Who is Jeff Woywitka?

woywitka

The Canadiens signed defenceman Jeff Woywitka today (here’s the official announcement) and the obvious question is what does he bring to Montreal?

A 27 year-old native of Vermilion, Alberta (he’ll be 28 on Sept. 1), Wyowitka was a UFA who played the last two seasons with Dallas and averaged nearly 18 minutes a game in 2010-11. He didn’t play much at the start of last season, a healthy scratch for 16 of the Stars’ first 19 games. But he was inserted in the lineup by then-Coach Marc Crawford on Nov. 24 when Mark Fistric went down with a groin injury and Woywitka earned a permanent spot with consistent play.

“He’s done exactly what you want him to do,” said Crawford in December. “He’s taken advantage of an opportunity and he’s performed very well. That’s a great sign from any player, and I definitely think that he has gotten more comfortable playing every game.”

He’s a strong skater, perhaps his best asset, is a lefthanded shot and right now probably qualifies as a depth defenceman although he can obviously handle regular minutes in the NHL and perhaps needs to play regularly to be at his best. He likes to move the puck and can play a decent physical game. How well and consistently he does those things has always been the big questons with him as an NHLer.

Considered a two-way defenceman with good size (6-foot-3, 227 pounds), Woywitka was originally a Flyers first round pick, 27th overall, in 2001, the same year he played on the Memorial Cup champion Red Deer Rebels. He became something of a point producer in Red Deer, and a WHL All-Star in each the next two seasons. He averaged nearly a point a game in 2002-03, his last junior season and was selected as the WHL’s top defenceman.

He also played for Team Canada’s Silver Medal entry in the 2003 World Junior Championships. He was ranked 13th among North American prospects by Central Scouting in their final ranking, rising from 17th at midseason. Central Scouting praised his “strong passing skills,” his “ability to join the rush” and his “hard accurate shot from the point.” But he has not developed as a consistent offensive threat in pro hockey.

His Red Deer coach, Brent Sutter, said in the NHL’s 2001 Entry Draft Guide that, “Jeff is a solid defenceman that can play the game any way you want to. He is a 17-year-old that plays against the opposition’s top lines. He’s an intelligent player and also a great team guy.”

Wyowitka didn’t make the NHL until 2005-06 with the Blues, at 22, and by that time he had been traded twice, once from Philly to Edmonton in the deal that sent Robbie Schremp the other way, and from Edmonton to St. Louis in the deal that sent Chris Pronger north. As Blues property, he shuttled back and forth between St. Louis and their Peoria AHL team for the next three seasons before landing a regular spot in 2008-09.

He had a few scraps in his final season playing for St. Louis, but is not a frequent fighter and readers of hockeyfights.com have never given him a victory in any of the six NHL fights listed on his card. He had the reputation of a physical d-man coming out of junior with triple digit PIMs in his last two junior seasons. But once he turned pro, he focused more on his positional play and, according to Hockey’s Future.com, wasn’t considered a physical defenceman by the time he became a regular NHLer.

Dallas signed him as a free agent before the start of the 2009-10 season, after the Blues did not give him a qualifying offer as an RFA. The Stars gave him a one-way contract for the first time in his career. Terms of his deal with the Habs have yet to be made public, but he made only $700,000 last season, so he’s probably something of a bargain.

His parents own a farm in Alberta, according to this Q&A on the Stars website from 2009. He likes camping and golfing in the summer.

1. christophor says:

As far as AHL quality goes, Hamilton is stacked at D.

Btw, where is a customary Woywitka highlight reel?

• naweed235 says:

i’ll give u a preview from what I saw on youtube… the guy can take shltloada punches and still stand on his legs…
      I don’t know if that’s a good thing…

• Everlasting1 says:

What’s the point? After this organization’s intro/outro musical chair signings of late..Mara, Sopel, Wisniewski, it becomes superfluous.

——————————————————————-
      “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

D musical chair game in the waiting. Good depth acquisition. Habs are inching toward the cup… in 50 some years we’ll be there… you’ll see.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Players the Flyers could have picked in 2001 instead of JW:

– Michael Cammalleri
    – Tomas Plekanec
    – Jason Pominville
    – Derek Roy
    – Patrick Sharp (Actually they did pick him)
    – Kevin Bieksa

5. SmartDog says:

Weird. I can post.
    But I can’t reply to posts.
    WTF?

*****WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. *****

6. SmartDog says:

Okay, so I’m glad we’re building up some depth in big, NHL experienced D-men. That’s a smart thing. And I think we’re becoming a powerhouse on D so keep it goin’ PG.

But how about a little depth at forward. Where’s our Faceoff specialist?

*****WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. *****

7. thehabsfan29 says:

I really like the woywitka signing.

now im just hoping PG signs Chris Drury to a 1yr/1mil contract

8. Bugs says:

Woywitka, that’s the guy with the nose on his face, right? The one who walks left foot, right foot, left foot?
    Yeah, I know him.
    Decent fella.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

9. Dwayne33 says:

At least his jersey number is now available in Montreal

10. Marc10 says:

Interesting signing. PG is loading up our D. Maybe he liked what we did with O’Byrne so much he wants to replicate that deal a couple of times over in the future.

If you can’t draft the forwards you want, maybe developing depth on D (a much prized commodity by many other teams) is the way to go. Assuming Hamilton keeps churning out decent D, the Habs keep the Blue Chippers a la Subban and (Allah willing) Beaulieu and ship off the depth signings once they’ve been made NHL ready to Colorados of the world. At least I’m hoping that’s what PG is after.

Then again, who the heck knows… but there’s got to be a reason for signing an endless of drove of Dmen.

• HardHabits says:

JM’s pairs of forwards will be just that, pairs of forwards. It’ll be 3-D on the back end and 2-D up front with krob’s centre defence man theory put into play. The Habs have two of the best centre defence men in Subban and Markov and with Weber, Yemelin and possibly Diaz the Habs are deep at centre D.

11. thehabsfan29 says:

Former Canuck / WPG jet Tough Guy Rick Rypien was found dead in his home

Reports say he committed suicide

Only 27 years old…

• There seems to be an epidemic with NHL “tough guys” getting into trouble with depression or substance abuse or both. The NHL really needs to put more effort into helping it’s people.

• Bill J says:

Well, I believe it is scientifically proven now that the “tough guy” suffers more head injuries, leading to depression by affected brain trauma.

I think Crosby, could be done. Lindros part deux. I hope the NHL will take notice.

If you want a days count till Habs hockey, I recommend this as your home page: http://bit.ly/mTnegr

• It’s definitely scientifically proven, although the NHL refuses to diagnose concussions after fights.

I’m also worried about Crosby. I really hope I’m wrong and the Penguins are just being careful, but at this stage it’s not looking good. Really terrible, I love watching Crosby whenever he isn’t lighting up the Habs.

• Nahlsy says:

From http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/288194

“Research by the Star has found at least 30 players whose careers were ended by concussion – or in large part due to concussion – since 1996, when the issue was given more attention after the early retirement of Brett Lindros. But Colin Campbell, the NHL’s executive vice-president and director of hockey operations, believes that number is inflated.

“Some are legitimate,” said Campbell. “I think some you might find aren’t legitimate. … I think there’s a small percentage, not a great percentage, of players who use it as an excuse, `Oh yeah, I’ve got a concussion.’ They can milk it. It’s a hard thing to really say that you haven’t, you know, if you’re trying to get some extra insurance money out of it to get paid an extra year or something.”

Also…

Campbell, who acts as the NHL’s disciplinarian, cites an interesting discussion with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren after one of numerous transgressions by his players.

“I said, `Homer, he was hitting to hurt him,'” recalled Campbell. “He said, `Well, don’t we hit to hurt?’ I said, `I’m not so sure. That’s a good question.'”

Yet Campbell calls the lack of respect theory “a crock.”

“I just think that that’s overblown and the players who say it don’t understand,” he said. “Players are competitive. We sell hate. Our game sells hate. You guys, the media, sell hate. … It was worse (in the ’70s when he played), in my opinion.”

And….

“If this was knee injuries that were threatening players’ careers, they’d do something about knee hunting,” said Bishop, former chair of kinesiology at the University of Waterloo. “But they seem to be very reluctant to do anything about head hunting.”

But again Campbell argues against conventional wisdom, saying outlawing head hits could make players more vulnerable because they’d be more prone to skate with their heads down. He notes that many head hits come from clean bodychecks.

“That’s just part of our game,” he said. “The F1 (Formula One auto racing ) – I’m not talking death in our business – but the F1 with a death, do they put restraints on the car so they can only go 110?”

Etc… you get the idea. Thank goodness Greg’s Dad is out of his last position, his incompetence was far too dangerous and it could be said it in part has contributed to the deaths of two young men this summer.

• ooder says:

“The NHL really needs to put more effort into helping it’s people.”
        the NHL is pathetic in that regard… and doesn’t give two sh!ts about its players… unless those players bring in money
        unfortunately for Rypien, he didn’t

——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Agreed. Hell, they didn’t give a crap about Crosby either. And to be quite honest, neither did the Penguins until he got hit the second time. Especially in the regular season, teams need to realize that 2 points isn’t worth a life. Pittsburgh could pay very dearly for putting Crosby back in that game and in the next one. They were in bankruptcy before he was drafted, and could easily go back there.

• neumann103 says:

Andrew, I agree with your general implication that teams don’t care about putting players back in too soon and risking further injury, but I have to believe that in Crosby’s case he wanted back in right away. As a team -and as a league – you have to protect players from themselves when their competitive spirit makes them want to leap back in. Which is a little different than the callous team throwing the star fodder back into the maw. (not to say that does not happen, eg with Lindros)

“Et le but!”

• Stooof says:

I don’t think it’s as easy as painting these guys into brain damaged depressed individuals. Innumerable people commit suicide or OD on drugs every year and don’t need a few hits to the head to get them there. This could also be a case of sexual abuse as a young hockey player, another thing that is rampant in hockey yet never talked about. Personally I think that would drive someone to depression faster than a concussion. Just my 2 cents.

• The problem with your assertion vs mine, is that these players were documented as having suffered concussions in the past, and depression is a major side effect of repeated concussions. Whereas you’re making a giant leap of logic to sexual abuse, which although fairly common, has not been linked to any of these people.

• Bill says:

The NHL’s negligence is one thing, the NHLPA’s, however, is worse and harder to understand. The NHL is run by a craven vampire who answers only to the bottom line: his people tell him fighting and violence sells, so it stays.

The NHLPA, on the other hand, is supposed to be “by the players, for the players” … so how come it remains so resolutely mute on protecting its members’ health?

If I’m running the NHLPA, safety is my top priority, even over wages. You can’t collect wages if you retire early due to needless injury. ANd it’s easier to negotiate safety issues than salary issues, I’m guessing.

Zero Tolerance on headshots, hits from behind, stick infractions, and any other “intent to injure” plays. Meaning automatic ejection, major penalty, automatic 20-game suspensions and bigger fines.

No fighting.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SeriousFan09 says:

You’ve got that right, the NHLPA’s silence on this issue is damning.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• neumann103 says:

Agreed. The NHLPA seems to have as its overriding principle to avoid saying anything that even in theory undermines the ability of any class of member in making a living in pro hockey. While I can see a valid argument that the PA ought not to just be about the stars, and can understand that the baseballization/basketballization of salary structures where so many players are making over $4M or under $1M is a potentially divisive demarcation point, but they have to understand that this syndrome is a potentially existential threat to any member’s career, and there is zero value in protecting the jobs of marginal 4th liners whose ability to cling to a roster spot may depend on willingness to walk on the edge.

Or Matt Cooke

“Et le but!”

• ProHabs says:

Wow, what a shock and a shame. He was a tough customer and I was actually hoping the Habs would sign him this off season. RIP.

• D Mex says:

Tragic. He was a legitimate heavyweight who got into an incident with a fan, which prompted the ‘ decision ‘ for him to leave the Canucks. Many ‘ right things ‘ were said at the time …

I will be interested to know if, like Probert and others, he too had agreed to participate in posthumous brain trauma research. If memory serves, he was related to former Redskins QB Mark Rypien.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Trisomy 21 says:

I almost forgot about that incident. I would be curious about what that fan would think of this. Seemed like a prick to me, suggesting he should be fired since it’s what would happen in an ordinary job.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Senseless loss… He had been battling depression for some time to my understanding.

Don’t want to turn this into about fighting Vs non-fighting though, we should remember that later on, Stephane Richer admitted to dealing with depression through his NHL career. It’s an unfortunate psychological condition that I wish more people would get help for, and stick with getting the help.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

Yeah but once the Decepticons get word of this signing the Bulldogs are screwed.

Are you Jeff Woywitka?
    Are you username: LadiesMan217?

13. twocents says:

OMG the Flyers blew a first round pick! OMG… OMFG!!!!!

I thought only the Habs did that. Or, that’s how some like to see it.

14. punkster says:

Thanks Stu.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

15. db says:

If he’s a good skater and can learn then he’s in the right place. Gill and Spacek can definitely help him out. Gill on how to play positionally, Spacek on ice time (ie. Witty gets ice time after Spatch gets plastered on the boards).

Amen to not having to give away a draft pick for this depth!

I dub he Witty.

Pro scouting is on the ball in Montreal, who had this guy on their radar? Good potential too, former 1st (but honestly after #15 it’s all the same imo).

Overall, a complete no risk signing and we need that depth with actual NHL experience. I’m sure Diaz (and company) will make it eventually but this is a team that’s going for the cup so no need to rush the kids (unless they’re price, pk or pax).

And he finished +5 on a brutal Dallas team last year…

• Chris says:

I actually did have Woywitka on my radar as a potential depth defencemen. I’ve never been a big fan of trying to sign the “name” UFA’s: you pay too much for guys that are often on the wrong side of 30.

I was looking at the group of UFA’s that had played some decent minutes and were under 28 years old: Anton Babchuk from Calgary, Woywitka and a guy that I haven’t heard much about: Anton Stralman. Stralman had a decent year with the Blue Jackets a couple of years ago (31 points in 74 games) and is still only 25 years old, so he can still grow past his inconsistency. Sounds like he’s going back to Sweden unless there’s a last-minute contract offer from someone in the NHL.

16. Mr. Biter says:

Nice signing, but I am still waiting for a big tough 4th line winger(or higher) to go along with White. Eller can play on my team any time. Seperate your shoulder,go into the tunnel and pop it back in and go back into the fray vs. the Broons, seperates the men from the boys and watching his devolpement during last year He’s going to be a top six very soon and be one for a long time. AK, words escape me. What would be an appropriate trade for him?

Mr. Biter

• neumann103 says:

The thing about Eller and his shoulder was that he went out and played a physically dominant game afterwards. There was a point mid way through the third period of game 7 where he contained the entire bruins team for about 40 seconds, hitting everything that moved going boards to boards.

Don Cherry credited the habs energy to Ryan White making one big hit on the next shift, but Lars Freaking Eller set the tone.

This kid is full of upside in every area of the game. Honestly I have not been this taken with a Habs prospect since Plekanec.

“Et le but!”

Another helping of sizzling grits please.

18. LA Loyalist says:

Finally the master plan is clear. JM doesn’t plan on playing any forwards, ever.

We will set a league record for icing the puck and play the entire 11/12 season in our own end (or until JM is fired).

Poor Carey Price.

• A. Berke says:

+ 1

Ali B.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Your attempts at trolling are getting worse. What form you once had is clearly gone.

• db says:

So, about this trolling thing… what a waste of time and does it ever make the “troller” look as smart as they think they are? No.

I have young room mates, like they’re 19 and I’m 32. They like to troll you.. in person, which is extremely frustrating. I’m all for debate, but when your “argument” is nonsense it makes me want to punch you for wasting my time.

I either end up thinking they’re stupid if what they’re spewing is an actual belief or that they’re REALLY stupid for thinking they’re funny(?)…

Ya I get it, they think it’s funny to try to get under peoples skin… but for F^$%@ sake at least get under my skin with skills. Have a REAL opinion. I’m all for Devil’s advocate etc, but this is ridiculous. I don’t mind at all when someone is messing with me. But that’s in the name of humour… this. WTF is this.. trolling. Damn, go outside and play or something.

*Deep breathe*
        I feel better now.

Just to clarify, I don’t hate trollers… I accept their ignorance and hope to educate. It ain’t funny and Nobody respects them so smarten up kids.

• Your commentary has become a little sad. Tell us again how your kid is better at faceoffs than Scott Gomez.

• Mark C says:

You always whine about this team being full of smurfs and how Montreal needs male hockey players. PG signs a 6’3″ 227 lbs depth D and this is your take? Lame.

19. Bill J says:

Another nice depth signing. Wow at the defensive depth PG has picked up this summer.

I think it’s safe to say no more rental defencemen next year.

Thanks Stu for a very detailed report, not long after the announcement.

20. AnimalMother says:

We are going to start this season the way we are. Every team makes adjustments during and after training camp, not prior. PG will be patient and see which teams become desperate and package AKost and whichever dman doesn’t show up to one of these teams for a replacement.
    Ak won’t be dealt until the youngsters are judged. When one of them steps up ak is bye-bye.
    Does anyone have a problem with us going after B. Winchester or J. Ruutu???

21. HabFab says:

Know it was mentioned earlier about the NHL.com season preview for the Habs. Beside the article there are also 10 videos in case you missed.

22. jonnyp says:

I think it’s a great pick up by PG! Good back up player if one of the top 4 d goes done hurt ! Thumbs up goat

23. I like two-way call ups like this. It says to the player “hey, work your butt off if you get the call up and you’re back in the NHL” even if there is no room, the player can be traded for a good pick or prospect. It works out both ways, for the player and team. Good move by Gauthier.

24. Ayan_SB says:

This guy’s a terrible defencemen. Crawford giving him top-4 minutes last year is one of the many reasons why Dallas missed the playoffs.

Hopefully he’s just AHL depth and nothing more.

• Bill J says:

Not arguing this guys talent with you, but I will say that’s an awful wide brush stroke your painting with.

I think Dallas’s issues where far greater weaknesses in nearly all areas. Starting with the coach you mention. ;)

You can say what you want about Gauthier, but at least he has brought in some decent depth players for the farm team. They may never play on a regular basis for the Habs but they also didn’t cost us anything (Carle wasn’t making the team this year and would have to pass waivers).

Blunden (24/6’4″/211), Woywitka (27/6’2″/225) and Mitera (23/6’4″/215) are all young guys who have lots of size. That’s something we have bitched about for years so at least the new additions fit that role. They also will play for the league minimum if they ever get called up. What’s to lose?

Diaz doesn’t fit the same player profile but he at least is the equal of a mid round pick. In essence, he’s the return for Maxwell and/or Sopel (with the 4th rounder being the other half). I can live with that.

I’ll be happy if even one of these four guys can make the team in some way as a secondary player and/or sub during the next few years. Even if it’s only for part of a season. They are all high end picks so it’s worth the gamble.

• HabFab says:

Steve, you are forgetting Brian Willsie (6’1″,200) with 381 NHL games. He performs this role for the forwards also minus the youth…veteran grit! ;) yuk yuk!

• 24 Cups says:

Frank – I thought about including Willsie but I think he’s going to Hamilton to fill the same role as Henry. Get paid above the AHL average salary ($225,000) to tutor the kids. He might get called up if the sky falls, just like Henry ($200,000) did a few years ago.

BTW, Woywitka’s contract is two-way with a split of $650,000 (NHL) and $105,000 (AHL)

• HabFab says:

Steve, the yuk yuk was an embarrassed edit. Picked that up on the second read, however same thing. More depth in Hamilton to cover injuries and help develop the kids. All good and can’t wait for the season to start.

26. cheezboie says:

Woywitka – a first round pick entering D prime at 28 with size & grit – thumbs up to the signing! GO HABS GO!

My armchair GM 11/12 Habs –
    cap hit of 61.419 mill
    leaving 2.881 million for adding sandpaper (cap ceiling 64.3 million)

Camm 6 – Pleks 5 – Cole 4.5
    MaxPac 1.625 – Gomez 7.357– Gio 5
    Desharnais 0.850 – Eller 1.27 – AK46 (off-wing) 3.25
    Moen 1.5 – White 0.625 – Darche 0.7

call ups – Palushaj, Engqvist 0.900

Markov (lefty) 5.75 – Gorges (lefty) (3)
    Gill (lefty) 2.25 – Subban (righty) 0.875
    Yemelin (lefty) 0.984 – Spacek (lefty) 3.833
    Weber (righty) 0.850 (can also use as RW/PP specialist a la Streit)

call ups –
    Woywitka (lefty) Diaz (righty) 0.9
    Nash (lefty)

Price 2.75
    Budaj 1.15

-0.5 Laraque buyout

27. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Aah. This season’s Paul Mara – welcome.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Hehe, i was thinking the same thing, altho i see potential, 27 is still very young, well 28, and he was a 1st rounder, which means he must have shown some sparks of great play…

Its all too common that a player is reborn on a new team, and if you can skate, habs is a great team to be on.

28. ddupuis says:

6’3″…230lbs…its always the first thing I check when I see the Habs sign a player. We have lots of skilled players and if he can add 230lbs of chemistry, I love it! Hopefully he doesn’t have a snot nosed little brother who bitches about the coaching…

DD…

29. durocher says:

From the Hockey News on Woywitka:

ASSETS: Has great size and strength. Displays a nice all-around package. Can produce points at lower levels.
    FLAWS: Struggles with confidence issues at the NHL level. Lacks defensive polish and makes too many mistakes with the puck.
    CAREER POTENTIAL: Depth defenseman.

30. Un Canadien errant says:

Off-topic, and I did get some negative comments when I posted on the Bengals last, but I am fascinated with how bad an organization it is. As the writer points out in the article I link below, with the draft and shared revenue, each NFL franchise should have an equal shot at being successful. Yet the Bungles are consistently, reliably putrid.

This is not due to bad luck, but rather due to unstable ownership. Note that the Bengals have been owned by the same family for decades, it’s just the family members who are unbalanced. Mike Brown, son of the team’s founder Paul Brown, has refused to hire a GM and serves in that capacity, and catastrophically so. He relies on the league’s central scouting and only recently hired a couple of token team scouts. Their quarterback for the last decade, Carson Palmer, has chosen to retire rather than continue to play for them.

When George Gillett bought the Canadiens a few years back, I shuddered, afraid that we had a Mike Brown or Harold Ballard on our hands. He turned out to be a benevolent owner who cashed out to a buyers’ group that will continue to provide stable ownership and leadership. Spending a lot of time on HIO can make us lose track of how fortunate we are to be Canadiens’s fans, both in terms of our history and in terms of where the franchise is headed.

The article is from a Sports Illustrated reporter who used to cover the Bengals for a local paper. Somehow SI has two guys on staff who have been tortured by the Bengals for years, maybe it’s good training. Some really great lines in the article, too many to choose a favourite, but here is one:

“When the Browns returned to Cleveland, I wrote a letter to the city’s mayor, thanking him for bringing the NFL back to Ohio.”

———————————
    For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

31. Former Jets Fan says:

The only comment I have on this signing : quite pleased depth on defense is being addressed now, rather than in February when it costs draft picks.

• 24 Cups says:

Exactly. Now I’m just waiting for us to do the same up front.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree I don’t really like anyone we have on the dogs to jump into the 4th line grinder role. Trotter would be the closest as he does grind well in the offensive zone and he can score. He is pretty light though.

Engqvist as well but I am not totally sold on this kid yet. only 25 points in the AHL last year in 71 games. Dustin boyd was bounced down and played a heck of a lot better in AHL. Not sure

• 24 Cups says:

Trotter is too small and can’t really step in and play centre. That means he’s fighting Palushaj for a job on RW. Not to mention that DD might also be in line for that spot on the 3rd unit.

I can’t see DD as a 4th line centre so that leaves White and Engqvist. Whoever wins the job better be decent in the face-off circle and on the PK or we’ll be in a bit of a spot.

• REB says:

Cammy – Pleks – AK46
          Gionta – Gomez – Cole
          MaxPac – DD – Trotter
          Moen – White/Enqvist – Darche

Eller starts the season riding the pine, waiting for Gomez to not produce, sub him in from time to time, and let him take the job away from Gomez.

The DD line really intrigues me; DD has had good success with both players, and both players have had good success with him.

• 24 Cups says:

REB – I’ll be shocked if Trotter makes the team over Eller once he’s healthy. G&G didn’t trade a Halak for a Trotter (unless it’s Bryan:-)

• HardHabits says:

@24C: That would be Trottier.

• Rugger says:

Yes, very pleased the PG seems to be evaluating what went wrong last year and trying to make sure it isn’t repeated (i.e. as you said spending picks to cover injuries in Feb).

32. PrimeTime says:

Well if can’t fight, how is he going to help up us win the Belt…I mean Cup?? Joking aside, hope he can add some reliable depth when needed…..you know after the Big Bad Bears beat us up. Ewwww!

33. ProHabs says:

Thanks for this Stu. Good to know a little more about this player.

34. Don’t now much about Woywitka, but I’ve read he isn’t very good defensively. To his credit, he is a big body, so that can’t be bad.

35. canuckbot says: