It has been 21 years – and counting – since the Canadiens last won the Stanley Cup.
They came within two wins of making it to the Stanley Cup final last season, losing the Eastern Conference final to the New York Rangers in six games, so the expectations will be high for Habs fans heading into the 2014-15 campaign.
The Canadiens were the focus of the NHL.com 30 Teams in 30 Days feature series on Aug. 21, with Arpon Basu, the managing director of LNH.com, posing five questions heading into the new season:
1. Who will fill the leadership void?
2. Who will grab the available spot among the top nine forwards?
3. What will be the impact of Andrei Markov and P.K. Subban playing together full time?
4. Who will claim the sixth defence spot?
5. Will the power play improve?
“I like the progression of our team, I like the direction our team is taking,” coach Michel Therrien says in the NHL.com feature package. “We had an enormous challenge when we arrived here two years ago, but I like the commitment and the way things have gone so far. But we haven’t reached the goal yet.”
Will 2015 be the year?
(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)