Wiz returns, Martin tweaks lines

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin (barely audible) | Jeff Halpern | P.K. Subban

Defenceman James Wisniewski returned to practice today after missing two games with the flu. He’s expected to face the Bruins tomorrow night in Boston.

Jacques Martin, who juggled his lines for the last two periods Sunday against the Devils, returned to a more familiar lineup. There are some changes on the bottom two lines. Jeff Halpern is between Benoit Pouliot and Travis Moen in what shapes up a checking line. David Desharnais is between Tom Pyatt and Mathieu Darche on a line which didn’t see much ice time against Jersey and probably won’t see much more action in Boston.

The top line has Max Pacioretty, Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta while Scott Gomez is with Andrei Kostitsyn and Lars Eller.
Michael Cammalleri is still out with a separated shoulder. He didn’t skate with the team and will not accompany the team to Boston.

Defence pairings are Hal Gill-P.K. Subban, Roman Hamrlik-Wiz and Jaro Spacek-Yannick Weber, with Alexandre Picard as extra Dman.

The Bruins had a casualty at practice this morning. A shot hit Patrice Bergeron in the chin and he was taken to hospital for stitches.

1. oshawahabsfan says:

Thanks, let’s pass the word on to Martin now!

2. solomio says:

Hey Oshawa…that line up looks real real good.
    I’d like to see that.

3. Bill says:

I really think the forwards we need are already in the system. As someone posted earlier, Pouliot is first in the NHL in points scored in games where the player plays less than 14 minutes. He’s big and mobile and he’s got a great shot. Just about all of his goals are pure goal-scorer’s goals.

Then there’s AK46. Constantly demoted and bounced around. Playing 15:00 minutes and change, yet third on the team in goals, second in +/- at +11 (behind only Pleks), and laying out lots of hits. Big. Fast. Talented.

With more ice-time these already productive players would obviously be more productive. And they cost nothing in a trade. All that has to happen is for Jacques to resist the urge – somehow – to switch Moen for Kostitsyn or Pyatt for Pouliot.

Full Breezer 4 Life

4. 24moreCups says:

Good video!

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Thanks for reading!

Part 2 will be up tommorow likely.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

6. shiram says:

Thank you very much for writting this, it not only refreshes some of the moves made, but brings a different view on them as well.

Be sure to post the next part, and I’ll make sure to read them!

7. rob_c says:

I wouldn’t trade all 3 of them.. just tossing names around. As for the other 5 it wont be as hard as you think. the 5.5 coming off the books from Hammer helps a lot.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

I am getting to the point where I feel bad for the TSN guys on Deadline day as they try and make something out of nothing “Well yes he’s only got 1 goal and 2 assists this season but he’s going to ber a key player for this team in the stretch run and the 7th-round pick the other team got for him is going to be HUGE on draft day.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. oshawahabsfan says:

Totally agree with the 1A, B and 2A, B labelling, I mentioned I didn’t see the fourth line as a demotion for anyone the team needs balance in the lines and the ability to roll four on a nightly basis. Not rolling four lines was our downfall last year, players were burned out by the time the third round came around. The PHD line was pretty effective before so it’s worth another go. If only Martin read Habs Inside/Out haha…

10. HabFanSince72 says:

You can also try stubhub.com

11. oshawahabsfan says:

Here’s a crazy thought; with Pacioretty seemingly ready for a full-time top six gig, why not reuinte the “big little three” upon Cammalleri’s return? I feel that those three would produce together. Pacioretty seems comfortable with Plekanec, Plekanec makes anyone he plays with better. Put AK with Pleks and Patches as AK seems to only be able to play well when with Pleks.

Benny can stay where he’s comfortable and producing this season, on the third line along with Eller and DD (two centres is always good if one gets booted from the draw. also Eller would likely work out better on the wing than DD)  As much as I like Darche, and his mentoring ways with the younger players, he is better suited for the fourth line in my opinion. That’s not to say it’s a demotion, more to seek balance amongst the four lines so that they all have a chance to contribute at both ends of the rink, as well as to not over-use players in games. Halpern was brought in for PK duty and to be a strong, reliable fourth line centre. Moen is a perfect winger for that line.

So upon Cammalleri’s return, why not give these a go:

Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta/ Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kostitsyn/ Pouliot-Desharnais-Eller/ Darche-Halpern-Moen/

I’d like to see different configurations for the PP to play to the strengths of the forwards and to open up other shots when the pointmen are being rushed. For example play Cammalleri on the right side on the PP with Plekanec at centre, Pacioretty on the left. Opens up Cammalleri for a one-timer if PK and the Wiz get tight coverage. Pacioretty can crowd the crease, and hopefully not get hit with any more slapshots. Second unit Gomez centres with Gionta on the left side, Kostitsyn or Eller on the right, again opening up good shooting opportunities for the forwards for one-timers from the off wing, or to drive the net.

Apologies for the long post, have at er’

12. Klondike Habs Fan says:

Hello Good People,

So, looks like I will be in VAncouver for the game on the 22nd. I need to find tickets. I have found some on EBAY but need three together, as my wife is a big fan too and we have a kid in tow.

Any leads, hints tips or wonderful benefactors out there who can help?

I am so pumped.

13. Klondike Habs Fan says:

My photo is from the last game I got too, in LA, bumped into George Gillet after the game and he chatted me up a bit – he was really interested to hear I was from the Yukon. Maybe I will bump into a Molson or two at this one. (Well I know I will for sure find a few Molsons)

14. Maksimir says:

I like that line up you got. Hey JM – pay attention.

I’d also like to see Desharnais and Max Pac reunited when on the PP. THe way it has been working lately – it couldn’t hurt to try it.

15. jimmy shaker says:

I don’t mind that thought process of  Cammy/Gomer/Gio… Patch/Pleks/AK46…..here I would change the bottom lines and go with Darche/Halpern/Pouliot and then Moen/DD/Eller.  I don’t see a number on any of the lines, I think Pleks and gomer’s lines are 1A and 1B then the bottom 2 lines would be 2A and 2B.  Roll all the lines, because all these lines are strong and responsible and can handle being out there in any situation.  I like to see it this way, but I know JM wouldn’t do something that makes too much sense.  But I still would like Darche out there on the PP because he and Patch are the only guys willing to stand in front of the tenders.