What does Kovalchuk want?

And who’s going to give it to him?

L.A.? Nyet!

Two teams still in the hunt

Elliotte Friedman’s take

The lessons of this year’s market

Souray clears waivers

• Brian Burke keeps his promise

1. Bob Barker says:

Throw in Umberger too.

I think Filatov can be a much better player than either Pouliot or AK46 and especially Sergei. Martin at his worst is not as bad with young players as Hitchcock. If Martin tries to play him on the fourth line, then he’s an idiot. The Habs have plenty of capable third and fourth-liners. He’d be better off playing in Hamilton or in the KHL for another year.

I think given top-six minutes he’d put up a lot of points with Gomez and Gionta or Pleks and Cammalleri. I don’t see how he can be considered a defensive liability. He’s +3 in his career. He’s not a can’t miss prospect, there is some risk he doesn’t fully realize his potential but I feel it’s worth it considering he’d instantly become the most offensively gifted player the Habs have had in years.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

Guimauve was just about as gracious to the Habs when he gave his post-trade interviews about how he suffered greatly in MTL and they didn’t treat him right, please, he was never exiled to Hamilton no matter how lazily he played on the ice. He never used his talent when got ice time either, unmotivated and self-entitlement are not qualities that endeared him with his teammates anymore than Sergei did I bet.

We are well rid of both of them.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

3. likehoy says:

no they’re not..he’s playing second striker…or support striker off the left…he rarely enters the midfield but stays between the mid and suarez.

it’s more like a 4-4-1-1.

forland doesn’t tackle back and he doesn’t enter the defensive third ever.

schweinsteigger is playing just ahead of khadeira and behind ozil in a 5 man midfield, in a poking and prodding position that supports both flanks. he enters the defensive third.

another talented midfielder to take into consideration is wesley sneijder…who has been fantastic and outscored both aforementioned players.

p.s. fyi if forlan is listed as a 3rd string goalie, he’s not allowed to play as an outfield player.

4. Bob Barker says:

oh and he’s a lot better too.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s fully capable of making the Jackets of course, especially with their roster. But to me, this is way too close to the Sergei scenario, a guy who was benched for not taking defence seriously (Familiar?), with a coach who’s not known for being the best with young players (familiar?) and didn’t take well to only playing 5 minutes a game (familiar?).

We already have two serious question marks with Andrei and Pouliot to start the season, I like to think they’ll get going again but trading Markov for a guy who’s maybe going to be an impact NHL player is just too risky. If Markov is going to be moved, it’s going to be for at least one established NHL player and a top prospect.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. 100HABS says:

Hammer was a good signing. He helped develop some of our young d-corps and without him early last year, we would never have made the playoffs. He wasn’t at par at the end of the season.

In 2008-09, when he was out for a few weeks, you really saw a gaping hole.

I think players generate the revenue and (Gomez excepted) are generally not overpaid. Hammer was worth that contract so far. Next year, he might not be worth his pay, but we needed to make that offer to have him for the previous 3.

7. crabvader says:

Sure =D

8. Bob Barker says:

I wouldn’t put him in Sergei’s category. He didn’t demand a trade, he didn’t bad-mouth teammates. He’s also three years younger and hasn’t completely filled out yet. He will be at the Blue Jackets training camp, I think he’ll make the team.

9. SLONCOLD says:

in this case no. sergei was in the dog house here and a cancer with his talk about management and players…

the way i see it is he doesn’t and didn’t have a place on this team after the pouliot trade. he’s not a 3rd or 4th line guy so his talent was wasted here with 2 minutes of ice time a game.

10. SLONCOLD says:

not the habs because pouliot was a 4th overall pick and is big and has potential…….

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Philosophical Question for the Day:

If a mentally soft player with an attitude as bad as Sergei’s and the work ethic of Kovalev makes an impact on a bottom-dweller team, should anyone care?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. ed lopaz says:

here’s the deal with Boogard – there are a ton of fans in New York who still go to the games to see their

“goon”. even if he didn’t fight often last year, having a guy like Boogard sells tickets in New York.

also, there’s this “never back down” NY attitude, and when a team comes to play in NY, Sather has to be sure

that the fans’ pride won’t be hurt.

I hear what you’re saying – but Sather knows his market; they’ve done the research.

13. Bob Barker says:

Hopefully a first-round pick would come our way as well. From the interviews I’ve read I don’t believe he’s as much of a flight risk he’s being portrayed as. I’d say he has close to the goal-scoring potential of Tavares but is a much better skater.

If Markov is going to be traded, the sooner the better, because the longer the Habs wait the lower the return will be.

14. Bugs says:

They can have him listed 3rd reservist goaltender for all I care, they’re PLAYING HIM midfield.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

15. SeriousFan09 says:

So his being very talented, but non-physical and not taking playing 5 minutes a game well with a coach he can’t get along with makes him different from Sergei how? He’s not going to get along any better with JM than SK did I bet.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. crabvader says:

Still listed as FW on Uruguay’s national roster.

17. G-Man says:

Decent contract for Lats and Minnie. If he outscores AK again, who will be looking foolish…again?

18. PeterStone says:

5M per for 2 years to Kovalev.

My favorite is some people find it amusing that Sather would pay a Tough Guy, 1.6M$ per season .. especially considering that Boogard only fought 9 times last season .. what kind of lousy GM would give a fighter that kind of money … especially one who never fights …

stand. pat.

20. Bob Barker says:

He was playing 5 minutes per game. Not exactly the best way to develop a young player. I believe he had permission from Columbus to play the remainder of the year in the KHL as well.

21. Bugs says:

No worries. Honest misinterpretation.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

22. PeterStone says:

that too ….i just find it amusing that we call a guy who turned down 100M$ .. greedy

We should try and not use the words balls, speedo, stretch and uncover in the same thread.

24. Bugs says:

Yet, what position is he playing in this World Cup?

Forlan has been the best midfielder in this World Cup.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Filatov has yet to prove anything in the NHL at this point and he’s what I would call a serious flight risk to the KHL as it stands now, there’s still no word whether or not he’ll play for CLB next season. He may become a star but if Markov is on the trading block, the Habs can do a lot better than acquiring a guy who might never pull on the jersey for more than a season before going back to the KHL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. Bob Barker says:

I don’t think that deal would go down. I know if I were a GM I’d take Nash over Markov any day of the week, and I’m a big fan of Markov.

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Filatov went scampering back to Russia because he was benched a couple of times. it isn’t even sure he’s moving back to North America this summer.

Just what we need.

28. Bugs says:

Oh you meant THAT Escobar was involved in the drug trade and not Pablo Escobar? I get it. Andreas Escobar Saldariga (or whatever). Sorry.

He didn’t “get into a fight” though; an ex-bodyguard of Pablo’s just straight up pumped 12 bullets in’m. Went to jail for it too. Somethin about gambling losses. All business. Pure assassination.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

29. Gormdog says:

Ah sorry Bugsy, was scrolling through other posts and I remembered you saying something along the lines of “Schweinstieger has been a great midfielder so far but Forlan has been the best!”

Didn’t notice you and the proper information reconciled themselves, mea culpa!

30. ed lopaz says:

if we were trading Markov to Columbus, could we at least get Nash?

31. CERF says:

you would think that he would mask himself better.. but nope! straight to PG and BG being huge delinquents and how CP,SG suck and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hi im tony!

32. Bob Barker says:

I guess time will tell. If Filatov becomes the star most scouts thinks he will, then the trade is great from the Habs perspective. Markov’s a UFA next year, maybe he could pull a Doug Weight and resign with us next year.

33. crabvader says:

Forlan is listed as a FW/Striker anywhere you check online.

[Edit] Sigh, I’ll bow out of this conversation too as I thought the argument was that Forlan was not a Striker, lol.

34. cautiousoptimist says:

That’s what I mean though — relative to those other UFAs, he’s making more but also has far more to offer.  Again, if Armstrong is worth $3M, Plekanec is easily worth $5M.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  35. alestar says:

Like a bad smell, just won’t go away…

XXIV…and counting

36. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Maybe we should let PK get one NHL season under his belt before we declare he’s ready to fill Markov’s shoes.

37. nickster13 says:

id make that trade anyday

38. SeriousFan09 says:

That trade is so messed up I’m just going to call it a Milbury and be done with it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. crabvader says:

I love how he tries to change his writing style, too. Hahahah

40. Bugs says:

Agree with your statement wholeheartedly.

And I’ll pretend I didn’t see your PS as I know that in the meantime, you will have doublechecked your data.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

41. Bob Barker says:

Somebody tell Gauthier to hurry up and trade for Filatov. Columbus is in win-now mode. I’d even reluctantly trade Markov for him. Columbus gets their puck-moving D-man, Habs get young sniper with a low cap hit. Subban fills Markov shoes as OFD and either Weber or Carle make the team this year and help run the PP. Worst case scenario is the season’s a disaster and the Habs draft Sean Couturier, the elusive French Canadian superstar to annoint their lord and saviour.

42. crabvader says:

Sigh, here we go again…

43. ed lopaz says:

chemistry with AK 46? not sure about that one.

chemistry with Cammy – agreed.

44. CERF says:

hes back!!!

45. nickster13 says:

thats a good contract, If Lats keeps up his stats thats a great deal with low risk since its only 2 years

46. Puck Bard says:

Hate going backwards.

47. Drive_For_25 says:

Clearly he fits in with a lot of the other Russian players in that he wants the big contract with a team that doesn’t make the playoffs, or make a good run in the playoffs, because you only get paid for regular season (bonuses aside) and he DOESN’T CARE about winning a Cup.  He can go to the KHL with all other Ruski’s for all I care.

48. nickster13 says:

maybe he just really doesnt wanna play for the teams that have offered so far 😛

49. SLONCOLD says:

Kinda surprised no one is yappin’ about the Latendresse contract in minny for 5M over 2 years…

50. ed lopaz says:

yup.

also offered over 4 million to Komisarek last summer.

and, if I’m not mistaken, around 4 or 5 million to Kovalev.

51. Gormdog says:

Always liked Hammer. It’s a shame guys like him and Gomez get dumped all over for the amount of money they make, as if anyone here would say no to a sather-esque contract to play a game?

Oh and PS Bugs Forlan is a striker not a midfielder…. Bastien all the way!

52. ed lopaz says:

tony!!!

53. PeterStone says:

BG did offer him a 5yr 5M$ contract didnt he ?

54. mike g says:

They killed Andreas Escobar…

AT the time, he was the young star of the Columbian WC team that scored in his own net. Like you said, he went out to party one night soon after, got into a fight after some guys were bothering him about it, and bang.

That was it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

55. CERF says:

i’m with you!

56. PeterStone says:

IMO, if kovy was greedy, he would’ve signed for 100M$ which he was offered.  Maybe he’s … negotiating …

57. ed lopaz says:

Who ISN’T overpaid?

Josh Gorges

58. ZepFan2 says:

I couldn’t tell you. I watched the Escobar doc on TSN and the other on HBO.

I tell you, the Magic and Bird one was excellent.

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

59. Jbird says:

I was sober.

60. avatar_58 says:

Who said the Devils were a winning team? Trap hockey nonstop doesn’t always guaruntee a win. You could literally see the frustration mount in Kovalchuk, he was trying to do everything himself in the last few games.

Think Kovy + Ovechkin or Kovy + Crosby. The habs were a Kovalchuk away from a Stanely Cup. He needs to choose a team with goals and decent scorers.

61. Bugs says:

Who ISN’T overpaid?

Which guy makin MILLIONS playing a game a lotta folk would do for free is UNDERPAID?

C’mon.

The Hamr is all that. Love the guy. Great veteran contribution. Excellent signing for the Habs. Proud to have him on the team.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

62. G-Man says:

So, who do you think would pay him?

63. likehoy says:

damn…i guess ovechkin sucks too…

64. derfab says:

Hamrlik is overpayed but he was and remains our best D-man with Markov out.

65. twilighthours says:

Beautiful story about Brian Burke and his family.  Thanks for sharing, Boone.

66. avatar_58 says:

I still don’t understand why Kovalchuk wouldn’t take a 1-2 year 5-6 mil contract and get himself a cup or two. Imagine if he joined the caps or pens (before large blueline signings)?

Instead he demands money that only a bottom dweller with no stars can afford. I’m sorry but this tells me he’s greedy, not looking for a cup. If he’s as good as he thinks he is a short term contract on a winning team would only INCREASE his value.

67. Bugs says:

Escobar’s “INVOLVEMENT” in the drug trade??? His involvement??? He was the KING. The LORD AND MASTER of the drug trade. Was more than “involved”.

Until the Yanks shot him on the roof of his house and showed the corpse to his mommy, that is. “There’s your son, ma’am.”

We kinda figured the bad guys might be involved when they killed Saldariga (or whatever) after the own-goal took’em out of a tournament. ’94 in the US of A unless I’m mistaken.

Done gone walked into a bar he was drinkin in and blew’m away, easy as you please.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

68. Mr. Biter says:

Wow, BG was so dumb not to sign SS  an often injured d-man to a $5,500,000.00 5 year contract , while the oilers were so smart. Guess Bob was right. just think, what that cap hit would have done right now. For $500,000 i’d sign him to a 1 year deal for the PP, if the mighty MAB does not return. Also PK will be around a long time however Weber, I don’t believe is ready for prime time and may never be.

69. Rob says:

funny that you brought up Israel in conjunction with you support of liberty.  should ask the palestinians how they feel about Israel’s connection with the concept of liberty.  😛

70. mike g says:

I just checked quickly on the net, including ESPN.COM, for a complete box-set of all the ESPN Films made.

I couldn’t find one though, they just sell them individually for 15$. I know I can DL them off the net straight onto my hard-drive, but do you know if they came out with collector box-sets or something?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

71. ZepFan2 says:

No problem. Had many of those. 😉

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

72. Sheldon says:

Miss me?

73. crabvader says:

Betty!

74. cautiousoptimist says:

Aw come on, we didn’t overpay — sure Pleks makes more money than guys like Prospal, Cullen and Jokinen, but that’s because he has way more to offer.  Would you trade him for any of them?

Pleks got 70 points last year, defended leads and killed every penalty.  Aside from Marleau, who’s earning $2M more than him, none of those guys did that.  None of them even scored 60 points, and several didn’t even manage 50.  If a 3rd-line 29-point banger like Armstrong gets $3M, you don’t think Plekanec is worth $5M?

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  75. ed lopaz says:

slight correction – Zherdev was drafted 4th in 2003 – and played on the same team as AK46 CSKA Moskow.

I truly believe that the Habs were scouting Zherdev at a CSKA Moscow game, when they stumbled on AK 46.

they took AK46 # 10 in 2003 – notwithstanding his epilepsy, and the fact that he had missed most of his draft year injured.

its amazing how long NHL teams will wait for their # 1 picks to shine.

the scouts take a big hit when a #1 pick does not end up making an impact at the NHL level, a ton of

money, training resources, etc goes in to making sure these # 1’s pan out.