Who’s Where for 2010-11

The N.H.L. season begins in seven nights and did you know that Chris
Higgins is now with the Florida Panthers? It all starts next Thursday
and you’ve only got seven nights to catch up on this summer’s roster
moves.

Back in the days of the Original Six — and even the Original 21 —
players stayed with their teams longer. They were identified with those
teams and the teams drew their identity from their players.

It’s quite different now, especially with free agency kicking in at
age 26 and the salary cap forcing teams to move players around — and
even out — of the league.

So here’s our annual handy chart to help you track some familiar
veteran N.H.L. names who are now in unfamiliar places. If we missed a
veteran worth including, feel free to add it in the comments section.

Keep in mind that some well-known players, like Bill Guerin (with the
Flyers) and Mark Parrish (with the Sabres), are in N.H.L. camps only on
tryout contracts and have not been signed for the season. Others, like
Sheldon Souray (Oilers) and Wade Redden (Rangers) remain property of
their clubs — at least for the time being — even though they may not
play for them this season.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlanta
Key additions – Fredrik Modin, LW/RW; Nigel Dawes, LW; Freddie Meyer, D;
Chris Mason, G; Brent Sopel, D; Ben Eager, LW; Andrew Ladd, Dustin
Byfuglien, RW/D.
Key departures – Colby Armstrong, RW; Johan Hedberg, G; Marty Reasoner,
C; Slava Kozlov, LW; Pavel Kubina, D.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Who’s Where for 2010-11″ >>

Who’s Where for 2010-11

From NY Times.com Slap Shot blog:

The N.H.L. season begins in seven nights and did you know that Chris
Higgins is now with the Florida Panthers? It all starts next Thursday
and you’ve only got seven nights to catch up on this summer’s roster
moves.

Back in the days of the Original Six — and even the Original 21 —
players stayed with their teams longer. They were identified with those
teams and the teams drew their identity from their players.

It’s quite different now, especially with free agency kicking in at
age 26 and the salary cap forcing teams to move players around — and
even out — of the league.

So here’s our annual handy chart to help you track some familiar
veteran N.H.L. names who are now in unfamiliar places. If we missed a
veteran worth including, feel free to add it in the comments section.

Keep in mind that some well-known players, like Bill Guerin (with the
Flyers) and Mark Parrish (with the Sabres), are in N.H.L. camps only on
tryout contracts and have not been signed for the season. Others, like
Sheldon Souray (Oilers) and Wade Redden (Rangers) remain property of
their clubs — at least for the time being — even though they may not
play for them this season.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlanta
Key additions – Fredrik Modin, LW/RW; Nigel Dawes, LW; Freddie Meyer, D;
Chris Mason, G; Brent Sopel, D; Ben Eager, LW; Andrew Ladd, Dustin
Byfuglien, RW/D.
Key departures – Colby Armstrong, RW; Johan Hedberg, G; Marty Reasoner,
C; Slava Kozlov, LW; Pavel Kubina, D.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Who’s Where for 2010-11″ >>

1. Jordio-oh says:

Darcy Tucker retires. I’m paying my respects with my two favorite Darcy Tucker videos of all time:

I was at the game in the second clip. Habs down 2-0. They come back take it to shootouts and souray fakes the slap shot and dangles Raycroft. The Bell Centre was pure madness that night.

2. adam76 says:

I was at that game as well – it was unreal.

3. Chuck says:

I was lucky enough to be at both games. You’re right; the place rocked both nights. There’s nothing like driving a stake through the playoff hearts of the Laffs!

4. HabFanSince72 says:

We could use Frankie the B.

5. Bugs says:

One of those better have Kovy in it!

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

6. Chuck says:

I thought that sort of thing only happened at MLG in the ’70′s and ’80′s.

7. habaddict_andy says:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is MLG?

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

8. Chuck says:

Maple Leaf Gardens.

9. Say Ash says:

It’s where the Leafs used to lose.

10. adam76 says:

Nice!  I loled hard.

11. SmartDog says:

Man, that was quite an era.  They DOMINATED losing.  Awesome.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

12. Oddball says:

… with a side order of truculence, to go!

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

13. Chuck says:

I wasn’t aware that you could supersize a Happy Meal.

14. habaddict_andy says:

I think he was told he will have big boys meal from now on.

15. CBrady12 says:

I love this site! Go through the comments from last nights game and you can count the positive comments on one had…such great fans we have…always SOMETHING to complain about…I honestly don’t know how some of you make it through the day

16. SmartDog says:

C’mon, we don’t LIKE to bitch. If the team had won it would be different – even though it’s preseason an L still sucks.

BTW, your post has a couple of grammatical errors, and there’s some punctuation missing.  Try to do better.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

17. Say Ash says:

I hate it when there are 3-4 posts from Boone et al. on the same day. I never know where everyone is hanging out.

18. SLONCOLD says:

i have no time for grammar and speeeling :-p

19. CBrady12 says:

No you LIKE to bitch..im not writing an essay here its a bloody hockey site so sorry if i don’t give two sh!ts about grammar or punctuation, ok smartass..oh i mean smartdog

20. CBrady12 says:

spelling was fine, its punctuation thats the problem

21. J.J. of Turku says:

Hmmmm…. I think you broke my sarcasm-radar ;)

Does anyone remember last winter, when here was discussions about getting HI/O application to AppStore? I wonder if that’s still a plan?

22. Jordio-oh says:

habs down 3-1, Koivu pops in two (including that pp goal that you just see trickle into the corner of the net) to tie the game annnnnd he does his nifty backhand forehand deke in the shootout. The best.

23. mike g says:

Been reading some of the anti-Leafs comments today, check this out…

-Leafs stands for: Losers Even After Forty Seasons

-Air Canada Center stands for: Always Complaining and Crying

-Maple Leaf Gardens: Many Lost Games

Man, it’s like they do it on purpose……..Or, maybe I’m just really bored.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

24. SLONCOLD says:

gonna make a prediction about opening day?

25. CBrady12 says:

haha i know

26. mike g says:

Nope…

No more of those for me..

I’m quitting before I find myself in rehab.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

27. Say Ash says:

That sounded like a prediction.

28. Say Ash says:

This is great, Stu, but what did Kadri have for lunch today?

29. SmartDog says:

Burkie took him to McDonalds and told him to Supersize it.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

30. SmartDog says:

The days when players stayed longer, were identified with teams longer, and maybe played for 2 teams their whole career were simply better days.

The current CBA, the current player conditions, etc., shows less respect for the integrity of teams, the teams as brands themselves, or even the stability of players (and their families) lives.  What it does respect is the almighty dollar and as they say ‘you can’t serve two masters’, which is why as these things grow, the dollar takes over and everything else erodes.  I’d love to hear the PA or GM’s saying “we want players to stay put longer, become a true part of the community, the team, and be our identity.  A sad fact of sports (and industry) today… and though I don’t love Bob’s round-up of long term contracts (relatively speaking), that we have guys like Gio and Pleks and Cami around for a long period says something positive to me.  Now a freakin’ cup winning team (or even just a worthy contender) would be also nice.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!