Who will be the Habs’ first-round pick? (with Trevor Timmins audio)

To listen to what Trevor Timmins, the Canadiens’ director of amateur scouting, had to say to the media Thursday afternoon in Philadelphia, click here:

Who will the Canadiens take with their first-round draft pick?

That’s the question Habs fans are asking ahead of Friday night’s NHL Draft in Philadelphia (7 p.m., TSN, RDS) with the Canadiens holding the 26th overall pick.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin told reporters in Philadelphia Thursday that he might make a trade to move up in the first round, he might move down or he might stay at No. 26.

“If teams want to talk, we’ll listen,” Bergevin said, adding that he expects things to heat up on Friday.

Bergevin and Trevor Timmins, the team’s director of scouting, both said that the Canadiens will continue to draft the best player available, regardless of position.

Bergevin confirmed that Thomas Vanek, George Parros and Douglas Murray won’t be back next season, but he hasn’t ruled out bringing back captain Brian Gionta, Mike Weaver or Francis Bouillon. Bergevin met with P.K. Subban’s agent, Don Meehan, on Thursday to talk about a new deal for the restricted free agent.

One possible pick at No. 26 for the Canadiens is Brendan Lemieux (photo above), the son of former Canadien Claude Lemieux. The 6-foot-206-pound forward plays for the Barrie Colts in the Ontario Hockey League and is ranked No. 28 among North American skaters by NHL’s Central Scouting.

Lemieux scored 27 goals and added 26 assists for 53 points in 65 regular-season games this past season with the Colts and had a team-leading 145 penalty minutes. In 11 playoff games, he had 7-3-10 totals.

The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell spoke with Dan Marr, the NHL’s director of Central Scouting, to get his take on some of the players who might be available if the Canadiens keep the No. 26 pick.

Here’s what Marr said about Lemieux: “He can be an agitator and get under your skin, but he likes to let the other players take the penalty. He’s good at drawing penalties. But the way he plays the game, he gets into a position where he does have to defend himself. He does play with the same grit, the same passion where he does get involved and take penalties.”

Marr added that the one thing that stands out as very similar to his father is Brendan’s skating stride.

After their first round pick, the Canadiens will pick 87th overall (third round), 117th (fourth round), 125th (fifth round), 147th (fifth round), 177th (sixth round) and 207th (seventh round).

(Photo by Jeff McIntos/The Canadian Press)

One of these players could be Habs’ first-round pick, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Habs’ Bergevin ready for anything at draft, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Top NHL prospects enjoy the buildup, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Bergevin, Timmins looking forward to draft, Canadiens.com

Nine sons of former NHL players at draft, montrealgazette.com

Who’s No. 1, NHL.com

NHL Draft order of selection, NHL.com

Central Scouting rankings, NHL.com

Panthers willing to deal No. 1 pick, montrealgazette.com

Habs fans not happy with new TV schedule, by Pat Hickey

Gino Odjick’s last fight: heart disease, montrealgazette.com

Letter from Gino Odjick, vancouvercanucks.com

1,049 Comments

1. habstrinifan says:

TSN690 says Canadiens table now occupied.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

2. Habfan17 says:

I wonder if Bettman would prefer that teams hold off until the drat starts to announce the trades. It would make it more exciting to watch.

Habfan17

3. habstrinifan says:

TSN saying ‘No one’ at Canadiens table yet… Canadiens still in backroom discussion?… Good!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

4. C_Carta says:

Just seen on twitter that the #1 pick is seriously in play, with Vancouver making a serious pitch. Sedins maybe?

• Rugger says:

Why would FLA want two aging players that have nowhere to go but down in performance for a #1 overall. 3-4 years ago, maybe – not now.

• Chris says:

Elliote Friedman had the Canucks offering their #6, Hunter Shinkaruk (their #24 from last season) plus a roster forward for the #1 pick. Now they could offer Anaheim’s pick instead of that roster forward, which might make their offer more attractive.

I know their defence is getting old, but they really seem to want Ekblad.

I would NOT be happy with Florida getting the #6 plus Shinkaruk. If they get another first rounder or a good young forward out of it as well, I am concerned given that they are a divisional rival and they are building up quite a pool of elite prospects.

• ont fan says:

Heard Florida doesn’t want to go down more than 4 spots.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, the Sabres and the Panthers might be the teams we worry about the next couple of years.

The Canucks have only two righties on their blueline. Adding Aaron Ekblad and subtracting Jason Garrison from the left side, and his cap hit, scratches a lot of itches.

The Canucks haven’t had a stud #1 defenceman drafted high since forever, offhand maybe since Bryan Allen, and he never panned out, and was a throw-in on the Roberto Luongo trade to Florida.

There’s also the pain about Luc Bourdon, who the team and fans were hoping would turn into this face-of-the-franchise guy.

So I don’t discount the Aaron Ekblad rumours, but also the Sam Reinhart rumours, he’s a centreman who can play next year, and a local boy from North Van.

5. habstrinifan says:

P.k. 7MILL FOR 8 YRS.. would be good for both parties…dont you think? And it is not beyond realm of reason.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

6. PK says:

Should we expect to see “salary dumps” given the 69M figure?
    Briere?
    Hope to see a long term contract for Subban.
    Another two or three year contract may mean adios.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

7. Habilis says:

OK, so it could be way, way worse.

“Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs
    NHL & NHLPA announce upper limit for salary cap is $69M for next season. Means B’s have roughly $5.7M to sign roughly 6 players. Ouch.”

For some reason, I feel no sympathy whatsoever.

• Chris says:

I think one of McQuaid or Boychuk are on the market, and possibly Marchand as well. They obviously re-sign Krug, but that is going to cost $2-3 million right there, and Reilly Smith is probably another $1.5-2.5 million (I’m playing hardball with both guys to keep it that low).

Joe Morrow should be ready for promotion after a solid AHL season, and he’ll be cheap.

• mark-ID says:

This would be perfect time to pitch an offer to Reily Smith.

Also I think it would be hard to get Reily Smith for under 2mil, he just came off a 51 point season. Man, they are screwed….this is awsome :)

8. Mr. Biter says:

Just back from fishing trip. Did we sign any of our UFA or RFA’s besides Markov?
    Also I have no relatives playing soccer for Uruguay.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• habsfan0 says:

The Habs gave Bouillon a 7 year $50m extension.

• PK says:

You should trademark your user name.
      Plenty of Suarez fans who may want that name on their soccer shirts.
      Not to mention all the zombies on The Walking Dead.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Dunboyne Mike says:

We have a psychotic budgie called Tiki, for some reason believes he’s a piranha.

He was officially renamed Suarez this week.

9. Kooch7800 says:

A funny video of Dorsett thinking he can hold his own against John Scott….didn’t go so well

10. krob1000 says:

69 million cap??? really?? um Pk….so remember we wanted you to make what PRicey made…that is your offer.

• bwoar says:

This should make things more interesting, though I expect 8M will still be the magic number for PK.

• Chris says:

Why are people surprised? Bettman basically said that was the number back before the playoffs.

• Habfan17 says:

So, not where it was speculated to go up to! That will hurt the Bruins even more, and a few other teams. Pk will still get what he gets. I wonder now if Bergevin will pull his offer to Gionta! If he has made one.

Habfan17

• Forum Dog says:

They are gonna at least have to pay him the extra $8M he didn’t make under his bridge contract. So, $6.5M x 8 + $8M = $7.5M/annually. And I think they’ll be lucky to get him for that. Like Bwoar says, I think $8M is the magic number….

Not sure where the $69M cap comes from. Isn’t that about $2M less than everyone expected?

• Chris says:

People were projecting $71.1 million back in December, but they didn’t take into account the falling Canadian dollar. Bettman was predicting a cap of $69-70 million (down from their long-term $74 million projection from the summer before) back in April.

11. Habilis says:

“Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
    Correct info from @capgeek. Cap is $69M”

Ruh Roh.

Timmons will pick 7 players with best growth upside and character.
    6 or 7 years from now we will know if he hit a few home runs or not.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

13. UKRAINIANhab says:

My biggest pet peeve is when the General Manager gets up there and goes…

“We would like to thank _____________, for there Hospitality, We would like to congratulate the ______________, for winning the cup this year, This is our Head Scout _____________, he will make the pick for us this year”. Blah blah blah blah.

Get up there and say the damn name so this draft could be over in 5 hours less time…

14. krob1000 says:

It really is too bad Bolland is making ridiculous demands and is so injury prone….HE is an ideal target for Montreal…if priced reasonably…he could fill Pleks spot AND as a RH center. HE could be had for only money and then teeam could move Pleks and net a decent return likely.

15. Maritime Ronn says:

When one looks at the Canucks and what they are doing, could the Sedins be next – either this year, or possibly next year?
    ( New GM Jim Benning came from the Bruins…)

Yes, here is understanding the concepts of Longevity, Marketing, and Leadership, yet perhaps PK Subban said it best about the notion of Leadership:
    ” Leadership is about what you do on the ice, not in the Dressing Room.”

As crazy as that suggestion would appear, these 2 – soon to be 34 year old Sedins, are in obvious decline and have 4 more years of a combined $14M Cap Hit.

They have a lot of miles on those bodies including playoffs and are now more prone to injury.
    The remaining cast of forwards on the ‘Nucks will be weak at best, and they will become further targets.

The Sedins have ‘been’ terrific hockey players and had a wonderful opportunity to create a lasting legacy for Vancouver in 2010 with a Cup winning Game 7 Home game, yet they failed.

The legacy may be one of players that could not fight back and find ways to battle and win many playoff series and the Cup – the Marchand face punches with no reply, being the picture that told a 1000 words.

Trading partners may be difficult to find as a team MUST take the 2 of them.
    $14M Cap Hit for the next 4 years for players in obvious decline could also be problematic.
    Their Marketability in the USA – and not being American born, may also be difficult as their media/off ice persona is almost nil.

• Habfan17 says:

Sounds like a Job for Garth Snow!! Yashin is coming off the books they need players to replace him!!!

Habfan17

• bwoar says:

You nailed it, they have to both be traded. I consider the Sedins untradeable for that reason. No team is gonna take on aging stars at that cap hit now that the decline is setting in. Well, maybe the Rangers.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m always going to stick up for Daniel Sedin over Brad Marchand, so ‘ptooey’ on that notion for their legacy, it’s a black eye for the NHL instead of the Sedins, but yeah, they’re a really poor fit for a rebuilding team, and almost impossible to trade with that cap hit.

I remember when that extension was announced, everyone seemed to shrug and agree that the contract was reasonable for players of that calibre and history with that franchise. I just winced and went along. “If you say so…”

• bwoar says:

Like it or not, that series is going to follow them, and remain an example of why your best players need protection or their own ability to retaliate. (And yes a black eye on the NHL!)

• Chris says:

I’m not sure I buy the serious decline bit. They had a bad year last year, as did the entire Canucks franchise, but the season before that was respectable.

Henrik had 11 goals and 45 points in 48 games, pretty much in line with what he has been doing in recent seasons, with the exception of the two big years (2009-10, 2010-11). Daniel had 12 goals and 40 points in 47 games, a little off his usual pace.

The Canucks had no left wingers that could really play with the Sedins. Burrows was injured and had a terrible year. Higgins doesn’t really fit with their style of play. If they could add a reasonably speedy forward who likes to crash the net to the Sedin line, I think they can easily rebound. The big problem in Vancouver was that their defence fell apart and the Luongo situation was a massive distraction. If Edler rebounds and their PP numbers come up, the Sedins still have 2-3 good years in them.

They won’t likely hit 90 or 100 points again, but 70-80 is well within their wheelhouse and would still leave them as top-20 scorers in the league.

• bwoar says:

It shouldn’t be so bleedin’ hard to find a player to play with them. I always thought Gillis was inept for this, among other things.

• Chris says:

It is especially maddening, because they play a VERY North American game, cycling in the offensive zone while trying to open up lanes. Just get a guy who can skate and who goes to the net…a left-handed Gallagher-esque player would do great on that line.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Daniel Sedin plays left wing, so they need a right winger.

Jarome Iginla would be absolutely perfect.

• Chris says:

Gallagher would be perfect then. I have no idea why, but I always picture Daniel playing his off-wing. :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

They love Brendan in Vancouver, lots of shoulda coulda woulda’s, and they’d love to have him, but I don’t think we’d get much back in trade. They’re trying to get bigger, everyone understands that a Wayne Simmonds or similar big type of player is what would be ideal. Alex Burrows was so the wrong fit, agitator who caused problems but couldn’t take care of them. Heck, Dustin Byfuglien would be awesome, a huge guy that no one would mess with, and can wreak havoc like he did for the ‘Hawks against the Canucks.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Chrispedia

Where can we wager the bet of the Sedins doing 70 points again?
        I’ll bet 5 dollars a point.
        If they are over 70 points, I pay you $5 a point.
        Under, and you pay me.
        Injuries do not apply…because that is a part of the equation.

I’ll go out on the limb.
        I’ll pay you TWICE the bet if the are over.
        Now remember, It was you that made the prediction…

Meh…never bet money.

If I’m wrong, I’ll happily fess up to it. But I wouldn’t count the Sedins as dead quite yet, Henrik especially.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Daniel has never been the same since the concussion he suffered on that hit by Douchecan Keith.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Crispedia

I ‘bet’ that was going to be the answer…

• Chris says:

Duncan Keith is borderline Brad Marchand territory for me. I know he is a great player, but he is a complete clown.

• Chris says:

Given that I will be unemployed in a couple of months and have been living on 4 month contracts for years now, Ron, I hope you can understand why I’ve adopted a policy of never betting money.

It’s a new world order…I don’t even know where I’m going to live come September 1st. But I don’t need to put my “money where my mouth is”. I stand behind my Sedin comments, quite happily.

And I will just as happily admit if I am wrong if it doesn’t happen. I’ve had no problem doing so in the past.

• Maritime Ronn says:

@ chris

In all fairness, I did not know that.
            Please know you are always a great read from here – extremely knowledgeable with great insight.

I know a bunch of ‘decision’ people at Dal. in NS.
            Would that ever interest you?

Of course before hand, some due diligence would be necessary…

Let me know…via Ian.
            He has my coordinates

• Chris says:

Ron: No worries. It is just a brutal academic market right now, so I am exploring my exit plans. With increasing usage of the internet to deliver teaching, I think education at the college and university level is a dead end. Every university system in the Western world is in austerity mode right now, but we’re churning out more Master’s and Doctorates than ever before, so the competition has just gotten fierce.

Something will come up…just have to be patient and grab the opportunity when it presents itself.

Love it. DrunkenBoastfulWagersInsideOut.

We should make more side bets like these. I have some friends who have a bewildering number of bets going when they watch Monday Night Football. Everything is fair game.

“Five that the next play is a pass?”

“Deal.”

Money gets shuffled around on the bartop. 49’ers run the ball.

“Run.”

Money gets shuffled around, from one pile to another.

“Let’s offset that with the yardage total for Kapernik this quarter.”

“Triple ladle.”

Money gets shuffled.

“You Boston (they don’t say Boston, but a word that sounds close enough to that), how dare you ladle me on that. I’ll use the over/under as my space-saver on that one, but you can’t carjack.”

Same money, different pile.

And so on. It gives you a headache. And I made up a lot of the words, but that’s what it sounds like, jargon-y gobbledygook.

16. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The only two ways I can see FLA trading the number one pick are:
    1) one for one for another team’s star (e.g., Evander Kane, JVR, etc.)
    2) a top 10 pick this year plus an established young star prospect

It will all depend on how much the Panthers like Ekbland. All I know is that if they didn’t like Seth Jones last year, not sure about Ekbland.

17. Un Canadien errant says:

Pierre LeBrun on TEAM 1040 Vancouver:

– Vancouver isn’t adding to their win totals next season, unless they get an upgrade in nets. Full scale rebuild is on, despite the Sedin brothers being on the roster.

– No legs to the JVR to FLA rumour.

– Price on Jason Spezza is way too high, even with Ryan Kesler now gone, since a high bidder in Anaheim is now out of the market. Chicago doesn’t want to add that much salary.

– If Flyers obtain Evander Kane, it has to be a whopper of a trade, where the Jets have no regrets. They think he’s a fourty goal scorer, won’t gift him to anyone.

Flyers are making cap room with Scott Hartnell trade, and trying to dump Vincent Lecavalianchorer.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• bwoar says:

Thumbs up on all of that. It’s a yead late for the Canucks, but, glad they committed. The West is more fun to watch when at least one Canadian team isn’t a joke.

Kane for Giroux? Not sure what exactly the Philthy Phlyers could offer the Jets? Mostly, nothing.

18. Hobie says:

Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 14m

Maloney said this move was purely about behavioral issues and not cost-saving move. Ribeiro has been seeking help this summer, Maloney said.

19. Habfan17 says:

I am glad that Bergevin did not trade for Garrison. Will he make a trade? Who knows!!

Habfan17

• bwoar says:

Same here, Garrison makes 2M a year too much.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I hope he does, something to talk about.

• bwoar says:

Considering what’s gone down today, I’m pretty OK talking about the other teams’ trades; nobody moved so far that I’m sad to see go elsewhere.

I think this will continue straight into tomorrow night. I expect there to be a “losers market” of teams who didn’t get the guy they wanted but are looking to settle. Kinda like the people looking around the bar for scraps at 2am.

20. bwoar says:

JVR to FLA for their 1st ?!?! Did I just hear that?
    Nah, just a rumour.

• Forum Dog says:

I cannot imagine that JVR would warrant the 1st overall pick. That just doesn’t make sense. JVR is good, but Ekblad could be great. Maybe if Florida get TO’s pick in return and have decided they will take a player further down.

JVR and Huberdeau could make a pretty good line though….

• bwoar says:

I think he’d be a good start. I’m not sure they’re gonna get a better player, or much younger one either.

• krob1000 says:

hmmm…Pacioretty is better. Would you trade PAcioretty for the 1st overall pick? if you were Fla would you trade the 1st overall pick for Pacioretty?

• bwoar says:

I’d keep Pacioretty, hands down. I’ve said a few nasty things about him this year, and I was wrong. If I were Florida, I’d probably keep the pick if it was straight up, but be sorely, sorely tempted.

21. Chris says:

How’s this for a trade proposal…Buffalo trades for Chris Pronger. The Flyers get cap relief that they desperately want, Buffalo chews up some cap space without actually getting any better, which they desperately want. They are full-in for McDavid next year.

• shiram says:

Considering Pronger is on IR, it would not really affect either team’s cap, no?

• Chris says:

It is complicated, but teams have to play games to work LTIR into their salary cap. When they do it, they have very little wiggle room for trades and call-ups throughout the season, because they effectively have to build their roster right to the cap from Day 1, which can be a very challenging thing to do. You see some weird call-ups and demotions on the last day of training camp as the capologists try to work some magic and get as much breathing space as possible.

Savard’s LTIR was part of the reason why Boston ended up with the overage penalty this season…they tried to play the game, but they got burned.

• Un Canadien errant says:

If the NHL wasn’t a clown college of a league, it would step in and nullify that technicality of a trade, but things being what they are, nice idea.

• Chris says:

It isn’t really any different than trading expiring contracts in the NBA or some of the stuff that goes on in the NFL. This kind of stuff happens all the time in professional sports. The NHL is probably the least active in that regard.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Can’t trade an injured player.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

22. durocher says:

I’m happy we didn’t get Garrison — he has a big cap hit and barely hits for a guy his size.

How about Emelin, Budaj, and Nygren to DC for Brouwer and Galiev?

23. Un Canadien errant says:

Canucks trade a third-round pick to Rangers for goon Derek Dorsett, according to TEAM 1040.

———————————————————————-
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

DOG !
    Plekanec will be around our team for a few years yet my friend. He is are best two way and special teams player. Why would we weaken our squad by moving him.??

• Chris says:

His best years are behind him, the team has a log-jam of centres, and he’s the only asset they have that carries enough trade value to land what they need, a goal-scoring forward.

Plekanec plus one of the defence prospect plus some other stuff gives them a good package to work with. But now they’ve got to find somebody willing to deal.

• bwoar says:

Chicago. For Sharp. Please?

• Chris says:

Doesn’t work. Chicago will want cheap, top-end talent for Sharp. He’s a victim of the cap, so they can’t afford another high-price player in return, especially one that is a significant downgrade in talent.

Sharp may get traded this weekend, but it won’t be to Montreal.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You don’t trade a 6mill Sharpe for a 5mill Pleks…that simple. It is amazing how people over rate Plekanec.

• knob says:

Desharnias is easier to move. He puts up more points, has a lower salary and does not have a no-trade clause in his contract. Plus Montreal has two centres that can do what Desharnais does and that is Eller and Galchenyuk. Give Galchenyuk Desharnais’ role and Galchenyuk would put up a lot more points.

• Chris says:

Note the part where I discussed value. Plekanec, as a good defensive player, would be of significant value to a contender that is shallow in centres (Pittsburgh comes to mind).

Desharnais is a good offensive player, but he can only be a top-6 guy. That makes him valuable only to re-building teams, and they wouldn’t really want him.

• knob says:

The value in moving Desharnais is in the opportunity to allow Galchenyuk to move to centre. Keep Eller and Plekanec as the 2-3 centres. I think that a trio of Galchenyuk, Eller and Plekanec is better than a trio that includes Desharnais at the expense of either Plekanec or Eller. I could care less what the return on Desharnais is…just get him out of the way already.

25. shiram says:

James MirtleVerified account ‏@mirtle

Coyotes buyout Mike Ribeiro.

Also this :
    #Canucks acquire RW Derek Dorsett from NYR for 85th pick in this year’s draft.

26. knob says:

Mike Green and Brooks Laich for Gorges, Desharnais and 3rd round pick.

27. habs001 says:

A lot of knowlegable posters here who follow junior have posted at least 10+ player names that would be a great pick up for the Habs..But that means the other 9+ will go to other teams and that is not counting the better quality players in the top 10…So the reality is that that a lot of the teams will do better or as well as the Habs in their drafting so the Habs are not gaining on most teams in the first round…

• shiram says:

Late round picks are interesting, and Timmins found some gems in them before.
      You can’t win against every team, if you compare to the other 29 teams, especially in the first round.

28. shiram says:

Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres

NBC’s Pierre McGuire says #Canucks might have cleared cap space to try & acquire #Sabres D Tyler Myers. $5.5M cap hit, 5 yrs remaining.

• Chris says:

I don’t know what they could possibly be sending to Buffalo in return. And that would put Buffalo even further in the hole when it comes to getting to the salary cap floor. Losing Myers would put them $23 million below the floor…they do have a number of guys to re-sign, but given their youth movement…they need to pick up a couple of BIG salaries if they are going to get where they need to be.

• Habfan17 says:

I think McGuire is off. I heard that Detroit was interested. In either case, Chris makes a great point, unless the Canucks or Red Wings are sending players with high cap hits, they would need to sign a few UFA’s to reach the floor. Let’s see if they would take Briere and Nygren for one of their second round picks.

Habfan17

29. Donkey Hoat says:

Gino Odjick apparently diagnosed with something terminal. Saw this on the TV here at Pearson airport.

30. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Substitute “Vancouver for Buffalo” and Danes/Swiss for Austrians and enjoy

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

31. CH Marshall says:

I hope I’m not the only one feeling nervous about Subban..

32. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe:

…“We have a trade to announce” has become Bettman’s go-to catchphrase when a deal is struck during the NHL draft; they’re the words he uses to inform fans that they’re going to want to stop booing him…

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Thurston says:

Personally, I enjoy the waving of the hand Bettman sometimes does during it. I interpret it as him mocking the fans with him thinking “yeah, so what, morons? It’s another trade. Settle down.”

• bwoar says:

His announcements are the only reason to watch the draft.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Disagree. I cringe when he’s on, he’s almost enough of a reason for me to avoid one of my favourite days of the year.

Get his ugly mug off my TV, and get Sarah Orlesky or Kate Beirness to officiate as the host.

• bwoar says:

Eh, I’ll take Sara on my TV anytime instead of GB. But I like to watch him getting booed and his awesome reactions. I don’t hate him as much as the rest of the hockey world; he’s fun to hate a bit and fun to watch how he deals with the hate. WAY more interesting than the player / scout / GM interviews and the idiot talking heads for 3 hours.

• Habfan17 says:

Yeah, and he starts with. ” I think you will want to hear this!”

Habfan17

33. BJ says:

This came in:
    The Vancouver Canucks continued their busy day of dealing, sending defenceman Jason Garrison to the Tampa Bay Lightning along with the rights to Jeff Costello in exchange for the 50th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.

Tampa also receives Vancouver’s seventh-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft in the deal.

34. Un Canadien errant says:

TEAM 1040 announces that Jason Garrison has been traded to Tampa.

In return for 2nd round pick, 50th overall. There are other details.

EDIT: Canucks also get rights to Jeff Costello.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• shiram says:

#Canucks acquire 50th overall pick from Tampa Bay for Jason Garrison, the rights to Jeff Costello and Van’s 7th round pick in 2015.

• Forum Dog says:

Kesler and Garrison out;

Bonino and Sbisa in;

It makes sense right. Save themselves about $6M in salary. You have to assume they are gonna try and bring someone in, but maybe they are in for a wholesale rebuild?

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I would have wanted for Garisson to come here. However, since he chose TBL, I guess we’ll have to look for another Dman.

If the Habs are going to shop either Gorges or Emelin, I’ll go back to what I said b4 on June 16th. To me, these are the Dman mgmt. should pursue (based on the UFA market):

Matt Niskanen – 10 goals, 36 assists, 46 points – $2.5 million this season with PIT (problem is, he shoots right, not left like Marky)

Andrej Meszároš – 7 goals, 15 assists, 22 points – $5.5 million this season with both PHI and BOS.

BTW, if Mike Weaver is leaning on testing free agency come July 1st, why not get both a LD and RD a.s.a.p. instead of scratching heads on who to take?

35. on2ndthought says:

Even though the Ducks get the best player, I think the Canucks did well in that trade. Anaheim may be able to shield Kesler more, and Van will miss his toughness he brought when suited up, but that’s two regular shifts traded for the type of player that often peaks young and declines fast.

“a cannonading drive”

36. Forum Dog says:

For those who follow the Frontenacs:

What about this McKeown kid? Stats read pretty well, and he’s reportedly a very good skater. Solidly built as well.

Habs don’t really need more d-men, but they might be in “best player available” mode by pick 26….

• krob1000 says:

I only made it to a few games…I can tell you that last year he was being projected as being apossible top 10 pick in this NHL draft. His stock has fallen significantly, he is a smooth skater and makes smart plays. I saw someone on here suggesting he is a RH Nathan Beaulieu and that is probably a decent comparison….maybe not quite as skilled but probably more versaitle in he is used in all situations. He is a guy who should be an NHLer…likely a number 3/4 guy IMO but has potential to possibly be more…hard to say…dmen are tricky animals. I was at one game and he was dominant…can’t say I even noticed him at the others…but that may be a good thing sometimes for a dman….especailly one who is working on tightening his game for the next level. I would not take him at 26 though. With what Montreal has in pipeline on Right side..I think I would pass. Montreal RH need is for this year and next year mainly…afteer that there should start to be some help from within.

• jctremblay says:

I like him..but agree with krob’s comments in general. Doug Gilmour just loves the kid. I was fortunate to have a conversation with Doug when I was contemplating buying season tickets and he was/is very high on the player..I think we have bigger needs but if he’s the best player available, I don’t think we’d be drafting anything other than a very solid NHL’er…lots of good buzz about him from scouts as well.

• Forum Dog says:

@krob/JCT – Thanks! Any player picked that late in the first round has a hill to climb, and I agree that the Habs aren’t in need of another RH d-man prospect. Just thinking that if he is an under-the-radar type of player who has good upside, he might be worth adding to the stockpile. Also not sure how well MTL scouts Ontario so he may not be on their draft list.

37. Un Canadien errant says:

Tony Gallagher: Minor-league Canucks get fleeced by major-league Ducks in Kesler deal

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Paz says:

I guess a lot depends on how you view Bonino, because either last year was a fluke or last year was a breakout season for him.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t see how they got fleeced. Bonino looked bloody good both years in the playoffs and last year in the regular season. Plus they got a D man and a 1st rounder. It is a capped league with parity. What do people expect anymore

• bwoar says:

Tony Gallagher’s opinion is one to be taken in small doses, or not at all.

• BJ says:

I went to school with Tony Gallagher back in 1961-62 at Vancouver College. Met up with him again at the 1988 Olympics in Calgary, he was covering the games as a journalist and I was doing photos. He was a bit of a loner and not particularly positive. He seems to crave some negativity. I don’t think the Canucks did too badly. Each team seems to over estimate his players value.

• Un Canadien errant says:

He does have that crotchety, whiny tone when he’s on TV opining on the Canucks. Thanks for the insight.

I’m not relying on him as support for my opinion, just posted his column as a reflection of what the reaction in Vancouver might be.

38. Maritime Ronn says:

2 hours ago
    @TSNBobMcKenzie: Hearing TB and MTL as potential landing spots for Garrison. TB was interested in Garrison when he was UFA and chose VAN.

39. Trollhunter says:

Dear MB,
    Please draft this kid if he is still available at 26. Just gonna throw this out there too: he`s an 18 year old captain in the chl… talk about character.

S G

40. UKRAINIANhab says:

Anyone else a bit “meh” about the draft this year…

26th pick I could care less really…

It was fun when we took Galchenyuk 3rd.

41. Arnou Ruelle says:

Is Trevor Linden and Jim Benning really rebuilding the Vancouver Canucks? If Kesler trade are for some players that show no depth, why would he even make a move on Garisson?

42. UKRAINIANhab says:

If Kesler went for that…

Pleks won’t be moved this year, it is better to keep him than trade him for a 2nd round pick

• Forum Dog says:

I would trade Plekanec for a 2nd overall pick in a heartbeat. But I get your point….

• CJ says:

There is no possible way we could ever turn Pleks into a second overall pick. Not a chance.

I am still holding out hope that we can move one of Pleks or DD though. My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not make the playoffs.

• Paz says:

People here are still dreaming of the days when Plekanec put up a ton of points. That was 5 seasons ago. He’s not that player today.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

My goal happens to be to win the Stanley cup as well…

I think everyones is…

A 2nd round pick…may not even make the NHL. Anyways…

• CJ says:

The original question was a 2nd overall pick, in which case I would trade Pleks in a heatbeat. You can’t get so attached to players. I like Tinordi, but if there was a chance to upgrade the team and he is the asset going the other way, then so be it.

We are NOT going to win a Stanley Cup with DD and Pleks as our 1 and 2 centres. Maybe if Pleks takes on a shutdown role as our third line centre, provided Eller and Chucky can absord the larger minutes and added responsibilities. Even if everyone plays to the best of their abilities, I am still not sure if we have the correct composition to win a Cup.

• Habfan17 says:

I am of the opinion that the Habs need to take some steps to be better for the play offs and Pleks is not a play off player. I think he would get the Habs a player they need more than the lose it would be not to have him. I say if the right deal presents itself, take it!

Habfan17

43. Un Canadien errant says:

Like a lot of teams, the Canucks already have a surplus of lefties on the blueline, Kevin Bieksa and Chris Tanev are the only righties. Yannick Weber is RFA and technically on the roster, but it’s questionable that he’ll be retained. He spent a lot of the year in the pressbox, or as the #7 defenceman who sees PP duty and a few minutes on the fourth line.

Taking this into account, it makes sense that Jason Garrison is rumoured to be moving. He’s an expensive leftie, and trading him would free up cap-space, and be another of the moves to shake up the roster that John Tortorella argued was necessary.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• NightRyder says:

Garrison’s point bomb would mesh well with Subban’s. However, he’s got some lingering groin issues that just won’t seem to go away. Really affected his skating. Plus, he’s like Emelin in that he has a hard time playing on his “wrong” side.

44. shiram says:

Dreger says Ribeiro might get bought out in Phoenix.

Vancouver just traded one of their stud players for three wannabes.

It’s now official, the Canucks are history.

Anaheim get a huge upgrade on Koivu and still pick 10th in the draft tonight. Talk about asset management. Of course it helps when the player being traded basically holds out for two teams. That’s the dark side of no movement clauses.

24 Cups

• CJ says:

Getzlaf and Kessler as your 1 and 2 or DD and Pleks. Not that is the real question…..

• bwoar says:

I don’t think as highly of Kesler as some, I guess. And yeah, he used his NMC to screw the team. Van shouldn’t grabbed the 10th overall; perhaps they are still in “win now” (?) mode and wanted a centre right away?

• Kooch7800 says:

Kesler has not reached over 50 points since 2011. He is 31 and they replaced him with a player who will match his point totals and is 5 years younger, a stay at home physical D man and a 1st round pick.

Let’s face it the Nucks are not contenders anymore

No offense to Kesler but when you play the style he plays you don’t get better with age.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not that impressed with the return either. People here were dreaming of Devante Smith-Pelley, and the 10th overall pick.

Jim Benning made noise that if he didn’t get any good offers, he’d hang on to him, but obviously that was sabre-rattling, he didn’t want the distractions that would cause.

I agree that when a player has a NMC, but requests a trade, he needs to give his GM options, at least 10 or 12 destinations he’d accept.

46. CJ says:

Good afternoon.

The Kessler move to Anaheim doesn’t hurt the Canucks as much as it hurts the Ottawa Senators. Why you ask? Well, the list of teams interested in Jason Spezza just decreased by one. If the salary cap is in fact projected to be in the vicinity of $68 million dollars, the Senators could be left without a chair when the music stops. St. Louis locked up Berglund, who was rumoured to be a key piece in a deal to Ottawa.

IMO, the reason why we didn’t get a draft pick for the rights to negotiate with Vanek is because A) Vanek has tipped his hat, revealing his interest in playing for the Wild B) the market might not be as lucrative as originally thought.

So far as I am concerned, anyone making a long term play for either Moulson or Vanek will get burned. These are not the kind of guys who drive offences. They are complimentary pieces, who, if in the right place on the right line, can contribute. But, they are not the offensive catalysts that they are being dipicted as.

I know, I know, I was told yesterday that it’s not all about the money. I agree with that – to a point. Sure, there might not be a considerable difference between $6.5 and $6 million per season, however Vanek has already walked away from a reported $50 million offer from the Islanders, over 7 years. So, if he signs for less then $6 million annually (a difference of over $1 million per year), then I think its a major miscalculation. I’ve been to games in both Uniondale and St. Paul. I have to tell you, for what its worth, St. Paul would not be my preferred destination. I love walleye, and don’t mind snowmobiling, and the shopping was pretty decent, but…..

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think Thomas Vanek’s rights were worthless because he told three teams this season that he wanted to go to July 1. No team realistically would think they could get an edge by getting his rights before then.

• CJ says:

Personally, I would never trade a pick for the right to negotiate, exclusively, with a team. Considering the new format, I believe that trading a draft pick for the rights to negotiate should be a thing of the past. That said, so long as Garth Snow is in the league, it might still happen.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Very true. Only advantage might be when a team misses the playoffs, that would give a suitor a couple of months with the rights. If they think they have a fit with the player, it might make sense. But not a couple days before July 1, or the five-day window before, that won’t work anymore.

47. bwoar says:

Pretty even trade for Kesler. Canucks get a mini-Kesler replacement centre and a reasonable 2nd-pair D. 50 cents for 2 quarters, but considering the Canucks really needed to improve the backend, this is a decent result for them.

• CJ says:

I don’t mind the deal. Hard to negotiate terms when there is a gun to your head. When the player has narrowed his choice, there isn’t a great deal of leverage for his host organization to deal with.

I wouldn’t like it if Pacioretty demanded a trade and advised that he would only go to one of two divisional rivals. So, using that as an example, you could see how the return would not be, potentially, as good as if Montreal had the ability to shop his services across the league.

So, with all that said, they got a decent return under the circumstances. I am not sure how accurate it might be, but the reported offer from the Penguins seemed much more lucrative.

The two things I dislike the most are getting together to make a real blue and white stink to high heaven. Spezza and the Leaf’s , I love it, I can taste the barf from here!!

49. sirs81 says:

PK to Florida for the 1st and player coming up soon

50. FormalWare says:

According to Twitter pundits, Kesler deal to Anaheim as good as done.

Great! Now Habs can deal Pleks to Van for Edler or Bieksa.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

PK did not take the offer! Next move is PK’s. How bad does he want to stay? We will see what moves take place on the draft floor tonight!
    Markov showed he wanted to stay and stay he shall.!

Bergevin and Timmons have the best staff and hockey people around them in the whole NHL.
    No pressure on me to guess how the Hab’s get better for next year. I have all the confidence in them to get us there.

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

Kesler was the ONLY trade/FA I was interested in. :(

He and Max would have been dynamite !

53. mrhabby says:

is it just me or did the canucks get anything of value from the Ducks for Kesler.

54. Mavid ® says:

104

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

55. Habfan17 says:

I would like Bergevin to go hard at Iginla, 2 years, first year at $6 million and the second at $4 million. Mason Raymond, 3 years at $2 million per and Tom Gilbert for 3 years at $3.5 million per.
    Patches, Galchenyuk, Iginla
    Raymond, Pleks, Gallagher
    Bournival, Eller, Bourque
    Prust, White, Weise

Markov, Subban
    Emelin, Gilbert
    Gorges, Pateryn
    Tinordi, ?

Trade DD, Nygren, and their first to move up and maybe get a 2nd round pick!

Habfan17

• Forum Dog says:

As much as I like him, I cannot imagine Iginla in a MTL jersey. An Alberta boy with leverage – I don’t think he would be interested.

• Habfan17 says:

I am sure he wants a cup and Bergevin is a player”s GM. Maybe he likes what is happening in Montreal and would take a deal to try for the cup. Other teams that have a real chance like the Kings are already covered. Boston has cap issues. The Oilers are not even close to winning and it would be hard for him to go back to the Flames. Maybe Vancouver, but they are no closer than Montreal and then there is the travel.

Habfan17

• mrhabby says:

no Nathan B or Briere.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

Most recent 10 of 826 signatories to the Roger’s Petition.

In-between filling out Your mock-draft choices this afternoon/evening, spare a moment for ‘the cause’ will Ya ? …SIGN THE PETITION ! dag-nabit ! :)

We need a thousand !

Marco diGorolamo
    just now

Sean ?
    just now

Matt ?
    1 hour ago

(I assume ‘GrosBill’ ain’t ‘the real’ Gros Bill ? :) )

____________________________________________________
    “Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

57. Gehlsen says:

KESLER to ducks! Per tsn.
    Les Habitant!

58. Say Ash says:

Kesler to Anaheim

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I think its inevitable he’s going there. Can’t see him wearing a Blues or Hawks jersey.

• Forum Dog says:

Link? ‘Cause that is pretty big. Anaheim has the pieces to send back, so props to them….

EDIT: Here is the link. Return is underwhelming IMO.

EDIT EDIT: Maybe the return is not so bad. Couple of roster players and a 1st rounder. Kesler is good but he’s no superstar.

• stephen says:

Seems to be confirmed by Dreger over at tsn.ca

edit: Canucks get Bonino, Sbisa, 24th overall pick and 3rd round pick.

• Kooch7800 says:

I didn’t that that was too bad of a deal. Kesler hasn’t been the same player the last couple years and Bonino isn’t bad. Sbisa is a pretty physical stay at home D man. plus they get another 1st round pick. I think that isn’t a bad move for Van city

59. Mavid ® says:

Can you imagine if somehow Spezza ended up a leaf, that would send the Sens fans right over the edge..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

60. krob1000 says:

Can you imagine a d coprs with Subban, GUdbranson, Ekblad, one of Tinordi, Markov and Emelin? That is one big, skilled, solid d group.

Markov-Subban
    Emelin-Gudbranson
    Tinordi-Ekblad
    Bouillon or vet like him or Weaver-Pateryn
    If kids struggling pick up cheap stop gap vet dman somewhere.

Holy crap

• Habfan17 says:

That would be nice, but a fairy tale. It would take sending Beaulieu, Nygren, Eller, Patches and Gallagher and Montreals first round pick. At least! Who would the defence pass the puck to?

Habfan17

61. Captain aHab says:

Take it for what it’s worth but here’s what James Murphy (ESPN Boston) posted on his twitter account a couple of hours ago:

Really surprised but once again I keep hearing Max Pacioretty’s name out there as available when talking to agents and scouts. #mtlhockey

He did add that the offer would clearly need to knock Bergevin’s socks off….

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

62. Hobie says:

If Vancouver wants to trade Garrison to Montreal I’d imagine they’re looking to dump his $4.5 million price tag? Not sure why they’d what Gorges or Emelin back only to save around $500,000?

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I think I spoke about Jason Garrison before, probably a couple of years ago during the last lockout on his potential to come here to MTL. Back when he was with the Panthers in 2012, his numbers were decent to be an offensive Dman.

• bwoar says:

Garrison isn’t worth 4.5M at all. He’s defensively good enough to edge into the lineup as a #6 D. Essentially he’s MAB but a bit bigger, powerplay specialist only. I could never get over how useless of a defenseman he is.

You guys know I don’t like Gorges but I’d rather keep him than make a trade like that.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Tokarski could be an unnamed participant in this transaction (along with Gorges) and Higgins might be coming back with Garisson. Some late round picks would be involved as well. All speculation of course…we’ll see. Higgins could play on the third line and Bourque would go into the top six on the right side in a pinch…

24 cups and counting….

• Hobie says:

It would be amazing if whatever Mellanby said to Bourque in the playoffs carried into the regular season. He’d push for his career high in goals at 27 again.

63. krob1000 says:

Hawks offer multi-player deal to Florida?

Rumored offer: Sharp, Roszival, D prospect Adam Clendening and Chicago #1 to Florida for their number 1 and Erik Gudbranson
    Source: John Jaeckel

Florida had better not accept that. Why in the world woudl they have to throw Gudbranson in? Clendenning is not as good as Gudbrandson and noone would trade the number 1 for Sharp, a later pick and a salary dump? This had better not be the deal…if FLA is considering this MB get on the phone ASAP.

64. habs_1978 says:

Don’t know if anyone has posted yet, but sad story about Dino Odjick

• Habilis says:

Saw that last night. Just awful. I met him once back in the day when he was a Hab. It literally could not happen to a nicer guy.

Thoughts and well wishes with him and his family.

65. Darren Dragger says:

The 2014 NHL Draft will be held tonight in Philadelphia, and the Florida Panthers are on the clock with the first over all pick. The draft is thought to be lacking in high-end talent compared to last year, and to not be especially deep as well, compared to previous years. With that in mind, many teams are said to be trying to move up, but finding that the cost is steep, so they may stand pat.

What this means for the Maple Leafs is unclear. They’re said to be in the trade market for centres Ryan Kesler, Jason Spezza, Joe Thornton, Mike Richards and Vincent Lecavalier, but would have trouble filling all or most of them under their cap. It might also mean that they’d have to part with prime prospects such as Justin Pogge, Jiri Tlusty, Carter Ashton and McGreg McKegg, or franchise players like Dion Phaneuf and Nazem Kadri. GM Dave Nonis has been inflexible that the future of his team, best exemplified by young veterans like James Reimer and Carl Gunnarsson, will not be sacrificed in order to win now.

Holding the eighth pick in the draft gives the Leafs options. Sources within the organization have hinted that the team may trade up to obtain the first overall pick, or another pick, or could also trade down to target a lower-ranked player.

Based on organizational need, it’s evident that the Leafs will target a defenceman with their first round pick, although that may change, making the selection of a forward or a goaltender also very likely.

Darren Dragger, Insider

If you’re not inside, you’re outside!

• DipsyDoodler says:

:-)

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• habsfan0 says:

I’m more or less convinced the Laffs will make a concerted effort to land Florida’s #1 pick. Dale Tallon last night indicated that he’s already received a couple of concrete offers for Florida’s pick. He even went so far as to say that in 1 case,he was offered MORE than he was looking for. That sounds like a Dave Nonis/Shanahan deal.

• plum says:

Spot on!

I find Darren Dreger will always say stuff similar to that last paragraph. For example, “It’s likely that the thing will happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t.”

66. Habilis says:

I’m a big fan of the draft. More so when we have a decent pick of course, but obviously I’m not going to complain about a late pick this season.

What I don’t like is the poppycock that precedes the draft. So much talk about players and picks going here and there and 95% of the time it amounts to nothing. Probably because most GM’s are no different than a lot of hockey fans. They all just want to fleece another team because they think themselves to be smarter than everyone else in the room.

Tough to blame them really, with someone like Garth Snow still employed and all.

67. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Jason Garrison makes sense if the Habs are looking for someone to play with PK. Gorges or Emelin has to go the other way for $$$ and LD reasons. Like Garrison but a RH physical D-man for the second pairing and PK is a much greater priority.

68. Commandant says:

I’ve finally finished and Its my biggest draft preview yet….. now with over 100 scouting reports.

75 full reports (800 words or so)
    26 smaller reports (100 words or so each)
    2 honourable mentions (not a scouting report but a compilation of views on the net).
    2 round mock draft.
    and a statistical analysis of the top 10

Here is the full list

I honestly believe this is the best free guide you can get on the internet

• Chris says:

The only guy who I think you have really undersold is Alex Nedeljkovic…he was without a doubt the top goalie in the OHL this season. Outstanding talent, he’s one of the better goalies I’ve seen in the OHL in recent years. I would not at all be surprised if he slips into the latter half of the first round.

His Plymouth team this season was VERY weak…he was the only reason they made the playoffs. It is unfortunate that the Whalers wouldn’t trade him to a contender (and I know that Guelph and London both wanted him badly), because it would have really raised his profile.

I’m still a bit surprised to see that he is only 6’0″…he plays much taller than that in the net.

• Commandant says:

He’s my #2 ranked goalie in this draft…. How did I undersell him… I have him early in the second round (by my personal grade).

If you are talking about the mock draft… thats me betting on NHL GMs being stupid and taking bigger goalies ahead of him. Not me underselling his talent.

Its like last year when I said McCarron would go in the early 2nd round in my mock (sadly, he went even higher)… but my personal rankings had him in the third round.

• Chris says:

Sorry, I meant latter half of the first round. He’s one of the guys that I think will go much higher than his ranking. Scouts were raving about him in the Guelph-Plymouth series.

I wasn’t so worried about the #2 goalie, but the #46 overall…I think that is probably too low for him.

69. Rad says:

Conner Bleackley may be one of the forwards that falls down to 26. Tough as nails, 2-way Centerman in the Boone Jenner, Bo Horvat mold. Captain of the Red Deer Rebels as a 17-year old playing for Brent Sutter. Heart and soul player that you win championships with.

70. Slackman says:

Dunboyne are you insinuating this is a hockey related website?????

71. Forum Dog says:

Mackenzie reporting that Habs are interested in ‘Nucks Jason Garrison.

Makes some sense. He is a big RH shot with some offense. I don’t love the contract he’s got though, so I would hope that it is one of the Habs D (i.e. Gorges) going back the other way.

EDIT: Sorry, someone posted below. And yeah, he is a LH shot, not a RH shot. Not sure why they’d be interested…..

• shiram says:

He’s not a RD, but a LD.

• Forum Dog says:

Yup, I saw that after. For someone reason I was sure he was a RH shot, but I’m not Pierre MacGuire and sometimes get it wrong. As I say in my EDIT, not sure what the interest would be, especially with the contract he’s got.

• shiram says:

Yup weird rumor indeed, maybe a lateral move with one of Gorges/Emelin?

• Forum Dog says:

That could make sense. Might be that he is seen as a better LH compliment for Subban (as someone posted below), in which case I would think Gorges would be the odd man out.

I honestly hope they don’t give up on Emelin quite yet….

72. Commandant says:

I’ve finally finished and Its my biggest draft preview yet….. now with 100 scouting reports.

73. Thurston says:

Eklund said Montreal may be talking to Vancouver about a D-man and, for once, that may have credibility. It seems to be backed up by a legit source:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

• mark-ID says:

Another left handed dman though…?

Unless maybe if we send Gorges or Emelin the other way maybe. We already have a lot of dman, so I would think we would have to send one their way.

• mark-ID says:

It could look something like this maybe? Or maybe switch Emelin with Pateryn, but it could be good to give the rookies an experienced d partner.

Garrison Subban
      Markov Pateryn
      Emelin Beaulieu
      Tinordi

First PP: Markov and PK
      second: Garrison and Beaulieu/Pateryn

Not too shabby

• Forum Dog says:

I actually like this, though would probably lean toward leaving Emelin and Markov together.

Garrison could help the 2nd PP and would give them another shooting option from the point 5-on-5.

• mark-ID says:

Yea no more having Gorges just flip the puck into the corner. I have never seen an NHL dman who has so little confidence in his shot.
          I like Gorges and some of the qualities he brings, but offense is non existent in him.

• habsfan0 says:

Gorges does have his faults.
            But he’s one of the premier shot blockers in the NHL.

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t know, Emelin does not play well on the right side.

Habfan17

• krob1000 says:

Garrsion is a left hand rocke tshot…..this sound scounterintuitive looking atou rroster but….Markov perfers to lay the tright sdie ona pp and Garrison is likea Souraya dn would work well with Markov. On the other pp….beualieu probably will get some time this year and he would be on the right and Subban on the left on pp’s as they switch. Markov is the oddball who prefers not to be on his onetimer side but is in Montreal.

At even strength might make a good partern for Subban if they plan on reuniting Markova nd wrong side Emelin. I would prefer it if it was actaully Edler they were targetting ..

• mark-ID says:

Well if that would be the case, it would mean Markov being on the second unit…..there is no way I can see Subban not getting first unit PP. He is one of the most gifted PP players in the league. Maybe Garrison and PK could work together, except that they are both shooters.

74. krob1000 says:

Chris…re your point about DD being pretty much a passer exclusively…this is why I would like to see one of the other centers play with DD. As you said..and I have said in the past too….for DD to be effective he basically needs to of teams top shooters. I think all of Briere, Pleks and Eller and even Chucky are all good enough passers that they would work there. I also think Patches and Gally are better playmakers than people give them credit for….and this gets under used with no theat in the middle of the rink. I think the other centers and the team in general would benefit from other centers also being given finishers. As it is you are limiting multiple centers to accomodate one. You are also taking away the ability to score from the centers you said have that ability as tehy are not with wingers capable of playmaking for them. Plkes gets saddled with GIo (who NEVER passes and Bouruqe…who is not wired that way either).

I just fail to see over and over how it beenfits the team having DD play in that role …I have tried to rationalize it and on nights where it works well I try to talk myself into it. When I play around with line combos (I know it drives some people batty but I have coached for years and my desk is filled with thousands of them from minor hockey teams LOL)I normally start with DD-Patches….BUT……when I eliminate that duo I see far better possibilities openup and I see more players and the team benefitting. That is just how I see it and clearly the man in charge sees it your way but no matter how many times I try to objectively think about it….I do not think it makes sense. It may help DD’s stats, it may make the pp easy for MT and it is definitely what Patches wats (who wouldn’t want a guy who no matter where he is on the ice waits for you to get open) …..but I justthink it adversely affects too many other players and limits more palyers and the net benefit IMo is a decrease in overall team production.

I am not a “DD hater” and there is nothing personal there…I just want the team to be the best it can be and I falt out thinkt he team is being hampered by Dd in that role. If he can play well away fromt he puck now…then why not use his great playmaking to perhaps make Bourque or Gio more consistent…they would be more ideal pairs IMo as they have no playmaking ability and are shooters only….whereas the other centers you mentioned are carrying extra weight with them offensively.

Using these rationales best lineup would be

Patches-Eller-Gally
    Bourque-DD-Gio
    Chucky-PLeks-Briere

Elelr gets playmakers and whole line is dual threats
    DD gets his shoot first guys and they get a center that doesn’t want the puck back anyway
    Pleks can be the glue guy on a line that has Chcuky who is also a dual threat like Pleks(what will dictate this lines offesnvie success is who the third player is…if it is another dminded player IMO pleks will veer that way…and play more defensively)…I think Hemsky would do Pleks wonders myself.

75. Un Canadien errant says:

The Canucks are dealing with their own 2009 first-round draft bust in Jordan Shroeder, who I can never tell apart from Jannik Hansen and the other guy who sounds like these two.

Oh yeah, the ‘other guy’ is Niklass Jensen.

———————————————————————–