Where the words mean most

Words from Lt.-Col. John McCrae’s World War I poem In Flanders Fields appear in the Canadiens dressing room (the excerpt appears italicized below). Understand what the words truly mean today, Remembrance Day:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…every year on this earth, in this country, with My Children …I say to God …”Thank You”
    …I was lucky to come Home, …yet, so many dear dear Friends were not …to Them, I too say, …”Thank You”

2. TPlow says:

Yep, Vimy is a powerful place too. The battlefield has been preserved below the memorial. All of the trenchlines and shell holes are still there. Brings things a little more into perspective.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!'” — King’s X

3. Fansincebirth says:

A few years back, my youngest son was at the Vimmy Memorial re-dedication. He’s a bit of a history buff, going to be a history teacher.

He came back from the trip very humbled, was a bit overwhelmed in fact. It was quite the trip. He even got to go to Normandy and walk on the beach.

Oh how I envy him……

4. Brian14 says:

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds – and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there
    I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air.
    Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
    I’ve topped the windswept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or even eagle flew –
    And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
    No 412 squadron, RCAF
    Killed 11 December 1941

This was my father’s favourite poem, he flew Lancasters during WWII as a 19 year old. I recently came across a photo of his graduating class from Flight Academy and every face in the photo was circled in either red or green… except for my father. Red signified confirmed dead and green signified missing in action. Talk about beating the odds! Unfortunately his time ran out last month so today is the first time I can’t personally thank him for the sacrifices made by him and his brothers in arms. Thanks to all who have answered the call of duty.

5. TPlow says:

Two summers ago I stood on the spot where John McCrae scribbled those lines outside Ypres, Belgium. A moving experience and a moving place. I recommend a visit to those WW1 battlefields in France and Flanders to any Canadian who gets the chance.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

I salute our veterans as always.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. kirkiswork says:

Utmost gratitude to the men and women who have and those who continue to serve our country.

It is because of these sacrifices that we are able to live in freedom.

Hug a Vet

8. Habfan29 says:

Thanks Grandpa for your 6 years of sacrifice in WW II, RIP 1999…..

9. punkster says:

Attended the ceremony in Pointe-Claire today and spent time reading the small headstones. So many who served and lived a full life after. So many who never made it home. Must have been some dust in the wind out there today. Got some in my eyes.

10. Propwash says:

Thank you to all the servicemen/women past, present, and future.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

11. Mick514 says:

I noticed this year, there was a definite drop in the number of people in downtown Montreal and the greater region not wearing poppies.  Not that it’s a big deal, i just thought it was kind of sad.

12. Fansincebirth says:

I hear the mountain birds

The sound of rivers singing

A song I’ve often heard

It flows through me now

So clear and so loud

I stand where I am

And forever I’m dreaming of home

I feel so alone, I’m dreaming of home

I stand on the highway of hero’s with my flag each time one of our own is brought home.

But lets not forget the war injured and maimed that still live silently among us.

We have a few soldiers that are injured for life that gave their all for us right on this site.

One of which, was at our HIO Summit this year from Manitoba, a 35 year old Sargent that had been blown up and concussed in war many times. He wares a pacemaker that keeps him alive and has such head trauma, that only he knows the pain. Yes there are many walking war hero’s also that gave for us boys and girls.

Thank you Sargent Shane Oliver from Shiloh Manitoba, known to us on here as Sholi2000.com “they call me Shane”

He is my HERO.

14. KenD29 says:

Thank you. You will always be remembered.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

15. volcano62 says:

Full support to those that have fought for our freedom. May god bless their souls. It is a shame though that alot of canadians dont give a crap.

16. habsfan_61 says:

thnx to all the vets who had sacrificed their lives for us and those still serving. may you be repaid aplenty.

17. ZepFan2 says:

God bless those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom!

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~