Wisniewski’s rights traded to Blue Jackets

Wisniewski

Canadiens fans hoping to see James Wisniewski stay with the club will be unhappy to learn that his rights have been traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

In return, the Canadiens get a seventh-round pick in 2012 and future considerations, the club announced in a release on Wednesday. Those future considerations means the pick becomes a fifth rounder if the defenceman signs with the Blue Jackets, Pat Hickey reports.

1. tippytoes says:

This team is goi g nowhere…trade a second rounder for Wiz…then trade him for a seventh which is nothing (insulting our intelligence more than anything)
    Erhoff who is much less desirable, is traded for a fourth. What this this tell you about the capabilities of this manager Gauthier? He’s a clown. Who ever gave him this position is one too..

I really hope the Molson’s take action soon.

“lower your expectations, and you will never be disapointed.”

• ZepFan2 says:

If Erhoff is less desirable, doesn’t that make Snow the clown for giving up a 4th rounder?

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Mark C says:

Ehrhoff is much more desirable than Wiz. Ehrhoff 3 seasons of double digit goals and 40 or more points, Wiz one. Ehrhoff 5 seasons in a row of 77 or more games, Wiz one season over 70.

I don’t want to sound condescending, but you kids don’t how lucky you are to have the Internet today. Back in the 80’s I knew nothing about draft picks. Oh I heard about Wickenheiser and knew the Habs drafted well in the 70’s but I was not that well informed. Hockey for the most part was on the ice. There were no farm teams, there were no prospects. There was the NHL and that was it. Even the Canada Cup was for the most part, NHLers.

I mean that in terms of perception.

So be grateful that you can come online and share your points of view with others and can at the same time learn from all the comments and links to articles found here. I know I certainly do. It just puts the youngest amongst us ahead of the curve.

————————————————————-

Which brings me to my next point. I’ve read a lot about offer sheets and the suggestion that the Habs make one for Stamkos. If done it would probably be the most expensive one to date. And a funny thing happened to me on my way to trying to find out what the highest offer sheet to date has been.

————————————————————

I’ve made the case for tanking and two stellar examples of teams that didn’t tank were always the Devils and the Red Wings. However I’ve pointed out that the Devils were an expansion team to start off with so they benefited from many top picks. I know they didn’t pick Scott Stevens and could never figure out how he became a Devil.

————————————————————

Offer sheets.

In 1990 St. Louis GM Ron Caron made Washington’s Scott Stevens a four-year, $5.1-million contract offer. An arbiter awarded the Capitals five first round draft picks. A year later he went after New Jersey’s Brendan Shanahan. The teams went to arbitration, with the Blues offering Curtis Joseph, Rod Brind’Amour and two draft picks as compensation. But the arbiter leaned Jersey’s way and awarded the Devils Scott Stevens, meaning the total cost to St. Louis for signing Brendan Shanahan was five first round picks and Scott Stevens.

————————————————————

That’s my feel good post of the day.

source: http://bit.ly/lj6TW5

• ZepFan2 says:

Well I’m no kid and I distinctly remember the Habs having a farm team.

They were called: The Montreal Junior Canadiens.

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• GrimJim says:

My Dad claimed he played for the Jr Canadiens for a season or two prior to WWII. And by the time I was old enough to realize that tales told at the wet bar in my Uncle Terry’s basement should not be accepted as gospel and I decided that I wanted to know more, Dad had passed. I’ve never seen any photos or such but then the oldest family photo of my Dad was taken in 1941. Anyone have any ideas about where I might find info? Hockeydb doesn’t go back past 1960 for the QJHL.

• OneTimer says:

Heh heh, cool story, I hope for you it’s true.

• GrimJim says:

Thanks, I hope so too. I think it was. I remember being about ten and going skating with Dad and he was a fast and very fluid skater. The only other guy I have been on the ice with who could skate like that was a guy who played Major Jr and supposedly a little over in Europe.

• HardHabits says:

I said it was a matter of perception. To me back then they didn’t exist, but because I didn’t know about them. Heck most fans today don’t even know about Hamilton.

• ZepFan2 says:

You didn’t collect hockey cards?

I had a Dryden rookie card I put in my spokes to make the motor sound. I still cry.

Maybe I was privileged by living 15mins from the Forum. I got to see a lot of Junior games, as well as Habs games.

———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• shootdapuck says:

And the Peterborough Petes and the Hull Ottawa Canadiens and the St Boniface Canadiens of the Manitoba Junior League and the “Ottawa-Hull District Junior Hockey League”!

Not to forget the Houston Apollos, Cleveland Barons and Oklahoma City Oilers of the CPHL.

Just to mention a few!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• Tony McLean says:

And the Nova Scotia Voyageurs and… I remember all the brilliant things Selke and Pollack used to do and I’m no nerd either.

Chara should never mess with our players again. Take him down.

• deuce6 says:

“I know they didn’t pick Scott Stevens and could never figure out how he became a Devil.”

He was traded for Brendan Shanahan..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

3. Chorske says:

Exactly.

4. ManApart says:

Don’t know about you guys, but it seems to me like PG is really trying to get some Cap space together for something fairly big. You take into considerations the Gomez rumours also, and PG might (maybe it’s just wishful thinking) be up to something.

• Ian Cobb says:

Good point. But who would ever pick up Gomez’s contract.

• HardHabits says:

Haha. I was thinking the same thing. If Timo comes on board for this hunch it’ll be like a new era has dawned.

The most likely scenario is nothing will happen.

• TomNickle says:

Parise is a possibility. I’ve mentioned Elias too. Devils need to either trade Parise or trade a big salary to make room for him.

Nobody will take Rolston(I don’t think), and even though Lou loves Elias, he could easily be on the block.

• ManApart says:

Parise would be an awesome pick-up. As good as anybody out there.

• TomNickle says:

The best part about Parise is that he can probably be had. New Jersey needs to get back a lot of what they gave up for Kovalchuk, pre-signing and post-signing.

I know you don’t like our prospects and I’m not looking to debate their merits with you but I’m inclined to think that a package like this could come damn close to getting it done…..

2012 or 2013 First round pick
          2012 or 2013 Second round pick
          Danny Kristo
          Greg Pateryn or Mac Bennett
          Andrei Kostitsyn

• Talik Sanis says:

As long as it is a deal involving wise resource management, a frank assessment of our needs, acknowledgment of our team’s strengths and faults while taking the opportunity to make a deal while in an advantageous position over another team that is in a position of weakness and it gets rid of Gomez, I’m on board.

HH is likely right, though. I doubt anything big will happen.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

What’s appealing to teams on a budget are players who’s cap hits are greater than their actual salaries (Scott Gomez: $22 M cap hit/3 years at a cost of $17.5 M). The last thing a “budget team” wants is to pay a guy more dollars that they can count against the cap.
      What high priced NHL players earn more money than their cap hits and which of them play for teams reaching for the salary floor?
      I can think of one guy with a $10 million salary and a $7.5 million dollar cap hit, but I’m not certain his team plans only to spend to the salary floor. :)!

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

I just picked this up from a link, not sure of the validity,

Brian Gionta ($5,000,000) Scott Gomez ($7,357,143) Max Pacioretty ($1,625,000)

Mike Cammalleri ($6,000,000) Tomas Plekanec ($5,000,000) Ville Leino ($3,000,000)

Andrei Kostitsyn ($3,250,000) David Desharnais ($850,000) Mathieu Darche ($700,000)

Ryan White ($850,000) Zenon Konopka ($1,500,000) Travis Moen ($1,500,000)
    Lars Eller ($1,270,833)

DEFENSEMEN (7)
    Andrei Markov ($5,750,000) P.K. Subban ($875,000)
    Hal Gill ($2,250,000) Josh Gorges ($3,500,000)
    Jaroslav Spacek ($3,833,333) Alexei Yemelin ($984,200)
    Yannick Weber ($1,250,000)

GOALTENDERS (2)
    Carey Price ($2,750,000)
    Alex Auld ($1,000,000)

• HardHabits says:

Glad to see you on the Konopka band wagon. I thought he signed with the Isles. Is he still available?

I don’t mind Leino either.

I still would like see another physical D man, even if it’s on the 8th spot.

That team would be better. Closer? I am not convinced. It would be worth the experiment though.

• Tony McLean says:

Gorges isn’t worth half that. He gets too much ink just because he’s such a nice guy and press-friendly. And NHLPA.

Chara should never mess with our players again. Take him down.

6. Neutral says:

good move by PG not to give Wiz a bag full of money. should have done the same with markov hope he stays healthy.

Only one more day Gauthier. ! Get them signed or its back to the free agent grab.

8. Ozmodiar says:

PG, sign Cam Barker!! Do it!

Former top 5 pick. Can’t go wrong with that, right?

…right?

9. habs001 says:

hopefully i will be suprised but i have a feeling the addittions to this team from now on will be basically the same type of players as last year…gauthier will adv we added markov , gorges , yemelin

10. longbow says:

Weber 2yrs 1.7m total

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

11. emann_222 says:

Confirmed – Weber signs 2 year deal … I believe worth 1.7M

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

12. mike3131 says:

So we’ll hold on to Gill, Hamrlik AND Spacek and let the 27 year-old in his prime walk. So we’ll resign Desharnais, bumping AK to the 1st line with Plekanec and Cammy. And don’t count on Gomez going anywhere. I’m feeling like Timo now. Lost all my optimism. Looks like we’re not gonna win a cup for another 18 years. Explains why PG and JM haven’t won any Cups in all the years they’ve been involved in the NHL.

13. NDGhabsfan says:

NOOOOOO! We lose Souray we plug the hole with Streit. We lose Streit and plug the hole with MAB. MAB leaves and we find Wiz. Now I’m not saying that all these players are comparable nor am I saying that the HABS were always wrong to lose all of these dudes. All I’m saying is clearly they each addressed a need, the same need incidentally, and time and time again we let them walk. I believe WIZ to be the best of the bunch, he has a hell of an upside and even has a mean streak that makes him very tough to compete against. He would have given us a hometown discount and our ridiculously deep D would be that much more terrifying. We got a bag of pucks in return for next years defensemen scoring leader. BAD MOVE.

From failing hands…

• krob1000 says:

you know…. maybe you are onto something…maybe Habs management just like plugging holes? Nature is the most powerful of all forces….

• Chorske says:

What in the world makes you think he was going to give us a hometown discount? Why would he do that? What nonsense.

Great move, should have been done before the draft so we could get a second round pick this year.

• NDGhabsfan says:

put a tampon in it sister, it was ONE of a bunch of points I was making. I appologise for not placating you with some sort of “in my opinion”-esque preamble. My assumption, and it is only an assumption or a bit of conjecture, was based on interviews where Wiz had mentioned a bunch of times how he and his wife wanted to settle here and he believed that the Habs were very close to being a powerhouse. I figured that these sentiments coupled with the fact that Wiz has never been anywhere as close to relevant or productive on any team as he was on the Habs would provide us with a contract that was beneficial for everyone. But I suppose we’ll never know. Also you’re a dork

From failing hands…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

A sad litany, and that’s without mentioning Chelios…

But I wonder if posters of my vintage (and earlier) are feeling more confident in the moves by present management than in those by post-’79 and, more particularly, post-’93?

As someone (Canadien errant?) posted quite testily yesterday, we know NOTHING compared to management — no details, no scouting, no inside info, etc. I’m very sorry to lose Wiz, but guys, the writing’s been on the wall for weeks, in luminous paint since Markov signed.

Are we not just one decent scorer — who stays healthy — away from being a number of notches more competitive than the past two years (semifinals and knocked out in 7 by eventual champs)? One decent scorer and a few players hitting form after bad seasons.

Cheers

• Un Canadien errant says:

Testily? No no no. I was quite composed and cheerful, like always.

I think you’re referring to my rants on Benoit Pouliot. I do think that the team has way more info than we do about his state of mind or popularity with his teammates, or the condition of Andrei’s knee. I will trust their decisions by default. This isn’t Houle trading away Patrick Roy so he can hang on to Mario Tremblay, an obviously catastrophic decision we are powerless to stop.

I did also mention that I wish the sports press would tell us the straight goods, ie: “Benoit is lazy in practice and in the gym, and his teammates know it”, or straight up statements like that instead of sugarcoating it with words like underperforming or timid.

Journalists get access to the team, but then clam up and don’t tell us what they find, effectively negating the benefits of that access.

I do wish Benoit well. Too bad we couldn’t harness that potential.

———————————
        Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

• Dunboyne Mike says:

My apologies! Testily was the wrong word — please feel consolation in the fact I associated the quality of the statement with your tag! If not actually testy, perhaps it had an emphatic look to it because it was something long, long overdue to be said.

Poor old Pouliot — either an unfortunate waste of natural gifts, or else just a guy in the wrong situation who will benefit somewhere from someone else’s expert and concentrated efforts to unlock and maximise his talent.

As for sports journalists: don’t they walk a tightrope between the maintenance of useful relationships — whereby gaining knowledge which they judiciously share with the rest of us — and getting frozen out when they aren’t judicious enough!

But I totally agree with how frustrating it can be. Eg, HNIC, intermission, EF: “You’re disappointed with how things are after two periods. What do you guys have to do in the third?” “Score more than they do.” “Thanks.”

Btw, thought you were on a great roll with your thoughts for the few days around the time of your Pouliot remark. Keep it coming!

Cheers

• Tony McLean says:

No mean streak, he never did anything ruff with us. Ever. That was a complete myth.

Chara should never mess with our players again. Take him down.

Why does everybody think Yemelin will be any good?

• tobbs says:

Because you dont :-)

• Ian Cobb says:

Cause our scouts drafted him my friend.

• longbow says:

His Size,nastiness,designed to play the NHL game.Getting off that big Euro-Ice and playing on NHL ice is to his advantage.I would suggest that playing 5 years in Russia is worth 3 in the AHL.He`ll be fine.

• shiram says:

While the reasons posted before are all valid, and worthy, I’ll just add that it’s annoying to be negative about anything Habs related.

• Chris says:

i) He comes pretty highly touted by a variety of scouts.
      ii) While the KHL is not anywhere close the NHL, it IS better than junior hockey. Yemelin has been honing his craft there for many years and the adjustment shouldn’t be as big as it would be if he was a 18-21 year old. He’s played against some very good players, and played well.
      iii) He plays with a bit of an edge, one that supposedly translates better to North American hockey than it does to European hockey.
      iv) I live optimistically.

• Kythehabsfan says:

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking that he is the rugged dman we have been looking for. Plus, his offence seemed to increase quite a bit last year.

… but really, nobody knows how this will translate in the NHL but I too am hoping he can jump right into the T6.

• Tony McLean says:

I don’t. He’s nothing ’til he proves himself in the NHL.

Chara should never mess with our players again. Take him down.

15. New says:

I would rather have Hammer than the Wiz. But hockey is a funny business. Look at Pouliot not being qualified with 4 game winning goals, a +2 rating, and scoring 25% more points per minute of ice time than Gomez with his 2 game winning goals.

Anyway if it turns out that Hamrlik and Pouliot decide to re-sign and the Habs get a fifth for the Wiz then I’d say they did well.

• HabitantQuebec says:

I totally agree on Puoliot – the kid got skills! Hé could play 1st or 2nd like if Martin would simply cut the kid some slack. Show him confidence instead of benching him when hé screws up – its old fashioned and not encouraging for a kid. In relation to Wiz, yes hé is great but so is Keith, Doughty, and the other guys but we cant sign them and sign forwards too! Stamkos would be a dream, but its hard to see how TB Will let a potential super star walk.

• habstrinifan says:

I have a funny feeling that you may be right re Pouliot. He needs to play ina predominantly offensive system until he round out his game. I am quite worried that we may be making a mistake here.

• bwoar says:

Pouliot is terrible, always will be.

• Tony McLean says:

With decent coaching and a hot centre he’d really deliver, most likely 30 goals/year. Great wrist shot and very quick release. Excellent hands. And he beat up Redden and KO’d Krejci which is more than most of the Smurfs did. I mean did you see anyone even speak any cross words to Chara after he gooned Pacioretty? Disgusting. Think Fergy or Nilan would have let that go unanswered? Shameful.

Chara should never mess with our players again. Take him down.

16. habs001 says:

the key now will be that both pk and markov stay healthy…a lot of posters forget how bad our pp was when we had only one really good player to play on the point…even with markov and pk we need another player with skills to play the point and right now there is no one from last years team that showed they can do it.

17. davelecave says:

Apparently Weber just signed for 2 years.

18. nick says:

Weber resigned for 2 years. No financial details made available.

Well with Wizniewski and the Hammer now gone, here is what our D will look like this year.

Markov & Subban
    Gorges & Gill
    Spacek & Weber & Yemelin

20. arcosenate says:

His toughness didn’t hurt either. PG and Jacques aren’t real big fans of the fisticuffs and sticking up for your team mates. I guess they figure Montreal’s finest will do that. Hate the thought of going into another season without the proper means of taking care of some of the larger types in Boston and Philly.

What the hell do I know, I eat red meat.

21. thehabsfan29 says:

Match. I dont think anyone would take the picks.

22. krob1000 says:

Since we are going after Stamkos why not instead go after Malkin or better yet wait two years when Sid is a UFA….butter up Troy for a few eyars…tell him we’ll make him an honourary Hab have a great big ceremony (we need some more celebrations don’t we?…I think Gainey celebrated every uncelebrated event from the last century)and retire jersey number #240 to commemorate his draft spot. We’ll sign Sid to 18 years at 120 million for a cap hit of 6.66666 million per life and pay for a huge celebratory dinner for Sid, Troy, Charles Wang for the idea and Satan to ensure a few cups. To hell with Stamkos let’s start the movement now Crosby in 13!!!!Crosby in 13!!!

Let’s play Habs GM™

PK and Price get offer sheeted above the 7 million mark. What do you do if you are GM?

1) Match the offers
    2) Take the picks

You all know my answer.

• krob1000 says:

depends…did the Red Wings make the offer or the Islanders? 4 30th overall picks is not the same as 4 top 5ers

• ZepFan2 says:

Take the picks.

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• tobbs says:

Make Hammer a better offer?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If you think that think PK will be worth by $7 million by 2016 anyway, you match it. He’ll be over paid by about 100% for the first for years, but first round picks are going for Troy Brouwers these days.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• Ian Cobb says:

Seven Million for the two maybe!

• Talik Sanis says:

I love Subban. He is one of the most dynamic, enthusiastic and likeable players I’ve seen on our team.

But I take the picks and run. I do it without hesitation or question if the offer sheet is in the four first round picks territory.

I also tell Subban to call me when he becomes a UFA.

As for Price, well, he’s a great goaltender. With his skill and at his age I probably wouldn’t move him for any other net-minder in the league. He can, however, be replaced with a serviceable goaltender. Take the picks.

Best of all would be finding a low end team to trade with, acquiring a sure-fire top pick or two as well as some excellent young talent.
      The Carter trade is the model of excellence for flipping star players.

• HardHabits says:

Dude. I love both Price and Subban. Especially Price for his cool demeanour after everything he endured here.

But let’s face it. This is a business and the business is winning. If those two players can be converted into better players then that is the move that the Habs should to take IMO.

Beaulieu is in the pipes. Goaltenders come and go. Price and Subban are game-breakers though. Teams looking to add them would be in the vicinity of going all the way. Not the best picks at that zone.

The Habs have two remarkable assets in PK and Price. They can build with them over the long term, but even Pittsburgh with Malkin and Crosby are said to have to come to a decision at one point between them. Or they can convert them down the road into better assets.

What Philly did was unprecedented. It was so new school that they’re still writing the book on the maneuver.

If the Habs are to move one or both they’d be better off doing it when they can select the return, as Philly did.

As for the offer sheet thing. I don’t see it happening. I don’t believe any player is worth 4 first rounders. Better to tank 4 seasons than squander so many picks.

• REB says:

Match Price, let PK go. I love the guy and do believe he will be an HOFer, but yo have to be realistic…you can’t sign both. If we go back in history and ask the same question, would you rather have Roy or Robinson? I’d take Roy.

• Chorske says:

Depends which team is doing the offering. Detroit or Boston? Forget it. Edmonton? I might.

24. Neutral says:

stamkos: someone mentioned 4 first rounders and $85 million what if he ends up like savard….

25. Kooch7800 says:

Guys the habs won’t be putting an offer sheet into Stamkos. I could see us trying to work out a trade for one of the lightening players though. With our luck we would get Vinny and his rediculous contract

26. Habfan4lfe says:

Good move, he was average in my opinion. No big loss and I never saw him as a replacement for Markov. That’s a ridiculous statement in itself. If Hammer doesn’t sign, I don’t care either. He’s old, getting slower and no need to have him around for many years. Hammer was a decent defenceman but I don’t think his services are needed anymore. Spacek, well I’d hope he is gone too, never liked him and he’s scary on defence. I hope he is gone too. With the 3 of them gone, we should be in good shape next season.

27. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I honestly would be okay if they went after Stamkos, but if you are willing to part with picks I think you could grab Stastny for 2 firsts AND get rid of Gomez in the same deal. Save money on the C position (about 1.5 less than Stamkos would be getting), save 2 picks, and save the trouble of finding another team that wants Gomez.

28. habs03 says:

Good move, he isn’t good enough in his own end to warrant anything close to 5M. While both Markov and Wiz have the same risk or re injuring their knee’s I’d take the chances on Markov not because he is alot better, but his game doesn’t rely on him being aggressive. Now with Hamrlik gone, lets sign Hedja

29. RS says:

When they signed Markov and Yemelin, this was pretty much settled. Wiz wasn’t coming back.

I’m content with both events today, Wiz and Hammer.

30. krob1000 says:

hey chris…check this out re cam barker lol…I saw your post and thought hey what can I read on Cam Barker and this was the first one that popped up lol

• Chris says:

Shrug…you never know. For $1.6 M, you are rolling the dice that he pans out. If not, the Molsons can afford to bury him.

At 25 years old, he still isn’t all that old. This is roughly the same age that Josh Gorges started to blossom.

The point is well-taken though…sometimes, teams give up on these guys for a reason, as we found out with Benoit Pouliot or Pierre Dagenais. But sometimes (and I’m thinking of Stephane Robidas or Brian Rafalski here), guys take a long, strange route to finding their game.

31. priceberg says:

I am pissed that he is gone. I’m just scared cuz if marky mark gets injured we could be in trouble because subban can’t do it himself. Also wish we can get rid if spacho man

32. avatar_58 says:

This all just highlights how idiotic is was to offer Spacek such a long contract btw. Ugh.

33. Chuck says:

Tampa has 16 players signed (no goaltenders) with 18.6 million in cap space. Wit the Bolts on the hook for $7.8 million/year though 2020 for Lecavalier, would you send an offer sheet to Stamkos for 10 years/$85 million?

• HabFanSince72 says:

• Talik Sanis says:

Overused, but it aptly expresses my feelings on the matter.

Four firsts is way too much to give up for any player. Do we really want to feel like Toronto has over the last two years?

• longbow says:

Can you imagine if Toronto made a move for Stamkos. They’d go 6 years without a first rounder. I don’t count this year since the 2 they had were 2nd rounders at best. Still can’t believe they traded up for Biggs. lol

• Talik Sanis says:

Indeed, trading up to draft a guy who’s upside looks to be a lesser Colby Armstrong, with worse hockey sense, boggles the mind. It seemed as if Burke was just waving his arms, begging the media to play attention to him by wasting assets.

• Chuck says:

For the sake of argument, if you add Stamkos it would have to go along with the assumption that your team would be substantially better over the next few years, and thus you’d be picking in the latter stages of the first round. Plus, there’s no reason why you couldn’t trade back into a first round pick to grab a player that you really want.

Besides, what are the chances that even one of the Habs’ next four first round picks would turn into a player as talented as Stamkos?

• Talik Sanis says:

Investing so much to acquire one player is unwise in my opinion. One injury to Price, a failure of our aging defensive core or any number of other tragedies could befall our team over the next ten months. Almost any team could end up with a lottery pick, if the right combination of poor luck and poor play coincide.

Even Stamkos could be injured, just like Crosby, and our organization could be set back half a decade with nothing to show for it, while if we lost one of the players we could have drafted, we would still have the other three.

Trading that much potential for anything, even for the talent Stamkos brings, is something that can sink an organization. Offer-sheets and trades in that vein not only have the potential to destroy a team, but history has shown that they do more often than not.

Also, its not about one player turning out to be as good as Stamkos for our organization, but four. I wouldn’t trade Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pacioretty and Leblanc for Stamkos. Doing so would be mortgaging our future for one player, a great player, no doubt, but a single man. Not one of them would be more valuable to our future than Stamkos, but all four almost certainly would.

To then trade back into the first round would require a further expenditure of resources.

Everything in this game is about resource management, and the sacrifice of four first round picks for any player is poor resource management at best.

Of course, the entire issue is immaterial anyways. Tampa bay would match any offer, because their situation is different than ours. They need Stamkos. To us, he is a star forward; to them, he is the face of the franchise. The issues beyond skill, resources, cost and assets necessitate their keeping Stamkos, for any price.

• Dintrox says:

rollie signed 3m for 1 yr as per tsn

34. dhenry1234 says:

I like this move. It seems like we weren’t signing Wiz (otherwise he’d probably have signed by now) so at least we got something for him. And if BJ’s sign him we won’t have to deal with him being a bruin or a leaf.

Seems like we have a good amount of cash left to spend on a stud forward (maybe 2) and our back end seems set in stone. Could be a great year for the habs.

35. tobbs says:

Coming from someone with no brains

36. DEANDALLEY says:

With the moves PG is making, just as well give the Cup to the Habs already!

37. Iceberg84 says:

Put me in the disappointed column. I was sure the habs wouldn’t re-sign him after getting Yemelin, but I still had some hope. I liked his attitude and style of play, but if Markov is healthy and Weber plays well in his own end, I guess we won’t need the Wiz this year for the salary he’ll command.

38. krob1000 says:

Chris wins the feel good post of the day for pointing out that if Wiz signs in Columbus we will not have to deal with him several times a year or as a Bruin ….great point and something to feel good about because I remember with the Isles every time he had the puck it seemed it ended up in our net a few seconds later

• TomNickle says:

And it was only mildly annoying with the Islanders. Imagine him with the Bruins, Rangers or Leafs

• 24 Cups says:

Until Columbus moves to the East!

• krob1000 says:

Maybe you should change that avatar to a big ol storm cloud there Steve…I’ve been trying to see siver linings with Bieksa, Laich, Jagr and now Wiz all gone. Tha was my dream team…our existing roster plus Jagr, Laich and one of Wiz or Biekss.

• Chris says:

Yeah, but we don’t hate Columbus as much as we hate Boston. And adding Wisniewski doesn’t cure all of Columbus’ woes, whereas his addtion to Boston or Detroit’s rosters could be enough to put them over the top vis a vis beating Montreal.

• ManApart says:

Boston and Detroit don’t need Wiz to be put over the top in regards to the Habs. They are doing just fine as it is. I get your point though.

• longbow says:

No guarantee he signs with Columbus.Could still end up in Detroit or Boston.

• HabFanSince72 says:

OK we missed out on some UFA defencemen, however don’t forget we signed the 2nd best UFA defenceman this year. (Lidstrom is the best)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Why would he sign with Columbus?

• Chris says:

The problem with comparing the Ehrhoff and Wisniewski trades are the circumstances. The Habs have a pair of potentially elite offensive defencemen (Markov, Subban) and a young player with some potential in that regard (Weber). In the system, Brendan Nash, Mathieu Carle, Mac Bennett and the recently drafted Nathan Beaulieu are all players with some offensive talent. Wisniewski is a good to great player in this role, but it isn’t exactly a major organizational weakness.

Detroit, with Rafalski’s retirement, and Boston, unless they re-sign Kaberle, are definitely in the market for an offensive defencemen. If there is any way you can keep Wiz away from them, you do it, even if the return is a bit lower. Columbus has cap space ($21 million), they desperately want offence and they just brought in Jeff Carter to partner with Rick Nash, meaning that their top-6 forwards aren’t too bad (Nash, Carter, Brassard, Umberger, Huselius, Vermette). It has to be at least a little attractive to Wisniewski to have a chance to join that line-up if the money is ludicrous, and he is guaranteed to be the #1 D in that city, as opposed to taking a back seat to Chara or Lidstrom.

39. Neutral says:

put on your GM’s hat friday is just around the corner. which free agent do you think would most help the Habs?

my choice: Leino

40. zaq007 says:

Ask me to choose between Weber and Wiz I’d say Weber solely on cap reasons because we have holes on our forwards and we have to resign our two best young players next season, not to mention G Love’s cap hit so yeah this move makes sense. And stats don’t say it all I know but only one player had a worse +/- then Wiz on our team last season lol

• Philly-Poo says:

The Wiz’s brutal +/- came with him from the Isles. In 32 games for the Isles he was a -18. In 43 games with the Habs he was a +4… Asides from this past season, due to the Isle’s lack of a D unit, and goalie problems every 6 games, he was only ever a – player once before, -5 in Anaheim in 2009-2010… I’m sorry, that’s not bad for an offensive dman…
      He would have been extremely vital in playing a part on our PP. Imagine… The Wiz, Markov, PK, and an emerging Weber… That’s a lot of blueline firepower…
      Anyways, I hope he signs in Columbus, that would be a nice turnaround for them for next season, with him and Carter added…

41. Gindan69 says:

You know the whine festival isn’t in nappa valley, it’s right here among the esteemed collection of armchair GMs who know shit all.

Lets do some math shall we…..

14.8 Million left on the cap
    – 3.5 for Georges
    – 1.0 for Webber
    – 800k for White
    – 1.5 for Backup Goalie
    – 500k for that waste of space Laracque (still on the books folks)

That leaves 7.5 K for a pair of forwards to fill out the roster. So say they had signed Wiz at even a low ball 4.5, you only have cash to sign a pair of 3rd liners that way. This gives them a shot at a 1st line forward and presumably some muscle for the 3rd and 4th lines. Even assuming Hammer had agreed at 2mill/1year, that would have left cash for 1 first line forward and 1 4th line forward. There was never money for wiz. End of story.

• Stef says:

And what forward CAN they spend the money on?

• HardHabits says:

What are you talking about 3.5M for Gorges. Take the picks PG!!!

Gorges made 1.3 million last season. His cap hit was 1.1 million for 3 years. He was tendered an offer of 1.3 million. He’ll be lucky to get anything over 2.25M.

• Chris says:

I am reasonably sure Gorges is getting more than $2.25M, as I suspect the Habs are going to try to lock him up with a 4- or 5-year deal. If you do that, you’re asking the player to give up his first big pay-day as a UFA. I really suspect that Gorges is in the team’s long-term plans.

(And no, I don’t believe he is worth much more than $2.25 M for his play, but his intangibles and leadership will probably boost his value.)

• HardHabits says:

My prediction is 2.25-2.75 million for 2-3 years. Maybe 4 years. No way he goes over 3 million. I’d be surprised if he does, although he’s better value than Spacek. But that’s not saying much.

If somebody offer sheets him at 3.5M or more the Habs should take the picks.

• Chris says:

I’ll say 4 or 5 year deal at $3 M per year.

Comparing him to signings of UFA defencemen perceived to be good defensive defencemen in recent years, I think $3 M is not too far off what he’ll get. Time will tell.

UFA Deals:
            Mike Komisarek – $4.5 M cap hit
            Robyn Regehr – $4.02 M cap hit
            Willie Mitchell – $3.5 M cap hit
            Anton Volchenkov – $4.25 M cap hit
            Chris Phillips – $3.08 M cap hit (hometown discount, wanted to stay in Ottawa)
            Corey Sarich – $3.5 M cap hit
            Zbynek Michalek – $4.0 M cap hit
            Douglas Murray – $2.5 M cap hit
            Barret Jackman – $3.625 M cap hit

RFA Deals:
            Fedor Tyutin – 4 years, $2.84 M cap hit
            Nick Schultz – 6 years, $3.5 M cap hit
            Jeff Schultz – 4 years, $2.75 M cap hit

• PeterStone says:

i’ll guess 4 years – 10M$

• joeybarrie says:

2.25??????? Are you on drugs?
        MAB got 1 million
        Gill got 2.25 million
        Kopecky got 3 million
        Laich got 4.5 million

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• HardHabits says:

He’s an RFA. His last cap hit was 1.1 million. He was offered 1.3 million. Even if he goes to arbitration 2.2 is double his current salary. If any team is willing to pay him 3.5M the Habs had better take the picks. For 3M he better sign for 5 years with no NTC.

• joeybarrie says:

Thats exactly what he will sign for.. 3-3.5 for 5 years.
            Im hoping for 2.75 million, but make no mistake Gorges will get 3.5 – 4 if he becomes a UFA next season.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• HardHabits says:

He isn’t a UFA next season. He’s an RFA now. It’s take it. There is no leave it. Arbitration wont take him there either. If another team offers him 3.5M the Habs would be better off taking the 1st and 3rd.

• ManApart says:

No way Gorges gets 3.5-4 mil. Teams don’t see him as overrated as he is to some people here. The guy has absolutely no offence, is not very big or physical and isn’t a defensive monster either. Only +12 lifetime. He’s just a good, solid Dman, who at best is a 2nd pairing guy. 2.5-3 mil max.

• longbow says:

It’s 14.8 after Laraque’s buyout and you’re 1m over for Gorges so we will have 9m left over.

• Gindan69 says:

Your correct, 14.8 after the waste of skin. So that leaves 8-8.5. Georges is in line for 3-3.5 based on the other contracts signed. Wiz is being offered 5.5 for 5 years by CBJ according to CKAC. Again, you have to go even higher then that to compensate for taxes here, so it’s just not happening. They would get no forward help beyond a pair of 4th liners in that scenario. Now They have at least 8 to work with and we know PG likes leaving a little breathing room for trade deadlines and the unexpected, so I would say 6 at most is what he wants to spend. Of course, if he can’t get anyone on UFA day, well, its his and Molson’s failure. That’s the day the GM and the owner need to step up and really sell the benefits of the franchise.

• longbow says:

Gorges could probably get 3-3.5 if he was UFA but unfortunately for him being RFA allows the Habs to low-ball him and get away with it. I don’t think they’ll want to go too high or for too long since a stay at home Dman isn’t that rare and Nash,Bennet,Diaz and others could replace him soon enough for cheap.

42. joeybarrie says:

I really wanted to see Wiz stay. But look at our defense.
    Markov, Gorges, PK, Gill, Spach, Yemelin, Weber…
    Then look at our top 2 lines….
    Cammi, Pleks, Gio, and 3 missing spots….
    MaxPac, Eller, Desharnais…. not bad but still missing a few key pieces.
    AK, Gomez…. We need to work on this, not our D to be honest. Besides, given the recent 2 seasons a 50+ gritty scoring D with speed, probably go for 4.5 to 5.5 million… Way over priced given our current squad. We need a top 2 scorer. Not the fastest and best scoring defensemen in the league.
    There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, Gauthier is betting that our D stay healthy and Spacek doesn’t die of old age. Sorry, nothing personal, but cooked is cooked.

If he can dump Gomer, all is forgiven, but we had better get a STUD forward out of this. I mean freaking STUD!!!!

43. Say Ash says:

Wisniewski traded to the BJs – Gauthier has a wicked sense of humour.

44. DEANDALLEY says:

PG is an Idiot!

45. ManApart says:

If PG can dump Gomey, then maybe he can make an offer sheet for Stamkos, if a deal isn’t done by the 1st. I mean Yzerman stole enough of our guys, time to get him back. Although, unless the deal is insane he would almost surely match the offer. We would lose 4 first rounders I believe. For a guy like Stamkos, i’ll take it.

Plan B, Erik Cole.

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, ManParts, 4 1st rounders sounds like a lot, but as a perpetual mid-pack of mediocrity what great 1st rounders do we have anyway? And years to develop them? I say pull the freaking trigger. What do we owe Yzerman? Half our freaking team is down there.

We need a stud player on the same approximate development/age curve as PK and Price.

The key is the Gomez $, but we may be able to do it anyway with all the salary Gauthier is shedding. Maybe that’s the end game.

• TomNickle says:

Even with Gomez Gauthier will have $10 million in cap room after Gorges, Weber and White are signed.

On the offer sheet for Stamkos. I think I would be okay with it. In fact, I’d put him on Gomez’s left wing instead of letting him play centre.

It would surely get the most out of Gomez and would immediately make the Habs a Cup contender.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Where would we get the four first round draft picks needed for compensation?

• HardHabits says:

It would decimate the Habs for a decade. I’d rather lose Price or Subban for 4 1st rounders.

• TomNickle says:

Habsolutely :They are compensated in consecutive years, not one year.

Dave: I don’t see how having Stamkos, Subban and Price decimates your team for a decade. In fact, it’s a great step towards being a perennial contender in my opinion.

• HardHabits says:

By gutting the Habs ability to draft in the 1st round for 4 years? Hey it’s not like the Habs have pulled any thing out of the draft in the 1st round any ways?

I’d rather the Habs draft a player like Stamkos and not give up the picks. Hopefully some teams offer sheet Price and Subban in the 8 million mark and the Habs won’t be stupid enough to try and hold onto them.

• ManApart says:

HH. We’ve had 1st rounders for 20 years, it has gotten this team nowhere near being a contender. We’re not talking about top 5 picks here. At one point, you have to make your play and take a run at the Cup, even if it MIGHT sacrifice some of the future. Playing it safe all the time leads you exactly where the Habs are and have been for years. Consistent middle of the pack..

• HardHabits says:

I would go the other route. Let Subban and Price get offer sheeted. Take the picks. Stock the farm. Draft a #1 line.

I agree and I said it above that the Habs are crap at drafting. Oh they get their 1 or 2 lucky strikes now and again but they are nowhere near building a team via the draft.

Gomez would have to be dumped first and PG would have to grow some balls so your idea has as much possibility as the Habs do of winning the Cup with shorty, shrimpy, weewee, softy and tiny as forwards.

• ManApart says:

Agree with your last paragraph

• 24 Cups says:

I would give up our next five 1st round picks in a hearbeat to grab Stamkos. Won’t happen, but we can dream.

The latest rumour mill. Should the Habs take a run at Cam Barker for 1.6M this year? About a low ball offer for Drury as an 8 minute, 4th line centre?

• mrhabby says:

steve. ur silent on the wiz rights trade.???

• 24 Cups says:

It was never a big deal for me. Once we re-signed Markov, The Wiz was toast in Montreal. We will have three guys on the defense who can generate offence.

It would have been nice to grab a decent return but Gauthier looks to have waited too long.

If good health returns, we should be fine. Weber and Emelin need to get regular ice time. We can sign a 7th or 8th depth Dman in August for small change.

• Chris says:

I’d roll the dice on Cam Barker at that price. He’s still only 25 and has some size. He’d be a very useful addition.

47. Propwash says:

ZOMFG! We’re doooooooooomed!!!!!

48. krob1000 says:

Maybe we aren’t destined to be a cap team……there have been a few deals on Molson products this summer…..

49. Newf_Habster says:

So disgusting!

I rather have the Wiz than Markov and Hamrlik on the team.

I sure hope PG is not going to regret his decisions on Markov and the Wiz. I do not care about Hamrlik.

50. wall2bay says:

Wiz was avg 0.69ppg with us…..meaning over 82 games he would’ve had 57pts……meaning he would’ve been tied for the team lead in pts!!!

Doesn’t make sense unless PG is in the bidding for a major UFA!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

• TomNickle says:

Or looking to acquire one via trade.

But then again, signing Wisniewski to be a #5 defenseman wouldn’t have been a good use of money.

• wall2bay says:

Wiz is a top 4 D on this team and on the #1 PP unit.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah he’s on the top powerplay unit ahead of Markov and Subban. Uh huh.

• LA Loyalist says:

Point taken, but to have the luxury of a good second unit, too, plus injury insurance, plus a tradeable asset in March… I was very tempted to sign him looking at the bigger picture.

• TomNickle says:

Weber is a perfectly adequate puck mover and threat to score on a 2nd powerplay unit, and he comes at potentially $5 million less annually and a minimum of $4 million less.

• LA Loyalist says:

Oh I like Weber and think he will improve, and if everyone is pretty much healthy I think we are fine on the back end. Management must have confidence in Weber’s development also.

I will just miss Wiz’s tough edge, though.

• joebatts says:

PG has NO BALLS! He’s building fot nothing!! We’re gonna have the same team as last year! Which ain’t bad but we need more excitment and nastiness!!!!!!

HABS4LIFE!!

• Chris says:

Wiz was a 27 year old in his contract year and this was the first time in his career that he averaged more than 0.50 PPG.

2005-06 – 0.368 PPG
      2006-07 – 0.20 PPG
      2007-08 – 0.382 PPG
      2008-09 – 0.500 PPG
      2009-10 – 0.435 PPG
      2010-11 – 0.680 PPG

I’m sure Gauthier asked Wiz’s agent what he was thinking and balked at the answer. Wiz’s camp knows that in this climate (rising salary cap, many teams struggling to meet the cap floor, poor offensive market), he’s going to get offered a boat-load of cash.

Wisniewski is this year’s Sheldon Souray or Mark Streit. Valuable players in their roles, but simply not worth the amount of coin that some poor team desperate to make a splash is going to offer them.

• LA Loyalist says:

We fell off a cliff without Souray, then Streit did a great job replacing him and when Streit left we drove off the cliff again. PowerPlay qb is the most important position in the offense in the current game — and you can’t just pick these guys off a tree like you can a grinder.

• Chris says:

We have one of the best PP QB’s in the NHL in Markov, if he stays healthy. And we have an heir apparent to Markov in P.K. Subban.

Wiz was a big shot, just like Souray and Streit. He could also dish out some passes, but his weapon was a hard, accurate shot. Those guys don’t grow on trees, but the Habs can accommodate for the loss by changing their PP a little. A net presence would be a great start.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well I suggest we all head down to Notre Dame and light candles for Markov’s knees :) and yeah, some nastiness in front of the opposition net will help everything.

Let us pray that’s what this is all about on Gauthier’s chessboard. If Wiz’s $ get turned into a stud forward we are all excited about, and he’s over 5′ 6″, 150 lbs, much will be forgiven.

• tobbs says:

LOL, Souray and Streit are doing what right now?

51. Cable Guy says:

This is a HUGE mistake. PG must assume that Markov will have an injury free year but I would say there is an excellent chance he will miss a large chunk of the year with another injury. Wiz was a great pickup last season and they let him walk for a 7th rounder (possibly 5th rounder) This one will come back to bite the Habs in the ass.

• joeybarrie says:

If you were in charge of the Canadiens you would ASSUME our best player is going to miss a large part of the season with an injury…. So let’s have a back-up???? WHY SIGN HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• LA Loyalist says:

Sigh. Risk management. We HOPE Markov will be fine and great. We COVER OUR ASSES with Wiz just in case.

That’s good management. Oh, I forgot, it’s us. We don’t manage good.

52. ManApart says:

How come Gillis got a 4th round pick for Ehrhoff’s rights and PG only got a 7th for Wiz’s?

• TomNickle says:

Good question. I think it’s because Gauthier forgot something that I was under the impression he knew. Getting there first. Setting the market.

Acquiring Moore, trading Halak and acquiring Wisniewski were all proactive moves that paid pretty big dividends considering the return and expense on each deal.

Today, I’m not so happy.

• mrhabby says:

iam gased on this. one thing i was hoping for was a little more mobility on the back end with some nastiness. i guess not…christ.

• TomNickle says:

We don’t need Wisniewski. His value to the Habs isn’t the point here. The market was modestly set at a 4th round pick. Gauthier got far less than that.

• Chris says:

Depends on how you look at it…by sending him to Columbus, the Blue Jackets get the jump on potentially signing him. If they are successful, I deem this trade a tremendous success as the Habs will not have to see him signed by the division rival Bruins or Red Wings (who might be a division rival next year), who can both use his services to line-ups that are already somewhat strong.

• TomNickle says:

That’s very true Chris and something that I neglected to think about in the heat of the moment. I’d far rather see him in Columbus than Boston or New York.

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, there’s the silver lining. If he’d signed in Boston for gazillion$ we’d have died around here.

• D Mex says:

I strongly suspect that, if there was an official answer to this, it would be that Erhoff is more versatile, ie : effective on the PP, 5 on 5 and can play PK. The PK is not a strength for Wisnewski, but the trump card he holds vs Erhoff is that he is lots tougher.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• ManApart says:

Could the answer be that PG just isn’t a very good negotiator as Gillis is? Or maybe just not smart when trying to play the market. I mean look at PG’s trade track record, it’s not like he has a history of getting good returns for anybody.

• D Mex says:

I cited what I think an ” official response ” response would be.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• ManApart says:

Aquiring Moore and Wiz were good moves, but when you look at the long point of view, with PG letting them both walk, we lost 2 second rounders for 2 half seasons of service. Not good long term management. I understand letting the WIz go cap wise, but Moore was terrible mistake. Also, I think the Halak deal was awful. To only get Eller, with all the young guys St. Louis had in their pool, was just getting bullied out of a good return.

• TomNickle says:

I disagree on the Halak deal because Eller’s best years are ahead of him. Oshie has proven to be a cancer that St.Louis can’t get rid of quick enough and Perron already has serious health issues.

Perhaps Berglund or Pieterangelo, but I doubt it.

Moore was a good deal without being re-signed because he earned the team a ton of money with his Capitals series heroics. But in fairness, Halpern was just as good at half the cost.

• ManApart says:

It’s a little early to judge for sure, but Halak’s best years are also ahead of him. Considering Halak was at the top of his value at the time, to not get more than Eller, who was/is a second rate prospect was not good. The reaction by many Gm’s and hockey people were disbelief, if I remember right. There were some Gm’s who didn’t even know Halak was on the block. That is just terrible management, when trying to create a market to maximize return.

On Moore, firstly it was Halak who earned the team whatever money they made that playoffs. Secondly, what does earning revenue for Gillett have to do with making the team better? Losing a 2nd round pick for 20 reg games and playoffs is just bad, no matter how you look at it. Halpern is irrelevant. The point is the Habs are out a 2nd rounder and have nothing to show for it. Moore was only 400k more than Halpern and showed once again last playoffs how much better of a 3rd line center he is compared to Halpern. It was another example of bad management by PG. All these little bad moves add up. He is far from being able to manage like the top GMs in this league

• mrhabby says:

send an e-mail to Geoff Molson..heck.

• arya13 says:

I think your point is especially more relevant in the conference situation. Some pointed out that Wiz moves West which is good so he doesn’t sign with the Bruins. But Erhoff moved East to NYI too.

I further think that with the likelihood of him signing with the Wings after Rafalski’s retirement, Columbus should have paid more. Not only do they get to negotiate with him early but also potentially negotiate him out of going to a close competitor. That should have been worth more than 7. I think a 5th with conditional for 3rd would have been fair. 7th for 5th is just kinda useless. A 5th rnd pick is almost meh.. a 7th? useless.

MaxPac will raise 2 Stanley Cups in his career to show Chara that his is worth nothing.

53. Kooch7800 says:

Good player while he was with us but is going to get huge coin and really the free agent pricing nails you in a cap world…..*cough* gomez, cammy, gio *cough* are all gettiing more than they are worth cause of free agency.

PG will be a scrounger after the all the big names are gone just like last year with Halpern etc.

Good luck to Wiz. I hope he goes west

54. RGM says:

And to think that just yesterday I received the signed photo that he sent me for winning a Facebook contest. Ah well.

It was a good ride while it lasted, but all things come to an end.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

55. nunacanadien says:

I was hoping the Wiz would stay. But honestly, for a seventh round pick? This was clearly a move to save money and it may come back to haunt PG if his D-men acquisitions all turn out to be wimps and non-scorers. Here we are gambling our future on D-men? We draft only d-men, spend all of our big money on the defense, and we have nothing to say about offense? Clearly we see the hand of JM and his experiment to see if five on five hockey can work in the NHL. It only works when your best are healthy, otherwise it ends up being an opporturnity for the other team to basically outshoot the habs game after game. It is a shame we are not signing the Wiz, while he was not a scorer, he stood up for the team when it counted, on the boards, passed the puck on power plays and most of all started plays. At any rate, we shall wait and see what replacements PG has for us this summer. Who knows, maybe we’ll see Simon Gagne and Jagr here? All the big names being thrown around and all the contracts that are not being re-newed makes me wonder, if the big guy PG has some thing really really big planned…….or is he another Gainey in waiting who will wait until all the best are signed and sign what is left on the cheap but with huge contracts….ala Gomez style.

• Steven says:

Regarding Jagr, rumour is he’s already in Pittsburgh for 1.4 mill.

Anyway, with the cap space we have, it would be ridiculous for PG not to make a big signing or trade, or at least to not try. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Leino or Gagne come to Montreal, myself. I mean, PG met with Gagne last year when he was being traded, but our cap troubles kept us from getting him.

• LA Loyalist says:

Every one we drafted is, I believe, years out. Yeah the trout pond needs to be re-stocked, but we need help up front sooner rather than later.

56. HabsFanInTampa says:

Sad to see The Wiz go. I liked his gritty play and his offensive skills as a defenceman. The Habs just got a little bit more soft and a little bit less tough. Which is what we didn’t need. But that’s okay, if any opponent gets the better of our players on the ice, we can always call the Montreal Police to “look into the matter”.

57. TomNickle says:

I think Gauthier’s going to make a pitch for a high salary player with only a year or two left on their current contracts. My possibles……

Patrik Elias
    Scott Hartnell
    Ales Hemsky
    Marian Gaborik
    Shane Doan

• Kooch7800 says:

I can’t stand Hartnell but would love to have him on our team. What a great agitator

Hartnell would be highly effective. I really like Elias or Doan. Does the history between Doan and the battle with the language police prevent this from happening?

• krob1000 says:

any would be fine by me…..but which if any wudlwant to be here and what would the cost be….without Hammer or Wiz we are now not so deep on D. Hartnell…can’t see given the shakeup in Philly that the team seems to have sided with the Hartnell/Pronger/Briere camp.
      Gagne…risky and not sure he would want to play ehre
      Doan has been a lifer with that organization but Pricey is his little cousin right? maybe? exactly the type of player we could use
      Hemsky…skill to spare and speed to burn or so he makes it appear with his ability to change speeds and control the game when the puck is on his stick….fragile and Edmonton based on last years deadline has him priced pretty high.
      Elias….on his last legs….easily obtained likely to make room for Parise….sadly the least desirable of the bunch but perhaps the most likely…
      Erik Cole is an option as well….
      I think we may go after Jovo or Mccabe though personally….as the Subban/Markov pp would mean flipping Markov to be the shooter and Subban clearly worked best as the shooter from the left too. Giving Markov another left cannon so he can turn them into a 20 goal point man could mean two great PP units depending on what we mangae to muster up front.

• TomNickle says:

Elias has been damn close to a point per game over the last three years. He’s had some injury issues too but he could be one hell of an addition and would probably require the least in return to acquire. With more than $10 million in cap space after Gorges, Weber and White are signed I think he’s a worthwhile addition.

• mrhabby says:

Elias…..to aid Gomez????

• krob1000 says:

better than nothing but not what I was hoping for…especially out of a list like you posted. Frolov is still floating around too and seemes to have been forgotten. Wolski is rumoured to be free as well. Elias? not sure…he is creative, can shoot is a very cerebral player and always played on teams that were d first but how are the wheels anymore? don;t watch him enough but he is up there in years and has taken some lumps. Interestingly though I think Elias has a history with Gomez and Gio as a line (in fact weren’t their best years as a unit???) problem too though is ELias is another year at 6 million??? taht is big bucks for what he brings anymore IMO. Could Pacioretty or Andrei be pencilled in with Pleks and Cammi and not Gomez? Guess we’ll have to wait and see but I liked that JAgr was a one year and PP deal at a bargain price with no asset cost

• TomNickle says:

Elias did play with Gomez and Gionta and it was a highly productive line. Elias looked good last season I thought and concerns about his salary are fair but at the same time his money comes off of the books if he retires following this season. His contract isn’t a 35+ deal.

• Chris says:

Frolov signed a 3 year deal with Avangard Omsk in the KHL back in May, so he’s gone for the next three seasons and probably for good.

• Steven says:

At his price, I wouldn’t touch Gaborik. I’d give the other 4 a shot, though. If I could choose any, it would be Hartnell, though. Hemsky gets injured too often, Elias seems like he’s on the downswing and Doan is terribly overrated to me. At least you could slip Hartnell next to Pleks and Cammy and all of them would do better.

58. GenerationYHabs says:

Its look as though our D is pretty much set for this year so now with (If my math is right) about 10M$ left in cap space and some remaining holes in our offences including a top 6 forward. Who can we be looking at realisticly to acquire ?

59. jimmy shaker says:

I would love to see what PG offered…….I think if Rafalski didn’t retire, he (wiz) would’ve taken a 2 or 3 year contract at about 4.5mill per and tested the waters again when he was 30 years old. But rafalski leaving and the wings with the money and the team to contend, is where the wiz a michigan native is going to end up I believe. Thought he would take a bit of a discount to stay and put together what I think we all believe is going to be a very strong team if gomez can be even a tiny bit of a threat out there…..but he’s going for the money, and he has every right too. Good luck! Now PG go after Ehrhoff.

Shaker

60. lukas-joshua says:

It’s a sad day so long wiz

61. D Mex says:

So, NYI acquired a 2nd in return for Wisnewski and surrendered a 4th for a shot at signing Erhoff before the rush.
    That’s not bad at all, especially when you consider that Erhoff QBd the PP in Vancouver, is a bigger body, and plays (well) in all situations.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

62. mrhabby says:

a fifth round pick if he signs. we gave a 2nd pick….lol…

63. deuce6 says:

Exteremly pissed considering they just ponied up 6m a season for an unknown. Markov better stay healthy.

64. CMAC1978 says:

Hi guys, just started posting. I’ve been reading the board for a while. Enjoying the comments.

I think that they talked with him, to try and sign him. What team wouldn’t? He was looking for too much money, or at least more than what PG was willing to offer. I love Wiz though, exactly what we need on the Blue line.

I have this fear that PG is saving his cash to sign Simon Gagne. On paper he looks to be exactly what we need. We all know he has never played a full year. when he does, he is great and can score.

I’d like to see Ben Eager, imagine him bugging Tim Thomas…

65. shiram says:

His stick was white, so that was pretty cool, kinda blended in with the ice and stuff.

Glad he was dealt to a western team, and I wish him the best.

• bel33 says:

Yes unless they sign him… and next year Columbus gets moved to the Eastern Conference. Ha! Wish we could have fit him on the team bill for the year!

66. JasonM says:

Better than nothing. Comon sign him Columbus!

67. saf says:

I wish him well. He played well for the Habs but I suspect he has played himself into a big contract. Good for him but simply not a fit on the Habs as the #3 or 4 D-man (behind Markov, Subban and/or Gorges) in a cap-league. Now if this was baseball ….

68. Remi says:

As usual, Canadiens trading away all the talent they need. The only defenceman that can really score. Watch Markov get his knee destroyed…again…

69. SmartDog says:

Stuff like this makes me think that tanking one year is not a bad idea. I mean, don’t go out and blow games, but just stop throwing high draft picks at rentals – at least until we have a team (and team depth) that has a strong run at the cup. Suck it up for one year, save our picks so our second draft isn’t in the freakin’ 4th round, draft high just once and give it a good shot the next year.

• HardHabits says:

Tanking isn’t throwing games. It isn’t playing to lose either, although playing not to lose is not very far off, which is currently what the Habs do any ways.

It’s about knowing when you are not going to win the Cup. It’s about knowing that throwing away long term assets for short term gains achieves little in the short run and ruins every thing on the long term.

The Habs only hope is to build over the long term. I was in favour of trading the 2nd for Wisniewski but I figure you have to sign the player as well. Not signing him is a not a disaster but it’s definitely a set back.

Meanwhile we have a team wanting to sign Hamrlik for one year.

What the Habs need to do is maximize their assets. That means turning a young hot super star into a younger hotter super star, or into two young hot super stars

The thing the Habs do is turn a young hot super star into an over the hill over-priced has been.

The Habs are desperate. The Habs do not negotiate from a position of strength. Other teams know it.

• ed lopaz says:

yo!- Dog! – if the Habs miss the playoffs, 2 things kick in immediately:

1) Martin does NOT receive his $500,000 bonus – which is written in his contract

2) Gauthier’s job begins to be in doubt

Tanking is like “resistance” to the Borg….”it is not an option”.

• HardHabits says:

Resistance is futile. Surrender is not an option. Don’t mix your metaphors.

• longbow says:

Sounds better when 7 of 9 says it !

• ed lopaz says:

yes – sorry – “resistance is futile” – stupid me!!

Thanks HH.

• longbow says:

I’ll freak if they deal away any more 2nd rounders. Next years draft is good for Dmen but we need a forward.If PG is smart with his picks or maybe package the second to move up then we can get both in quality.

70. NafSbah says:

Can’t really comlain that Habs gave up a 2nd to get him, they were screwed last year and everyone knew it, Habs had no choice and Wiz helped.

But how in the name of all that is holy did the Habs get LESS than a 4th for a BETTER player, 1 day CLOSER to FA, with LESS supply and MORE demand.

worst GM ever

71. nick says:

5th or 7th beats the hell out of nothing.
    Which is… exaclty what Montreal would have gotten out of it in 2 days. Nice work PG.

With the D corp seemingly in place, it’ll be interesting to see who PG adds up front. I haven’t checked in a bit, but there is still a chunk of salary cap free (~10M) isn’t there?

72. avatar_58 says:

Whatever. Sometimes I wonder why I bother enjoying any of the habs UFA trades. They never keep any of the good ones.

Should have traded Moen and Spacek to make room damnit. Poor decision.

73. HalifaxHabs says:

he’s chasing the cash, so as long as Columbus is willing to pony up the cash he wants, he’ll sign, no questions asked.

74. RobertAlanFord says:

Better than nothing…….

F!F!F!F!F!!!!!!!

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-