Would you watch NHL replacement players?

Bouillonweb

Would you watch NHL replacement players during the lockout?

That question was being asked in hockey circles after former Toronto Maple Leafs GM and player agent Bill Watters told a Toronto radio station recently that he believes commissioner Gary Bettman will use replacement players in November to try to break the union. Watters added there are plenty of available players in the AHL and ECHL as well as free agents.

Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times responded with a column this weekend under the headline: “The best chuckle of the lockout”.

“It gave us a chance to laugh,” Cristodero wrote about the comments, “as Lightning captain Vinny Lecavalier did last week when asked to contemplate the scenario.”

Lecavalier told Cristodero: “I don’t even know what to say about that. Obviously, if (the NHL) wants the best league, taking 700 players and replacing them, it’s probably not going to be the best league.”

Wrote Cristodero: “Forget for a moment the hard feelings if NHL teams raided their affiliates for players. The replacement act has been tried before, with disastrous results.”

You can read Cristodero’s entire column by clicking here.

Among the NHL lockout wagers posted on the betting website Bodog.ca is: Will replacement players be used at any point in the 2012-2013 season?

The odds were posted as 15/1 for Yes.

Meanwhile, Andrew Roth of the New York Times, who is in Moscow, wrote a good feature on how the NHL work stoppage has been a boon for the KHL, which is enjoying its most high-profile season since its inception in 2008. You can read that feature by clicking here.

Jack Todd’s Monday Morning QB column in The Gazette focused on the impact lockouts have had on Montreal sports teams and their fans. You can read that column by clicking here.

And you can find out which two NHL players made SI.com’s Tweets of the Week list and also learn how new Canadien Colby Armstrong and some of his teammates spent Thanksgiving by clicking here.

(Photo by Graham Hughes/The Associated Press)

1. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS – Gary Bettman, Bill Daly, Don and Steve Fehr will talk before the cba talks session. Still no core-economic on the agenda.

• boing007 says:

2012-2013 Hamilton Bulldogs season tickets, Pioneer Flex Pack tickets, group tickets and single-game tickets are on sale now! For as little as $10 per game, you can enjoy the many benefits of being a ‘Dogs season ticket holder including reserved seating for all home games at Copps Coliseum…

… ‘I call that a bargain, the best I ever had’

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

2. Bripro says:

Our (former) boy, Ryan McDonagh is reported having signed to play with Barys Astana of the KHL. All the talented players are …. oh, never mind!

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

3. frontenac1 says:

Dump Buttmans Rancid Carcass in the Lachine Canal. Go Fronts! Go Als! Go Chargers!

4. shiram says:

Rumours of the NHLPA threatening to go after the salary cap, it seems to me removing the cap would benefit the bigger teams to the detriment of the smaller markets.

• ed lopaz says:

actually, Shiram, I think that the Cap also benefits the bigger teams.

here’s how.

take the leafs for example. last year they made over 50 million in operating profit with every game completely sold out, and revenue at near maximum.
      their payroll was “capped” at about 64 million.

so what would the Leaf owners feel compelled to do if there was no salary Cap?

I think they would go fishing for the best and most expensive free agents and try and out bid the other teams and try and buy a winner.

why? because their fans and the media would be demanding that they spend some of those profits on bringing them a better team – or at least more expensive players – because buying a team full of expensive players does not guarantee success.

this could drive up their player salaries to 80, 90, 100 million.

but as revenue is virtually at maximum, all they would be doing is eating (lowering) their operating profit.

this is precisely why the Leafs and the other “big”, successful and profitable teams were (and continue to be) in favor of a hard salary cap.

they “locked in” or “guarantee” their operating profits, and their fans can not complain that they should be spending more and more on payroll to bring them a Cup winning team.

• Bripro says:

I’m not so sure, Ed.
        Look at the Yankees.
        The higher the payroll, the higher ticket prices at the gate.
        And I think it would be the same for the ACC.
        Considering that the Leafs already charge more than anyone else, I don’t think they’d have a problem charging more if their fans thought it could bring them a contender.
        Besides, I’m sure that if the cap was to be abolished, the higher-profit teams would make a case for keeping the money they used to bail out small market teams.
        Just a thought…

*********************************************

• shiram says:

Agreed on all parts except one, I’m a fan, and I don’t care about the teams bottom line, and if it means the Habs could have an advantage over some teams, well I would not protest that!

• Mattyleg says:

There’s definitely something to be said for money invested vs. product delivered.

If Habs fans shell out more than most other teams on a more regular basis, why shouldn’t we have the best players? All the cap means is that Molson gets to put more money in his pocket while paying the same amount for players as Nashville, Phoenix, Carolina, etc. etc.

The Canadiens should be able to generate ACTUAL ON-ICE SUCCESS from the money invested in the team by fans. If anything, the cap should be adjusted for a team’s profit margin. That would favour hockey cities over the rest of ‘em.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• commandant says:

If the PA goes after the Cap, you can forget about hockey this year.

5. Bripro says:

Hockey Frustration Song no.7

Cue the music.

There’s a game some place and I’m goin’,
    I care not if the league does die.
    Come with me where hockey’s showin’.
    Leave the sinkin’ ship behind.

Now that my patience’s thinned,
    They’re driving me around the bend.

Ooh!

Bring your gear and a beer down my way,
    We’ll watch game while the gettin’s good,

Take a drive to my end of the highway
    My good life is as it should.

Little Bettman and his whims,
    Is driving fans around the bend.

Ooh!

You can ponder my proposition,
    Wrap your brain around no more play.

We’re all friends for good conversation,
    We’ll all agree with what you say.

C’mon down my friend,
    Am I all alone around the bend? Yeah!!!

Catch a ride to my end of the highway,
    And we’ll smash a TV or two,
    When they show either one on the airwaves.
    Fehr or weasel make me poo.

With fan support gone thin,
    They’re driving us around the bend.

Ooh!

There’s a junior game and I’m goin’,
    ‘Cause these kids all play for pride.
    I’ll take whoever ends up showin’.
    Leave the NHL behind.

*********************************************

6. HNS says:

Screw Bettman! Canada should start up a Canadian Hockey League with it’s 7 teams and let the US team owners choke on it.

7. Habfan10912 says:

Canceled my reservations at Novetel. The folks at the hotel were very nice and the refund was resolved. Gosh I hope the CBA gets settled so we can do the Summit this year. Oh well, on to Hamilton.

———————————–

• Cal says:

Of everything, that’s the thing that burns my ass the most. Ian busts his butt to make a great Summit every year and this is how the NHL repays him. :(

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree. Very appreciative of Ian’s efforts. Was really looking forward to meeting many fellow posters there. Big time bummer.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Agreed boys.
          I was so looking forward to it as well.
          And as much effort as Ian put into this (yet again), I doubt that Butthead even knows he (or any other of the world’s greatest fans) exists.

*********************************************

• boing007 says:

You should gather up all the particulars of that Summit get together and send copies to the NHL in New York and Fehr.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• SmartDog says:

There are lots of Ians and thousands and thousands of plans being ruined by the arrogant near-midget who runs the league.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

8. Mattyleg says:

Something that the NHL didn’t have to contend with last lockout:
    Regular broadcasts of KHL games in North America.
    That’s gotta feel threatening.

Something that bugged me in Burly’s Zetterburg article was the fact that Russians are treated really well in the KHL, as are Czechs in the Czech league, etc. etc.

Why does OUR league have to be run by a capitalistic, money-grubbing American?! I can’t help but think that a purely Canadian league would be run slightly differently…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

Ahem, um, Matty? All business people are, um, money-grubbing. Else they’d be failures.

• Bripro says:

Uhhh. I’m not money-grubbing.
        Maybe that’s why I’m not a _ illioinaire.

*********************************************

• Cal says:

Well, there are businessmen, but then there’s businessmen. Where’s #6 in your series? ;)

• Bripro says:

Actually it’s 7, ’cause I ran a #4 twice. Oops.
            And wait a minute….
            What are you saying, Cal? I know business. I can stick my nose in anyone’s business…. Try me! ;)

*********************************************

So we should have racial undertones in our Canadian League? Would Don Cherry be the Commissioner?

Therefore only Canadian boys get treated fairly?

I don’t think you meant that Matty, but when I read how KHL favours Russian players, I am pretty sure that the way that league is run, if Cherry were Russian, he would love it.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not talking about racism or national preference, Burly.

It’s more about the fact that the biggest league playing our national sport is run by an American who is constantly pushing the game on the south side of the border to make as much money as possible, trying to create hockey fans out of people who traditionally follow other sports, while alienating those who traditionally follow hockey.

I don’t think -maybe I got the reading wrong- that Zett was saying that the Russians get preferential treatment on the teams, but that they appreciate being stars in their own language/country, and the attention it gives them. Giving an interview in the Columbus Post-Humhaw in English probably doesn’t have the same feeling for a Russian as giving an interview in his own language for a paper he’s read all his youth, or being interviewed on Russian TV rather than Hockey Night In Canada (if even Canadians still care about that…)

Plus, in Canada, we recognize hockey players in the street, regardless of whether they play for the home team or not. Across Canada, hockey players are treated like superstars, while in most US cities, they would be completely anonymous – even in cities with NHL teams.

And I’m talking about players of all nationalities, not just Canadians.

There’s a culture around hockey -especially in Canada- that Bettman just doesn’t get. Imagine the NFL or MLB being run by a Canadian! How well would that go down? There just isn’t the same kind of cultural connection with the game.

Canadians do things differently than Americans. Not better, not worse, but differently. I can’t help but think that if there were no teams in the US -or perhaps just the Original Six teams, and that the league was based in Canada, run by Canadians (with players from all over), that things would be done a bit differently.

And you well know that I have no time for Don Cherry and his nationalistic ramblings, so let’s keep him OUTTA THE CONVERSATION! ;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

Post of the day… with one small exception.
          I really don’t care what nationality the commissioner is.
          But you nailed it when you said that Bettman doesn’t get the feel for the hockey culture.
          I wouldn’t have a problem with Mike Modano or Vladislav Tretiak running the league, if the results were hockey-oriented and positive.
          Not a lock-out every contract renewal.

*********************************************

I know you didn’t mean that Matty, sorry if I it seemed that way. Was more just a continuation of my rant towards Hank Z.

• commandant says:

I don’t think they feel threatened.

Games are on in a different time zone (nothing live in prime time).
      Games are broadcast only on ESPN3 (internet only).
      Games have a small number of familiar players, no familiar teams, and no familiar logos. Names are “weird” to the casual fan and not North Americanized.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Interesting how the KHL is now described by NHL players as this great league. Perhaps more of the NHL Players should stay there, since it clearly is an open and honest league, the owners of these teams must be people of the highest morals and upstanding virtues.

• shiram says:

Meh, they are speaking to their audiences and letting them hear what they want to hear. Signed contracts in the NHL will have to be honored, wether they like it or not.

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
      And none of the owners’ money comes off the backs of exploited workers and a corrupt and complicit government!
      …If I read you right, Burly…

I also love the fact that actually ‘paying the contracts they say they will’ is even brought up, as though there was some evidence that they might not.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

For the players of the NHL to now suddenly talk about the KHL as a more righteous and better league is a joke. Majority of the owners of the KHL are Mafioso of the highest degree, to start speaking like these are more honourable people than the NHL is pathetic.

I used to love Zetterberg, but if he wants to talk rhetoric like this, well I can now consider him to be a player I no longer cheer for, or at least respect.

Cut the BS already players, I can’t stand what Bettman is doing either, but perhaps Hank should approach Ilitch in Detroit and tell him how much nicer the owners in the KHL are than him.

• Habfan10912 says:

I hope Chara stays there! :)

———————————–

• Bripro says:

It’s all posturing, Gerry!
      You can’t let it get to you. It was meant to irritate Butthead, not we, the greatest fans!

*********************************************

10. shiram says:

Would you watch the BHL, if it was broadcasted on your local sports television station?

11. J Haul says:

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned, but very witty play on the site name in the heading.
    “Hockey /Out”

12. Dr.Rex says:

With replacement players this really could be the year the Leafs make the playoffs.

13. Habfan10912 says:

For those of us south of the border, ESPN2 now showing a KHL game between Lev and Dynamo. Chara vs. Ovie.

———————————–

14. Kfourn says:

There seems to be a large calibre difference between the OHL and the QMJHL as the QMJHL has 14 players with 12 points and over and the OHL only has 2. I wanted to compare the progress of Grigs. vs Galchenyuk, but it’s hard to tell with the difference in league calibre.

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• Luke says:

I’m not sure if “calibre” is the proper term for it. Perhaps “style” would better describe it. It has always seemed that the Q is skewed very heavily towards offence, the W is more D oriented and the O is somewhere in between.

• Kfourn says:

hmmm ya, maybe I worded it wrong. In any case the season is still young. I would love to see Galchenyuk dominate the OHL.

_______________________________________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

You very well may have worded it wrong but your point seems to be a valid one. I would add that it appears Gally is also playing for a weak team. Good point.

———————————–

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“There seems to be a large calibre difference between the OHL and the QMJHL as…”

brilliant observation!

15. Bripro says:

Morning ‘all!
    Took four days away from here so that I could come back to a refreshed HIO, with positive news that the two sides had finally agreed and what do I read?
    Are we serious here, or is this a bottom-of-the-barrel topic of conversation?
    And who’s Bill Waters in relation to the current NHL, anyhow?
    A former Leaf…….? Ahh. That sums it up. Another former-NHL-whatever-now-in-the-media, trying to draw attention to himself maybe?
    And I see where some would actually consider this? Really?
    From my perspective, replacement players would perform at a level similar to ….. AHL? Maybe? If we’re lucky?

Even NHL’s fourth line players are of a caliber you won’t find in junior ranks. They don’t have the talent of a first or second-line player, but are either specialized in one area (e.g. Dominic Moore, Max Lapierre) or are versatile enough to fill in, on occasion (Travis Moen).

The speed, quality and impact would be seriously compromised. And that says nothing of the stain it would throw on the NHL’s image.

Instead of offering band-aid solutions, get that little weasel’s ass back in the chair, along with “I ruined the Expos” Fehr, across the table….NOW!
    Why wait until tomorrow. If the two could put their egos aside, and negotiate in the spirit of fairness, we wouldn’t even be contemplating this joke of a band-aid solution!

*********************************************

• shiram says:

Imagine, a league of Petteri Nokelainen.

• Mattyleg says:

Friend of mine spotted him in the street in Montreal the other day.
        His two biggest surprises:

1: How well dressed he was;

2: That my friend recognized him at all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• neumann103 says:

I am being completely serious when i say that Nokaleinen would look like Pavel freaking Datsyuk in a league of replacement players.

This is both a statement about how he actually has some usable fourth line skills and what a horror show a scab NHL would be.

“Et le but!”

• Lizardking89 says:

Tell us how you really feel. But seriously great post and I agree. Why hasn’t the league considered a mediator? These two sides are so far apart that if drastic measures aren’t met the season will be lost without a doubt.

• Nina76 says:

lizardking89..For me I think that they would never consider a mediator because they the OWNERS & BUTHEAD want all the glory. After watching hockey for over 50 years I could care less. I have my comp plus lots of movies & good books to read. They do not givea damn about the fans only their pockets. PLEASE DO NOT LET ME HEAR OR READ THAT AYNONE INVOLVED IN THIS MESS CARES ABOUT THE FANS!!!! They are all a bunch of As… and full of CRAP. I don’t care if we lose the the season , my onl wish is that the fans would stay away from the games if we have any, but I know that they won’t. WHAT A SHAME, IT WOULS TEACH THEM A LESSON. I am not going to say GO HABS GO because I do not care where they go.

16. commandant says:

A look at Hockey East, home of the defending Champions from Boston College (Habs prospect Colin Sullivan joins the team, this year).

• Bripro says:

Boston College must have some program.
      I don’t think I’ve read of another university or college (especially U.S.-based) pumping out as many NHL-caliber hockey players.
      Over the years, some quality graduates, like Gionta, The Wings’ Doug Brown, Scott Clemenson, Kevin Stevens, Brian Leetch, Bill Guerin.
      I’m sure there are tons more, but most of (if not all) these players have gone on to play on the U.S. Olympic teams.

*********************************************

• Lizardking89 says:

Ken Dryden comes to mind :)

• commandant says:

B.C. has been one of the best schools. They have 3 of the last 5 NCAA titles, and 4 since 2001.

Boston University is another traditionally strong program.

Michigan, North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin have also built strong hockey traditions.

Notre Dame has greatly improved in recent years, as has some other smaller schools like Minnesota-Duluth, Maine, Merrimack, Vermont, Denver, and Miami (Ohio).

The thing with NCAA hockey is there is about 40 schools playing D1, and I’d say that maybe 15-20 of the programs are known as traditional powers. There are a lot of schools that are also-ran status.

• Habfan10912 says:

I would add that many scouts think because of the fewer number of games played in NCAA hockey, development can be slowed. Not sure if that’s the case given the examples sited by Bri.

———————————–

• commandant says:

I actually wrote an article on NCAA vs CHL, what is the best route for a prospect a few months ago, if you are interested. Basically my conclusion is that it depends on the player.

For a kid like Galchenyuk, the best route is the CHL. He’s a player with a ton of skill, who needs to be on the ice and continuing to play. He’s physically mature and needs to build endurance over a long season.

For another Habs prospect (Mark MacMillan) who is skilled but has a very skinny and slight frame the NCAA is a better route. Less games and more time to bulk up in the gym.

There are other examples and other pros and cons for each system in the article.

17. Cal says:

This whole “would you watch replacements” idea is just one to get us to chat. A talking point, as it were. In other words: Um, heck, we’ve got nuthin’. Quick, post something. Anything!

18. jedimyrmidon says:

Did anyone see the Bulldogs’ games?

I’m wondering if their lack of offense is due to playing against a much more experienced Marlies team while also being a young team. Hopefully, they can get their offense going.

• commandant says:

They also had a pre-season lineup out there.

Not the same lineup we’ll see in the regular season.

Still this is a young team, and even though they have talent, the AHL is not a league for young teams. They will be on the bubble to make/not make the playoffs all year.

• jedimyrmidon says:

What about the Marlies? They would’ve had a pre-season lineup as well, right (though I’m guessing to a lesser degree)?

• commandant says:

They also had a pre-season lineup to a certain extent, yes.

So two pre-season lineups, with a bunch of guys who will end up in the ECHL doesn’t tell us a lot about the two teams.

That said, the Marlies should be stronger than the Bulldogs this year, just more AHL experience on that squad.

• neumann103 says:

i had high hopes for the Bulldog before the lockout because i thought they had a lot of young talent who were not going to be far from NHL level. Eg i could see gallagher tinordi beaulieu leblanc maybe even bournival only spending a year there. They appear to still lack goaltending but i could have seen a late season maturing team push.

But with the lockout dumping players into the AHL that is moot
        And team like the Marlies that was already stacked with ALL level talent also picking up some NHL level prospects will make this moreso.

Still i think they will be fun to watch and am planning on going to the October 20 game in Toronto.

“Et le but!”

Anyone else having trouble posting these days?

20. geo_habsgo says:

I’d watch a game with scab players but I don’t think it can hold me past a few games. I love the my Habs and think that hiring replacement players is ultimately disrespecting the hockey sweater we all love.

21. Blondie says:

I might watch one game out of curiosity but not regularly. Besides, as others have pointed out, it would be a PR disaster for the league and, quite likely, illegal in most of North America.

22. geo_habsgo says:

Looks like the Habs tryout prospect (he was supposed to be at training camp this season), Montrealer Luca Ciampini is off to a good start with the Mooseheads this season. 5 points in his first six games including 4 goals and one assist and a +4. Nice to see him scoring goals since that has always been his main draw.

If the Habs put effort into him as a prospect and he takes his training seriously. He can be a John Tavares like player. A little poor on the skating but can shoot the puck as well as any NHL player.

• commandant says:

John Tavares is a Superstar. I doubt Campini can even approach that level.

• geo_habsgo says:

Well I don’t think that he can necessarily reach that height but I think that he is the same mould of player just by judging their strengths and weaknesses. Both are sort of weak skaters with very heavy, accurate, and quick released shots. They can both snipe.

I think that the only thing that is holding Ciampini back is that he hasn’t taken his training as seriously as he should. In fact, I know he hasn’t from direct sources. It is crazy to see how fast a kid who at one point was considered a top-10 draft lock could slip so far off the radar. I think he is a worthy project, wouldn’t you agree?

• chanchilla says:

Tavares is the kind of player i wish the habs would do everything to go after. In every NHL game i’ve owned for the past few years he has been my 1st line center for my gm league.

23. commandant says:

Tim Bozon had a good weekend with a 3 point night on Saturday.

He now has 10 points in 6 games. (5 goals 5 assists)

24. SmartDog says:

I’d only watch replacement players if there were cheerleaders and puck had a blue flaming tail – and our top scorer was named Falco.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

25. Mustang says:

Some points that come to mind, in no special order.

– Labour (SCAB) laws in certain jurisdictions would make using replacement players difficult or impossible.

– The players are locked out, they are not on strike so how could the owners possibly bring in replacements?

– If the owners want the games to resume, they should simply stop locking out the NHLPA and resume play as the NHLPA has already endorsed this concept.

– Assuming that replacements were used, how much would they charge for the tickets?

– Would the NHLPA expect it’s members to picket the arenas on “game night”?

– How many people would actually attend these games?

• longtimehabsfan says:

I was wondering about that myself. The players are locked out and not on strike. Replacement players would be a PR disaster for Bettman. I personally would not watch any games.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

26. shiram says:

I’d definitely give replacement players a chance and watch a game, I’m curious how that would work out. I’d probably prefer to watch HD broadcasts of the Bulldogs game, but those are not going to be a consistent thing.

27. centre hice says:

There will not be replacement players. It simply won’t happen.

In fact, this ridiculous threat of scab players confirms what I always suspected. This lockout is less about money, and more about union busting.

Is it just a coincidence that there is an election going on and one of the issues is whether or not unions are good for the economy? Is it just a coincidence that the last lockout in 2004 there was also an election?

28. nellis13 says:

Great way to piss off season ticket holders and sponsors. I’d probably still watch though.

29. Phil C says:

Using replacement players is a joke. At best the NHL would be WAY over valuing their brand power. At worst, they are completely ignorant about what they are selling. The NHL is successful because they are the best league in the world with the most star players. Fans will pay big money to watch the stars play, as they make the product worth watching. The NHL without the stars becomes like the XFL, and we know how that turned out.

The owners will only strengthen the players’ position if they choose replacement players. The only way this strategy would work is if they crack the NHLPA and the players break ranks, but I see that as HIGHLY unlikely.

30. Mattyleg says:

Morning all,

So, I just want to get people’s opinons here:

170 people (so far) have claimed on the poll that they would watch replacement players in the NHL.

I’d like to know why.
    What is your reasoning?

For me, the CH is the players on the team.
    I don’t want to see any old grubber wearing La Sainte Flannelle just so that the owner can cut his losses a bit. It’s a privilege to wear that jersey, and I would hope that all Hab fans would agree about that.

Watching NHL hockey is watching the best hockey players going up against each other. Watching ‘replacement players’ wearing the jerseys of clubs that they don’t belong to, being coached by men who weren’t hired to coach them is worse than a farce, in my opinion.

So why would you want to watch that?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

They’re pulling your leg, Matty. Many are just angry enough to say. “Bleep them all, the miserable bleeps!”

• SmartDog says:

I’d watch the AHL if it was on and I think most people feel the same. We want to watch some good hockey – the best available.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• commandant says:

Would replacement players be as good as the AHL? I don’t even think they would reach that caliber, as many of the best prospects wouldn’t sign up to be replacements for fear of being blackballed by the NHLPA going forward.

• Luke says:

Hey, don’t kid yourself… Plenty of old grubber’s have worn that jersey. Pierre Sevigny?

I get your point. I know what you are saying, and to some extent I agree… I do think however, this lockout and discussion on replacement players reinforces that Seinfeld was right:

We’re just cheering for laundry.

• canuck9 says:

You would basically be watching the AHL…wouldn’t you like to watch the AHL if it was the best available. I know that it would give us a great opportunity to see some of the players in the systems. I would watch…why not, I’m watching College and Junior Hockey right now.

31. FuzE_gus says:

I know the owners are the ones who initiated the lockout but if players can go play elsewhere why can’t owners use replacement players?

Wouldn’t be the best scenario for hockey but owners have a right to run their businesses without being held hostage by labour.

With Regards from FuzE_gus

• Cal says:

Selected play by play of the replacements during the NHL lockout.
      “It’s Wasisname over to Theotherfella. Gets by Whothepuckisthat and takes a shot. Save by Whozamacallit. The one fan in the stands goes crazy!”

• commandant says:

If owners want to run their business without being held hostage by labour, go ahead.

Run the business.

No CBA

No Salary Cap

No Restrictions on Contract Length.

No Draft, every prospect is a free agent.

Run it as a free market… the players would end up making even more money.

32. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I dont mind another lock out. hopefully we can land a top 5 again when it resumes. price last time around. galchenyuk this year. maybe a seth or nathan next?

either way i support the players. if the owners werent so greedy the players could make their own league except, those evil owners still wouldnt rent out their 20,000 seat empty garages.

33. English is not a Crime says:

Balsillie needs to grab a couple of his billionaire buddies, say one in Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Boston, New York, Vancouver, LA, etc. Those guys then need to each approach the top 12-20 teams worth of locked out NHL players and see if they are interested in playing in a new league called the FUBHL or just the WHA maybe. Pick up some guys that were blackballed like Ted Nolan and others… they can coach in this other league. Have the league operate without a salary cap or any of that other nonsense, profit share, no one team or one owner more important than the others *cough Leafs, Jacobs etc cough*. Toss stupid crap like the instigator rule that the players hate, reduce the season to about 70 games with fewer lengthy west coast swings, cut the head hunting nonsense and make a set list of penalties and suspensions that apply equally to all players on all teams. Cap ticket prices for all arenas at an affordable rate (give something back to the fans). Just publicly work out the details and see how long Bettman’s current ownership group likes screwing around with the players every 4-5 yrs like this when there’s a second viable option without the idiot in charge. The WHA was a thought going around last time, but it never happened. The best thing for hockey may well be the NHL facing the real threat of competition so they ditch this Bettman clown and stop screwing around all the time (maybe even drop the ticket prices a bit so we can afford to go to a game without taking out a mortgage)

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

no where else to play but in the rich man arena.

• commandant says:

Balsillie has plenty of his own issues to worry about. RIM is in big trouble.

• HabFanSince72 says:

RIM has problems alright but they aren’t Balsillie’s anymore. His only relation to the company is the shares he owns. And they’re worth 1/20th of what they once traded for.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• commandant says:

The majority of Balsillie’s wealth was the shares he owned. His personal net worth has taken a major hit.

Sure he’s still “rich” as he probably has a big house, doesn’t need to worry about food on the table, etc… etc…

But is he “super rich” to the point where he is a billionaire ready to start a league to rival the NHL? Not anymore.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

He is estimated to still be worth 800 Million. That is more than Geoff Molson. Not saying he is stupid enough now to try own a team in a startup league, but if a group of owners wanted to try and do a WHA styled league, he could afford to be an owner in such a league.

But those plans take years to get something started. By the time a group of potential new owners were ready to start a league, the NHL will have long been back in business.

• Cal says:

If it were so easy- let’s forget the myriad of lawsuits, etc., another league would be up and running.
      The NHL continues to be the best league with the best players, despite being poorly run. There is no substitute.

34. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout – Day 25

It’s getting harder and harder to put up with this CBA nonsense so I rented the Diehard Hab Fan movies over the weekend to boost my spirits. Unlike the contract talks, these films are full of action.
    The one that launched the series still holds up: the Canadiens are set the leave the next day for their annual West Coast road trip and are holding their Christmas party at the Bell Centre when the building is taken over by a sinister, short figure and his gang. John McClane, a custodian in the building, manages to surreptitiously make his way through the evildoers’ lockout and rescue the team so it doesn’t miss any games. Seeing the diminutive villain getting tossed out the window still gives me goose bumps.
    Diehard Hab Fan No. 2, which takes place the next day, is a pretty good sequel. The plane carrying the Canadiens to the West Coast is hijacked by a evil, short figure and his gang. John McClane, moonlighting as a mechanic at the airport, foils their evil plot despite being on the ground and locked out from the airfield. Seeing the diminutive villain getting blown up still gets my heart pumping.
    The third film is okay but the plot is getting tired: brother of sinister, short figure tries to blow up the arenas where the Rangers, Islanders and Devils play. Why? So there won’t be any hockey. (Have these guys got nothing better to do?) John McClane, suspended from the custodial staff and fired from the mechanic’s job, is earning a few bucks as a tow truck driver. He discovers what’s going on, breaks up their dastardly plans, and confronts the evil, short figure’s black-hearted brother at the Canadian border. Seeing the bad guy get beaten to a pulp with a beaver still takes my breath away.
    Although I like the idea of a fan never giving up no matter what hurdles are placed in front of him, I wasn’t up for watching the fourth in the series and I have no intention in seeing the fifth when it comes out next year.
    You can only watch the same thing happen over and over and over again so long.
    I think the series is having a hard time dying. Give it up already!

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

goon

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning JB! I see an Oscar in your future.

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

Good mornin’, Jim.
        Oscar in my future? My wife sees an Oscar in her present. (I’m a very messy person. It’s a good thing my mind isn’t cluttered.)

• Cal says:

Love the DieHard Hab Fan films. They’re my fave Bruce Willis movies. (Way to go, JB!)
      As you are sounding more and more, well…morose, it’s time for that theme song from that great shipwreck of a move, “The CBA Adventure.”

There’s got to be a morning after
      If we can hold on through these talks
      We have a chance to find a hockey game
      Let’s keep on looking for the Cup.

Oh, can’t you see the morning after?
      Happy players and owners and a shiny new CBA.
      Let’s not jump off that bridge together
      We’re just fans and it’s not our way.
      It’s not too late for this season…
      Yep, I’m desperate and looking for a reason
      to continue caring while we wait.

There’s got to be a morning after
      A bright and shiny new CBA
      And we’ll escape the darkness
      Of empty rinks and no highlights on tv.

There’s got to be a morning after
      (repeat until you’re convinced)

• Habfan10912 says:

Now we have the soundtrack to the film “Dihard Hab”. Great work Cal.

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

A sinking ship would be an apt metaphor for a league scuttling its future.
        I’m a big fan of the Diehard movies as well, at least the first three; haven’t seen the fourth. Does McClane save the day? (You never know. The owners of the franchise could change direction.)
        Your songbook is filling up in a hurry, Cal. What are you at now?
        I think I’m at 19. You must be nearing that number, if you haven’t already.
        I feel like an aging QB whose stats are about to be surpassed.

• Cal says:

I been stuck at umpteen for a while. Can’t seem to count past it. I’m just shocked something new pops out each day. Whether it’s good or bad is another story. Besides, song parody is easy. Making up scenarios (what you do) is veeeeerrrrryyyyyy difficult.

If the lockout continues thru to Halloween, will you be renting all the Halloween (Jason in hockey mask) movies? That will be a long post. May want to start your research early, each movie is so different from the previous. :)

• JohnBellyful says:

I’ve never watched any of the Halloween movies — beyond a few clips — or others in the genre. Not my cup of tea. Or blood. ‘Snuff said.
        :) (I couldn’t find an emoticon of a smiley face dripping blood from its fangs. Someone should get on that.)

I don’t watch them or the genre either, but was just trying to find you material. You could trademark ™ that emoticon, you would make millions!!!

35. downeast hab says:

NO—- But has this drags on, one has to size up who has the biggest ego. I recently read a article about the situation on both parties wants. I looked at the players and then the owners, I cannot understand how a player cant play for a major salary in the NHL, but can go overseas and play for pennies, stay in cheap hotels compared to NHL hotels, something is going to give cause if you notice the players standing behind Fehr are major superstars that dont give a hoot. But the trench players are humming a different tune in the background. The owners pay the salaries and burden all other costs of the players, simple example; they have to a superstar an meal allowance while on the road, 90 bucks a day. how petty. The players want the whole shop. Lost all faith in players greed. cause we pay for it at the gate.

They should sign MAB.

37. Peter Young says:

No, I wouldn’t watch a union-busting league of second-raters who are the rough equivalent of scabs.

What I really wish is that Canada could somehow seize the occasion to take some measure of control of hockey at its highest professional level and, if not control, then to assert at least some measure of independence from U.S. interests. I’d hope for a professional game that pays much more attention to the interests of the fans, largely because the game means so much more to most Canadians than it does to, say, Gary Bettman, who typifies much of what is wrong with the U.S. attitude to professional sports.

It’s a pipe dream, of course, but it’s often a pleasure to dream about the entirely unrealistic.

38. Les-Habitants says:

Guys! They have done it now, what will we do?!? They have setup an entire league of the next best pro players in North America! Can you believe it!?! My god, the nerve – here, look for yourselves:

SHOCKING!!! They’ve already begun broadcasting it on the radio AND TV!!

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

the bulldogs website sucks u cant even view the roster. wtf? the same goes with the ahl it is theit time now to gain alot of fans and i dont see it happening. they need to reach out to the nhl fans i dont even know more then a handfull of teams of whose affilated with who, they need to make it more accesible and present the league on a more professional level

39. chelios_24 says:

Watching replacement players is better than watching no hockey. Do we get to see the return of Chris chelios, lidstrom, kovalec, federov, hasek?

40. chelios_24 says:

Watching replacement players is better than watching no hockey. Do we get to the return of Chris chelios, lidstrom, kovalec, federov, hasek?

41. otter649 says:

It’s Bill Watters making the comment about replacement players someone most people do not take seriously at any time…….

42. accp says:

Couldn’t care if they ever come back – Greedy B——s

43. Lizardking89 says:

I wonder if Molson would still charge full price for tickets. I can’t see this working. Where are they going to get 700 replacement players without decimating the AHL and will those players really want to go against their future union?

44. punkster says:

What lock out?

Take us into the night Chick:

***Subbang Baby!!!***

45. Chuck says:

Replacement players? Yes, people would watch, if only out of curiosity (and what if your replacements got your worst-place team to first?) but how does a team then justify charging full-price to watch the games? Could you imagine paying top-dollar to sit in the lower reds to watch 700 guys who otherwise aren’t good enough to make the NHL? That would be like paying $200 to go to a Bulldogs game.

___________________________________________________

46. L Elle says:

How come I can’t post anything more than a couple of lines on HIO? Is somebody trying to tell me something? :) Mods?

47. 24moreCups says:

Listening to the Bulldog’s game online, trying to get my hockey fix. 1-0 Marlies in the 2nd.

I’m liking Steve Quailer, seems like a interesting prospect if he pans out.

48. Boomer says:

You know what I really like about the habs future? Gallagher=Captain. Tinordi=Captain. Bournival= Captain. Beaulieu=AC. A lot of character and talent in the pipes :)

I would be curious who the replacement players were? I wouldn’t see myself paying money to watch, but who am I lying to, if they televised a Habs game with replacements yah I would turn it on out of curiosity. If indeed worse than AHL hockey (which it probably would be) then I just settle in for a season with the Bulldogs.

Happy Thanksgiving Canucks, long weekend just about over. Very full sitting on the couch, tripping out on Tryptophan now.

50. Boomer says:

I don’t know if this has been posted but you can listen into the Bulldogs game here. 2nd period about to start still 0-0.

51. SarahMc33 says:

I don’t really understand the point of scabs, they should just televise more AHL games since that’s where they’re most likely going to pull the players from….

52. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’ll watch replacement leagues first – junior, AHL or KHL. I love my habs, but I have very little respect for the NHL. If it collapsed and were replaced by a smaller, higher level league (with the Habs in it) I would switch allegiances in a heartbeat.
    But I would not watch scabs
    in the sweater of the habs.
    I’d rather watch the KHL,
    And tell Bettman to go to hell.
    Oh well.

53. Chrisadiens says:

Honestly, yes I would watch replacement players. I’m hockey starved. I wouldn’t pay for center ice but I would watch locally televised games. I’m sure the product wouldn’t be on par with the NHL, but living in the States I’ll take what I can get. I won’t see junior hockey or AHL games here. I just want to watch the sport I love.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

54. The Dude says:

Last year we all watched a counterfeit Canadiens team pansey they’re way to the bottom and historic lows and I watched all of it!S o ya I’ll watch anything Habs,lol…

55. topher5468 says:

I might watch replacement players on TV, but I wouldn’t pay to go see a game live. Although, I wonder if NHL Center Ice would cost the same?.I guess Im paying if I purchase the Center Ice. Heck, I don’t really know what I would do in that regard.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

56. habaholic68NJ says:

No thank you. I would rather watch my 18 yr old kid play on the Princeton Tigers currently 5-0-1 in the 15 team Greater Northeastern Collegiate Hockey Conference, a league in Division II of the American Collegiate Hockey Association. My kid is currently in the top 10 in the league in goals, assists and points. A chip off the old habaholic block. Screw you NHL.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

57. showey47 says:

Sweet,one last shot at pro hockey,lol.

58. JoaquindaPark says:

In a heartbeat. Replacement players over Ovechkins AK Bar Shazzam any day. In 3 years you won’t be able to tell the difference anyway. Fact is most People are fans of the Jersey, not the rich greedy idiots holding out presumably because they got ripped off in the last agreement, which yielded 80% increase in salary cap and 152% increase in salary floor. Go Gary!

59. ABHabsfan says:

Replacement players???!!!
    Where do I sign up:
    AAA goalie in minor hockey in the Ottawa Valley
    Little bit of Jr B (discovered beer and chicks, bye bye hockey dreams)
    17 years of beer league, never let in more than 11 in one game
    bit of a wonky knee
    will play for beer ( not Molson)
    who am I kidding I’d play for free!!
    Gotta have #29, sorry that’s my deal breaker.
    Let me know Geoff, I’m ready!

PS Bill Watters is an idiot

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

60. AceMagnum says:

GO SCABS GO!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

61. English is not a Crime says:

That Bettman would even consider this shows just how stupid and incompetent he REALLY is. The games aren’t being cancelled because the players refuse to play, they’ve actually offered to play during the negotiations so games need not be cancelled over this nonsense. Why in the world would they choose to use lesser players and knowing;y put a lesser product out there when they have the option of putting the regulars out there for the best product they have available to them instead?

If the NHL wants to hold games (which is a load of bunk since they clearly don’t or they wouldn’t have enacted the lockout in the first place) and the players want to play those games while negotiating (which they clearly do since they offered to and a lot of them have headed overseas to play while the negotiations are going on) then simply play the damned games while negotiations are taking place.

Nope Bettman wants to play games and play with all his toys by himself, even if he doesn’t like or appreciate his toys in the first place. Get rid of this idiot and you solve all of your problems instantly.

• JoaquindaPark says:

Of course they want to play through the season. The players make money, have no financial risk, and the owners lose money. It is just not sustainable.

• twilighthours says:

Financial risk is just one type of risk. I don’t see you throwing your body in front of Chara slapper.

Or maybe ask a 4th liner on an expiring contract if he feels secure.

62. HNS says:

Leave it to Bettman that little evil dwarf to suggest something like that. F U Bettman.

63. slapshot777 says:

No, I would not watch replacement players and until Bettman and the four owners who are running the NHL ( Jacobs, Synder, Lenosis, and Edwards) Jacobs who is the CEO of the board of govenors was the guy who put Bettman back into power when he was at the end of his last contract. I guess we got to see how Jacobs got repaid for that gift.

No matter how many teams are in the NHL, these four and likely to lesser degrees owners like Leopold, Ilitch, and Karmanos always seem to have a major influence on to how the League should be run and these same people are the ones who consistently break the rules and find the loopholes whenever it suits them.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Nitroslices says:

Jacobs also got repaid by the NO suspension decision for Chara for the dirty hit on Max Pacioretty. Bettman shrugged the hit off as a hazard of the trade and the whole NHL was “extraordinarily” comfortable with the decision while winking at his friend and boss Mr. Jacobs.

64. joeybarrie says:

Can they simply use replacement players?
    I mean wouldnt the NHLPA still represent any NHL players?
    Wouldnt there need to be a CBA in order to have these players play?
    Whats the difference between the 700 or so players who are locked out and the ones the will replace them with other than the current contract salaries?
    Wouldnt it just be the same?
    If the cap would still exist couldnt the teams simply spend on replacement players to the Cap, and then they are in the exact same predicament???
    Does this make any sense to anyone else?
    If the problem is revenue sharing how is replacing the players going to change that?
    I thought the problem here is that the CBA is expired and they cant agree on a new one.
    Does each individual player make a difference if the CBA isnt signed?
    I mean by that logic, couldnt any particular team who wants to wint he Stanley Cup, Simply buy all the best players available for insane salaries. Someone who would normally make 500k could make 4 million because it fits under the cap and the New York Islanders want to buy a Cup.
    Is there even a Cap if there is no CBA???

When you lock out players, can you replace them?
    If the owners are signing 100 million dollar contracts, then bringing in replacement players then clearly SALARY is not the issue.

Although it is extremely difficult, Couldnt the current NHL players then simply start their own league?
    I pay to watch the current players, not minor leaguers who have an opportunity.
    As a NHL player, since I am not making any money at all this season, Couldnt i simply extend this league that Talbot started and give all proceeds to Charity.
    Couldnt I invite the networks to televise it, and then starting next season the players play for the Montreal Maroons, owned by some other millionaire, or the Chicago whomevers owned by someone else, and simply re start the WHA.
    I mean if 90% of the players join this new league, then wouldnt everyone watch them instead????

65. I watched a high school game last night and it was entertaining to see the few talented kids outskate, outshoot, out-maneuver the little guys that have 1/10th the talent. Standing right at the glass hearing the yells from parents and hoots from girlfriends as a couple of 5’5ers were laid out. That suited me fine.
    As for replacements… I’d tune into the KHL just to see how much more physical and disastrous the calls are than the NHL. No, I wouldn’t watch any attempt by Buttman at trying to break the union, what I’d like to see is a league organized by the locked out players, forming the newly revamped NHA and stick a big finger up the four crackers who wag Buttman’s tail and we’ll see how fast the other NHL owners stick together.
    If the AHL, CHL and WHL are all invaded by the NHL teams, I hope few will play since, whether we want to side with the rich 700 or not, they are the talent and that’s why we watch NHL hockey, not because George Laraque comes back to pound meat for $50k while the other professionals are locked out and what will it mean to hand out a Stanley Cup for that kind of hockey? Nothing. A big asterisk and the blemishing of the Stanley Cup finals forever. Let’s see if Buttman and the greedy owners go that far. It may be league suicide. At least it will be more interesting reading than hearing that the NHLPA and NHL are discussing the next time to hold a discussion about the next discussions. We’re better off keeping our money in our pockets.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• twilighthours says:

Here in NS high school hockey is 2nd tier for the age group, so it’s actually pretty good. And since I work in a high school, I watch of lot of this hockey. On most nights, I prefer my high school team to the habs. Especially last year!

66. Stormin says:

I am watching replacement players right now out my front window, playing a spirited game of Thanksgiving street hockey..

Isn’t Scott Gomer Pyle Gomez considered a replacement player

67. JohnBellyful says:

Would I watch NHL replacement players?
    Depends.
    What did you have you in mind?

68. commandant says:

Given that many AHLers won’t want to be blackballed by the NHLPA and want a shot in the NHL after the league comes back, replacement players will be a caliber below AHL hockey.

I’m not paying NHL prices to watch that, when I can pay AHL prices or CHL prices to watch hockey that is as good or better.

Heck even if the price was the same as the AHL or CHL, I’d just stick with those leagues instead of a league where the plug can be pulled at any moment if there is a deal with the real players.

I think Replacement refs in the NFL showed us what kind of debacle this would be.

69. HammerHab says:

Can the union deny a member? Can they tell someone if they are a replacement player they will not be allowed to join the NHLPA in the future?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

70. Ron says:

Depends on level of skill etc. Imported from where ?

71. Habfan10912 says:

Let me be the FIRST to say NO I will not watch replacement players.

———————————–

72. topher5468 says:

Gomez, It never gets old. Now that made me smile, Thanks

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

73. Habfan10912 says: