‘When he heard the news, our captain was crying in my arms’, Therrien says

The Canadiens will face elimination in Game 5 against the Ottawa Senators Thursday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690), but the season is already over for captain Brian Gionta.

Gionta will have surgery on a torn left bicep muscle Friday. Gionta tore his right bicep in January 2012 and said he is confident he will be ready for the start of training camp in September.

Gionta said he suffered his latest injury in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarter-final series.

“My arm was bent back and I heard a pop just like the first time,” the captain said.

Gionta finished the game, sat out Game 2, played 18:10 and collected an assist in Game 3 before deciding to shut it down for the season. He said it wasn’t a question of pain or fear of further damage.

“There was a loss of function,” Gionta said.

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien praised his captain’s courage and said the veteran was devastated by the latest injury.

“When he heard the news, our captain was crying in my arms,” Therrien said.

Said Gionta: “It’s discouraging. The fact that not too many people have had it and it happens in back-to-back years, it’s definitely hard to deal with.”

The Canadiens also announced that forwards Ryan White and Brandon Prust are definitely out for Game 5 with upper-body injuries, joining Gionta, Alexei Emelin and Lars Eller on the sidelines. Goalie Carey Price is listed as day-to-day with a lower-body injury.

Eller, who suffered a concussion and facial injuries when he was hit by Ottawa defenceman Eric Gryba in Game 1, skated Wednesday in Brossard, but is unlikely to see any further playoff action unless the Canadiens get past the Senators.

“It’s great news to see him on the ice, to see him around the team, because this is a kid that everybody likes,” Therrien said of Eller. “He’s a good kid and we’re all really upset with what happened to him. But to see him around the team means a lot to the players, to the coaching staff and everyone involved with the team.”

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

Tearful end to Gionta’s season, by Pat Hickey

An unfortunate night to remember, by Dave Stubbs

The TV and radio voices of the Habs, by Brendan Kelly

Sens’ winning goal: the sounds of sadness

Hockey world still adjusting to Subban as first black superstar, by Jack Todd

Kerry Fraser says Sens’ goal should not have counted, by Stu Cowan

Letter: I support the Habs, but not the NHL

Letter: Game 4 was a gift from the NHL to Ottawa

What’s your playoff superstition, by Denise Duguay

Audio: Brian Gionta speaking Wednesday

Audio: Peter Budaj speaking Wednesday

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

1. Mikey_39 says:

Whether we win or lose tomorrow, I’m proud of our boys. The injuries have just taken such a toll and couldn’t have come at a worse time. This team battled hard all season long and have done a great job representing the sweater. I have a feeling they have a few surprises left for us.

2. habsfan0 says:

After Boston won game,CBC wasted NO TIME in switching to the Los Angeles-St. Louis game.

Of course, if the Leafs had won,we’d be inundated with scenes of Don Cherry french kissing half the Laffs team.

3. He Kicks He Scores! Thanks R for the link.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

4. habs1992 says:

Phaneuf was never a smart hockey player, just shows it there. Lol at least he has a hot gf somehow.

I support Carey Price

5. Storman says:

I would not be surprised to see Zebras call first 3 penalties on Montreal tomorrow night so as to show they are not trying to make up for there disgraceful officiating, linesman and video review performance Tuesday night.

6. jedimyrmidon says:

You know what’s striking about the way the Bruins took a 3-1 series lead? The SHEER NORMALCY of the game.

Anyone (i.e. Sens and anti-Habs apologists) who couldn’t feel the lunacy in the air last night either wasn’t watching the game or was ignoring what was happening before their eyes!

7. habsfan0 says:

Streak is still intact.
    Leafs haven’t beat Boston at home in a playoff game since 1959.
    Must be tough being a Laffs fan.

Elisha Cuthbert didn’t look too thrilled when her hubby Dion caused the winning goal to be scored.

8. PrimeTime says:

Maple Leaf Square again ends with disappointment. 9 years and still looking for a playoff win at home!!

9. habs12 says:

listen to how depressed the cbc guys sound. love it.

10. Captain aHab says:

Hope Subban was watching this….this is why you don’t put yourself out of position merely for a big hit…Dion just cost his team a W.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

11. habs12 says:

well, great play by phaneuf lol

• Storman says:

Absolutely ridiculous time to pinch , what a fool, i just cant believe how players can make such bonehead decisions. Filling your team with intelligent hard working players with heart is so very difficult indeed..

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Dion Phaneuf. What a maroon.

13. Storman says:

Even Reimer’s mom seems to think every shot is going to beat him

14. habs1992 says:

I think DD is faster then JAGR hes so slow

I support Carey Price

15. Storman says:

Cherry likes Grabovski or Vanbiesbrouk in OT for Toronto

16. I look at Toronto and thank the lords my old man had me sitting and watching Danny Gallivan and the Canadiens.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

17. nihilz says:

I find it funny that people still complain that the Habs are too small. Sure there is room for a 6’4 220lbs 4th line faceoff guru that is mobile, throws down and can chip in.. but who doesn’t need that guy?

The key is complete players. A la Brandon Prust. Average dude. Plays big and leads by example. These are the guys. Not just size, but character & compete. I’m confident that MB will slowly acquire these types of guys. Cause he happens to be one of those guys.

Already a great young core with lots of youth, picks and some tradable vets. I think MB will make a major move this off season.

Eitherway, these playoffs are a bonus and with a team falling apart due to either the grind or a bad sequence of coincidences.. they have exceeded my expectations. I wasn’t even gonna watch NHL this year.. but this is what IVE BEEN WAITING FOR! I hope they go and take it in 7.. because its possible.

P.S. I’d like to see AK & Perezhogin back. Call me sentimental. : p

Excuse my rantings. hehe

18. slapshot777 says:

I have always maintained that the NHL is as crooked as they come and they have always had their share of crooked people, Alan Eagleson comes to mind as one and now Gary Bettman.

Anyone who thinks that the NHL doesn’t fix games are not living in reality. It may never as been so boldly displayed as it has in the last 10 years or so. Ever since Bettman expanded the teams to the southern belt, he had to prove to people that hockey can survive there.

The only way to do this was put the fix in and it is so poorly done it is as plain as the nose on your face. Just look at the teams who have won over those years. Tampa Bay, Carolina, even Pittsburgh when they were on the verge of leaving town.

When have you ever seen a League keep paying the the bills for a team that should have been moved 5 years ago.

This Montreal/Ottawa series is a prime example of a fix in hockey. To have a game so one sided by officiating and no understanding of rules and all round poor judgement. There is no doubt that the fix is in for Ottawa, what the reason is, is beyond me, maybe it’s a favor being called in for the non call on the Cooke incident vs Karlsson.

Then again there were rumblings about Ottawa being in trouble earlier in the year so maybe they need the extra gate to try and make some money or at least break even.Whatever the reason there is definitely a crooked twist to this series.

In order to try and bring back some sense to this Lague Bettman has to go and so does all these losing money hockey teams. If you can’t support your team then you don’t derserve one. Pull the plug and move on.

Stop trying to make other teams pay for the losing teams by either outright paying for it or by throwing games so that the losing team can make a buck. Whatever happened to the level playing field?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• When teams in Canada subsidies teams in the South, I wonder if revenue Canada considers that an expense? That would be funny, basically we the tax payer are paying for team likes Phoenix and Florida to stay in the NHL.

But I’m just a grunt and no tax genius.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Danno says:

The reason the fix is in for Ottawa is they have had a hard time selling tickets this year. Mike Boone reported there are thousands of tickets given away for many regular season games just to fill the seats and make it look like a sellout crowd when many of the fans came for free. The playoff tickets were not sold out until the Habs finally became their playoff pair. Bettman sees trouble ahead for the Sens franchise unless he can artificially boost fan interest. How better to do this than to hand them fixed games to get them into the playoffs and then keep doing that at the expense of the Habs, who have a long waiting list for seasons tickets.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• fastfreddy says:

Could use his feistiness

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

19. sweetmad says:

The hate on PK is for everything he is,first he is black and I don’t care what anybody says that is part of it,the second he is so energetic and enthusiastic,a lot of people can’t understand this,you don’t do that in hockey.Truth is PK is a poser and an exhibitionist,and I love that,it’s what I have always been,there is nothing wrong with that,I say if you’ve got it flaunt it,I don’t believe in false modesty,he’s had to work very hard to be what he has become, he has every right to be proud.
    If you listen to any interview with him he comes across humble and wishing to please,which I believe he is,but he will not apoligise for the person he is,good on you PK.
    I believe we have another player on our team,just like him,not big enough to play as hard as PK,but for his size plays like a big guy,no body says he’s too big for his boots although he has the same energy and is just as enthusiastic,yet everybody says he great and wants Gallgher on their team,the only difference is that PK is black.
    I only hope the other teams keep on booing PK he thrives on that and it only drives him harder.
    I hope Weekse has a word with PJS(Pig Jack a** sh**) because his bias against PK is more than just an analyst talking hockey,it is personal,and I hate that,it’s not what he’s there for,he just tries to cause trouble.
    GO HABS GO

• H.Upmann says:

Well PJ can only wish he had an ounce of talent that PK has. And to go further along with your point, I think he got damn lucky drafting him at second round, cause he’s obviously 1st round material. Why was he passed over in 1st round? probably being black has something to do with it.. who knows

20. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good luck Gionta. Speedy recovery & Lord Stanley next year.

21. Danno says:

Therrien and Gionta should sing a duet together

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

22. Lupul making the referees look stupid!

You can be sure there will be something said tonight. Can’t wait! Love the hockey drama.

And HNIC staff said nothing on the replay. Heals was gonna say something about the embellishment, but it’s like the producer tells him shhhhhh, too funny :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

23. punkster says:

Gotta tell ya, the clowns on here making fun of Gionta crying are just, well, clowns.

Grow up clowns.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

24. ooder says:

we had a great season with a lot of bright spots.
    unfortunately all our injuries piled on at the worst possible moment, that mixed with some underachieving (i.e. Ryder, DD, Gorges, Diaz, Price, Pleks) players is what got us to this point.
    Overall I really like the team concept and team game. We are fast, aggressive and hard to contain. A few tweaks and some luck and we are not far away from being a very very good team.

• gumper says:

Add in one or two budding rookies (Tinordi, Bealieu) and perhaps one or two key FA signings………and Bob’s yer uncle.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• 100HABS says:

Ryder did what he was supposed to do. Pleks has been playing very well, just didn’t have the wingers. Gorges and Diaz were overrated (Sorry Boone, I always thought Gorges was good for Penalty kill, but not much else).
      Price did not do well since the stinker in Leaf-land.
      DD was a disappointment.

• ooder says:

I mean specifically during the playoffs Ryder has gone completely cold. Not really shooting the puck or generating much offense.
        I think Pleks has been great defensively but offensively he failed the task. Unless of course the coaches tell him not to worry about offense.

• Phil C says:

I suspect that many of the underachievers will turn out to also be injured. Unfortunate timing for team that was healthy all season.

25. habs1992 says:

I wonder how the whole crying in his arms went down. I wonder if Gionta started crying, or did Michael say give me hug Gio, and then he started crying. Im sure he was not bawling, just a few tears lol

I support Carey Price

26. jedimyrmidon says:

I wonder if Therrien just misphrased the crying in his arms part…

27. zorro says:

Habs have to get bigger.
    There is no possible way we can compete for the cup with this current roster. The kid’s are demonstrating that they have a great future on the team, no problem. Some of our veteran’s will have to be sacrificed for size. Yes big player’s. The Habs have been too small for too long. Its no secret around the league that the Habs can be pushed around. You may argue that we’ve been successful with smaller player’s this season, true, but it was a shortened season, we fell apart at the 40 game mark (half a full regular season), too beat up to be competitive, and now against the Sens, players are dropping like fly’s. Habs are losing all the battles along the boards and in all 4 corners. Its asking too much out of our current roster to give second and third effort’s each game, it ends up costing injuries. I couldn’t imagine these guys going 4 rounds. With Ottawa, Toronto and Boston in our division MB has no choice but to start drafting players over 6′ and 200 lbs. This organization and its fans are way too proud to be getting humiliated in Ottawa or worse in our own barn. Lets get competative,SIZE MATTER’S LET’S GET BIGGER.

28. habs1992 says:

LOL what a joke, see the call the leafs just got, lol what a joke. Chara lifts his stick up, penatly lol

I support Carey Price

29. habs12 says:

wow i hate the leafs but man do i hate the bruins on another level.

30. Bill says:

Dont make fun of the captain, if the Habs go out in five games I might need a good cry in Therrien’s arms myself.

31. H.Upmann says:

really they should make visors mandatory

32. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Was this so-called apology by the league made behind the scenes or pubicly? If it was only in private, then it is BS as far as I am concerned. There is clearly no deterrent for refs/linesmen to make mistakes. Show some class and admit your mistake to the public. The apology means nothing if it isn’t public…

33. habs1992 says:

So I watched Coach’s Corner tonight and for some reason I just started crying, I could not help it.

I support Carey Price

34. Sportfan says:

Was he actually crying in his arms? If so that’s someone who really cares and is disappointed he can’t help, I respect Gio even more now.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. Bozo McBozo says:

Look, none of us thought the team would win a Cup this year, so let’s focus on the zits it uncovered. One, size matters and we need it in order to win. Small, speedy guys can do damage on an Olympic-sized sheet in the regular season, but can’t on an 85′ X 200″ one in the playoffs. Ask Dick Umile at UNH about that one! Second, the Habs have too many forwards that can’t win a draw for love or money. Are the above undersized? Yes, see first point. Third, they have too many undersized defensemen that are soft as baby dump when it matters. With the exception of PK’s flying bum, what scares even a pickup player about the Habs D? Finally, CP would be a great goalie like Dryden with The Big Three in front of him, but those guys are memories now. We need the #29 from 1971-73 to be successful with this roster.

• ebk says:

@ Brian I disagree to a point. Montreal hasn’t lost a game yet were size matter, in my opinion.

That being said, I see Bergevin targeting size in the coming years but size that also brings along a good skill set. This team is lethal in transition and getting bigger just to get bigger will be a mistake. Third liners like Prust, Bickell, Rafi Torres, to a lesser extent, Victor Stalberg are the types I see him getting.

36. careysubban3176 says:

I’m thinking there’s more to Gionta injury than what’s being put out there. It doesn’t make any sense for Therrien to tell the media that Gionta cried in his arms if he’ll be ready for next season. Either this will end his career or management told him that if he needed surgury they will trade him or use the buyout on him instead.

• H.Upmann says:

I think it may be more of the career jeopardizing thing…

• habs1992 says:

LOL really, I think it means none of that, It means he not compete with his teammates and try to win a cup. That is all it means, It shows much Gionta loves the game and loves this team.

I support Carey Price

• careysubban3176 says:

Now c’mon habs1992. There’s a lot worse things to cry about than being injured for the rest of the year. You don’t see Prust or White crying or Emelin crying when he was knocked out for the remainder of the year. If what you said is indeed the case he just needs to suck it up. Heck look at what Markov had to go through and his injury was a lot worse than his just for the fact of all that rehab he had to go through.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• habs1992 says:

Every1 is different, it has happened 2 years in a row to him, he knows you only get so many more years at winning the cup. Just my 2 cents could be completly wrong lol.

I support Carey Price

37. ProHabs says:

Unfortunately, this Habs team is really beaten up. Lots of injured players out of the lineup and many others playing hurt. Even if they get by the Sens, would there be enough in the tank for another round let alone another 3 rounds.

It all comes back to the size of the team. There is so much hitting in the playoffs that our players can’t handle it over the long run. We don’t have players to inflict pain on the other team and have them play hurt during a series like other teams can do to our boys.

It has been a fun regular season and the team has made it enjoyable to watch the Habs play hockey again. But this team needs to come back in September with bigger bodies and some nastiness to replace Gionta, Desharnais, Ryder, Gorges, Diaz and Armstrong.

• Phil C says:

Except it is not the small players that are injured. The Habs are especially small on D, yet all 6 are still playing. Not sure you can attribute the injuries to size. Small players are especially good at protecting themselves on the ice, otherwise they would not last.

38. Ton says:

budaj gets the start………lol that was funny!

39. EricInStL says:

PJ’s tie is almost as wide as his head…..

40. Mark C says:

Neon Dion is so overrated. No hands and bad decision making.

41. EricInStL says:

Boston has way too many weapons, Toronto will try to make it close, but ultimately Boston will prevail.

42. FlyAngler says:

OMG another penalty on Campbell!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

43. Ton says:

what was said on coaches corner regarding a league apology! Did i overhear something.

44. The Jackal says:

WOW!
    They are calling stuff against Campbell!!!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

45. fastfreddy says:

I’m sorry, I just don’t get it. What is so good about Desharnais that warrants more time than Galchenyuk or Gallagher, or Pleks even? MB is going to realize he made a mistake signing DD for that long a time. 4 more years, MB better pray DD starts playing like he’s being paid or fans will be upset.
    CH = Les Glorieux!!!

46. Mark C says:

We need size and toughness, players like Colton Orr!

47. FlyAngler says:

Pretty weak call on Orr. I would have my forearm and elbow up too if that effing gorilla was coming at me.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

48. johnnylarue says:

I swear guys, it’s not a healthy thing, but watching the Leafs lose is almost as much fun as a Habs win.

It just feels… right. ;)

49. Ton says:

Oh lord crying now!!! Whats everyone been drinking? I need a stiff drink! ………my top 10 hab crying moments are>

1. Yesterday night…..I wept
    2. Calgary 1989…….I cried
    3. Rangers 1974………..I cried
    4. 1983 guy retired..I cried
    5. Chicago 10-0 1970….. I cried
    6. Ken Dryden quit 1974………I cried
    7. Minnesota 1980 I cried
    8. Edmonton 1981 I cried
    9. Quebec 1982 I cried
    10. Buffalo 1975

50. The Jackal says:

Leafs blow 2 goal lead!
    LOL!!!!

Wait… is that funny? It’s comforting at least.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

51. The Jackal says:

Someone on HNIC just said that Grabovski was playing ok these playoffs, then another guy said he looks rested because he took the year off haha.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

52. FlyAngler says:

Francois St. Laurent just called a penalty on Gregory Campbell……obviously he did not get the memo.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

53. frontenac1 says:

Pffftt! Leafs/Bruins. AHL Pussies!!

54. Blade says:

Also…quit it with the emotional crying stuff. He is gone for the rest of the year and that sucks….but get mad.

55. Blade says:

Grapes all over the refs from last night’s game for not having the face off on the proper side of the ice. Not sure it really mattered on that play, but nice to hear anyway.

• showey47 says:

It matters big time,its all about matchups and faceoff percentages from either side of the defensive zone. Certain centers are sent out to take draws from either side of the ice. Ottawa having last change didn’t help things.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

That was by far the worst thing the refs did last night. It should have been an easily corrected mistake. Peel clearly did not give a damn. Therrien would not have put a left handed centerman out there with a right side draw. They clearly screwed the Habs on that play. I’m really surprised Therrien did not call them out on that play in the press conference. Was the NHL really going to fine him for that blatant mistake?

56. joedacrabb33 says:

The Laffs will lose tonight hahahaha. The only laff I do like is Reimer, stand up guy. Dont think that guys been mad once in his life.

SUBBAN > everything

57. habsfan0 says:

Laffs haven’t beat Boston on home ice in a Stanley Cup playoff game since 1959.
    Despite the score,streak won’t end tonight.

58. Danno says:

Leafs score. Chara’s fault

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

59. Strummer says:

The irony of this is hockey players have no need for over-developed biceps.
    They only use for strong biceps would be pulling someone toward you in a fight- not Gionta’s forte

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

60. joedacrabb33 says:

DD is also playing like complete sh*t. He is a great playmaker and passer, but is just not fitted to play in the playoffs. Hes getting tossed around out there and looks like he is terrified of being hit. How he got more ice-time the chuck is just ridiculous. Not a playoff guy, and dont even get me started on moen.

SUBBAN > everything

61. KenD29 says:

and when the season is all done, we will probably hear that Pax and Prust will need surgery.

All About Work Ethic

• Hobie Hansen says:

Guaranteed. When the Habs were flying early in the season I believe they were pretty much 100% healthy. The last several seasons Montreal has had anywhere from two to four key players injured when the playoffs roll around. Is it bad luck or what?

****************
      “It’s frightening to contemplate how this undersized team would fare in a seven-game series against St. Louis, L.A. or Chicago..”

–Mike Boone

62. Danno says:

That Peter Budaj is a funny guy!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

63. jrshabs1 says:

When he heard the news, our captain was crying in my arms,” Therrien said.
    That is wrong on so many levels..no wonder the Habs can’t get a call from the refs. I don’t want want to sound insensitive but that quote would not have come from any other team. I’m starting to not like this kinder gentler version of MT. Is it possible to change some of these tears into anger..anger towards the sens for instance. There’s no crying hockey.

Go Habs Go!!

• Strummer says:

I can understand MT trying to use anything to motivate his squad for the next match but please!
      Too much information!
      But that’s the problem with too many media outlets on a 24 hour news cycle

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

64. NightRyder says:

‘Cause he’s so small he can be cradled in the coach’s arms…

65. projectpete19 says:

First therien almost crying at the news conf about Eller now our captain crying in my arms???? When was it okay for the Habs to be little crybabies?

66. joedacrabb33 says:

Im betting that Bergevin is really regretting the decision of standing pat at the deadline. Should have added some size. He has some work to do in the offseason, he needs to add some size to this team big time. Looking at some upcoming UFA, I think they should take a shot on Clowe and try to unload Moen, game 4 was the first time i’ve noticed him in months.
    SUBBAN > everything

67. JaggerHope says:

Hey, can you guys help a fellow Habs fan out and do me a huge favor?
    I’m currently in a film competition, and I’m under the Young Image Makers tab and I’m the first video down from the top left! Thanks for all your help!

68. ths says:

Great! Now is the time to audition the young guys (over 6 feet) and give them experience with whatever time is left. Put the ‘C’ on PK too.

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

69. Propwash says:

The NHL is turning into FIFA

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

70. TheDagger says:

Reposted:
    Man, Jack Todd nailed that article on Subban. I’m as huge a fan of anybody when it comes to Subban. The kid’s skills are insane, and they are just being realized. He has the passion to win and succeed like few in the league. Not succeed as an individual, but as part of the team. I wish everyone on the Habs wanted to excel like PK. All indications from anyone that has had the opportunity to meet him shows he is a genuinely nice guy that has an infectious love for life. Sadly, many of those that hate him don’t even know why they hate him or why they boo him, other than they have heard some stuff from their king rednecks that are given TV time. Accusing people of being racist is a serious thing, big or little, but I can’t help but think that a large amount of the dislike towards him has racially based, whether they realize it or not. Sad. But PK being the guy he is just continues to go about his job and his life in a way that these haters should try out. Black, white, purple… I don’t care, I love guy and want him on the Habs for a long, long time.
    *Maybe not purple, that might be a serious medical issue.

• Maritime Ron says:

Oh please!
      This is 2013 and 1947.
      PK Subban is not Jackie Robinson.

Your race baiting is way off base!

PK is a great player and when folks in other arenas boo, it is a sign of respect for a great player – not because he is black.
      PK is loved in Montreal and when he is called out, it has nothing to do with race and everything to do with play/behavior….reason being is that we all know and recognise his superior talent and physical skills that get blurred by his energy.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

It has nothing to do with race? I could write a long reply but you know what? You´re just wrong.

• ebk says:

absolutely! Long line of players who play like PK, don’t remember a single one gettting called for the BS they talk about regarding him

• Chris says:

I actually don’t think it has much to do with race, and everything to do with his personality. I watched Subban play a lot in the OHL…you’ve got to see the kid up close and personal to see how much he drives other people absolutely bonkers. The only player I can compare him to in the OHL is Corey Perry in terms of talent and overall aggravation ability for the other team. Alternatively, take Esa Tikkanen and make him an elite NHL player instead of a role player/pest. That’s Subban.

And like Subban, Perry is a lightning rod but couldn’t care less. He just goes about his thing and dominates.

That being said, a lot of the stars in the OHL seemed to genuinely like P.K. He and Tavares are known to be tight, and he got along with a lot of the other guys. He would be yapping in their ear constantly, spearing them in the gut and then would laugh when they ran him in the corners. It was entertaining as anything to watch, and a real eye-opener as to just how dirty hockey players can be when the referees weren’t looking. :)

• TheDagger says:

No it isn’t 1947, but to suggest there isn’t racism in 2013 is a ridiculous and ignorant.

71. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Forth, go, Habs!

72. Danno says:

Third!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

73. Hobie Hansen says:

Brian Gionta has one hell of a heart, nobody has ever questioned that. Unfortunately this team is in desperate need of a couple more players just like him but six inches taller and 30lbs heavier.

His contract is up following next season and since we’ve already got two smaller forwards in Deshanais and Gallagher, Gionta will be thanked for his services and either traded at the deadline or given his walking papers next summer.

Too bad we’re unable to keep him and send Desharnais packing instead.

****************

–Mike Boone

74. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I thought only pro wrestlers and football players tore their biceps…

• HabfaninTO says:

Bad calls aside,the fact is Habs still should have won.
      Unfortunately our coach learned little from a very similar scenario in a crucial game against the Canes in 2002.
      Fact is he didn’t have two centers on the ice again!… and had some of the nights and series worst performers on at crunch time.
      His reluctance to play Galchenyuk is ludicrous what is the kid learning on the bench how to watch coasters lose.
      The kid gives his all every shift.
      I would much rather see him trying his guts out and lose a game than the lame over paid passengers that clearly don’t want to pay the price.
      The Habs have a long way to go to be considered a contender but the game plan and the game decisions are more to blame for the predicament the Habs are in than bad calls and bad breaks.

• ABHabsfan says:

I’ve seen it in rugby a couple times and once before in hockey. Never heard of it happening twice to anyone. Unbelievable.
      I think MT should have kept the crying bit to himself.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• citizenSanto says:

just testing:

Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo