White back in action; Beaulieu listed as day-to-day as camp continues

The Canadiens were back on the ice Friday in Brossard as training camp continued with the second intra-squad scrimmage in two days.

Defenceman Nathan Beaulieu, who suffered a shoulder injury during Thursday’s scrimmage, did not take part and is listed as day-to-day. Ryan White, who left Thursday’s scrimmage after suffering a cut above his right eye from a high stick, was back in action. He needed seven stitches.

Team Red beat Team White in the scrimmage, with Rene Bourque, Martin Reway and Alex Galchenyuk scoring the goals. White, with his new scar, scored for Team White.

While coaches normally experiment by mixing lines at training camp, Michel Therrien has wasted little time putting together veteran trios that are likely to face the Toronto Maple Leafs in the season opener on Oct. 1 at the Bell Centre.

“I’m a true believer in combinations that work,” Therrien said Thursday. “There are other little plans (if things don’t work out), but I have this vision and I hope it’s going to work. I might try other things, but what you saw is the vision and we hope it’s going to work.”

That vision includes having Lars Eller at centre with Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher; David Desharnais between Max Pacioretty and Daniel Briere; and Tomas Plekanec with Rene Bourque and Christian Thomas, who is filling in for captain Brian Gionta as he recovers from offseason biceps surgery.

On Saturday, the Canadiens will play an informal Red vs. White scrimmage at the Bell Centre, starting at 1 p.m. Tickets cost $5 (taxes included) and are available at canadiens.com and evenko.ca or through the Bell Centre’s ticket office. Each ticketholder will receive a free hot dog, a bag of chips and a soft drink. The doors to the Bell Centre will open at 11:30 a.m. and proceeds from the game will be donated to the Fonds Avenir Lac-Mégantic.

Therrien plans to make a major cut after exhibition games Sunday against Buffalo and Monday against Boston at the Bell Centre. Some prospects will be retained so there are bodies available to scrimmage, but the number of healthy bodies will probably drop from 50 to 30.

“After we make those cuts, we’ll concentrate on the main team,” Therrien said.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Habs roster spots limited for youngsters, by Pat Hickey

Therrien sticks with same lines at camp, Canadiens.com

Photo gallery from Day 3 of camp, montrealgazette.com

Budaj adjusts to smaller pads, new coach, by Dave Stubbs

New Habs Parros, Murray have a lot in common, by Stu Cowan

Canadiens take advantage of continuity at camp, NHL.com

1. habs11s says:

Full length video of the scrimmage today
    _____________________________________________________________

2. secretdragonfly says:

Very disappointing day – got home from an appointment and couldn’t watch the scrimmage; apparently I need to get a life. My consolation is getting to watch the Als tomorrow at 4:30, followed by an actual RDS HD broadcast of the first pre-season game of the 2013/14 schedule. C’mon boys, don’t let me down!

3. matt jordan says:

Florida sucks, what a waste of an NHL franchise.

I hope they never make the playoffs again.

4. twilighthours says:

Is it time for me to get excited about hockey again?

When’s the first pre season game?

5. commandant says:

Depending on Gionta’s health, Thomas might just make this team.

Kid can play, and reminds me of Gallagher a bit (Though Gally is better).

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

6. HabFab says:

Canadiens Montréal

3 players were assigned to their junior teams today: Jérémy Grégoire (Baie Comeau), Connor Crisp (Sudbury) et Tim Bozon (Kamloops).

52 left

7. Adidess says:

Caught the tail-end of the live stream there, quality wasn’t great it seems.

I did not see much of the scrimmage, but time to overanalyze what just happened and draw some definitive conclusions.

1. DD scored: how is that possible? I thought he lost weight over the summer after being pushed off the puck constantly last year.
    2. Gallagher didn’t score, which indicates a sophomore slump might be inevitable.
    3. Leblanc did not wow anyone, confirming he has not improved since we drafted him. He kept the same jersey number as last year, you would think he’d want to try something new.

What else? I need to think a bit more. (Green font)

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Red team sucked, nothing but busts and guys we should get rid of on that team.

• HabFab says:

Especially Patches, what was he thinking driving the net and running over goaltenders?…unreal. And Subban…well, don’t get me started and the EGG line… send them to the KHL.

• Adidess says:

Oh, and Subban didn’t slew-foot anyone or come close to it, but I bet he was thinking about it. I know he didn’t slew-foot anyone last year either, but I keep thinking about the time he slew-footed somebody two years ago and can’t let go of my obsessive focus on that. I know he must be obsessed with slew-footing players on the ice too teammate or no teammate… He has to stop thinking about stuff like this.

8. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

To whoever saw the whole scrimmage: How were the right-handed D-men (Pateryn, Dietz and Nygren) and the large forwards (McCarron, Fournier, Tarnasky etc.)? Lastly, how was Louis Leblanc? It bothers me that Thomas is getting the chance to replace Gionta instead of Louis.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The last part there, Louis Leblanc was playing with Tomas Plekanec and René Bourque.

• JohninTruro says:

I think that is because he came out of the penalty box and Plek and Bourque happened to be on the ice too.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Thanks…that’s good to know.

• HabFab says:

Leblanc has been moved back to Center. He looked good and had a good puck possession shift in the opponents end. McCarron looked good on that shift with him. Both Pateryn and Nygren got praise on different twitters for plays they made. Saw Dietz make a couple of good plays once the live feed came on.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

As long as they keep Louis in the same position, I am happy…no more jerking around. Nygren looks like the obvious replacement for Diaz one day. Would like to see Pateryn with Murray/Boullion as the 5-6th pair. He’s better off here than with rookies in Hamilton.

9. Ncognito says:

Little Reway best player on the ice. Maybe he just showed a few that size doen’t matter.

10. Un Canadien errant says:

Not sure if Michael McCarron looks right wearing number 25. That’s Jacques Lemaire’s number. 27 would be better, for Perry Turnbull and Shayne Corson, but that’s not going to happen. Maybe 22, and channel the ghost of John Ferguson? 20 might be okay, Mark Hunter’s old number, or maybe by the time he’s ready Chris Nilan’s old number 30 jersey will have been vacated by Peter Budaj.

Maybe he can use Sergio Momesso’s old #36, there was a guy who was huge and tough and could pot goals, but wrecked his knee and was never the same. I loved Sergio, he looked scary in junior, a man among boys, always think of what could have been if it wasn’t for that injury. Got real slow after that.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

• Ncognito says:

How are our Chargers gonna hold up after a cross country trip to face the Eagles. Been a fan since 1979.

• Un Canadien errant says:

So surprised with how many Charger fans we have here on HIO.

Dirty little secret: I picked up the Eagles defence for one of my fantasy teams this week, due only in part to a complete lack of other worthwhile options. The Chargers are always good for fumbling and bumbling away games on the road, especially in the Eastern Time Zone. I fear that Philip’s going to have happy feet tomorrow and sling a couple of interceptions again, if he doesn’t get his head knocked off because Jerome Clary. So in a way, I’m covered whatever happens. If the Chargers play well, great. If not, I’m picking up mondo points for my Northern Menace.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If McCoy coaches like he did with a 3 TD lead…no chance. Need to keep Vick off the field…run Mathews behind Fluker a lot.

11. HabFab says:

Dave Stubbs @Dave_Stubbs

#Habs scrimmage will only be complete if my friends on L’Antichambre now shred the usual suspects & demand other guys get more ice #kidding

12. habs11s says:

Fucale signs a 3 year entry-level deal

_____________________________________________________________

13. HabFab says:

Game over 2-1 for the Whites.

14. HabFab says:

Nice play by Leblanc with puck control and McCarron working in front of the net. Like the smaller nets on first look.

15. HabFab says:

Pleks scores from Thomas and Tinordi… 2-1.
    End of second period. Shots 19 even.

16. Bill says:

@Trini: The Habs had the fourth best scoring in the league last year, I wouldn’t change the lines much either.

• habstrinifan says:

I acknowledge this stat, which I hinted to in my post. My un-educated and anxiety based opinion is that on many nights last seasnon (and previous seasons), the HABS were ineffective in producing the goal which could change the fortunes of that night and over their 3 or 4 ‘extended’ slumps the scoring which could revive their enthusiasm.

• Bill says:

The Canadiens have tremendous offensive depth at forward and on the blueline. What they lack offensively is a “game-breaker”: that one superstar forward who can come up with the key goal as often as not. We don’t have a Tavares, Kane, Stamkos, etc. Maybe Galchenyuk can become an elite forward and fill that hole. In the meantime, we’ll have to hope that depth can do the job.

Full Breezer 4 Life

OK I’m back on, A fantastic game to be at fellas! Red and White, both are moving the puck well from end to end. The kids are working hard trying to get a roster spot either with the big club or Hamilton. Solid hits at both ends of the ice.!
    Right now I’m sitting between Danny and Dick on the cat walk. This is sure a thrill.!
    See everyone at the Summit!

18. HabFab says:

Half way mark, goaltender change. Fucale in for Red, Tokarski for White.
    Still 2-0 for the Whites.

19. HabFab says:

Good goaltending in the second from both sides. The kid line of Reway, Hudon and Collberg are creating good chances…
    Too bad we will have to trade them for MOAR.

20. Bash says:

Anyone getting the feed?

I have nothing.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

21. Psycho29 says:

Any news on how serious the injury is?

22. Un Canadien errant says:

This is the last time YouTube should get the Canadiens’ business. In the future, instead of getting YouTube to come over and film the game, they should call their regular partners like RDS and TSN.

23. von says:

This is how I feel about the Canadiens scrimmage YouTube fail. http://youtu.be/L7tnCLkFvRw

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

24. HabFab says:

Marc Antoine Godin – Martin Reway subtilise la rondelle à Francis Bouillon et sert toute une feinte à Peter Budaj dans la lucarne. Wow !

Reway steals puck from Bouillon and fakes Budaj out. The Wow! doesn’t need translation I hope.

Another comment was Budaj looked bad on Fournier’s goal.

25. HabFab says:

Guillaume Lefrançois – Trios des Blancs: Pacioretty-Desharnais-Brière, Prust-White-Moen, Reway-Hudon-Collberg, Fournier-Grégoire-Blunden
    - Trios des Rouges : Bourque-Plekanec-Thomas, Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher, McCarron-Dumont-Bournival, St-Pierre-Leblanc-Tarnasky

26. Un Canadien errant says:

How hard would it have been to just show the video but mute the sound? That would have taken care of any copyright issues.

• von says:

… Or simply stream it via Canadiens.com like they did for last year’s scrimmage. Why did they have to complicate things?

_________________________________

27. Adidess says:

Who got hurt please? I’m following from Iphone and don’t seem to be getting all the posts…

OK fellas I was just practicing my live blogging from my blank screen.
    Mike your spoiling my fun with all the members! I am practicing my live blogging from a dream or two!

• Habs54 says:

Since you are such a good guy I can forgive you!! I was frantic trying to figure out how you were seeing the action but the PK thing busted you! Someday, a Summit for me!

29. Trisomy 21 says:

If you’re interested in updates on twitter, this guy seems to be here.

First two goals by Reway then Fournier, making it 2-0 for Team White

30. HabFab says:

2-0 for the Whites
    Reway opened scoring on a 2 on 1 going top shelve.
    Fournier has scored on Budaj 5-hole.
    End of first. Shots 9-7 for the Reds

31. HabFab says:

So did someone at Youtube forget to feed the mice?
    Or did too many Hab fans overload Youtube?
    Or what Vinny said?

Oh Oh screen just froze again! OH here we go again!

End to end rush by PK, Desharnais puts in the rebound! Speed like crazy.

34. ProHabs says:

I love the way Therrien laughs at his own jokes in the video above. Awesome stuff.

35. habs-fan-84 says:

They at least could have gone out with some better music. That was terrible. AC/DC anyone?

36. Psycho29 says:

CRAP! This isn’t good. They are bringing out a stretcher for him.
    There goes the Habs’ season already!

37. Habs54 says:

Youtube must be part owned by Jacobs

38. Phil C says:

Youtube is now on my mortal enemy list.

39. habs-fan-84 says:

Busch League.
    I guess we have to wait until tomorrow night, sigh.

40. johnnylarue says:

Ouate de phoque! Friggin’ draconian YouTube from hell…

Oh well, cereal bowl, here I come!

Great game, pretty even but Red seems a little faster.!!

42. ProHabs says:

What a hit by Beaulieu. Ouch. That poor guy is not getting up.

43. Hobie Hansen says:

What the hell, not only did it freeze, they removed the entire scrimmage from the site lol.

44. Puck Bard says:

Taber-nush, they blocked it.

Beaulieu scores from the point.!

46. johnnylarue says:

I’ve never had an issue with a serveuse in Montreal.

47. T-roy West says:

Screen froze. Markov’s not leaving my screen.

48. Vinny Red says:

Seriously? Sigh…..

“Canadiens de Montréal 49 seconds ago

Sorry everyone, YouTube has blocked the feed because of the in-arena music copyrights and has frozen our ability to stream for the next few days. Check out HabsTV for highlights after the scrimmage.”

49. Phil C says:

I had the warm up for a bit. Now nothing. Anyone still getting stuff?

50. Adidess says:

Hahaha, I feel like I’m part of serious cult, where I can take solace or feel lacking in passion seeing how many others are crazier than me.

I’m not home so logging on here to get some bits and pieces of the goings-on of the scrimmage, which is crazy enough.

But I’m laughing thinking how funny and over the top it would sound to the outside world to see how we’re getting worked up over potentially missing early images of the pre-game leading to the intra-squad scrimmage of our favorite team. This is serious cult stuff and I am proud to belong.

51. SKHab says:

No, don’t stop. Even the warm up was great.

52. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m seeing P.K. with Chuck Hughes, and a scoreboard and clock showing the teams at 0-0, and 18:45 min remaining. Still no sound.

53. johnnylarue says:

Aaaaaand 10 minute warmup! How to keep a half dozen turkeys in suspense…

• MTL1977 says:

Hey Guys – I have 3 tickets to opening night and unfortunately cant make it. Section 104 – Row BB seat 1 — Row CC seat 9 and Row FF seat 9. Let me know if your interested you don’t have to buy all three just need to try and recoup some loss. email me at robmac44@hotmail.com. I will pay the shipping to get you the tickets

54. Ncognito says:

Sound now – Rap music and and an announcing saying 10 minute warm-up.

55. Phil C says:

Let there be light.

56. Un Canadien errant says:

No sound, no nothing.

Beginning to feel like Charlie Brown after having attempted to kick a football temptingly offered by Lucy.