Where the heck was Phil Pritchard?

5330308

We don’t want to engage in vulgar stereotypes.

And our disinclination is reinforced by the likelihood that cheap jokes about Michael Ryder’s day with the Stanley Cup would enrage our great and good friend – and proud Newfoundlander – J.T.

But man, that’s quite the dent the Cup sustained on its visit to Bonavista on Tuesday:

The great Jean Beliveau turns 80 today. Check out the photo gallery

Palushaj is optimistic

EotP on Lars Eller

Pierre Durocher talks to Mathieu Darche

P.K.’s greatest hits

Steven Hindle on Carey Price

Dryden statue gets a new home

Greatest goaltenders of all time (guess which team placed two in the Top Four)

Eric Engels’ predictions

Who is Daniel Pribl?

Down Goes Brown’s off-season winners and losers

Outdoor game set for Bulldogs

Flyers lock up van Riemsdyk. And THN likes them for fourth

Claude Lemieux coaching Cody Hodgson

This video is heavy, man!

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…for HabFan In Burlington
    …you asked for link to Mitch Melnick’s recent radio interview of Wade Belak
    …the following is link to Team990.com’s audio clip page http://www.team990.com/sound_bytes/view/session/team_990_audio_clips/1/

…the Wade Belak interview is approximately number 9 if You scroll down the selections
    …it’s a very interesting interview considering the context of recent issues We have been discussing in HIO recently, and of course, today’s news of His death

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

2. PrimeTime says:

Not a very good day for the NHL from a PR point of view. For the sake of the players that have dedicated their lifes to get to and play in the pros I really hope the PA and the NHL really look into the recent events of their sport. Playing in the NHL has become the most dangerous of all pro athletes.

3. I’m pretty sure Belak has a wife and kids. He was a Panther for awhile. I think he had a place here to. I saw an epic fight between him and BGL one night at a Panther game when BGL was Penguin.

• HabFab says:

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Jennifer and children Andie and Alex. We offer our full support to them at this very difficult time.”

Mr. Belak, 35, retired from playing earlier this year and had signed on to work in television in Nashville. He was in Toronto as one of eight former NHL players training for the CBC series Battle of the Blades, which is set to air this fall.

4. cuzzie says:

Society says don’t fight. Hockey fans say fight. NHL says fight and don’t fight. These are hockey players. The roles in hockey are being pigeon holed, you’re a top 3 or a top 6 a third liner fourth liner. I.don’t
    want to sound old but the coach put out the players. Hockey players were tough, most were able to play every role, that was and should be the way hockey’s played.. Today is Jean Beliveau’s birthday. He fought. He played hockey. Mr. Ferguson was a great policeman but he played hockey. I find the players today are as confused as me in what hockey is suppose to be. Let hockey be what it is and don’t let companies market the sport for their own intrests. In the end the true hockey fan loses.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

Another concussed hockey player, suffers from depression, dead.

Former NHLer Wade Belak found dead.

How many have to die before they change contact to the head.

NHL is killing players!!! Bettman capital 1 charge!!!

• Chuck says:

Unfortunately real change won’t happen until someone dies on the ice.

• Bripro says:

Ian, Buttman thinks only of NHL revenues.
      If there’s an appeal to severe contact (as far as he’s concerned), he’ll endorse it.
      What I don’t understand is why they let equipment become as hard as armour, and they keep it in.
      When we were young, shoulder pads had a small plastic cap, but the bulk was soft material. I realize the new stuff is a lot lighter, but can’t the soften the contact points?
      Like you say, does someone have to die before they wake up?
      I say, tie Buttman to a pole at centre ice, and have players take their turns target practicing trying to hit him below head level.
      We all know how tall he is (no, not his ego). He might survive the ordeal.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Starting with fighting.

OHL makes equipment changes for safety

Softer elbow and shoulder pads!

It is about time.!

7. DEANDALLEY says:

It doesn’t surprise me that Boone would start this crap!

On a serious note in case any body didn’t get my sarcasm I would like to send out my heart felt sincere condolences to the Belak family.

3 deaths this summer and Crosby and Savard done. And Bettman get’s 7 years and the Bruins goon their way to the Cup. The league is either filthy from corruption or decrepit from incompetence.

No worries. There’s plenty of road kill and dead meat to fill the growing ranks of Gladiators on Ice™.

Seriously. I am all for fighting being removed from NHL hockey (let the contraction begin).

But let’s face it. Before the Instigator Rule, there were no staged fights.

That 3 enforcers die over the same summer is quite revealing. I think I see the link and after connecting the dots I have come to this conclusion:

Belak, Rypien and Boogard must have had inside information on 9/11 and the Aliens and were silenced by The Illuminati.

This is huge people. Where’s the AWE to provide the links when you need him.

Because there’s no way it could be attributed to drug and alcohol abuse, steroids, depression, brain damage or all of the above. It can’t be the NHL and it’s impotent policy of turning the other cheek. You know. The collective moon they are giving hockey fans across North America. It’s obvious that the league is absolved of any wrong doing or incompetence here.

Nope. It’s the Aliens.

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

…for anyone interested, and have not listened yet …Mitch Melnick had a very recent audio interview of Wade Belak on 990’s web page
    …go listen, because towards the end, Mitch asked of Wade’s decision to call-it a career and today’s changes in the roles of so-called ‘enforcers’ in the NHL …I sensed then when listening to Wade a tone in voice of someone with deep repressed emotion on the subject
    …give it a listen Yourself
    …I believe now it was more than My imagination

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

11. DearyLeary says:

Enforcers are dropping like flies… I wonder if the Code can tell us what this means? Can Crazy Uncle Don?

My best wishes go out to the Belak family (and all the other fallen soldiers). But this is starting to feel systemic.

12. Habitant in Surrey says:

…many ‘enforcers’ become enforcers just to stay in the game …because of their love of the game
    …I think We are seeing this trend because of the changes in the game,eliminating opportunities for those with little other skills than being able to pummel
    …those that have the scars and head traumas are also finding themselves looking-in the window of an NHL that is saying clearly there is no further purpose for you
    …that obsession and love of hockey, the medications and pain-killers needed to mute the physical and psychic pain, and no further sense of value are elements leading to this current pandemic
    …maybe the NHL’s and NHLPA’s programs should be more proactive increasing outreach to these former and current role players, …because ‘something’ is obviously beyond the norm

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

13. Mike D says:

Not sure if anyone else posted this already, but it looks as though Marc Savard’s career is done. As much as I hate the Bruins, this isn’t cool.

– Honestly yours

14. BKAK72 says:

head concussions, deaths/suicides … is it just me or has the NHL changed quite a lot these past two years?

terrible, terrible news for the Belak family.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

City TV reporting it, the sports reporter for CIty here new him, she is in shock, thinking it must have been an accident. She said he was so grounded in life, unlike the Rypien/Boogard situations

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…’Poutine: A Dish That Deserves More Love’
    …featured in today’s The Times of London’s Food & Drink segment
    …warning: to read the full article, one must subscribe …much like The Gazoote
    …yeah, fat chance ! …I will rot in hell first

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

17. Unconfirmed reports that Wade Belak has been found dead in his Toronto condo.

18. Neutral says:

of the Bull Dogs attending training camp Palushai I would say have the best chance of making the big team other than that from the Bull Dogs don’t see anyone all pretty much 3rd liners in the AHL.

19. FishOutOfWater says:

Semin for A.k, weber and lars eller
    ???

20. habpunk says:

eklund was just saying the top 5 breakout players.
    why didn’t he mention Pacioretty?
    Pac is going to have a very good year and look like the next Leclair or close to him.
    agreed?

• db says:

I hope the Habs and fans take a cautious approach to Max… somehow everyone has him on the top lines etc but I honestly would keep the pressure off him (putting with DD and White/Eller on the 3rd). I’d give AK the top 6 spot and hopefully he can play himself into an asset (although I believe he’s already one).

• bleedhabs81 says:

Not so much as agree but hope.

21. caladin says:

@THF
    Where do you get the idea that being offended involves surprise?
    I don’t see that at all.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

The first time somebody says something offensive it’s surprising. The element of “did s/he actually just say that to me?!” is a big component of offense. After hearing the same thing a million times it’s no longer surprising, it’s just disappointing.

See what I mean?

• perhaps you arent grasping that newfie jokes arent meant to be offensive

once you realize that, the disappointment will dissipate

• TorontoHabsFan says:

You still aren’t grasping the reality that they are, in fact, offensive. Just because the same jokes are made about different groups of people doesn’t mean the group isn’t being targeted – it just means that bigots aren’t especially creative.

One last time…with feeling.

The jokes *wouldn’t* be offensive if we had a personal relationship. Or if you were a satirist making some kind of trenchant social commentary. Neither of those are true.

Hence, disappointment.

But whatever, I’m weary of debating with you…best of luck.

• well im sorry that “ya break a newfies finger by punching him in the nose” dissapoints you

my god the jokes are childish at best

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Stupid jokes are one thing. The stereotype that Newfoundlanders are stupid goes beyond them.

And I think you know that.

• stupid jokes is the ENTIRE CRUX of the newfie joke

nobody actually thinks that the best way to get a one armed newfie out of a tree is to wave at them

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I can guarantee you that the stereotype of the stupid Newfoundlander extends beyond dumb one-liner jokes. I have family member who can tell you of the straight up bigotry they faced from employers, fellow employees and customers (those who worked in retail).

But if you insist on keeping this discussion on the very narrow topic of dumb one-liner jokes. Then okay, I’ll concede. They’re just stupid and unfunny.

• I think you’re confusing the meaning of the word offense with the word shocked. You don’t need to be surprised to be offended.

• ZepFan2 says:

A man stumbles up to the only other patron in a bar and asks if he could buy him a drink.
        “Why of course,” comes the reply.
        The first man then asks: “Where are you from?”
        “I’m from Ireland,” replies the second man.
        The first man responds: “You don’t say, I’m from Ireland too! Let’s have another round to Ireland.”
        “Of Course,” replies the second man.
        Curious, the first man then asks: “Where in Ireland are you from?”
        “Dublin,” comes the reply.
        “I can’t believe it,” says the first man. “I’m from Dublin too! Let’s have another drink to Dublin.”
        “Of course,” replies the second man.
        Curiosity again strikes and the first man asks: “What school did you go to?”
        “Saint Mary’s,” replies the second man. “I graduated in ’65.”
        “This is unbelievable!,” the first man says. “I went to Saint Mary’s and I graduated in ’65, too!”
        About that time in comes one of the regulars and sits down at the bar.
        “What’s been going on?,” he asks the bartender.
        “Nothing much,” replies the bartender. “The O’Malley twins are drunk again.”

———————————————————————-
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

22. A. Berke says:

My best wishes for a Happy Birthday to “Le Gros Bill”, and many more.

PS: Can we get the season started soon?
    Ali B.

23. ProHabs says:

Why do I have a feeling the Habs are going to regret not signing this guy. He has put on 15 pounds of muscle.

And if there is ever any question about the tightness of the Habs dressing room, don’t question is anymore.

• shiram says:

He could have gotten a better chance on a top line, but he also needed to make the most of the time he did get.
      I don’t see why the organization would regret not signing him though, he obviously was not working out for the team/coach/management.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Cardiac says:

What’s 15 pounds of muscle if you’re lazy and can’t skate?

– Jerry Maguire

• why would we regret not re-signing someone who sucked as a hab

if he brings it as a bruin, that just makes him less likeable for not doing the same for us

see: kostitsyn; sergei

• Kooch7800 says:

The question is why is it taking him until his 5th off season to train that hard?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, he does state in the interview that he’s had a different trainer basically every summer and that it’s been hard to adjust. Maybe he’s got a more effective trainer this year, or more likely he’s more mature and not being made an offer by the Canadiens was the kick in the rear that he needed to bear down and get to work.

———————————
        For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

• Kooch7800 says:

Maybe but you would think being in professional hockey he could find a good trainer if he wanted too.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I know, Paul Bissonnette was joking at the BioSteel camp that the fee for attending was a write-off on his taxes.

There are lots of trainers out there with different philosophies, I’m thinking that Benoit didn’t really buy in or find one he liked until this season. All the best to him, except I hope he misses the playoffs.

———————————

• Pouliot doesn’t seem to harbour any ill will, and no matter how hard Marinaro tries to force him into bashing Martin he has nothing bad to say about the coach. How disappointing for Martin bashers.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Guys, we need to cool it with the 10 or 15 lbs of muscle gained in one summer. A grown athlete can, if he trains diligently for an entire year, add a maximum of five pounds. That’s just physiology, putting on pounds of lean muscle mass is very very hard.

Teenagers becoming adults can put on mass quickly. That’s why I find it funny when I see reports on 18 year old kids barely drafted in the NHL that state they need to add pounds to their frame. Obviously they do and they will, they’re not fully grown yet. A player like Jared Tinordi can easily show up to a training camp 10 or 15 solid pounds above his weight the previous camp. A smaller player or an adult will not be able to do this.

Another factor to consider is that all these reports are from players who are optimistic and will accentuate the positive, they’ll compare their best weigh-in with the worst one in the heat of the playoff race after they’ve had the flu. In fact, most players reporting to camp will be heavier than at the end of the previous season, since their body will have recovered from the wear and tear of a long NHL season and will be in peak form.

So, is Lars Eller 10-12 pounds heavier than last season? Probably. Did Benoit Pouliot “put on 15 pounds of muscle”? No he didn’t. He doesn’t even claim to, he states in the interview that he’s heavier by that amount, which is believable.

———————————

• HabsFanInTampa says:

I don’t think the Habs organization (or me, for that matter) will regret NOT signing Pouliot. I’m glad he’s gone. Me thinks not resigning Halpern or The Wiz is regrettable.

24. jwhogeveen says:

@HabinBurlington
    Thanks so much for the training camp tip. If you happen to hear anything else please let me know, i would really appreciate it.
    Cheers

No problem, hey do you have a cousin or relative named George from Southern Alberta, near Bow River? I Played ball with a George Hogeveen in college out in BC.

25. Shane1313 says:

Hey, anybody have a good idea on what kind of coach Cunneyworth is? My hope is that he’s a good communicator, anybody know if he is?

• PrimeTime says:

I would think that PG and JM have a pretty good idea.

That question has asked been asked here before. What might be nice is if the staff at HIO could perhaps get an interview with one of the sports writers from the Hamilton Spectator, perhaps Steve Milton or another of their writers that covered them. Maybe someone from the Spec could share their knowledge of how Cunneyworth was viewed etc..

• ProHabs says:

He has never communicated with me so I would have to say he is not. Not sure if he communicates with the players though

You didn’t start up making jokes about him from Etobicoke did you? Cuz that would probably be the reason he didn’t communicate with you.

• ProHabs says:

Ha. With the tough brand of hockey Cunneyworth used to play, I don’t think he would have been over sensitive about a couple of Etobicoke jokes.

Cheers! He was a gritty player. I think he is going to do well for the team behind the bench this year.

26. caladin says:

As long as guts like Cooke are tolerated there’s no real hope of reigning in guys like Marchand, IMHO.
    I know it’s been said today but the rule change needed to increase scoring is to enforce the rules and protect players like savers and Crosby. Who do we want in the NHL, DD or Colton Orr?
    Watching the Subban top 10 hits it’s clear that you can hit hard without hitting the head.
    Feel like I’m preaching to the choir here. I wonder what it’ll take to convice buttman?

The amazing part of the PK top 10 hits, in not one of those do you ever see him target or hit the opposing players head. All good body checks. You could argue that the hit agains Wolski (i think) from the Rangers may have been a late hit, but not one hit is dirty from a headshot perspective. What a dissrespectful player indeed to make all those hits both clean and effective!

28. TorontoHabsFan says:

Oh yay, another reminder that Newfoundlanders are one of the few groups that can still be openly mocked in polite company…what fun.

Just wonderin’ would you have made a similar implication if that was a picture of Subban?

• sure if subban was a newfie

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Okay – since I’ll need to spell it out for you.

Say the story wasn’t that the Stanley Cup fell off a table in Newfoundland but that the Cup momentarily disappeared on Subban’s day with it.

Would everyone here find it as uproariously funny to read:

“we don’t want to engage in any vulgar stereotypes here…”

Somehow I doubt it.

• V says:

Exactly the point.

So then perhaps the first issue should be taken up with the staff at HIO for the vulgar stereotypes comment should it not? As to what you are alluding to in your comparison to Subban, I think that in itself is a much worse allusion. However, I understand the point you are making in regards to jokes from those hailing from Newfoundland and Labrador. I guess some of us are either too old school or we view ourselves a little different. On my ball team, I am constantly referred to as squarehead or Franz, and I find it quite humorous.

Edit: In rereading the comments, I see that is what V was doing initially, in taking HIO to task. my apologies.

• V says:

Glad you enjoy it. All we are saying is let’s not use vulgar stereotypes for the sake of those that don’t enjoy them.

• bad analogy, a better one would be if subban mistakenly didnt leave a tip or his phone got cut off, that would be more like it

but in all seriousness, this little world that your trying to paint that is without humour and that everyone’s thin skin must be coddled

DO NOT WANT

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Oh I have a great sense of humour. Being laughed at as a moron based on where my mother was born does not seem funny to me.

I’m just weird that way.

• the thing about newfie jokes at least from my perspective is its never about the newfie’s, but about the jokes

and lets face it, the only time people talk about newfoundland is when they talk about the time they tried screech, that they had a relative who participated in the seal hunt or in a newfie joke… considering the state of the hunt do you really wanna just be associated with screech?

• TorontoHabsFan says:

What on earth is a “pollock”?

The fish? The painter?

• someone from poland, spelled polack, my bad

• Ah yes, because it’s there’s SUCH an equivalency between saying Newfies are clumsy and all black people are thieves? Not even remotely a relevant comparison.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Well actually the stereotype is that Newfoundlanders are stupid and lazy.

I think it’s completely apt comparison.

• And what about Ryder dropping the cup brings up any accusations about lazy? Come on, you’re looking to be offended. My dad’s a Newfie, who gives a crap?

• TorontoHabsFan says:

The implication is that only a Newfoundlander could be stupid enough to drop the Stanley Cup.

I added that Newfoundlanders are also considered to be lazy to round out the stereotype. Because you had claimed that the stereotypes surrounding African/Caribbean Canadians bear no resemblance to those surrounding Newfoundlanders.

I’m saying that *I* give a crap. I’m not looking to be offended. I’m not offended. To be offended I’d have to be surprised. As I said initially – it’s always so much fun to be reminded that Newfoundlanders can be mocked in polite company. It’s a real hoot. One great, big, tiresome hoot.

• its a total hoot

a big offensive hoot

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Nope, not offended. Again, being surprised is a crucial element in taking offense.

And I ain’t surprised.

It’s exactly the same thing when I hear lazy slurs against French Canadians. Completely unsurprising at this point.

Disappointment, not offense.

• jokes and slurs are not the same thing

also.; surprise?

• TorontoHabsFan says:

You’re right. Jokes and slurs aren’t the same thing. The difference?

Context.

• exactly

so get over it

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Odd that you agree with me, everything else you’ve written points to the opposite conclusion – that context doesn’t matter…that one can make any kind of statement in any situation and if offense is taken, it’s the audience’s fault.

Glad I could change your mind!

• is that what you got out of that?

lol @ not/w

you are the one feigning offence at newfie jokes while disregarding the —>context<— that the jokes arent about newfies, but about the jokes themselves, evidence of this is that the same jokes are said about polacks and belgians… is it because people actually think these things, generally no, but these jokes require a butt end and newfies, belgians and polacks drew short straws

glad you know what i meant by context (derp)

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Just because the same jokes are said about different groups doesn’t make them okay. It just means that bigots aren’t especially creative.

• OR

it means some people are unnecessarily sensitive to submarine with screen door jokes

• V says:

All kidding aside, you’re really not going to be able to understand what we are trying to say to you, are you?

29. Shane1313 says:

That video is amazing.

• JD_ says:

Although not at all surprisin’, it’s still awfully frustratin’ to hear it confirmed.

• PrimeTime says:

This will not be an era fondly reflected upon in years ahead. Hopefully it will however be noted as a time when the NHL finally came to its senses (pun intended).

• V says:

That’s a shame. Too bad when any player faces the loss of his career over a hit like that.

• Kooch7800 says:

That is too bad. Savard is a pretty nice guy in person. I met him when he played with Generals.

I would highly doubt he ever plays again in the NHL. He has been out for so long and he doesn’t need the money. He needs to think about being able to function for his wife and kids.

He should collect his contract and retire.

Your comments on worrying about the rest of his life are so true. Interesting timing, my coworker’s kids play alot of lacrosse and he sees members of the Primeau family alot at games. I guess just recently Keith went down south for an event (not sure) and upon arrival had 2 days of solid headaches as a result of the flight. Just sad what he and others continue to have to deal with as a result of these horrific head injuries.

• Kooch7800 says:

People don’t realize how much is screws up peoples lives. It is crazy.

If Crosby gets another serious one his career could be over. The fact that the NHL has not made it a mandatory penalty for a hit to the head baffles me. It is that way in international hockey and last time I checked it was still a very physical and entertaining game.

The NHL really needs to wake up and take some responsibility for its players and make the players accountable for their actions. Discipline should be done by a neutral third party.

You don’t think Shanahan isn’t friends with certain players and GM’s, coaches etc? It should be done by someone without those conflicts of interest. It isn’t like there isn’t options out there.

If they are going to use a former player for this position, I think the player has to be at least 10-15 years removed from playing. He can’t have former teammates, pals etc… facing his justice. I am all in favour of an indepent ruling person/committee etc… But if it is going to be a past player, make it someone like a Denis Potvin. He is a very bright well spoken guy who understands the game and no longer has “friends” playing.

To all the big Wiz fans, Mr. Wisniewski threw the opening pitch at the Reds baseball game last night.
    Saw the highlight on TSN, threw a good pitch, couldn’t find video on Internet.

31. tote-road says:

That’s too bad about the dent in the cup. I sure hope they get it fixed before it’s Colin Campbell’s turn to have it for the day.

32. V says:

‘We don’t want to engage in vulgar stereotypes.’

Too late.

As a consultant, I work a lot with Newfoundlanders and they are among the brightest, friendliest, most competent people in our work. So why is it that the Cup falls off a table in Newfoundland and HIO has to resist the temptation for vulgar stereotyping?

• V says:

There must be a little truth to what you say because you’re not the first moron to say so.

• lighten up

every culture has a set of jokes that they pin on a certain group

americans have pollocks, europe has belgians, we have newfies, its all in jest

What jokes are we allowed to laugh at anymore in this Political Correct society?

• V says:

What do you mean, ‘we’ have newfies’. Newfoundlanders aren’t ‘they’, they are a part of us. ‘We’ includes Newfoundlanders.

I am offended you neglected to mention the good people from Labrador!

• im saying WE as canadians have newfies to base silly jokes on, would you prefer we use belgians? cuz that would be random no?

“Have you heard the one about the poster who was too stupid to know Newfoundland was a province of Canada?”

nope

“How about you lightening up? When I implied you were a moron, I was just kidding… moron jokes just rock.”

agreed they do and you calling me a moron brought a smile to my face

• DearyLeary says:

The best Newfie jokes I’ve ever heard have been told by actual Newfies.

• Exactly. People need to lighten up. I’m originally from Saskatchewan and I find jokes about Sask hilarious. Just because a joke is made doesn’t make it offensive.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Context matters – a joke told between friends that plays on stereotypes is VERY different from a blanket assertion about a group of people without a prior understanding.

I mean I can make jokes to my friend about his gay dad that I absolutely would never think of doing to my girlfriend’s gay coworker. My friend KNOWS that I’m joking around and that I hold his friendship in high esteem. To my girlfriend’s coworker I’d just be a prick.

make sense?

I hear you on context TorontoHabfan. I suspect at times it is easy for me at least, to get comfortable with the regular posters on this site. I just really think the majority of us like to prod each other about anything and everything all the time.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I don’t want to give the impression that I’m a prig – I make lots and lots of extremely off-colour jokes to my friends. Of course 95% of the joke is mimicking the cretins who believe such patently absurd things.

The problem is that no such relationship exists here. Recall the furour that Ian engendered when he posted a list of things that people from Quebec believe? He was jumped all over (he even had to take down the post after explaining that he just copied and pasted it from a forwarded email).

If IAN can be misunderstood – sufficed to say, anyone can :D

cheers

• G-Man says:

Run for your lives before you, too become “politically correct”. Loose translation of pc: don’t offend anyone. Don’t say or do anything ever.

Lighten up, ffs!

33. JD_ says:

Happy birthday JB!

Of course, I’m talkin’ New Jersey born rapper Joe Budden who is a whoppin’ 31 years old today. Nah, I’m not, although that would have been cool in an Apocalypse Now kinda way.

I’m talkin’ m’man Le Gros Bill. Eighty years young and still a force to be reckoned with.

I started collectin’ hockey cards durin’ his last season with the Habs, but only snagged this Special Collector’s Card the followin’ year. Thanks to that marvel of modern science, Scotch® tape, it is in far from mint condition.

And little did I know the genesis of the Scotch® brand was apparently a slur.

In readin’ the Larry Eller EoTP piece, I’m realizin’ there’s one last little thing he needs to work on. I mean, fillin’ out his sizeable frame is all well and good, and the confidence should be higher this season, but he’s gonna have to do somethin’ about that altar boy face.

On the presumption his facial hair would make Crosby’s appear sasquatchesque by comparison, Larry should probably look into acquirin’ a decent scar. Full Börje, baby!

Larry Eller: Number one pick to surprise on the upside in 2011-12.

I looked over Engels’ Habs predictions and, although one could argue either way on a few of them, the one where he and I are bang on the same page is the expectation AK46 is gonna get moved durin’ the season, regardless of how he performs.

Truth be told, the better AK46 does, the higher the probability he is traded, probably along with some D prospects, to a team with decent top-9 depth but an agin’ or UFA-heavy D-corps.

It’s absolutely not personal, just a business scent waftin’ about Habs HQ.

It was just a table play. Sure it was. If you look in Ryder’s eyes, you can see the intent. It’s obvious to real hockey fans that, by dingin’ up the Cup, he’s symbolically lashin’ out at the Broonz org for not re-uppin’ him.

Patrick Roy is the greatest ever. And that’s the truth.

• Morenz7 says:

Hey, explain that Scotch brand-slur thing to me. I don’t have time to Google it ..

• secretdragonfly says:

From Wikipedia:

Use of the term “Scotch” in the name has a pejorative origin. A customer complained that 3M was manufacturing its masking tape too cheaply, and told company engineer Richard Drew to, “take this tape back to your stingy Scotch bosses and tell them to put more adhesive on it.”

34. G-Man says:

Can’t wait for the season to start so the Gooins can display how sh!it they are in reality without Daddy Campbell’s help. May Chara have his head caved in and Thomas have the horseshoe that’s been stuck up his a$$ fall out, never to be re-inserted.

• RetroMikey says:

Why are you bringing up the past? You and others can’t take losing lightly can you? Wake up! The Bruins won fair and square and will b a contender and and looking to repeat.
      If we are to beat the Bruins, we need some goons on our team as well.
      If not, it will be another season of “what ifs”….7th place finish for us with a healthy lineup.
      Not good, as afar as I’m concerned.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

35. The Dude says:

That’s what happens when you don’t win a Cup in 20 years. In Toronto ,it’s been so dry for a Stanley Cup”67,lol”that Soccer is the no:1 sport there. And the Habs aren’t doing themselves a favor in Quebec with only two Francophones on the squad……And don’t give me the “there aren’t any good Franco athlete’s available” cause that’s bullshite.

• shiram says:

Always feel like replying to your posts with this : Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.
      I think it will work quite nicely here.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• PrimeTime says:

Not sure what you are referring to with “Soccer is the no:1 sport there.” but if it’s youth sports, there has been much discussion in Toronto and the GTA of the cost differential between the two sports. Soccer is widely popular amonst all ages and both sexes due to not only the cost but the multi-cultural mix as well. A skilled soccer player can be developed in the highest competitive levels for a few grand a year…….hockey is 5x as much at the teen level.

In regards to Franco athletes, if the Q minor leagues followed the rest of the CHL leagues and emphasize skill development and practice as a higher ratio to games played the talent may be more even. Not knocking Q hockey players but if there are so many then they would be playng somewhere?? Not too many professional teams look to their own backyard to draft players.

• WarHero says:

Not enough Francophones? Really?

I hate hearing this argument. You either like the team or you don’t, you don’t get a choice over the nationality of the players.

• “And don’t give me the “there aren’t any good Franco athlete’s available FOR ALL 30 TEAMS”

fixed

• habaddict_andy says:

Ummm…never mind.

Wait, just want to remind you that you will be first in my list to tell you “I told you so” when Canadiens pass the conference final. The stanley cup would will be even sweeter.

I’m definitely bias when it comes to Canadiens I get that. But your post are quite the opposite opinions than mine. I do not get it when you say how hopeless Canadiens are when I see that we are much better off now then we were 5 years ago. I do not get it why the addition of Cole and Yemelin do not get you excited.

• 44har48 says:

Exactly, I’m with you. This is the best shape this franchise has been in since, I’ll say it, 1979. The cups we won in 80’s and 90’s were great, but those teams were not powerhouses like we are building here. How can you not be excited about where we are going in the near future?

• 44har48 says:

Dude, maybe it’s because I’m amercican and live in the US, but I could give two shits if our coach speaks french or we have anyone from Quebec on our team. I respect the french media and we would have to translate for them to communicate yadidy yah… I want the best players and coaches in the world on my team and I want to win. Am I really that differant than the rest of my fellow Habs fans?

• Kooch7800 says:

nope. There are some people who just want to complain about everything…..If the habs win the cup it won’t be good enough cause it wasn’t on a Saturday.

I really don’t care where a player is from as long as they are a good team. There are a ton of good french players in the NHL and should that not really be what matters? Not all of them want to play in Quebec and being French adds extra pressure. Look at Briere he never wanted to play for the habs. He chose Philly instead.

Cammy is from Toronto and he wanted to play for Montreal….so people’s argument about not having enough French people is crazy. Last time I checked both Canada and the States were free countries where people can do what they want.

Hey I will do my best personally to try and confirm that soccer is now the #1 sport in Toronto. Okay I finished and no, based on people I asked “what do you want to watch? Toronto FC or Toronto Maple Leafs? Survey said Leafs. However, I will try again. Nope still same answers. They may enjoy cheering for a loser, but they are still cheering for the same losers in the Blue and White. There was some complaining however that there wasn’t enough Swedes on the team. No mention of all the Americans on the team.

36. Neutral says:

Habs will be a good team this year if they stay healthy. could they win the Stanley cup a lot of ?????????????? gotta want it like Boston They didn’t have a lot of talent but lots of toughness along with great goaltending.

37. SmartDog says:

Great feature on Eller yesterday. Check it out if you didn’t see it. I love this kid!

Today… more Bruins news. BARF. Looks like some good links but I’ve lost interest.

See you tomorrow.

PS: Happy B-day Big Jean!! Maybe when you turn 90, HIO will give you the headline.

*****WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. *****

38. HabFanSince72 says:

1. Looks like summer is ending.
    2. They are remaking Footloose and Dirty Dancing.
    3. I think the Habs are making one more move (e4).

• shiram says:

I can confirm that e4, they changed the red line designs at the Bell center. They have habs logo on the red lines now.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

TIMO- The Hab’s season finished two months ahead of the Bruins.

Much different story this year my friend.

I honestly think that since the spring last year Bruins have received more coverage on this forum than the Habs.

2011 FAN SUMMIT INFORMATION NOV. 18,19,20

I need firm Summit event people numbers please, from everyone. So that the proper reservations can be made. Leave your name and numbers per event.

Anyone can come, season ticket holders or even people that are not going to the game but would like to participate in some of our events. Please call me at 613-968-9807 or e-mail me at cobb(my first name)grant@yahoo.ca with how many for each event. ASAP

For Hurley’s Pub both Friday eve and Saturday night after the game, it is already reserved. No need of numbers, everyone can just show up saying you are with HIO. Name tags will be given out.

1st– Saturday breakfast Chez Cora’s 8:30am. 15% discount for everyone.

2nd–Hall of Fame Tour with Catherine Richard,(the Pockets Grandaughter) 10:30am.

2nd- (A) After the tour we are having a meet with some former players and a 45 min. presentation by Keith Primeau former captain of the Flyers, about the concussion topic.

3rd–Baton Rouge rest. Children’s Foundation Charity Raffle at 3pm, each person is asked to bring a donation gift, and our pre game meal with special guests. This is one event you do not want to miss folks.

Book your room early

Hotel regular rates are $139 and $149. BUT!

Our HIO special rates are as follows.
    Hotel rates.single $119, Double $119, Triple $144, Quad $$169

Be sure to tell them you are with HIO.

Mrs. Xich-Vê HÔ (pronounced “sik-vay”)
    Sales Manager- Leisure Groups and Catering
    1180 de la Montagne
    Montréal, Qc H3G 1Z1

Tel : 1 514 871 2138
    866-861-6112

42. sauster says:

On the Tim’s commercial; I really do believe it is too late. The NHL in past years has been too busy looking at the bottom line to take matters in their own hands and rectify the direction in which the game has gone.
    They’ve instilled in the game a culture that promotes violence as a form of entertainment rather than skill and talent. As some of our best players are falling and not getting up, the NHL is busy trying to increase average goals scored per game. It is pretty sad when top scorers are out of the game for months or even years due to head injury and the culprits are still in the lineup.
    But let’s keep focusing on what’s REALLY IMPORTANT: scoring more goals!

TheHockeyRecord.com
    Recalling hockey records daily and taking an in-depth look at what they mean for the game of hockey.

• petefleet says:

The irony is that the guys getting knocked out, excuse the pun, of the game are the guys who actually could increase goal production if they were playing. The guys who are doing the hitting, are the guys who can’t score for love nor money.
      I hate the new American NHL and Bettman.

***Habs Forever***

• Kooch7800 says:

Hockey has always been a very physical sport. What sets it apart these days is the lack of respect between players and the NHL’s inability to suspend people consistently and having different rules for different players.
      Like what Eric Cole said in his TSN interview earlier this week, you can’t trust anyone out there. That is a pretty scary thought but too be honest really sums up the way NHL hockey is currently being played.
      I don’t think it is too late. If the NHL starts suspending people and making set suspensions for acts you will have a culture change pretty quickly.
      I still love a good body check but when they are clean.
      With all that happened in the last couple of years, savard, Bergeron, Crosby, booth, Paccioretti …etc how the NHL can say the game is as good as it has ever been is crazy.

43. JasonM says:

NHL sources won’t say “dented” per se but do confirm the Cup sustained an upper-bowl injury.

44. The Dude says:

Hands down Ken Dryden was the best!

45. Dwayne33 says:

Update from Ryder’s day with the cup… Shortly after “Stanley’s” great fall, they air lifted Dr. Recchi to St. John’s for his professional opinion. After examining “Stanley”, his diagnosis was, “Stanley only had bruising on his head and he didn’t believe his neck was even injured. He told Stanley to suck it up, take a couple of advil, a little rest and he should be back to normal and he could even take in a movie or two if he wanted!

46. Psycho29 says:

Where the heck was Phil Pritchard?

The first place I’d check is Brad Marchand’s trailer. He might still be tied up there. :-)

The music was all wrong in that video. It wasn’t heavy enough. It would have been much heavier if it was Slayer or Metallica.

My point being that all professional sports have their gruesome hits and accidents.

Man up faeries!!! Put on your boots.

Next thing you know hockey will be no contact and the players will be wearing little tutus and have teeth on their skates.

I had to watch Scott Stevens greatest hits just to wash the bad taste left over from that commie pinko bleeding heart piece of utopian propaganda.

48. LL says:

So yesterday, I’m walking through Place Montreal Trust, and there’s a whole bunch of Hockey people there, including Rejean Houle.

They were distributing little white hockey sticks with 29 on them. I ask a woman if this is a private party, she replies “Yes”, so I keep on walking.

Today I read that my beloved Ken Dryden Statue in Place Vertu near my home is being moved Downtown. :(

Well, it’s a good thing because Place Vertu has become dinky, and a Masterpiece such as Ken’s statue needs to be viewed by many more people. It’s nice to see him honoured.

49. Psycho29 says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. BELIVEAU!
    If you read my bio, you know my Dad got to work with Jean at Molson’s (many moons ago) and became good friends with him.
    I remember asking my Dad a couple of years before he passed away in 1995 about Beliveau, and my Dad told me that he had never met a nicer, more genuine person in his 85+ years than Jean. He said the worse thing he heard anyone say about Jean is that he’s “too nice”.
    When my Dad retired, they didn’t see each other as often. So when Dad passed away, we were touched to see Mr.Beliveau show up at my Dad’s funeral. They probably hadn’t seen each other for at least 10 years.
    Here’s to many more Happy Birthdays for Jean Beliveau!

• Goderichab says:

My memories of Gros Bill go back to the Citadelles in QC. He was spokeman for Martin’s Dairy and the superstar of our Jr A team.
      He came to St Pat’s High School to improve his English and Leonard High, the girls school, is where his lovely wife attended.
      We feared his departure to the Habs, but he stayed on to guarantee attendance at the “new” Colisee playing then with the Aces…Quebec Sr Hockey.
      We had no doubt he would be a star and a gentleman. He was as a young man and just continued to be, as he matured.
      There is no doubt in my mind that he epitomizes what all pro sports legends should be, a model of decency for the young sports activists
      regardless of the sport of their choosing…
      I have seen and watched the greatest but by far he is the most complete package of what a Super Star should be…Thanks for the Memories and may you enjoy many more birthdays!

I remember the dynasties…

50. harpman says:

Happy Birthday Mr Beliveau!!. Big #4 was the reason I became a Habs fan when I was a kid during the 1960 season…..Thank
    s for the memories!!!

51. Hobie Hansen says:

Thomas and Ryder are the only two Bruins I’m happy to see with the Stanley cup.

Ryder is a quality player who has had a couple knocks against him for not playing both sides of the puck but all in all; the guy scores big goals, is humble and you don’t see him acting like an obnoxious puke like a lot of the Bruins.

• krob1000 says:

I am happy for Patrice Bergeron who looked at one point like he may never play again. I was also happy to see Chris Kelly get a cup as he always worked his butt off in Ottawa and is very underrated IMO.

I am really happy for Lucic, Chara and Marchand, their hard work has finally paid off….. I can’t write this crap! I am really not happy for anyone on that team, Sorry! Lets take it back. Nothing would rain on their Stanley Cup Parade more than the Habs winning it the following year.

Make it so Boys.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll say Bergeron, Ryder and Krejci. The others make me gag.

———————————

52. krob1000 says:

Question for those who play center or coach…..
    I was showing my little guy how take a draw the other day getting ready for his season and it hit me like a ton of bricks….guys are strong on their backhand….because they have the leverage…and this is despite many having curved sticks..sometimes (like me) very curved for a center. There are a variety of diff’t techniques on the backhand but they are far harder to employ on the forehand because leverage and strength are not working in your favour.

Why do players not simply reverse their grip on the forehand….they would actually be able to get leverage and at the same time would be doing so with the curved side of their stick and have a huge advantage. I know it would be awkward for us who have played a long time and would take a while to perfect but kids should be learning this or am i missing something? With so much emphasis on faceoffs these days it should at the very least be experimented with. Many centers use straightter blades I know but leverage is and always has been the key to draws so why do we put ourselves at a disadvantage on our forehand????

• Ian Cobb says:

KROB–Somebody better show the Hab’s how win a face off, it is one of the poorest plays for our club. Maybe you better apply my friend.

• krob1000 says:

lol Ian I have issues in my men’s league…can’t win on
        on my forehand if I am facing a guy on his backhand…that is what got me thinking while I was showing my little guy….seriously though…why do we put ourselves at an immediate disadvantage in the circle on what in theory should be our sticks better side? it really makes no sense when you look at it as simply as possible.

94K–answer to your post below.

You have got that right. He is a wonderful young man, when he lived and played here, he was into the community events all the time giving of himself. When Gainey drafted him, I knew immediately the fortunes of the Hab’s were on the up swing. I have had many junior players billeting at my home with us over the years, so you get to know the whole team personally. The best two kids to play here for the Belleville Bulls, as far as class kids are concerned were 1st James Boyd, who lived with us for 3 years and is now head coach and GM of the Mississauga Saint Mikes Majors of the OHL and the other was PK. Both wonderful kids.

54. Marc10 says:

When Pronger begins to slow down, this team will be in a world of pain. I’m thinking that could very well happen this year…

55. Chris says:

The original Stanley Cup is sitting in the trophy room at the Hockey Hall of Fame. So spare any feigned outrage for our cultural heirloom…it didn’t get hurt. This Stanley Cup is the official “Presentation” version, and if it is badly enough hurt, they just make another one.

So speaking of Phil Pritchard I have a real nice story about him.

About 6 years ago the slo-pitch team I was playing on was made up of a bunch of guys who went to high school with Phil in Burlington, then called Lord Nelson High School (since changed name).
    I had joined the team a few years earlier and replaced a fellow who had been playing shortstop as he was busy with toddlers and couldn’t play on that team anymore.

Well in a tragic circumstance he was diagnosed with brain cancer. His last summer with us, the guys on the ball team and Phil got together and we planned an outdoor road hockey game. You guys can already guess what trophy we were playing for, and yah the table we used to hold it up, had all 4 legs operable and working fine.

There we were playing in front of our friend Brian on his driveway/road with the Stanley Cup as our prize. Later that year Brian past with a couple young kids and a beautiful wife left behind. Most of the group still gets together for Terry Fox walk/run and Phil joins every year as we wear our Brian’s team shirts. Was a pretty special day for all of us, but especially for Brian as he was able to hand the Cup to his buddies.

Phil Pritchard is a stand up great guy and deserves alot of credit for making alot of guys have a memorable day with their friend. I wasn’t very close to Brian as the rest of the guys not having gone to high school with them, but was still able to drink it all in. Pretty special, now I need to take a few minutes as I am covered in goose bumps typing this.

57. habs178 says:

Does anyone know who the guy is laid out in the Crosby ad having a seizure?

“How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?”
    ~Jacques Plante

58. Ed says:

Boone says “We don’t want to engage in vulgar stereotypes.”

Well, why even mention it, if you don’t want to engage in it? Are you trying to get somebody to use the term that you are not so subtly hinting at. Me thinks so.

• Bash says:

Couldn’t agree more! I hope for Boone’s sake that PK does not drop the mug, no “vulgar stereotype” implied!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

59. The Habs are going to be a team that will compete in the East this year. If the team can stay healthy FREE? Here is how the line-up should look like to start the season IMHO. The 1st line was the only scoring line to start the season last year. I think this line can regain its scoring touch again if reunited? 2nd line will be known as the “CRUNCH Line” by generating allot of scoring chances by crowding the goalies crease with their size. Expect this line to explode when Gomez carries the puck over the blue line while both wingers are going to the net with force and Gomer setting the D to shoot the puck from the point for tap ins on rebounds. 3rd line can help the PK when the Habs are a man short. Both wingers can score some big goals when needed too. 4th line will see about 8 – 10 minutes a game against the other teams 4th line. Let the season begin!!!!!! Go Habs Go!!!! Go Habs Go!!!!

AK46 – Plekanec – Cammalleri

Markov – Subban

Pacioretty – Gomez – Cole

Gorges – Gill

Darche – Eller – Gionta

Spacek/Yemelin – Weber

Moen – DD – White

Price

60. Chuck says:

Ryder with hands of stone. Perhaps he should stick to playing goal.

• Ed says:

Come on Chuck. You know better than that. Ryder laid the Cup right in the center of the table, not knowing that somebody had forgotten to lock one of the table’s legs in place. How can you blame it on him.

I know that he was blamed for Montreal’s woes when he was there, but alas, Montreal still has those woes, while Ryder played a significant part during the playoffs in helping the Bruins win the cup.

I will acknowledge the fact that you seem to appreciate the save that he made on Plekanec.

61. joshua94k says:

Last night my two sons (8 & 5) and I met PK Subban at AJ Sportsworld in Vaughn, Ontario. He was there for meeeting fans and signing autographs. He is class personified. He took time to speak with everyone and patiently posed for pictures. My kids were elated. They are huge Subban fans and it was a dream come true for them. He agreed with me when I told him that the Habs will win the Stanley Cup this year.

62. PrimeTime says:

Phily us showing confidence that van Riemsdyk will progressively improve to be a key contributor to their team. I guess the same can’t be said of Bruins with Marchand.

63. j0nHABS says:

can the cup be fixed? that is a nasty dent!

Is it October Yet??

64. The 2011 Summit

For fans wondering about the Children’s Foundation Charity Auction. It takes place at the Baton Rouge, 3PM. Tickets for the raffle are 20.00 each, or 3 for 40.00

Last season’s Summit, each member brought a gift to be auctioned off. There were autographs, novelties, cards, books, pictures, Canadiens tickets, and of course I won the famous Dave Stubbs Media Pass to the Bell Center (I tried to use it but I wasn’t fooling anyone that I wasn’t Mr Stubbs. Joking of course).

This season I and my company are putting together a very nice autograph package for the Children’s Foundation. The Great Mr Beliveau will be one of many Canadien greats in it.

I know it’s a ways away but I’m really excited this Summit. I love that City and this Team. No matter what happens, I’m always a Fan.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

65. HabsFanInTampa says:

Actually it wasn’t Ryder’s fault that the Cup toppled over and got dented. He placed it on the table and the legs gave out. It was the moron who set up the folding table that was responsible.

66. RetroMikey says:

LMAO! Come on Boone, the Cup was dented many, many times over the past 100 years by wild celebrations by players but never published out there for the fans to read including being thrown in a Swimming Pool!
    Care to share some stories?
    Great to see Michael Ryder hoisting the Cup!
    Too bad he won’t be hoisting the Cup again this season with signing for another team, he should have stayed in Boston.
    By the way, there are 2 Stanley Cups, the replica is being showcased now and the original sits solely in the Hall of Fame in Toronto.
    Not too worry fans.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Un Canadien errant says:

“LMAO”? Really? You’re really laughing so hard that body parts are shaking off? As opposed to this being mildly amusing? You were so pressed for time that you couldn’t state that you find this amusing? You had to resort to the acronym, devoid of meaning as it is?

I do note that you make heavy use of the exclamation point though!!!! My philosophy prof used to say that the only proper place for one is in a teenaged girl’s diary. OMG!!!!

———————————

67. TorontoHabsFan says:

That sound you just heard was the 29 other GMs loudly cursing the name Paul Holmgren for signing van Riemsdyk to that ridiculous contract.

Sufficed to say, when 2 year pros with seasons of 35 and 40 points are given contracts worth $4.25m/yr, another labour stoppage isn’t too far away.

• 24 Cups says:

Which begs the question – what will we have to pay Subban after this year ends?

We know that Price will be breaking the bank, as he will probably be north of 6M.

van Riemsdyk was locked up for six years based solely on his potential upside. He really hasn’t broken through yet as a quality player in the regular season. Something tells me most Hab fans would settle for the same deal for Subban next summer. It goes all the way back to the original Bergeron contract. That deal was one of the first steps to fiscal insanity in the NHL.

Everyone is going on about how Fehr is going to kick the NHL’s butt. Why bother when they’re already doing it to themselves?

• Corporate says:

Well I would have to say that, Philly will be in worst shape than Chicago was when they won the cup. They can’t keep everyone at those salaries. To be honest, they didn’t learn? They had to let go of their young stallions and get other guys in that will make almost as much. That is why there is a cap, so that teams like this don’t last too long. I agree the contracts are insane but if they are under the cap then there isn’t much of a problem.

68. DearyLeary says:

Rule #1 about the Stanley Cup in Newfoundland: No Screech.

69. gatorhabs says:

Dented Cup, eh?

I hope this brings bad luck to the Bruins for a long time…

Let the curse of the dent begin!

70. neumann103 says:

THN puts the Flyers 4th in the East. Philly may have improved themselves two years down the road but they made themselves worse now. And overpaying for Ilya Bryzlaylalgovosovgiv is not going to help when they next face a cap challenge and have to sign some of these star kids.

I really don’t get the love for the bullies. They are the team in the East I expect to slip the most.

“Et le but!”

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Philly has a real goalie now and that alone is enough to steal a few games and ram a new backbone up the spine of the team. They also may very well have cut a serious cancer out of their locker room. Being a fan of an organization that preaches chemistry, I am cautiously worried about the potential success of Philly’s overhaul. The changes, of course, have made it all but impossible to rank the team. Heck, it will still be hard to rank the team 10 games into the season. I guess the most this says is the THN writer likes what Holmgren did with the team.

• neumann103 says:

You make a valid point.

I agree that you could see this team 3rd or 10th. My reaction is partially just based on looking at the teams in the East (particularly the playoff teams) and seeing who got better and worse in the offseason.

Mainly, I am just slack-jawed at the thought that losing Richards and Carter are positives, let alone made up for (immediately anyhow) by the return of Voracek and Schenn.

Hey, I agree that Bryz is an improvement in the chronic Flyer weakness in goal but at what cost for how long and and compared to whom?

It is hard for me to take seriously the “cutting the cancer out of the dressing room” meme when the surgeon doing the cutting is that idiot Laviolette and the hospital is that “first class organization” run by Holmgren and Snider.

I admit that I don’t follow the Flyers obsessively, but I find the negativity directed at Richards and Carter excessive. In any event, the “Sober Island” coercion attempted by coach is inappropriate. When I first heard of it I thought of some southern football coach who forces everyone to pray to Jesus before games because God obviously wants our team to win. I don’t regard rejecting such things as a character flaw.

And while many of us like to rip on the Broons no organization in hockey has a more consistent record of supporting goonery and sacrificing the health and careers of their own players than the Flyers.

Big caveat: They got rid of Dan Carcillo. Maybe that does speak to improving character in the dressing room and non-psycho management.

“Et le but!”

• neumann103 says:

Jesus, I really hate the lack of a preview and the weird HTML tagging formats accepted here.

What i meant (minus all attempts at tagging) was

You make a valid point:

“I am cautiously worried about the potential success of Philly’s overhaul. The changes, of course, have made it all but impossible to rank the team.”

“Et le but!”