this MTL team a Cup contender.

And who has to go to get that player in MTL.

And no woulda/shoulda/coulda.  Play in real time here, Halak & Moore are gone.  Current roster.

What moves do YOU do… And make it reasonable for both sides, in the trades.

25. andrewberkshire says:

If Eller hits all his bonuses then he’ll have MASSIVELY outplayed the best that Moore could have ever delivered on his best day, so what in the hell are you bitching about, Ed?

26. Bill J says:

Fair enough Ed.

BUT.

Is the Off-Season done yet ? Has the season started yet, and for that point has the trade deadline passed already ?

Can we not at least give PG this much credit, he is decisive in his moves.  Plekanec is looking to have been a excellent signing, after M. Koivu’s contract.

RE the Goalies, and this is MY opinion, for a different angle to think about.  No way would I have kept both, they BOTH deserved & where prepared & IMO ready for the #1 job, no more fighting for it.  THEY ARE READY!.

YES – Price is ready – that is why MTL bet on him.

Of late, decisions made by the Habs Brass have NOT been bad ones (the ones we can give value too), these off-season moves can NOT be evaluated till the next season.  There are FAR too many variables that affect a team, and the results they bring.

27. Favorite Son says:

lol, ok, just checking.

28. ed lopaz says:

No contesting that, BUT – Eller was acquired for Halak,

we agree.

29. ed lopaz says:

I gave mine below on the page.

30. Bill J says:

NO NO NO

Share with us WHICH player

And HOW the Habs will have to do it.

That is clearly what I asked you to do.

31. RGM says:

You and your sense-making, Bill. It will be your undoing here, my friend!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

32. ed lopaz says:

Bill,

Here’s the point – for whatever its worth – its JUST MY OPINION ON MANAGING AND I”M NOT AN NHL MANAGER!!

I would NOT have kept the following players:

1) AK 46

2) Roman Hamrlik

I would have kept BOTH GOALIES

I would have kept Moore.

I would have tried to add some more size and grit to the top 6 instead of Ak 46.

I would have tried to upgrade on Hamrlik – younger but not 5.5 million per

Those are my moves to gun for the cup in 2011.

The moves Gautheir have made – IN MY HUMBLE OPINION OF COURSE

do NOT give us a realistic chance to compete for the Cup.

33. Bill J says:

At THAT point and time Moore was EXTREMELY valuable to the Habs.

No contesting that, BUT – Eller was acquired for Halak, and I would think PG felt that was a equal to better player for the role.

And PG does have to think about the team long term, or else he ends up being Sather with the NYR.

How’s that formula working for the Rangers ?

34. Bill J says:

I was countering two other points.

1) that being a rookie Vs a veteran like Moore, that somehow mattered.  And that EVERY team had them, so the playing field is accordingly “even” on that front.

2) IF Eller hits those bonuses… He will be having a VERY good season likely, and will have earned his money.  What’s your problem with that THEN ?

Moore had 28 pts all last season, if Eller wants to hit his bonuses, he will undoubtedly have to TOP that.  But quite a bit I would think.  So Do I care about the Cap in that case ? Not really, trades can happen if required to dump salary.

35. Favorite Son says:

Riight…and keeping Moore would’ve enabled us to make that cup run…

36. ed lopaz says:

I’d like our 2nd round pick back if Moore was so useless and unnecessary to the team.

37. ed lopaz says:

Wanna know why ?  THEY FIT UNDER THE CAP!

Moore does not qualify for bonuses, but Eller does.

And if Eller hits his bonuses, he will be more expensive against the cap than moore.

Over 1.2 million per if Eller hits his 400,000 in bonuses.

so how does the “rookie” fit better under the cap than Moore.

38. ooder says:

it’s nice to see that people can disagree without insulting each other eh ;)

as for your question

honestly i have no clue…

there are so many varaibales…

how will CP play, will ak 46 wake up, will BP live up to his potential.

will Eller deliver? will lapierre play like he did in the playoffs?

what about injuries?

how will PK handle an 82 game season (i assume flawlessly)?

however what i do think is that this team will be much better in the regular season then the one from last year.

after an entire year together and an established identity as well as a captain i really see a bright future for this team despite all the question marks.

——————

88 is the new 23

39. Bill J says:

OK EASports Manager.

Please suggest the moves you think PG should do, that will make this team a Stanley Cup contender.

Go ahead… Have at it!

40. Bill J says:

You discredit the very person who BROUGHT Moore to the Habs.

PG.

I think I can trust HIS opinion, no ?  Since you think so highly of Moore ?

41. punkster says:

It’s Dominic Moore, a journeyman player. Love the guy, for sure. But we’re not giving up anything by seeing what Eller has to bring.

FREE TIMO!

42. Favorite Son says:

Yes but you’re talking like he’s been given one of the top 2 center positions on the team. And if he doesn’t perform to standards, there’s still Lapierre, Pyatt and Boyd who can surely do as much as Moore did in terms of stats.

43. ed lopaz says:

Moore was a smart player, not a scorer.

The habs were winning because they had players like Moore.

44. Bill J says:

Do you know how incredibly hard & practically impossible it would be for the Habs.

To build a team, you could honestly say “Will win the Cup this year”

THIS IS NOT EASports NHL 10 for F*ck’s sake!  We can’t trade Boyd & Eller for Crosby & Malkin, and then AK46 for Ovechkin, and then Gomez for Toews & then Plekanec for E. Stall.

This is REAL life, and sometimes you HAVE to look at the bigger picture.

If not you will drive yourself insane Ed.

45. punkster says:

Oh, and rebuild? That started last summer and the changes since then have, for the most part, been the ongoing rebuild started by BG. And it’s not done yet.

FREE TIMO!

46. Bill J says:

OK you spent ALL this energy on dumping this idea, and on Eller… for his rookie’ness.

ALMOST every NHL team has rookies, every year.  Wanna know why ?  THEY FIT UNDER THE CAP!

Now please do us all a favor, and spend AS MUCH energy selling Moore.

10 Goals / 18 Assist / 28 Points this past season.

One granted VERY key goal in the playoffs.  But THAT goal does not = any benefit going forward.

47. ed lopaz says:

here’s what you wrote below. We agree. Eller has been GIVEN the spot.

48. ed lopaz says:

I have no problem disagreeing with you.

Do you think we will win the Cup this year?

If not, why not??

49. punkster says:

Yep we’ll rue the day we gave up his 2 goals and 9 assists. I mean seriously, getting this bent out of shape over Dominic Moore FFS? Great guy, huge heart, surprise in the playoffs, no question. He was here, now he’s gone. I’m sure he’s over it, why not you?  (Same with Metro. Loved the guy in the regular season, wished we could have kept him. He’s gone, move on.)

FREE TIMO!

50. Bill J says:

I would far prefer Eller develop in MTL, learn the “team” game in MTL that brought them to the ECF.

Over Moore who is on the decline of his career.

10G – 18A – 28PTS.  If Eller can’t muster that, I am confident that PG will pickup another cheep FA, or do another trade deadline pickup (as Moore was).

Seriously guy, if THIS has you rattled to the point of assuming THIS will cause the team to fail.

Your Unreal!

51. Favorite Son says:

We’re talking about replacing Moore ( a 3rd line center ) by a prospect. If Gauthier had not signed Plekanec on the premise that Eller is now in the organization, then yeah, I would b*tch about it.

52. Bill J says:

Are you guys kidding me ?

Your actually arguing over Eller V. Moore ?

for 3RD LINE CENTER job ???

seriously ?  Go OUTSIDE enjoy summer, if this is ALL you can talk about.

Sheesh!

Dominic’s 10 goals & 18 assists last season are not numbers that make the difference.

YES he scored a VERY key goal, but that could have been anyone.

ONE Goal does not make a “valuable” component to the team!

Fan Summit Updates.  Read the instructions carefuly on the HIO Summit page that is listed on the side of this page. Clik below for Iteinerary etc.

54. GrimJim says:

Seriously, Ed, our top six remains the same, we’re adding one defenseman (if you consider PK an addition since he played the playoffs with us), 4 of our bottom six are the same as last year, and a new back-up goalie. 4 out of 21 players are new. That is what you consider a re-build?

55. Favorite Son says:

Have I ever seen Eller play? Actually yes, I have. He scored a pretty nice goalin his first game with the Blues by going to the net.

And yes, he has only 7 games played in the NHL but he already played a year in the AHL. That’s good enough for me. Let’s give him a chance. Besides it is the 3rd line center position we’re talking about here.

You’re saying it’s a rebuild… Did they replace all the veterans on our top 6 by a bunch of rookies? Nope. Did they replace our top 4 D with rookies? Nope. Sorry, takes more than that for a rebuild. For one, we’d need to get rid of all the big contracts like Hamrlik and Gomez.

56. ed lopaz says:

well, i didn’t say anything different than everyone who supported NOT signing moore.

everyone is saying how Eller is this, and Eller is that, and Eller is so amazing.

that’s exactly what gauthier wants.

think there is any chance Eller will be cut from this team?

no. none.

maybe he WILL BECOME AMAZING – but after 7 games???

57. ooder says:

i disagree on that point, but hey.. to each thier own right

——————

88 is the new 23

58. ed lopaz says:

have you ever seen Eller play?

all we can say is that he has 7 games of NHL experience.

guaranteeing him a spot on the roster is ridiculous.

maybe we should give schultz a 4th line enforcer position.

he’s played 0 NHL games.

59. ed lopaz says:

its a philosophy of re-build.

60. GrimJim says:

I’m sorry for my parochial attitude. US Junior evaluation camp roster here

Finland camp roster here:   http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_04_01_06&ID=289662

Swedish camp roster here: http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_04_01_06&ID=289660

If I find any others I’ll let you know…

61. Favorite Son says:

So replacing an older 3rd line center by a young up-and-coming prospect with more potential than the older guy is qualified as a rebuild? Huh. You learn something new everyday I guess.

62. ooder says:

i agree.

no other team has ever promoted youth from within and won with that kind of philosphy..

what crazyness

——————

88 is the new 23

63. ed lopaz says:

its obvious that Eller has already been handed Moore’s spot on the team.

Eller HAS TO MAKE THE TEAM.

Eller HAS TO BE PROMOTED AS A RISING STAR

Eller was acquired for Halak after all.

that’s the reality of how all GM’s work in the NHL.

not just Gauthier.

How would it look if Moore was signed and Eller could not beat out Moore for the 3rd line center position??

It would look very bad, very bad.

Instead Moore is shipped out – regardless of how much he wanted in salary.

The opening is created, and unless Eller is injured, he is the 3rd line center.

A guy who has played 7 NHL games and is 21 years old.

No wonder no one is expecting us to compete for the cup.

We’re re-building again.

just starting another 5 year plan – this time with Gauthier in charge.

is that normal, to re-build – after we finish in the East finals??

are you guys ready to wait another 2, 3, 4 years for this 5 year plan to come together, when we were

7 wins away from the championship.

I guess this is the easiest way to keep your job if you’re Gauthier.

just convince Molson that we need to re-build another 5 year plan, and you get 4 years to win the Cup.

Pretty smart.

64. Favorite Son says:

Where would he haved played though? Our top 3 centers are Plekanec, Gomez and Eller. So Moore on the 4th? Why, when we have the younger guys like Pyatt, Boyd and White who are all cheaper too. Moore is not impossible to replace. In fact it’s quite easy. And we can’t put Eller on the 4th, he needs to develop by at least playing with guys that have some offensive potential.

65. alestar says:

Any word on where Leblanc is playing next season? Like to see him in the Q this year, don’t see how he can develop playing 30 games in the ECAC

XXIV…and counting

66. observer says:

$1.1 million is too much? instead raise pouliot half a million who didn’t deserve to or have to be raised and sign darche for another half a million? even biron contacted habs and was ignored as the signed auld for a few hundred thousand more than biron later accepted. these moves by gauthier are outrageous.

67. observer says:

Yeah right! These teams show loyalty to their players who try their best and perform well for them then in Moore’s case won’t even give him less money than they gave him last season when he played so well yet he sees them raise a player Pouliot who was a wasted spot on the bench almost the last 30 games. Or the loyalty they showed Halak for what he did for them last year and actually all the years with the Habs.

68. alestar says:

Was talking more in general, than specifically about Moore and the Habs.

XXIV…and counting

69. PeterStone says:

nice contract for Moore.  Worth every penny … or are you all going to say he isnt worth it .. isnt that good .. over-rated … too bad we didnt have the roster/cap space for a guy like him.

Best celebration I have ever seen for any goal in any sport .  That was funny !

70. observer says:

Don’t pay Moore who cost Habs a 2nd round pick and for quite a bit less money than he even played for last year and played extremely well for the Habs, but pay a half million in June to Darche and raise Pouliot another half a million off collapsing at the end of the year and the entire playoffs, where Moore was at his best? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

71. likehoy says:

Two Habs prospects invited to the World Juniors Development Camp”

there are more than just ONE world juniors development camp…

who’s going to the others ones? considering we don’t draft that many canadians anyways.

72. CharlieHodgeFan says:

After all those years with the team, he could have been loyal? Hmmm.

73. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Woo! Go Gallagher and Leblanc!

74. crabvader says:

Watch out for Boyd. He will surprise many people.

He also has a lot of upside to his offensive game.

75. alestar says:

But is that a virtue? There’s something to be said about a little loyalty…

XXIV…and counting

Hey, I was just filling in the stats, not giving an opinion.

77. crabvader says:

Exactly. When did anyone ever say “Moore has the potential to score 70 points in a season”.

78. G BO says:

2 yrs 2.2

why gauthier? he was one of the harder workers on the nights where your habs didnt show against philly. cheap price for his work ethic.

Steve Y is building a good team.

79. Favorite Son says:

So then you would’ve preferred Moore to Eller? Besides we have Pyatt, White, Lapierre, Boyd who can all play center. Let’s not make a big deal out of this. Please.

80. avatar_58 says:

…..oi vey

81. GrimJim says:

No it’s “Oi Oi Oi!” Geez a guy is fired for five minutes and already people have forgotten him…

82. HabFanSince72 says:

My guess is that Dominic Moore’s agent started the discussion at $2.2M per year. PG realized this was a dead end.

Now, Moore is looking at all the UFAs who are unsigned, the lack of cap space, and he’s greatly lowered his salary demands.

Unfortunately we have moved on.

If he had come right out and asked for $1.1M/yr for 2 years the Habs might have signed him.

Also, yes Moore was pretty good in the playoffs, but I recall that he didn’t show great work ethic in Florida.

83. alestar says:

Also have to wonder how Moore is in the room, Tampa will be his 8th NHL team, and he never really stuck around with one for more than 2 seasons.

Just sayin’…

XXIV…and counting

84. ooder says:

ok first of all i think DM had to settle.. because he couldn’t find a bigger deal anywhere.

also to play in montreal he would need more money and a bigger cap hit in order to offset the taxes.

was he a good player.. ya sure i liked him

unfortunately this isn’t fanatasy gm world and we can’t sign any player we please.

also if we keep signing veterans when do the young kids get a shot?

——————

88 is the new 23

85. bwoar says:

We’re going younger.  We have guys for the bottom 6 coming out the wazoo, roster players & current Bulldogs.  Moore’s a mercenary, he found his next job, good for him.  Moving right along….

Yzerman is building a good team for video hockey, not too sure how the backend will hang in during tough games.

86. G BO says:

good point. im torn between the idea of moving forward and the idea of not fixing something that isnt broken, referring to his chemistry with lapierre.

87. KenD29 says:

For that amount, I would have signed him! It is going to take time for some of the “young guns” to come of age, if they even do!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

88. Mark C says:

Moore’s price tag wasn’t prohibitive, but with Eller slated for the 3rd line, would have Moore wanted to re-sign?

89. G BO says:

As of right now, I do, because Eller didn’t push us past the Caps. Im saying DM signed at a bargain of a price. go look at Ellers cap hit and its higher, yet we dont even know what he can do. Not to mention the loss of a 2nd rounder.

It’s really looking like this year the East will be one of the weakest divisions in the NHL.

91. ooder says:

last season 4 out of the 5 teams from the NE division made the playoffs.

i don’t think this will change

with boston, motnreal, buffalo and ottawa

so i don’t really see what you mean

——————

88 is the new 23

Guys on the other thread were arguing about the difference is salary between Eller and Moore.  It would appear that Moore’s cap hit is 1.1M per year for two seasons.  Eller has two years left at 875000 and 787000 with a possible bonus hit of 425000 and 400000 for the two years.  He could eventually have a cap hit of 1.270M if he gets all his bonus money.

93. slapshot777 says:

I would rather have Eller than Moore. Just for the sake of having a younger player with potential for greater growth, while Moore is levelled of and if anything will start a decline. There come a time when you have to sacrifice some age and experience for youth and inexperience. I like our both six right now more so than any time last season. I still think PG as one maybe two moves to make once Price is locked up and he knows whats left.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

94. alestar says:

Eller has way more upside than Moore. I liked Moore and was hoping he’d re-sign, but he must have priced himself off the team (remember, he did just that in TO).

Go with the kids to fill in the 3rd and 4th lines.

XXIV…and counting