Writer’s cramp with Price, Gorges & Armstrong

Price Gorges Armstrong

A very serious moment for Canadiens’ Carey Price, Josh Gorges and Colby Armstrong at Saturday signing session.
Vincenzo D’Alto/The Gazette

Canadiens’ Carey Price, Josh Gorges and Colby Armstrong dropped by AL Creations & Collections in Boisbriand on Saturday afternoon, signing autographs for a few dozen fans, posing for photos, then hanging around to sign plenty more product for the company as part of their day’s work.

A truly special feature dropped into my lap, the story coming for Monday’s Gazette. But a few observations and notes:

• Colby Armstrong is a genuinely funny guy. Montreal fans are going to love him; the media will flock to him. I showed him a photo of the ad-clogged Ambrì Piotta Swiss A League uniform of Max Pacioretty and he said, “Imagine if I could sell advertising on my own jersey?” We agreed there might be a few “This Space Available” logos.

• Josh Gorges has a very keen insight into the labour conflict that has the NHL players locked out, that ugliness going into its fourth week. The defenceman impressed me with his sense of what he believes the owners have in mind, opinions based not on emotion but clear reasoning and consultation with NHLPA executive and colleagues.

• Carey Price can take the breath out of a room. When he appeared in the store, a few moments after his teammates, you could feel his arrival. The goaltender is a very big star among his fans, make no mistake. Price said that should the lockout drag on, he could see himself going home to B.C. for a couple of weeks, pleased with his conditioning as it now stands and well aware that European teams aren’t necessarily looking for half-season goaltenders – assuming the lockout doesn’t stretch beyond that.

And below is a great illustration of Armstrong’s goofy side, in another shot by The Gazette’s Vincenzo d’Alto:

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

Roy Macgregor, The Globe & Mail; May3rd 2007:

‘Bob Gainey played in four National Hockey League All-Star Games.

He once told his road hockey and rink-rat buddies back in Peterborough, Ont., that he was going to grow up to become captain of the Montreal Canadiens, and he did for half of the 16 years he played in Montreal.

He won five Stanley Cups.

He won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player in the playoffs.

He was so brilliant defensively that his abilities inspired the league to create a new trophy, the Frank Selke, to honour the checking forward – and he promptly won it the first four years.

When he retired, he was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame. He had been a lock for years.’

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

2. JF says:

Interesting piece on Bettman (link farther down the comments section). But how did he manage to push through a rule change that allows him to veto anything with the support of only eight owners?

3. Psycho29 says:

Thanks to all my fellow Geezers and non-Geezers for the kind birthday wishes….Actually I felt great today…..until I tried to get up from my lounge chair by the pool!

Have a great day guys and gals!!!

4. youngwun says:

Apparently the game tnite will be streamed on hamiltonbulldogs.com
    . Can anyone confirm this

5. East Coaster says:

Has anyone signed up to watch the Bulldogs online? Any idea if the games will be streamed in HD?

6. showey47 says:

LOL,best hockey name ever. From a 2nd division russian league or something. You will have to use the google translate from russian to english.

7. commandant says:

Today I move on to the NCAA’s CCHA conference. This is the last season for the CCHA as the conference will be no more following re-alignment next year.

The Conference has 2 Habs prospects in Mac Bennett (featured) and Mike Cichy (a quick mention about him, but not a feature).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

8. HabFab says:

A report from someone other then JB at the Dogs -Marlies exhibition game;

9. punkster says:

Paltry…Chickens…classic JB!…Thanks for the morning smile.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

10. geo_habsgo says:

Forgot to mention earlier. To all my fellow Canadians on here, Happy Thanksgiving! Hope the day is full of mashed potatoes, gravy and whatever bird it is you decide to roast! :)

11. frontenac1 says:

Friggin Chargers are killing me. Go Als Go!

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Due to the total lack of sports on the tube today, I’ve tried many times but can’t get into the CFL, I’m thinking of ordering the Sarnia Sting game (Galchenyuk) online for $7 bucks @ 2 P.M..

Unless someone knows a reliable free stream for OHL games?

13. SmartDog says:

(I edited this out from a post below.)

HOW I BECAME A HABS FAN (and an ALs fan) BY RANDOM CHANCE:
    A lot of people remember choosing their team because of certain players etc. I can’t claim such involvement in hockey from a young age. Maybe if I was a better skater (I was born in Barrie so we had a lot of snow, even a backyard rink, but I think I was stuck with hand-me-down skates and was always on my ankles.)

I was six or seven. It was a snowy morning. My oldest brother was collecting these little plastic CFL helmets that came in the box. I think it was Muffets. He had just completed the set, and proudly hung them all on a plastic goal post that I think he had to mail away for.

Being the youngest my brothers had already picked Ottawa (my brother wanted to be Prime Minister from the time he was 10), the Stamps (this brother liked horses), and Saskatchewan (dunno why). From those remaining I picked the helmet “with the wings” – which was the Als. When football season turned into hockey season, I was told that since I had the Als, I might as well follow the Canadiens too. This was the early 70’s. And I guess that’s why I’m here today.

SD

• Blondie says:

For some of us it’s just in the DNA. As a kid almost every relative I knew, and there were many of them reasonably close by, was a massive hockey and habs fan. Most family get-togethers were on Saturdays and the hockey game featured prominently. I don’t think it could have been any other way for me.

Edit: The near annual stanley cup parades didn’t hurt much either.

• HabFab says:

Born into a Leaf family and started out that way. Was a Big M fan who was disgusted by the way the Leafs treated him. So when he was traded, I switched to the Habs (the only other option for a true blue Canadian boy) A year later we moved to Montreal and a few after that Big Frank joined us. Not too shabby for a true story! By the way the majority of my family now are Hab fans.
      And as for that CURSE I put on the Leafs in 1968, well you know the REST of that story :D

14. kempie says:

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. I’m a very thankful guy today.

As for hockey, i found this:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Just off the phone w/ #Habs Andrei Markov in Moscow. He’s 2 games into his KHL stint w/ KHL’s Vityaz Chekhov

So, in synopsis, NHL can kiss my ass, have a nice day with your family and that’s about it.

• Hobie Hansen says:

“Guy get’s hounded for years to come to the NHL, leave a nice comfy playing at home, comes into the JM shitshow then locked out. Hope he still wants to come back once this is resolved.”

Are you talking about Markov or Emelin? Markov was never hounded to come to the NHL and he was in town long before Martin arrived? And there’s zero doubt he’ll come back once the NHL resumes because he makes huge money and loves Montreal…

I may not like Bettman at all, in fact I would say i don’t respect him. However, reading this description of him from David Shoalts in the Globe and Mail, you do get the impression he knows what he is doing.

The comparison has been made here before and I am a firm believer that it is accurate. Bettman is like the character Rumple Stiltskin, where Bettman has made enough deals with each and every owner that each of them now owes Gary a favour, or ie. he has purchased all their souls with deals.

I am not sure he has made a deal with Molson yet, but I also doubt Molson has much influence over Bettman.

A good read, I highly recomend it.

• Blondie says:

Thanks for that, it is a good read. Fleshes him out a little more making him seem just like a real person.

I still like the Lachine Canal idea for him though.

• SmartDog says:

Totally Lachine Canal – he’s still an ass.

It basically says that he does a really good job of keeping his job. That’s it. Like Gauthier, he’ll do whatever to try to stay in power – not for the benefit of the league, but for the benefit of Gary Bettman.

Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

I can’t stand him, but he comes by his nickname of Napolean well. Little man syndrome and power hungry attitude to go along with that massive ego of his. I didn’t expect the article to make anyone like him, but rather understand him. I just appreciated how the article articulated how he has all these owners under his thumb even though many may not agree or like him.

• SmartDog says:

I agree – an interesting article and with more insight into how he works. Thanks for posting.

Just saying that I don’t admire him for all his cleverness, his goal is to make 30 Fat Cats happy – which is why he’s always thumbing his nose at the players and fans. He deserves all the crap that can possibly rain down on him and more.

• SmartDog says:

This article only makes me hate him more.

It says he stays on top by always being a step ahead, building up favors, building loyalty, etc. And that he does his homework – at every meeting he already knows the outcome and has the answers.

If that’s the case, why are we in another lock-out? I’ll give you the answer: he doesn’t give a sh$t about the players. He works for the owners so he manages them well. But he doesn’t give the same respect to the players, doesn’t think how to manage them, doesn’t put the time in. In his opinion, if he can get a deal it doesn’t matter how long it takes – a month of lock-out? Three months? A whole season? Who cares?! This is Gary Bettman too. If he can’t control you, he ignores you. He ignores the players. He ignores the fans. And this is why he DOES deserve all the crap we can level at him – and more. He’s like a government that only looks after the people who voted for him. Everyone else can go screw themselves. He’s screwing us and we all know it.

16. Blondie says:

Hey SmartDog, if you’re still looking for an NFL team to support the Vikings won again yesterday. They’re now 4-1, tied for second in the conference with Chicago, San Fran, and Arizona.

Skol Vikings!

• SmartDog says:

Thanks! Yep still looking…. I have my short list, Vikings are on it. :)

I am going to decide without watching a game – I want my first game with my ‘new’ team to be with fully fresh eyes. But am reading up to see who has a storyline worth following.

Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

I was a pretty young kid when I picked my team, and perhaps one of the influences was that great Coke commercial with Mean Joe Greene and the young kid. End of day, I picked the Steelers cuz I loved the personalities on that team, Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann were my favourites, but I loved that whole team.

If you are serious about following 1 team I suggest you grab a team with a good young Quarterback. The NFL is an absolute QB driven league, without a good QB a team will go nowhere (always an exception like the Ravens with Trent Dilfer).

By picking a team with a good young QB you will be able to watch that franchise as it develops and becomes competitive. Not sure about Minnesota’s QB Ponder, but he has a great Running Back to help him.

Indy and Washington seem to have real good young QBs. But whoever you pick, you gotta stick with him. It will be worth it, good luck SD!

• Blondie says:

I remember that team. They were a lot of fun to watch, and usually had great quotes after a game.

• SmartDog says:

Thanks – that’s good advice. Yah, I want to pick a team that has a story worth following and some interesting young players. Not necessarily the ‘best’ team now but one I can enjoy watching for time to come.

SD

• Blondie says:

How about Adrian Peterson coming back from major knee surgery? Torn ACL and MCL – similar to an NHL defenceman we’re all familiar with.

Best running back in the NFL, love watching him play. So happy his recovery appears to have been excellent. Growing up in Winnipeg, my older brother was a huge Purple People Eater fan, didn’t hurt that Bud Grant had the Winnipeg connection with that team. Too bad they never won a Super Bowl with those great teams.

17. Psycho29 says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians….
    Oh and Happy Birthday to me! Geez……54 today…..I know….OLD….
    Anyhow, the girlfriend brought me up to the Hilton at the Casino in Gatineau for a couple of days. So if I’m not on line I am probably in the Casino, the hot tub or the pool.
    She also gave me these little blue pills for my birthday, she said they are decongestants. I don’t get it, I don’t even have hay fever.

LOL, hmm I am concerned you get confused in the casino while playing slots, remember to pull the right lever!

Happy Birthday Psycho! :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Can’t really comment on the hot tub or pool there and can’t say I’ve ever taken blue pills, or at least the kind you’re talking about.

However, if you’re planning on playing poker while at Lac Leamy you’d better put your name on the waiting list early because it takes forever to get on a table. They don’t staff enough dealers in the poker room. You can have 50 people on the waiting list, 5 empty tables but no dealers….

• Habfan10912 says:

Blue pills? My wife gives me those. She told me they were vitamins. Got one stuck in my throat once. Had a stiff neck for a week. Be careful! Happy birthday bud!

• Blondie says:

Happy birthday! I’m a ’58 vintage myself. We’re not getting older just better and wiser. Well, except for the knees. :)

• JohnBellyful says:

Happy birthday.
      I don’t know if Geez(erhood) starts at 54. You’re only as old as you feel.

• SmartDog says:

Happy Thanksgiving.

And thanks for making me feel young!

18. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends and foes alike.
    A random thought. I notice our HIO sites designated comedian John Bellyfull does not have an avatar. Knowing this gentleman’s sense of humor I wonder what it would be if he had one? Kind of a scary thought, huh?

19. geo_habsgo says:

Anyone take a look at MaxPac’s statline recently? 5 games played and only one goal scored. Kind of worrisome considering he should be playing against weaker opponents. I half expected to see plekanec type numbers.
    Maybe he’s just playing on a weak team.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think you’re right! He had one real lucky season in the NHL last year. I doubt he’ll ever score 10 goals in the NHL again. We should trade him now while we can still get something back for him.

• Habfan10912 says:

• geo_habsgo says:

lol take is easy buddy. That’s not what I was getting at at all. He is my favorite player on the team. I am stating a fact about his stats. I don’t think we should move him I just find it curious that he’s not more productive where he’s playing.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Oh I know, just being an ass. It is kinda funny how that works sometimes. Especially with junior players. You get a guy in junior who averages well over a point a game but can’t stand up to the physical demands of the NHL. And than there’s a guy who barley sees the score sheet in junior who ends up being a real solid NHL player.

I’m sure Pacioretty isn’t used to his line mates, has maybe hit a bunch of posts or is running into a spell of good goaltending…

Morning Geo, he is also on a bottom feeder team so I doubt he has linemates like Cole or DD. I wouldn’t read to much into his stats in that league. FOr that matter it isn’t like Ovechkin or Malkin are dominating in the KHL either.

Hopefully he does find his touch there for confidence sake, but end of day he is only there to stay in game shape and hopefully avoid injury.

• chemic says:

weak team indeed! Ambri is like the mixture of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Phoenix Coyotes. they have absolutly no money and they aren`t any good on the ice too. at least their fanbase is really passionate which is maybe the only reason why this club still exists.

right now they are really a bad team and the combination of a bad team and passionate fans is really delicate. actually the team does not leave the homerink until the hardcore heads from the stands are gone. they say it might be dangerous because this guys are really pissed. its sounds a nbit scarier than it is but when you dont show up 100 percent on the ice, you might have kind a bad time with this club.

20. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout — Day 24

“Welcome to HIO Password, the game show for hockey-starved fans.
    And have we got a treat for viewers! Joining us today are NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and players’ association president Donald Fehr. And, guess what, folks, they’ll be playing as a team – oh, didn’t we tell you fellas you wouldn’t be playing against each other? Ha, ha. Surprise!
    “Now, now, no cursing. That’s one of the rules. Here’s how we play: One team member is shown a word and he has to make his partner guess correctly what it is from a one-word clue he provides. You are allowed up to 10 clues.
    “When you’re done, the other team tries to get their word with fewer clues in order to win. And your opponents today are Merv Boggs, the owner/general manager of the Tier Three Bouctouche Lobster Traps in New Brunswick, and Sam Whickman, coach, trainer, media relations person and team bus driver for the Junior D Dauphin Sun Kings in Manitoba. Welcome, gentlemen, and good luck.
    “Team NHL gets to go first with Mr. Bettman giving the clue. Here’s the word [shows Bettman a card with printed word]. You have a minute to give all 10 clues if necessary. Starting NOW!”
    GB: Insignificant
    DF: Offer!
    “Wrong. Next clue.”
    GB: Irrevelant
    DF: Expenditures!
    “Wrong. Next clue.”
    GB: Annoying
    DB: Escrow!
    “Wrong. Next clue.”
    GB (beginning to show signs of his mounting anger): Paltry
    DF: Chickens!
    “Wrong. Next clue.”
    GB: PALTRY!
    DF: Ohhh. Paltry. Ahh …. Hmmm…Owners!
    “Wrong. Next clue.”
    GB: Contemptible.
    DF: Owners, no, wait! I already said that. Lemme see … Stance!
    “Wrong. Next clue.”
    GB: Bothersome
    DF: Restrictedfreeagency!
    Buzzer: ANNNNNNHHH! “Wrong. Need I remind you, Mr. Fehr, the answers are one word?”
    DF: That WAS one word. I said them altogether real fast!
    “Doesn’t matter. You were wrong anyway. Next clue.”
    GB (steam is coming out of his ears and he can barely contain his fury): Troublemakers!
    DF (tentatively): Reporters?
    GB (makes face and nods as if in agreement, then resignedly shakes head to signal no)
    “Wrong. Next clue.”
    GB (looks at clock, sees seconds winding down, purses lips): Refuse (pronounces it as (reff-yews)
    DF (hearing reee-fuse, becomes highly agitated): Sure we did! It was a lousy non-offer you knew we couldn’t accept. We were ready to pla”Mr. Fehr, calm down. No need to get worked up. I believe what Mr. Bettman was saying was ‘reff-yews,’ as in rubbish, not ree-fuse, isn’t that right, Mr. Bettman?”
    GB (tilts head, nods, rolls eyes)
    DF: Oh. Sorry. Okay, my answer is … hmmm, ree-fuse, I mean, reff-yews … rubbish … garbage … trash … trash …TALKS!”
    “Wrong. Again. Talks not the answer. Last clue. If you don’t get it this time, the word goes over to Merv and Sam, who’ll get one shot at guessing it correctly. Mr. Bettman?”
    GB (looks at Fehr, looks away, looks back, pushes his lips out and then pulls them back, repeats twice, sighs and then opens mouth as if about to toss a Hail Mary, and exhales): Sheep.
    DF (leaps up, his face dark red, raises his fists, and yells at Bettman): Fleeced! That’s what you want to see happen, isn’t it? Uh?! UH?! Happy now?! Badmouthing me and the players in front of all the”Mr. Fehr, please sit down, that wasn’t the right answer, and now it’s the other team’s turn to make a guess. Merv, I believe you’re the one giving the clue. Okay, here it is.”
    (Shows him the card. Merv looks at the word, his eyes widen and then he smiles broadly): Godsend.
    Sam: FANS!”
    “Congratulations, gentlemen, you’ve just won $50, to split 50-50.”
    Merv: Our team can buy some hockey tape!
    Sam: I can get a wiper!
    The show ends with a camera panning to Bettman and Fehr rolling around on the floor, apparently having resumed negotiations with a clear intent to reach an agreement then and there.

***

Third and final step in fans’ show of disgust over cancellation of games once NHL resumes play: This is where Operation Poke in the Eye earns its name, the targets being those directly involved in failing to arrive at a collective bargaining agreement in a timely and judicious manner.
    The manner of execution will be identical to that perfected by the original Three Stooges, whose number over time has been reduced to two. What is most unfortunate is that the two remaining Stooges occupy positions of power, and have chosen to include in their act fans in the role of Patsy.
    Well, gang, let’s make the most of it.
    No more poking fun at these idiots.
    It’s time for some serious poking.

***
    Not having hockey is a bummer but there’s still lots to be thankful for living in Canada. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

• Habfan10912 says:

Surely a major TV network will pick this up, JB. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

• Cal says:

Ahh, watching old game shows these days, eh JB? :D
      Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Hello Hockey/Out, my old friend
      I’ve come to sing to you again
      Because of owners loudly greedy
      Took over my game in rinks seedy
      But hockey that was planted in my brain
      (Beliveau, Orr)
      Still remains
      Within the arenas’ silence

On countless sites I surfed alone
      Narrow band width on my phone
      ‘Neath the halo of the new Hockey/Freak Out
      I resolved to write many parodies about
      Then my eyes were stabbed by the pic of two men in suits
      Evil’s roots.
      And touched the rinks with silence

And on this site I saw
      Two hundred people, maybe less
      People talking about junior teams
      Habs prospects are quite good, it seems
      And others writing songs that voices never share
      And no one dared
      Disturb the rinks of silence

“Fools”, said I, “Fehr and Bettman do not know
      CBA talks like a cancer grows
      Hear the fans that we might teach you
      Take our dollars that we might reach you”
      But our words, like moulted feather fell
      And echoed
      In the rinks of silence

And the fans then turned away
      From the spectacle they had made
      And then the clock flashed out its warning
      In words that it was forming
      And the clock said, “The words of these two go nowhere without a doubt”
      That’s why the lockout.
      And whispered in the rinks of silence

Another good morning read, Thanks John. ENjoy the rest of your THanksgiving weekend.

21. cristianp6 says:

meanwhile overseas… it seems that our MaxPac has some Italian roots (italian story):

bye!

22. jols101 says:

Sarnia vs Windsor tomorrow at 2pm.

Gally vs Vail.

Should be a good one. Hope they both continue their stellar play…

23. commandant says:

People can talk about Sean Payton being suspended as the reason the Saints are losing, but the reality is that Sean Payton is an offensive coach not a defensive one, and New Orleans’ biggest problem is that this defence absolutely sucks.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

24. JayK-47 says:

Colby looks like the high school buddy who got a job as a logistics tech after he dropped out of CEGEP.

GYM. GET TO. NOW.

25. SmartDog says:

Hey all!

If you’re looking for a thanksgiving entertainment, and have not seen the movie Goon, it is a funny movie and absolutely a good time.

Adults only – it’s absolutely not for kids. Or women. Or old people. Or sensitive people.

see the review:

26. HabFab says:

Sarnia highlights showing Gally getting 4 points last night;

27. Habitoba says:

What is the big picture in all the CBA talks? Would fluctuating cap space/salaries depending on economy/profits help fix underlying problems? Why is it that it’s just the salary cap that fluctuates? Why not have the contracted saleries ebb and flow along with it? This would maybe help in limiting the problems large contracts cause while still maintaining the element of “locking in” a player for a few years. So long as the fluctuation is uniform with all the teams across the league of course (for example, a 3% cut across all salaries, management and player, one year and depending on data, perhaps a 4% raise across the board after a good year).

Is this something that makes sense or am I being far too general?

(spouting random ideas because I’m bored)

(edit) also, sorry if anybody has already brought this up, I don’t have time to go through all the various posts)

• Habfan10912 says:

I am not an expert in the complexities of the NHL finances. Your proposal has merits but its how the orginal % of revenue gets distributed which is the is the sticking point. Once thats agreed to, a system somewhat like you are proposing could work. Its the starting point which appears to be the hangup.
      I probably have over simplified this but I am no expert.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’m pretty sure that’s how the old cap worked. The Cap was based on projected revenue and players payed into an escrow fund. If revenue fell short of the projection then players lost some or all of the money that had been withheld, and when revenue exceeded projections players got bonuses.

• Habfan10912 says:

Unlike one poster here who says no one in the US cares, here is a major newspaper producing a well thought out piece. I know the US NHL fan is very upset at this lockout. Funny thing though Frank. Isn’t the US lack of fans which contributed to the many franchises in the US bleeding money which is very reason for this lockout.
      Hope you enjpyed your day. CHeers.

28. Mavid says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone..my 2 babies (all grown up) are coming over tomorrow for a visit..that makes me very happy and thankful, now if hockey would start I would be delirious…enjoy everyone

• Habfan10912 says:

Mavid, enjoy the time with your family. CHeers.

• SmartDog says:

Sounds awesome.

But now you’ve gone and made me sad. To think that on top of spending time with my own kids I could be watching a game tonight. :( I’ll blame it on you when I have to drown my sorrows in turkey and stuffing!

29. Habilis says:

I get a good chuckle when the players resort to empty threats. Bryzgalov is the latest to do so. The full article is on TSN.

“I think some of the players may not return to the NHL because you have everything here and major companies are going to pay the top players here big money.”

Yeah, call me after you’ve spent two or three seasons flying to tiny Russian industrial towns in the dead of winter instead of flying to Florida and California. Better yet, call Kovalev.

30. Boomer says:

So Matt Duchene’s going to Frolunda… There goes what little chances Collberg had to lace up. Scratching/Benching Collberg is just ridiculous. they need to send him down cause this will seriously hurt his development…
    Anyways, apparently there are live streams on occasion on this site (Link Below). If you scroll down there’s a “Eliteserien in English” link with interesting blogs.
    That live streaming would be a good chance to catch Collberg and Nygren(Timmins’ sleeper pick) if they get some ice time. Also good to watch 2013 draft prospect Elias Lindholm ;)
    I haven’t caught a game yet but if by some luck anyone here can understand swedish and could help guide us to the live streaming that would be GREAT. In the meantime i’m going to click on random things on that site till a hockey game breaks out…

Cheers

• Hotsauce says:

Is it possible that the Habs could arrange a trade to a weaker team or perhaps strong-arm Frolunda into sending him down?

• commandant says:

Not much the Habs can do.

That said the signing of Duchene is good for Collberg IMO. With Frolunda’s lineup as is, Collberg is stapled to the bench as 13th forward. I think if they sign Duchene and get their current guys who are injured healty, we’ll see Collberg sent down.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

Honestly, I don’t think it is that big a deal that he isn’t getting a ton of game action. European leagues have always had a bit less emphasis on games than North American leagues anyways. A full season in Sweden is 55 games (as opposed to 82 in the NHL).

A good example would be somebody like Daniel Alfredsson (December 11 birthday). At age 19/20 while playing for Västra Frölunda HC, the same team that so many worry is destroying Sebastian Collberg, Alfredsson played only 21 games (in a 22 game season).

Over the next couple of season, he played 39 (of 40) and 22 (of 22) games. The Swedish Elitserien did not put a huge premium on games.

Secondly, Swedish teams are often VERY patient with their kids, preferring to let them hone their skills in scrimmages and practices rather than throwing them out on the ice whey they are perhaps not ready.

As long as Collberg is getting lots of attention off the ice, I have full confidence that he will be fine. Frölunda has historically done a nice job developing NHL forwards, so I’m not going to get too bent out of shape by his lack of game time.

The knock on Collberg is that he is small and needs a lot of work on his defensive game. Those are two things that he can do in scrimmages and practices as well as off-ice workouts. At 5’11” and 170-175 pounds, Collberg remains a little undersized to get anything but spot duty while he builds up his strength.

• Boomer says:

An undersized hab prospect???? that’s unheard of!!!!

I’m worried cause scrimmages and practices are one thing, but there’s no comparison to real games. Hopefully things work out.

and to answer your question Hotsauce, unfortunately the Habs can’t do to much. The only rights they have are in the nhl, meaning they can only trade his rights to another nhl team. I guess they could ask Frolunda nicely though ;p

31. Say Ash says:

Ironically, Armstrong’s pipes look anything but.

32. Lafleurguy says:

Russian characters in movies who taught me more than Russian:

Lesley Anne Down as Olga in “The Pink Panther Strikes Again.”

Xenia Onatopp in “Goldeneye.” Killer thighs.

There was also Ivana Humpalot in “Austin Powers,” but her accent was a little too British.

“May you live in interesting times.”

33. B says:

The 2013 Memorial Cup host Saskatoon Blades are off to a poor start. Hab’s 2nd round pick Dalton Thrower has been a healthy scratch for the last 2 games (coach says he is playing by his own rules). Of course it is way early and there is lots of time to turn things around.

• Hotsauce says:

off ice problems??

• B says:

All I heard was the coaches “playing by his own rules” comment. I know nothing more about it.

• Hotsauce says:

hopefully it’s just bad penalties, or running around the ice looking for a hit.

I hope it’s not excessive drinking or hookers or coke, that’s the last thing we need……….

• B says:

I would guess being late for a practice or something like that, but that is a pure guess. They have been trying to shake things up with the poor start and have already replace the captain. Like you I hope it is nothing too serious, Thrower seems like solid blue collar type prospect.

• frontenac1 says:

Commandant pointed out yesterday that the coach also ripped the C of their captain.only a couple of games into the season. Either they were naughty boys or the coach is a Putz. Anybody out in Sask.heard what the hell is happening?

• commandant says:

I talked to someone out there recently.

Rumors from a bunch of billets that Molleken’s discipline is not working and he’s losing the room right now. Sad in a year where they have a strong club and a guaranteed spot in the Memorial Cup.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

34. SmartDog says:

Just saw a headline online: Lions Reach 10 Wins, Clinch Playoff Spot

I like watching the CFL, I like the Canadian rules to football. But with 10 wins you clinch a playoff berth? C’mon.

35. Hotsauce says:

Gally is officially a prospect to watch, incredible considering that he missed an entire season, all my previous comments on him are discarded, I have eaten my words.

I sure hope that Throwergate was not due to off-ice issues, this organization has had more then our fair share of that………………..

36. commandant says:

NCAA seasons are right around the corner.

A WCHA Preview, featuring a look at Danny Kristo

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hotsauce says:

Trade the idiot, he’s a good prospect but he is already showing Patrick Kane-esque tendencies off-ice.

Or hopefully he signs with us and he can be influenced by our new coaching staff and player personnel staff like ScottMellanby. That is why MBbuilt up that staffing in order to work with our prospects and not throw them all away as we had been doing under the PG/JM regime.

• SmartDog says:

In my view, this is MB’s single most important accomplishment.

For YEARS I said that the most ridiculous thing about the Habs brass is how they did not mentor their players well. They let them sink or swim. Which is RIDICULOUS, not only are these kids young but in a salary cap era they are too important as an investment not to develop them not just as hockey players but as PROFESSIONALS and as people.

• matt jordan says:

The Sergei Kostitsyn trade was my favourite. PG really showed off his managerial talents along with his keen eye for talent.

• showey47 says:

Though i’m not letting PG off the hook for that one,it was pretty much impossible to have any leverage in the way of a trade when Jacqass Martin felt sergei wasn’t good enough to be a regular. Add to it sergei was a rfa and there was no way he was going to resign. Sk and dagostini were 2 glaring examples of how much of a clueless idiot JM is. I would be shocked if he was ever behind a bench again,unless it was because he had great seats to a game.

• Kooch7800 says:

Sk is not a top 6 forward. He also had attitude issues. Grabovsky is more talented but no one complains when we dumped him.

Neither of these players are key cogs to a cup team

• Chrisadiens says:

Agree Kooch. You’re coming to the replacement summit right?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• SmartDog says:

Yah, and that Patrick Kane guy is such a bum. Wouldn’t want him on my team.

37. showey47 says:

Markov is #27 in white. There is another markov who is #55 or something but i think that is daniel.

38. geo_habsgo says:

Just had a look at Galchenyuk’s stats. 9 points in 6 games. Those were the kind of stats I’ve been waiting to see from him. Glad to see that he’s starting to heat up!

Any surprise that Bozon is doing as well as he is? Disappointed with Collberg though.I don’t think he’s in the right league for his development.

• Habfan10912 says:

In addition he’s playing for what I’ve been told, a very weak team. I’m sure he’s getting a lot of attention from his opponents.

• commandant says:

He’s gonna get a ton of attention even on a strong team. He’s one of the best, if not the best player in the OHL this season.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

That was the gist of my post much lower in thread. Coming off a knee operation was going to take time and the fact that he is now showing his skills is so positive. The fact he is a gym rat only enhanced his physical recovery, but like with all players coming off ACL operation, getting the confidence back that your knee is fine is the biggest hurdle. Looks like he is doing this.

I think it was a stroke of luck that he got to get this rehab done at the Junior level and didn’t have to go through this mental hurdle at NHL Exhibition or possibly the first 9 games of reg. season.

• commandant says:

I haven’t seen the games, but everything I’ve heard about Collberg is that he is not getting ice time with Frolunda and is stapled to the bench as the 13th forward. There have been games he dressed and didn’t even play (SEL teams dress 20 skaters instead of 18 like NHL).

Collberg needs to be sent to a weaker club, or to the Swedish Junior club.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jon514 says:

I prefer to look at it as 6 points in 2 games!

Heading out of town for the festive in a few minutes.
    I thought I would like to take a second to wish all HIO members in Canada, a very nice Thanksgiving day!
    ENJOY!

Also sorry that our getting together time this year in Montreal had to be cancelled until next time!!

• Habfan10912 says:

Ian, to you and yours, hears hoping that you have lots of things to eat and to be thankful for. CHeers.

———————————–

Ian, no need for you to apologize, you did a great job as usual organizing what would have been a great time for all who attend. Hopefully we get a Thanksgiving miracle and the two bozos in charge find a way to meet in the middle.

All the best to you and all the other people here on this Thanksgiving weekend. Enjoy your turkey!

40 years ago the WHA was formed, here is a good article about that league.

• Lafleurguy says:

I was an Edmontonian then, and funny how Jim Harrison has always been my favorite WHA player, even though J.C. Tremblay, and Marc Tardif crossed over to the Nordiques (and Reggie Houle too).

“May you live in interesting times.”

The late 70’s were great for me. Being a Habs fan in Wpg I got watch Lafleur, Shutt and Lemaire on TV and live I could go watch Hedberg, Hull and Neilson for the Jets, probably the best line in WHA history.

I remember that final WHA season and Wpg beat the Oilers in the playoffs, one of the games was 12-11 type high scoring game and some young kid named Gretzky had I think 9 or 10 points in a losing cause. Unbelievable offense in the WHA.

• Lafleurguy says:

Hedberg would have been great as a Hab. Was he as fast as Bure?

“May you live in interesting times.”

I don’t think he was that fast, but he was something special, I seem to recall he hurt his knee pretty good before he ended up with the Rangers for that brief NHL career with Nielson.

I was so frustrated at how the dispersal draft was handled when WHA joined the NHL, protecting 2 forwards, 1 dman and 1 goalie. Of course maybe my frustration was that the Jets protected Scott Campbell who basically never played in the NHL.

From Avco Cup Champs to NHL Chumps in one season…..

• Lafleurguy says:

Jets played by the rules and protected asthmatic Scott Campbell, and captain Terry Ruskowski. Oilers had Jeb Bush influence the State Supreme Court or something, and did not have to protect Gretzky or Messier because they had signed personal services contracts with Nelson Skalbania as 17 year olds. Remember the Baby Bulls (17 yr. old professional hockey players) Rob Ramage, Barry Beck, and Rick Vaive?

“May you live in interesting times.”

41. rhino514 says:

Armstrong looks flabby

42. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout — Day 23

Being a hoarder has its perks. Such as transporting you back in time when you finally get around to clearing out the stacks of newspapers piled high throughout the house. Some of the headlines I came across made me realize how much I had forgotten over the past 70 years or so:

Bettman touted as the ‘caring commissioner’
    Hiring will put end to labour unrest: owners

Gomez signing has Hab fans talking Stanley Cup
    Fast and small key to winning in new NHL: GM

Goaltender controversy tearing apart Canadiens
    Fans divided into Hackett, Theodore camps

Thomas tells government critics ‘to get a life’
    Goalie’s tweets buoy faltering Democrats

Talks begin on new deal with four years left on current contract
    Leaving negotiations to last minute called ‘irresponsible’

Players complain jock straps should be personal choice
    Mandatory wearing upsets league veterans

Goaltender controversy tearing apart Canadiens
    Vachon calls ‘A-plus student a Junior B goalie’

Steady rise in player concussions not cause for concern
    NHL study shows no lasting effect from ‘getting dinged’

Avery boasts new girlfriend ‘number one love’ of his life
    Everything else comes second, says Dallas forward

Players object to being made to wear helmets
    Fear it could hurt personal endorsements

Young stars attribute on-ice brilliance to unshakable bond
    Lafleur, Lemaire inseparable away from the rink

Goaltender controversy tearing apart Canadiens
    Roommates Hodge, Worsley split over TV*

Players say making head checks illegal will ‘pansify’ game
    Rule against spearing ‘already ruining’ hockey

Hockey’s new sheriff says videos will end confusion over punishment
    Shanahan promises ‘no more head-scratching decisions’

*This one’s true

***

Burl’, I appreciate your volunteering to blog the game for those of us who get behind the plan to boycott the first period of matches when the NHL resumes play. However, I honestly feel that for the protest to be truly effective it requires the commitment of ALL fans so I must regretfully ask that you withdraw your kind offer.
    We must stand shoulder to shoulder against those would trespass against us (it’s a Sunday morning thing).
    Here’s Part Two of the co-ordinated protest, Operation Poke in the Eye (explained in yesterday’s lockout diary entry): After the fans take their seats for the second period, they rise in unison at the first stoppage of play past the half-way mark and give a huge raspberry to the league and union, holding up large photos of the two leaders’ faces.
    Part Three in tomorrow’s lockout post.

***

It angers me no end when I see or hear fans calling for Bettman to be hung in effigy.
    PLEASE, NO SUBSITUTES.
    (Definitely not a Sunday morning thing. Well, maybe Old Testament).

Okay, all for one one and one for Bellyfull. I will abide by the rules of Operation Poke in the eye.

Did u enjoy the exhibition game last night? I am assuming you brought along copies of many of your good ideas which we have endorsed here and passed them onto MB?

I thought you were kidding about the mayors joke, but read game summaries online and he did indeed make the fat jokes, too funny. Apparently the Marlie brass were not impressed.

• JohnBellyful says:

That’s the spirit, Burl’!
        We’re all in this together. Power to the people, the little guy, the Joe and Jill Schmoes of the world! We shall reclaim our game! Vengeance will be ours!
        (I better turn off the Gospel Hour).
        Yeah, I enjoyed the game, except for the outcome — and the fact the Marlies generated more scoring opportunities.
        Hope to attend the game in Hamilton Oct. 26.
        Planning my itinerary for the day this very moment.
        Is there an opera house?

• Lafleurguy says:

I think Joe is actually married to Flo’, oh scion of the Hammer. Some trivia for you: the mascot name “Marlies” is a derivative of “Marlboroughs,” unless of course I’ve had a sheltered life and there really is such a thing as a Marlie.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• JohnBellyful says:

Marlboroughs, eh? The cigarettes? Oh, those are Marlboros, right.
            Even so, the Marlies could garner a lot of publicity, which every AHL team could use, if they were to have a giant cigarette as their mascot, whose head would light up every time the team scored, and whose rallying cry to get the fans shouting in unison would be: ‘Smoke ‘em!’

• Lafleurguy says:

Corrected!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Lafleurguy says:

Cool outside, ain’t it good neighbor? Unworthy of a mayor. We all have an “inner” teenager and it often comes out when intoxicated, angry, insulted or in this case, untalented in coming up with good humour. Wonder if the mayor is nice and slim. Not a fan of his but I feel sorry for young Kadri.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Very cool neighbor, yah apparently the mayor of Cobourg was trying to poke fun at the media, but it didn’t come out well.

Funny thing about Kadri, apparently as a kid he was a huge Habs fan.

• Cal says:

Good morning, JB. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at your post, seeing all that history repeated over and over.
      Today, I take aim at The Who.

You all know what it’s like
      To be a big fan, to be a mad man
      Behind two guys.
      Bettman knows what it’s like
      To be hated, to be fated
      To telling only lies

But my dreams, they aren’t as empty
      As Bell Centre seems to be
      I have hours, only lonely
      My love is vengeance that’s never free

You all know what it’s like
      To feel these feelings like I do
      And I blame those two.

Everyone bites back hard
      On their anger, none of our pain and woe
      does show through.

But my dreams, they aren’t as empty
      As 30 NHL arenas seem to be
      I have hours; only lonely
      My love is hockey, that’s never free.

When Don Fehr smiles, I want to crack him open
      But before I do it and lose my cool
      When they smile and tell me bad news
      I have to laugh and act like a fool

And if I have to swallow more of your bile
      Shove your finger down my throat
      And if I puke on you give me a towel
      It’s what you’ve earned you miserable s***s.

You all know what it’s like
      To be a big fan, to be a mad man
      Behind two guys.

• JohnBellyful says:

Cal, I’m getting worried. Judging by the content of our recent posts we need to think about getting some anger management counselling.
        I’m actually thinking of switching my allegiance to hockey to chess. The pace is more my style.

Haha, that song got pretty dark at the end, very fitting as our frustrations turn to anger. Good job again Cal.

43. JohnBellyful says:

Thought it best if I wrote this up now while my memory is still fresh:
    Dogs lost 3-1 (third goal was empty-netter; winner a powerplay goal through the legs of Mayer); Marlies carried the play, in part because the Dogs took so many penalties; Gallagher and Leblanc were among those not dressed; little to get excited about the ones who did play in terms of providing an offensive spark for the Habs in future; Hagel was overmatched in a bout with some big guy (sorry, there was no program, and the game was hours ago), getting knocked down, and when he later tried to goad the same player (some big guy; sorry, there was no program, and the game was hours and a couple of minutes ago) into a rematch with a series of ineffectual jabs, the fellow refused to take the bait and Hagel was given a 10-minute misconduct; lots of shot blocking by the baby Habs; very nice arena; mayor of Cobourg took a shot at Kadri in opening ceremonies, saying the facility’s dressing rooms had been designed to accommodate 15 fat players (oldtimers), and Kadri wouldn’t have a problem fitting in, if you believed the Toronto papers; several management types were spotted throughout the building — Dudley, Brisebois, Burke; weird thing – the Marlies mascot was a dog (maybe he’s in a contract dispute with Hamilton).

44. commandant says:

Ryan Kujawinski was traded from Sarnia to Kingston for Boston Prospect and now AHLer Ryan Spooner when Sarnia needed more offence to make the playoffs last year with Galchenyuk out. The move got Sarnia what they wanted short term as they knew Yakupov wouldn’t be back. This year Galchenyuk still has some guys to work with on the first line (particularly Charles Sarault) even if the Sting aren’t strong overall, their first line is fine.

Still I see Galchenyuk traded out of Sarnia at the deadline for picks and prospects if he’s not in the NHL in January

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

45. jols101 says:

Gally ended the night with 2g and 2a, all 4 points were on the PP.

46. L Elle says:

Oops, technical difficulties

47. HabFab says:

1-1 after two periods in Bulldog game.

48. jols101 says:

Our boy Galchenyuk is having a good night 1 goal 2 helpers and the game is only half done….

• commandant says:

He’s shaking off the rust and getting hot.

Depending how long the lockout lasts, he might just be NHL ready (ie say we start in January)

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jols101 says:

Ya he has played a lot of hockey since his injury –
        – 2 regular season games plus 6 playoff games last year – he was full of rust
        -2 short Montreal prospects camps – still full of rust
        -2 week USA junior evaluation, including 3 games – still lots of rust
        -Then he went to that Steihl (sp) conditioning camp and practiced with professionals – still knocking off the rust.
        -Then the Sting’s training camp with 4 or 5 pre season games – much less rust but his timing was probably still a little off.
        – now 6 games into the regular season and all the rust has got to be gone and his timing is back to normal…

Too bad the Sting aren’t a contending team, I don’t think he has much to work with as far as making plays. Kind of like Pleks last year…

I just read an article that said the Ktown Frontenacs kid that won player of the week last week( always forget his name, it is a weird one lol ) was a first round pick last year for the Sting. How did Kingston get their hands on this guy? It would be fun to watch him and Gally on the same line lighting it up. Too bad, Gally needs a top flight OHLer to play with or it will hamper his development. Unfortunately,95% of the guys he is playing with now will never see the inside of an NHL locker room.

I take it by your statement then that coming back from ACL operation should normally take about 10 games?

• jols101 says:

I was discussing rust and timing after a lengthy injury and never mentioned his ACL. If you ever played the game at a competitive level you would know what i was talking about instead of posting an irrelevant comment…

• HabFab says:

So is that your reason for posting this irrelevant comment?

49. savethepuck says:

Just called my sister who I forgot about regarding XMas presents. Every year I go there and see way too much Leafs Crap under her tree. She’s a die hard Habs fan but unfortunately her husband and he swayed their kids, are all Leafs fans. I told everyone in my family that if I visit them atr XMas and there is anything under there trees NHL relatted, I’ll throw it out. Just trying to do my part, no mater how small a difference it makes.

50. commandant says:

These Notre Dame Helmets are awful. When will teams learn that if the uniform is a classic, don’t change it.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

51. JayK-47 says:

At work and I’m listening to Bulldogs hockey???

What, whaaaat?!

listen here: http://cham.player.amri.ca/

MaxPac, DD, Cole
    Eller, Plex, Gio
    Armstrong, Gomez, Moen
    Prust, Nokia, White

PK, Gorges
    Markov, Emelin
    Boullion, Kaberle

Just thought I would practise a line combo in case there is hockey again.

First… of all… what’s with the Habs news? I thought this was Hockey InLockOut?

Had to include him or my line combo wouldn’t of gotten any responses. :) How you doing Habsolutely?

55. Habfan10912 says:

Ahhhh. The good old days when we talked about hockey and line combinations. Boy do I miss those times.

Free L now!!!!!

56. Habfan10912 says:

Awesome Habsolutely! You now can study fish on their own environment which will give us an edge when we finally get a chance to fish together. CHeers

Free L now!!!!

57. JayK-47 says:

I dunno if we ever fully healed from the Price/Halak Wars of 2010 to have 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D Center Wars of 2012.

I don’t pretend to think this article or the writer or the Professor quoted has influence over the negotiations. I merely appreciate the concept being presented. That the pie both sides are fighting over is a popsicle, and that if they wait too long, there will be much less to divide. The concept that both sides are hurting the golden goose is the point I took from this.

59. Habfan10912 says:

Wrong! Both Ferh and Bettman will NOT be collecting a paycheck during this lockout.

60. Habfan10912 says:

Yes Gerald. We should just go by what the Bruin troll JCC says.

61. Habfan10912 says:

What library are you using this morning Nr. Moderate American?

———————————–

No matter how Fehr spells his name or Bettman, neither is taking a pay cheque for the duration of the lockout.

63. Habfan10912 says:

Speaking of garbage, that’s all you have done on this site in the short time you’ve been here. Troll!