Wilson laments 5-0 pasting

Eller
The Leafs coach was not impressed by his goaltenders, who were beaten five times on only 18 shots by the Canadiens.
But Wilson heaped praise on Carey Price.

Leafs embarrassed on Sundin Night

Senators lose again

François Gagnon on trade-deadline planning

Bob Hartley on David Desharnais

Kevin Paul Dupont on Tim Thomas

Larry Brooks column

The great Trent Frayne remembered

1. habsperspective says:

• powdered toastmann says:

Agree…I don’t believe he is soft in terms of avoiding contact…on the other hand I don’t think initiating contact is/was his style. I do believe if he comes back he will be fragile…(age and injury history together conspiring to probably limit any comeback to a short one, if not, an ineffective one).

Agree that Hab’s mgmnt has not been honest and straight up with the fans but then again, their main focus shouldn’t be on ensuring short term gratification of the fan base, but ensuring the best for the team. That said, like you, I don’t trust mgmnt (Gauthier) and would like him to be elsewhere come next season.

2. Mr_MacDougall says:

Lets Play “Salary Over-Under”

1) UFA Andrei Kostitsyn $3.75
    2) RFA Carey Price $5.0
    3) RFA Alexei Emelin $2.0
    4) RFA Lars Eller $2.25

• Stev.R says:

1. Under. 3-3.25
      2. Over. 5.5-6.5
      3. Under. 1.5-2
      4. Under. 1.5-2.25

I’ve noticed we tend to be pretty good at making good RFA deals. Eller and Emelin will be given 2-3 year contracts and will be rewarded with a bigger contract next time. I think Kostitsyn said he is willing to take a slightly smaller salary to play in Montreal. Not to mention he has had his role reduced somewhat.

• Chris says:

1) Over, unless he re-signs in Montreal
      2) Under, unless it is on a long term deal
      3) Think you hit it.
      4) Sounds fair.

3. HabFab says:

Interview with Kirk Muller after his Hurricanes practiced today in Montreal;

4. savethepuck says:

So a win tomorrow night and les boys are 5 pts (or 6 pts if Washington beats San Jose) back, But just because the Canes are in the cellar doesn’t mean they suck and it’s a gimme. seems strange that with the exception of maybe the Rangers and the Penguins, the bottom 5 teams are playing the best hockey in the East right now. Things are tightening up between 7th and 15th place.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

5. smiler2729 says:

So is Marksoft coming back at all?

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Chris says:

He’s so soft. Stupid Marksoft and his velvetty soft knee ligaments.

Soft is Pierre Turgeon not liking to get hit.

Soft is not suffering two season-ending knee injuries during NHL games.

• savethepuck says:

I took exception to it too

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• smiler2729 says:

Is chinadoll better?

__________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• twocents says:

Agreed Chris, Markov is anything but soft.

I’ve been meaning to catch up with you another point. Now that we have had Kaberle here for a while, can we not say from first hand observation that in terms of impact on a game and all around ability, he is not in Markov’s league.

I mention this ’cause I remember you suggesting acquiring him as long as a three years ago. Along the way you have compared the two as being very similar players.

While their offensive numbers have certainly been comparable, again, the difference in how the affect a game is quite large. Markov’s defensive positioning and execution is well beyond Kaberele’s and his ability to shape a play and control tempo is a dimension Kaberle barely offers.

And now I can say that in a more informed way.

• Chris says:

Kaberle vs. Markov is a beautiful example of how statistics simply don’t tell the story. Kaberle is a decent player offensively…he hates shooting, but he is reasonably competent as a PP quarterback and his play thus far isn’t bad in that role.

But as you say, Markov is just so much better defensively than Kaberle…it really makes me even more impressed with Markov the player. He is not mean, he doesn’t clear the crease…but he is efficient.

And Markov’s ability to move the puck out the Habs zone has been dearly missed, and that is one area where Kaberle is just not even close to filling the void.

Overall, I’ve been happy with Kaberle as an injury replacement. I also still think that he and Markov could form a formidable PP combo if Kaberle isn’t dealt this year and Markov is able to return from his knee injury.

But yeah…my estimation of Markov has gone up from its already elevated position with every game this season. :)

• Stev.R says:

Markov: Best stick check in the league. I can’t even express how many odd man rushes he has prevented before they became dangerous with a simple stick check. It’s not flashy, it rarely gets noticed, but it a skill that can change a game.

Also, I remember him one time being the only guy back for a three on one. He had three guys coming down on him, and then he stopped and went full speed up ice. I was like “What! Where are you going?” and then he intercepted the pass the other team made, broke up the play, and transitioned into offense within seconds. He read the play beautifully. If he would’ve guessed wrong he would have given up a 3 on 0 and looked very foolish.

• habsperspective says:

• Strummer says:

he’s soft as Bobby Orr.
      given that Orr had to cut his career short due to similar injuries

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

6. aj says:

Any Idea here how much Max Pacioretty will be worth at if the Habs do decide to sign him for a long term contract this year?

I could be wrong, around $4.5 – $5 million for 5/6 years. Who could give a right estimate here?

• blu3chip says:

I say 3 mil for 3-5 years.

• aj says:

Yeah, that’s a good assesment. He’s still right now 23 goals and 19 assists and 42 pts. He will make it probably around 30+ goals this season.

If he does make 35+ goals (lets say, 45 to 50+) this season, i have a feeling his value will go up. Probably more than $3m a year. Maybe $4 million.

Tony Marinaro is comparing Patches to James van Riemsdyk. But I say, MP is more than van Riemsdyk in terms of talent.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

It depends on what he does for the rest of his contract, but it’ll be a lot of money no matter what. Rick Nash has never scored 80 points in a season, Jeff Carter only once. Bobby Ryan’s carrer high is 71 points and Phil Kessel will break 65 for the first time this season. Guys who even Might! score points make big bucks. If Max Pac got to 60 points this year and 70 next season I’d expect him to get Phil Kessel/ Bobby Ryan Money, which is like 5 or 6 million per year, adjusted for inflation and changes to the salary cap.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• neumann103 says:

Anththing a year and a half out really depends on the new CBA, but based on what we know now, after his current contract is up he will have – what 3 years until UFA status? On top of his performance this season and next, that will be a factor.

If you pro-rate this season out then MaxPac ends up somewhere around 34 goals and 28 assists. Assume he has something in the same ballpark next year and the question becomes how much is a 30 goal/year natural goal scorer with some size worth?

Anything less than about $4M would be an invitation to get offer sheeted.

If they want to sign him past 3 years they will have to pay more to buy those UFA years.

“Et le but!”

7. Hobie Hansen says:

I think everyone can be guilty of piling on the Canadiens for one thing or another this season. I’m very happy with Randy Cunneyworth but felt that the entire firing of Jacques Martin was unnecessary and the distraction and adjustment period it caused probably cost us the season.

I think what people are failing to realize is this team is a couple of minor moves away from being a very good team. And I think letting Moen and Kostitsyn get away would just unnecessarily set us back.

If the Canadiens added two more solid grinders for the bottom lines and a rock of a defenseman I’d easily put us up there with the Flyers and Rangers in the Eastern conference.

Lars Eller is 22-years-old and now hitting his stride. He will score 20 goals next year, easily. A 60 point season is not at all out of the question for him next year. So there’s your big and talented center right there.

Markov looks like he’s going to return. Gionta will return. The Canadiens have 4 big and talented wingers in Pacioretty, Bourque, Cole and Kostitsyn. The Habs can ice three pretty damn good scoring lines when healthy.

Montreal needs to get a tough center to play with White and Moen next year and that solid defenseman I was talking about and we’re laughing.

I haven’t even mentioned Subban, Gorges, Plekanec or Price yet either! We’ve got a good team here.

Trading away parts right now for anything but an early 1st round pick would be a mistake!!!

• aj says:

Lets not forget as well the young prospect talents that are filling the injured players. I think Leblanc and Blunden are very good key players. Enqvist and Palushaj did some good work.

Next year, it will be better. Since prospects Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, and Bournival will be playing for Hamilton, they can do the same in road switching from the Bulldogs to the Habs back and forth to make them prepared to become NHL players. Look what happened to Subban, Pacioretty, and Desharnais. They’re now growing to become the future of this team. So hopefully, the next 4 prospects would go through those steps as well.

8. Sean Bonjovi says:

Does the NHL have a different minimum salary for players over 35 years old?

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
    – Sean Bonjovi

• Chris says:

Nope.

Only caveat is that 35+ contracts can’t be removed from the books by retirements or buyouts. Sending them to the minors reduces the cap-hit by $100 k, so barely any relief there either.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I thought they tweaked some rules when they approved the second Kovalchuk deal last summer, but I could not find solid info to prove, or disprove that thing I thought I remembered.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
        – Sean Bonjovi

• otter649 says:

The Flyers signed Chris Pronger after age 35 for seven years & will be on the hook for his salary on the cap unless Pronger has to retire due to injuries etc & then his salary will go to LTI on the cap for the length of the contract…..

9. otter649 says: