Woeful and unworthy of a champion

4940421

Depressing photo of victorious Tim Thomas and Zdeno Chara by Brian Snyder/Reuters

Say this for the Boston Bruins:
They’ve showed up and played hard for six games of the Stanley Cup final.
Vancouver on the other hand …

How many Cup winners have had their goaltender yanked twice (and counting) in the finals?

How many have been stomped three times on the road?

How many score eight goals in six games?

On the other hand, a Canadian team has never lost Game 7 at home in the finals.

Pierre Lebrun: Cup winner needs an asterisk

Scott Burnside: Is this the Luongo legacy?

Cam Cole on the no-show

Tough series takes toll on Canucks

Daniel Sedin predicts Game 7 win

Vancouver stars folding in the finals

1. B915 says:

2. The Cat says:

Man the bitterness/jealousy/whining is going to reach epic proportions should the bruins win game 7.

• Marc10 says:

Indeed. But then again, maybe the Nucks sneak this one out and we can all go home knowing the Bruins won’t likely make it back there for a good long while. Positive thoughts… Positive thoughts…

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• saskhabfan says:

Even worse,the whining about the whining from fringe/fairweather fans.

3. TheLogician says:

pk…i hope you’re reading this so that you can learn the proper way to (ahem) “respect” other players.

the only good thing about this guy is that you can cut off the front of a froot loops box and (voila!), you have his rookie card!

BOSTON — Brad Marchand kept punching and punching and punching.

And Daniel Sedin stood there and kept taking punch after punch after punch. Did Sedin wonder how many punches it would take for Marchand to get a penalty?

“Maybe after the fifth. But I took six. What can I do?” said Sedin, clearly agitated after being Marchand’s punching bag in the third period.

An emotional Sedin said something afterward to referee Kelly Sutherland.

“I asked him why he didn’t call the penalty. He said he was going to,” Sedin said.

Marchand just shrugged off the moment.

“It was just heat of the moment, that stuff happens,” the rookie said after Game 6.

Did Sedin say something to provoke Marchand?

“No, he didn’t say anything before. He was just right there. … He didn’t say anything, he was just kind of taking it,” the Bruins winger said.

Why did Marchand keep punching him then?

“Because I felt like it,” Marchand said.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Reffing is pretty abysmal, in football, speaking of the real deal, not american carry with hands but call it FOOTball none sense, a player will receive a penalty from a review after a game, so they think twice about getting away with bullshit, and there is an external ref that will point out anything the center guy might miss.

That seems like such a simple solution to discourage neanderthals.

• Duracell3 says:

I don’t think it’s a matter of missing something. No one in the building missed Sedin getting punched 6 times in the face and just standing there….although apparently everyone but the refs missed the part where he did something worthy of a 10 minute misconduct.

If the NHL wanted blatant and egregious penalties called, they would be.

• hdcase says:

Four Canucks seemed to have missed it. Sedin did the right thing (to a point) but four other Canucks stood by and watched it happen. Completely gutless team. The Canucks will slash you behind the play or after the play is over, bite you in the corner, but when confronted, they fold up like deck chairs.

hdcase

• Man Dingga says:

Um I seem to remember a play on Patch’s by Chara and not one Hab player confronting him. If we are going to pick on the Nucks for having no balls against them we sure as hell can’t say a whole lot either.

4. Chorske says:

Don’t let the door hit yer arse on the way out, hillbilly. Bon debarras.

5. Toe Blake says:

‘nucks are doomed. If AV had the nuts God gave Phil Kessel, he’d go with Schneider tomorrow night. Luongo will be done by the 10:00 mark of the first period.

6. MD says:

You know what, guys…
    Gomez got blasted here for last season but he would NEVER allow getting punched in the head like the twin…

I miss Canadiens :(

• LA Loyalist says:

…he would have taken a dumb retaliation penalty and not taken the other guy with him.

My most favorite retaliation is Kovalev on Darcy Tucker. It was ART of a high order. YouTube it, I swear to you it’s brilliant.

I only wish Kovy would have worked out better for us.

• EricInStL says:

Oh hell yes, that was a thing of beauty. He nailed him right in the kisser. All legit which is even more sweet.

It’s too bad Tucker didn’t work out as he was a hell of a leader in Kamloops.

• LA Loyalist says:

Yep. It’s painful to look back sometimes at how certain guys didn’t work out. The list is painful, Kovy, Tucker… I was so excited when I first saw Shayne Corson… … hockey really plays out like Greek tragedy sometimes, as one of the other posters was referring to earlier. I guess that’s why we like it.

I hope tomorrow night is clean and the goals are clean.

I don’t really have a dog in the fight. I don’t like Vancouver and I sure hate Boston. Living here in LA I’m maybe more sensitized to how hockey looks to Americans (aside from the hard core fans). I see dozens of young families at the rink every weekend, and every time there’s a shameful display like Chara or the hit on Raymond, man, I just freaking cringe.

Go Habs!

• JohnBellyful says:

Has any of the crazy stuff in the NHL filtered down yet to the young kids your way, and they’ve started aping the ape and his ilk? A lot of fine role models on these two teams.
            It might be best in the future if they limited viewership of the NHL to 18 years and older. Wouldn’t want to influence impressionable young minds with acts of violence that go unpunished.

• habstrinifan says:

Tucker worked out! It was a bad move to get rid of him. Just like Claude Lemieux worked out and they got rid of him.

• issie74 says:

I’m with you MD … Gomez would Never take that and it is never a stupid penalty to defend yourself.

Anyone here who thinks the referee’s are going to bite the hand that feeds them are kidding themselves.

The too small to soft Habs would fight back.
      In my book that’s grit.

NorthTOHab

7. slychard says:

In other words NHL directive was and is to have the bruins win the cup this year. Garbage.

Playboy founder Hugh Hefner said on Tuesday his wedding this weekend has been canceled because his 25-year-old fiance, a Playmate from his magazine, changed her mind.

I guess that just lowered my chances of ever snagging Catherine Zeta-Jones.

9. Toe Blake says:

As distasteful as it might me to see the Bruins win the Stanley Cup, I take heart in that it means that the Habs are really not that far away from another of their own.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Duno, I dont want the dufuses at RDS to start claming we need to sacrifice the farm, house and earth every time we beat boston so that we can make a push for the playoffs.

Im happy of having a team that plays with heart. Has charisma, drives young kids to want to play hockey…

• Toe Blake says:

Had they been healthy and been able to manufacture just one OT goal against the Bruins, we could be looking forward to watching them tomorrow night. Maybe not, they would have already wrapped it up!

• hdcase says:

I’ve been thinking the same thing. If Roman Hamrlik doesn’t try to embellish that stick to the face, Kelly doesn’t score and the Canadians win the seventh game and the series. The Finals would have turned into a diving competition though.

hdcase

10. habstrinifan says:

What a lousy day! I am fed-up of hockey!

Fed up of the bush league officiating.

Fed up of the incredibly one-sidedness of punishment. It may just be coincidental but how come Rome is sitting for 4 and Boy??chuk goes scot-free. How come Sedin gets a penalty and Marchand doesnt.

Fed up of the name-calling between the teams and the “oh i am so innocent” when they are called on it.

Fed up of the ‘hard to like’ Luongo and the ‘hard to stomach’ Thomas.

Fed up the Sedins making me feel racist because right now I would cuss a blue streak if PG were to pass up a Canadian born and bred for a Sedin import.

Fed up of the haughtiness of Julien and the blandness of Vigneault.

Fed up of thinking that PG wont make the dramatic decisions so we can kick Bruins arse from DAY 1

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Patience, we have at least 2 uncontested star players on our team, we haven’t been able to say that for a LONG time. Im happy, and I can wait for a cup, one won by champions with heart.

Most people here would still love the habs if they played like the bruins, I wouldn’t. How you win is just as important as winning.

• LA Loyalist says:

I think that’s unfair. Most of us agree with you that we want to win with class and skill – and toughness as necessary. Sure there are some yahoos that might welcome some Boston style, but I’m sure they are a minority.

I’m teaching my kid to play clean, elbows in, use his hips and shoulders to get body position (they’re not allowed to hit) — and especially to protect the small players (he’s big for his age). He popped an even bigger kid with his shoulder and got a penalty but he was playing the puck and I told him he made the right choice.

Yeah it’s a nuanced thing, and it needs to be taught from the ground up. I can’t imagine deliberately hitting a guy’s head like Chara on Pax. Where the * does that come from?

This place is turning into hockeygritsizeout.com

:-D

12. Habby says:

I’ll jump into this fray and say that I hope Mason Raymond has a speedy recovery. I posted a little while back that the worst thing that could happen this week is that Boston wins game 6 and then wins game 7 in a controversial way, for example seriously injuring a Vancouver player or by a goal that should have been disallowed. I spoke a bit too soon it seems because they’ve already seriously injured a Vancouver player.

The feelings I have on the nonsuspension are exactly those that I had after MaxPac’s injury. I just hope Raymond does not become paralyzed or something. It was unfortunate that the trainers did not realize he had injured his vertebra. The Vancouver staff need retraining.

And I just wanted to ask something of everyone who is saying “Boston is deserving” and others cheering on Boston for the Cup:

Would you still be cheering on Boston if, on March 8, Max Pacioretty had died?
    Would you be advocating the addition of a Max Pacioretty Memorial Trophy?

I’m finding it hard to believe you love the Habs if you are cheering on this year’s edition of the Bruins. Had Zdeno Chara received the same punishment as Maurice Richard the Bruins would not be in the Stanely Cup Final.

Please, do respond. I’d love to hear what you have to say.
    ___________________
    The drive for 25 is alive!

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Very nice post, and i fully agree, but what seems characteristic of todays day and age, 2 seconds attention span, 0 patience, only asking What, never understanding the WHY… etc

And last but not least a bunch of bruins fans posting on our website…

• Habby says:

Thank you!

It seems these attention problems also exist in the NHL. They forget they’ve set examples with supplemental discipline in the past while dealing with current infractions. I’m surprised with the all these people with legal backgrounds running the show it’s come to this. Guess there are only a bunch of lousy lawyers with no judges.

And these Bruins fans seriously need to find something better to do. :/
        ___________________
        The drive for 25 is alive!

• LA Loyalist says:

Thumbs up, Sir. Our prayers are with Raymond, and Horton, too, for that matter. The blame rests firmly on Buttman for not creating and enforcing a clear, fair and consistent policy that deliberate head shots and blindside hits will not be tolerated.

Yes there will be collisions, some of them will be bad. Hockey is a fast and chaotic game, that’s why it’s exciting. We should be playing on Olympic ice, but that cow left the barn 20 years ago and she ain’t coming back, unfortunately.

There had better be some clear direction coming from Shanahan for the new season, and some re-training of the refs, or next year is going to be more of the same. And someone is going to get paralyzed or killed and then we’ll create a rule.

Thanks Gary. You’re an ********* (insert favorite insult here)

• JayBee says:

Well put. I will never cheer for the Bruins. The Canucks make me sick but no way in hell will I cheer for the Bruins…especially after all the crap they’ve gotten away with this year.

Funny how Nathan Horton with his severe concussion made the trip to Vancouver.

What bothers me more is no media people are speaking out about this…they sort of agreed with Recchi when he called Max out on not having a severe concussion… I get the feeling the media just hates the Habs cuz it’s rare that you see anyone outside of Montreal say anything positive about em….I mean, look at the PK Subban situation and all the media coming down on him… So PK gets vilified for chirping but Marchand is allowed to show up opponents, take cheap shots (supsendable), punch an elite vet in the face multiple times…and it somehow flies under the radar.

• issie74 says:

Great post Habulous

According to this page all the habs need is size an grit size and grit.

Tempered with a few Goons.

NorthTOHab

• BruinsFan50 says:

Yes, and yes.

13. JohnBellyful says:

Checking in: No. 2

14. gerrybell says:

The habs better not do anything too big this off-season as they will have to pay carey price 6 million a season next year and prob subban 3+ -unless an RFA offer comes in from another team on these players which could mean more.

• naweed235 says:

sorry but Price is not worth 6M unless he has a better season than he just did which is doubt ful

• gerrybell says:

is scott gomez worth 7.5 million? is any player on any team worth what they are paid? hardly. price was the only reason the habs won games on many nights and for that he is in for a big raise. you better stop dreaming that montreal can resign him for much less than 6 million. if you were a gm would you offer price 6 million as an RFA? you bet you would. nothing like having a great goalie locked up for a number of years while he is still young and producing. i hope Van wins tonight because luongo is a canuck for the next 100 years at a huge salary – just as his skills are being called into question.

g
        b

15. Mr_MacDougall says:

I read people wanting to Laich.. I wouldn’t want to pay such a high price, likely $4 mill or above for him.. he is similar to Ryan Malone in size, stats, and playoff success.. and they both became UFA in years where UFA talent is low… Malone got 5.5 long term… yikes!

And a “Lucic type” in the words of the NFL Countdown crew C’MON MAN!!!!!!! Lucic has had countless EPIC giveaways in every series, makes bad decisions, and has not made any impressive plays.. he is OVER RATED!

We need to wait for some bigger draftees to develop into those roles for much less $$ and spend the big $$ on talent.

16. JohnBellyful says:

It’s fitting this fiasco will be known as the Homer series. The idiocy on both sides rivals the lunacy on the animated sitcom; unfortunately, without the laughs.
    Can Luongo salvage his reputation tomorrow night or will he once again portray another famous Homer character from a different time who had a fatal flaw: Achilles. (It’s always the feet; Luongo, they say, loses the puck in his feet. He’s not so hot with high shots either.)

• Bill says:

Achilles had a fatal flaw, but the Greeks still won the war, torched their city, killed all the men, and did unspeakable things to the women. So maybe the Canucks can win despite Luongo’s flaw …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• JohnBellyful says:

Boy, and people complain when Montrealers do a little bit of rioting. We’re so much more civilized now. Still, I can see Vancouverites doing tomorrow night what the Greeks did — win or lose

• LA Loyalist says:

Um, yes, but not exactly a fair fight. The Greeks had help from the Gods. I always felt Hector was more admirable than Achilles.

And then there is Gary Bettman playing Agamemnon :)

• JohnBellyful says:

One thing’s for sure, Vancouver being the NHL’s best team this season has turned out to be a myth. The Sedins might want to summon the spirit of Odin, the Bruins making them Thor has done nothing for the team. If they don’t win, it’s going to be one Valhalla summer for the Canucks (just not the one they imagined).

• LA Loyalist says:

What do you think could happen if the Beans walk all over them in game 7?

Sedins are certainly valuable – if you only care about the regular season, like San Jose. Luongo would be un-moveable, even more so than Gomez.

I don’t know their cap situation, but you’re right, it could be a very, very long summer.

My biggest grievance is how lousy the hockey is for young American kids to watch – the ones we are trying to bring to the game young.

Barf.