White called up from Hamilton

The Canadiens have recalled Ryan White from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

White, 22, 6-feet and 198 pounds, has played three games for the Canadiens this season, those during his first callup in late January. He had a shot and five penalty minutes and was plus-1. He has three goals and nine assists in 33 games with the Bulldogs, one goal on the power play, and 77 penalty minutes.

Only the sound of a coffee percolator in the media work room and the smell of disinfectant outside the Canadiens dressing room (no comment) at ice level at the Bell Centre, 45 minutes before a few Habs are expected to skate in advance of tonight’s game against the New York Islanders.

The Canadiens should have a few players available following an 11:15 team meeting. The Islanders, who sat in Montreal last night watching the fiasco that was the Montreal-Bruins game in Boston, are expected to skate at 11:30.

Audio, maybe some video and updates here later. Live bits and pieces from Stubbs on Twitter here.

1. Hobie Hansen says:

No wrong again! It would be nice if the Habs had a guy to step in for Subban so he can take on someone his own size…

Ya i care about PP goals as much as you, but not when our guys are lying on the ice in a pool of blood and the game is lost already.

2. Kooch7800 says:

I think getting tough with our team was their game plan.  They had lost so many in a row that is the only way to beat us.  Philly does it as well.

I am really not a fan of Chara.  He is up there wtih Cooke to me.

His next contract, he will pay his club to be able to play, if he gets to signs another with someone.!

4. Caballero says:

I am totally shocked becase Gomez usually has a very short fuse. AK46 and Gomez looked pretty bad last night.

They won’t get away with the goon style come play off time. By the way, we are still paying Big George Laraque contract.

6. Mark C says:

Pretty much how I feel. Love the way he plays, he brings a lot of great attributes to the team. I don’t even think his play is hurting the team. However, I’m starting to think he needs the Max-Pac treatment, and not even for as long as Max did. Once Cammalleri returns Eller pretty much becomes 4th liner as it stands today. At some point it’s going to make a lot of sense to try and get him playing his best game, and the best place for that is Hamilton.

7. Kooch7800 says:

He is having trouble cracking the bulldogs line up.  He is a healthy scratch all the time.  Too bad I thought he was going to be a decent prospect for the third and fourth line.

Not sure what the issue is with him though

8. The Cat says:

I dont think any call up would please the fans right now, unless its ‘Abdullah the butcher’.

9. krob1000 says:

I think he is our best dman by a country mile now…and will be for year sto come unless Markov somehow recovers his form despite being older and on wonky knees. Who is our best dman?

10. Mark C says:

There are pretty much zero fights in the playoffs, Boston had 3 last year in 13 games.

11. Kooch7800 says:

Thanks god we didn’t have Komi last night.  We would have watched him get tooled by Lucic and Chara

12. G-Man says:

Habs better beat them by scoring more because, as a team, the Habs cannot fight. Pathetic.

13. G-Man says:

Shaking with laughter, Timo. Shaking with laughter.

14. Trenton_Romulox says:

Honestly, not seeing Gomez take any stupid penalties or do anything of the sort was incredibly disappointing to me in a way. It indicated to me that he didn’t care. And when you have someone who doesn’t care, that’s far, far worse than having a player who simply plays poorly. Last night, Gomez did both. If I was Jacques Martin, I’d sit Gomez tonight. I’d sit Gomez until I saw something in him spark during a practice, something in him snap. ‘Cause right now, he’s just running on fumes, fumes of lazy and stupid. And at some point something has to change inside of Gomez, he’s gotta find a way to take it to another level. He doesn’t deserve to play right now.

15. TomNickle says:

Ian that’s completely incorrect.  I’m sorry, I have a lot of respect for you.  But there is no supplementary discipline for Ference’s slash on Plekanec, nothing on Marchand for his hit on Wisniewski and nothing for Julien for a line brawl in a decided game with under 5 minutes left.  Colin Campbell protects the team his son plays for.  If you want evidence.  Lucic punched Freddy Meyer in the face when Meyer couldn’t see it coming and got nothing other than a $10,000 fine that you and I both know the team pays for.

16. Exit716 says:

Yeah, but I’m suggesting that it would be a way to entice his team to let him leave if they got some form of compensation back in terms of Kostitsyn. Last night pretty much finished any small hope I had of him being any type of impact player. He’s just lazy and stupid.

17. gumper says:

Okay, I get it now. That’s got be the weirdest suggestion I’ve every heard, but I have to admit that if, by getting rid of AKost you could acquire Yemelin, you’d have to give it some serious thought.

Ya! He realy looked first class creaming Gionta time and time again. 100lbs and 14″  taller.

Next game a two hander slash across Chara’s nose works for me, and I will pay for the fine.!

19. punkster says:

Hamrlik, hands down. And that in itself tells you just how weak our D is right now. Unless all of them are playing to their strengths we have a tough time competing. Fortunately all the regulars seem to perform well most of the time in their specialty roles. For example, without a solid, stay at home Gill (one of the leagues better shot blockers and poke checkers) PK is a huge liability. Getting better all the time but making brain dead rookie mistakes. All the regular D (and I exclude Picard) have strengths and together they usually do very well. But to crown PK with the title “Best” at this point is just a bit scary. Again, this is why we need that big, experienced D in a trade soon if we hope to go anywhere in the playoffs.

***Subbang!!!***

20. TomNickle says:

My only point here Ian is that the Bruins can get away with whatever they want and they know it.  Why do you think they made it a battle royal last night?  Colin Campbell.  They know that they have protection from the league office and can do whatever they want because of it.  If today doesn’t confirm it nothing else will.

Chara’s slash to the back of(PacheratySpell?) leg. I would put him on notice publicly, next time he tries to injure one of our players, he will get a two hander across the face. I would have no problem with that.

22. gumper says:

You usually do beat teams by scoring more, not by fighting better.

I think you are trying to see it the white way… PK is the best D we have. He just needs a bit of JMing and he will be the superstar the likes of which the world has never seen.

Point taken my friend.

25. krob1000 says:

I couldn’t disagree more.  Subban is a better defender than either Gill or Hamrlik IMO ..and I mean defensively as well. Gill is slow and conceds the blueline everytime, his only real strength is on the PK or playing with an offensvive guy and staying back to allow the other guy to contribut otherwise I find Gill well below average.  Hammer is aging and two years ago was great…but right now he needs his minutes reduced…he still has something to offer but Subban is better in every aspect…as a rookie IMO!  Spatch and Hammer are essentially trhe same player and we really only have room for one, Gorges and Gill who are our shutdown guys both have glaring deficiencies…if you could comibne them they would be great but one is too small and the other too big and not mobile enough.  Hammer gets caught more tha Subban..but Hamemr can’t recover anymore.  Subban usually redeems himself with his skating ability if he turns it over or makes an error…he has made his share but I would suggest that Hammer, Sopatcha nd Gill have been responsible for far more goals against than PK…and have nowhere near the impact in leaving our end, maintaining possession, gaining the other zoe, scoring in general,etc.

A well rested and sharp Hammer and Spatch makes them very competent but Subban is already better in every aspect but perhaps positioning defensively…pk is learning that but he still gets away with it because of his raw ability most of the time.  I like Hammer…but he is now a shutdown guy who I would prefer to have playing Gill’s role with Subban.  I would personally like Gill gone and replaced with a hard nosed shutdown guy….he is too limited….I do like that his postiional attention to detail is something others can emulate…and better because they can still skate…but I would prefer him to be a seventh dman and fill in sixth dman.  Weber is too small for the role needed right now too….we have offense in P and Wiz, Hammer and Spatch offer a smidgen too….Weber can’t play the shutdown role well enough and isn’t tough enough to protect our house…I do think Weber hads one better than expected ina role that is the polar opposite of his skilset…but.

We need anotehr dman…and a top nine forward who can stand up for guys, muck it up in front, and bring some vet leadership.

26. Gormdog says:

That is too funny. You’ve mentionned a few times that you were rolling in dough, and I literally thought to myself last night: “Man, you know, I bet Mr. Cobb would gladly pay the fine / missing suspention salary of a Hab who had it in him to cross-check Chara in the neck”

Seems I was right!

Oh NO!!!! My credibility!!!! It’s all I had left on this site. Sigh.

28. Mats Naslund says:

Clear as day. PK landed a clean hit on Marchand last time out which has opened him up to constant cheap-shots in behind the play. Last night he tried to steer clear of it – but there is only so much a person can take. The result is that the Bruins goat until he bites and all of their ‘tough’ guys talk smack about how he won’t back up his talk. Its hilarious really. If we had Moen follow Seguin around all game people would be screaming bloody murder. But in PK’s case – the media has lead everyone to believe that he is Sean Avery’s younger, black brother – and thus opposing teams have carte blanche to chase around a rookie.

29. Mr. Biter says:

great Idea and also throw in the Undertaker.

30. punkster says:

Damn…had a great post all ready to go then hit “post comment” and watched my connection fail. That’s my excuse 😉

OK, so in a nutshell, good response from you and I must agree with most of your points. My long winded response had something to do with PK and if he gets his rookieness fixed up he’ll be our best. Definitely, but for now I see Hamrlik as the number 1.Different strokes.

However, your last line says it all. We need another D man. Discussing who is best at this or that can be subjective. The real issue is the requirement for another D, preferably someone large, mobile, with experience and not afraid to play physical.

***Subbang!!!***

31. Bash says:

From other thread…

Please…enough of the “we need to get bigger” speeches. A dead horse could figure that out. Why hasn’t Gauthier?   This is a frontier justice league!

When the Clarke led Flyers bullied their way to “glory” Montreal responded. How many of you remember the night Bowman started his 5 biggest players, including Savard and Lapointe on the wings! Message sent!

What is so sad is the the escalation of goonery in this era. Cooke et al must pay the piper. The league seems unwilling to do it and that leaves no choice…teams have to defend themselves.

Beating up a smaller player/ non fighter after you have clearly won a decision should be suspendable. Who am I kidding…it was Campbell! Price and Pouliot both landed one punch and then stopped…would we be better off if they had pounded the snot out of their opponents who were down?

PK will have to drop them soon if he wants to maintain the swagger. He is not Robinson (yet???) but Larry’s tko of Shultz was a defining moment. Pick the opponent PK, a la Lucic strategy …and make it count.

The return match in Monteal leaves little option unfortunately. I hate to say this but we must bring up Henry and Bonneau for fourth line duty. White plays third line.

The endlessly promoted trade has to happen soon…and yes size matters.

The league has not and will not protect skilled players! Will we do what has to be done?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

32. Mr. Biter says:

Sad times when your goalie is one of your 2 best fighters if not your best.

33. arcosenate says:

Still angry.

I wonder when they’ll figure out that every team is going to play like that against us.

Matt Carkner, I tell you, would have busted a few heads last night.

34. Strabo says:

Pyatt must have got cut up pretty bad. I’m surprised that he wouldn’t be able to go with a cage.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

35. Hobie Hansen says:

Last night’s game will only fuel the debate that is constantly present on this website. Do the Habs need to get tougher or continue to keep the smallish flashy team mentality?

It seems that half the people want a tougher team and the rest are content with a team solely based on speed and skill. I think the right answer is somewhere in between.

The one thing that is getting a little tiresome is that when a person brings up the notion of getting tougher – they’re accused of implying that the team needs to add some goons. Only an idiot would want that and I don’t think that’s what people are insinuating!

People bring up Chris Neal’s name quite often are immediately bashed and called a goon lover. Last time I checked, Neal is just as good as let’s say a Tom Pyatt. I think it would be a great idea for the Habs to send some prospects and a draft pick to Ottawa for Neil and Chris Phillips.  Heck, if they can’t get Phillips maybe replace him with Matt Carkner in a possible deal instead. Carkner could replace Yanick Webber on my team any day!

Mathieu Darche has had a decent season but most teams have a guy like Darche who also has a physical aspect to his game. Our 3rd and 4th lines have ZERO toughness except Travis Moen. When we have the smallest group of top six forwards in NHL history, that’s a problem.

There’s no chance we’ll beat Boston and/or Philadelphia in a 7-game-series unless we add some grit, heart and beef up considerably! End of story!

36. Propwash says:

Somebody must have gotten hurt.

37. j2w4habs25 says:

Frigging BOSTON…. they have stronger players then us… it makes me mad how small we are but i know how fast we are and how good our Dman are when they’re on their game :) Lastnight was some madness game. I didnt like it one bit, but the good thing of this game was Carey Price Rocked Thomas :) OLE that Bruin Fans!… but I also found this interesting article on Carey Price.

Carey Price #31

38. Gormdog says:

Last night was the exception, not the rule guys.

Although, I won’t lie, at one point I was screaming at the TV while Zdeno was third man in on Patches:

“I want a Matt Cooke! Take a two hander to Zdeno’s leg, bite Tim Thomas, slap Julien in the face, and run Marchand from behind. Who cares if you get suspended, me wants revenge!!”

I quickly reverted back to my mild mannered glass half full form.

39. Hobie Hansen says:

Last night was a playoff style game and that’s exactly how the Bruins will come at us in April. And just like last night we’ll be scarred to head into the corners, Lucic will be jabbing at Price and we’ll get run over. So Obvious…

40. The Cat says:

Flashy? Habs top 6 forwards arent faster than any other top 6 forwards in the league, and theyre getting old too.

41. Chuck says:

In hindsight, it would seem that the healthy scratch of Tyler Seguin was a preemptive measure to keep their prized rookie out of a game that they knew would turn out as it did. Absolutely premeditated.

42. Gormdog says:

If every team is going to play that way against us… Why don’t they already?

43. Mark C says:

The Bulldogs play-by-play announcer was on Team990 yesterday and noted that White’s game was back to his preseason level of play, so he has that going for him. I guess Pyatt is out or at least a maybe for tonight. I do wonder if Eller will be sent down to re-group and see if he can take his game to the next level come playoff time.

44. Gormdog says:

If we have “no chance” to beat Boston in a best-of-seven, how are we 3-1 against them this season? Have they not been trying their hardest? Lulling us into a false sense of security?

Habs need to add some “size and toughness” but to go through all that effort with that long post and end on that silly note… Hurts my head a bit!

45. sidhu says:

White should have never been sent down in the first place.  I’m glad PG apparently got the message that we need more grit and toughness.

I hope that he does not settle with White — one guy is not enough.  We’re still too small with him, but it’s a start.

46. StevieRay says:

Does anyone else think that opposing teams are targeting PK in a effort to get him off his game ….It’s starting to look that way to me . If this trend continues our players whether they like it or not ( I think for most it’s a ‘ not’) will need to step up physically ….

47. Gormdog says:

Yep, and we put 4 PPG’s past the best goalie in the league, making them pay for their goonery.

It was an aberration! The Bruins often try to goon it up against us, and usually end up paying the price with a big fat L.

We just happened to be terrible in our own end tonight… THAT’s what cost us, not being small…

I bet Bruins are shaking in their little boots right now.

Absolutely. Despite being a rookie everyone realizes he doesn’t play top minutes for nothing. He is our best dman. It was the same thing with Daughty. Last year’s playoffs opposition was all over him.

50. nickster13 says:

cuz it takes a certain hate level to play like that. Hate/lack of respect, the bruins have it for us, other teams cant hate us as much or have too many skill players to want to do so

51. gumper says:

What’s amusing to me about last night’s game is the attitude coming out of Boston that the matter has been settled once and for all, and the Bruins have established that they are the superior team. (That attitude is reflected in the panic we’re seeing here from  a lot of HIO posters.) It ain’t over till it’s over, and even then there’s always next year. Habs have beaten the Bruins consistently by refusing to engage in the goon-based game they prefer to play. That became impossible last night because (despite what Mr. Harris has to say) the refs lost control of the game early. If penalties like the slew foot on Hammer in the first period are called, the Bruins know they can’t get away with the cheap crap, and decide to play hockey. If not, then you’re in for a night of escalating violence that eventually boils over, terminating with someone being clubbed repeatedly with a piece of equipment. Refs blew this one first to last. Anyhow, mark Mar. 8 on your calendar, when we have them in our barn. Got a feelin’ there’s goin’ to be a couple of cans of whoop-ass opned on the Bs, Habs style.

52. Kooch7800 says:

Wiz looked like Bergeron last night in his own end.  He did come back and contribute on the offense though. More than I can say for half our forwards

53. Hobie Hansen says:

Last time I checked you’re not much of a hockey player if you’re hiding behind a referee and looking over your shoulder and hoping for a call. That’s not the Canadian way…

Remember how team Canada played in the Olympics, running over everyone in sight, that’s how you win hockey games…

Who cares if we put four PP goals in the net after being demolished?

54. Kooch7800 says:

Boyd would get snagged on re-entry waivers for sure

55. Gormdog says:

I’ve been an Eller supporter but I have to agree at this point… Not that I feel he is without value to the team, but, I think for his own good he could use a couple of weeks playing 20 mins a night against lesser competition and build his confidence back up… <p>

But only if they bring him back up and play him at CENTER, where he belongs…

56. Caballero says:

Useless bringing up White. Predictable, and pathetic.

57. smiler2729 says:

I’m gonna book off from work that night on March 8th but I can practically GUARANTEE there’ll be nothing even resembling last night’s game happening again.

58. smiler2729 says:

So who goes on IR or gets sent down?

I’d like to see Dustin Boyd back up too. Send Eller down and send AK46 packing.

59. volcano62 says:

Yep. Bruins had this all planned out.

60. LA Loyalist says:

We don’t have anyone who could reach his neck, except Gill. I’d throw a few loonies in the pot, though.

61. Kooch7800 says:

Pyatt might be still icing his face. Man that looked painful.  Nice of Campbell to just keep hammering a non fighter.  He is as classy as his father

62. Jonson says:

yet to be seen…….the wiz get angry, why not??? the guy is crazy, it would have been nice to see last night

good call up for habs, i dont think it has much to do about lastnight though

63. mrhabby says:

of course teams are targeting PK. He likes to yap so either step up or ease off the yapping.

64. Jonson says:

yeah he def struggled. i just dont know how boston let him dangle out there cause it was sloppy. led to some nice goals though

65. Say Ash says:

Not sure if this has been posted. Flyers’ Shelley lays out five rules of fighting in NHL:

66. Gormdog says:

Bingo. Let them play their gooning game. Normally ends up with the Habs winning…

Which, last time I checked, was what mattered…

67. Chuck says:

Let ’em. I’ll take another 6 goals against them and the victory, because there’s no way in hell that they’ll score another 8.

68. Jonson says:

all this talk about not being tough enough.. why hasnt anybody brought up the fact that they won 3 of the 5 fights lastnight??

they didnt let price get run over, they defended him all night.

plain and simple our d sucked and boston was faster and more skilled.

69. Gormdog says:

Yeah, I bet you were really cheering hard for PK to “man up, Canadian style” and get his head caved in by Lucic’s fists… Right?

And I care about the 4 PP goals. Let me tell you, there are way more powerplays given out in the playoffs than there are fights.

The way some of you act, it’s suprising the Habs ever win a game.

70. Chuck says:

Great point about the refs losing complete control over the game, which is undoubtedly part of what Martin had to say to them outside of the dressing room last night.

Hamrlik and Spacek get jumped in the waning minutes of the game, and the refs give them game misconducts? Sorry, but that doesn’t cut it.

71. Guylafleur10 says:

What about calling up Ian Schultz , saw the kid play in the Dub , tough as nails and can actually play the game , not afraid of anyone .

72. Jonson says:

i dont know about that, im sure it will be the same type again. the bruins are angry, and they will try to do it again next time we play.

73. Shiloh says:

I wonder if they’ve reached the point where Gomez goes on waivers? No team will pick him up at that salary – would we then send him to Hamilton? Or – does he have something left in the tank?

Eller is potentially a very good player – but he really should be playing centre. Does he get some time in Hamilton? Or – does Pyatt get scratched?

How about Campbell hitting Pyatt repeatedly with his elbow pad? He knew it was dislodged but he kept going – wonder what Daddy Dearest thinks of all this? For sure the refs are not the subject of a nasty e-mail because they didn’t give Sonny-Boy anything extra. What an idiot Campbell is – and his kid takes after him.

74. habsguy says:

Wiz was afful lastnight,  he had more give aways than than Komi and Shen put together

75. Gormdog says:

Won 3 out of 5 is a bit generous… I distinctly remember Spacho, Hammer, and Pyatt all got pretty decent beatings, the Spacho one should count for 2 wins!