Will the Canadiens make a move?

It won’t be Chris Phillips. He’s staying in Ottawa.

Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier was earlier reported to have a seat on the team’s 9 am charter to Atlanta, the Habs scheduled to practise there at 1:30 pm. But multiple sources say that Gauthier already is in Atlanta, working the phones.

Red Fisher on Gauthier

Dave Stubbs on Brent Sopel

Habs icon Elmer Lach knows pain

Jack Todd on today’s “action”

• Ron Reusch on a great deadline move and the allure of Jason Arnott

Christmas Day for puckheads

Why it may be quiet

Buffalo adds Brad Boyes

Guy Lafleur plays his last game in QC

And Jarred Friedman found a cool short video by habby06

8lb27YgsnEA

1. Kain292 says:

Spezza and Gonchar can’t be moved. The town would murder him if he traded Alfie – he will retire in a Sens sweater. Beyond that, he has to have some semblance of a team remaining to play their next game. I expect a couple more deals out of them today.

Pihllips re-signed because he’s in the same boat as Alfie. He wants to retire a Senator. I don’t think many teams would take him beyond being a rental for the playoffs.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

2. Displaced says:

I thought he was the weak link.  Where do you think they need to improve?  Their window is closing in the next year or two.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

3. TomNickle says:

That’s kinda the point.  Anybody who says the Avs or Rams are in financial trouble has a few screws loose.

4. observer says:

want to cherry pick? do it on each and every gainey/gauthier move here over EIGHT YEARS – burke is in his 2nd full season there.

5. HFX-HabFan says:

The pride of Cobourg, Ontario.

6. Displaced says:

Assets are overvalued right now.  PG knows how to buy low (Wiz), I’d like him to sell high.  Now is the time.  I doubt if he’ll participate in any meaningful way.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

7. TomNickle says:

He gives defensemen fits.  He’d be a good rental add.  The extra year may be a downer though.

8. Storm Man says:

When you marry a Walton you have no financial troubles Tom.

9. Displaced says:

What’s the fuss with Neil? I only see him play against us and he’s ok, nothing special.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

10. TomNickle says:

Do you have a point?

Stan Kroenke is one of the wealthiest owners in North American sports.  They are not in financial trouble.

11. HabFanSince72 says:

The owner is rich but the team is losing money, despite equalization.

Kroenke probably didn;t get rich owning money losing businesses.

12. Displaced says:

You asked, I tried to provide a thoughtful response.  To be clear, I wouldn’t trade what I think they’d want.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

13. slapshot777 says:

I’d like to get Konopka, but he is a centre isn’t he Tom? We would have to move a centre in order to make this happen, and who do you think it would be?

14. Mattyleg says:

Best of the day!

..buuuut it’s early yet…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Mattyleg says:

My prediction (apart from “Pain!”) is that 7 out of 9 HI/O posters will be unhappy with Gauthier at the end of today.

Of these 7,

58% will want him fired

23% will want him run out of town on a rail

12% will want him shot at dawn

7% will want him encased in titanium and launched into deep space

The rest of us wil be happy enough.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. habs-hampton says:

Toronto Sports Network!

All Leafs, all the time!

17. Displaced says:

It would be odd to be out of touch for 2.5 hours, even if he has no interest in making moves.  Any reasonable executive would be on a flight that has Internet and can stay in touch and/or designate a person to deal with issues until he lands.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

18. slapshot777 says:

I know there is a lot of talk right now concerning Brad Richards, but really I know he is a good player and all, but he is not a be all end all type of player. Apparently the talk is he will only waive his no trade clause to go to the Rangers. The Rangers will have to move some good players to get him.

I still think the Rangers will struggle to make the playoffs whether they get Richards or not. That’s just my opinion, but he is not an “impact” player, like a Ignila, Nash, Crosby, Ovi, Stamkos, Sedins.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

19. BJ says:

Somebody in the know at CKAC has said that the Avs are in serious financial trouble? So maybe there is an option there. Maybe they can send Stastny our way to compensate for the rip-off on the Roy trade…..

20. HabFanSince72 says:

He’s a vegan so he must eat lots of fibre. I say two movements, maybe three.

21. observer says:

His core now includes Kessell, Phaneuf, Schenn, Kulanin and Reimer. He has cap room to add some serious players this July.

22. Kain292 says:

Actually, they did. They also said that if he gets on the flight to Atlanta he should be charged with malpractice, as being out of touch for 2.5 hours is unacceptable for Montreal today.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

23. Displaced says:

I’d bet the Rangers would move a first and McDonough for him.  That would be enough for me if I’m Big Joe in Big D.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

24. habs03 says:

You are soo sad, all those are true but you  leave out the context, 2 late first rounders, while his own (top 10 pick atleast) along with the 2nd overall pick last year, and the 32nd pick. And it’s easy to have 17M in cap space when you have a team full of AHL. Its really sad that he only has 17M in cap space with that line up, Lulup at 4M, Komi at 4.5, Armstrong at 3M, Dion at 6.5…….

25. slapshot777 says:

Watching the trade deadline on TSN, and I am wondering are we watching for trades in genereal or are we spending the complete day talking about the Leafs and their play-off chances. You got these so called experts there to talk hockey and they are constantly being asked questions regarding the Leafs.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

26. habs03 says:

Jackets would hang up the phone.

27. shootdapuck says:

TSN just did announce that the NHL is a better league when the LAFFS are in the playoffs!

How do you figure ? Crock of S_IT!

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

28. HabFanSince72 says:

Problem is Richards is our with a concussion right now. No way he gets a Kaberle type return.

29. twocents says:

Working from the premise that the Habs are notoriously tight lipped about what they are up to trade wise, therefore dismissing all current bogusly substantiated rumours, how about this completely unsubstantiated possibility:

Gomez, Weber, and a high pick for Rick Nash!

Huh? Whadaya think?

30. alestar says:

I see what you did there Tony…

XXIV…and counting

31. shootdapuck says:

One talking empty head criticizing another.

How quaint!

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

32. Mike D says:

I think he plays for Colorado, but humerous nonetheless, :-)

– Honestly yours

33. Sportfan says:

If the TSN “experts” actually said thatPG should be fired they are moronic we don’t need more freaking D we have Mara we have Sopel not the greatest but good enough

34. observer says:

Sopel and Mara – only move left to make is for a big top 6 forward.

35. CanadienBoy says:

My predictions -3 light snow with partial sun break

36. observer says:

Deadline day on the web on TSN, Sportsnet, NHL.com, CBC.ca.

37. observer says:

A better shot blocker

38. The Cat says:

True. Unquestionably positive about the habs and negative about other teams does seem to equal intelligence around here sometimes.

39. The Cat says:

The best source for habs info is Martin McGuire, seen him nail some real longshots on 110%, most notably when he said the habs’d trade Halak at a time it was very hard if not impossible to say that on record.

40. HabsFansince49 says:

Well done Jack (Todd) though Cherry, Milbury, Tremblay and co. won’t be inviting you out for a beer. I totally agree with your talking (empty) heads description.  So much lingo, so little knowledge.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

41. HabFanSince72 says:

12 goals @$4M?

He’s Gomez-lite. Minus the cup rings.

In any case our cap wouldn’t have allowed it.

42. Castor says:

Francois Gagnon tweets : #Habs GM Pierre Gauthier will be on board for the 9 AM charter flight for Atlanta. Dont expect a major deal from Montréal side.

Fantastic.

43. awesomerino says:

Could we seriously not have offered St. Louis a 2nd for Boyes?

44. CanadienBoy says:

Long day a head ,Arnott ready and willing but where and for what 2 rd.. pick ?

45. HabFanSince72 says:

The “Tampa have no D” meme is interesting. It probably comes from the fact that they have a few flashy scorers, so it must mean they are weak on D.

In fact Tampa are third in shots against, behind NJ (no surprise) and LA.

They have a fairly impressive defence corps, all the more so since the acquisition of Eric Brewer.

They have a technocrat coach, and teams led by technocrats usually play good team D.

What they  don’t have is a keeper who looks like he can go the distance in the playoffs.

46. The Cat says:

Im really interested who gets Vokoun.

It’s not always about winning and improving your team at the trade deadline.  Money talks, as Ken Campbell points out in this Carolina example.

“With a salary ceiling of $59.4 million per team and a floor of $43.4 million, the midpoint this season is $51.4 million. The Hurricanes currently have a payroll of just under $50 million, meaning they’ll receive $1.4 million in revenue sharing money from the league if they don’t go any higher. So every dollar they add Monday would not only be added to their payroll, but would subtract a dollar from the money coming back to them from the league.”

The Habs have tons of coin as they consistently sell out one of the the largest arenas in the league.  They always spend close to the ‘cap max’ in order to enhance their playoff chances.  That’s a luxury that some other teams (and fans) can’t enjoy.  Hence the reason some deals don’t always make sense when you first examine them.  A prime example of that is Dallas with Brad Richards.  Joe Nieuwendyk is boxed into a corner no matter what he does today.

48. HabFanSince72 says:

My predictions for today:

1. Every time a player is traded someone on H I/O will wonder why Gauthier didn’t get him.

2. Brian Burke will have a lot to say.

3. We will not trade Scott Gomez

4. Bruins suck. Always have. Always will.

49. pmaraw says:

rofl love it, thats about how i see this turning out lol

50. The Cat says:

Yeah that myth is like Montreal’s speedy forwards, a term instantly attached to smallish players as a rule. Montreals forwards are as speedy as any other team in the NHL.

51. The Cat says:

I dont mind Burke, yeah he talks a lot but the NHL does need people who are entertaining. Imagine a league where everyone has PGs personality…And then people wonder why canadians are boring.

52. adam76 says:

Remember all those “smart” members on this site explaining how Tampa Bay was one dementional and not a legit team?

Tampa Bay is solid in most catagories.  .

53. pmaraw says:

our 2nd isnt as appealing? I dunno. but we did that last year for a rental, cant do it every year.

54. adamkennelly says:

I would love to see Backes – Crombeen, Umberger – Boll, Arnott – Clarkson – in that order….but truth be told – we need a #2 center..unless we roll

Pleky

Eller

Gomez

Halpern

and DD gets traded, along w/ AK and some picks for any above mentioned duo..

lines

Pleky, Cammy, Backes

Eller, Pacioretty, Gionta

Gomez, Pouliot, Moen

White, Halpern, Crombeen

I prolly forgot someone but whatever

55. JFriedman says:

TSN confirmed Gauthier is not in Atlanta.

56. scrowe21 says:

Please move Gomez.Please move Gomez.Please move Gomez.

57. awesomerino says:

Gomez-lite, eh?  First of all, $4M isn’t nearly as prohibitive as $7.3M – especially given that AK46 and his $3+M are coming offthe books no later than this summer.  Furthermore, Boyes is a 6’1″, 200lbs goal-scoring winger, whose style of play is in no way silimar to Gomez.  Granted, he seems to have been lost in the shuffle of St. Louis’ restructuring, but your assessment is entirely off-base.

58. Castor says:

CKACSports: Martin McGuire confirms that #Habs GM Pierre Gauthier is already in Atlanta

….There’s hope!!

59. observer says:

Something is coming down!

60. observer says:

Canadiens are not out of the woods yet. Of the last 19 games 12 are on the road. 5 of the next 6 games and 4 of the last 5 games are on the road and Habs have a losing record on the road and probably are the only Eastern conference playoff team not having a winning road record(assuming Buffalo becomes the 8th place team with their games in hand over Carolina).

61. observer says:

TSN confirmed Gauthier is NOT on the team charter!

62. observer says:

Maple Leaf Canadian bacon

63. samTHEman says:

I would be so pissed if AK or Desharnais are traded for a rental. I don’t see it happening but at the same time I have a weird feeling Desharnais will be dealt. Umburger would be a nice addition but is he available?

64. rhino514 says:

Question:  Is Sopel as good as Gorges?

65. adam76 says:

BUT WHAT DID HE HAVE FOR BREAKFAST????

66. twocents says:

Is revenue sharing really based on cap spending?

If it is that’s ridiculous. It should be based on revenue only.

67. TomNickle says:

My Predictions:

1. Pierre Mcguire will go on at least five tirades about General Managers not doing enough to improve their teams in an effort to ignite media backlash that leads to those men being fired and subsequently opening up possible destinations for him.  Sadly though, the majority of those team will make the playoffs and do well because they didn’t screw with chemistry in their locker rooms.

2.  When Craig McTavish isn’t sure what a specific player brings to a team he will refer to him as a good character guy.

3. Dave Hodge will make fun of Leaf fans at least three times today.

68. Mattyleg says:

Peter Mueller from Phoenix?

I don’t know, player-coaches rarely work.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

69. CanadienBoy says:

and bring the Dog’s coach for second to Muller

70. Mattyleg says:

This is going to be a non-happening.

I refuse to watch it, because it would only add grist to the mill that this sort of idiocy is acceptable viewing.

Wake me up if something happens.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

71. Fansincebirth says:

Spacek likely done for the season, PG should be fired if he doesn’t make a deal for a Dman – TSN

72. BJ says:

I hope they keep both as well. If Desharnais is traded Gauthier better have a French Canadian name coming back this way or he should stay in Vermont and not show up in Montreal. He’s the first decent offensive French Canadian we have had in a while along with Pouliot.

73. redgorf says:

I would do nothing. We are not going anywere this year .this summer beef up the front and get younger in aft. keep ELLER NO MATTER WHAT and POULIOT  get rid of JM, and try MUELLER.