Where were you when Wayne Gretzky was traded 24 years ago?

gretzkyweb

Aug. 9 marked the 24th anniversary of the blockbuster trade that sent Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the Los Angeles Kings.

For Canadians – and hockey fans in general – it was a Where Were You When …? moment.

It you don’t remember all the details of the trade, the Great One went to L.A. along with his bodyguard Marty McSorley and Mike Krushelnyski in exchange for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, the Kings’ first-round draft picks in 1988, 1989, 1991 and 1993; and $15 million.

“I decided that for the benefit of Wayne Gretzky, my new wife (Janet Jones) and our expected child (Paulina) in the new year, it would be beneficial for everyone involved to let me play in Los Angeles,” an emotional and teary-eyed Gretzky said at a news conference following the trade.

“I’m disappointed in having to leave Edmonton. I truly admire all the fans and respect everyone over the years.”

It was a day that changed hockey forever.

The trade came less than three months after the Oilers had won the Stanley Cup. The Canadiens had finished that 1987-88 season with the best record in the Prince of Wales Conference (45-22-13), but lost to the Boston Bruins in five games in the Adams Division final. The Oilers swept the Bruins in the Stanley Cup final and won the Cup again two years later without Gretzky. They haven’t won another one since.

To mark the 24th anniversary of the trade, NHL.com looks at 24 records The Great One set that will probably never be broken. For that list of records, click here.

To read a column that Michael Farber wrote for The Gazette the day after the trade, click here.

(Postmedia News file photo)

1. JayK-47 says:

I’m stuck at BlogWatch Command until Sunday and I already read all of Commandant’s Top Shelf Prospects….

Kill me…

2. Mattyleg says:

I was at my cottage with my family.
    The one with no electricity or running water.
    We drove to Perth to get groceries the following day, and it took a little while to realize what the hell was going on. We thought someone had died.

I remember a bunch of Edmonton fans who had written a song, and were performing it on the radio.

When I finally saw the press conference a few days later, all I could think about was how Pocklington’s fat face and corporate-power look totally summed up the greediness of the 80s mentality.

And I was only 13.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

You guys all gearing up for Tankapalooza part deux?

• JayK-47 says:

Depends. If MB can tank like PG, BG and JM did but without taking on ridiculous contracts and giving away prospects, I’m in.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m wondering if Marc Bergevin has already said as much to Geoff Molson, told him that his hands were kind of tied until two years from now, when the kids are ready to graduate from Hamilton and Brian Gionta, Tomas Kaberle, Andrei Markov and Scott Gomez come off the books. The abhorent ‘tank’ word wouldn’t be used, but he’d explain that the organization would make roster moves with a slow and steady long-term view, as opposed to the Rangers or Canucks who by their own circumstances may be tempted to capitalize on their contending status before the window closes (trading for John Scott or Sami Pahlsson at the deadline in exchange for draft picks).

I think Patrice Brisebois kind of got excited when he was hired and let the cat out of the bag when he blurted out to the media that the team had a bright future what with all the kids coming up and the “expiring contracts”. That’s the first time I’d ever heard that term used in an NHL context, only ever heard of it in reference to the NBA, where apparently they’ll trade for an overpriced veteran because he has an expiring contract. Maybe Patrice got briefed a little bit on the organizational philosophy, but wasn’t very clear on what is for public consumption and what was for behind closed doors strategy meetings.

Anyway, I’m not certain that this is the case, but it may be that Mr. Bergevin has decided to make do with what he has, hopefully get a bump from veterans returning from injury and the coaching changes, but if not, hold steady and wait for another good draft haul. He’s added some depth and size to the roster to make sure the team is better equipped to deal with the current NHL reality, and hopefully not get embarrassed any more by goon teams, but aside from that he’s standing pat, not taking on big contracts or trading away future assets for short-term gain.

———————————————————————–
      This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

4. twilighthours says:

Man I just watched the us Japan highlights. Two brutal missed calls on the handball and the full-grab takedown. The way I see it, the us sure got lucky in this tourney.

5. HFX-HabFan says:

More importantly: where will you be when Mike Boone announces his retirement from HIO?

6. boing007 says:

Usain Bolt’s time in the 200M was almost exactly double what he ran in the 100M. Speedy Gonzalez.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

7. otter649 says:

Anyone familar with hockeyy insiderr on twitter who claims he talked to someone from The Leafs & there is a trade possibilty between The Ducks & Leafs. Getzlaf for 2013 1st rounder-Grabovski-Kadri-Frattin and has 72 hour window for Anaheim to accept or decline with no counter offer from Ducks…..

8. accp says:

Girls Rule – Congrats to our womens soccer team on winning the Bronze Medal (what a great team) lots of skill and all Heart. you made CANADA proud….

9. mrhabby says:

The Olympics has been a great respite from the moaning and whinning of hockey fans. I wish the Olympics could continue for another month.

10. Kfourn says:

The fastest man in the world could become faster with more efficiency and harder training. Pretty incredible thought. Here’s a really good video if you have the time.

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

11. Hobie Hansen says:

I was 12-years-old at the time and I remember the trade adding to the already awful summer in Canadian sports because it was right around the time Ben Johnson was stripped of his gold medal for steroids.

Not the greatest feeling as a kid seeing Wayne Gretzky ditch Canada and learning that Johnson was a drug user and he cheated. Some role models.

• Chris says:

Be fair…Gretzky did not ditch Canada. Pocklington was basically bankrupt and sold Gretzky to pay off the wolves at the door.

It only held the wolves off for a while…they got him eventually.

The ESPN produced 30 on 30 documentary related to Gretzky was very interesting to watch. What we found out was indeed Pocklington sold Gretzky for cash, but Gretzky had choices also and indeed was okay with going to L.A. Anyone who hasn’t seen that show should see it, if they are interested in learning all the behind the scenes storylines involved in that trade.

• commandant says:

The book “Gretzky’s Tears” by Steven Brunt is an outstanding examination of the trade, the background behind it, the mythology of Gretzky in Canada, and how hockey changed that day.

The ESPN 30 for 30 piece is very good. The Brunt book is outstanding.q

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

12. Willy the bum says:

I probably was taking a nap, ’cause I don’t remember this when I was 4 years old…

13. Bobby Smith says:

Magog…building a barn/garage with my old man. Was shocked to hear it and I thought the person who told me was trying a bad joke.
    That was the day the NHL moved into the modern professional sports world for good.

14. HabFab says:

The optimist are leading at 51% in the latest poll.

15. Boomer says:

when gretzky was traded 24 years ago today i was eating chocolate cake and enjoying my 6th birthday. I think i got a nintendo ;)
    fast forward 24 years later i’m getting drunk texts at 2:30 am from my ex girlfriend until 5 am…

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
    Hobo with a laptop

16. Chris says:

My last soccer thought, as I am just watching the USA-Japan game.

How in the hell did the USA get away with the most blatant handball you will ever see in the 26th minute? I don’t think the Canada-USA game was fixed, but my Lord…FIFA is **REALLY** making it easy to believe that these games are fixed.

That one is not only a surefire penalty shot, but also a borderline red card offence. Wow.

Was a brutal non call, and indeed more fuel for the fire that the Fix may indeed have been in.

• Chris says:

Feel bad for the Americans…they look absolutely out of gas, just like Canada in the France game. Megan Rapinoe was invisible, and that is pretty rare for her…she may very well be the best player in the world at the moment.

Japan is a wonderful team technically. Beautiful to watch. This is the biggest area where we need to beef up Canadian soccer. Our technical skills simply aren’t there. A lack of top-notch coaching and facilities is probably the biggest culprit, but I do question Canadian junior sports.

We are far too heavy on organized sports. Kids are enrolled in league after league and sent to camps and everything else, but how often do you see kids out in the park just practicing their soccer or hockey or football skills?

17. Rugger says:

Only 3 public events I know exactly where I was and what I was doing when they happened. JFK shooting I was in line to get on the school bus home (2nd grade) and the kid in front of me had a transistor radio and he yelled it out. Both the first shuttle disaster and 911 I was in a staff meeting when one of the assembly line guys burst in to turn on the TV (it was eerily similar circumstance – different companies but 3 of us were in both meetings!)

18. frankcasting says:

Wonder if he’s happy he raised Paulina in LA now? But anyway, it wasn’t in the least bit emotional for me, just really, really curious. Knowing that Peter Puck and McNall are both somewhat shady dudes, I’ve always wondered what other considerations may have been part of this deal, it all made so little sense.

Whiter PK?

Loving the Habs since 1965

• commandant says:

It wasn’t shady.

15 million dollars changed hands.

From Lenders McNall swindled.

to

Creditors that Pocklington owed.

Okay, so there was shady stuff that led to the deal, but not the deal itself.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a question to Our Yankee-based Friends
    …do any of You access Montreal’s TSN Team 990 on the internet for Habs talk ?

…I’m curious, because I’m in the States now and have no problem accessing TSN Team 990 through the tsn.ca link
    …yet, Roy (ShootdaPuck) in Bangkok says TSN recently restricted its access to those only inside Canada

…can You Guys in the States confirm if You can or can not access Team 990 from the US ?
    …thanks

Interesting point, I spoke to a sports media fellow here in Toronto who told me that Bell did not even attempt asking for an exception to the rule preventing them from having more than a certain number of English stations. Apparantly the CRTC does on occasion grant exceptions to their rules.

Seems to me Bell really never intended on keeping Team 990 around at all.

Most websites restrict streaming to the countries you are in I find now, whereas in the past it was easier. There are programs you can download which allow you access to such streaming regardless of the country you are in.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I haven’t, yet, been unable to access …but maybe have been lucky
        …I can’t get My head around the reasoning to block access to stations to foreign countries
        …for instance why CBC allows no access to US-based people wanting to watch HNIC
        …seems counter-productive
        …there is no issue of lost ad-revenues or gate receipts etc.
        …I don’t get it

• commandant says:

Its usually a rule by the provider.

Ie, the NHL restricts the access outside Canada because they want to sell NHL Game Centre.

CTV may air a show, like 2 and half men, and pay CBS to be able to show it in Canada…. so they ask CBS to restrict access to US residents only on their website.

Thats usually the reasoning.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that, unfortunately, makes sense Ben …regarding HNIC

…but, if Roy in Bangkok is right, …still hard to understand a relatively insignificant, except to a Habs Fan, sports radio station is blocked on the internet internationally

• Habfan10912 says:

I listen to it almost daily. Most of the time I listen through an app on my droid (tunein radio). Also will on occasion listen through the web on my lap top. There are some programming which does get restricted such as some live sporting events. I think its because someone else owns exculsive rights such as major league baseball or the NFL.

———————————–

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…so, James, You are saying that Melnick, etc. is accessible, but the ESPN filler on other sports is blocked ?

• Habfan10912 says:

I am not sure about all sports but I do remember an NFL game was blocked so I assume it was the exclusive rights thing. Once the game broadcast was done the feed resumed. WFAN in NY does the same with MLB broadcast.

———————————–

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I can easily understand blocking of US produced content on a Canadian station or channel to Americans …and, vice versa
            …but I would think TSN/Bell would value as many eyeballs and ears to its media if not diluting ad revenue

• habs1966 says:

I was in Japan for 2 weeks and had no problem tuning in 990.

• shootdapuck says:

Chris,

Maybe my last post was not clear, it is Corus who has blocked access outside Canada!

Corus is CJAD who will inherit the Habs radio broadcasts.

TSN990 is still available as long as the Superbowl is not being broadcast!.

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m sure You said it clearly Roy …My reading concentration is becoming inconsistent lately
        …but, again, why would Corus restrict CJAD outside Canada ?

• shootdapuck says:

Beancounters, the root of all evil these days! As usual!

It’s not just CJAD but their entire network which includes stations all over the country!

I used to enjoy listening to CFL games while on the golf course here but alas!

=================================================
          The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
          “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
          ” I have a pet peeve”

20. HabFab says:

Number 23 of 25 from EOTP, seems they got attacked by Leaf trolls over this one;

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…went to check-out the profile on Pateryn earlier today and found it was Cheshire that authored it …and I skipped to the comments below
      …a smarm of Weedz fans eviscerating any premise Cheshire had
      …no idea WHY ??? they would want to do that to Sweet Andy

• punkster says:

Indeed you did not read the article. If you do (and I suggest you do so) you will realize the Laff fan responses were completely, entirely and solely due to the trade that landed us the great and powerful Pateryn and sent the meek and mild Gabs to Laffland.

Mr. Berkshire’s article, containing not even a hint of advanced stats, gives a reasonable view of what to expect, or not as the case may be in this particular case, from Mr. Pateryn.

No evisceration that I can see and the responses from the EOTP crew indicate they got the joke and laughed right along with those pesky Loafers.

Something which you may also do if you choose to the read the article and those humorous responses. I know I did.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

21. habsfan0 says:

At the 1988 Seoul Olympics, Ben Johnson’s steroid aided winning time in the 100 metre race was 9:79.

24 years later, Usain Bolt’s clean winning time in the same race was 9:63.

So, in less than a quarter century, I guess training and running shoes have advanced that far to shave that amount of time off.

Interesting.

• Habfan10912 says:

Isn’t it a shame that whenever there is a phenomenal athletic accomplishment we have to hesitate a bit? Once sport loses credibility it becomes, well um, boxing. I hope he’s clean.

———————————–

Agree Jim, it is also widely held that the 88 Seoul race had 8 runners all taking various substances. Bolt I hope is the exception, but given the money the notoriety at stake who knows who is the fastest “clean” racer. All I know is I enjoy watching Bolt run, I also enjoyed watching Johnson run.

• habsfan0 says:

Gerry…August 27..Steelers vs Bills. You going?

I hadn’t even looked at schedule yet, Yah, if they are in Buffalo again this year I will most definitely be there. Will have to check with some buds, may even be able to organize a busload.

Edit: Sorry that is preseason game, No I will not spend money on NFL Preseason.

• habsfan0 says:

Actually, neither will I.

• Chris says:

To be fair, there were two in that race that have never tested positive for anything: American Calvin Smith and Brazilian Robson da Silva.

Just repeating what I heard from some athletes I know who competed at world competitions. Perhaps those 2 were clean, but quite frankly I have become skeptical of many sports as it relates to catching those using substances.

I actually met a fellow this week who used to be President of Badminton Canada for many years and also participated in Olympics etc… Told me some amazing stories of rampant use of Steroids amongst Canadian athletes in various sports prior to Johnson.

• Chris says:

HiB: No question it was rampant. My gut feeling was that Smith was clean, but in those days it is almost impossible to know. da Silva, I have no gut feeling about.

Nothing surprises me anymore. This is part of the reason why I don’t get too wrapped up in the nationalism thing. I grew up in an era where the vast, vast majority of the athletes were doping to the gills, but only some of them got caught.

You just have to look at some of them to know they were doping. I still have my Olympic sporting heroes: Johan Olav Koss, Beckie Scott, Clara Hughes, Bjorn Daehlie, Steve Bauer. But I have become very cynical that they were competing against a fair field.

• Chris says:

There will always be skepticism. But there are two mitigating factors:

1) Every Olympics, a ton of money and engineering goes into designing faster tracks, pools and velodromes. People want to see world and Olympic records at the Olympics, so the organizers spend a LOT of dough trying to deliver.

2) Bolt is simply a freak of nature. At 6’5″, his strides are just crazy. Drugs would help athletes have powerful starts (which is exactly what Johnson was famous for), but Bolt is one of the worst starters in the world. He beats people because he takes far fewer strides than everybody else, allowing him to accelerate throughout the race.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good point Chris but isn’t the real advantage from some drugs the ability to train harder and longer? Not arguing that Bolt is indeed taking anything. I really hope he’s clean. I love sports.

———————————–

Chris have you read the book Game of Shadows by Mark Fainaru Wada and Lance Williams? It is a very good read in my opinion, interesting to read how the U.S. has done a great job of convincing many that the Eastern Bloc Countries were the dirty ones, when the Americans were just as dirty if not worse.

22. HabFab says:

Hab prospects updates;

Charles Hudon had a short hand breakaway but failed to score. Canada beat Russia 3-2

Gally has 1 goal and 1 assist as USA up 8-1 over Sweden after 2 periods. Gally’s goal apparently involved him stick handling thru two defenders.

23. Mr. Biter says:

Bettman to lock out players if new deal is not reached by Sept.15.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

24. Un Canadien errant says:

A ‘seared in the memory’ moment was when I found out Ben Johnson had tested positive for steroids. I had walked into Gert’s Pub at McGill, some of the boys I was in a Fantasy Football League with had chosen it as a location for our regular meetings when we’d chin wag, make trades, cut injured players loose and pick up free agents, and generally just get drunk and blow-hardy.

So anyway I strolled in last of our group and found them at a table close to a single TV playing the Monday Night game. Every other screen was tuned to another channel showing a bunch of people seated at a table with microphones talking about something or other, I couldn’t tell. So I plunked myself down in a seat, got my papers and notes and magazines and newspaper clippings out of my backpack and casually asked what was going on, what everyone was watching, and was informed about the Big News.

“Oh, that’s hilarious,” I said, and got a dozen dirty looks from people sitting at tables nearby. The funny thing is the five other guys in my league all burst out laughing, because they’d said the same thing and had gotten the same looks. It just seemed to us that nobody paid any attention to Ben Johnson or track before the gold medal, yet everyone was pretending that he was a great national hero for winning, and now we were going to have to pretend to be greatly shamed by this when anyone who didn’t have his head up his colon should have know that track is dirty.

———————————————————————–

• Timo says:

Aaah, good ‘ol Gert’s

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was in Beijing watching Ben win Gold in the 100 M …got on a plane to Tokyo proud and happy …get to My hotel in Tokyo to learn it was stripped, and of the whole ugly steroid allegations
      …I was thoroughly disappointed, jaded and embarrassed as a Canadian with the Olympics for a long time following
      …he’s not Canadian, but I really like Usain Bolt …and ‘believe’ He is clean
      …though, in the back of My mind I try to keep things in perspective

25. Dr.Rex says:

- Garry Bettman’s huge ego is certainly a way to compensate for other shortcomings.
    - Donald Fehr played a large part in not only taking a World Series from the city of Montreal but also contributing to their eventual demise. I have no faith that he is able to put aside his ego for the sake of the game.

P.S. Is my spelling okay here punkster? Lucky I am not writing this with a pen or you would only see scribbly lines.

26. Habfan10912 says:

John Barlett reports that Canada Coach Steve Spott says that Hudon was a steal for the Habs.

———————————–

27. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/08/09/sp-bettman-talks-labour-nhl.html

Dear Players and NHL

I freakin well dare you lock we fans out again!!!!

I don’t care how much passion I have for this great team and the game in general.

I WILL BE DONE!

I’ll sell every single jersey, autograph and stick I have and use it to promote every thing wrong with this GAME!

You bunch of jackasses!

(yes I’m tired, it’s hard work sitting on the beach every day) :)

LOCK OUT? I dare ya!

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• Dr.Rex says:

CBC can not survive another lockout !

• Un Canadien errant says:

Again, Sholi, it’s not the players who are threatening a strike, it’s the owners who are locking out the players. The blame goes to the owners, not the players. The reason there won’t be hockey this fall is the fault of the owners. They couldn’t leave well enough alone.

———————————————————————–

• I’ll have to read more about what’s going on to understand it all. But without knowing too much, it appears to an average fan that both sides make millions, and both sides want more.

Who’s at fault?

They Call Me Shane
        “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
        Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

28. Strummer says:

Sorry Stu,
    This wasn’t a “Where were you when” moment like JFK, 9/11 or Neil Armstrong moon landing.

Though it was significant by hockey standards.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

So, who here thinks new Bourne movie is going to suck as much as Scotty G?

30. Captain aHab says:

Lemme see…August 1988…I was finishing my Masters so odds are that I was drinking beer when the news broke.

In all seriousness, the only non-family related events for which I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing would be 9-11 and the first Shuttle explosion.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

…19.32 seconds over 200 metres …mindblowing !

32. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Sasha Barkov: looks like our best bet if we are again in the lottery position come next draft, he is a BIG center (6,4 200 at 17) and you can’t have too much of a good thing, him and Gally could be a SWEET 1-2 punch down the middle in a few years time.

• commandant says:

Sean Monahan is 6’2 at 17 and just as talented. I think those two will both be contenders for third overall.

That said… if you are top 2, you take one of MacKinnon/Jones and don’t hesitate.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

McKinnon looks like #1 to me, and is a little undersized, I have a lot of concerns about Jones, his bar has been set far too high for someone who plays in a difficult to gauge position, and the last prospect out of USNTDP who was ranked this high was Erik Johnson (we all know how well THAT went……..)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Your concerns about Seth Jones are valid, but since he’s playing in the WHL for the Portland Winter Hawks next season, these issues will be resolved one way or another.

The kid is a physical specimen with amazing skill, great bloodlines, and now an opportunity to play high-level junior hockey to test himself and improve.

33. mark-ID says:

Has anyone been able to catch Galchenyuk play online? So far it looks like he has 1 goal this tournament in 4 games I believe. USA plays Sweden today starting at 4:00.

Curious to know how he is playing…..

34. Price07 says:

Where was I when Gretzky was traded?

20 days from being born actually!

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

…is Stu Cowan a Montrealer ?
    …I don’t think Wayne Gretsky leaving the Oilers was emotional in any way for Us
    …personally, I was too preoccupied with My career at that time, and out of the country most of the year in those days, where even following the Habs was hit and miss
    …but, even if I was in Canada and more dedicated to following hockey, I was such a biased Montreal Canadiens Fan that I likely would have underplayed Gretsky’s accomplishments, and his trade would be interesting, but not earth-moving in any way

I love hockey players’ crocodile tears. I mean, not like Gretzky didn’t have any say in it or anything. Mooaaaah!, I am going to LA to make even more $$$. Moooaaaah!

Seriously, has anyone been in Edmonton? If you have you know that this is BS. NO-ONE cries when leaving Edmonton, unless those are the tears of joy.

37. kempie says:

You guys see this yet?

James Cybulski ‏@JamesCybulski
    Gary Bettman has confirmed that the NHL will lock out players if there is no new CBA in place when the old one expires on Sept. 15
    Retweeted by James Mirtle

• shiram says:

Yeah it was posted below by Habfan10912, but he did not quote the twitter thing.
      edit : Bettman is just staking his claim, as the Player association were fine with playing another season with the current CBA.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…doing so will hurt the NHL as a business more than the players IMO
      …I don’t think Fehr will blink if Bettman/NHL do not meet the players bottom-line
      …and, I don’t think a wise threat to make, to begin with, to someone like Fehr

• Un Canadien errant says:

Stupid greedy players, why don’t they just be reasonable and accept taking a little less.

———————————————————————–

• Malreg says:

Why is everyone surprised about this? It just means that season won’t start without a new CBA. Nothing new there…

• Un Canadien errant says:

There was some discussion that the season could start without a new CBA being ratified. The NHLPA said it would have no objections. So Gary Bettman just cocked the trigger by confirming what everyone suspected. I’m not sure if surprised is the correct word, more like shocked and angry at the cynicism of the owners.

———————————————————————–

• Timo says:

Maybe if there is no hockey season TSN and CBC will show more women’s beach volleyball? Maybe?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hamilton Bulldogs hockey first and foremost.

Then, I prefer real, indoor women’s volleyball. Six players a side plus more on the sidelines increases your viewing pleasure, plus the game itself is way more entertaining.

———————————————————————–

• Mr. Biter says:

Now that would be a good move for CBC. Good one Timo.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• bleedhabs81 says:

Hooray for BUM P sets…

bumps sets… sorry

• boing007 says:

And RDS will show dozens of repeats of championship table hockey.
        Doubles matches too. Oh boy.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

Boston Bruin defenseman, Dougie Hamilton, scored the winning goal today as Canada defeated Russia 3-2.

39. HabsFanInTampa says:

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was in shock that The great One was going to leave the prairies for LaLa land. I was driving from my parent’s home in Chomedey to my home in Western New York. I was channel surfing and came across CBC Radio and they were holding a news conference on the “sale” of Gretzky to Tinseltown so Peter Pocklington could pay off his debts.

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…hope Canadian men soon will compete on the level of the Canadian women’s soccer …at least competitive with the USA
    …the ladies were the highlight of this Olympics for Me …especially Christine Sinclair

…reposted because of sneaky new threads that are posted without sirens going off to warn the schlepping commentariat

• Ian Cobb says:

The difference is in the quality of coaching by the looks of it.
      For the Hab’s as well!
      We will see a difference for sure. Hope the right way!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Our better male athletes generally go into hockey and other traditional North American sports I think Ian
        …soccer not being as lucrative here, and We are ‘wired’ to the speed and physicality of North American sports that are traditional on this continent

• Un Canadien errant says:

Why do you want good Canadian boys to waste their time playing soccer when they should rightly be playing hockey, football or rugby?

Poorly conceived indeed…

• Strummer says:

I think there is less competition on a global scale in women’s sports which is favourable to the Canadian womens success.

For the men its a different story.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

41. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Ian Cobb

…Ian, the following is detail You asked for, quoting Mike Boone’s column:
    ” Aug. 9 at 8 p.m. is the deadline for interventions on Bell Media’s plan to convert TSN 990 into a French all-sports radio.

To file an intervention: http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-370.htm

42. Un Canadien errant says:

Oops. Redacted.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…too late !!!
      …NOTHING is ‘redacted’ on the internet Normand
      …not even poorly conceived PK Subban trades by ‘certain’ posters :(

• Un Canadien errant says:

I stand by my armchair-GM machinations of yesteryear.

Poorly-conceived…. Pshaw!…

EDITED:

Sun Nov 18 Saskatoon 0 Vancouver 0 04:00 PST

Darren Dietz and Dalton Thrower make their only appearance in Vancouver this season. You in? No excuses, let’s scout these guys according to our highly eccentric system(s) and report back to the membership. The lockout will be gathering steam by then, so the Commentariat will be starved for Canadiens news. Any news.

Mark it down on your calendar.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…how’s Your summer Normand ? :)

EDIT: …sounds ‘fun’ …depends how the stars align though …’single dadhood’ is quite all-consuming
          …You should try it some time :)

…must admit, I’m intrigued by this Thrower cat

• Un Canadien errant says:

What part of “no excuses” was unintelligible to you? I’m giving you 3 months to find a sitter.

EDIT: Based on your camping and road trips updates, my summer is not going as well as yours, I’m stuck in Whistler working. Which is hell.

• Rozz says:

Well I’d be interested in checking that out for sure… get to see some of the young guns in action!

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Rozz, stay in touch and see if we can get together and watch the game, always up for beers and good discussion at the arena.

We should try and get other Left Coasters out, make a mini Mini-Summit of it.

Of course, a better idea might be to catch a Tim Bozon game in Kamloops and hold a pre- and post-game gathering at your place of work. Much better idea….

———————————————————————–

• Rozz says:

For sure, I like the mini summit idea for the west coasters.. even take in a Canuck vs Hab game would be awesome.. but I totally intend to get my blazer’s season tickets to keep an eye on Bozon now that he’s one of us. I’m pretty stoked that we selected a guy from Kamloops so I get to be one of the guys able to watch one of prospects grow before my eyes … never had that opportunity before.. yay me!

Oh, and yes definitely pre and post game beers at my work is a must!

Mark Twain.

43. Habfan10912 says:

Bettman or Buttman if you prefer is quoted as saying that if no CBA by September 15 there will be a lockout. He further stated that NHLPA is aware of this. Crap! Crap! Crap!

———————————–

44. Puck Bard says:

Wow, I’m amazed that people don’t think the Gretsky trade was significant. It forever changed the game in Canada. Up until the trade Canadian teams won the cup like about every other year. Since the trade? There has been one Canadian winner. You… Know… Who.

“arrest this girl, her hitler hairdo, is making me feel ill”

Any (possible) Leaf territorial rights aside, a team in Markham makes a lot of sense. To a lesser degree, so would Quebec City. These options far outweigh any thoughts of Kansas City, Seattle or Brooklyn.

The Flyers are in real trouble heading into this season. Holmgren dances to the beat of a different drummer. I’d rate the RFA Dmen as follows: 1st – Subban, 2nd – Carlson, 3rd – Del Zotto and 4th – Kulikov. The old CBA is now on the clock. Should the Habs be worried about Holmgren trying to poach our best Dman?

Habs vs. new Markham team would be a close drive for you to attend eh Steve? I would love to see a 2nd team somewhere in Southern Ontario be it Markham, Hamilton, Kitchener etc…

• 24 Cups says:

The Toronto GTA is the best hockey market in the world. There is a ton of money around town and in York Region. The 407, 404 and Go Transit are all in place. Pearson airport is half an hour away. The Markham mayor, who is powerful and entrenched, is gung ho for this project. This makes so much more sense than Kitchener/Waterloo (RIM is dead in the water). Hamilton’s arena doesn’t cut it anymore and I wonder if there is a serious bidder out there who wants to take the gamble.

I will be able to walk ten minutes from my house to catch the Go Transit which will take me to the game and back. There will be a Markham HI/O Summit when the Habs come to town.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to tonight’s game between the Montreal Canadiens and the Markham Waxers”.

It’s early, but I’ll toast a Rusty Nail to that happening.

• Chris says:

The problem is that you would have to somehow convince life-long Leafs fans to support another team. While it sounds easy (especially with how poorly the Leafs have been doing), Ottawa is a great example of how insanely difficult it is to change a fanbase’s loyalty. It’s taken Ottawa nearly two decades, and they’re still working at it.

• Newf_Habster says:

It is rumored that the Flyers may be interested in acquiring Sergei Gonchar from Ottawa.

• 24 Cups says:

Not to mention Dan Boyle in San Jose.

The question Holmgren has to ask himself is whether or not he’s willing to give up 1st rounders to sign a building block Dman such as Subban or Carlson? Or does he want to go the stop gap route and take on an aging vet?

Both Washington and Montreal have the cap space to match any offer from Philly so it’s probably a mute point.

46. punkster says:

The Hockey News called for the Habs to finish 9th last year. And the Caps to finish first, the Devils 11th.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

47. JUST ME says:

Does not fit in the moments important enough to say that i remember where i was on that day. Canada-russia 72,miracle on ice,Gilles Villeneuve`s death,9/11,first man on the moon,polytechnique killings but gretzky`s trade ?

Hat`s off to canada`s women soccer team for a great bronze medal. Boy did they ever deserve that honor ! Really proud of them !

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I have “Where were you when…” memories for all the events you mentioned except Neil Armstrong, but not really for the Wayne Gretzky trade. It was big, kind of incomprehensible, didn’t get the tears at one press conference and the beaming smile at the next, but no seared in the memory details.

Additional moments for me are the Chelios trade, the Challenger explosion, the death of Elvis, John Bonham and Keith Moon. Greg Joy’s silver medal is also a big one, watching it on our new colour TV, my dad the big spender having splurged on a 26″ colour Zenith. I think we were the last family in Québec to upgrade from black and white.

———————————————————————–

48. Newf_Habster says:

Congratulations to Canadian Women’s Soccer team for winning a bronze medal by beating France 1-0. They are real golden girls to me. Damn that Norwegian referee and I am glad that FIFA sent her home.

49. Newf_Habster says:

I was in Newfoundland with my family on a break from college in the U.S. When the news about the Trade broke, my baby sister, who was a huge Gretzky and Oilers fan, cried real hard.

50. habstrinifan says:

Congrats to Team Canada. I dont normally do this for Olympics but I am hoping the USA loses the finals. Coming 2nd will stick in their craw.

I was calm and understanding re the match against them until all the boasting and insensitivity of their players.

51. commandant says:

Today’s Top Shelf Prospects looks at the Minnesota Wild, who might have the best system in the entire NHL.

This means that our next edition will be the Habs… however you might have to wait til Saturday for that.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

52. DorvalTony says:

Zzzzzzzzzz.

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

53. shiram says:

Seems to me Habs are not so strong on wings that they could send away Bourque for peanuts, Kaberle is another story though.
    Sending them Gorges would mean a very weak D for the Habs also.

54. shiram says:

Well consider the lenght of Gorges deal compared to Simmonds, to me they don’t have equal value at all. With Markov being a question mark, that would leave only Subban as a viable top pairing D for at least 3 seasons if not more. I doubt Bergevin and Co. intend to stay in the basement for that long. I guess a deal could be reached, but the Habs don’t have much bargaining chips if you don’t include picks and prospects/rookies, and I’d rather they keep those and develop them well.

55. Aybara says:

Great save on a poor shot. The Japanese girl didn’t look too confident taking that one.

What you’re ignoring is that save shouldn’t have mattered as the score at that time should have been 3-2. Why?

1. Blatant handball – intentional which should have been at least a yellow and of course a penalty shot.

2. US player bear hug/tackles a Japanese girl going up for a header in the box. Another clear penalty shot.

Looks like another hollow victory for the Americans. Oh wait, they don’t care they won through horrible calls. They’ll just pretend that they are the best, put on their obnoxious “greatness” t-shirts, and continue to be the worst winners in the world.

56. JUST ME says:

I think that Kaberle would be a good fit for Philadelphia since the D situation already seems a problem even if the season is far away.

Although Kaberle does not fit the toughness signature of the Flyers i am not sure that they want to go that way with all the injuries they got from playing rough and with the fact that the tank was empty after the Pens serie because they did give everything they had.They did intimidate the Pens but they payed the ultimate price not long after.

57. Aybara says:

I’m not hating, I’m just telling it like it is. I have no malice towards America, the country. There are certain unfortunate traits in the American, we are the best ever, personality though.

58. Un Canadien errant says:

That’s simplistic. If two kids are fighting, but one of them started the fight by walking up to the other and slugging him in the mouth unprovoked, you can’t blithely absolve yourself of your responsibility to analyze the situation by just stating both kids are at fault. What’s correct to say is that one kid assaulted another who is now merely defending himself.

The owners got the CBA they wanted seven short years ago. Revenues have grown at a whopping rate. They have a few franchises that are hurting, a problem that can be fixed relatively easily by revenue sharing among the owners, and relocating problem franchises to deserving markets like Québec and Ontario.

Instead they’re trying to mug the players and help themselves to what’s in their wallet.

The problem isn’t the player salaries, they’re locked in at 57% of league revenues. They’re not ‘getting excessive’, they’re marching right along with the growing revenues. The owners are lying to the public about the negotiations, pure and simple.

So in a slanted, philosophical way, we can say that both sides are at fault. But in another, accurate, truthful way, the owners are 99% at fault.

———————————————————————–

59. Un Canadien errant says:

jcc10, normally I’d respond to your points and attempt to show you where I think you’re mistaken, or at least convince others in the Commentariat, but…

until you apologize to HabinBurlington for losing your cool and being unbelievably rude, you and I won’t be having any further discussion on this forum.

———————————————————————–

60. habsfan0 says:

Actually, Norweigan referee Christina W. Pedersen had no choice but to favour the Americans over Canada, because she realized the American players were probably all carrying heat.

I am not being anti-american, the book was written by two American Sports Journalists by the way. I am also in no way denying the guilt of Canadians using performing enhancing drugs. I happen to really like the U.S. and lived there for a number of years. In fact if I had a green card probably never would have left. I think the people of the Southern U.S. particularly the Charlotte area of North Carolina are as friendly and welcoming of people I have ever had as neighbours.

62. Chris says:

It is not anti-Americanism, but your hypersensitivity to criticism is remarkable. I’m trying to figure out if you were an only child or if you simply can’t handle criticism.

You DO realize that the poster boy for steroid abuse in the 1980′s was Ben Johnson, the Canadian sprinter?

You realize that we went through a very long and very painful process, the Dubin Inquiry, that basically tore through Canadian athletics in an effort to root out how widespread abuse of performance enhancing drugs was, with the primary finding being that it was ubiquitous?

No self-respecting Canadian can ever claim innocence for our country when it comes to performance enhancing drugs. But we went through the exercise and, ultimately, emerged stronger for it.

All the major powers in the world were doping in the 1980′s and continuing through the 1990′s. If you believe that the United States was immune from this despite ample evidence, that is your prerogative.

The Western countries (USA, Canada, Western Europe and Scandinavia) really tried to make the doping issue out to be an Eastern Bloc thing, all the while doing everything they could to find new ways for their own athletes to cheat.

63. HammerHab says:

huh….and here I thought the UK was our closest ally.

———————————–