Canadiens draft Collberg, Thrower in second round; Bozon in third

Collberg
•  •  •
Sebastian Collberg (pictured) is a Swedish RW the Hockey News Draft Guide had at 14. Not big – 5’11″, 174 – but a clever scorer who shone on the gold-medal team at the World Juniors. McKeen’s Draft Guide also had Colberg at 14.
An assessment: Collberg possesses a great mix of blazing speed and and incredible shot, a combination that makes him lethal coming off the rush. Despite his small frame, the Swede isn’t afraid to take the puck in and out of the dirty areas. His production this year is by no means an accurate representation of his upside at the NHL level. In fact, his performance at the 2012 World Junior Championship is a better gauge of what’s to come in North America for Collberg.

Collberg at the Combine:
And his Shootout goal:

• Dalton Thrower, a defenceman with Saskatoon of the W who, as the Dickensian name suggests, is a fighter and took on massive Tom Wilson, giving away three inches and 25 pounds but hammering out a draw in the Prospects Game. Michel Therrien likes tough guys who can play.  THN has him at 29th, McKeen’s 38th.

Thrower told NHL.com he was honoured to be drafted by the Canadiens and said he models his game on Kevin Bieksa’s.

Profile of Thrower

And a scouting report on him

Thrower throwin’ a few:

• The Hockey News rated Tim Bozon 43rd and the Canadiens got him with the 64th overall pick.

“He owns a terrific shot and a good skill set,” a scout told THN. Another scout compared Bozon to David Perron.

A scouting report on Bozon

And some video:

• The Canadiens’ fourth-round pick, 94th overall, was Brady Vail, a centre, born in North Carolina, who plays junior for a great organization in Windsor: “A tireless worker, Vail wins a ton of board battles and is never afraid to get himself into traffic.  He has a hard, accurate shot and a quick release.  Vail is also a good passer, and has decent vision to find the open man in the offensive zone.”

A scouting report on Vail

And some video

• At the top of the fifth round, the Canadiens took Charles Hudon, a small LW from the Q, with the 122nd pick. THN rated him 80th.

Scouting report on Hudon“The one thing that stands out to me when watching Charles Hudon is his ability to spot openings on the ice and his capacity to take full advantage of them by his superior skating and puck handling ability. He is a rather undersized player but he keeps his body low and is hard on the puck making it difficult for opponents to get the puck off him.

Hudon video:

In the sixth round, the Canadiens took Swedish LW Erik Nystrom with the 154th pick.

Not to be confused with Bob’s son, who plays for Dallas, or this guy

And that’s the ballgame.

The Canadiens do not have a seventh-round pick.

•  •  •

The Canadiens haven’t had a second-round draft choice since 2008, when Danny Kristo (56th overall) was their top choice of the draft, the first-round pick having been dealt to Calgary in the Alex Tanguay deal.

A list of the team’s best second-round picks would include P.K. Subban, 43rd overall in 2007; Maxim Lapierre, 61st in 2003; Mike Ribeiro, 45th in 1998; José Theodore, 44th in 1994; Patrice Brisebois, 30th in 1989; John LeClair and Éric Desjardins, 33rd and 38th in 1987; Benoit Brunet, 27th in 1986, Stéphane Richer, 29th in 1984; Claude Lemieux, 26th in 1983; Chris Chelios, 40th in 1981; Mats Naslund, 37th in 1979; Rod Langway, 26th in 1977, and the Canadiens’ best second-rounder ever: Larry Robinson, 20th in 1971.

It didn’t take long for the second-guessing to start.

On L’Antichambre after the draft Friday night, Gaston Therrien says the Canadiens could have bettered Carolina’s offer for Jordan Staal by trading the number 3 pick, Lars Eller and Yannick Weber to the Penguins and thereby securing “a number one centre for the next 10 years”.

I’ll take my chances with Alex Galchenyuk, thanks.

1,061 Comments

1. Greg says:

Fellow HIO-ers! Come on now, we’re better than this! PK isn’t going anywhere! Not for Nash or Ryan! They’re both overpriced! We all know PK isn’t going anywhere, so let’s talk about something more reasonable, please. No, not Pleks and Gionta being traded either.

How about the CBA negotiations and how they will affect what we can do with Gomez! E.g. NHL wants to get rid of the whole “bury-the-overpaid-guy-in-the-AHL” routine. Could they do that without offering an amnesty buyout? What if they don’t? What if Gomez is stuck on the Habs?

2. Hobie Hansen says:

My goodness are people still talking about Subban getting traded?

With Timmins, Bergevin and Mellanby overlooking things now, does anyone really think one of the best skating, competitive and talented defenseman in the league is going leave our team?

The team is in the midst of going ultra young and Galchenyuk, Gallagher and the whole lot of them are probably every bit as flamboyant and would have zero issue with PK hamming it up.

The media loves nonsense that sells and they love hits on their websites or TV shows and they’ve identified PK Subban as a magnet.

It would take a slam dunk huge player to get Subban out of Montreal.

See you all this fall at our 2012 HIO Fan Summit!
    CLICK THE LINK BELOW

4. That's-Hockey says:

I have a feeling PK is not wanted in Montreal every time a trade is mentioned. His name is the first one to come up. if it’s so bobby ryan, rick nash, parise would be my choices wouldn’t take anything less.
    in any case with a few moves we should be a playoff team.

5. RGM says:

So now that the draft is over, tomorrow is the deadline for submitting qualifying offers to RFA’s. That means movement for Eller, Geoffrion, Palushaj, White, Blunden, Nokelainen, Emelin, Nash, Diaz, Subban, and a few guys in Hamilton. For some of these guys, the QO will just be a formality to lock up rights on the path to a larger contract offer (i.e. Subban) but for some the lack of an offer will mean the likely end of their time here in Montreal.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

6. habstrinifan says:

Well this Sunday Morning has been good. A nice sort of hangover glow from the wonderful draft. And the posts have been great too. Some like Un Canadien Errant’s brought to mind the great feeling you have slowly recovering from a great Saturday night party while you remember the moments you will never forget.

So because you put me in a great mood, I am gonna go to the Y and look at the fillies and mares in their leotauds and know that unlike the HABS but much like PG and JM, I shall NEVER have my glory days again.

I leave you with one of the greatest songs for a Sunday, sung by the GREATEST!

If you cant listen thru this entire song you may have lost your soul.

How do you know you are a classy NHL team and operate seamlessly? Hours after the draft is over, you fire 4 of your amateur scouts.

Well done Columbus Bluejackets, Bravo!

8. Well done Habs in the last 4 months! Excellent staff, draft and can’t wait until training camp starts.

Also, very informative, funny and thoughtful posts everyone, I enjoy reading all the comments.

9. HabFab says:

Prospect Development Camp 2

Starts next Thursday thru Sunday, list of players to come later but will include;
    - new draftees
    - prospects that couldn’t make 1st camp (Bennett)
    - undrafted prospects that the Habs want to take a closer look at, usually mostly from the Q. Have only seen 2 names mentioned so far, both from the Q.

• ed lopaz says:

I have always liked Hudon. He had an outstanding rookie season in the Q and then repeated those numbers this year – so that’s a little bit of a step sideways.

But he’s a natural – a guy who finds a way to create and a guy who finds a way to score.

Is he the biggest guy at 5’10 and 175 lbs, absolutely not.

But he is an offensive threat;

I like those players because if they pan out they are top 6 material.

Those are picks worth taking.

That;s how Detroit stole Zetterberg and Datsuk;

Later in the draft take the high risk high reward picks and help them develop.

10. H.Upmann says:

Galcheyuk may be 6’1, but he’s going to be a tank if he continues to be s gym rat!

Blue Jacket blogger is concerned that the market for Nash continues to get smaller and that Howson is probably now losing leverage in the trade of Nash.

Wonder what the package will really end up looking like to get this guy.

• Cal says:

Nash isn’t the “superstar” that the Blue Jackets think. The cap hit is too large- $7.8mil until July 2018. He a .8 points per game guy, so it’s not a total fail, but his best season was 2008/09, already 4 years ago. Oh, and his actual salary rises to $8.2 mil and stays there. Can you say albatross?

Agree Cal, I do think Nash is a wonderful player, but he is not Crosby/Malkin etc.. I think Howson will end up trading him for less than he was offered last season at trade deadline by the Rangers.

Edit: Maybe they will settle for Gomez straight up for Nash?

• ed lopaz says:

once Parise signs, the teams who miss out will then want Nash.

Nash is a “difference maker”, Nash is not Crosby or Malkin, but he is still capable of playing to a level just below those guys.

Consider that Staal got the Penguins 3 impact players going forward.

Dumoulin was outstanding at Boston College, the pick for Matta, and Sutter.

Nash will get Columbus something in that neighborhood.

• HabFab says:

Ed, read conflicting reports on Hudon and his speed / skating. What is your assessment?

12. HabFab says:

HAB CAPOLOGY 101

$70,300,000 – projected salary cap 2012-2013

$44,735,476 – present salary for 13 players including Leblanc

$25,564,524 – cap space left to sign up to 10 players

FACT – Gomez and whoever else you dislike, count until they don’t.

RFA’s – there are 7-9 that played for the Habs and other then PK and Price won’t get more then $1-2 million.

13. habstrinifan says:

Boone did a great job re the history of 2nd round picks.

No 2nd round draft will ever come close to Robinson in 1971… the drafting horizon is too different for that kinda player to slip by.

But this 2nd round was amazing. Do you think it could possibly match John LeClair and Eric Desjardins from 1987. That was amazing getting two players like that then. Unfortunately you know the LeClair story.

• Lafleurguy says:

Could be stated that drafting those two high-skilled players was an important step in winning the ’93 Cup. Doin’ the math, we’re going to win in 2018!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• solomio says:

2018 ? I ain’t waiting that long!

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

14. steve17 says:

I noticed that there are a few players who were ranked pretty high that weren’t drafted. Does anyone know if they are now considered UFA’s and fair game for anyone to sign? Emil Lundberg was ranked 37 by ISS and 52 bt the Hockey news. He is 6’3″ and 209 lbs. Hee plays left wing and even if he was only a 3rd or 4th line player, he would cost nothing. Another that doesn’t seem to be drafted is Slepyshev, another bigger left wing at 6’2″ Ramked 28 by ISS and 51 by the Hockey news

Habfan17

15. habstrinifan says:

Ok enough with the lovey-dovey stuff!!! Hab Fab’s and Clay’ reminders re the RFA list highlights one player who has kinda gone under the radar a bit.

Alexei Emelin? Is he a must sign? Approx how much? What are are his KHL bargaining chips?

Start the debate.

• Duke_Rauol says:

Maybe a 4year deal? starting at 1.5 per,with a raise in the 3rd and 4th years? I hope he stays with the Habs, big fan of Emelin.

——————————————————————-
      We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

16. steve17 says:

I am very excited after the draft! I think the Habs and Tiimins did a great job. There were players I thought they would take, but I am not disaoointed with the ones they did. I think Colbert might be the biggest surprise. Some say he is small, but he is the same height as Alfredson and just needs to add some muscle.

One thing I find ridiculous are the comments some media people have written that the Habs showed their preference for taking skill over size in taking Galchenyuk. These guys are morons and contradict themselves so much! Thrower is a “strapping” young man and 6′ but Galchenyuk lacks size at 6’1″, give me a break.

I think the future looks bright!

Habfan17

17. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Habs now have a good problem…which one of Plekanac, Deharnais or Eller do they trade? I believe Pleks will get you the most value back.
    In 2 years Gally will be a top two with DD. Leblanc would fit nicley as the # three.

• steve17 says:

I agree, since the Habs will probably not be serious contenders for at least a couple of seasons, Pleks would bring the most value andclear some cap space. DD, Eller and Leblanc are much younger and LeBlance can play and may be better suited to right wing. I would say that Gionta may also be moved, if not now, then after the 2012 season. The Habs have too many right wing prospects pushing now. When you add Galchnyuk, then the Habs have 3 solid centres and a potential 4th line faceoff specialist in Nattinen, who also has size.

Habfan17

• solomio says:

Seriously… what have you seen Leblanc do? I got my doubts that he’s got what it takes for the NHL

18. Clay says:

For the 109 people who voted “No” to the poll question – who would you rather have taken third?

Seriously. I hope one of you at least will answer this.

__________________________
    ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• HabFab says:

Clay, read thru the posts and you will notice three posters still wanting Grigorenko of which one is quite vocal plus there are those that wanted the 3rd pick traded. That adds up to 108, I’m still trying to figure out the other one ;)

• Clay says:

I just don’t get it. As far as I can tell, this was exactly the player we needed. As well, he was perhaps the best player in the entire draft, and almost certainly the best available when we picked. I fully expected we were going to have to settle for a lesser player. I’m very surprised Columbus passed on him…
        As you might be able to tell by my words, I am ecstatic with this pick.

*Edit*
        The 109th was Priceberg/DeanDally/69Habs, who wanted us to get a goalie to replace Price. Apparently he has the inside scoop, and Price is leaving the team (see bottom of this page).

__________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

I love you guys! :)

———————————–

• Clay says:

And we love you, James (in a manly, platonic sort of way!). ;)

__________________________

• HabFab says:

I hear you but remember there are still people who believe Pierre Motormouth should have been GM. It takes all types…

• habstrinifan says:

Pierre Who?…. (I hate these funny hand towels with “PM is a Monster GM”) my wife bought me.

Think I’mm gonna be a re-gifter. Hand towels anyone? Great for cleaning up after a grill session. Get it..grill session.

• HabFab says:

I don’t count you as I was at the “revival” when you converted and the heavens opened up with that heavenly choir signing hallelujah!
            :D

• JF says:

I could hardly believe it when I heard the Blue Jackets person say that they selected, “from the Western Hockey League…” I fully expected them to take Galchenyuk. I can only suppose that they were scared off by his Russian name and perhaps also by his season-long injury. They wanted a safe pick, which Ryan Murray certainly is. In fact, if Galchenyuk has completely recovered from the injury (and it seemed at the combine that he has), it may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise for us. Without it, he might have been ranked higher than Yakupov, and the Oilers would have taken him. He’s a more complete player, and some say his ceiling is higher.

• Clay says:

I agree, and so do many scouting reports I have read. Maybe for a change we were the lucky ones in the draft. Of course you (meaning Timmins) have to be a little lucky to be good.

__________________________

• bleublancrouge says:

It’s clear that 109 had morgan reilly 1st overall and would have drafted him instead of nail.

I would change my name to bluewhitered but I don’t want to start a controversy

• boing007 says:

Maybe Gaston Therrien voted 108 times.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

19. HabFab says:

Under Contract;

12 NHL players
    10 Prospects from last year (includes Leblanc)
    8 Prospects signed for this upcoming season

Total of 30 out of a possible 50 PRO contracts (team will probably start with 48 to allow for flexibility

• Habfan10912 says:

Good mirning Frank. i’m curious to see how active the club will be in signing any UFA. I would assume that they’d assume that Gomez salary will not have to be considered foe this years Cap, one way or the other.
      Love the direction the team is headed. Cheers!

———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

“i saw somewhere yesterday that MB will have all RFA signed this week. Hopefully PK and Price locked up soon.”

Would love to see the RFA’s signed this week also. Call me stupid but everyday that goes by with P.K especially being unsigned and rumours coming out of the twitter woodwork, I get a season older.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m worried about both now but doesn’t the increase in the cap make it more manageable? Might come down to years rather then money?

———————————–

• HabFab says:

He actually has to make offers to them by the end of tomorrow as per my post below. Great draft!

20. Outeast says:

Someone posted yesterday about a nickname for Galchenyuk.

We have PK
    Make him GK
    Call Markov MK

“GK back to MK over to PK. He shoots. He SCORES!!!”

What has been will be again, there is nothing new under the sun.

21. Outeast says:

What has been will be again, there is nothing new under the sun.

22. HabFab says:

NEXT UP FOR THE HABS

Marc and his team are back to work today and tomorrow, no rest for them or time to celebrate what appears to be an excellent draft.
    By the end of tomorrow, the Canadiens have to decide the future of their RFA’s. Some are no brainers (either way) while some will require some serious thought. The CBA lays out what increases are required for different salary ranges. Those that do not receive a qualifying offer become UFA’s. The list of RFA’s is as follows;

Hunter Bishop
    Carey Price
    Robert Slaney
    Frédéric St-Denis
    P.K. Subban
    Ryan White

• Cal says:

Nokelainen is the only one that really sticks out as the one the Habs let get away. Whether Emelin stays or goes may depend upon the money offered. Good problems to have because the cupboard is not as bare as it was a mere few days ago.
      Still, there is lots to do.

23. Cal says:

The positive tone around here (excepting a nut job or two) is contagious. Really looking forward to next Sunday, aka UFA Day. I’m almost giddy from this “not very deep” draft, as it shows Timmins for being the genius scout that he is. Now, we will get to see the rest of the management core in action with possible moves before and during UFA Day.
    My prediction of 2000 posts over this weekend has been easily surpassed. Great to see a lot of action and the site. The only worry is the Boone rumour.

• jwhogeveen says:

I totally agree about the positive tone Cal, I dont follow the prospects that closely but it sounds as though the Habs made out like bandits at the draft. The future looks bright

Cheers

24. rhino514 says:

Tha habs had a good draft but so did most of the other teams.
    Just like the never before seen parity on the ice, we are gettting to see more and more parity among organisations off the ice. Not many weak ones out there any more.
    What will always separate the Montreal Canadiens is the fact that hockey is so much more than just a sport in Quebec. Let´s enjoy it.

P.S. to this end, yes it would have been nice to get Matteau, and every effort should be made to try to land players who grew up locally. And, yes, of course I mean players who can play, or at least fill their role well.

25. Good Habit says:

Collberg should come over to North America and play for a CHL team. Was he drafted by a CHL team? If not, even Hamilton would be better than the SEL. Playing 3rd or 4th line minutes on big ice isn’t going to help him develop.

• Chris says:

The way it didn’t help Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen, Mats Sundin, Markus Naslund, Peter Forsberg, Henrik and Daniel Sedin, Loui Eriksson, etc.?

The CHL is a nice league to develop in. But there, your development can be distorted as you are playing guys that are much smaller, weaker and slower than professionals.

Age makes a difference. While there are more kids coming out of the CHL than the Swedish Elite League, KHL or NCAA, those other leagues have the advantage of letting the prospects develop against older players, which is a blessing in some respects.