Will the Canucks nail it down?

Montreal Canadiens center Ryan White fights Boston Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk during the first period of NHL hockey play in Montreal

What’s with the Ryan White/Johnny Boychuk  photo? It was shot by Shaun Best, a brilliant Reuters photographer who passed away on the weekend. Condolences to Shaun’s nearest and dearest from HIO.

Stanley will be in the building.
The Vancouver Canucks can win the hallowed Cup at the TD Garden Monday night.

And how about those Mavs! Hard work, discipline and a German seven-footer trumped superstar skills.

There’s hope for the Canadiens … well, except the tall-guy part.

Mike Cammalleri on the competition committee.

• Red Fisher: Tim Thomas deserves the Smythe

• Two views of Mike Milbury: Larry Brooks and the Boston Globe

Pierre LeBrun on Kevin Bieksa

• Roy MacGregor on Cup childishness

1. Habinator Smith says:

Let’s see, we get rid of the more talented Kostitsyn, keep “Coastitsyn” and give away almost 30 goal scorer Grabovski, now with the hated Leafs, with all that cap room..ie (Brad Richards)..And now we’re giving up first (Tanguay) and second rounders for more One Year Rentals…This team is starting to remind me of the early 1970′s Penguins and Kings management..

Habinator Smith

2. LA Loyalist says:

I hate to pull in a football analogy, but I just realized (sorry, I’m slow) who JM is. He’s a football defense coach who loves the prevent, who got promoted to running the whole team and has NO F*CKING IDEA what to do in the other end of the field, except to maybe get a 40 yard field goal and then stuff the other team’s offense.

That’s JM. At least now I understand. It doesn’t suck less, but clarity has to be worth something?

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

This is a pretty terrible analogy.

Also, didn’t some of those Ottawa teams that JM coached score lots of goals? I’m pretty sure they did.

I think that when the Habs have the personnel to fill 3 scoring lines, we will see more goals. Also, when we have a defense that isn’t composed of 3 35+ year-olds who can’t move the puck out of their zone, we will see more goals.

I think JM is a defense-first coach, but I think he has had to make the team focus extra hard on that because we didn’t have the personnel (or the healthy bodies) to play more of an offensive game.

It’s Gauthier’s turn to put his stamp on the team. He has done good work so far, but this summer is pretty crucial to taking the next step.

• BigBird says:

I agree. I think JM is def one of the better “technical” coaches in the NHL. He is a defence-first type of coach. It’s not like he’s telling his players not to score. Under JM, Ottawa had one of the highest scoring teams. He teaches to back check, block shots, hit and has improved our pk and pp. Scorers will always score but if that’s all you want them to do you’ll end up with a bunch of prima donnas like Heatley who think all they have to do is sit at the red line waiting for a pass. I’m fine with him teaching his players to be responsible whether they are snipers, playmakers or grinders. He’s not flashy and may be friggin boring to listen to during interviews but does a good job with the players that he’s been given to work with. I’m not worried about his coaching at all.

• Caper says:

I was not happy the day he was named coach. However I respect him very much at this time as a coach. He has done a great job considering what we have missed for most of the last tow seasons. Our best player Andre Markov. I also like the way he handles younger players for a guy who supposedly is unable to. I also like how he says very little about the players unlike the Ron Wilsons of the world.

Caper

• hansolo says:

JM took us to the ECF in his first year. This year, with his defence corps depleted, and its best power forward injured, he coached the team to a better point total. The team played WAY better 5 on than it had in years. Sure, the team sucked terribly at times, espcially during the Christmas road trip. Bt so did other teams, even the Lightning with the much vaunted Boucher.

I also got on the “JM sucks” bandwagon but I’ve come to the conclusion he’s a good coach. Despite the perception that he stifles young players and goal scorers, do you hear complaints from Lars Eller, PK or Mike Cammalleri? (And you know there would be anonymous sources aplenty if there WAS discontent in the dressing room). He didn’t HAVE to give up his GM position in Florida to go back behind the bench. I think he wanted to be part of something special in Montreal. I’ve come to grudgingly respect the guy and I also appreciate how he’s helped maintain an air of calm over incidents like the Max-Chara one. A lesser man would have ignited all kinds of negative emotions, instead of keepong the players focused on playing hockey.

3. dudurules says:

I HATE BOSTON!

4. hab_skill says:

Haven’t posted in while. My condolences to the family of the photographer… Glad to hear that Muller might be hanging around (habs need him) and also a good coaching choice by the Sens.

Hopefully Vancouver can win it tonight and embarrass the ugly Bruins in their own building.

5. Hobie Hansen says:

So Chara signed a 7-year contract with the Bruins in 2010.
    That means he’ll be around 40-years-old when that contract comes to an end.
    So that means Jarod Tinordi has a chance to grow into his 6’7″ frame and beat the tar out of Chara when he’s around 24 or 25.
    Can’t wait.

6. saskhabfan says:

Retromikey’s BS claim that bruins fans hate the canucks more then the habs bebunked.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Dude, NESN is a joke!

• Sharks9 says:

Devastatingly late? Since when is 0.2 seconds last “devastating”. NESN is a huge joke.

25 before 14

• Hobie Hansen says:

It’s just amazing how a group of guys in charge of Bruins coverage at NESN spin everything the way they want and go as far as insulting people. Wait a second that reminds me of CBC, just kidding, CBC isn’t nearly as bad.

Anyway, the headlines and topics on NESN.com and their announcers are rude, ignorant and completely biased.

I can’t believe the NHL hasn’t stepped in and told them to clean it up and get real.

• mike3131 says:

This represents Boston fans. I am embarrassed to admit that I was a Red Sox fan until this year. I can’t believe how childish NESN writers are. Pathetic!

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪ – Stu (Hangover 2)

• issie74 says:

Hey … RetroMickey … there is only one person taking a worse beating than you and that is Bob McKenzie on twitter … actually do we have it on good authority that Mickey is actually a Habs.

NorthTOHab

7. TheDagger says:

Congrats to fellow Antigonisher Paul MacLean on being named head coach of the Sens!

I think congrats is the word I’m looking for…

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Some collective minds got together and came to consensus rankings on the NHL draft http://bit.ly/kd9Qld

C Mark Scheifele, RW Nicklas Jensen, C Mark McNeill are all within range of where MTL selects from their averaged rankings.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• Talik Sanis says:

I have a feeling that, barring the Fowler-like fall of a highly regarded prospect, Timmins is going to go after Biggs. I don’t like it, but for some reason I see it happening, even if some players I’m higher on are still available.

Glancing at the rest of those rankings, if Kucherov is actually available by our third round pick, I’d be fairly disappointing if we didn’t select him. Even with the Russian factor, his skill makes it hard for me to pass him up.

Also, I frown every time I see Noebels going in the third. I was intrigued by him last year, and was hoping that we’d take him then.

• issie74 says:

SF09 …I would take a chance on any or all of the picks … that’s the beauty of this draft … it is deep.

NorthTOHab

9. Rossy says:

It’s the Oprah-fication of the Stanley Cup.
    “Dr Phil, he just bit my finger!”
    “Yeah well you washed my face with your sweaty old glove!”
    Oh Boo-Hoo.

Give me Dickie Moore and Ted Lindsay . . . please.

10. Dwayne33 says:

I was watching the Price Is Right and there were Habs fans in the audience. Before the showcase showdown(spinning the big wheel) they gave Drew Carey a Montreal jersey with Price’s name on the back. He said this is cool, their goalies name is Price, then he threw the jersey on the floor. I couldn’t believe it.

11. Hobie Hansen says:

If you take a look at NESN.com or listen to their announcers on television, over the years the Bruins fans have been brainwashed by a bunch of jerks from the media.
    I haven’t been back to NESN.com since we were eliminated but I barely recall any story relating to goals, goaltending or anything except French Canadians being soft or Canadiens players being divers and cowards.
    As much as some people hate to admit it, we can’t always read between the lines. If we were to read stories about our 2nd or 3rd favorite sport, like hockey is to people in Boston, I’d probably take the reporter’s word for it.
    So if I picked up the paper and read that the Patriots were cheap shotting people and were jerks in the locker room I’d probably believe it.
    So when NESN constantly makes up crap about the Canadiens to get attention the Bruins fans are too dumb to realize it….
    I’d imagine they’ve been doing the same thing about the Canucks.

Not happening tonight, folks. I am having a pretty crappy day and the way my crappy days go is that if things start going badly in the morning, they continue to go badly until I go to bed. So, no Vancouver win tonight, as nice as it would be.

13. I’d love to see the Bruins lose the Cup on home ice, I really would. I just kind of wish it wasn’t Vancouver, I’ve lost a lot of respect for them this playoffs.

Regardless, should be an entertaining game.

And if you want, check out this compilation video I made yesterday.

14. JayBee says:

I’ve lost any shred of respect I had for the Bruins organization and their fans.

Their hypocrissy is almost infuriating. They cry about whining, diving, cheap shots, etc….but DO THE EXACT SAME THING!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more mentally weak team in my 20+ years of watching hockey. They cry about everything.

I hope they get smoked on home ice….

And guess what the excuse will be when they lose… “But but but you knocked out Horton” and “Burrows should have been suspended”. I can’t stand that frigging team and their fans…

15. Malreg says:

From Bob Mckenzie:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
    Coaching Carousel: smart $ on Paul MacLean to OTT, Glen Gulutzan to DAL, Craig MacTavish or Mike Yeo to MIN. Not done deals yet, just IMO.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
    Hearing Paul MacLean and Ottawa Senators are in final stages of completing a deal for him to become the next head coach.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
    Also hearing unsuccessful candidates in Dallas have been told. Looks as though Texas (AHL) coach Glen Gulutzan is last man standing.

Maybe Muller could actually return with us next year…

• HabFanSince72 says:

Kirk may need some time as head coach in the AHL before he gets a shot.

• Habfan4lfe says:

Or maybe the Montreal organization realizes losing Muller would be huge mistake. Keep him around another year, if Martin fails like he should fail then Muller take over. That’s my hope right now.

16. Habinator Smith says:

Dear Hockey Inside/out I registered an hour ago, and was confirmed through my email, and posted a comment yet don’t see it. Any reason..
    Habinator Smith

17. Habfan4lfe says:

Here’s hoping Vancouver wins and Boston, Bettman and Campbell lose! Go Canucks Go! I’m dying to see the reffing strategy tonight. How much says no penalties or one called late in 3rd, especially if Boston is down. Let’s see!

18. ths says:

or this scenario from a Bruins fan :

How about this scenario. Chara winds up for a shot from the point. Lucic goes to hook Burrows, Kesler and Lapierre. As soon as they feel the stick on them, they all throw back their heads and do a reverse swan dive that would put the Canadian Womens Syncronized Swim Team to shame. The puck pinballs off all three of their heads in the net. Game over. Trainer doesn’t even bother coming out. Zamboni runs them over.

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• pmaraw says:

sounds a lot like the phantom highstick andrew ferrence sold right in front of tim thomas, forget what game, but ya… bruins have as much integrity as a john in hooker alley.

19. Iceberg84 says:

Y’know, it really is a credit to both the Canadiens defense and the Bruins depth that Krejci was nearly pointless (both literally and figuratively) in the first round and yet now he’s leading the playoffs in scoring. I guess the credit to the Bruins’ depth is for their ability to win the series despite not having a top line. The fact that Boston is in the finals still stings, but knowing how effectively the Habs neutralized their best forwards is a small comfort.

20. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Gregory Cambell should win the Con Smythe. He has definately been the most valuable player for Boston the entire playoffs.

21. Habinator Smith says:

Montreal fans must be scared out of their wits if Boston comes back and takes this seriies, which wiill go to Seven after tonight..Looking on at TSN SITE lately, did you know how many Habs fans are calling the Boston Bruins ‘CCannada’s team” in this series, because theyy play Old Style Canadian hockey!! Identity crisis here I guess..Must be tough living ‘Vicariously’ off of other teams. Nice to see the Darche and Kostitsyn signings, good to know this management is bringing back llast years ‘eighth place’ squad that lost in the First Round of the playoffs..Hope aa team behind us doesnt impprve and we lose “Our Spot’..

22. RetroMikey says:

I was in Vancouver last week to visit my sister and to witness Vancouver fans yelling Habs suck to me while wearing my Habs’ baseball cap. That tells you the character of their knucklehead fans.
    While eating at the famous GSpot sports bar in Vancouver, I came across several Bruins fans who gave me a thumbs up while I donned my cap with my family and many boos from the knucklehead fans in Vancouver.
    So, no matter how much you hate the Bruins fans, the fans in Vancouver are IMO, the worst hockey fans, selfish, obnoxious and rude.
    Believe it!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Poor little Timmy. Did the mean fans make you cry??

• RetroMikey says:

No, but are u still crying or sulking after I made negative comments about our team?
        C’est dommage as they say!
        Better yet, your hometown Miami Heat …… C H O K E D !

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Pauvre tit Timmy!! :cry:
          My hometown Heat? are you on drugs? My hometown is Montreal. and I hate basketball. Now go back to rooting for Boston you tool.

• RetroMikey says:

Tsk, tsk, tsk,
            Can;t take criticism very well when a hometown butte boy has to call other posters names on this site.
            Tsk, tsk, tsk, you’ve got class.
            “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Hobie Hansen says:

let’s grow up a little, no name calling please…

• Habinator Smith says:

Montreal should build up its own team and quit worrying about who wins and loses in something we havent won in almost TTwo Decades.

Habinator Smith

• shiram says:

It’s your opinion, and that is fine, but it is not a reason to believe it.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah, Bruins fans are the classiest. It’s not like they started a F$%K the Habs chant in the washrooms at Fenway park at 2pm in the afternoon, the majority of them drunk already. I can also share another personal experience where Boston police subdued five Bruins fans outside of the Subway station connecting to TD Garden after they repeatedly threw rocks at a friend of mine and I(he was a Bruins fan by the way).

So it would appear that there is a large discrepancy between Canadian Bruins fans and Boston native Bruins fans.

• ZepFan2 says:

I call BS!

I know MANY Bruins fans right here in Montreal, and they will NEVER cheer for the Habs…EVER!

When Lucic/Marchand says he hates the Canadiens, he’s speaking for the fans as well as himself.

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• The Cat says:

I was there the year they lost the finals against the rangers. And I agree with you, theyre a bunch of morons, then again, all fanatics are.

• saskhabfan says:

LMFAO,first of all your full of shit cause everybody knows nobody hates the habs more then bruin fans or leaf fans. Besides,you were probably wearing a bruins cap,not a habs cap. Second of all its probably the only GSpot you have even found. ZING.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Boston fans booed Jeff Halpern after he was hit in the head. They’ve been rooting for PK Subban to be injured all season. They gave a standing O to Chara after what he did to Pacioretty. They immediately got on the “Pacioretty is faking, so are MTL’s doctors” bandwagon. Brad Marchand is their folk hero, PK Subban is the worst criminal in the history of the NHL to them. They take pride in seeing guys like Boychuk and Thornton attack Spacek and Hamrlik.

That’s not terrible? Please, that fanbase is as cesspool.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• OneTimer says:

This story makes a lot more sense if you were just wearing a Boston cap all along. Which wouldn’t surprise anyone around here.

23. habsfan0 says:

IMHO,unless Tim Thomas completely lays an egg tonight or in Game 7,he will win the Conn Smythe trophy,regardless of the series’ outcome.

24. avatar_58 says:

Oh to see the Bruins lose on home ice….

25. Thomas Le Fan says:

Not tonight.

26. Bugs says:

Congrats to Cammy on makin the Competition Committee board.
    Quick question: what the hell is the Competition Committee?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

27. Bugs says:

I don’t care who wins tonight as long as the Bruins lose.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

28. TomNickle says:

On a draft note. I’ve seen Gabriel Landeskog play quite a bit this season. Somebody please make a case for him being ranked #2 ahead of Huberdeau, Hamilton, Beaulieu, Couturier, Murphy and Siemens.

He’s physically mature. Which is the second biggest scare factor for teams when drafting behind character problems. He hasn’t dominated at the junior level, even on a very good team. And to make my point, I’d point to Casey Cizikas and Cody Eakin, who both performed much better and dominated despite not being as physically developed as Landeskog, albeit with an extra season under their belts.

For me, Landeskog has very little upside and huge bust potential heading into this draft. Seems that he’s been ranked #2 because of a very good two way game and a wrecking ball style of play. If somebody wants to draft Tanner Glass with the second overall pick, I’m going to be dancing in the streets.

29. Stuck_in_To. says:

“The Conn Smythe Trophy is awarded annually to the player judged most valuable to his team during the National Hockey League’s Stanley Cup playoffs.” There really could not be more room for opinion and error, could there?

As erratic as Thomas has been, he has arguably been the best Bruin so might deserve the award if the Bruins win. Horton might have also been considered since he actually advanced them in two series.

But if Thomas gets consideration from the Bruins, the Looo has to be considered on the other side. The 1-0 in the finals are two goal tending duels that he won. Kesler might have been there too had be not been injured and Burrows has been clutch at times but no one on either team really deserves the trophy.

• TomNickle says:

Bieksa is the most deserving Canuck and Thomas is the run away winner for the Bruins. Although I could make a hell of an argument for Krejci.

• DearyLeary says:

Krejci’s only the leading scorer in the playoffs, after all. Without him Lucy and Horton would be two oafs running around trying to hurt people.

I’d give it to Krejci too. Can’t say Thomas looked great against Tampa or Montreal, and Philly really didn’t put up any fight. Hard to say Thomas won those series’ by himself.

• Chuck says:

It doesn’t, however, state that the winner must be from a team that makes the Cup final. That’s just an unwritten rule.

• Steven says:

That’s how it’s been for ages. I can’t seem to understand why they don’t write that up.

I mean, last year, Halak would be the Conn Smythe winner by a longshot, judging by that definition. This year, I’m sure you could find someone on an eliminated team who was bigger for his team than anyone on the Canucks or Bruins.

30. TomNickle says:

After the Sedins, Joe Thornton, Geoff Molson, Aaron Rome, Ray Shero and countless other players and executives have come out and publicly wondered why Zdeno Chara wasn’t suspended and questioned the decision making of the NHL executive offices I’m curious if Mr. Bettman would like to change his opinion that he felt overwhelmed by the amount of support Mr. Campbell….ahem…..Mr. Murphy received in his ruling. Did Murphy consult with Peter Chiarelli when he ruled that Chara deserved no suspension? Milbury? Who’s brain was he picking back in Spring?

Nice to see Mike Cammalleri on the competition committee. Hopefully he isn’t afraid to speak his mind on matters like this heading into the future.

• The Cat says:

If people honestly think Chara did that on purpose, then they shouldnt watch hockey. The day I believe he did that on purpose is the day I stop watching, I wouldnt let a league that allows borderline attempted murder to go untouched. Yes I think the NHL is phoney and tries to coax certain outcomes, but I got to draw a line somewhere.

• TomNickle says:

I believe that he meant to send Pacioretty into the glass head first. As illustrated by him thrusting his forearm into Pacioretty’s face. I don’t believe that he meant to hurt him, but that’s not the point. He did mean to hit him in the head. If he didn’t want to hit him in the head, he wouldn’t have. Should I stop watching hockey now?

• Chuck says:

Then if I were you, I’d stop watching.

I am with Chuck, I am guessing also you are no longer watching NHL Hockey. No way in the world Chara Didn’t know exactly what he was doing. Did he mean to give him a Concussion and Broken Neck? No, but he meant to hurt him and send a message.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• D Mex says:

A bit of time passes and, what, Chara is on his way to sainthood ?

What a joke – not only should he stop watching, he should sell the tv to show he means it.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• derfab says:

Believe me, I have thought seriously about suing the league for its role in causing pts. The injury was not intentional because it couldn’t have been but the intent to do harm surely was and it remains one of the most sickening plays I have ever witnessed in any sport.
        Since seeing that hit I have had very nasty thoughts about Chara and the league and I truly hope they somehow suffer enormously as a result.

• nek25plus says:

Chara meant to make that hit bug and ugly, didn’t mean the eventual outcome, but once you make a dumb decision to go head hunting (and he did) you are also responsible to accept the
        outcome of your actions. So….maybe you should stop watching hockey.

He was angry and made that hit with malice and for thought.

• showey47 says:

Then i think your hockey watching days are over. Unless you can tell me why chara left his defensive position to skate across the ice to throw a hit with about 15 seconds left in a period in a 4-0 game. The puck was already in the bruins zone (about 35 feet ahead) when the hit was thrown and his defensive partner was already back in their own zone to pick up the puck. Why did chara not only leave his position but also pick that exact spot to throw the hit when the puck had already entered the bruins zone? Anybody who thinks that hit was an accident is freakin’ clueless.

31. habsfan_61 says:

first good on the mavs for beating the spoiled children known as the heat. secondly, finish off the bruins tonite im getting fed up with hockey in mid-june already. this has not been a classic series by any means

32. Hobie Hansen says:

More important…Any word on Markov?

The more I think about his injuries, age and probable demands…I think they should focus on Wisnieski, Bieksa or Ehrhoff.

Markov 100% healty is better than anyone available but I wouldn’t overpay or sign a long contract with his currently heath status…

• DearyLeary says:

Marky will be resigned for a year at the same tag as last year. I hope he stays healthy because he is the best of the bunch.

Wiz and Bieksa have both had injury problems, so none of them are the picture of health, and I’d like to keep Andrei in a Canadiens uniform.

• Hobie Hansen says:

You mean you “HOPE” Markov is signed to the same tag as last year….

And yes Bieksa and Wizniewski had injury problems but they’re further down the road to recovery than Markov.

I just don’t want Markov to turn into a Kaberle or Redden and the Habs get stuck with a guy who lost a step on a long term expensive deal.

One or two years i could live with.

• DearyLeary says:

Two years will be the max. It’s not hard to figure out what the sticking point is in the current negotiations. I understand why Markov would want term, but it’s impossible to deny that there are worries about health and that no team will be willing to gamble long term. Add the fact that he likely wants to stay in Montreal and I’d say 1-2 years at the same price is very likely.

• Malreg says:

He won’t get a long term deal, unless he’s willing to take a big pay cut.

My guess is Gauthier wants 1 or 2 years at the same price as last season, and Markov wants 3 years. If he’s not signed by the draft, then I’ll start to worry.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya we’re all guessing that he’ll get a two year deal but what I’m saying is that if another team offers him 5 million for 4-5 years we should walk…

• ZepFan2 says:

The Wiz had 3 surgeries, on the same knee!

How soon people forget that Markov took a hometown deal last time he re-signed. He’s mentioned numerous times he has no desire to play anywhere else but in Montreal. I’m pretty confident he’ll sign.

———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• Hobie Hansen says:

That’s great and again, A 2-year deal for Markov is about all I”d want to see.

And all I’m saying about Wizniewski is that he’s played a full season on his knee already and we know what level he’s at.

It’s possible that Markov has lost a step and we’re not able to verify that at the moment.

• ZepFan2 says:

I’d like a 2 year deal as well. I’m not sure that will happen.

I’m more annoyed at those that worry about Markov because he’s had 2 surgeries on the same knee, yet want Wiz signed even though he’s had 3 on the same knee. Yeah, I get the age thing. What I want to know, where does the loyalty come in to play when Markov is involved? He’s shown his loyalty to the Habs and to us, the fans.

Now it’s our turn to show loyalty to Markov.

———————————————————————-
            Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• D Mex says:

Markov has been great with and for the Habs. There are indications he wants to stay and it’s clear management and the fan base want the same. Team management has medical info that people here can only speculate on, and that info is an important consideration on this deal.

From my vantage point on the couch, the saving grace here is that if Markov goes down for medical reasons again, his salary would not count against the cap. The front office knows this too.

Markov comes across as a level-headed pro and the same can be said about the Montreal front office. There is no reason to think both sides cannot strike a balance here.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• Mike D says:

If I’m not mistaken, an article or link on HIO a while back stated that Markov’s agent was asking for a 3 year term and PG countered with a 1 year term. I believe the money was the same or similar to his current salary.

I’m expecting 2 years around 5.5mil, but when I mentioned the Markov signing yesterday, another member of HIO said he heard a rumour on twitter that talks have stalled because of disagreements over term length. No clue whether there is any validity to it, but hopefully not.

- Honestly yours

• Hobie Hansen says:

@Zepfan2

I’m not saying Markov may have lost a step from aga, although it is possible but rather that we’ve not seen him in game action since the injury.

Wiz played good hockey last year for a full season and Markov has yet to do that after the operation…

• G-Man says:

You a doctor now?

• issie74 says:

i am sure all the above mentioned d-men will ask for money and term.

NorthTOHab

33. Chuck says:

The only thing better than watching the Bruins lose the Cup would be to see it paraded around their home ice, rubbing it in the faces of their d-bag fans.

• DearyLeary says:

It would be glorious.

• TomNickle says:

You’ve got that right Chuck. But it would be nice if the winning goal for the Canucks happened late in the game. I don’t want a blowout where everyone leaves the building early. I want them to suffer through the shock of seeing their team lose within an inch of game 7.

• HabFanSince72 says:

A blowout might mean getting booed by their home fans.

That would be nice too.

• HalifaxHabs says:

exactly Tom… perferably an OT winner from Burrows… that would finish them off nicely. All the Bruins fans at the game, and all over the world, can watch from the edge of their seats, when someone they hate so much dashes their dreams.

• Malreg says:

Burrows, triple OT, deflected in off of Chara’s skate on a shot from the corner.

• Chuck says:

How about this: tied at 0 with 30 seconds left in the 3rd period, Lucic throws a pass out to the point from behind the Vancouver goal that hops over Chara’s stick, bounces down the ice, and past Thomas for a 195-foot Vesa Toskala special.

• TomNickle says:

You couldn’t script it any better Chuck.

• showey47 says:

and off ference’s middle finger.

• nek25plus says:

Can’t be a blowout early…we all know the game plan then…running around trying to kill players or beat them into submission. Actually to have the Canucks keep it close until late in the third and then have the Sedin’s get a hat trick (which ever one, Henrick or Daniel, doesn’t matter) with Chara on the ice for all three goals!
            I can dream right!?

Go Canucks!

34. derfab says:

Goalers always have an advantage with the Conne Smythe. The keepers have been the difference on more than a few nights, because they need to be, but Thomas has let in many a soft goal on his way to the final, forcing his team to go deep in to 2 of 3 series. A dominant goalie shuts the other team down from start to finish. Boston’s positional play has allowed Thomas to take away the first shot and not worry. Boychuck has been good in this respect and there are players on teams already eliminated (eg. Thorton) who deserve as much consideration. No goalies for the Conne please.

• nek25plus says:

Give it to Kesler…if they hadn’t injured him he would be the right pick. He pulled Vancouver to finals with his will alone. And he’s not quitting.

35. DearyLeary says:

re. MacGregor’s article:

Is it any surprise that all the BS is going down in a Bruins series? Same kind of stuff has happened in round one and three (round two doesn’t count, Philly was dying to hit the links).

• Deano says:

The biggest surprise is the large number of people who think it is odd that the series has been dragged down into the gutters. Hats off to Boston; as it is the only way they could hope to win a series.

• DearyLeary says:

I also like the fact that Rome brought up the Chara hit as a precedent to a late hit causing injury, but the media has kind of let that fall by the wayside.

Nope, Boston’s a classy team that plays clean all the time.

/plugs ears.

LALALALALALALALAALALALAL NOT LISTENING!

• Deano says:

I missed the Rome comment about Chara … probably because I get most of my info from the CBC

• DearyLeary says:

“What is late? That’s a decision they made and I have to respect that, but I definitely don’t agree with it,” he said. “You just have to look back to late in the season, I’m not going to name names, but there was the same incident with an interference penalty and there was a severe injury out of it, and there was no suspension at all.”

Interesting to note, I just read the print version of the Toronto Star, and this bit about an interference penalty being let slide by the NHL is left out of the print version.

36. ths says:

I think it was a good move by Louongo to shoot his mouth off about Thomas. It probably wont do anything but it might distract him.
    Thomas has spent his life trying to make the NHL. Im pretty sure hes analysed his game more than Milbury has smashed his head into his cheerios and inhaled. But it might get him over thinking. Obviously the Canucks have studied him and are countering his agressinve style so he might have to get out of his comfort zone

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

37. petefleet says:

Thomas has been extremely lucky in these playoffs. When his luck has run out, the Bruins lose. Lou hasn’t really impressed either, even with the 2 SO’s. On the other hand, Burrows has played well through the entire playoffs. If he has a great game tonight, he might even get a mention.
    As for Bruins media…watch a Bruins game on a Bruins TV network (TV38 I think). There’s nothing more to say. They are the worst sports announcers / fans in the world for bias.
    Go Van City !!!

***Habs Forever***

• Clay says:

Thomas has been the best player on either team. Just sayin’.
      Precedent has been set in this 5 times already, and I could see Thomas Getting the Smythe win or lose.

__________________________
      Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

• petefleet says:

Thomas has been the best on both teams. I guess my point is that he has also had some pretty rough moments throughout the playoffs. He will get the Smythe unless tonight is a blow out and he gets yanked.

***Habs Forever***

38. crazyhabsfan says:

RUMOR MILL!!

Pierre McGuire is heading to Ottawa next season to coach. My sister is friends with his niece.
    At least we won’t have to listen to him on TSN/NBC next year!!
    Break the story Boone!!

Poetic justice would be a Vancouver win tonight with a Sedin goal assisted by a Sedin.

I want this to happen so that I can watch the following heads explode:
    Cherry, Milbury, Julien, Lurchic, and Marchand.

I opened the Boston Globe article and even though it was what i expected, I still find it hard to believe a home town paper can be so blinded. The funniest is Milbury talking tough against Guy Lafleur. Lafleur owned the Bruins, he made them his “bitches” (Sorry best word for it) every year in the playoffs. For Milbury to talk like that now, is just so typical of that Troll like piece of crap. He never did anything in his career, and is now living vicariously through the current Gooins squad.

Please win Vancouver, my despisement for the Bruins, their fans, and their media is getting stronger by the day.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• G-Man says:

I am hoping to watch Vancouver celebrate tonight on Boston ice. I will laugh my ass off at the Goons team, their management and all their fans.

40. PrimeTime says:

MacGregor nailed it; “immature” series. Unfortunately, the media likes to fan the flames to attract an audience. Whether you enjoy the sideshow or not, you are aware of it and talking about it….as I am am and I agree with MacGregor who chose to write about it.

I have several reasons not wanting BOS to win but the biggest right now is Claude Julien. His pressers are absolutely horrible. He like the kid that just runs his mouth to draw attention to himself. How much anger is built up in this creep. Shutup already and get some professionalism….maybe then will you be hired after you get fired again.

Next is the Boston Media, Mike Milbury, and Don Cherry. They can’t be representative of all BOS fans, can they?? Granted that every team has it’s idiots but to put that image in the national forefront?? At least for the most part Habs fanatics are hidden in HIO. If the Bruins win, I have a feeling they are going to be the sorest winners of all time. Can you imagine a year of these idiots claiming “king of the hill” for a year?? Ugh!!

Go Nucks!!

41. JF says:

I would have thought Roberto Luongo had been in the playoffs enough times to have learned not to say anything of substance to the media. The remarks he made about Lapierre’s goal in Game 5, innocuous enough during the regular season, will be fuel to Thomas’s fire in a playoff game. Just as the questions about his goaltending style after Game 2 put him on his mettle, so will Luongo’s comments. He will be even tougher than usual to beat tonight. I hope Luongo has a good game and the Canucks win, but I fear his remarks will come back to haunt him, as usually happens in the playoffs.

• G-Man says:

Bunk. Talk is talk. If Thomas will try harder now it’s simply because HIS back is up against the wall. This “added” motivation stuff is bunk. If you’re not motivated to win the Cup, you don’t belong in hockey.

• JF says:

I’m not really talking about motivation here because I’m sure the guys on both teams are motivated, just about the mysterious way incautious words spoken during the playoffs have of turning on those who say them. We saw that with some of the disparaging remarks made by the Capitals about the Habs last season. While not disparaging (I think he was simply pointing out a contrast), Luongo’s comment could be taken by the Bruins and Thomas as criticism. It just would have been safer for Luongo, if he had to say anything about Thomas, to make a bland remark to the effect that he’s a great goaltender or something. Never give the media fuel or the other team bulletin board material. So I have an uneasy feeling about tonight.

• G-Man says:

Okay. Sometimes, I believe it’s good to feed the fuel; it depends on the situation. After all the disespect being displayed by both sides, I am not surprised by any of it.
          I fully expect the Goons to try to hurt Luongo tonight. It’s what they do.

42. naweed235 says:

so here’s a good monday morning canadiens related laugh for those who have not seen it :

my favorite response was prices… just hilarious

43. Bill J says:

I love how the completely biased Boston media states:

1) That when Milbury speaks of the Bruins using the word “we” that he is not biased for Boston. What a joke.

2) That only Vancouver and it’s media are incensed by Milbury’s statement. Hum, Larry Brooks writes for the New York Post, last I checked New York was not suburb of Vancouver.

The Boston media has suffered one too many hits to the head it seems.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read them saying that him using the word “we” does not indicate he is biased for Boston… they actually tried to say Milbury wasn’t biased, after giving us quotes that proves he is.

The Boston sports media has to be the most pathetic bunch of homers I’ve ever seen.

44. G-Man says:

Finish the Goons in their own building? Party on Vancouver!

45. Sharks9 says:

I don’t think Thomas is guaranteed to get it. What if Luongo wins it with a shutout? How could you not give it to a goalie who gets 3 shutout victories in the cup Finals? Or if someone like Ryan Kesler does a lot in tonight’s game. It’s whoever’s best in the whole playoffs, not just the finals.

25 before 14

46. HalifaxHabs says:

Now there’s a nice picture to see on Habs Inside/Out first thing on a Monday morning. :)

47. HabFanSince72 says:

Timmy for the Conn Smythe? Not up to now.

In the two games Boston have won his teammates scored an average of 6 goals. Most keepers would have won those games. In the three close games, Boston lost, and in every case the winning goal was scored with Timmy way out of position.

He makes easy saves look hard and its fooling a lot of people.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I agree with you. The Burrows goal was another good one to show Thomas’s weakness. However, the Bruins use his play effectively. It amazed and frustrated me how quickly all five were back to clog up the front of the net in their series with the Habs. And in every series since.

That D coupled with Thomas’s natural athleticism is a potent combination. This is why Van needs to keep feet moving and transition to the attack faster. The also need to drive to the net to pick up some of those juicy rebounds.

• christophor says:

If only he had Price’s battling spirit.

• DearyLeary says:

Didn’t think about it that way, it’s a good point.