Who is Mark Mitera?

m_mitera

The newest member of the Canadiens’ family is a former first-round draft choice.
You have to like that.

Like Michael Cammalleri and Max Pacioretty, Mark Mitera went to the University of Michigan.

You have to like that.

And he’s got some size: 6’3″, about 215.

You have to like that.

So what’s not to like in this minor trade between the Camadiens and Ducks?

Nothing … unless the other Matt Carle becomes a star in Anaheim.

In 2006, the Ducks drafted Mitera 19th overall – one spot ahead of David Fischer’s selection by the Canadiens … and 44 picks ahead of Carle.

This YouTube video suggests Mitera had the same boxing coach as Mike Komisarek at Michigan:

The team announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager, Pierre Gauthier, announced today the acquisition of defenseman Mark Mitera from the Anaheim Ducks, in return for defenseman Mathieu Carle.
The 24-year old Mitera played 71 games with the AHL Syracuse Crunch in 2010-11, recording 22 points (6 goals, 16 assists) and serving 50 penalty minutes. The 6’03’’, 213 lbs defenseman played a total of 108 career games in the AHL.
A native of Royal Oak, Michigan, Mitera was drafted in the first round, 19th overall by the Anaheim Ducks at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Mathieu Carle played 223 career regular season games with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs, recording 97 points (30 goals, 67 assists). He also suited up for three NHL games with the Canadiens in 2009-10. Carle was drafted in the second round by the Canadiens, 53rd overall in 2006.

Hockey’s Future kinda likes Mitera.

1. Tony McLean says:

Gutless head shot/interference by no talent heavyweight Lessard. Should have got 5 and a game.

Who’s going to break Chara’s nose???

2. Mike D says:

Frolik re-ups with CHI for 3 years, 7mil total.

So I guess that big trade rumour from last week between Montreal and Chicago panned out to be just that – a rumour. For anyone who missed it, it was Moen for one of Frolik or Stalberg.

Bummer, now we’ve got nothing real to talk about until Gorgy re-signs.

- Honestly yours

3. Bill says:

Way more than the usual number of really dumb-ass posts on here today. Must be the heat.

Would all the closet-boys who are biting their nails about the Habs not having a goon please either drop the macho-posing or just admit their issue?

Also, for the couple of guys who suggested – with an apparently straight face – that Chara would not have nailed Max into next year if he knew that he was “at risk” … what the hell? At risk of what? Is there anyone in the league who can physically threaten Chara? That has to be – and I apologize for saying this – maybe the dumbest thing I have ever read here … and everyone who’s been posting here for any length of time knows that that is saying something!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SeriousFan09 says:

That’s been going on for months Bill, somehow, in magic-fantasy-land where Burke is actually building a contender in TO, a goon would intimidate Chara to not do whatever he wanted to do.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think it’s necessarily macho posturing. I’m opposed to fighting and the new violence in hockey, but I also don’t want to see my Habs get beat up like they did in that disgraceful end of game brawl against the Bruins.

We all realize that an enforcer wouldn’t stop the Chara hit, and that teams had enforcers when Savard and Crosby suffered concussions.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Carle was never going to be a Hab beyond emergency injury replacement with the way the depth chart had clobbered him and injuries had derailed his own progress. Subban and Weber blew past him in the depth chart a long time ago and now with additions like Brendon Nash, Nathan Beaulieu, Mac Bennett, Raphael Diaz and Magnus Nygren the team is pretty much set for puck-movers at present and PG needed to do something with Carle before he just walked away from the team looking for his shot at the NHL.

Corey Pronman of Puck Prospectus likes this guy for a potential NHL upside and feels ANA came out the losers on this swap, shares my personal and my very amateur assessment that Carle is AHL for life.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• OlJackAdams says:

Yup. All those players you list bring similar skill-sets. Mitera brings some size, even if he lacks a hard bite.

I’d be surprised if Gauthier made this move based on Mitera becoming an NHL player. It is much more likely that this deal is meant to strengthen the Bulldogs and create openings for players like Nash, Bennett and Diaz. Beaulieu maybe, though he as at least one more year (and maybe 2) of Junior eligibility. If Mitera somehow manages to crack the NHL, that is just gravy. Carle wasn’t going to get a chance in Montreal, and they did the right thing by moving him to a team where he may.

This being my first post here, I’ll say that I think Gauthier is doing a good job overall. Montreal lacks the muscle you see in teams like Boston and Philly, but they almost always have. Montreal is a fun team to watch, much faster paced hockey than most teams. They do need to inject some toughness (read hard to play against, not the goon variety), but I see that happening with the development of White and Paciorrety, and the signing of players like Cole and Moen. The Northeast is a tough division and the playoffs are never guaranteed, but the Habs have a deep lineup that can skate, and that can pay dividends over an 82 game schedule.

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

So I was thinking tonight, Pacioretty will be captain someday. That is a good idea? Right after Plekanec finishes his career in Montréal.

Max is going to be an incredible player, but the only way I would trade Plekanec, is a big package that included a Crosby-type player.

EDIT: Tomas is heart and soul Habs (along with Markov)

6. JF says:

Training camp begins on 16 September – only two months to go!

• 24 Cups says:

Don’t you wish away my summer, Jane!

I would prefer it if training camp started at the end of September with the regular season kicking in after Thanksgiving. The schedule would then finish at the end of March with the Cup being rewarded no later than Victoria Day.

7. Curtis O Habs says:

For all those who ripped on PG for drafting so many defensemen, they command high trade value at some point in their early careers.

• Bugs says:

For all those who DIDN’T rip on PG for drafting so many defencemen, don’t worry, we’ll find something to lord over yehs with too.
      Only equal-opportunity slaggers here, I don’t mind tellin yehs!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

8. durocher says:

As others may have noted, Mitera played with Pacioretty and Palushaj.

This is a great deal, Carle was not going to make it to the big show.

9. SmartDog says:

This guy seems like a good gamble at essentially no cost. I mean, he’s no David Fischer but… :)

More to the point (or the nearest I can get to one), I have to admit that I don’t ‘love’ PG’s work on the current Habs but he does seem to be stocking the cupboard.

A GM QUESTION: given that the Habs are looking well stocked with a strong young D corp for the 2013-14 season (led by the veteran Subban and with Markov possibly in his final year)… would you approve if PG traded NOW, Kostitsyn and a prospect for a strong forward prospect (a projected power forward) in the MaxPac mold, likely to be NHL ready in 2-3 years? That is – to add more depth on the farm in the forward position for the same time frame. (Pleks, Cami, Gionta, Cole, will all still be here too.)

• longbow says:

With more Dmen in the cupboard than forwards I’d be more inclined to see if I could move Weber,Georges and our first pick to Edmonton for their 1st next year.Just an example.With a little luck it would be a lottery pick.Yakupov ? Grigorenko ? All sorts of possibilities but this is the approach I would take.Probably the kind of move only Pollack could pull off. Requires anticipating who finishes at or near the bottom,convincing them they benefit from what we have to offer then hoping they still end up falling flat on their face. Are you a gambling man ?

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

• habs_r_us says:

yeah lets trade 2 of our talented prime aged dmen and our first round pick for another teams first round pick sounds brilliant….

• longbow says:

I was merely providing an example of how to acquire an elite 1st line forward.You can fill in any names you like.I used this example because we have Dmen and Edmonton needs D.If we had more quality forwards then you could try the same thing by dealing them to a lower rung team that has a serious need for forwards.I stated in line 3 that it was just an example. BTW Gorges is prime in 1 dimension and Weber is 4 yrs short of prime. Don’t over evaluate assets.

• Marc10 says:

I think Ottawa is as good a bet as any to finish in the cellar. There’s parity, but the Sens are awful. The Jets too won’t make the show without a goalie.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
        Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• G-Man says:

Why don’t we see how the assembled team does before more dismantling? Eller and Kostitsyn had some good chemistry, so how about not doing anything more for the moment? If “power forwards? were in such abundance, every team would have a 30 goal 300 penalty minutes man.

Not sure if many of you read Bill Simmons from ESPN, some people love him others hate him. He wrote a piece asking if Ken Dryden’s The Game is the best sports book of all time. Pretty neat to read an American sports writer give credit to a hockey book. For those that don’t know he is a complete Boston lover, Bruins, RedSox, Patriots and especially Celtics.

Check it out.

In relation to the Habs needing to be tougher this year, I pose this question. How many more different/new tough/grinding (not goons) guys do we need? Before you answer we do have to recognize the following changes:
    1. We should have a healthy MaxPac all season. A good sized forward who isn’t afraid to go to the dirty areas of the ice.
    2. We have added Erik Cole, not a fighter, but a gritty power forward who again will go to any part of the ice to help the team.
    3. We have Ryan White up with the big club for the entire season, not partial like last season, don’t need to tell you what this guy can do.
    3. We have Emelin on essentially a 1 way contract to play with the Habs. If he cant cut it with the big boys sounds like he will be in the KHL. We have all heard he likes to throw the body, and likes to play on the edge perhaps a bit reckless with some of his hits..
    4. We have eliminated Pyatt from the 4th line, loss of speed, guy was tough and unafraid, but at his size it wasn’t scaring anybody.
    5. We lost Pouliot one of the guys not afraid to throw the knuckles when the need was there, just would have helped if he stayed on feet when crossing blue line.
    6. We lost the Wiz. Another guy not afraid to throw the knuckles and a gritty dmen considering not a big fellow. Played bigger than he was.
    7. We have Markov back, no big grit, but dynamic passer out of our zone and a guy that will help kill other teams when they take penalties as he makes the pp much better.
    and finally 8. We have Gorges back (again, I think PG forgot to send out announcement he is signed). He is not big, but will fight for every inch on the ice.

So we have gained some muscle, we lost some. I think we gained more than we lost. PG appears to be stocking the lower levels. But how much more do we on the NHL roster. 1 tough dman and/or 1 real tough forward.

My point, we need some, but how much are we all talking about.

Sorry for the length of rambling.

• The Dude says:

Like I said Evgeny Artukhin is a good start and a guy like Pronger on the D.

• ed lopaz says:

I can tell you 1 guy who needs some protection on his line – and he is our #1 center.

come playoff time, Pleks is not able to find the time and space that he needs, he is harassed and banged all over the ice, and it shows!!

Plekanec is frustrated and he plays like it – throughout the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs;

exactly when physicality and tough hockey starts to increase.

it starts with the coach.

martin does not believe in playing hard nosed hockey that could possibly lead to penalties.

martin is not ready to take a few penalties to protect his players like plekanec and cammy and even gionta who takes it on the chin for this team.

martin is a soft serve loser in 12 playoff appearances has a playoff record of 50 wins and 62 losses; 7 times 1st round eliminated; no conference championships; and of course, no Cups!!

until we get a coach who has the balls to play the game the way the NHL is designed to be played, we are at a real disadvantage.

I never agreed that Martin was the right man for this job, and I never will.

gauthier is making a lot of excellent moves and Price, Subban and Patches are going to be HUGE STARS, together, for the next 10 years!!

Send martin to the press box and bring in Larry Robinson to coach this team.

Robinson would be perfect!!!

• Mark C says:

Tomas was tied for second most in points in this year’s playoffs. Last year he was 4th, while playing a huge role in shutting down Crosby and Backstrom. Are you sure Martin is to blame? Seems like his playoff scoring under Martin isn’t much of an issue. You weren’t just form fitting this argument to take a shot at Martin, were you?

• ed lopaz says:

Mark, 2nd most on the HABS (5 points in 7 games) and 4th most on the HABS (11 points in 19 freakin games)

this is our number 1 center for g-ds sake!!

you must think that 57 points in 77 games is also a wonderful number!!

wow!!

the Habs do not score goals.

this is our #1 center.

if he produces like he has lately, it is no wonder we are eliminated in the first round.

you keep propping Martin up, Mark.

the guy has not won a championship since 1986 memorial cup.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Tomas Plekanec? Are you sure you’ve got the right guy? He did well for points and his role is to be on the shut down line.

• porkdog324 says:

Hey t21…

What’s up with your name???

You must know what it means.

Does someone in your family have Down syndrome or is it you?

For some reason this pisses me off.

I don’t know why.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I still contend playoff series that involve Patrick Lalime should not be counted against JM, that man had no help at the most important position in nets when a seemingly nonstop string of HOF netminders were lifting the Cup in the 90s to early 2000s.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• boing007 says:

Richard R
        Yeah. Larry R, akaBig Bird, for team coach and that other Big Bird as his assistant.
        We could also hire The Count to make sure that we cut down on our too many men on the ice penalties. The Cookie Monster could take care of the energy bars.
        ‘Sunny day’…

• Bugs says:

1. No player is “afraid” of goin into the dirty areas; it’s just that sometimes, the OTHER player on the OTHER team whose job it is to STOP our guy from goin into the dirty areas actually manages to accomplish that. Pac-Man had a good half-season, like Theo and Higgy and Poolio. Should-should-should, yeah, yeah; let’s see a full year’s worth before hailin him as this or that, please.
      2. Good golly, are we chock-full of guys who DON’T go to any part of the ice to help the team, or what? All we do is stand still middle of the ice, lookin at each other completely dumbfounded. “Are YOU goin? Cuz I ain’t goin. I don’t wanna help the team cuz I’m too scared. I’ll cash the checks but I’m too scared to do my job. YOU go.” Cole is our savior!
      3. He can be rambunctious, yep. Has come out surprisingly well in his bouts. But can he instill ORDER? Eeesh, that’s somethin else.
      3.20. Bof, Emelin, he’s got no ultimatum to give us; we don’t owe him NUTHIN. Bein doin just fine without’m. He wants to go back to Ruskova things don’t work out in the big club, then to hell with’m.
      4. Didn’t give Pyatt heave-ho cuz he wasn’t “scarin anybody”; gave him heave-ho cuz he produced zero-minus-one offence AS WELL as not “scarin anybody”.
      5. Also woulda helped not to repeat same 0 goals in last 24 games scenario from last year…amongst other things, I suppose.
      6. How many scraps DID Jimmy get into over here anyway? However many it was, it was less than I was anticipating, tell you gosh honest’s truth. Expected’m to drop’em more.
      7. Yeah, we know who Markov is. Thanks. Like I said, stays healthy all year, I see no reason why we can’t take the Conference. I think we’re the best team in the East. There, I said it. But…maybe it’s biased; I don’t know. Who can tell in this day and age?
      8. Good’ole Gorgy, yep. He says he’ll be 100%, right?

I think we’re the exact same team as last year with Cole in Poolio’s place and Marky in Jimmy’s. I think, if we stay healthy, we take the Conference. I think that if Marky and the Priceberg step up in the playoffs, we win the Cup.
      And…that’s it.
      I love you, New York; g’NIGHT!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• RobertAlanFord says:

Shane O’Brien, John Erskine and Koci. Toughest names I can recall without having looked at the UFA list in over a week.

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro”, Hunter S. Thompson.

Calvillo breaks touchdown record on a very close play.

13. adamkennelly says:

Bottom line – Habs need some muscle – no one will ever convince me otherwise. Don’t tell me about Detroit – their skilled players are not small and they do not get pushed around or punked like our Habs do. I was at the Stanley Cup parade in 1986, went to every playoff game in 1989 (standing room) and was at the parade in 1993…I know hockey, play hockey, coach hockey…spend the resources getting the type of player(s) this teams need..not far from being contenders but will never, ever be without some muscle..you need respect from opponents – Habs don’t have it – nor would I give it to them if I were the opposing coach. Pens just signed Big Mac – are the Habs really too high and mighty for a move like that…Embarrassing.

• The parade in 93 was a blast.

• adamkennelly says:

86 was better…convertibles instead of flatbed trucks….I was in grade 6…my mom took me, my bro and 2 buddies out of school…was at Ste-Cathrine and Berry in 1986…didn’t know WTF was really going on but what a thrill.

• I wasn’t in town for the 86. I was too young to enjoy it like I did the 93. I remember people climbing up the side of the flatbeds and getting auto’s from the players. My friend and I climbed a pole to get a good view of the parade.

• boing007 says:

Richard R
            In ’86 I remember that Chris Chelios was stinking drunk and lovin’ every minute of it.

• Hobie Hansen says:

One of the best comments I’ve seen on this site…EVER.

I played hockey myself and and have dropped the gloves on and off the ice over 100 times.

I was in standing room many nights at the old rink and was in the building when they won the cup in 93.

It makes me sick when you see people on here talking about playing Metropolit or Halpen on the 4th line at center.

I like Gauthier and his careful approach at signing players but if the Habs get, as you said…PUNKED again this year, I’ll puke.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Most people usually stop bragging about the number of fights they’ve been in somewhere around the time they get their driver’s license…

• JayBee says:

I agree dude, but most won’t.

• Chris F says:

Agree, Agree, Agree. It’s amazing how reluctant PG is in getting some “real” muscle. It’s interesting how PG refuses to address the teams lack of true grit. And for all those posters who say it’s about team toughness, and we almost beat the Bruins this year, get a grip. AdamK says it right, it’s about respect, and nobody respects us because we don’t have one player who can force this respect. We have many skilled players, and many small players. Give the team one guy who can routinely stand up to the Thornton’s, and Lucic’s of the world. And don’t give me the nonsense comment that we don’t need a guy playing 5 minutes a night and end up in the box. Those comments come from fans who have never played a competitive game of hockey in their life.
      Why do you think Marchand skates around like he owns the ice?? Do you think he would play that way for us?? Get real, he would get his faced filled in if he played that way for us, and he knows it.
      PG give us someone who can play and protect, play a regular fourth line shift with White and Moen, and fill in somebodies face when they try to mess with anyone on our team. Then, and only then, will we see a return to the Cup. Believe it.

• adamkennelly says:

Devils just signed Boulton to go along with Janssen and Clarkson…interesting…Big Lou has no idea what he’s doing right? This is the NHL ladies – if we don’t respect our skilled players enough to protect them – then why should our opponents…nothing worse for skilled players than having to deal with BS from punks like Marchand…at this stage, short of a trade we are looking at the 2011 Habs…White and Moen have their work cut out for them.

14. gloveside says:

From Rotoworld article “The Best and Worst FA Signings”. Guess who’s is #1 on their “worst” list?

Full article:

1. Andrei Markov

Contract: three years/$17.25 million
    Annual Cap Hit: $5.75 million

I don’t think I can properly emphasize how absurd I find this contract without giving you an example of how this would look in reverse. Let’s say Markov didn’t get hurt in either of the last two seasons and let’s say Montreal had won the Stanley Cup in 2008-09 (just go with it), but finished last in the Eastern Conference in 2009-10 and 2010-11. Then they asked Markov to sign for a huge discount under the assumption that the Canadiens will win the Stanley Cup every season over the life of his contract.

That’s how I feel this contract works. The Canadiens signed Markov under the assumption that his last two years could never be repeated and that he is still a consistent 50-60 point per season player. That might prove to be true, but this contract only makes sense under that best case scenario. You can find examples of this throughout pro sports, where a player has a terrible year or two before his contract expires and a team, seeing his potential, decides to sign him as if those years never happened. Sometimes it works out, but it seems like most bad contracts are born as a result of someone not adequately weighing the possibility that things might not work out perfectly. Let’s hope for the Canadiens’ sake that Markov ends up making this contract look, well, acceptable, because that’s as good as it could possibly look.

• DearyLeary says:

I have no idea what this ‘Rotoworld’ is, but they’re effin’ clueless. Tanguay’s contract is good, but Markov’s is bad? Maybe it’s opposite day, who the hell knows.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

That article includes the phrase “… a superstar like Ehrhoff…”, so I think it is intend to be some kind of “opposite day” piece. Definitely sarcasm, but not smoothly executed.

* Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty *

• shootdapuck says:

Rotoworld seems to be the house organ for Rotorooter operators!

Blocked full of Sh_t!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• harpman says:

It is only one man`s opinion..nothing more.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The guy who wrote that rotoworld article is named Ryan Dadoun. He has a blog, but I don’t want to direct any traffic his way, so I’ll just paste a blog entry he linked to on his facebook page.

“WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2011

My job with Rotoworld requires that I write regularly and I have spent a good portion of my free time working on a sci-fi/fantasy novel (Ombra, hence the name of the blog), but one thing I haven’t done much of is write short stories. That’s something I want to change.

Short Story – The Play
      As an exercise, I decided to see what I could create in a single sitting and this was the result. I had two rules going into it: 1) I couldn’t map the story out in advance and 2) It couldn’t have any supernatural elements (to keep it different from Ombra). My goal in sharing this is to elicit feedback. Please be as honest with your criticism, I’m always happy to hear what people liked, but I also want to know what you feel didn’t work.”

His story follows that, but I didn’t read it.

* Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty *

• HabFanSince72 says:

He writes as if he doesn’t realize Markov was injured for the last two seasons.

15. Bugs says:

Ummm, why was my Holmes post deleted?
    You know, so I don’t repeat the same…(mistake?) in the future.
    Waste my friggin time writin it, hell was wrong with it?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

16. habstrinifan says:

Heard the news re the trade on way to hospital visiting… added some excitement to the prospects of the day.

Like it. I hope he make sthe team in October and gives our defense that big body.. after all he IS a 1st round draft choice.

Gotta read up on him now.

• SmartDog says:

Or maybe we’ll bring him up for awhile, he’ll show some flashes of brilliance but have consistency issues, and then we’ll let him go as a UFA next year and he’ll end up another huge monster guarding Tim Thomas.

17. DearyLeary says:

With all the offensive defencemen in the system (PK, Beaulieu, Weber, Diaz), Carle became disposable. So we upgraded on some size. Low risk, moderate reward type deal. Nothing wrong with it, nothing that’ll improve our team by leaps and bounds either.

It serves an organizational need for size/strength (odd that now that Gauthier tries to fill that role people can’t stop blathering about how he can’t fight) at a very low cost. Might never play in the NHL, but we weren’t going to see Carle in the league either, so big whoop.

18. According to TSN Brendan Morrisson has signed a one year deal worth 1.25m to play for Calgary Flames.

• gloveside says:

Actually, he signed for $850,000 with $400,000 in assorted incentives. Can’t imagine why we couldn’t find room for a 50 point center for that kind of money, especially when we’re paying one 10 times that to score substantially less. I would have rather the Habs signed Morrisson for cheap and let him play in Gomez’s spot.

19. The Dude says:

“We will break your hands with our faces so watch out Beaners cus you needs your paws to play hockey!”

20. Favorite Son says:

Of course, we get the guy that gets his ass kicked.

• Habfan4lfe says:

Hockey is not a game of fighting and Montreal has never had a bunch of goons on it. So what all this BS is about for needing fighter well if you have a problem then complain about Moen, he is a fighter and how many fights did he get into? Whether this guy lost the only recorded fights is not important, what is important is that he isn’t afraid to take off the gloves and fight. The important thing is he can play hockey and he’s big. The team needs size not goons.

• The Dude says:

The Habs need Evgeny Artyukhin!And I’ve got a question for you ….Way back in the hockey day’s of Bobby Clark and Davey Schultz,do you see a change in the outcome of games played against Philly if Larry Robinson and Pierre Bouchard lost those fights? If your answer is no your faith is stronger than your realities.

• DearyLeary says:

And I pose to you the question: Which fight did we lose this year that, had we won, would have propelled us to a Cup?

• HalifaxHabs says:

you’re just wasting your time with this guy DL.

• The Dude says:

Not a fight OR a response to the to the Patches hit…Markov’s knee take out … and many many more incidents. Infact, that question is a bigger question in it’s self…watch Habs hockey much?

• Brinkley says:

The fact is….teams like Boston know they can come into the Bell Centre (let alone THEIR building) and easly get away with pushing the Habs around (or even kicking their asses) – that ultimately makes the Habs (physically) an easy mark for much of the rest of the NHL.

Part of what made the great Habs teams of the 70s was the drafting of guys like Riseborough, Tremblay, Chartraw and Lupien just so the Habs talented players could play their skill game…and win.

Habs management today has different ideas – any one notice HABS no longer win as much?

• D Mex says:

” … Montreal has never had a bunch of goons … ”
        My friggin’ oath ! By chance, do the names Lupien, Kordic, or Morrissette happen to ring any bells ?

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• D Mex says:

LA Loyalist – unknown who your comments (below) are directed at, but Lupien, Kordic and Morrissette were NOT hockey talents.
          Ferguson and Nilan were cut from a different (useful) cloth and, as for Larry Robinson, my view is that his name should not be mentioned in this message string as he was a rare, multi-dimensional talent the likes of which I wish the Habs could find again (or maybe they have ?)
          Laraque was a quick (abeit short term) fix to a longstanding hole in the Habs lineup, which continues to be the inability to deal effectively with the kind of bullying (and this is what it is) directed at too many recent editions of our franchise.

In Montreal, it doesn’t have to be about dressing the unbridled ability to beat the crap out of all comers, but rather, about having the capacity to send REAL ‘ team toughness ‘ (a term that grabbed plenty of traction here not long ago) over the boards when duty calls. Like Bowman did.

IF #33 had thought for a second that he was at some real level of risk for so much as thinking about putting #67 onto a stretcher, the likelihood of Max skating off the ice with the rest of the team at the end of THAT game was a whole lot different.
          I say, let’s find something REAL, and useful, for him and his buddies to think about in 2011-12.

Right then, down off the soap box :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• boing007 says:

Richard R
          How about Knuckles Nilan? Mike Keane?

• LA Loyalist says:

No one, to my knowledge, is calling for a goon, so don’t put words in our collective mouth.

Chris Nilan, John Ferguson, Larry Robinson – - non of them were goons. Hell, I’d settle for what Kovalev did to Darcy Tucker. It’s called stones, courage, whatever you want to call it. Dougie Gilmour had to stick up for Theodore when he played for us, because no one else did.

Was Gainey a goon for getting Laraque? Gainey knew we needed a deterrent, our bad luck that Laraque went vegan on us.

Bowman used to tweak his team from the platoon squad if we were going into Phillie or Beantown. Was he a goon?

When the NHL starts enforcing its rules, and the NHLPA gets the stones to stick up for its own members, then maybe we can draft a bunch of figure skaters, but until then you are freaking dreaming that we will ever win ANYTHING significant, so if you are ok with that, as a “life long habs fan” then fine, knock yourself out.

But I’m not ok with it. I HATE losing to the Beaners and anyone else, and until this team starts to HATE losing, we can shuffle 4th liners around all day and nothing is going to change.

• crazyhabsfan says:

HAHAHAHA… ‘Laraque went vegan on us’ that is freakin AWESOME!! Gonna have to share that one with the boys…

“We’ve got to find a way to beat them. We can’t play hang-on hockey. We’ve got to go out and take it to them and make plays and be aggressive. If you play hang-on hockey in this league, they’re going to beat you.”
          -Mike Cammalleri
          I think it’s time to change it up a bit JM…

• Mark C says:

No one is calling for a goon? Did you miss all the Konopka crap for two weeks?

21. ooder says:

sooo… what’s going down with david fischer… didn’t the canadiens choose not to qualify him or something?
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

22. filincal says:

Brilliant acquisition…trade former first rounder for younger former first rounder.
    Actually, I really don’t see anything wrong with this move. Carle didn’t fit the mold/role they thought he would. Maybe he just didn’t develop quick enough and PG wasnt willing to offer another minor league contract.

• CanadienBoy says:

108 AHL to 223 why not

• Talik Sanis says:

Mitera is only one month younger, and is the only former first rounder of the pair.

Carle had the role of the right-handed offensive defenseman and power play specialist in Hamilton. He lost his job to Weber, then Subban, then Weber again (and probably would have lost it next year to Diaz). Carle didn’t hold down that job in the AHL, let alone display the talent needed to move into the NHL.

Carle’s role was already filled here (a fact he was probably well aware of), so we moved him for another bust, one that may actually fill a need in Hamilton and develop into a role-player on the Canadiens, potentially filling a team need down the road (though that is highly unlikely). As Anaheim lacks quality right shooting defensemen, Carle may get a better shot there than with our team, where he had none.

• FishOutOfWater says:

carle was selected 53rd overall, second round

23. REB says:

Didn’t one of the mock drafts that year have Mitera projected as the Canadiens’ pick?

24. Morenz7 says:

In a couple of years we might be able to ice a team made up entirely of defencemen. JM will love it.

25. kinda looks like Ryan O’Byrne part deux. hope he fairs better than burner did here.

26. jo_maka says:

PG is on some bulldozers stacking chore…..the next years look good on the D.

On another note, how about this ?

_________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

27. SPATS says:

Acceuillons… nos Americens! ;o)

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

28. Bugs says:

Wasn’t Poolio 6’3, 215, former 1st round draft selection as well?
    And how tall is former 1st round draft selection Eller?
    Both gotten in trades as well.
    Except they’ve SUITED up in the NHL (so has Carle for that matter, no?)
    Point is: does “former 1st round draft selection” really MEAN anything 5 years down the line with not one game played in the Bigs?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

29. habs178 says:

Like his size….I’d like to see what he brings.

“How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?”
    ~Jacques Plante

30. slapshot777 says:

I guess PG is going to do a complete overall of the Bulldogs just like Gainey did with the Habs. I guess only time will tell if this will be a good trade.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.