Who will be the Habs’ first-round pick? (with Trevor Timmins audio)

To listen to what Trevor Timmins, the Canadiens’ director of amateur scouting, had to say to the media Thursday afternoon in Philadelphia, click here:

Who will the Canadiens take with their first-round draft pick?

That’s the question Habs fans are asking ahead of Friday night’s NHL Draft in Philadelphia (7 p.m., TSN, RDS) with the Canadiens holding the 26th overall pick.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin told reporters in Philadelphia Thursday that he might make a trade to move up in the first round, he might move down or he might stay at No. 26.

“If teams want to talk, we’ll listen,” Bergevin said, adding that he expects things to heat up on Friday.

Bergevin and Trevor Timmins, the team’s director of scouting, both said that the Canadiens will continue to draft the best player available, regardless of position.

Bergevin confirmed that Thomas Vanek, George Parros and Douglas Murray won’t be back next season, but he hasn’t ruled out bringing back captain Brian Gionta, Mike Weaver or Francis Bouillon. Bergevin met with P.K. Subban’s agent, Don Meehan, on Thursday to talk about a new deal for the restricted free agent.

One possible pick at No. 26 for the Canadiens is Brendan Lemieux (photo above), the son of former Canadien Claude Lemieux. The 6-foot-206-pound forward plays for the Barrie Colts in the Ontario Hockey League and is ranked No. 28 among North American skaters by NHL’s Central Scouting.

Lemieux scored 27 goals and added 26 assists for 53 points in 65 regular-season games this past season with the Colts and had a team-leading 145 penalty minutes. In 11 playoff games, he had 7-3-10 totals.

The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell spoke with Dan Marr, the NHL’s director of Central Scouting, to get his take on some of the players who might be available if the Canadiens keep the No. 26 pick.

Here’s what Marr said about Lemieux: “He can be an agitator and get under your skin, but he likes to let the other players take the penalty. He’s good at drawing penalties. But the way he plays the game, he gets into a position where he does have to defend himself. He does play with the same grit, the same passion where he does get involved and take penalties.”

Marr added that the one thing that stands out as very similar to his father is Brendan’s skating stride.

After their first round pick, the Canadiens will pick 87th overall (third round), 117th (fourth round), 125th (fifth round), 147th (fifth round), 177th (sixth round) and 207th (seventh round).

(Photo by Jeff McIntos/The Canadian Press)

One of these players could be Habs’ first-round pick, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Habs’ Bergevin ready for anything at draft, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Top NHL prospects enjoy the buildup, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Bergevin, Timmins looking forward to draft, Canadiens.com

Nine sons of former NHL players at draft, montrealgazette.com

Who’s No. 1, NHL.com

NHL Draft order of selection, NHL.com

Central Scouting rankings, NHL.com

Panthers willing to deal No. 1 pick, montrealgazette.com

Habs fans not happy with new TV schedule, by Pat Hickey

Gino Odjick’s last fight: heart disease, montrealgazette.com

Letter from Gino Odjick, vancouvercanucks.com

1,049 Comments

1. hitgurl says:

Habs cornering the market on small French guys. Any demand out there?

2. Pucknut says:

Looks like a lot of decent players are left.

3. JohnBellyful says:

Marc, Marc! I know it’s a bit late — well, not really, it will be a while before you get to pick — but here’s what I hope to see this weekend (I’m only telling you this because I know keeping Hab fans happy is a big deal with you and I didn’t want you thinking I was ignoring you).
    Anyways, I really, REALLY want the team to draft guys whose biggest upside is their offensive talent. And they can skate. Boy, can they skate.
    No more projects, unless the player is a big as a housing project, and has a nice touch around the net because he likes it there and the other team can’t move him. Not without a forklift.
    So what if they’re a bit weak on the defensive side of things right now. Isn’t that what your support staff is all about, in Montreal and Hamilton, teaching them how to defend, because you can’t teach size, you can’t teach top-notch speed, and you can’t beat seeing-eye snapshots and laser beam slapshots.
    I don’t want to sit through 25 picks, and later, bite my fingernails, waiting for you to make the rest of your choices, only to have you pick more defence.
    Yeah, character is important. But that’s where I’m counting on you and MT to work your magic — and PK to set an example for the next eight years — in turning impressionable young men in need of direction into responsible adults who know how to act at the big league level.
    Okay, I’ll let you answer the phone. It might be someone inquiring about Moen.

4. Un Canadien errant says:

New thread is up.

5. habsfan0 says:

I like the way the NHL draft is conducted where the individual team’s head office personnel(usually the GM) announces the draft selection at the podium as opposed to the NFL & NBA draft, where that league’s Commissioner makes the announcement.

It’s also nice to see that Gary Bettman doesn’t go over the top in congratulating the draftee, the way Roger Goodell embraces the player.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I have to agree, I’m not comfortable with the NFL guys hugging Roger Goodell so soon after he locked out the NFLPA.

As I said before, remove the Troll in Chief from the draft and the Cup presentations, and hire Sara Orlesky to M.C. Or Natasha Staniszewski. Or even better, both.

I would have traded a 3rd rounder to get Dorsett.

This deal makes the Kesler transaction a bit better but Vancouver got four wannabes for a stud player.

24 Cups

7. Chris says:

Alright…my prediction —

Nikolay Goldobin. I think he slides past a few teams, and he’s available for Montreal to choose.

I’m also expecting some really off the wall picks in the latter half of the first round (like the Calgary choice of Mark Jankowski in 2012). With so little consensus, it seems like a good draft for the GMs and scouts to get away with a gut pick instead of going by the book.

As for Fabbri, I’m slotting him in at #15 to Detroit.

Now I’m off to play tennis. So when I’m completely wrong on both those counts, I will come back and suffer my abuse. ;)

8. Thurston says:

Just posting a tweet…

25stanley ‏@25stanley
    Des discussions assez intenses entre les Canadiens et les Jets impliquant Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, selon Martin McGuire. #Habs #NHLJets

• Habfan17 says:

I hope it is true

Habfan17

• Chris says:

What in the blazes can we offer the Jets to get both Kane AND Bogosian. That one scares the heck out of me.

The Jets want to build a playoff team, but we don’t have many assets that can net that kind of return. Well, we have one…but I sure as heck don’t want to see that person traded.

• Habfan17 says:

Tokarski according to Bob McKenzie. Then it probably starts with Beaulieu, maybe Pleks and Gorges.

Habfan17

• Un Canadien errant says:

Marc Bergevin gets coronated as Pope of Québec if he pulls off a trade like that.

• Habfan17 says:

I think that would be a good thing! I would like it if Bergevin could make a trade to get Bogosian. He would slip in nicely on the 2nd pair. Kane, not so much. I think if MB could sign Mason Raymond for 2 or 3 years at $2 million per and then find a right wing, who knows, maybe Iginla, I would be very happy and it would be better than giving up players for the potential of Kane.

Habfan17

• Chris says:

Tokarski has limited value. Pleks has a NTC that I don’t see him waiving for Winnipeg. Maybe he’s more amenable to that than I’m giving him credit for, but Winnipeg is usually #1 on every veteran’s list of no-trade destinations.

Beaulieu makes sense as a component, but a star would have to be involved to make the Jets even contemplate moving Evander Kane. The Flyers were interested in him, but they cooled when the Jets’ were treating Kane as a 40-goal scorer. They aren’t willing to get burned on that deal, so it would be very costly.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes Chris! If it happened, I don’t think us fans would be happy with what was given up. Now if it was DD, Nygren, Beaulieu, Gorges and our first rounder, I would be okay.

Habfan17

• DipsyDoodler says:

If Bergevin trades PK I hereby vow to make Timo look like a rah-rah rose coloured glasses Hab fan.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

9. habstrinifan says:

Tampa has improved!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

10. habstrinifan says:

I thought Boone was blogging the draft!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• habsfan0 says:

He’s indisposed.
      The local Dairy Queen has a big sale tonight.

• Ron says:

It appeared earlier today on twitter that the Gazette will be doing the live blog. The only place I see it is on the Gazette itself. If you go to the top of this blog, click on The Gazette and go sports, Hockey. The option for the draft blog is there. Its not our HIO crew hosting it from what I can see. A disappointment for me..

11. slapshot777 says:

Any Habs Rumors ?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• habstrinifan says:

Lucien Deblois for assistant coach. He applied anyways.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• slapshot777 says:

Has Deblois even been involved in hockey for the past several years? We need someone that is up to date with the hockey world and the attitudes of the younger players. I would prefer a coach from the Junior Leagues preferably someone like Gallant who also has NHL experience.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Un Canadien errant says:

from Wikipedia:

He was the original coach and GM of Moncton’s first QMJHL franchise in 1995–1996, the Moncton Alpines. The team underwent many financial problems and was acquired by the Irving Family in 1996. They later became known as the Moncton Wildcats of that same league. DeBlois later became an assistant coach with the Kansas City Blades in the IHL for two seasons.

DeBlois currently serves as a professional scout with the Vancouver Canucks, and currently resides in Montreal.

• slapshot777 says:

Thank-you for clearing that up.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• boing007 says:

How about the coach of Shawinigan?

Richard R

• Habfan17 says:

Someone mentioned Adam Oates at one point. I think he would be a good addition.

Habfan17

12. GrosBill says:

A third for Dorsett.

I am sure this has been discussed already on here, but seems like a steep price to pay for Dorsett.

13. Colombiahabs says:

In theory we should already have that number 1 centre we all so badly want. Galchenyuck has been sheltered long enough. Lets see what the kid can do already. For all we know we have one of the best centres in the league playing wing on the third line.