What, still no hockey?

A 1930s Imperial Oil-sponsored 3 Star minor hockey team. The company’s sponsorship would give birth to the NHL three-star selections in 1936-37.
© Imperial Oil

The Canadiens are back from their early-season vacation this morning.

They’ll practice in Brossard, preparing for New Jersey‘s Thursday evening visit to the Bell Centre.

• Dave Stubbs on Three Star voting

A rare easy week for the Canadiens

• We’re number 11! Up from 19 in ESPN Power Rankings

Hilarious Kovy video

• The Shane Doan hit

Larry Carriere talks to Ron Fournier

• Mathias Brunet on oddities of the draft

Robert Mayer in Hamilton

Ken Holland’s OT proposal

1. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I’m a girl, here are your answers :)

1. Pouliot. He just needs to get one in, and his rut will be over. He has very fast hands, more so then Moen, Pyatt, etc.. etc…

2. Spacek..what’s his deal??!!

3. Kostitsyn

4. Cammellari…I bet he’s fun to hang out with and would tell a few good stories.

5. Well, I am married to a woman, so I will answer the question as asked to the men. She would most like to meet Subban, and I wouldn’t be jealous at all :)

2. B says:

Pouliot has 2 goal in his last 38 games and 3 goals in his last 40 games.

Gomez has 3 goals in his last 39 games.

well… technically it was Huet who did that… that was some stellar goaltending that game.

4. HABdriven says:

Ok SD, here are my answers:

1.  Eller

2.  Pouliot

3.  AK46

4.  Cammy or Price

5.  Would most definitely go for it!

5. habs001 says:

if our 4 top forwards reach their max totals you mentioned and the other players also that is only 190 goals.. 30 from gion and plecks and 40 from camm and ak46 would be great but very unlikely all 4 will reach those numbers

6. Da Hema says:

Dave Stubbs: Can you answer a question please?

If fan selections are overturned, will they be informed? Would that be announced? Just curious.

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

7. Da Hema says:

The “Loafalev” video dropped me. I loved when he “said” by not working on the ice he helps save the environment.

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

8. Don Carnage says:

You got pwned !    espn style !

9. TomNickle says:

So 20-30 from Gionta and Plekanec.  25-40 from Cammalleri and Kostitsyn and 10+ goal seasons from Lapierre, Eller, Halpern, Gomez and Boyd won’t be enough?

There’s around 230 goals in that group alone.  Leaving out the rest of the team.

10. WarHero says:

1. Benny
    2. Spacek
    3. AK46
    4. Cammy
    5. Carey Price, no.

11. shiram says:

Ya that captain America thing was a bit weird…
    After the super hero, i thought it was Randy Couture that had a “strangle-hold” on that name…

12. RGM says:

I saw the OT stuff – it’s a simple call to make. In that situation you never know whether the refs are looking for an easy call or not, so don’t give them the opportunity. You just can’t blatantly skate into a goalie when he’s in his crease. They brought that one on themselves.

13. ZepFan2 says:

Even if said autograph is somewhere on her body? lol

“The Soft Parade has now begun.
    Listen to the engines hum.”

14. RGM says:

Last paragraph = Bingo!

I could not care less about the Maple Leafs. They are not our competition, and have not been in a long time. Boston, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh – these are our three main rivals and they are the three teams I loathe the most. I love it when we beat the Bruins. I hate it when the Flyers take us out of the playoffs. I hate Pittsburgh every time we’re on the ice with them and I love seeing PK, Cammallerri, and of course Pricey stick it to them.

15. ZepFan2 says:

1) Pouliot

2) Spacek

3) AK

4) Probably G-Love.

5) Cammi. Hell yeah. I don’t have his money! 😉

“The Soft Parade has now begun.
    Listen to the engines hum.”

16. Mattyleg says:

Hmm, cool idea, not too hot on the American flag and the ‘Captain America’ thing. He’s Captain Canadiens.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Nah, doggy. I want it for the laffs to come to the last game of the season and Habs scoring a tie-breaker in the last 5 seconds to end their quest for making a playoff appearance.

Actually, come to think of it, I don’t really care what happens to laffs. I’d much rather Penguins didn’t make it. After watching Bettman’s golden boys whine and cry their way through the last couple of years they have become the most hated team for me.

18. habs001 says:

i know a lot more posters are convinced about pouliot than i am …he has now 2 goals in last 40 games and that has to be a concern…he has shown one scoring streak his nhl career that lasted 30 games but even some enforcer type players have had scoring streaks….i think he is no more than a 10 goal a season player and that would be fine if you are on a team that does not have another 4-5 players with even less scoring potential…if we are keeping pouliot for hitting than in the long run white can do a better job…we need more than 5-6 goal seasons out of pyatt,lapps,boyd,halpern,darche,moen if pouliot does not score otherwise we will need to pick up a scoring forward who can at least score 20 goals

19. SeriousFan09 says:

The second he started skating with the team everyone came out with their super-optimistic predictions (including Markov himself who wanted to play on Thursday) but I was pretty sure last weekend was an overly optimistic prediction, hate getting teased but even if he’s not here next week, looks like he’s back within the first 10 games of the year and that’s pretty damn good.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. sholi2000.com says:

1. Eller

2. PK (stat wise) I need more production for my hockey pool

3. Price

4. They’re just players, I have never said I have to meet this guy or that guy.  There are far more important things going on that I use hockey to distract me from the real world (wars!).  I was lucky enough to meet Carey, his dad Jerry, billets, and Pickards one night back in 07.  Have become friends with them ever since.

5.  My wife could care less about hockey, then again she’s from Manitoba, so no surprise.

They Call Me Shane

21. HFX-HabFan says:

1- Eller.  The next generation of the EGG Line!

2- Pouliot.  I wonder how long one “scorer” can be so snakebitten for.  And why does he fall down so much?!

3- Price or Kostitsyn.  Either way, it’s nice to have our own top ten picks playing up to their billing.

4- PK Subban played junior in my hometown and he’s an awesome personality.  We’d have a blast.

5- My wife and I aren’t the bar types, but we’re both huge fans of Josh Gorges, and I’d trust him.

22. avatar_58 says:

The link had been wrong for a week or so, I emailed them to get it fixed. I knew it looked sweet from the thumb 😀

23. SmartDog says:

Ah… good point. It’s not just the time on site, it’s also the ENGAGEMENT!

Heading out shortly to get that magazine.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

24. C3P1 says:

no i totally agree, I just hate when reports surface that hes coming back against like ottawa last weekened and then it just keeps getting pushed back, and back

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

25. Rudy says:

We are Watching, just not answering questions :)

1. Eller

2. Spacek

3. Price

4. Gorges

5. I’m single, so any of the single guys on the team!

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Need that knee to be 100% before he goes back in, he’s a skating defencemen and needs to feel comfortable doing high-intensity stuff. He could still get back in for Saturday.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. SmartDog says:

TEN ANSWERS to my 5 Questions below (not including mine) so far and TEN MEN.  No women.  You are NOT the Bobby Orr of Stats… more like the MAB of stats.  It’s not just the demographic data, it’s the frequencey and TOS.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

28. SlovakHab says:

1. Lars Eller. Good size and could develop fine with 2 vets.

2. Gionta. Pretty invisible so far.

3. It’s between Price and AK. Both are great. I kinda expected a bounce-back for Carey, but Andrei has really surprised me.

4. Scott Gomez. That would be a fun night out!

5. She likes nice guys, so probably Plekanec, Cammy or Eller. And yes, I would be.

29. helluva habs fan says:

I think we’re going to see more chintzy OT penalties this year in an attempt to reduce the number of games decided by shootout. Conspiracy!!  (har har)

30. C3P1 says:

Arpon Batsu reports that Markov will definitely not be in the lineup on thursday.  so much for a speedy return

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

31. forskis says:

It is amusing to see Leafs fans railing against the refs for last night’s game and accusing them of bias…it is almost like reading some of the postings on HI/O.

DId any of you watch the game last night?  I thought the no goal call on Versteeg was the right call…a great piece of hand-eye coordination, but he played it with a high-stick to get it to his feet and score, so no goal.  I missed the Tavares crease play.  However, the Lebda goalie interference penalty was chintzy and could have gone either way, sometimes it is called and sometimes it is not.  In any case, Lebda should not have risked it by skating unimpeded and bump the goalie, he had no defenders around him and just skated into him without even trying to get out of the way.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

32. Mattyleg says:

1. I’ll go out on a limb here and say Max Lapierre. He’ll tie people up  for Gomer’s set-ups and go to the net and make trouble for Gio’s shots. Think that’d be useful instead of another dangler.

2. Eller. Not that I’m disappointed in him, but that he is disappointed with himself, and was hoping to make more of an impact.

3. AK, without a doubt. That guy is on FIYAH!! Hope it holds up and that he doesn’t get injured, like the last two seasons…

4. Hal Gill. He’s around my age, and seems like a really good laugh.

5. Hmm, I think she said that Dustin Boyd was good-looking. I would be jealous because he’s a new guy and I don’t know him well enough yet to trust him with my g/f. 😉

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. SeriousFan09 says:

1. I’d say Eller, let him get his chance.

2. Spacek, shouldn’t bw this rusty this early.

3. Andrei Kostitsyn

4. Gomez, he’s a riot.

5. Unattached, so irrelevant question.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. bwoar says:

1. Pouliot.  Tough call since I don’t mind Moen there for grit.

2. Gionta, he’s invisible when not scoring.

3. Carey Price, thank you.

4. Hal Gill, he’s got stories.

5. Dunno, whoever the best-read and smartest one is.  Hell yeah, I’d be jealous.