What, still no hockey?

A 1930s Imperial Oil-sponsored 3 Star minor hockey team. The company’s sponsorship would give birth to the NHL three-star selections in 1936-37.
© Imperial Oil

The Canadiens are back from their early-season vacation this morning.

They’ll practice in Brossard, preparing for New Jersey‘s Thursday evening visit to the Bell Centre.

• Dave Stubbs on Three Star voting

A rare easy week for the Canadiens

• We’re number 11! Up from 19 in ESPN Power Rankings

Hilarious Kovy video

• The Shane Doan hit

OgaxOAGcM6w

Larry Carriere talks to Ron Fournier

• Mathias Brunet on oddities of the draft

Robert Mayer in Hamilton

Ken Holland’s OT proposal

1. TomNickle says:

Winning the division is paramount.

Performing well against the division is essential to doing that.

I like our chances this season.  Boston is our only real competition in my opinion.

2. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday, looking into getting tickets to go see the game there, as a matter of fact.

Bit of a road-trip.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. SeriousFan09 says:

I thought I should point something out from last season, if Boucher’s TBL are the reason this season we are ejected from the playoffs it will be because simply, we failed to do what we need to do, beat the division.

We’re playing Boston, Toronto, Buffalo and Ottawa 24 times this season. We’ve played TOR, BUF and OTT so far and gotten 4 points of a possible 6, not bad so far. However last season, nearly half of our division wins came from our 5-1-0 season pasting of the Bruins with their weak offence that had Marco Sturm as their leader in goals.

Last Season:

3-1-2 record against Toronto, Montreal got 8 points but gave up 9 because all wins came from OT as well.

5-1-0 against Boston, Montreal took 10 points, giving up 4 points, two from OT games.

1-4-1 against Ottawa, Montreal took 3 points, gave up 10 to Ottawa.

2-3-1 against Buffalo, Montreal took 5 points, gave up 9 to Buffalo including an OT point from 1 of their wins.

26 points of a possible 48 and 10 of them from knocking Boston and hey, I enjoy watching the Ruins suffer as much as the next Habs fans but can we count on beating them 5 for 6 on the season? No.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. habs365 says:

Two more sleeps Habs return

support cancer  24/7 365

5. fbkj says:

yeah but i somehow doubt bolts fans invade nassau like we do ;)

6. riazp says:

LOL i just went on their site and its the main banner! reaks of desperation…they should welcome us with open arms, who the hell is crazy enough to buy tickets to watch hockey in that dump in long island?? HABS FANS THATS WHO!! seriously it is absolutly the worst place i’ve ever watched a pro game.

7. TomNickle says:

That’s odd considering their next game is against the Lightning.

8. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I’m a girl, here are your answers :)

1. Pouliot. He just needs to get one in, and his rut will be over. He has very fast hands, more so then Moen, Pyatt, etc.. etc…

2. Spacek..what’s his deal??!!

3. Kostitsyn

4. Cammellari…I bet he’s fun to hang out with and would tell a few good stories.

5. Well, I am married to a woman, so I will answer the question as asked to the men. She would most like to meet Subban, and I wouldn’t be jealous at all :)

——————————————————-

9. Say Ash says:

Let us remember that Gainey wanted AK27 to stay, too. Were it not for a certain agent, we would not have Captain Gionta. I haven’t seen many Kovalev vigils of late. Dumb luck, eh Gainey?

10. riazp says:

so whate the over/under on the number of skaters the devils bring? 18?

11. TomNickle says:

Good stuff.

12. madcap_habsfan says:

This is slightly off topic but kind of funny too, I clicked on the Islanders website because i wanted to see a picture of DePietro’s pink pads and what was i greeted with?? A picture of three Habs fans with an orange circle with a line through it that says” No Habs No ! show the Canadiens that this is Islanders country” written underneath it

made me laugh a little bit this morning

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Down Goes Brown breaks down your average hockey broadcast.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. Rudy says:

As opposed to the Panthers website that is encouraging Habs fans (in french) to come on down for the Dec 31st game. I’m thinking of a Road Trip for New Years Eve.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

15. habs03 says:

In his first game back Kovy was treated well, I think he was one of the 3 stars and got a lot cheers, thats enough, he plays for a different team now, so boo him all day. Funny thing about Kovy is when coming of a season where he had 18 goals 2006 I believe, everyone wanted him gone, and with only good season in his 4+ years here he had people going on strike to have him back that big summer. I was a big Kovy fan and he did come to play in the playoffs but when a vet is told to stay away from the team in the middle of a playoff push, you know there is something wrong.

16. Rudy says:

When the Senators were here in DC last week the fans here make this weird “Woo Woo” sound whenever Gonchar touches the puck, makes no sense to me!

17. sholi2000.com says:

;)

They Call Me Shane

18. Mattyleg says:

Because people are stupid.

Plain and simple.

I’m getting tired of boozed-up idiots going to the game just so they can boo something.

Kovalev was very very popular when he was here, and received a standing-O when he played his first game back.

He’s still giving money to numerous organizations here, and still loves the city and the imbeciles (who are picking the 3 stars, no less!) are booing him.

It’s depressing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

SUMMIT UPDATE FOR SAT. NOV. 6th 10:30am be early.

Catherine Richard, the ROCKETS granddaughter is organizing the tour for us.

Here are our special HIO prices for the New this Year Hall of Fame tour.

Adults—-$8

Children–$5

Seniors—$5

Here are our special group prices for the Bell Center and the Hall of Fame tour.

Adults —–$13

Children—-$10

Seniors—–$10

20. fbkj says:

well wed certainly still have halak :P

21. fbkj says:

regardless if you liked kovalev or not, he has a connection to the city, so, we boo… just cuz

22. B says:

Pouliot has 2 goal in his last 38 games and 3 goals in his last 40 games.

Gomez has 3 goals in his last 39 games.

23. 123456 says:

QUESTION: let us remember that when gainy blew the team up a lot of people, and certainly a lot of HIO posters, wanted AK27 to stay and koivu and others to be gone. Having said that, why was Kovy boo’ed when he touch the puck during the Sens game? Was it just that he can be good and it’s a natural reaction to boo a former player who chose FA? Was there something I missed? While I was not sad to see him go I would never boo a player who selected FA as a way to move to another team. Just curious.

24. sholi2000.com says:

I can’t imagine where this team would be right now if that deal was made.

Thanks The Hockey Gods that we picked tails!

They Call Me Shane

25. RGM says:

And let’s face it, with those two nitwits that owned the team before Vinik, there was a lot of gross mismanagement going on in Tampa. When they have to ask Gary Bettman to flip a coin to decide whether they’ll trade Vinny Lecavalier for Carey Price, Josh Gorges, and Tomas Plekanec, you know it’s weirdo-ville.

26. Mattyleg says:

Just a quick note about TB, for all the people foaming at the mouth over them:

Every team that plays like shee-it for as long as TB did eventually gets significantly better because of the great players that are thrown their way in the idiotically-organized NHL draft. I know that it takes a team, and not just one player, but come on, it takes a whole lot of mismanagement to get that good.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. Mattyleg says:

Ha, that Kovy vid was funny. Too long, but some good lines.

I like the ‘poke my stick around’ bit.

The Enigmatic Artiste.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. LA Loyalist says:

Who needs coffee when we have HIO?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

well… technically it was Huet who did that… that was some stellar goaltending that game.

30. HABdriven says:

Ok SD, here are my answers:

1.  Eller

2.  Pouliot

3.  AK46

4.  Cammy or Price

5.  Would most definitely go for it!

31. habs001 says:

if our 4 top forwards reach their max totals you mentioned and the other players also that is only 190 goals.. 30 from gion and plecks and 40 from camm and ak46 would be great but very unlikely all 4 will reach those numbers

32. Da Hema says:

Dave Stubbs: Can you answer a question please?

If fan selections are overturned, will they be informed? Would that be announced? Just curious.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

33. Da Hema says:

The “Loafalev” video dropped me. I loved when he “said” by not working on the ice he helps save the environment.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

34. Don Carnage says:

You got pwned !    espn style !

35. TomNickle says:

So 20-30 from Gionta and Plekanec.  25-40 from Cammalleri and Kostitsyn and 10+ goal seasons from Lapierre, Eller, Halpern, Gomez and Boyd won’t be enough?

There’s around 230 goals in that group alone.  Leaving out the rest of the team.

36. WarHero says:

1. Benny
    2. Spacek
    3. AK46
    4. Cammy
    5. Carey Price, no.

————————————————————————

37. shiram says:

Ya that captain America thing was a bit weird…
    After the super hero, i thought it was Randy Couture that had a “strangle-hold” on that name…

38. RGM says:

I saw the OT stuff – it’s a simple call to make. In that situation you never know whether the refs are looking for an easy call or not, so don’t give them the opportunity. You just can’t blatantly skate into a goalie when he’s in his crease. They brought that one on themselves.

39. ZepFan2 says:

Even if said autograph is somewhere on her body? lol

————————————————————————–

“The Soft Parade has now begun.
    Listen to the engines hum.”

40. RGM says:

Last paragraph = Bingo!

I could not care less about the Maple Leafs. They are not our competition, and have not been in a long time. Boston, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh – these are our three main rivals and they are the three teams I loathe the most. I love it when we beat the Bruins. I hate it when the Flyers take us out of the playoffs. I hate Pittsburgh every time we’re on the ice with them and I love seeing PK, Cammallerri, and of course Pricey stick it to them.

41. ZepFan2 says:

1) Pouliot

2) Spacek

3) AK

4) Probably G-Love.

5) Cammi. Hell yeah. I don’t have his money! ;)

————————————————————————–

“The Soft Parade has now begun.
    Listen to the engines hum.”

42. Mattyleg says:

Hmm, cool idea, not too hot on the American flag and the ‘Captain America’ thing. He’s Captain Canadiens.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Nah, doggy. I want it for the laffs to come to the last game of the season and Habs scoring a tie-breaker in the last 5 seconds to end their quest for making a playoff appearance.

Actually, come to think of it, I don’t really care what happens to laffs. I’d much rather Penguins didn’t make it. After watching Bettman’s golden boys whine and cry their way through the last couple of years they have become the most hated team for me.

44. habs001 says:

i know a lot more posters are convinced about pouliot than i am …he has now 2 goals in last 40 games and that has to be a concern…he has shown one scoring streak his nhl career that lasted 30 games but even some enforcer type players have had scoring streaks….i think he is no more than a 10 goal a season player and that would be fine if you are on a team that does not have another 4-5 players with even less scoring potential…if we are keeping pouliot for hitting than in the long run white can do a better job…we need more than 5-6 goal seasons out of pyatt,lapps,boyd,halpern,darche,moen if pouliot does not score otherwise we will need to pick up a scoring forward who can at least score 20 goals

45. SeriousFan09 says:

The second he started skating with the team everyone came out with their super-optimistic predictions (including Markov himself who wanted to play on Thursday) but I was pretty sure last weekend was an overly optimistic prediction, hate getting teased but even if he’s not here next week, looks like he’s back within the first 10 games of the year and that’s pretty damn good.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. sholi2000.com says:

1. Eller

2. PK (stat wise) I need more production for my hockey pool

3. Price

4. They’re just players, I have never said I have to meet this guy or that guy.  There are far more important things going on that I use hockey to distract me from the real world (wars!).  I was lucky enough to meet Carey, his dad Jerry, billets, and Pickards one night back in 07.  Have become friends with them ever since.

5.  My wife could care less about hockey, then again she’s from Manitoba, so no surprise.

They Call Me Shane

47. HFX-HabFan says:

1- Eller.  The next generation of the EGG Line!

2- Pouliot.  I wonder how long one “scorer” can be so snakebitten for.  And why does he fall down so much?!

3- Price or Kostitsyn.  Either way, it’s nice to have our own top ten picks playing up to their billing.

4- PK Subban played junior in my hometown and he’s an awesome personality.  We’d have a blast.

5- My wife and I aren’t the bar types, but we’re both huge fans of Josh Gorges, and I’d trust him.

48. avatar_58 says:

Cool

The link had been wrong for a week or so, I emailed them to get it fixed. I knew it looked sweet from the thumb :D

49. SmartDog says:

Ah… good point. It’s not just the time on site, it’s also the ENGAGEMENT!

Heading out shortly to get that magazine.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

50. C3P1 says:

no i totally agree, I just hate when reports surface that hes coming back against like ottawa last weekened and then it just keeps getting pushed back, and back

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

51. Rudy says:

We are Watching, just not answering questions :)

1. Eller

2. Spacek

3. Price

4. Gorges

5. I’m single, so any of the single guys on the team!

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Need that knee to be 100% before he goes back in, he’s a skating defencemen and needs to feel comfortable doing high-intensity stuff. He could still get back in for Saturday.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. SmartDog says:

HEY STATS GUY!!!

TEN ANSWERS to my 5 Questions below (not including mine) so far and TEN MEN.  No women.  You are NOT the Bobby Orr of Stats… more like the MAB of stats.  It’s not just the demographic data, it’s the frequencey and TOS.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

54. SlovakHab says:

1. Lars Eller. Good size and could develop fine with 2 vets.

2. Gionta. Pretty invisible so far.

3. It’s between Price and AK. Both are great. I kinda expected a bounce-back for Carey, but Andrei has really surprised me.

4. Scott Gomez. That would be a fun night out!

5. She likes nice guys, so probably Plekanec, Cammy or Eller. And yes, I would be.

55. helluva habs fan says:

I think we’re going to see more chintzy OT penalties this year in an attempt to reduce the number of games decided by shootout. Conspiracy!!  (har har)

56. C3P1 says:

Arpon Batsu reports that Markov will definitely not be in the lineup on thursday.  so much for a speedy return

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

57. forskis says:

It is amusing to see Leafs fans railing against the refs for last night’s game and accusing them of bias…it is almost like reading some of the postings on HI/O.

DId any of you watch the game last night?  I thought the no goal call on Versteeg was the right call…a great piece of hand-eye coordination, but he played it with a high-stick to get it to his feet and score, so no goal.  I missed the Tavares crease play.  However, the Lebda goalie interference penalty was chintzy and could have gone either way, sometimes it is called and sometimes it is not.  In any case, Lebda should not have risked it by skating unimpeded and bump the goalie, he had no defenders around him and just skated into him without even trying to get out of the way.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

58. Mattyleg says:

1. I’ll go out on a limb here and say Max Lapierre. He’ll tie people up  for Gomer’s set-ups and go to the net and make trouble for Gio’s shots. Think that’d be useful instead of another dangler.

2. Eller. Not that I’m disappointed in him, but that he is disappointed with himself, and was hoping to make more of an impact.

3. AK, without a doubt. That guy is on FIYAH!! Hope it holds up and that he doesn’t get injured, like the last two seasons…

4. Hal Gill. He’s around my age, and seems like a really good laugh.

5. Hmm, I think she said that Dustin Boyd was good-looking. I would be jealous because he’s a new guy and I don’t know him well enough yet to trust him with my g/f. ;-)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. SeriousFan09 says:

1. I’d say Eller, let him get his chance.

2. Spacek, shouldn’t bw this rusty this early.

3. Andrei Kostitsyn

4. Gomez, he’s a riot.

5. Unattached, so irrelevant question.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

60. bwoar says:

1. Pouliot.  Tough call since I don’t mind Moen there for grit.

2. Gionta, he’s invisible when not scoring.

3. Carey Price, thank you.

4. Hal Gill, he’s got stories.

5. Dunno, whoever the best-read and smartest one is.  Hell yeah, I’d be jealous.

61. avatar_58 says:

1 – Eller. I say ride the highs and lows and let him develop. It’s not like Pouliot is there yet.

2 – White :( I Wish he were on the team somehow, if it were possible

3 – Plekanec, he’s like a 20 year vet in a young man’s body. Smart passes, amazing moves and has adapted cammalleri’s “yeah that’s right, I just scored” attitude to boot

4 – PK! He just oozes fun. That or Price. Or Cammalleri. Wait how many choices do I get?

5 – I’m single :\

62. DearyLeary says:

1. Eller: He’s shown good hands, very strong skating, average passing, and an underrated shot. Pouliot is second on my pecking order as far as question 2 goes, so we’re left with very few options.

2. Picard: He’s bigger than Bergeron, doesn’t shoot the puck as well, but he’s just as unreliable in his own end.  PK has bailed him out a bunch of times in the past couple of games, and given the chances PK takes, that says something about the shakiness of Picard’s game.  I will say, however, that when Markov returns our top 6 D looks phenomenal.

3. Price: I’m a Price booster, always have been, got my Price jersey after he won the Calder Cup.  But even as a supporter I, like everyone else here, wondered how the start of the season was going to go (especially after the pre-season home opener fiasco).  He’s played solid hockey, many game savers, momentum changers, and has been an overall presence, something for the opposing team to actually think about.  The more time the other team worries about the opposin goaltender the better.

4. Gomez: With a contract like that, drinks have to be on him, and the guy’s hilarious.  Would be a good night out.

5: Not a Habs fan, I’m trying though…

That was in the day of 8 games per team within the division. Now it’s 6 games per team. Also the year the Habs owned the Bruins winning the Conference they also owned the Flyers in the regular season as well.

I do agree however that if a team blanks another team it within it’s own division it is very, very useful but I will still argue that the wins are needed elsewhere too. A team that has a winning record outside the division and destroys it’s opponents within the division is obviously going to win the division title. It all depends on how good the inter-divisional record is. If a team in the current set-up gets over 36 points (out of a possible 48) then I’d say yes very. Having it as close as it was last season didn’t affect who won the division title. I think it’s a matter of how much a team wins within their division but the bottom line is that the wins outside are just as important.

64. TomNickle says:

1. Pouliot, he looked like he was developing chemistry with Gomez early on.

2. O’Byrne.  It doesn’t look like he’s ever going to get it.  I hope I’m wrong.

3. Lars Eller.  He may have been held off the scoresheet so far but I think he’s shown that he’s going to be one hell of a player in the NHL.

4. Josh Gorges

5. Hal Gill.  I don’t know if I’d be jealous.

65. SmartDog says:

1. I agree with Pouliot.  I think Martin needs to show him patience.  Eller would be a 2nd choice.  I think he just needs confidence.

2. Gomez.  Gio at least had an awesome goal last game.

3. Price. AK a close 2nd.

4. Plekanec. Cammalleri or Markov close behind.

5. Gorges or Plekanec. I wouldn’t be jealous as long as she came home with an autograph for me.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

66. bwoar says:

Dunno, the crazy ex was more fun sometimes.  Public sex, drunken brawling, casual theft… without her, church is boring so now I just sleep in.  Then again my wife cooks breakfast, and helps raise our children.  It seemed like a lousy trade at the time but one couldn’t handle first line minutes and the other really blossomed.  Same coach, same team.  Attitude makes all the difference, doesn’t it?

Sincerely glad to see you’re riding a happier sail today Smarty!

67. helluva habs fan says:

1. Unless they get going, I wouldn’t leave ONE player with them… but for now I will go with Pyatt. Let BP work his way up.

2. Max Lapierre. I don’t think he’s been bad, I would just like to see more of the reckless abandonment that makes him successful. I think he’s got the talent and drive to be a consistant 20 goal scorer.

3. Tomas Plekanec. ‘Nuff said?

4. Josh Gorges, to tell him he’s the frickin’ man!

5. Cammy. She loves Cammy. I’m not jealous because I also love Cammy.

68. K-hab25 says:

1. Pouliot – 2. Gionta – 3. Kostitsyn – 4. Gill

69. Habsrule1 says:

1. Pouliot. i feel he’s getting close, and needs to be with good players.

2. Spacek. He’s looked pretty bad.

3. AK46 hands down.

4. Cammalleri. He just seems really fun and loves being a Hab.

5. My wife really likes PK, but I’d have to say Lapierre. He’s more her type, I think…!

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

70. Rugger says:

1. Benny, just needs 1-2 to go in.  He’s working and hitting hard

2. Auld, hasn’t made one save yet

3. Tie AK and Laps

4. Muller (yes, I know he is no longer a player)

5. She doesn’t like jocks (except certain Rugby players)

Winning the division is very important for conference standings without a doubt. The point I was making was that it appears the division last year was very close inter-divisionally and that the factor that carried the title were the games played outside the division. There is a definite changing of the final placing within the division if you adjust a few losses to wins inter-divisionally but to say that it will affect the outcome of who actually wins the division is in my view a stretch. My analysis shows me that to win the division it takes a winning record both in and outside the division. Having the best won/loss record in the inter-divisional games is not enough.

Maybe I should note that there is a distinction between winning the division title and having the best won/loss record in the inter-divisional games. They are two separate things. The point I was making is that the former is not neccesarily dependant on the latter. ;-)

72. JF says:

One of Ottawa’s problems is that the deals they’ve swung recently just haven’t worked.  When they traded Antoine Vermette for Pascal Leclaire, they thought they were getting a solid number one goaltender.  Instead, Leclaire’s been injured most of the time, and when he’s played, he’s been streaky.  He and Brian Elliott are about equal.  The Sens must be regretting that trade now, especially as they’ve got Robin Lehner, who looks as though he’ll be good, coming along.  Then there was the Kovalev signing, which really hasn’t helped them much.  And replacing Volchenkov with Gonchar took away their shot-blocker without so far having any impact on their powerplay.

73. Say Ash says:

Division games are huge. We finished top in the conference two years ago with 104 points, thanks to taking 16 points (SIXTEEN!) from the No. 8 Bruins, who finished with 94.

74. SmartDog says:

There’s hardly that much to talk about, but just to fight the boredome…

5 QUESTIONS:

1. If you had to pick ONE PLAYER and leave him with the G-G line until Christmas, who would that player be?

2. Which ONE PLAYER has had the most dissappointing start so far?

3. Which ONE PLAYER has had the most welcome good start so far?

4. Which ONE PLAYER would you most like to meet?

5. Men: which ONE PLAYER would your wife/girlfriend most like to meet in a bar?  Would you be jealous?  Women: … would you go for it?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

75. TomNickle says:

I think you’ve just made my point.  When Kessel slows down, their scoring should follow suit.

76. Slovak says:

I am sorry to say that but it seems like majority of people on this site cheer and act like idiots, when Halak loses. Halak VS Price fight is done and you still keep going on in the crap against Halak? Unbelieveable!

But you know what?

Life has a strange sense of giving you back all the negativity… so be prepared to eat what you deserve…

Fuc.ing greetings to Montreal.

77. JVF says:

And a good morning to you, too!

78. Puck Bard says:

PIss up a rope, Slovak.

79. Bill J says:

I am sorry to say, that your are crackers – since I’ve seen YOU cheer & act like an idiot when Price has had bad games (not this season, because REAL Habs fans know Price has been the best Hab on the ice for 5 straight games now)

Get a life & move on, your preference to the Habs was quite obviously linked to the departed goaltender.

80. Skotbot says:

Why so serious?

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

81. RGM says:

I wasn’t aware that Montreal Canadiens fans on a Montreal Canadiens fan site were obligated to cheer for the St. Louis Blues and their goaltender.

82. Psycho29 says:

I always supported Halak and Price…I don’t care who plays as long as the team wins.

Halak did great for us last season, but now he’s just a former Hab playing for another team, the same as Kovalev, Bouillon, Moore, Tanguay, etc.

Really…it’s time to move on…

83. Jbird says:

Halak has one thing going agianst him these days: he plays for the St Louis Snooze. I’m not a fan of the Snooze.  I’m really – get ready for it – a Habs fan.  I don’t mind when Halak loses and do hope he does not become the “next Dominator”

84. TomNickle says:

Carey Price has been the glue that’s kept this team together through training camp, pre-season and so far through the regular season.

The team has rallied around his leadership and they’re playing for him.

That’s what you sounded like for five months last season.   Just insert the name Halak where I had Price.  Kinda sickening isn’t it.

85. Storm Man says:

Slovak, I see you’ve set aside some special time to humiliate yourself in public again. I will let the other’s here finish you off today.

86. J.T. says:

I may be way off base here, but I think a lot of the apparent glee we see when Halak loses is because Habs fans are terrified he’ll become the next Hasek and the trade will turn out to be a terrible mistake.  As long as Halak doesn’t outshine Price, that won’t happen.  That’s just my pop psychology, for what it’s worth.

87. Mike Boone says:

You make a good point. I’m going to delete the item.

88. LA Loyalist says:

well you win the prize potato for being 100% right.

There are a lot of posters over-invested in PriceBot(tm) fan merchandise and they don’t want the bottom to fall out of their lunch boxes.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s playing great and I was one of his huge critics, but one robin doesn’t make a summer. Let’s see how we are looking in March.

“our management has the strategic foresight of a box of stale TimBits(tm)”

89. TomNickle says:

I can’t speak for others here.  But I take pleasure when his team loses because there were endless doomsday prophecies on this site the day he was traded.  He was a hero, Price was a villain.  And the people who actually believed in Carey Price were in a vast minority.

Halak’s been made out to be something that he’s not, a hero.

I’ve seen people go to such lengths that they’ve said Price suffers from depression and is a drug and alcohol abuser.  So the flip side of this coin is that people who took joy in Price failing went to even greater lengths to attack his character and must be equally frightened that he will become everything he was touted to be.

Carey Price should get the start against New Jersey on Thursday. He’s coming off four days rest and we need to continue to rack up points against our foes who will be battling us for a playoff spot. What about Alex Auld? He’s strictly a back-up in the truest sense of the word. I expect Price to play in 70 games this year while Auld gets a few games on western swings and back-to-back nights. A well planned hiatus for Price during the dog days of February might also prove beneficial so that he is fresh and ready to handle a long playoff run.

New Jersey is off a to a slow start. They are 1-4 and have lost all four home games. Their last two home games have been played to crowds that are well under capacity (from 4000 to 5000 seats). The Devils were beaten handily by Washington, Pittsburgh and Boston – teams that New Jersey hopes to battle for 1st place in the Eastern Conference.

Martin Brodeur is now 38 and can no longer carry a full work load. The Devils have not been able to develop any young goalie prospects so they went out and signed Johan Hedberg (my choice for Montreal instead of Auld. He cost more but then you get what you pay for) He is a quality back-up who can also carry the load for a short period of time. Brodeur’s stats are not impressive after starting all 6 games (1-4-1/3.18/.887)

Jason Arnott, Jason Langenbrunner and Kelly Clarkson are all -6 so far this year. Zach Parise, the real star of this team, only has two points in 6 games. Kovalchuk has 5 points so far. This is a veteran laden team that is built to win now so it’s best for Montreal to strike early while the Devils are struggling.

Injuries have forced New Jersey to promote two 19 year old prospects. Alex Urbom, is a tall, Swedish defenseman who is being fast tracked. He is Jersey’s version of Jarred Tinordi. Jacob Josefson, is another Swedish prospect who plays centre. He was in the mix (along with the Rangers’ Chris Kreider) when Montreal selected Louis Leblanc as their 1st overall pick in the 2009 draft. There are also a few cheap no-name players getting ice time in order to stay under the cap. Matt Taormino, Rod Pelley and Tim Sestito are a few examples. As well, the Devils signed journeyman centre, Adam Mair, last week. New Jersey has also been sending down waiver free players (such as Urbom) to the AHL on off days in order to save coin.

Despite signing the big fish, you really have to wonder if Lamoriello has started to hit the wall with this franchise. The cost of signing Kovalchuk may be way higher than anyone ever anticipated.

91. LA Loyalist says:

Mr. Cups – seeing as you have been tracking the Devils – WHY is there attendance so poor? Is it the bad economy?

I have to think the Kovalchuk signing had to be a play to boost attendance, such an exciting player.

But you’d think NJ would have a more solid fan base by now, with their steady success, no?

What is your analysis?

92. HabsFanInTampa says:

I went to the game last night between the Lightning (3-1) and the previously unbeaten (4-0) Dallas Stars. I bought great seats for half the regular price from a “ticket Agent” outside the Forum. Even without Vinny in the lineup nursing a knuckle injury, the product on the ice that Vinik-Yzerman-Boucher have pieced together, is a definite improvement over last couple of years and very exciting to watch. I am dumbfounded as to why we let Forward Dominic Moore go! This former Hab (it hurts to type that), scored two goals last night and seems to be improving with every game he plays. He signed for two years down here for what I believe is less than what we signed Forward Benoit Pouliot for.

93. SmartDog says:

Boucher, Moore, both really valuable guys.

Habs management is arrogant.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

94. Skotbot says:

I was at the Habs home opener, and thought the same, however I wasnt AS impressed as the rabid Guy Boucher supporters are.

Yes they are icing a better team then they have in the past, however from what I saw (at that game) they will still be fighting for a spot somewhere in 6-10.

I agree with you on Dominic Moore. and I think the habs organization enjoyed him as well, however it came down to a cap decision.

Speaking of cap decisions, to mirror what alot of posters have been saying, Ryan White made a great case through the pre-season. And I think that the Habs were not expecting as much, hence the signing of 2 pluggers (Halpern & Boyd) As much as halpern has shown in the first 5 games, Im not sure he would have been picked up if people were expecting White to perform as well as he did.

now dont get me wrong, Halpern brings alot to this team, starting with Faceoffs. this is just speculative thinking.

AK46 has been playing well, yes. and it all starts with his determination. seconds before his go-ahead goal vs Tampa in the Opener, he layed a heavy body check in our zone. It seems that everytime this kid decides to use his body, and WANT the puck, he performs like a real top 10 pick.

Gorges, Pleks & Laps have all looked in top form as well.

Lars Eller shows potential, and when hes on his game, he looks good. Im excited to see what the full year will bring him.

Anyways…

95. LA Loyalist says:

I also would have found a way to keep Moore. Proof that they know they should have kept Moore was signing Halpern (and don’t post that Halpern was cheap – he’s older and has had bad injuries – and yes he’s played great, but I still would have kept Moore).

Guys that have an extra gear in the playoffs don’t grow on freaking trees.

“Our management have the strategic foresight of a box of stale TimBits(tm)”

96. 123456 says:

let us not forget TB is lead by stamkos – he is fantastic and the current coach had nothgin to do with selecting him. moore i do not get – he came to the habs – was juist average at best and then had a great playoff…the thing is… why have SO MANY teams let him go?? there must be more to it than we know. and TB collectively is a huge minus, this will catch up with them. i’m not saying they are a bad team – but really the verdict is not in on hoe breach a coach they got.

97. habsguy says:

why is that when you anytime Moores name is mentioned it’s always followed with “Formerly with”

98. TomNickle says:

I respect that Boucher will allow Tampa’s skilled players to the freedom to score and that their powerplay will be similar to what ours has been over the years.

That said, they just don’t have the horses to be an impact team.  They don’t have an NHL defense group and their goaltending isn’t good enough to win over the long haul.

Coming within an eyelash of blowing a three goal lead in thirteen minutes at home is an indication of the kind of season it’s going to be for them.  When they fail to score four goals in a hockey game, they will lose more often than win.

Once Yzerman has had a chance to give Boucher a full compliment of NHL players, then you can get excited about that franchise and the prospect of immediate success.

The Devilution of Martin Brodeur.

In Lou We Trust, the Devils’ fan website.

100. avatar_58 says:

Am I a bad person for enjoying this?

101. SmartDog says:

What kills me about the Shane Doan hit is that it’s so obvious he’s head-hunting and that it USED to be such a common play… but it took a team of NHL geniuses YEARS to say “hey – that’s something we shouldn’t allow”.  Because the guy didn’t get carried off in a stretcher, some people seem to wonder what the harm was. Ridonculous.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

102. pic1983 says:

I agree.

The unfortunate thing is that there are still people who look at both of shane doan’s hits from that game and say “whats the problem? that’s clean.”  I’m sorry, but there is nothing clean about hitting a guy from behind into the boards, and nothing clean about blindsiding a guy who long got rid of the puck.

The only shame is that doan only got 3 games for both those ugly hits.  I think he should have gotten a minimum 5 games.  Good on the NHL though for suspending Doan even though sexton wasn’t injured.

103. punkster says:

You get 2 Milkbones for this SD. The large ones :)

104. Mattyleg says:

In a related vein, look at the NFL (not a football fan myself, but I see the highlights) this past week: tons of head-on-head collisions, and two with the same player. The NFL are ‘reviewing’ the matter, but this has been going on for a while, and it’s only being looked at now because two guys were carried off the field on the same play.

When you see guys like Tony Proudfoot (ex-Als, now suffering from Lou Gehrig’s Disease) who played hard and is now suffering for it, it makes you realize that things need to change in ALL sports.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

105. habsguy says:

How big of a star would Scott Stevens be with the rules we now in place???

106. SeriousFan09 says:

Halpern and Boyd have been pretty useful guys to start this season and their combined salary is equal to that of Moore’s, I’d say Habs are out ahead on maximizing value for Bottom-6 assets.

All management teams are a bit arrogant, it comes with thinking you’re right about how you’re building your team.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

107. avatar_58 says:

Funny enough – take our extra money + don’t sign Darche or halpern and suddenly there’s enough for Moore AND Boyd. I don’t agree that Halpern is better.

108. SeriousFan09 says:

In a couple years I wonder how many people will be thinking about Moore being let go as some terrible injustice and not just another move in how teams choose to fill out their checking lines each season. Anyone here still upset about Smolinski?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Paul – The Habs are going with 13 forwards (right now) so even if they didn’t sign Darache and Halpern they would have to bring in another player, even if it was just for the league minimum (like Darche).  The only way to sign Moore would be by finding another $500000 somewhere else in the budget.

I don’t mean to pick scabs here, but what you are indirectly seeing is the impact of the Gomez deal.  We have two 1A centres but one of them is being paid like he is a true #1 pivot.  The difference is probably about 1.5-2M (between Gomez and a similar pivot).  That may not be enough to bring in another front line guy, but it would be available coin to upgrade on certain players (such as Halpern).  We will feel the impact of this contract for the next few years.  Having 18.3M tied up with three forwards who are not real stars (in terms of the overall NHL) does lead to some limitations.  The only real answer is to keep churning out (and recycling) decent kids on cheap contracts.  The other choice to to go shopping for bargain basement players in the early fall.

110. LA Loyalist says:

Halpern was a great steal at the price – but a risk due to age and previous injuries. Moore was more expensive but less of a risk.

I would have taken Moore based on what he did for us in the playoffs, but that’s just me. I care about the playoffs a lot more than I can about making sure we can cover Gomez’s check every month.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

111. LA Loyalist says:

I think your argument is spot on. The problem with the Gomez contract is the ongoing workaround is risky because there is little wiggle room to be wrong.

New Jersey may end up with a similar budget problem with Kovalchuk, but at least they can argue it was necessary to sell tickets.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

112. LA Loyalist says:

I posted earlier to light a candle at Notre Dame (and I’m not even Catholic) that Tampa Bay don’t knock us out of the playoffs on a goal by Domenic Moore.

“insert tagline here”

113. fbkj says:

i liked moore… but my gawd do you give him too much respect

114. TomNickle says:

Or another way to look at it is that the salary cap increases by $2 million annually.  So with each passing season the perceived long term hardship of that contract is nullified.

I understand that it’s money that could be spent elsewhere, but if Gomez’s worth $5 million annually, this shouldn’t be that big of an issue.  As a wealthy team, we’re finding $2 million in each season.

115. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs will likely miss the playoffs if they again only win 3 of 12 games against BUF and OTT like last season. We need to be minimum .500 against the Division and need to be better than that to win it, denying our opposition points from OT games and get regulation wins. Can’t count on knocking Boston for 5 of 6 like last season, winning 10 of 24 games in the NE last year nearly killed the playoff run.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

116. HabsFanInTampa says:

I agree with you. The Bolts will be battling for a playoff spot in the 7th or 8th spot. It’s alot better than finishing last and second to last in the standings from the previous two years.

117. Skotbot says:

No doubt that they have a better team, but a team that will finish in the top 4-5? as predicted by the many journalists in this city (montreal) seems to be a bit much. Though I do tend to lean on the skeptical side of the fence and think it has a lot to do with the bitterness of losing Boucher.

As long as they dont get in the Habs’ way though, I have nothing bad to say about them.

118. LA Loyalist says:

WE as in HABS are going to be battling for a 7th or 8th spot.

I wouldn’t plan the parade just yet.

“Our management has the strategic foresight of box of stale TimBits ™”

119. Skotbot says:

lol thanks. is this comment actually directed at me? cause I didn’t state anywhere that I thought differently…

120. Skotbot says:

Double post, just to make clear that I am confused by your comment. “WE as in HABS” “plan the parade”

I do not think I mentioned anywhere my predictions for the Habs, as all I did was state some personnal opinions on what I saw…

121. LA Loyalist says:

I thought your points were good and interesting. I’ve only had one coffee (it’s 6:30 here).

It was more a general comment that many of our posters love to plan the parade after any good news. Just saying that it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

What I like about Boucher is he is trying to change the game, not trying to force players to adapt to an old system.

Carbo could have been Boucher, that was probably the intention, but frantic line juggling is not, in fact, a system. And I adore Carbo, it broke my heart that team imploded.

Of course change is incremental and other teams will adjust to what Boucher is doing.

It would have been fun to watch here, that’s all. And light a candle at Notre Dame that TB doesn’t hand us our heads on a plate (with a goal by Domenic Moore) in April.

“To failing hands we tossed the torch”

122. TomNickle says:

Carbo made his share of mistakes and still has some growing up to do as a coach but the house cleaning that Bob Gainey did following Carbo’s last season should tell you a lot about the kind of mentality the room was in before Carbo’s departure.

We had a lot of players who were playing for themselves.  An inexperienced coach really shouldn’t be expected to know how to deal with that kind of locker room.  It’s a recipe for disaster.

123. Skotbot says:

Ah! thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were accusing me of being a blind believer.

Im just a blind supporter.

___HAB’S INSIDE OUT FAN SUMMIT UPDATE__

We now have many hundreds of dollars of donations being brought to The Gainey Foundation Raffle at the Baton Rouge pre game dinner. This is just a reminder to everyone to try to bring something along. And of coarse buy as many raffle tickets as you can at both Hurley,s and at the dinner.

This is our way of giving back to the community, and for a great Foundation for children.

Thanks for every one’s support.

SUMMIT ITINERARY

=——————-=

2010 HIO Fan Summit Itinerary Nov. 5th and 6th in Montreal

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Bob Gainey Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

Everyone is welcome, so see you all in Montreal.

Ian

125. Shiloh says:

Ian – is there still room? tickets to the game? What is the cost?

126. SmartDog says:

Good on the NHL though for suspending Doan even though sexton wasn’t injured.

I’m with that.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

127. 123456 says:

agreed – long standing complaint i have with the NHL is that the severity of injury often dictated the punishment. a hit to the head should be minimum 2 games, regardless of an injury resulting…. we are talking 2 games out of 82. 2 out of 82 is the equivalent of 1.5 quarters in an NFL game (and about the same as 4 games in MLB).

I think the NHL needs to hand out a lot more 2-3 game suspension to get the message out to impact behavior.

128. Shiloh says:

Hilarious Kovy video? What’s so hilarious about someone overdubbing nonsense?

It was quite funny. Much more entertaining than you over posting nonsense, but that’s just me.

130. SeriousFan09 says:

Some days, I miss Tom Kostopoulos, loved his energy in game.

Than I realise as useful a checker he was, he had stone hands and a bad habit of taking he fights he lost every single time and know he’s not a unique asset that can’t be replaced. Every bottom-6 player the Habs have is irreplaceable until he is replaced and nobody really remembers why he was so valuable.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

131. habsguy says:

ya,  and I miss chelios!!!!!

132. TomNickle says:

Halpern coming at almost half of the price is relevant.

Halpern’s playoff performances haven’t been below average or poor at all either.

133. habs-hampton says:

So they dealt with Doan, but what about Avery and his 2 two-handers on Komisarek? What happened with that incident?

134. RGM says:

Nothing. NHL announced that it wasn’t going to investigate the incident.

135. SeriousFan09 says:

Because they’ve been a boring as hell team to watch when they’re winning, they have trouble getting a full house during playoff runs. Sometimes success doesn’t mean a lot when no one can stand watching you play outside of the diehards.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Brad & Robert – Many people thought a new arena (Prudential Centre) would make a difference.  However, Newark is a depressed area in terms of the economy and the Devils struggle to fill their rink just like the Islanders do.  In fact, the Devils have always scratched and clawed to fill seats and stay afloat.  Contrast that to Manhattan’s Rangers who fill the rink on a regular basis regardless of the product (Sather never would have lasted this long in Jersey or Long Island).  The Rangers are basically the Habs and Leafs when it comes to attendance.

The Kovalchuk signing seemed to be spear-headed by ownership, not the management team.  They believe bringing in a star attraction would fill seats while also giving a veteran laden team one more run at the Cup.

There appear to be three types of NHL franchises.  Rock solid teams (Philly), teams with a soft underbelly (Columbus) and those that are walking a thin line as they struggle to survive (Florida, Atlanta, Phoenix).  I would put the Devils in the middle category.

Don, you are more than welcome to join us for every event. But you are on your own for game tickets. You can buy them on line, many places, look around on line or at the rink from scalpers.

138. 123456 says:

this is what i was going to do – but i need to get a new drivers license to get into canada and i have not yet done it – maybe next year.

There is no cost to any of our events, just show up and wear your team colours. Hall of Fame tour tickets you get from the Bell Center. Game tickets, you are on your own.

140. Slovak says:

Look I still think that the trade was mistake and it was unfair BUT I do not cheer, when Price loses game… On the other hand look through this site and you will see HOW people talk about Halak - former HAB as you say – it is digusting… I cheer for STL and I want to cheer for MTL also but this repeating crap is insane.

141. Psycho29 says:

He is a class guy, and I wish him good luck. (Except vs the Habs!)….

142. JIMVINNY says:

Feel free to cheer for STL.  No one’s stoppping you.  And don’t feel obligated to cheer for Montreal.  We all know you were just here for Halak.

143. TomNickle says:

It’s very unfortunate that Halak requested a trade twice and didn’t reprimand his agent for taunting the General Manager of the franchise and his teammate.

It’s counter productive to your attempted statement of fact that Halak is a hero and nothing but a good natured person who rises up in the face of adversity, it’s actually quite the opposite if you go by the information in front of us in the public.

144. Slovak says:

again and again and again

145. Slovak says:

again and again and again

146. TomNickle says:

Please.  You’ve made Jaro Halak out to be a superhero who by day saved the Habs and by night foiled the plans of criminals, terrorists and nursed injured children and animals back to health.

I’ve done nothing but bring up facts about Jaroslav Halak.

It seems that you don’t like seeing the truth about your hero.

Sorry.

147. Storm Man says:

I like your approach, Now let’s see your departure.

148. Slovak says:

It’s great to see some people does not need to be closed up in strange box. Thanks, I wish HABS good luck except with STL :)… but respect…

149. JIMVINNY says:

You are absolutely right.  It takes a lot more than 5, 25, or 50 games to know whether a goalie is truly going to be great.

See what I did there?

150. SmartDog says:

He wouldn’t.  The guy was a talented goon, but a goon nonetheless.  Most shameful day when the Hall of Fame let him in.  I don’t wish ill on anyone but the fact that he left with concussion problems has the ring of the tiniest bit of justice.  His own medicine.  Medicine that he doled out AGAIN and AGAIN while watching players lie on the ice unconscious. Scott Stevens should go down as an embarrassment to the NHL.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

151. Slovak says:

So what? It was true and now it can be true about Price…time will tell, where is the point? I don’t keep talking about Price everytime he makes bad move and I don’t repeat negative things from his past again and again and again…

152. TomNickle says:

Well, first of all, it was never true.

Not once did I hear a teammate of Halak’s in a Montreal uniform saying they were rallying around him.  Not once did I hear them say that he was the glue holding the team together.

Just because you think it doesn’t make it true.  I think Price will be a better goalie than Halak, that doesn’t make it true.

Halak requested a trade twice.  He did nothing when his agent publicly humiliated the Montreal organization.

Yeah, class guy.

Get in touch with reality.  He’s a hockey player, and is human.

The point here is that Halak’s gone.  If you want to go with him, nobody is holding you back.

Everybody else sees the good and the bad with players, coaches and management with the Habs.  But you only see the good in Halak.  See the difference?

153. Slovak says:

WOW you wrote 2 sentences… :)